(Close Window)
Topic: Help Setting Up A Business As A Walkaround Magician
Hi,

I've been doing Magic and then mentalism for around 15 years but never professionally. I have a pretty decent set and am able to entertain people but know nothing about how to get started in the business side of things.

I want to study and learn about how to set myself up, specifically on the legal/business side of things. Insurance, paying taxes etc. The problem is that I don't know what I don't know if that makes any sense.

My question is whether there is a book or DVD that covers this information. My ideal book would be 'Dummies Guide to Starting A Business As A Walkaround Magician". Does anything similar exist in the literature. I'm not looking for a 5 minute fix and am willing to spend time and money to study the right material.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Edit: In case it's relevant, I'm in England.
Www.greatbusiness.gov.uk is a good place to start. Links to the variations for England, Scotland & N Ireland. :)
Good (free) & accurate advice here also :)
https://www.gov.uk/topic/business-tax/self-employed
Thanks Stu. That looks like a good place to start. Do you know if there is anything in the magical literature on this subject?
Not aware of anything but there's a couple of well versed members here who're likely more than happy to point you in the right direction I'm sure
:) on an iPhone so can't look them up easily...when I get to larger text I'll do that :)
[quote]On Oct 23, 2016, Yuan Moons wrote:
Hi,

I've been doing Magic and then mentalism for around 15 years but never professionally. I have a pretty decent set and am able to entertain people but know nothing about how to get started in the business side of things.

I want to study and learn about how to set myself up, specifically on the legal/business side of things. Insurance, paying taxes etc. The problem is that I don't know what I don't know if that makes any sense.

My question is whether there is a book or DVD that covers this information. My ideal book would be 'Dummies Guide to Starting A Business As A Walkaround Magician". Does anything similar exist in the literature. I'm not looking for a 5 minute fix and am willing to spend time and money to study the right material.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Edit: In case it's relevant, I'm in England. [/quote]

Here's one good source:

http://www.sixfiguremagic.com/
To start, you have to decide your market you will sell to. Then you need a promotional package, that means professional looking pictures, professional video of you and your audiences enjoying your work. Next a website that tells what value you bring to you potential clients to hire you.

Next is prospecting for clients.

Finally selling to those clients in person, by telephone, by email, by regular mail.

Learn to close every deal. Script your sales pitch, and learn to overcome objections that may arise form the clients.

As far as you setting up a business, contact an attorney, an accountant, and any other professionals you need for your business plan.

Get a good Contact Management program, learn it and use it daily, there will be a big learning curve here.

Finally, always believe in yourself.
Thank you Doug and Bill.

Has anyone used this package that Doug linked? It's by a magician named Lou Serrano and could be what I need.
[quote]On Nov 7, 2016, Yuan Moons wrote:
Thank you Doug and Bill.

Has anyone used this package that Doug linked? It's by a magician named Lou Serrano and could be what I need. [/quote]

Lou Serrano has been an active member of the Magic Café over the past few years, and if you search for posts mentioning his last name (search for "Serrano" on TMC, and even specifically in the Tricky Business area), then you'll find reviews of his course.

Here's one:

Magic Café thread titled... [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=443853&forum=44]Lou Serrano Marketing Course - An Honest Review[/url]

- Donald
Though I have not seen this particular course, Lou is one of the few I would trust for his information and his acumen.
Jamie Grant wrote an excellent book called The Approach.