(Close Window)
Topic: The Fair Question Vlog
So I've had several interactions with some of you here at the Café and around the digital world the last few months specifically related to getting involved in the fair industry.

I performed at my first fair in 2004 and actively started to attending convention in 2009. I haven't said much the first 7 years because I decided to keep my mouth shut and learn.

The vlog I started can be found in two spots right now. Most easily at YouTube, but also on my company's Facebook page.

I'd invite you to subscribe/like on both - BUT - don't do it until you've watched something and feel like you've had some level of value. However large or small that may be.

YouTube Channel: [url]http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertSmithTV[/url]

Facebook Page: [url]http://www.facebook.com/robertsmithpresents[/url]

[b]HOW TO PARTICIPATE:[/b] Message me your fair questions here, on Facebook, Insta (@meetrobertsmith), or any where you can find me around the net and I'll answer your questions on the show.

Thank you!

-Robert

[b]DISCLAIMER: In case you're wondering, I'm not using these channels to sell you squat. If you want a course guru, I'm not your guy. This is real advice and experience that I'm giving away. So if FREE is good for you, then do it.[/b]
Congratulations on this project. I hope it works out well for you. One bit of advice is it would have been great to learn/know a bit about you going into this or at least as part of the intro at your first episode. I know you post occasionally here but no one really knows you, your background or experience. Are you a magician, mentalist, juggler? This helps to know who we are listening to and your level of merit.

Sometimes we overlook the basics which can affect ones impression or at least first impression of you and your project. Just a thought meant with only the best of intentions.

I agree the fair market is a great market, yet greatly misunderstood by many. Sooo many try the fair market and bail before ever truly understanding it and its many opportunities and possibilities. I think a great topic would be to detail the differences between fairs and festivals. Often these two get lumped together in reference, yet are different in many ways and approaches.
All good points. I can certainly put an introduction together. I actually just noticed there is a dedicated spot for that on YouTube channels. I've always just used YTube as a place to store vid so I can embed it elsewhere. But now that I'm getting more involved in YouTube as a social community, your suggestion has a solid foundation.

Differences with fairs and festivals? I think I see a future episode.

-Robert
I've been reading Robert's posts for about 8 years. He's usually spot on with advice from the trenches. Those of us that have been paying attention to the information he's shared don't need an introduction. Besides, it's easy to find his track record, let alone bringing a YouTube channel and a Facebook channel to the table. I don't think the fair market is any more "greatly misunderstood" than any other market, but it's nice to have someone passionate enough about his choices to put what he's learned out there for free to interested parties. And for that, I salute Robert for living up to the ideal of magicians helping magicians, and freely sharing what has always been solid advice.
Man, Keith. Thank you for that. I appreciate you saying it.

For those who want the background before they take a look at free info here it is.

My first fair was the Nevada State Fair in 2004 & again in 2005. (Thanks Dean!) I thought I was hot sht because of that and proceeded to wait for fairs to come to me. I'd send fairs my promo but nothing happened. In 2009 I attended two conventions and began what would be a baptism by fire.

It didn't come easy. I had to want it badly and I had to be patient.

In 7 years my client list now includes some of the biggest (and smallest) names in the fair industry. From the OC Fair, LA County Fair, AZ State Fair all the way to small county fairs in middle America.

My business is now making real money and I love the hell out of what I do.

[b]And here's the breaking news...[/b]many of you would like to get into this industry but don't know how. There's no course. There's no, "guaranteed or your money back," method. What I'll share with you should work. But there's no amount of marketing or execution that are going to save a garbage product in the long term.

Is your product good? I don't know. The good news is you and I don't decide that. The market decides.
But I know the information I'm sharing is real. I hope it helps anyone who will listen.

You all know this forum has had it's share of "gurus" who sell courses and you never know whether they've ever put their money where their mouth is. The reason I want you to subscribe on YouTube and follow or friend me on Facebook is because I want you to see me doing it.

So subscribe on YouTube here [url]http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=RobertSmithTV[/url]

And hit up my FB page here [url]http://www.facebook.com/robertsmithpresents[/url]

Or friend me. I'm @meetrobertsmith across the digital landscape.

