(Close Window)
Topic: Now Unveiled from Dark Artifice: ORACULUM by Bobby Hasbun
Having been reminded of how much I have loved both Inferno and Codex V when I found Bobby's works mentioned on the elusive http://www.peculiarantiques.com, I contacted him to see what was new in his world, and whether he had anything he was working on that he cared to share...since there is (only) a hint shared at Peculiar Antiques.

For those of you who are not familiar with his first release in 2013, Codex V, check out the thread here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=527617&start=0 ... this has been a highly sought-after piece on the second-hand market. And for good reason. But don't take my word for it, read the experiences in those 17 pages of posts that folks have shared.

Then, a year later, Inferno was released by Bobby. Not only did he hit it out of the ballpark with Inferno (check out http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=567678&forum=14 and then check out http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=568121&forum=221 ), but it won the Magic Café's Trick of the Year award, an absolute first for the bizarre community (and yet to be repeated).

So, when he shared with me what he has up his sleeve for his forthcoming release, ORACULUM, I was intrigued (to put it mildly) when he wrote to me that ORACULUM "is something that will blow Codex V and Inferno away!" After describing it to me, I can honestly say I agree with that statement.

The captivating teaser for it is now up on his website, www.darkartifice.com in the Artifacts section. The teaser is only that - nothing is really tipped about ORACULUM and the website is still under construction so there's not a whole lot of information, but I am very excited for when Bobby will reveal some more meat on this effect. Perhaps he will come by when he is closer to releasing the effect and share a bit more in this thread.

I can not wait to see what Dark Artifice brings to the table. Given his track record, we won't be let down.
Well, I'm intrigued. Just that little promo teaser is more than enough. In a thread I was reading, Prof B.C. described something as giving 'the genuine appearance of doing real Medieval/Renaissance, dark-wizard magic.'...that's a flavor I really like, and that video gave off the same air. I'm far too late for the thing the good Professor was describing except on the second hand market, so I will be following this with interest. The only negative is it doesn't seem like there's an announcement email list to get on.
t
David, thanks for the share on Bobby's newest yet to come ! :-)
Well being I have both of Bobby's awesome works of art/effects & love them, this sounds quite intriguing !!
Thank you for the fyi, will be watching for this !
I own both of his previous effects and will own this also. Thanks for the heads up.
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Oct 30, 2016 10:13PM)
Great news! As a huge fan of his previous effects (which I still covet) I'm very much looking forward to this! Can't wait to hear more.
Well, what do we have here? It's a Halloween miracle. I've been waiting for this for some time now. What a tantilizing preview!

Bobby Hasbun has delivered two of the best artifacts in the dark collection of Bizarre with Inferno and CV. Can't wait to see what he rolls out next. This newest creation has all my attention. Thanks for the news, David!
Bobby has the knack for creating amazing effects with a real emotional punch. Codex V has gotten me a reaction deep and profound that I am yet to find another effect to compete with it. Inferno took thecstrong emotional punch and added a dark tinge to it. So naturally I am super keen to try out this new release from Bobby. It looks and sounds fantastic.
Finally! This is exciting news. Bobby's CV is an amazing book and one of the strongest routines I've written so far centers around it. But from what Bobby told me about this new book, this will be much MUCH better yet! Huge steps have been made both in production value of the book and method-wise from what I have heard.
Can't wait! Coming from Bobby I am sure this is going to be pure quality once again.
It seems like I missed out on Inferno. I had visited Bobbys website a few weeks ago and it was still available. The site is now down. May have to pander the classifieds to pick Inferno up now. I was lucky enough to get C0d3x though. Amazing book.
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Oct 31, 2016 07:50AM)
[quote]On Oct 31, 2016, topherhester wrote:
It seems like I missed out on Inferno. I had visited Bobbys website a few weeks ago and it was still available. The site is now down. May have to pander the classifieds to pick Inferno up now. I was lucky enough to get C0d3x though. Amazing book. [/quote]

Try shooting a PM to his [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_profile.php?mode=view&user=51744]Cafe profile[/url]. The chances are pretty good that he's still selling them. Maybe it just hasn't been converted over to his new site?
+1 Yay! I have both items he released.... look forward to the next!
I really enjoy Codex V (I'll be using it to this week).
His approach always seems to have a "Classic" take on things.
I have seen a peek into Oraculum and it looks like a dark masterpiece! Well done Bobby!
I await this with dark anticipation, inferno was a treasure and it seems this will be also
After reading reviews and doing some diligent research into Bobby Hasbun's creations, my interest has shifted to great anticipation of the release of ORACULUM. Research the café and you find some heavy hitters praising his genius in CODEX V. Some reviewers that I admire and trust had also contributed great ideas in the down under forums to what was to be another release of CODEX. That seems to have been put on the back burner as another trusted member David Eichler suggests, this latest creation could be Mr Hasbun's greatest work to date. A big statement it seems and something those who understand the depth of his previous works will be unable to ignore and less able to resist.
Hmm. The voice on that trailer sounds familiar. Haunting, even.
Well I didn't know anything about this until Pasteboard Alchemist tipped me off to this post. If it is anything like the other two effects then this is going to be great!
I heard this was being released before Xmas, has anyone any further information as to when the release date is?
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Dec 7, 2016 06:07PM)
[quote]On Dec 7, 2016, takeachance wrote:
I heard this was being released before Xmas, has anyone any further information as to when the release date is? [/quote]

I heard, unofficially, that it'll be out/shipping in January, but that preorders would be opening very soon.
Great, thanks Pasteboard Alchemist
Christmas is near. Any news about the unborn? :-)
Yes, would love to hear any updates on this project / possible release time from bobby :-)
Not too far away apparently. Can't wait!
I apologize for my absence here lately- it's been a busy last couple of years working on Oraculum and Oraculum LE. I've made every effort possible to ensure as quality a result as possible. I'll admit, many of the measures taken were only to satisfy my own perfectionist tendencies and likely won't make a difference once the book is put to use. When you have almost four solid years into a project, it seems shameful to cut any corners.

With that said, I had all the completed units in hand a month ago and they were even better than I had envisioned. Unfortunately, I noticed a binding error that, to me, was unacceptable. Currently, they are being cased all over again (this time correctly). At this point, it is quite safe to say it will be a January release.

I apologize for the delay but I can promise you it will be worth your patience.
Please keep us informed of it, your previous works were winners and this seems to be right on their tails
Bobby don't apologize, I think bizarrists likes perfectionist personality traits in general. Keep us posted but don't work too much during this Christmas break, enjoy your time too.
I'd rather wait for a better product Bobby, just take your time and let us know.
No apologies needed. I whole heartedly agree with the others - I would rather wait until you are completely satisfied before releasing this or anything else in the future!
These works of art that all of you create for us are nothing short of amazing on creation, research & production!! And your attention to detail which you strive for is immensely appreciated !!!!

I am happy to wait for a next year release at your discretion, so relax & enjoy the holidays with friends & family & we look forward to this when ready with your blessings of approval 😊
[quote]On Dec 18, 2016, bobbyhasbun wrote:
I apologize for my absence here lately- it's been a busy last couple of years working on Oraculum and Oraculum LE. I've made every effort possible to ensure as quality a result as possible. I'll admit, many of the measures taken were only to satisfy my own perfectionist tendencies and likely won't make a difference once the book is put to use. When you have almost four solid years into a project, it seems shameful to cut any corners.

With that said, I had all the completed units in hand a month ago and they were even better than I had envisioned. Unfortunately, I noticed a binding error that, to me, was unacceptable. Currently, they are being cased all over again (this time correctly). At this point, it is quite safe to say it will be a January release.

I apologize for the delay but I can promise you it will be worth your patience. [/quote]

Thanks for the update. Really looking forward to this.
I'm in line for this.
Anything from Bobby is well worth all of the patience it requires.

You just keep going from strength to strength, Bobby.

BC
Bobby puts mass amounts of thought and soul into his projects... This translates all the way across the effects....

I'm lucky enough to see Bobby perform personally and the emotional impact of his effects are astounding!
I really hope that I can lay my hands on one of these!
Is there a newsletter I can sign to not to miss it? Or is MC the only source of news for ORACULUM?
Hi Pawel, you can sign up for this particular thread in the upper right part of the screen. Greetings, Luc.
Thank you. I've done that already. I was just wondering if there is any official newsletter from the creator maybe. I will wait in the line as everybody else 😀
Oh, I see. I've tried that, too. But the new website is still under construction (as is the one by Alchemy Moon, by the way)... Bonne chance! Greetings, Luc.
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Jan 11, 2017 11:11PM)
Just heard that presales will be going up for this in less than a week, and that they'll be shipping soon thereafter.
Great news, thanks for the fyi !! Hoping to see a little more on his site about it before it goes presale.
PA, thanks for that update! Anxiously awaiting this release as anything from Bobby is an absolute gem!
[quote]On Jan 12, 2017, Merlinsmagic wrote:
Great news, thanks for the fyi !! Hoping to see a little more on his site about it before it goes presale. [/quote]

Yes, looking forward to more info.
Roll on, Dark Artifice. Can't wait! Pins and needles. Needles and pins.
A spooky little Raven has revealed to me that early next week we may delight in magnificent news of a new arrival to our "mystikal" plane of physical existence!!

:fyi: :genielamp: :readingbook:
[quote]On Jan 14, 2017, DocBenWiz wrote:
A spooky little Raven has revealed to me that early next week we may delight in magnificent news of a new arrival to our "mystikal" plane of physical existence!!
[/quote]
Yaaaa, do'in the Snoopy dance in anticapation !!
I have to admit, I'm really excited about getting this, and yet, I really have no idea what the heck I'm even planning to purchase. I've done what others have recommended and read the forums on the previous effects. What they accomplish makes me wish I had been paying attention when they were available. Now the newest effect is here and I'm definitely paying attention. Those of you with insight into this effect, can you share any information? Can this effect reveal birth dates like Codex V? What exactly can one do with it? If it's not public knowledge, can any details be PM'ed? Thanks!
Sir,

It is indeed along the same vein as the legendary Codex V. One of the many strong effects possible with Oraculum is a date of birth reveal, but taken to an entirely new level than Codex V. Rumor has it that Bobby has created an all new method for date of birth divination, and has also included a revamped version of the method found on Codex V. I have not seen said method, or the book itself, but knowing Bobby it will NOT disappoint.

The date of birth divination possibilities are just the tip of the iceberg. Oraculum has been rumored to go so much further. We are in for something big here. I have been camping at the bit for this to be released...now I am told it should be soon. Very soon. Like this next week sometime.

Hopefully Bobby will come along and share more when we can actually order it.

Take care,

David
Thank you for the details. That was exactly what I had hoped to hear. When this releases, I'll be right there with you. I'm beginning to think Spooky should be renamed "Pasteboard Frolics" at the rate it has me producing cards. 😊
I'm on the same page as good Sir. Does anybody know roughly the price of the new release? Just roughly? What are we more less looking at?
I just heard from Bobby and THE TIME IS HERE! Oraculum looks incredible - and knowing Bobby, it will be. I just placed my order for the bundle and cannot wait to hear more!

Rumor has it that over 40 of the SEs are already accounted for and 6 of the LEs (if you count mine).

http://www.darkartifice.com/artifacts/oraculum

What is Oraculum?

From the mind of B. Hasbun (creator of Codex V, and the 2014 Magic Café Trick of the Year award-winner: INFERNO), comes his most powerful creation to date: Oraculum.
"...A DARK MASTERPIECE." -Luca Volpe

Oraculum is a mysterious book of 366 date-of-birth profiles, riddled with spellbinding fortunes, dark forewarnings, and an unbreakable connection to the all-knowing Tarot. Its pages are graced by several charts, images, and illustrations- all hand drawn by an expert artist.

It is not a book test. Among its pages is encrypted a centuries-old secret that has yet to be deciphered. Its author and title are a mystery. Its age and provenance are vague. Some say it is fifty years old, others one hundred or more. Its secrets, however, are much older- ancient, perhaps.

With a page count of two-hundred, and an approximate size of six by nine inches, Oraculum's size and weight is substantial.

