(Close Window)
Topic: Changing a serial number
Message: Posted by: hnegash (Jan 1, 2017 11:55PM)
The name is escaping me, but who is it that has that expensive system to teach one how to change the serial number on a bill?

Thanks and Happy New Year,

Henok
Message: Posted by: John Long (Jan 2, 2017 09:07PM)
Do you mean to actually alter the SN on a bill (for later use)? or to "magically" change the SN?

The former is not that expensive to do, well I guess that's relative. Anyway Scott Guinn has a Bill in Lemon effect in his Great Scott its Magic (Trilogy), and he teaches a way to alter the SN.

John
Message: Posted by: Ian Richards (Jan 2, 2017 09:50PM)
[quote]On Jan 1, 2017, hnegash wrote:
The name is escaping me, but who is it that has that expensive system to teach one how to change the serial number on a bill?

Thanks and Happy New Year,

Henok [/quote]

Max Krause
Message: Posted by: MJ Marrs (Feb 4, 2017 07:44PM)
Www.maxsmagicshop.com
Message: Posted by: Neznarf (May 8, 2017 11:31AM)
I've posted this before:

Draftsman before computers used Electric Erasers.

That will erase stuff off of a Bill.

Have a shot of JD so your hands don't shake and good luck writing
the number or letter back on the note.
Message: Posted by: shomemagic (May 15, 2017 08:21AM)
Anyone know the font used on Us paper money?
Message: Posted by: dedikc (May 29, 2017 12:02PM)
Neznarf, is that somethinf like that:
http://www.cultura.com/gomme-electrique-8-recharges-derwent-gomme-electrique-5028252267656.html?LGWCODE=5028252267656;59335;3487&gclid=CjwKEAjwja_JBRD8idHpxaz0t3wSJAB4rXW50Qm_qZ0xPynLhevaQrsZrr-fA5kdWGdQ3pZm2c-CQBoC5v_w_wcB#description

or this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017VT0CJQ/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_bXCnAB_c_x_2_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=7NE25BKWESA98E9RH8V6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=abaa3adb-794c-502c-bb56-d626e3cef506&pf_rd_i=490668011
Message: Posted by: tgplano (May 29, 2017 04:17PM)
Shomemagic: I use Franklin Gothic 14. It's close enough that no one has ever noticed a difference. The color is a custom color. The only way I can describe it is: In Word bring up the custom color Hexagon. The color I use is one row higher than the widest row and 3 spaces in. It matches the bill pretty closely.

Hope this helps...Ted
Message: Posted by: John Long (May 30, 2017 08:26PM)
[quote]On May 8, 2017, Neznarf wrote:
I've posted this before:

Draftsman before computers used Electric Erasers.

That will erase stuff off of a Bill.

Have a shot of JD so your hands don't shake and good luck writing
the number or letter back on the note. [/quote]

An X-acto knife works just fine.


Also, Scott Guinn explains how to create duplicate SN's with just an X-acto, in his Bill in Lemon effect (in Great Scott it's Magic - The Trilogy). There are plenty of other gems in that book.

John
Message: Posted by: Neznarf (Jun 3, 2017 10:57AM)
That's it, just be careful you don't burn a hole through the bill.

[quote]On May 29, 2017, dedikc wrote:
Neznarf, is that somethinf like that:
http://www.cultura.com/gomme-electrique-8-recharges-derwent-gomme-electrique-5028252267656.html?LGWCODE=5028252267656;59335;3487&gclid=CjwKEAjwja_JBRD8idHpxaz0t3wSJAB4rXW50Qm_qZ0xPynLhevaQrsZrr-fA5kdWGdQ3pZm2c-CQBoC5v_w_wcB#description

or this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017VT0CJQ/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_bXCnAB_c_x_2_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=7NE25BKWESA98E9RH8V6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=abaa3adb-794c-502c-bb56-d626e3cef506&pf_rd_i=490668011 [/quote]
Message: Posted by: shomemagic (Jun 16, 2017 10:00PM)
Thank you Ted...I have been looking but a bit worried about googling it. Don't need any black suits showing up at my door LOL
Message: Posted by: Steven Conner (Aug 27, 2017 07:06PM)
[quote]On Jun 16, 2017, shomemagic wrote:
Thank you Ted...I have been looking but a bit worried about googling it. Don't need any black suits showing up at my door LOL [/quote]

Get Max's system and be done with it. It's awesome.

Best

Steve
Message: Posted by: B.W. McCarron (Sep 16, 2017 02:17PM)
A "typewriter eraser" works great, too. Those erasers have a bit of grit in them to basically tear away the top surface of the paper and ink. A little elbow grease goes a LONG way with those. Too much pressure and it makes the paper more translucent than the surrounding area.