Of what is Oraculum capable?
- give a detailed reading based on your sitter/spectator's date of birth
- give a personalized tarot reading to each of your sitters/spectators without the need to carry a deck (or the need to know the Tarot and its meanings- Oraculum does it all for you)
- reveal your sitter/spectator's date of birth (down to the year, if you're so bold) without anything read aloud, any questions asked, anything written down, any peeks or glimpses, any pre-show work or confederates. Minimal, and in many cases zero, memory work is required. This can be accomplished with one of three, easy to perform, unique methods embedded into the pages of Oraculum, some more difficult than others but all of them worthwhile and well-justified. Oraculum is the strongest, most versatile date-of-birth divination tool of its kind
- multiple reveal options for date-of-birth divination available (through the Tarot, through the charts, and many more ways as explained in the manual)
- the book is fully examinable and can be read from cover to cover
- many non date-of-birth divination effects are possible. Perform a few of the most powerful Tarot card routines conceivable, using Oraculum as your guide and secret weapon
- so much more. The door has only been cracked...
What is the difference between Oraculum SE and Oraculum LE?

In terms of method and effect, Oraculum SE and Oraculum LE do not differ. It is in craftsmanship and aesthetics where they part ways. While Oraculum SE is made of the highest quality materials and is absolutely gorgeous (you really have to hold it to appreciate it), Oraculum LE is in a world of its own.

With its thick, antiqued leather (true leather, not bonded leather like most leather volumes), ribbed and rounded spine, and stunning hand-marbled endpages (not simulated, printed marbling), LE commands respect and intrigue before it is even opened. LE is perfect for the distinguished performer, the avid collector, and the lover of books.

Oraculum SE is limited to one hundred fifty copies and Oraculum LE to twenty two (one for each card of the Major Arcana). Both come with their own unique certificates of authenticity and will never be reprinted.

Aside from the wonderful performance possibilities the charts have to offer, there is an easter egg hidden in one of the them. The first to unlock it and email us with the correct solution will receive a 1 of 1 special edition of Oraculum. The solution will then be forwarded to all owners.

All orders will ship early February on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Seven... LEs now.

I foresee my wife killing me in the near future. 😬
Very exciting! My order is now in - I wonder if we'll receive a download link for the manual, prior to shipping?...

Interesting that it's offered aged and un-aged. I assume most orders will be for aged versions?
[quote]On Jan 17, 2017, Aurum wrote:
Very exciting! My order is now in - I wonder if we'll receive a download link for the manual, prior to shipping?...

Interesting that it's offered aged and un-aged. I assume most orders will be for aged versions? [/quote]

Aurum,

The manual will be sent along once the book ships.

The majority of orders thus far have indeed been aged. I think you will all be very pleased with the aging technique I've been developing.

Thank you for your support with this project!
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Jan 17, 2017 10:52AM)
*** you, Bobby Hasbun! I thought I was going to get out of this with just a LE (scratch off another available copy on the quick run down to zero) but the bundle is too good to pass up. My girlfriend is going to kill you. LOL

So excited this is finally here, and that I have another reason to break out my tarot cards!
Eight. Heh heh.
As predicted I got in on the LE version of this effect. I am very much looking forward to this effect, and look forward to decoding it.
9, however 1 less SE as well, went with the aged collectors set deal 😆
Lot's of partners getting their dinner made for them tonight!! Lol!
Well I cook for my wife most of the time & built her (us) a house, so I have a ton of extra credits......lol
I'm in...order placed. Thank You Bobby...!
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Jan 17, 2017 12:25PM)
First things first: there are only 5 LE versions left.

I was lucky enough to see proof copies of both versions shortly after the Autumn People Gathering a while back. While all the secrets/inner workings weren't revealed to me then, what I did see told me this was going to be a very special release.

The covers of what is now the "SE" and "LE" that I handled back then look to be the same as what is on the final versions. I loved the feel of the LE (and can't wait for my own to arrive now!) but I have to say... there's something about the SE. It had a different feel in my hands and really reminded me of some legitimate older books I own. I'm honestly torn which I'll be using more once mine arrive and I start performing the effects, because there's nothing "lesser" about the SE that I could see. Only different.
You already know Bobby's quality. I just want to throw in that the LE, while pricey, is quite fair. Real leather, not bonded, and handmade marbled endpapers really do NOT come cheap and WILL last for centuries. Your grandkids' grandkids will be performing with this miraculous book.

BC
And quality really justifies the expense. Reading a person's future is a very intimate experience. You're divulging secrets that are unknown even to the person themselves. The experience itself should be something rare and mysterious. It should make the spectator feel like they are special. I keep looking at that leather cover and thinking that when this book is produced in front of my spectator (for their personal reading) they are going to think to themselves, "oh, my god, what is that old book? I'm really in for something here."
And it seems like the LE edition of this book is sold out.
Outstanding! I am so looking forward to this. Well done, Bobby.

The LE is masterful, but something about that SE calls to me. PA's review above confirms it. I can already feel it in my hand. It reminds me of a certain sermon book that I've spent a couple of years with now.

Congratulations and Welcome, Dark Artifice!

EDIT:

PS Pasteboard Alchemist, congrats on your post count. Today you're "Halfway to Hell".
[quote]On Jan 17, 2017, jglumley wrote:
And it seems like the LE edition of this book is sold out. [/quote]

Great. One more time those of us who can't snap our fingers and crack out $200+ are **** outta luck!
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Jan 17, 2017 04:16PM)
[quote]On Jan 17, 2017, jglumley wrote:
And it seems like the LE edition of this book is sold out. [/quote]

I asked Bobby to confirm if these were indeed sold out. He said he had a certain number set aside specifically for "bundle" purchases (LE and SE together) and there are still 2 of those remaining. He's a reasonable guy, though, so I'd wager if one were to email him and ask him to make one available outside of a bundle, he would (so Afinemesh would only need to donate half his body's plasma, rather than completely drain himself.)

Edit: Thanks Perkins--I didn't even notice! And now I've gone and messed it up. :( Time for me to get more prolific at posting so I can hit the full 6's!
I noticed there is the option for aging the SE (& LE) editions.
I was thinking it would be an obvious choice that this book should be aged - so I am wondering if I am missing something?

Anyone care to share their thoughts on aged or not aged?

Thank you
[quote]On Jan 17, 2017, Sparrowhwk wrote:
I noticed there is the option for aging the SE (& LE) editions.
I was thinking it would be an obvious choice that this book should be aged - so I am wondering if I am missing something?

Anyone care to share their thoughts on aged or not aged?

Thank you [/quote]

Some folks prefer to do their own aging. Others may want to bury it in the earth and have their grandchildren unearth it in 50+ years to have it both aged and decomposed. I don't think decomposing is a service offered by Mr. Hasbun.
Aged means that you will beat dear Bobby into the ground, twist your heel into his spine, and sore his every muscle for the next two weeks because ageing books is a killing exercise (take it from one who knows), and ageing genuine leather is especially difficult.

I'd recommend that you go that route.

Sorry, Bobby, but we both know it makes a better looking book . . . you can return the favour when my next book comes out and recommend that they put me through my paces, too. Only fair.

Beautiful book, my friend. Heartfelt congratulations. All the success in the world with it . . . though it looks like it has already visited you, and I could not be happier for it. Well done, you.

BC
BC - Am I right in thinking this is Bobby's new book you alluded to in the Spectre manual? I wonder how long this creation has taken from start to finish??
[quote]On Jan 18, 2017, Aurum wrote:
BC - Am I right in thinking this is Bobby's new book you alluded to in the Spectre manual? I wonder how long this creation has taken from start to finish?? [/quote]
Absolutely right! Yes. It gives a little peak into just how long these projects really do take. Bobby's dedication and stamina (never mind his creative genius!) is really nothing short of Olympian.

BC
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Jan 18, 2017 02:31PM)
[quote]On Jan 18, 2017, PROF BC wrote:
Absolutely right! Yes. It gives a little peak into just how long these projects really do take. Bobby's dedication and stamina (never mind his creative genius!) is really nothing short of Olympian.
[/quote]

I forgot all about this, and Spectre is one of my all-time favorite books to use! Okay, now I'm really geeking out. The fact that I'll be able to integrate these two volumes has my head spinning and is ruining my workday productivity!
Here's an intriguing footnote on the Peculiar Antiques website that would be of interest to purchasers of the LE:

[i]Update: clients who own a standard Oraculum need not request a Legenda Aurea. These will be made available only to lux edition (LE) owners.[/i]

As to how one gains audience or access, however, I cannot say. Does anyone have details on this?
Well I'm glad I bought an LE, however the Oraculum already commands mysteries before public release 😲.....

Will be interesting what this is all about too & will most likely be requesting a Legenda Aurea, whatever it may be.....lol
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Jan 18, 2017 10:27PM)
Wow, I finally ordered this great book.

I was having a little trouble with the order, but it turn out that it wasn't Bobby's website. It was PayPal that had me scratching my head. It was easy to order and I am looking forward to having this.

Ray
Just ordered,didn't want to miss out
Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Legend

Luc.
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Jan 19, 2017 07:09AM)
The mystery deepens! I was already hooked when I read blurb from Bobby:

[i]"There is an easter egg hidden in one of the charts- the first to unlock it and email us with the correct solution will receive a 1 of 1 special edition of Oraculum. The solution will then be forwarded to all owners of Oraculum."[/i]

That's one easter egg I aim to solve!
It's all very intriguing and exciting!

I hope it isn't too easy to figure out... Those of us who are outside the US will be waiting a few extra days for delivery - arghhhh!!
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Jan 19, 2017 09:07AM)
[quote]On Jan 19, 2017, Aurum wrote:
I hope it isn't too easy to figure out... Those of us who are outside the US will be waiting a few extra days for delivery - arghhhh!! [/quote]

I wouldn't be too concerned–I'm not an especially bright person. :)
I hope the old Holmes adage holds: 'There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact'! :-) Luc.
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Jan 19, 2017 04:34PM)
[quote]On Jan 18, 2017, Perkins wrote:
Here's an intriguing footnote on the Peculiar Antiques website that would be of interest to purchasers of the LE:

[i]Update: clients who own a standard Oraculum need not request a Legenda Aurea. These will be made available only to lux edition (LE) owners.[/i]

As to how one gains audience or access, however, I cannot say. Does anyone have details on this? [/quote]

Interesting. I popped over to read said info and see if there was any other information about what it might be and figure out the *** puzzle, and I saw this:

[i]Update: clients who own a standard Oraculum need not request a Legenda Aurea. These will be made available only to lux edition (LE) owners. [b]Addendum:[/b] per the wishes of Oraculum's creator, all Peculiar Antiques clients (current or future additions) who also purchased Oraculumn will receive a Legenda Aurea regardless of SE or LE edition[/i]

So, it looks like this was changed so [i]any[/i] edition will get it if they're a client (?) of this site?

Also, as long as I'm posting... since I mentioned earlier seeing the prototype of this in action a while back, I've got a few PMs/emails from people asking me about the book's "reading" aspects. These people so far have asked me basically the same thing: "If I get this, do I need to know how to do readings or have the tarot memorized to use it?" I'm going to post my response publicly and, Bobby, if I stepped out of bounds then feel free to have this post deleted:

No, you don't. When Bobby did it for me, he didn't even do the reading part--the book did it for me. I'm sure he [i]could[/i] have done the reading part based on the tarot cards, but I'm pretty certain he wanted me to see everything that was in the book. This included the actual card interpretations that the book related to me... and were eerily spot-on, as was the fortune. So that was a little freaky. Anyway, the answer is the same for all questioners who contacted me, even though their experience varies: the book will match where you are. Need it to do everything? It did when I was presented it. Want to go deeper? Obviously you can take over aspects of the reading yourself.

Also, as long as I'm talking out of school... even owning Codex V, I could not figure out how he got the person's birthdate I was thinking of, nor how he set it up so the cards I ended up with matched what my fortune would ultimately be. I'm anxious to get my hands on the PDF because I expected a "souped-up" Codex V, and this was a whole 'nother animal.

That's about all the light I can shed having seen this in action. Hopefully that helps someone considering getting one before the SE's are gone as well... which I'm certain is nearly a thing.
[quote]On Jan 19, 2017, Pasteboard Alchemist wrote:
[quote]On Jan 19, 2017, Aurum wrote:
I hope it isn't too easy to figure out... Those of us who are outside the US will be waiting a few extra days for delivery - arghhhh!! [/quote]

I wouldn't be too concerned–I'm not an especially bright person. :) [/quote]

I can [i]never[/i] figure those things out! These contests with hidden codes that pop up from time to time are just like deciphering ancient Aramaic to me..! I'm always amazed and impressed at those minds that can just latch onto the clues and systematically work through the puzzles... I think Atlas had a site with different levels that could be unlocked by working through brain-numbing problems, and I was so impressed at how many seemed to crack them. But Atlas' brain is not like a normal puny human's...Paul Brook had some sort of puzzle running through his books that had a nice prize upon solving it... don't know if that was ever hacked. Anyway--best success to all who try!!

Seth :bigdance:
[quote]Also, as long as I'm talking out of school... even owning Codex V, I could not figure out how he got the person's birthdate I was thinking of, nor how he set it up so the cards I ended up with matched what my fortune would ultimately be. I'm anxious to get my hands on the PDF because I expected a "souped-up" Codex V, and this was a whole 'nother animal.[/quote]

That's really interesting, because a 'souped-up' Codex is exactly what I had in my mind!

[quote]I can [i]never[/i] figure those things out! These contests with hidden codes that pop up from time to time are just like deciphering ancient Aramaic to me..![/quote]

The first one I remember was Masquerade - I don't know how much coverage it received outside the UK, but here, it was massive... treasure hunters digging up graveyards etc. It generated a huge amount of publicity. Info here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masquerade_(book)
I'm so angry at myself for not checking my e-mail and the forum these 2 days. Missed out on the LE. :(
I would like to be a Peculiar Antiques client.
Just saying that out loud in case ears prickle and hear.
I'm happy to say I placed an order for the SE once I reached home. I can't help but keep reading the blurb on the website. The more I read, the more excited I am about the book and its possibilities. I haven't been this excited for a long time.
I also would like to be a Peculiar Antiques client. Not sure how at this point after visiting their side. But I'm hoping.
Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the thread, but are the pages of the SE aged? Thanks
[quote]On Jan 20, 2017, jaizon wrote:
Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the thread, but are the pages of the SE aged? Thanks [/quote]

When you place your order, you'll be offered a choice to get them aged or not. Apparently most folks are getting them aged, as I did.
Thanks
I grabbed my copy of Oraculum.

I've been a huge fan of Bobby Hasbun's work since Codex V, but I must say that Oraculum looks really spectacular. We are all lucky to have a group of such talented, dedicated artists working to create such magnificent props for us. They elevate our art. These are truly mysterious items that we can use to create and share a sense of real magic with people. I also appreciate that they are created in limited quantities.

Dr. SH receiving the scroll at ECSS was a wonderful moment of mystery. It was great to be reminded of what that feels like. I had the chance to examine the scroll up close and it is a marvelously mysterious object. I can't imagine the time, research, talent, and expense that went into its creation. I want to know what secrets it hides! I do want to thank the creator of the scroll for giving us all the gift of experiencing a real mystery.

Now I see that Bobby has planted an easter egg in the Oraculum for us to find. And I'm delighted to learn that Bobby's Dark Artifice has partnered with PA to bring us the Legenda Aurea -- I can't wait to see what that is! Oh, I'm working on the PA puzzle as well.

All of this newfound mystery in our community has me very excited. I can honestly say we are at a high point for excitement in our art. I know that this doesn't "just happen" and feel like these artists deserve our recognition and support.

I'm looking forward to receiving my Oraculum and Legenda Aurea! I am shivering with antici
PATION!!
(a reference for those of you who saw The Rocky Horror Picture Show as young 'uns...)
Thank you David.
Some times the answer is not enough. You have to know the question.
I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I must say this looks wonderful. Codex V and Inferno are excellent effects and ORACULUM SE looks to be another winner. Bobby has always been a first rate guy and I have had the pleasure of a few PM conversations with him. If you are thinking of getting this beautiful looking book, I would say based on his two previous effects, this is a no brainer!

Thank you again, Bobby. Looking forward to this!

Jorey
These are not going to last long. Fair warning to those on the fence.
I just ordered my copy of Oraculum SE and cannot wait to get it! These will sell out very quickly, I imagine. 22 LEs sold out in less than one day (and I'm so sad that I missed out) but I'm just happy I made it in time to get an SE.
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Jan 27, 2017 06:22PM)
Just emailed Bobby to pester him about when we'll be getting these things (sorry, I'm just that excited :) ) and he said shipment will be "on or ahead of schedule"--which was originally quoted as "early Feb".

Can't wait for this!
I believe there are only 12 left. Fair warning.
I just ordered one. Will we get a manual emailed prior to shipping?
[quote]On Jan 17, 2017, bobbyhasbun wrote:
[quote]On Jan 17, 2017, Aurum wrote:

Interesting that it's offered aged and un-aged. I assume most orders will be for aged versions? [/quote]

Aurum,

The manual will be sent along once the book ships.

The majority of orders thus far have indeed been aged. I think you will all be very pleased with the aging technique I've been developing.

Thank you for your support with this project! [/quote]
Really interested in the Peculiar Antiques site. I've visited several times and now that there is a Oraculum connection, I'd love to get in on this. I have the SE Oraculum preordered and also own Codex V. Hrmmm....
[quote]On Jan 30, 2017, topherhester wrote:
Really interested in the Peculiar Antiques site. I've visited several times and now that there is a Oraculum connection, I'd love to get in on this. I have the SE Oraculum preordered and also own Codex V. Hrmmm.... [/quote]

Me too, however it seems we are too late!
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 1, 2017 06:28AM)
[quote]On Jan 30, 2017, topherhester wrote:
Really interested in the Peculiar Antiques site. I've visited several times and now that there is a Oraculum connection, I'd love to get in on this. I have the SE Oraculum preordered and also own Codex V. Hrmmm.... [/quote]

I just looked this up and found that you need an invitation to order from this site. So how would a person order this item that goes with Bobby's book? Makes a guy go Mmmmmmmmmm.

Ray
Guess we're not cool enough to know the secret handshake!
Starts shipping in early February.... Hey, today is early February! (sorry, I'm just a tad excited) 😬
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 1, 2017 11:11AM)
[quote]On Feb 1, 2017, topherhester wrote:
Guess we're not cool enough to know the secret handshake! [/quote]

Yea, we are not the cool kids...... :)

Hey, here is a nice handshake, grip tight, pull toward you and raise your knee up as hard and as powerful as you can into the person's man bits. Now that is a handshake someone will remember. :)

Ray
I have an inkling that once the book ships, Bobby's accompanying email might shed more light on the Peculiar Antiques thing... though I don't know how the LE vs SE issue might play into it...
Thank you all so much for your patience! Everything is still on track to ship early February- I think at this point it is safe to say that shipping will begin around Monday, February 6 on a first-come, first-serve basis. Every order placed to date should ship not long after that.

I'd also like to thank you all for the great support. The 22 LEs sold out in less than one day, and a large portion of the 150 SEs are now spoken for, as well.
[quote]On Feb 1, 2017, Seth speaks wrote:
I have an inkling that once the book ships, Bobby's accompanying email might shed more light on the Peculiar Antiques thing... though I don't know how the LE vs SE issue might play into it... [/quote]

I can shed light on that

To paraphrase Max Maven - Mr. Hasbun’s Oraculum “is a thing of terrifying beauty”

Oraculum is so good in fact that I could not but help commemorate its release among the Peculiar Antiques clients. The Legenda Aurea is unofficial but made with Mr. Hasbun’s permission

There appears to be interest in the Legenda Aurea beyond the Peculiar Antiques client base. So I will send Mr. Hasbun 3 or 4 extra copies for him to randomly distribute to purchasers who are not also my clients

Oraculum is a real treasure. Legenda Aurea is just piece of paper :)

I hope that helps. Thank you!
A Peculiar voice! Welcome!

And thank you for any contributions that deepen the mystery surrounding Oraculum.
[i] "There appears to be interest in the Legenda Aurea beyond the Peculiar Antiques client base." [/i]

There appears to be interest in Peculiar Antiques beyond the Peculiar Antiques client base.
Agree with Perkins--wonderful to have Peculiar Antiques speaking among us now! Welcome, whoever you are, and I'm certainly looking forward to your contributions here, whether shedding more light or casting mysterious shadows.

Your work on that scroll was beyond incredible. Some of us visit your site on occasion just to peer through the dark window with longing, like children outside the gates of Wonka's factory...
Any word on Oraculum shipments ?
[quote]On Feb 1, 2017, bobbyhasbun wrote:
Thank you all so much for your patience! Everything is still on track to ship early February- I think at this point it is safe to say that shipping will begin around Monday, February 6 on a first-come, first-serve basis. Every order placed to date should ship not long after that.

I'd also like to thank you all for the great support. The 22 LEs sold out in less than one day, and a large portion of the 150 SEs are now spoken for, as well. [/quote]

Always pays to read the thread
Just received an email informing me that the goods are on the way. Can't wait to get my hands on this!
[quote]On Feb 5, 2017, Dr. O wrote:
Just received an email informing me that the goods are on the way. Can't wait to get my hands on this! [/quote]

Me too!! :)
Me 3 !! 😃
And I also. Can't wait. Tracking number included.
Shipping confirmation. The wait is over! 😬 ...or has it just begun? 🤔
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Feb 5, 2017 11:01PM)
Reading the performance manual has me more excited than I already was, which didn't seem possible. The open-ended nature is brilliant, and I'm already bubbling with new ideas before the book is even in hand. I'm very much looking forward to circling up with some other purchasers to see what additional effects we can wring out of this. :D

Some genius work in this one, Bobby--great job!
I do echo what Pasteboard Alchemist said. In addition, This has taken the workings of Codex V to a whole new level. That being said, I know there are a few things that will make sense once we actually get the books in our hands. Those lucky enough to have purchased this are in for a serious treat...
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 6, 2017 09:39AM)
Wow, the PDF kicks AZZ.........

I love the tarot idea.....

Anyone known about the little item (I think on page 14-15) that was mention about an addition to use with the book? I couldn't find it at the mention website.

Ray
Http://www.promystic.com/shop/page/7/
Any ideas on the "clue"
To quote:

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
:-)
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 6, 2017 02:18PM)
I went to Staples to print the PDF and have it bind and was told, no way. I guess that you need written permission from Bobby to have it printed out. I even had another PDF with a couple of things that I wrote up and was told even if you are in the PDF, no way.

I hate reading a PDF on a device.

Oh well..

This book is going to be a home run.

Ray
Yep, I will be using my printer for my own personal use. I invested in a ton of ink, hopefully my printed doesn't go toes up on me anytime soon...lol
[quote]On Feb 6, 2017, jglumley wrote:
To quote:

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" [/quote]

Pondering the impossible tis a waste of ones time, the games afoot Watson !!
I require more data.
[i]"... the soon-to-be-released Dark Artifice Tarot"[/i]

Yes, please.
[b]-FYI-[/b]

A forum has been established in the Crypt for any sensitive discussions on the current topic.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=635039&forum=221
Looks like I'll be the first to post a review.
Living in the same area as Bobby, I received my LE and SE in the mail today.
Full disclosure - I consider Bobby a friend, BUT...that does not mean I can't be objective.
Sure he's a bizarre genius and incredibly talented, but he is homely. Seriously...weird looking. It's side-show caliber.
See, I can tell it like it is.

Luckily for us, that disability doesn't impact his bizarre magical products.

Okay, have you heard about Codex V? It sold out incredibly fast; before many people here even heard the name Hasbun.
Now, it is selling for astronomical prices on the second-hand market (that is, if you can even find a copy for sale).
Run a Café search on Codex V and read the rave reviews. It was universally loved. (go ahead, read the reviews...and don't feel bad because I got some great news coming up).

Remember Inferno? It won magic trick of the year here on the Café. A bizarre trick with handmade props; competing against mass produced tricks for "regular magicians." Consider the size of the prospective customer pool. "Magicians" vs. Bizarrists. Winning trick of the year is a feat that may never be accomplished again.