A long time ago, I spent some time as a draftsman, and of course had an electric eraser. Worked pretty good, especially when using a metal "eraser shield" to protect the digits I wanted left alone.
Message: Posted by: Nottingham Magician (Nov 14, 2018 01:03PM)
Resurrecting an old thread but other than MAX KRAUSE'S MBS is there any other system available please? I am specifically looking for serial numbers on UK money only. Thanks in advance
Message: Posted by: Steven Conner (Nov 19, 2018 09:18PM)
[quote]On Nov 14, 2018, Nottingham Magician wrote:
Resurrecting an old thread but other than MAX KRAUSE'S MBS is there any other system available please? I am specifically looking for serial numbers on UK money only. Thanks in advance [/quote]

Don't think so. Contact Max, he is most helpful.

max@maxkrause.com

Best

Steve
Message: Posted by: Josh Burch (Jan 27, 2020 01:15PM)
Since Max's passing has anyone else begun doing this?
Message: Posted by: trickymagic (May 1, 2020 06:13PM)
Josh,
I've been doing a little research and Im unsure we can resurrect this software. I don't have it myself (kicking myself), but from what I gather, you can't even change what computer you've installed it on, because it serial number protected. Installing it somewhere else won't work without Max's help. I'd love to help resurrect this product, but I don't think its possible. I'd love someone to disagree with me.
Message: Posted by: magicwolverine (May 16, 2020 04:25PM)
Any traction with this? Would be amazing to be able to resurrect and share with Max's estate.
Message: Posted by: Steven Conner (May 16, 2020 05:05PM)
[quote]On May 16, 2020, magicwolverine wrote:
Any traction with this? Would be amazing to be able to resurrect and share with Max's estate. [/quote]

My understanding is the heirs aren't interested in magic or pursuing any of Max's work.

Steve
Message: Posted by: lunatik (Jul 15, 2020 08:56AM)
I wonder if they would entertain the idea of letting someone reputable in our community to take over Max's work?
Message: Posted by: magicwolverine (Jul 24, 2020 03:34PM)
My friend purchased this from Max. We just looked at his computer. He still has the special font from the purchase, but the app you need is no longer there. He has all equipment and instructions from his sessions with Max when he purchased it. If anyone knows the family and wants to try reaching out to confirm that they are not interested it would be great.

The app was $400.00, so it would not be insignificant to the family if there was any interest and this could be resurrected.
Message: Posted by: Steven Conner (Jul 24, 2020 03:49PM)
[quote]On Jul 24, 2020, magicwolverine wrote:
My friend purchased this from Max. We just looked at his computer. He still has the special font from the purchase, but the app you need is no longer there. He has all equipment and instructions from his sessions with Max when he purchased it. If anyone knows the family and wants to try reaching out to confirm that they are not interested it would be great.

The app was $400.00, so it would not be insignificant to the family if there was any interest and this could be resurrected. [/quote]

Not going to happen. They ARE NOT INTERESTED. They don't want to be bothered about it or magic.
Message: Posted by: magicwolverine (Jul 24, 2020 05:59PM)
Wow, Steven...you went from "My understanding is they are not interested" to "They ARE NOT INTERESTED."

Down boy...
Message: Posted by: Steven Conner (Jul 24, 2020 07:14PM)
[quote]On Jul 24, 2020, magicwolverine wrote:
Wow, Steven...you went from "My understanding is they are not interested" to "They ARE NOT INTERESTED."

Down boy... [/quote]

Sorry about being too strong. The family was approached right after Max's demise and expressed a lack of interest. There have been several attempts since and it seems to have gotten annoying. As magicians we don't always understand. If you're in the M.B.S Group there is an ongoing discussion about this. Its unfortunate the family doesn't share the same love we have for the Art.

Best

Steve
Message: Posted by: magicwolverine (Jul 24, 2020 09:52PM)
No worries...

Is there a FB group for purchasers? My friend who owns it didn't know about it when I asked him.

Many thanks.
Message: Posted by: cviolette (Aug 13, 2020 07:45PM)
Not sure what Max's method was, I'm sure it was well-thought-out, but I've been changing serial numbers on bills for many years, for various routines I've worked on, the method I use is quite simple and doesn't require bills running in sequential order, I often use this technique when I make my own miss-made bills so the serial numbers in both corners match and I've also used this method for impossible locations, I cannot imagine paying 400 dollars for something that is very simple to do with equipment you probably already have.
Message: Posted by: Forza Azzurri (Mar 19, 2021 11:05AM)
It's not unusual to just naturally get sequential serial numbered currency from either a bank teller or an ATM. I just patiently wait and over time have easily run across several sets of US 1$ bills with sequential serial numbers. I then scan in one of the bills to print out with the sole purpose of using an X-acto knife to extract out the reproduced single final digit. With a little patience and the tiniest amount of rubber cement I just paste the digit in the last place of each of the bills. I've ended up with several sets of bills with apparent identical serial numbers.
Message: Posted by: Forza Azzurri (Mar 19, 2021 11:08AM)
An addendum to creating gimmicked bills by altering the final digit: I start with the gimmicked bill and end with the original bill from which I took the final digit. The original bill is what I hand out for inspection.
Message: Posted by: padre rich (May 3, 2021 03:49PM)
In the good,bad,garbage thread is a review of a technique to alter bills flawlessly.it's just been released.with a bit of practice and a steady hand you can get perfect results.Jon Racherbaumer took a pair of treated bills to the bank and caused a stir regarding their exactness...