Review time:
Codex V - 9 of 10
Inferno - 10 of 10

Oraculum - 11 of 10 Seriously. It's my favorite.
Every Bizarre performer needs to have this.
Every mentalist needs to have this.

It is better than Codex V. If you missed out on Codex V, don't worry. This is sooo much better.
If you missed out on the LE version, make sure you get the SE before it's too late!!!
If you miss out, you will hate yourself (and end up selling most of your possessions trying to buy it second hand).

Depending on how you play it, you can bring tears to eyes of your spectator OR give them nightmares.
(more on this in a separate post - or down below).

Think I'm over selling it? No. It's the best effect Bobby has released. Has he ever let you down?
Bobby said this has been a five year project. I was able to witness a large portion of Oracullum's development.
Just when I thought it couldn't get better, new and amazing effects were added.

As you read the PDF, remember...there is more to come. Ideas. Presentations. Soo much more.
Thanks for the great review, Randy.
Mine is slated to arrive tomorrow.
I can't wait!!
Yep, mine shows wed also ! Yaaaaa
Decided to close shop wed to stay home & stalk the postman.....lol

Thanks for your review, now I'm really eager to have my SE & LE in hand tomorrow !
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 7, 2017 09:07PM)
I got the PDF and no tracking number. I am hoping it will be mailed by this weekend.

This is going to be a cool item. I am already thinking of things to use with this thing.

Ray
That is a seriously encouraging review. Since I have Codex and Inferno, I can't wait. I think it arrives tomorrow. This will be the first one of the three effects that I have gotten on it's initial release. And Bobby is very responsive and helpful regarding his releases. He deserves the praise. There are not many of the SEs left. If you are thinking about this one, I would suggest jumping on it right away instead of wishing you had later.
I've received a couple of PMs asking about the aging.

I ordered the LE unaged and the SE aged. (The LE is for my collection and the SE for performing).
The difference between the two is staggering.
The LE looks like a brand new book just delivered by Amazon.
The SE is aged perfectly (in my opinion).
It looks like an old book that has been taken care of...as you would such an important book.

In my opinion, the aging of books in the bizarre community has improved exponentially in the last five years.
I really don't want to start a debate about aging.

Personally, I'm done performing with books that look like they've been flushed down the toilet.
Brown (tea/coffee) stains and warped pages.

You're going to love this.
I haven't received a tracking number yet either...I keep checking my email, so I know I'll have the shipping confirmation soon...!!! :rotf:
Thank you all so much for the kind words.

Every order placed to date will ship no later than this Friday. More than two thirds of orders shipped on Monday, as promised.

@docdazzal, I can ship yours this week with everyone else's- or we can set a time to meet in person like we did with Codex. Shoot me an email and let me know.

@Magical Dimensions, Your order shipped yesterday. The tracking number may have gone to your spam folder, but I prompted the website to send it to you again.

SEs are running quite low!

Thanks again to everyone.
Hi Bobby , I have sent you the solution of the puzzle thru email, did you see it?,
Just get Bobby's reply, I think I will solve the puzzle very soon after receiving the book
Thanks for the review. Mine should arrive tomorrow (I have my fingers crossed)! I look forward to having the book in my hands !
Here I am getting sucked into another purchase because I would hate to miss out. I'm sure I'll love it, all of Bobby's items have been great so far. I wonder if this will replace my Codex V? Do I need both? Time will tell, Oraculum ordered. Aged, of course.
Astounded at how quickly my copy has arrived in the UK.

Delighted I chose the LE version, it's beautiful. The evolution from Codex to Oraculum is significant. Combined with a favourite tarot deck, this book carries an immense amount of power.

Thank you Bobby :)
[quote]On Feb 8, 2017, steven-gibson wrote:
Here I am getting sucked into another purchase because I would hate to miss out. I'm sure I'll love it, all of Bobby's items have been great so far. I wonder if this will replace my Codex V? Do I need both? Time will tell, Oraculum ordered. Aged, of course. [/quote]

Steve, I'm in the same boat, I ordered one last night so as not to miss out.

Dabbler
Package waiting for me at home. Not long now.....
Edit: My error. Had it sent to the office and just opened it.
Very pleased with the aging. Subtle as a well cared for OLD
book should look. Digging into this tonight.......
Mine has arrived. I love the way it is wrapped with a wax seal. Can't wait to delve into it.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 8, 2017 12:58PM)
Holy cow, I love the wax seal on the paper wrapping. It adds to the overall feel. I just open the package and like what I see. I can't wait to dig into this later today....

Ray
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Feb 8, 2017 01:59PM)
Finally got mine! I'll post more thoughts in the future, I'm sure, but I wanted to touch upon the aesthetics. As a Creative Director by trade, it's of the utmost importance to me. In that regard, I have to give kudos on a few aspects right off the bat:

- The typeface is excellently chosen. I cringe every time I see a typeface in a bizarre prop that was made long after the prop is supposed to be. The use of Baskerville immediately jumped out at me. As a mid-1700s typeface, it opens up hundreds of years this could be from. Well done, there. A rarely-used typeface these days, but it was immensely popular in the late 1700s.

- The smyth-sewn binding is very well done. While I don't think a spectator would necessarily notice, for an obsessive like me... that's fantastic. No expense was spared in the binding of this, that much is obvious.

- The real, hand-marbled end papers and real (not bonded) leather cover of the LE have already been mentioned. But, they're so nice that it warrants repeating. The whole book is just... sexy.

Now, to actually dig in and be further impressed with the actual content/effect....
Just received my LE & SE, love the packaging - I opened them up carefully to preserve the original wrap & seal & tucked away with the coa's in each.

Both Oraculums are gorgeous !! The LE is breath taking from cover to cover & as are the marbled end pages - can't get the WOW large enough !!!!

Owning a CV which I love, Bobby has definitely taken the Oraculum to an amazingly awesome piece of art as well as an open ended effect that can be played light or very dark !!!
VERY happy that I invested in both books & have been considering other ideas & items to use with this, like maybe a hedge tarot.....?

If there are any SE's left on the fence, those whom wait may find sadness after.....

Thank you Bobby for these amazing books of wonder & fast shipping !!!!
Do I really need another book effect? I mean how many can I do in one show? I don’t change it that often? Maybe I’m just collecting them on a shelf, hoping the COA won’t fall out of it so I may remember which ones have the gaffs. Or the COA’s remind me of their existence for when I’m too old to remember or stop performing.

I’m thinking I might just sell these expensive tomes and give them to people who may actually use them.

What I say next has nothing to do with selling more copies. Bobby doesn’t need my help to do that and most likely they are very close to selling out, so read on.

Bobby thank you for spending the extra money to ship Fed Ex two days to me that was beyond the call. So nice not to have to wait and worry for weeks when it comes to purchasing at this level. When I returned home and opened the wax seals on the books, I was immediately impressed with the quality and tactile feel in the hands. This is very important as they feel special right away. All the way through the spine to beautifully colored endsheets meticulously glued to the inside cover. Attached to thick flyleaf. With lightly yellowed page ends, the attention to detail is one of the best I have ever seen. These are wonderful books to behold.

You can smell the quality in the leather and the burned Ouroboros is epic on its own, not to mention the raised spine. The cloth version is understated, with good weight and embossed logo. It’s hard to pick a favorite, you can’t go wrong.

The content is arranged in a logical easy to reference format and the font and images have an “ancient” appearance that subtly speak to the reader without calling attention. Its also a good sized font.

Bobby took his time to write thoughtful meanings into each Tarot explanation and from what I can tell the individual birthdays. This is the most important aspect of the book. It’s what captivates the reader. No daily horoscope tropes found here.

The method and routines are easy enough to remember, unlike a lot of other books on the market. The book infuses tarot readings with birthday reveals. There is no stronger way to connect with participants than to talk about themselves and let them discover the secrets in waiting. I need to spend more time with this book but I couldn’t put it down. I was up very late studying it. The master Timon Krause provides a handling for Codex V. While other notables lend a hand on this project to much success.

So do we need another book effect? Well if you only ever had this one you could throw the rest away. At this stage I don’t think anything will hit harder or be more fun and engaging for the person who comes in contact with it. Don’t worry about not getting the leather one. That Hall of Famer goes on the shelf with the COA under a glass dome with a warning sign that says “Beware unknown source of infection, avoid touching”.
PS - This has my pre vote for best trick of the year 2017 & best purchase in bizzare for Ghostie 2017 !
I second that nomination!
I am amazed and know not what I can say more.
All praise above is accurate and worthy.
The book is a work of high mysterious art.
The aging is sublime on this cloth edition.
The methods...entirely wonderfully humane.
Nothing here not to love.
All Hail Bobby Hasbun!
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 8, 2017 06:16PM)
[quote]On Feb 6, 2017, Perkins wrote:
[i]"... the soon-to-be-released Dark Artifice Tarot"[/i]

Yes, please. [/quote]

Wow, this would be sooooooooo cooool....

Ray
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 8, 2017 06:29PM)
Hey, what would make a good book marker? Since we are using tarot cards (if you wanted) how about a cool old looking pointer? That would add to the overall look and feel. Any ideas?

Ray
Yes I am also very curious & highly interested in these DA tarots too, especially if these are designed with his Oraculum in mind !

Looking forward to more info & pics of these soon 😊
Absolutely brilliant. I will get a lot of use out of this.

Thank you Bobby for producing a truly beautiful work of art.
How is everyone getting on with the riddle?
[quote]On Feb 8, 2017, Pasteboard Alchemist wrote:
Finally got mine! I'll post more thoughts in the future, I'm sure, but I wanted to touch upon the aesthetics. As a Creative Director by trade, it's of the utmost importance to me. In that regard, I have to give kudos on a few aspects right off the bat:

- The typeface is excellently chosen. I cringe every time I see a typeface in a bizarre prop that was made long after the prop is supposed to be. The use of Baskerville immediately jumped out at me. As a mid-1700s typeface, it opens up hundreds of years this could be from. Well done, there. A rarely-used typeface these days, but it was immensely popular in the late 1700s.

- The smyth-sewn binding is very well done. While I don't think a spectator would necessarily notice, for an obsessive like me... that's fantastic. No expense was spared in the binding of this, that much is obvious.

- The real, hand-marbled end papers and real (not bonded) leather cover of the LE have already been mentioned. But, they're so nice that it warrants repeating. The whole book is just... sexy.

Now, to actually dig in and be further impressed with the actual content/effect.... [/quote]

I'm a Creative Director as well and second everything said here. The line art is also well done as it does not show any evident pixels which can be seen in even some of the best bizarre book tests. I purchased the cloth bound and love the blind emboss on the cover. Another nice touch. So nicely-done through and through. Even the faux wax seal in the packaging is cool. The devil is in the details.
Now you guys make me wanting to get the LE, my package will only be in middle point tomorrow, FedEx announced that there will be some delay due to storm
The LE is absolutely worthy of display in a collector's case. But you can bet I'll be putting mine to work. Books like this are just begging to be opened and read. The leather cover is outstanding. It smells like the interior of a BMW. One touch (or sniff) of this book sends a strong message about the quality.
[quote]On Feb 8, 2017, joemcdull wrote:
Now you guys make me wanting to get the LE, my package will only be in middle point tomorrow, FedEx announced that there will be some delay due to storm [/quote]

I thought the LE's were sold out!
Yep, all 22 LE's sold in the 1st day, so unless one is found on the second hand market - & most likely at a premium price.....
No, there is one more when I solve the riddle
If the riddle is solved that one is a special 1 of 1, neither an LE or an SE.....
Which I can't imagine how awesome that one must be !
Mine is at the post office waiting to be picked up. But I am stuck at home in the middle of a blizzard. Arrrrrrggghhhh.
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Feb 9, 2017 09:55AM)
[quote]On Feb 9, 2017, jaizon wrote:
Mine is at the post office waiting to be picked up. But I am stuck at home in the middle of a blizzard. Arrrrrrggghhhh. [/quote]

I'd risk it. :)
Me too!
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 9, 2017 10:56AM)
[quote]On Feb 9, 2017, Pasteboard Alchemist wrote:
[quote]On Feb 9, 2017, jaizon wrote:
Mine is at the post office waiting to be picked up. But I am stuck at home in the middle of a blizzard. Arrrrrrggghhhh. [/quote]

I'd risk it. :) [/quote]

Dude, as long as your man-bits don't freeze, you are GOOD to go!
Gentlemen, I appreciate your support, but 8" on the ground already with another 8" to come (maybe more), so it will just have to wait until tomorrow. As they say, it's not fit for man or beast.
I love the Oraculum. I had to get out my Codex and compare them sid by side. Takes it to a new level. And I am also interested in possible DA tarot deck that can be used in conjunction with this effect. So many possibilities.
SE in hand, here in the great NW.

Gorgeous work. I know you LE lot love your leather bound, but I'm here to tell you there is such a tremendous and genuine 'weight' to this tweed-bound book. It slots into my world perfectly. I couldn't be happier with the production. Real finesse and attention to detail here. Thank you, Bobby.

Now, about those Dark Artifice tarot cards...

Many thanks, sir!

Perkins
[quote]On Feb 10, 2017, Perkins wrote:

. . .there is such a tremendous and genuine 'weight' to this tweed-bound book. Now, about those Dark Artifice tarot cards...

Agreed, and yes, very curious about the DA Tarot!
Quite beautiful. Wow.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 10, 2017 06:18PM)
What would be the correct item to use to write in this book?

Ray
I think a good old fashioned pencil would be fine Ray. They've been around for a long time. Also, a fountain or quill pen would look beautiful. The uneven strokes say "old."
I have been fiddling with the SE version for a couple of days and I refer yo to The Crypt for quick "Down & Dirty review" & comparison to Codex V.
[quote]On Feb 10, 2017, Magical Dimensions wrote:
What would be the correct item to use to write in this book?

Ray [/quote]

Bear in mind that styles in handwriting change every generation (about every 20-25 years) owing to teaching methods, social need, and evolving writing instruments. A 19th-century hand looks very different from a 20th-century, and even letters written during WWII are noticeably different from Vietnam-era writing. Today, children are not even taught cursive writing (!), so in a very few years (already, in fact) our 'normal' hand will look quite dated.

I would not use a quill as they quite predate the modern manufactured book. A fountain pen or dip pen would be a fine choice, but only if you dilute the ink (with water) considerably (at least 50-75% water--experiment first and ensure the ink dries looking fairly faded) and only if you can emulate the handwriting of another generation (or know somebody who can)--a calligraphist would be ideal because the 'art' of handwriting has not changed in over a century and a half.

A pencil is probably the safest option. As already stated, pencils have been around a very long time. Again, however, be aware of handwriting issues.

Additionally, having somebody else do the writing in your book obviates the issue of anyone ever *recognizing* your handwriting there.

BC
Sorry Prof. I misspoke. I meant dip pen and not a quill pen.

Never thought about the writing styles but of course you are 100% right. I don't even know if I remember how to write in cursive. I gave it up in college when I chose design as a profession...printing was the only permitted writing due to its clarity.
Hello All...

Today I had the privilege to meet with Bobby and picked up my copy of the Oraculum from him. Since I live not too awful far from where Bobby lives I have the advantage to meet with Bobby and pick up my copy.

We all know how special and what a fantastic prop Oraculum is...and I couldn't be more pleased with my copy. I love this item...the look, the feel, but more importantly, the effects that are possible with this very "magical" book.

What I wanted to elaborate on just for a moment...is my meeting with Bobby today. What a genuine, friendly, and knowledgeable guy. Upon opening my book with Bobby...he proceeded to share with me the basic effect and then he went into more detail of the workings and secrets of this phenomenal book. And I want to take this opportunity to thank Bobby here in "public" as it were...for his gracious and magical sharing with me. I do indeed, feel privileged to have had this experience with him.

As for Oraculum itself...I'm afraid our clients and audiences don't have a chance as we are armed with a prop that is capable of giving our audiences an experience they'll remember...and for many, will probably never forget. We as mystical performers could make a living using just this one item...needing no other props save a Tarot deck (especially if the deck is marked).

Thank You Again Bobby...You're One-of-a-Kind...

Warmest Regards,
Dan
Oraculum will be something I will use extensively 'till the end of my days. As one noted above, the feel of the leather of the LE is amazing; when held in a sitter's hands, that in itself will speak to them. Reading the description, I was concerned there would be illustrations of a specific tarot deck involved. There are not, leaving you to use the deck of your own heart's desire... I am always astounded when I receive a magical item that is truly useful and that will be put to use often. It happens rarely it seems. What a joy to have this. I am very grateful.
[quote]On Feb 11, 2017, docdazzal wrote:
We as mystical performers could make a living using just this one item...needing no other props save a Tarot deck.[/quote]

This is all I meant when I asked (down below) why the add ons. No offense to anyone who uses them.
I just have a little test run with it yesterday, once I do the reading with one people, other people around are eager to read their own fortune in the birthday section, they don't care if I know their birthday, they just telling me directly, it is interesting even without the 'trick' now. if you are familiar with Paul or Chris's material, they always stress the similar thing, to do something close to real and the use the "trick" to enhance it, in this case giving personal readings. I must admit I am still green on bizarre performance, a senior mentalist once said to me bizarre magic are only for those who don't work, although I respectfully disagree, I didn't know the answer at that time. However by using it, as well as researching and test run on spectre (yes, you need to research the meaning of it especially I am from Hong Kong, English is not my mother language), and a re-read of the old Kadar manual, it seems I can slowly connecting the dot of bizarre magick.
As for the riddle, I still not able to figure the last two sentences, if you can see my desk, there are slips of paper all over the place, as much as I want to win the special edition, l really encourage everyone to try it, it is quite enjoyable to solve
Not even bothering to solve the riddle, it's obvious the "graph" is a means to surreptitiously discern the sitter's zodiac sign. But...you already knew that.
**** how did I miss this... ordering right away.

Love my Codex V.
Just got my copy of Oraculum and all I can say is ... wow! When I first read the PDF, I was impressed, and could see right away how this would fit in with what I do. But after getting the book in my hands. and fiddling with it, just so many possibilities come to mind. I'm working on using this with Chris Gould's Alchemy Square and I think the combination will be amazing. I always get good reactions with Alchemy Square, and now with Oraculum enabling me to get the birth date before I even start ... well ... I'm a god! (Not really). But honestly, this thing is dynamite. Great job, Bobby!
I got my copy yesterday and I looooove it! I feel lucky to own this Oustanding, Rare, Aged to perfection, Ciphered, Unique, Luminous, Ultimate Magic(k)al Book!!! Thank you Mr. Hasbun.
That's not the riddle, its a clue to the riddle.

[quote]On Feb 11, 2017, joemcdull wrote:
As for the riddle, I still not able to figure the last two sentences, if you can see my desk, there are slips of paper all over the place, as much as I want to win the special edition, l really encourage everyone to try it, it is quite enjoyable to solve [/quote]
Received mine last week, and this is an outstanding piece of work. As I told Bobby, I feel this really evolves CV to a new and far improved level. His work on the prop alone is extraordinary, but the brilliant multiple methods embedded in the content just make my head spin. I'll be posting more thoughts and ideas in the Crypt, but I just wanted to give a shout out and say how genuinely amazed and impressed I am with this.
Having been out of town when Oraculum arrived, I have now had a chance to enjoy it over the weekend and on this day recuperating from over a foot of snow overnight. There are several noteworthy pieces about this book that I really appreciate. Others have provided their observations around its quality, multiple methods embedded into the book, quality of the aging so as to allow it to pass for a well-cared-for older book of inexact age, and overall aesthetic appeal, so I will not belabor those comments - all wonderfully valid.

My additions to what have already been shared include my sincere enjoyment that Bobby chose to not use formal title pages, page numbers, or an over-abundance of pictures. He has chosen a more text-based prop which, in my opinion, adds to its ambiguity. Without as much definition, it allows more of a sense of possible wonders we work with it. Even so much as to allow one to rip out a page. Brilliant thinking!

I also appreciate the COA that simply names a single major arcana card. A nice touch!

David
Dang, you guys got walloped on the east coast. Even here in Ohio's snow belt I felt sorry for you.
I was looking at my SE copy and I think the cover would look better if the symbol were colored different from the rest of the cover. Perhaps gold leaf or red ink of some sort. Is anyone else considering such a thing?
[quote]On Feb 14, 2017, steven-gibson wrote:
I was looking at my SE copy and I think the cover would look better if the symbol were colored different from the rest of the cover. Perhaps gold leaf or red ink of some sort. Is anyone else considering such a thing? [/quote]

Yes, every time I look at the book I think it should "stick out" more. But, I'm not gonna mess with it.
Gotta say fellas, I wouldn't change a thing. I think the power of subtlety should be highly prized here.

Too many offerings have 'dripping red symbols' for my taste. Starts to get a bit samey and stifles the mystery.
I am with Perks. One of the (many) advantages to this little lovely (as David outlines so well) is its utter ordinariness--this looks real. Additionally, retrofitting foil to a cover that has already been stamped or else (shudder!) hand-colouring the stamp after-market will only end in tears. Please believe that.

The unseen spider captures the most flies.

Beautiful, beautiful work, Bobby.

BC
I like the plain cover. I personally wouldn't mess with it. Perfect the way it is. Anyone who made a book like this, IMHO, would make it for the mysterious information it contains, and not necessarily for the esthetic beauty of the cover. If you have the leather edition, that might be different. But for the SE edition ... I'm okay with it as is.
Probably the look of the cover can even be part of the story. I love it. Luc.
[quote]On Feb 14, 2017, Perkins wrote:
I think the power of subtlety should be highly prized here. [/quote]

[quote]On Feb 14, 2017, PROF BC wrote:

The unseen spider captures the most flies [/quote]

Third.....and the motion has passed.
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Feb 14, 2017 01:15PM)
I'll add my voice to the myriad of others above: I dig the plain cover. For me, the book looks unassuming--which serves to heighten the impact/interest (at least in my eyes.) Anything more and it'd feel like, well, a bizarre magic prop. This is the same reason I'm glad there's not an abundance of artwork inside. If such a book was really made, it'd be made to get the job done.
Sounds like good advice. I, am still considering though. Gold foil with a redish wash to finish. I do like to mess with my props. Not sure.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 14, 2017 02:16PM)
Whaaaatttttt are you guys saying? ....... I have a can of spray paint in my hand and was about to spray away when I happen on the last few posts..... Sooooooooo I guess that (for now) I will leave the front and back covers alone. I was so ready to paint the cover in dripping paint.... Oh well. 🤓

Ray
'You can't judge a book by its cover' :-)
Plain cover is the way to go. Also consider...and I'm not sure on the timeline of this, perhaps others will know more...but weren't books with cloth binding designed to have a Dust Jacket? The older editions I have are all understated as they were meant to be, well, understated. The Dust Jacket did the selling.
Https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_jacket
No, no, no!
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 15, 2017 08:21AM)
[quote]On Feb 14, 2017, Delimbeau wrote:
Https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_jacket [/quote]

Yes, Yes, Yes,......

A book cover made from human skin....... Or something that looks like it..... Yes, Yes, Yes....

I wasn't suggesting a book jacket, I was just saying that cloth cover books are meant to be understated because they usually were published with a jacket, hence the unadorned design.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 15, 2017 11:45AM)
[quote]On Feb 15, 2017, Wizard of Oz wrote:
I wasn't suggesting a book jacket, I was just saying that cloth cover books are meant to be understated because they usually were published with a jacket, hence the unadorned design. [/quote]

Yes, I know that you weren't really suggesting a book cover for this book. But a book with latex rubber would look like skin.

Ray
Message: Posted by: ProfessorMagicJMG (Feb 17, 2017 01:21PM)
I suggest something like Johnny Depp had in The Ninth Gate: a piece of thin, soft chamois leather to wrap it in, slipped into a weathered leather file folio with the flap held closed by a leather strap wrapped around it a few times. Or a banged up leather attache' from an antique store. You could keep your T@r0t cards in there with it. Alternately, hire a skilled bookbinder to build a conservation box for it like the ones they use in rare book libraries to "protect your investment." Watch the Voynich Manuscript documentary on Amazon Prime to see such a box used to protect the VM. It's a custom clamshell-fold box covered with book cloth, usually to match or complement the volume inside.
I like that idea, ProfessorMagicJMG! Better than defacing the cover of the book in any way.
One of the Oraculum made its way to the Southern Hemisphere. Thank you Bobby. I love the feeling of the leather, it is a book of wonder.
The way you aged it is perfect , I often feel we aged books and paper too much. It looks like to be an old book but in good condition which is consistent with a precious book that was kept preciously. Merci, it is a beautiful work.
Two actually my friend. Mine was waiting for me today when I got back from my trip to Mackay. And I agree completely about the ageing. I am looking forward to trying this out.
Great book, very useful and I've been using it quite a bit already.

All I can tell you is that I draw inspiration from The Hanged Man and The Tower because harmony and balance are paramount in my life.
Just want to do a shout out to Bobby.

What a wonderful book! The Oraculum reached my shore a while back, but I only opened it last week to celebrate the birth of my best friend's daughter. Her fortune was told. Many more to come.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 14, 2017 09:58PM)
This book simply rocks.... I have used it twice so far for small groups and it made me look great.

I have to say that the thinking that went into this just blows me away. The tarot addition is the icing on the cake.

Ray
[quote]On Mar 14, 2017, Magical Dimensions wrote:
This book simply rocks.... I have used it twice so far for small groups and it made me look great.

I have to say that the thinking that went into this just blows me away. The tarot addition is the icing on the cake.

Ray [/quote]

I absolutely agree. The more I use it, the more I like it.
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Mar 16, 2017 02:20PM)
After using this a fair amount for almost a month, I wanted to post my thoughts on the usage of it.

This will come as a surprise to no one who owns this, I’m sure, but: this book has lived up to my highest expectations.

I’ll start off by saying that nearly everything I find myself doing lately is in the context of some sort of reading and not “Oooh! Spooky item from beyond the graaaave!”-type stuff, so I’m coming from that viewpoint.

First off, my biggest surprise was how much/often I can use the book to glean the desired info for any myriad of uses which may or may not involve the book beyond that. Being able to say “Before we begin with [whatever], I’d like to have you clear your mind and focus on the energies that follow you. To help with that, if you could read and contemplate on the fortunes that relate to you here…” and I provide the book and simple instructions. They do the front part. Back part. And I’m set. The querent is told to contemplate these things so they are in the “proper, focused mindset” for the reading.

More often than not, I then go into a full Tarot reading, guiding the end result towards the cards in question (I use Baukin’s Unholy Grail so even with a full 78 card deck this is still relatively easy) and then bring it back around to the book (which will reveal the two cards of note.) This is a fantastic ending, and one I don’t milk as a magic trick. No “leave them turned down, read the fortune, then turn them up—oooh, they match!” No “ta da!” Just a response to their surprise that, in fact, this means that they have their head on straight and they “know the right path.”

A couple times, I have not went back to the book at all. Using the Hedge Tarote, I can lead them to a situation where the card leads to specific week (that includes their birthday.) I do a reading on them based on that card, then reveal the date implications of the card and ask if that means anything to them. (If anybody else does this, keep in mind that since you’re inventing the sequence of suits to seasons for the explanation, you can grab the appropriate value of any suit—makes it pretty dang easy, and it opens you up for a more accurate reading depending on the person so you can preemptively decide which suit based on their personality.)

Finally, it goes without saying that I’ve done more simple presentations with only the book. These have been some of the best. I’ll admit that there’ve been a couple times where I just have someone look up their birthday, read their fortune, and I give them a reading based on the two cards. No trick. No effect. Just a cardless reading. If someone didn’t know the tarot well, this could be done with the card meanings in back. Querents have found this very interesting. Admittedly, the first time I did it the intent was to continue on to an effect. But it created such a nice moment and they seemed so satisfied that I just let it be. It’s testament to the books versatility, I suppose, that it can be used in this manner.

So, there you have it. From the effects right out of the manual, to more in-depth effects, to non-effect readings, to simply using the book to get the desired info from the querent to be used for a completely different purpose, the book has served me well so far and proved its flexibility.

I’m giving it three thumbs up.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 16, 2017 03:43PM)
Pasteboard,
Really nice post...

I have posted my first time using this down in 'Inside the Crypt'. This thing is simply great because you can reveal the gain information whenever you want... Long after the book is put away. I really like the tarot being part of this book.

Ray
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 16, 2017 06:48PM)
Ok, I just got a call for a show this Saturday night for a large group of over 100, so I would like to do this routine. How could we make this play big?

Or do you guys think that this is better for a one on one or smaller groups? I know that it plays well for smaller groups because I have already done it.

I think that the CODEX V might be better for a larger group....

Any suggestions on making this play a little bigger? Even if I don't use it for this show, it would still be cool to think of ways to use this for larger groups.

Ray
Ray

I agree with your instinct that Codex w/ play bigger.
Put it on an easel with a proper cloth covering it, describe how long you
had been hunting for an example etc..
Loved One Routine may be best ?
You could Hold hands with one hand and each hold the book w/ the other. (Hands holding book outmost to audience.)
Perhaps allude to "Day of Death" after reveal. (Of course if using a straight up spec data reveal)
Where in your set will you be putting it ?
Best wishes
DD
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 20, 2017 09:49PM)
[quote]On Mar 18, 2017, Gismologic wrote:
Ray

I agree with your instinct that Codex w/ play bigger.
Put it on an easel with a proper cloth covering it, describe how long you
had been hunting for an example etc..
Loved One Routine may be best ?
You could Hold hands with one hand and each hold the book w/ the other. (Hands holding book outmost to audience.)
Perhaps allude to "Day of Death" after reveal. (Of course if using a straight up spec data reveal)
Where in your set will you be putting it ?
Best wishes
DD [/quote]

Yes, I think that CODEX-V would be better suited for a larger crowd. I decided not to use either one. If I did, I would have placed it toward the end of the program.

You have nice suggestions for using the CODEX-V and I have made note of it. I like the idea of placing it on an easel with a proper cloth covering it. That sets the ambiance really nice. I will work on building a routine and see where it goes.

The show went really well, and I did luke Jermay's 'Vibrations' for the first time.

Thanks,
Ray
I know how to solve the riddle. It still takes working it out. I can't believe I'll be the one. I think I'll end it this weekend. So... I'm the lonely one, the only one who has a clue?
Good luck Reese! PM me a clue!
If you can figure it out, Reese, you deserve the prize ... gook luck!
So far, I can only figure out the number refer to the number of blank square in each row of the alpha chat and omega chat, and since both chat has 13 column, adding them together makes it 26 letter, my guess is assign each column a letter column(i.e. First Columns blank square = A, second column blank square = B ......
But I was stuck at a point only getting meaningless words, maybe something about the wax seal envelope which contains the COA, good luck figuring out the rest if my post can help you
I just need to add my thanks to this page. Bobby, this is a true work of art, I absolutely love it! I've been playing with the regular edition, and it has integrated seamlessly into my reading with Christopher Gould's KADAR, and the added emotional punch it has given the experience is top notch.

I SO glad this got placed on my radar. Terrific work, Bobby. Much appreciated!
Is this book still for sale? It looks like a pre order on bobbys website.
[quote]On Apr 9, 2017, Paul Forster wrote:
Is this book still for sale? It looks like a pre order on bobbys website. [/quote]

I ordered yesterday and got an auto-confirm from Bobby's system, so I expect so.
[quote]On Apr 9, 2017, Paul Forster wrote:
Is this book still for sale? It looks like a pre order on bobbys website. [/quote]

Hi Paul. Yes, Oraculum is still for sale (though not many are left). If the 'aged' option is selected upon checking out, please allow 3-5 days for the aging process before shipment. Otherwise any unaged orders ship within 2 business days.
Hi Bobby, over the last few weeks I have been familiarise myself with the Oraculum methods, routines and reveals and I can say without doubt that this is an outstanding piece of work. The thought and detail that has gone into Oraculum is staggering and I think that the routines / reveals are only limited by ones imagination. I like the fact that Oraculum lends itself to different audiences / situations ... on one hand it can be used to present a relatively light routine / reveal (multiple methods), but on the other hand it can be presented as very dark and mysterious (once again with multiple methods).

Lastly, there has been mention (even speculation) of a Tarot Deck that you (Dark Artifice) may release to compliment the Oraculum ... is that a real possibility for the future, and if so, do you have an update?
My finger hangs over the pay now button. However, without tipping the method, does this require any maths at all? I suffer from a form of dyslexia but with numbers. Even basic maths is near impossible for me. Appreciate your answers In a pm should you now want to say on the open forum.

Thanks
Paul
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Apr 10, 2017 04:27PM)
This has to be one of the best buys in years.....
Just an update from an earlier post of mine "Down Below" to fellow Spooky followers on Oraculum.
First a Contrast between Mr. Hasbun's Codex V and Oraculum.

- The Codex V I've been using this past year was purchased from Luca Volpe and it's REALLY aged & distressed, kinda like Outlaw's fine Book of Answers.
- The Oraculum SE is very lightly aged and has a course beige/tan canvas-type binding. Perhaps Mr. Hasbun has found it better to let performers bash it about to get to whatever point they wish. I agree that this is a sound approach that allows for customization.
- Chris Gould reminds us that "Aging takes..Ages."
- Codex has a classic ribbon page marker that does increase some latitude with reveals..
- Oraculum is larger.

The Works
- Nicely expanded and really enables performers that don't do "Divination" to get a nice intro into the world of READINGS" This may be the ultimate contribution to folk that haven't yet been at that end of the pool. This makes Oraculum a very powerful tool in your Kit. - REMEMBER - Specs LOVE to talk about themselves AND Oraculum play s perfectly in this respect as a segue to doing a Horoscope/Tarot effect, or a wide range of "staggered" reveals to several specs.
- The additional coding allows for obtaining a date of Birth JUST by hearing them read a few lines out loud.
- With the knowledge you obtain in a virtual & transparent way, the challenge w/ ORACULUM is to "slow the horse down" and ease into whatever reveal feels right.
- For performers that don't currently do a Bizarre Tarot effect- this perhaps the best integration into darker themes.

Reveals
- The combo of Oraculum & Tarot opens up a wide field of potential.
- Idea number TWO (ANCIENT) is something many of us have done. The "Countdown" principle is perfect for an understated and astonishing reveal,
- Oraculum lends itself to the use of a wide range of other props, I have dusted off my antique "Hand of Cleopatra" to reveal Zodiac signs and THEN get a feel for their Date of Birth I have found it hits MUCH harder if your CLOSE and not exact!

Summary observations
- Codex V and Oraculum are beautiful effects. I am very pleased to have them both in my arsenal.
- Oraculum can be a mind-bender, along the lines that there are multiple layers of experiences for a "Sitter" and the group around that sitter. Oraculum perhaps plays bigger than Spectre in that I have done it around a table-top of ten and everyone is involved, passing around the book checking their own fortunes while engaging in the reveals. I do LOVE Spectre and the back-story is just perfection though!
- Codex V has a more "Arcane" feel to it (to ME!) and allows for a somewhat quicker and very hard hitting journey to reveals. I believe it's perhaps better for "Stand-up" Parlour in that the "HAND" pages can easily be seen in these situations. The "Loved One" routine hits hardest.

In sum - WOW
I have performed Oraculum around 10 times, and the more comfortable you become with it, the better you understand and learn pacing and suspense.
In certain settings I have obtained the data and recorded it for use - later.
I personally have found the "Countdown" method that ultimately gets to two Tarot Cards is fantastic to seque into a quick three card past/presentFuture read or jump into a 9 card read. I use the Deck of the Basta$d.
There is another reveal I have used which employs a pendulum to divine the specs two "Tarot" guides- using a FACE DOWN Major Arcana.
Another PERFECT follow up is Chelman"s "Immortal" from Capricornian Tales"
I tend to think of Codex V as a swift, emotional, stand-up Book- test, that is best used in certain circumstances.
I tend to think of Oraculum as one the most powerful,unassuming and versatile tools for close-up Bizarre.

Hint to new owners - Outlaw's Reflections is perhaps the best "Gateway Drug" into the method. ( Although there have been many other fine effects that employ a similar principle.)
DD
Please feel free to PM me to get a down & dirty understanding on the Major Arcana face down Tarot pendulum reveal..
You will need to provide proof of Arcana ownership.

I also can refer you to a very solid and quick 9 card reading that is quick, efficient & powerful.

This Reading stuff is solely to give sitters a breath of time, to consider their situation from a different and (arbitrary) perspective..
I personally don't get hung up on "Reading" the future perspective.
If given the symbolic meanings, a sitter will more than likely finish the task as you move around to the next one.

I may have mentioned, its good to use a different techniques before Tarot.
I LOVE Dan Baines & Lord Freddie's Spiritas Claritas cards for this. I understand that Dan isn't doing these anymore.. ?

We should Lobby Lebanon Circle to do a new set on thicker stock- properly aged.
I w/be happy to do a web demo for him on this if he's listening. Although Lord Freddie is probably available :)
DD
Any news on the launch of the Legenda Aurea at Peculiar Antiques? Luc.
Keep in mind, I don't believe the Legenda Aurea will be available to most Oraculum owners--if I read it correctly (and I'm open to correction) this will only go to existing customers of Peculiar Antiques who also own the Oraculum...
My Oraculum arrived and I am so very happy and impressed.

I don't think any of the below is new to anyone but here is what I enjoy about it...

The book is physically wonderful (and the aging is so subtle it blends well with some old books I own) and can be handed around and used without any shenanigans. The fortunes and tarot card readings are cool enough on their own. I am just sitting here reading entries.

The thing that makes it extra special is there are two ways I can have someone pick a date in their head and I can figure it out. This can spin off into so many directions.

A wonderful and practical tool, even if you just leave it on your coffee table.
As perhaps the newest owner, I'm super excited to share this with my sitters! I have spent at least three hours reading the fortunes, and I'm thoroughly impressed.

I knew from the moment I saw the 'wax' seal holding the intricately wrapped book that I would love it.

The aging is subtle and perfect, the font/type is an ideal size, and it even smells right lol. Plus the coding is so easy to master! You can really focus on using the birthday info to enrich your readings. I already see myself using a star-sign-quickie-one-liner to transition into a more expensive chart/book/pendulum sale. The manual also has a technique for using other bits of info to determine an approximate birthday that is very intriguing to me as well. In case you couldn't tell, I'm not a direct hit fan. Lol (but if you like direct hits this will deliver!)

This will be my go to icebreaker for the forseable future, leading into cold readings. This is the type of item I like, because it drives "please show my friends" repeat business. I mean jeez, after you do 6-10 readings it's already going to be in the black. Plus it sets you apart.

I haven't been this excited over a prop in a very long time!
Hello Sirs,

A long time lurker and finally registered some kind of mentalist/hypnotist here...

During last months I've heard dark and bizzare side calling. And every day I find myself a little bit further - or in this case - deeper... Like you clearly see English is not my mother language (so sorry for my bad English). And here north, in Scandinavia the audience usually know basic English but not all nuances and finesses of this Shakesperian (is that really a word) language.

So my heart and credit card are burning for Oraculum - But is that too language oriented and linguastically too refined to me and my audience's? Like you see, writing in English is very difficult but reading and speaking easier. For example perfoming with WA and it's props is just fine in herre - but how about Oraculum's language - is it too difficult? So is Oraculum the right investment for me? I would love to hear your opinions.
Vælkomin, G-force

Few can resist the siren call of the dark arts. As to your question regarding the language in the Oraculum, it is not overly complex or flowery. If you and your audience have a working comprehension of the English language, you will be fine. Also, this book deals with the tarot, and the cornerstone of tarot is interpretation. If a word or concept is unclear to your spectators, because it is not in their native tounge, play it to your advantage. It's an advantage you have, even over us English speakers. 😀
Thank you Sir :)
The Sirens are singing even louder and my Oraculum order is now in... Can't wait it's overseas journey...
Congrats! I'm wondering how many there are left. Last week I think I saw a sold out sign. But then it disappeared again. May be it was a dream? Cheers, Luc.
A friend of mine bought #88 last week.
And during order confirmation mine was #00089 today.
Mmm, there are no COA's, so the numbers are probably the order numbers?

Some order-numbers contained the double set. And may be some people ordered more than one book.

So the best answer is that we don't know how many are left, I guess :-)
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Jun 2, 2017 02:16PM)
Yeah, I wouldn't pay too much attention to what the order number is. They can tend to reset when you change/update eCommerce processors, not to mention those of us that bought in person. There's no CoA's, as Luc mentioned, so there's no telling.
Actually, to clarify, the SE edition [i]does[/i] come with an attractive COA card to confirm that this is one of the limited set; just doesn't have an assigned number for each book. (The LE edition does have an assigned Tarot card for each book on the accompanying COA.)
Seth, you're right. I meant there are no numbered COA's. Sorry for the confusion. Luc.
Anyways I'm sure that all of us get just the right numbers during order proces too -That have to be part of O's deep wisedom ;D

One question about Tarots: I own just OE's Car*ie's major arcana and standard (and pretty dull) Thoth deck without m******s.

Can you please recomend some deck with plays well with Oraculum?

Kind regards :)
I recall that Bobby Hasbun is working on a set. I don't know about the status.
Today was the Happy Day: I get my Oraculum and everything went more than well:
The delivery was superfast with FedEx and The book is outstanding - this is love in first sight.

And special thing: I had a little issue with book - I sent mail to Bobby and after 15 minutes Bobby answered and kindly solve my problem. So first class service too! Thanks again Bobby :)
I wonder if Perkins new Alice in Wonderland tarot would work well with Oraculum.
[quote]On Jun 19, 2017, steven-gibson wrote:
I wonder if Perkins new Alice in Wonderland tarot would work well with Oraculum. [/quote]

Hmmm.... That would be unexpected but cool combination. If that combo fits to audience and presentation is even more storytelling like it could open new horizons...
I wonder if Perkins new Alice in Wonderland tarot would work well with Oraculum. [/quote]
Curiouser and curiouser
Justice is 11 in the Alice tarot. I can't remember if that is what the Oraculum requires.
I use DDT's at the moment with Oraculum & Alice deck is also same with Justice 11 - strength 8. so Alice deck will play nicely at the next tea party with Oraculum if desired 😀
Justice is 11 in the Alice tarot. I can't remember if that is what the Oraculum requires. [/quote]

Oraculum is 11 as well
Nice! Thanks guys
*wink*
[quote]On Jun 19, 2017, Perkins wrote:
*wink* [/quote]
Hmmm, perhaps there's a lil cheshire cat in Perkins 😎
That Alice Tarots with Oraculum is interesting Out of the box -thinking!

Until now I've liked Oraculum's total anonimity: No writer, no forewords, index pages, page numbers - not even a slight hints when and why this book been printed. When someone asked books name I've said that Im not sure but when I get that (can't tell how) they called it just AlphaOmega -book. And I use that name (google safety). ;)

So one of the books strenght is total anonymity. It' s more like an odd arttifact than just a book. It tells about past, present, future and for the end, really the end: Omega ;)

But that Alice in Wonderland tarot aspect may give a new, allmost psychedelic layer to presentation. So it would be interesting to follow white rabbit with Oraculum :)
If you read the book it does clearly date itself (I've mentioned why in other threads), it may only be so old. It's quite obvious after you read it. There is only one type of tarot you could use "fully" with this book.

BTW this book is designed to not need the physical tarot cards. You don't even have to know anything about tarot which is a bonus if you want a great introduction.

I'll let you discover that on your own. Or PM me if you give up, but try to figure it out. I encourage everyone to read and study it. There will be a test lol.

This is one of the handful of effect books I will ever keep and more importantly use. The fact that a few still exist will be great news for some. You are extremely lucky. I don't understand why this did not sell out in 48 hours, that is the real mystery.

I suggest you watch what Bobby does next.
Hi Darkness and sorry, I were (again) little bit unclear on my post: That Oraculum's "anonymity" is thing I tell to spectators - I've found that make things even spookier.

But; being honest: I havent found Oraculum's age and origin either. So I gladly take your challenge and start reading again - and if that's enought - again :)

I'd love to discover new things and layers - I'm sure that there will be much more than instructions PDF tells.

So thank you for challenge Darkness - And if I fail you get a pm for me :)

Cheers!
Late edit 1/// Allmost forget; Oh yes, I'm checking DA's and PA's sites allmost every day if those Bob's Tarots will materialize... Just like you said I've found that my Carnies are not optimal with Oraculum so it's better to use books own "Tarots". But maybe if Bob is really working with own deck that will be a game changer.

Late edit2// I have a feeling that Oraculum include some kind of "Book test" too - at least the last lines of Tarots have something hidden, they are alligned too irrational way. Anyways; I love that book!
Purchased this book a few weeks ago...it's freakin' me out! Mr. Hasbun thank you for taking the time and effort to create something so incredible, I'm so happy to have this in my possession...gonna start calling it "my precious!"

It is making me a little nuts though, I've been staring at these charts for a while now, so far this mystery eludes me...big time. Reese? Joe? anybody solve the mystery of the book yet?
Oh dear.... I just ordered ORACULUM!! I have been reading about this book for months now and wondering how I could use it in my act. I have bought the MEBD and think the two will go so well together.

Having read everything I could about the book I think this will be a great purchase. I cannot wait to see what wonders it holds.

Looking forward to joining this dark club.
Hi,

I've had this book for a week now. It is really well made and the aging is very subtle. Nice job on this, well done Bobby
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I put it here and on another Oraculum post I found. If either are in the wrong place, my apologies.

I love Bobby's Oraculum. I use it constantly. It's become my "go to" book to amaze people.

Recently, I had a thought (yes, that happens occasionally). I'm wondering if others feel the same.

Wouldn't it be amazing to have a smaller edition of The Oraculum? I'm thinking something about the size of The Witches Almanac, for carry around, fast readings, or other occasions when you're on the move and don't want to carry around a hard bound book. I do palm readings at parties ... and a smaller edition Oraculum would be just what the mystic ordered.

I'd LOVE to have this.

I imagine, now that Bobby has spent the better part of his youth producing this, a lot of the hard work is done. If we clamor loudly enough, maybe we could entice him to produce a second, smaller offering?

Personally, all I'd need would be just the main section (the actual fortunes and the two tarot cards) and that would certainly do it for me. Of course, I imagine if Bobby were to entertain such a folly, producing the volume in its entirety probably wouldn't be too much more difficult.

So, what do you think?

Does anyone else out there share my passion for The Oraculum and see themselves using it for less formal, strolling type engagements?

Is it time for us to grab the torches and pitchforks, surround Bobby's house, and chant in unison some slick slogan, someone smarter than myself will surely come up with?

"Tiny book! Tiny book! Tiny book!" Ah, the glory. I already (almost) feel myself carrying around my new, tiny Oraculum!
Salcioppa, knowing that production costs on something like this can be cost prohibitive, what do you think is an amount that people would pay for something like this? Particularly some folks may already own a version of it in the current form?

What if it looked modern, like something you'd buy at a large book store? Just a small soft bound, glossy cover, modern looking fortune telling book? I'm simply thinking of ways that Bobby may find an incentive to not have to put as much of his own time into it (for example, not having to age everything), which could help reduce the overall price.

Just thinking out loud...others are invited to chime in if they would be interested in purchasing...

All the best,

David
[quote]On Aug 4, 2017, David Eichler wrote:
Salcioppa, knowing that production costs on something like this can be cost prohibitive, what do you think is an amount that people would pay for something like this? Particularly some folks may already own a version of it in the current form?

What if it looked modern, like something you'd buy at a large book store? Just a small soft bound, glossy cover, modern looking fortune telling book? I'm simply thinking of ways that Bobby may find an incentive to not have to put as much of his own time into it (for example, not having to age everything), which could help reduce the overall price.

Just thinking out loud...others are invited to chime in if they would be interested in purchasing...

All the best,

David [/quote]

Well, that's an interesting question. I guess I was thinking of a little book, maybe like Reflections by Outlaw (the original softbound), or Witches Almanac, with similar pricing. Maybe around $80 for a little softbound, or, if they had to be aged, maybe $100 to $125 range? I really have no idea, but I'd be willing to pay more if, as with the original Oraculum, there was an aged version. I would personally opt for the aged version, but it's not a deal breaker by any means. I'd just be looking for a nice little book that could surreptitiously be used to obtain someone's birthday along the way for use later in another effect. It wouldn't have to be too elaborate. Does that sound realistic?
Perhaps it is worth mentioning the fact that a decent portion of the value of this effect (happily paid for by the original purchasers) was placed in the exclusivity of its limited release.
[quote]On Aug 4, 2017, salcioppa wrote:
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I put it here and on another Oraculum post I found. If either are in the wrong place, my apologies.

I love Bobby's Oraculum. I use it constantly. It's become my "go to" book to amaze people.

Recently, I had a thought (yes, that happens occasionally). I'm wondering if others feel the same.

Wouldn't it be amazing to have a smaller edition of The Oraculum? I'm thinking something about the size of The Witches Almanac, for carry around, fast readings, or other occasions when you're on the move and don't want to carry around a hard bound book. I do palm readings at parties ... and a smaller edition Oraculum would be just what the mystic ordered.

I'd LOVE to have this.

I imagine, now that Bobby has spent the better part of his youth producing this, a lot of the hard work is done. If we clamor loudly enough, maybe we could entice him to produce a second, smaller offering?

Personally, all I'd need would be just the main section (the actual fortunes and the two tarot cards) and that would certainly do it for me. Of course, I imagine if Bobby were to entertain such a folly, producing the volume in its entirety probably wouldn't be too much more difficult.

So, what do you think?

Does anyone else out there share my passion for The Oraculum and see themselves using it for less formal, strolling type engagements?

Is it time for us to grab the torches and pitchforks, surround Bobby's house, and chant in unison some slick slogan, someone smarter than myself will surely come up with?

"Tiny book! Tiny book! Tiny book!" Ah, the glory. I already (almost) feel myself carrying around my new, tiny Oraculum! [/quote]

Why turn an item of wonder into a cheap walk around trick?
I understand your concern about turning an item of wonder into a cheap walk around trick. And I even appreciate it.

But however beautiful and ingenious a prop might be, it's still just a tool. We put the "wonder" into our effects!

I guess I wasn't suggesting we perform the Oraculum along with the sponge bunnies, color changing knives, and card to wallet. That's probably what comes to mind when people think of walk around magic. But I don't think people interested in an effect like The Oraculum would ever use in that fashion.

I work at a castle in Ohio, said to be haunted, (although I've never seen evidence of that personally), and I stroll through the quaint, cozy restaurant and beautiful grounds and sit with guests who come to be mystified. As the fireplace crackles, I let them read my Oraculum, do a palm or card reading for someone else at the table while others peruse the book, then later, reveal someone's birth date in a magical fashion as part of another reading.

I do appreciate what you're saying. Believe me, I do. But I don't want anyone to think I'm suggesting mingling the Oraculum with the Professor's Nightmare and color changing scarves. Hmm? Then again maybe I could cast the sponge bunnies and read someone's fortune like that? Now there's a thought! Lol.

Anyway, I wasn't thinking about using the Oraculum along with card and coin tricks, but rather, to entertain small groups of people in a more intimate setting where carrying hard bound books around just isn't practical. And no one I perform to would ever have the foggiest idea that the original Oraculum even exists, so the comparison, or cheapening of the effect, just wouldn't happen as long as the prop they're seeing is well made.

I was more just thinking of making the tool appropriate to the performance. When I'm doing a seance at the castle, I have the luxury of using my Hobbs Box, Doppengangers, Sprit Lamps, Glass, Oraculum, casting board, etc.

But when I'm reading palms or doing quick card readings, table to table at the castle restaurant, entertaining people who want to be enchanted by the spirit world for a few moments, dragging hard bound books and heavy wooden boxes around with me just doesn't work. The performance is no less magical in either instance. But the tools, of necessity, must simply be more portable.
[quote]On Aug 4, 2017, salcioppa wrote:
I understand your concern about turning an item of wonder into a cheap walk around trick. And I even appreciate it.

But however beautiful and ingenious a prop might be, it's still just a tool. We put the "wonder" into our effects!

I guess I wasn't suggesting we perform the Oraculum along with the sponge bunnies, color changing knives, and card to wallet. That's probably what comes to mind when people think of walk around magic. But I don't think people interested in an effect like The Oraculum would ever use in that fashion.

I work at a castle in Ohio, said to be haunted, (although I've never seen evidence of that personally), and I stroll through the quaint, cozy restaurant and beautiful grounds and sit with guests who come to be mystified. As the fireplace crackles, I let them read my Oraculum, do a palm or card reading for someone else at the table while others peruse the book, then later, reveal someone's birth date in a magical fashion as part of another reading.

I do appreciate what you're saying. Believe me, I do. But I don't want anyone to think I'm suggesting mingling the Oraculum with the Professor's Nightmare and color changing scarves. Hmm? Then again maybe I could cast the sponge bunnies and read someone's fortune like that? Now there's a thought! Lol.

Anyway, I wasn't thinking about using the Oraculum along with card and coin tricks, but rather, to entertain small groups of people in a more intimate setting where carrying hard bound books around just isn't practical. And no one I perform to would ever have the foggiest idea that the original Oraculum even exists, so the comparison, or cheapening of the effect, just wouldn't happen as long as the prop they're seeing is well made.

I was more just thinking of making the tool appropriate to the performance. When I'm doing a seance at the castle, I have the luxury of using my Hobbs Box, Doppengangers, Sprit Lamps, Glass, Oraculum, casting board, etc.

But when I'm reading palms or doing quick card readings, table to table at the castle restaurant, entertaining people who want to be enchanted by the spirit world for a few moments, dragging hard bound books and heavy wooden boxes around with me just doesn't work. The performance is no less magical in either instance. But the tools, of necessity, must simply be more portable. [/quote]

That sounds like a most interesting and fun place you have to work. Is there a link to it?
For those of you talking about a more modern looking, smaller version, it seems that Rick Lax has put out a version call Calendar, which uses the exact method but it's in the form of a horoscope pamphlet. It's become one of the #1 sellers on Penguin. I really dislike the fact that the method will be so widely known now and the routine is being watered down and lessened into a walk around "trick". I'm going to stick to using codex or Oraculum and keep the mystique that made me originally drawn to them.
Yeah, Calendar isn't what I had in mind. I've seen it and feel the method is a bit cumbersome and not at all as streamlined and "mystical" as Bobby's. I share your concern about the method getting out although other effects have used the binary system before.
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Aug 16, 2017 09:46PM)
[quote]On Aug 16, 2017, topherhester wrote:
For those of you talking about a more modern looking, smaller version, it seems that Rick Lax has put out a version call Calendar, which uses the exact method but it's in the form of a horoscope pamphlet. It's become one of the #1 sellers on Penguin. I really dislike the fact that the method will be so widely known now and the routine is being watered down and lessened into a walk around "trick". I'm going to stick to using codex or Oraculum and keep the mystique that made me originally drawn to them. [/quote]

Rick's effect only uses one of the ways one can get the desired information when using Oraculum. There are additional--and, frankly, much more cool--ways to get there with Oraculum, so at least Bobby's still has far more to offer (as if the two were even remotely comparable.) While the one shared way they both use is not original to Bobby, I do find the timing of Rick's to be annoying. The time it would take to water down the idea to a cheap trick, create the design, and get it produced puts the conception date for his a little too close to comfort to just after Bobby's release. Oh well, anything to make a buck for some, I guess.
"(as if the two were even remotely comparable.) "

I second that!
Has the code been broken officially or is there still time to stack the AO charts?
I recall that a cracked code would be shared with all owners. I haven't heard anything, yet. Did you find the solution? Cheers, Luc.
I meant crack the charts...
If anyone has worked on the clue extensibly as I have and feel like they may be on the right track, pm me.
Can anyone help me out? I sold my Oraculum but cannot find the instructions (can't even remember if they were pdf or hard copy). If they were pdf can you PM me. Thank you.
Thanks. I've got it now!
Any news on this? Could it be a magical square in some way? :-)
I forgot all about this, Any news on the code?

Also, was there going to be a tarot designed for this?
I spoke with Bobby recently and he shared that the tarot deck is still in the works. It took a handful of years to bring Oraculum to bear, so we know Bobby does not rush products to market until they have reached perfection.

As Oraculum sold out, his website is in a deep slumber, much like the chrysalis. When it wakes up, there will be a new winged creature that will take flight ... a phoenix, or perhaps a hippogriff. I do know there are several products he hopes to release later this year. I have already begun to ferret away money.

Bobby assured me the puzzle has not been cracked. At least, no one has contacted him to so he can confirm it is cracked.

Tick tock...
[quote]On Feb 18, 2019, David Eichler wrote:
I spoke with Bobby recently and he shared that the tarot deck is still in the works. It took a handful of years to bring Oraculum to bear, so we know Bobby does not rush products to market until they have reached perfection.

As Oraculum sold out, his website is in a deep slumber, much like the chrysalis. When it wakes up, there will be a new winged creature that will take flight ... a phoenix, or perhaps a hippogriff. I do know there are several products he hopes to release later this year. I have already begun to ferret away money.

Bobby assured me the puzzle has not been cracked. At least, no one has contacted him to so he can confirm it is cracked.

Tick tock... [/quote]

A welcome update on Bobby's schemes. Thanks, David!
Bobby is a top notch creator!
Great to hear that Oraculum finally sold out. And rightfully so!

I'm very much looking forward to the cards.

Cheers, Luc.
[quote]On Feb 18, 2019, David Eichler wrote:

Tick tock... [/quote]

Sound like I better start saving. Thanks for the update David
I guess I better start saving too, as I always look forward to Bobby's creations and it has been awhile waiting now!
:cowboy:
If anyone is interested, my Oraculum standard edition is up for sale in Let's Make a Deal
Congratulations to John L. for cracking the code! The prize you must be exquisite. Well deserved. Cheers, Luc.
Yes, congrats to John! Share a photo of the end prize so we can all rejoice with you!
[quote]On Feb 5, 2021, Delimbeau wrote:
Congratulations to John L. for cracking the code! The prize you WILL RECEIVE must be exquisite. Well deserved. Cheers, Luc. [/quote]

Sorry for the glitch.
Thank you gentlemen I will be sure to share some photos of the special prize.

The puzzle was really hard. I spent countless hours and burned the midnight oil working on it. Bobby is working on a detailed explanation for those that are interested.
I was desperately trying to figure this out and put in a couple of attempts . I think I was quite close with one attempt, but ultimately gave up! Lol! So well done jg and I'm looking forward to seeing how you did it!
Just contributing here with - Oraculum is ridiculously awesome - book tests are... well... book tests... - Oraculum is one of the best there is. Hands down!
Where can I find all of these books?!? I am late to the game!
I think they're all sold out now unfortunately .
I have a SE copy to sell if someone is interested. PM me.
When are we going to find out the answer?
[quote]On Aug 5, 2021, dorian_faust wrote:
When are we going to find out the answer? [/quote]

Hi dorian_faust,

Just finishing up now. I should have had it prepared, but to be honest I never expected anyone to solve it 😂

I’ll send an email out when I’m finished.

Thanks,

Bobby
I suppose I should show the wonderful 1/1 special edition that he made for the prize!

At my request Bobby made this beautiful prize edition with custom COA. Thank you Bobby for this awesome prize!

[img]https://i.ibb.co/CJzk01N/20210805-133501.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/sQYDD4m/20210805-133709.jpg[/img]
That looks lovely!! Well done!
[quote]On Aug 5, 2021, Daisydog wrote:
That looks lovely!! Well done! [/quote]

ABSOLUTELY!
Wow! Looks amazing!
Wowza! Incredible! And amazing cryptography! Well deserved.
Congratulation!
Well done, John! And BEAUTIFUL edition, Bobby!!