See you all out there.
-Robert
Episode 1 - Getting Involved in the Fair Market
https://youtu.be/btS9QBMUpOE?list=PLfVuvb6IoUQVgXSJZqTsVNVNH-IyX9NRt

Thanks to all of you for checking it out. And if you enjoy it, please subscribe to the channel.

-Robert
Episode 4 - The Mistakes I Made

Now available. Find out the big mistakes I made early in my career plus country singer Coffey Anderson is killing it.

Your comments and feedback are always appreciated.

Watch here: https://youtu.be/pn_HqqXfi7Y
[b]Episode 5 - Bringing Value to Fairs[/b]

Now available. Ever wonder how professional fair performers bring real added value to a fair?

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReIR9IdjPZI
I have never done a fair show and I really don't think I currently have the material for that type of show. I did watch a episode on your youtube channel and subscribed as well. I enjoyed the insight into something different and even gleaned a few pointers that I can currently use in my show. Keep up the good work.
Hey Mike,

Thanks for that. I appreciate it.

Fairs can be a tricky environment. I've watched seasoned cruise ship performers struggle because audience members just get up and walk away. It's not a dis of the show. It's just that they have 10,000 other options to do at the fair. And I've seen acts that I personally rolled my eyes when I saw their videos, but absolutely CRUSHED IT at the fair. That was in my early days when I thought I knew stuff but I actually understood jack about fairs.

It's a market I've come to adore.

If I can ever answer any questions, just let me know.

-Robert
[b]Episode 6 - If I Had to Start Over[/b]
https://youtu.be/XB4PqDCidgk

This week's episode answers the question what would I do if I had to start over in the fair market tomorrow.
It's solid information that anyone looking to get into fairs could use.

Robert
Excellent content Robert.

I would be interested in a video covering the logistical questions...

Do fairs typically provide lodging for performers?
Do fairs typically provide food for performers?
Dressing Room / Storage area for performers?

Maybe a separate video, maybe the same one... walk us through a day in your life when performing at a fair.
You got it.
Great information. Several years back I lucked out and performed at our local fair. we drew large crowds, but I'm pretty sure I shot myself in the foot by selling a few pocket tricks after the shows. The folks that were running the stage were selling items after they finished with the clown act they had. I thought we might as well sell a few thing as well. Dumb idea I think.
Anyway, I plan on attending the fair convention at the end of this year, get a booth, mingle and try out some of your ideas.
Thanks, Bob.
IAFE?

Whichever conventions you want to attend I always recommend the person be prepared for a 3 year commitment to exhibiting.

Which fair was that?

-Robert
[b]Episode 7 - Marriage and the Road...[/b]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fiqk3d2nYg

On this episode, Sara and I are en route to the Sarasota County Fair. This is one of the first times she and Nate have been able to really join me on the road and live the fair life.
We banter. We joke. And we share a little bit about the inner workings of our marriage when I'm on the road. It's not always easy.
Hey Robert,
It was the Lane County fair here in Oregon.
Hmm. Not familiar with it. Haven't done many west coast fairs. Will change soon as our company has just made a 2 year commitment to the Western Fairs Association.

Let me know how I can help with IAFE.

-Robert
[quote]On Mar 22, 2017, thomasR wrote:
Excellent content Robert.

I would be interested in a video covering the logistical questions...

Do fairs typically provide lodging for performers?
Do fairs typically provide food for performers?
Dressing Room / Storage area for performers?

Maybe a separate video, maybe the same one... walk us through a day in your life when performing at a fair. [/quote]

Hey thomasR,

Your questions have been answered.

[b]Fair Question |Episode 008 - Hotels & Food & Storage Oh My![/b]
https://youtu.be/Uv29X9QaxW4

Thanks so much for your questions thomas. I really appreciate you giving me your attention for this project.

-Robert
Thanks so much! Great episode.

Good to know about lodging. - Great point on being able to pick your own hotel and paying either more or less for the lodging based on your preferences.

Food - This was one I was most curious about. With so many workers and staff it wouldn't have surprised me if some food was provided. But it's not a big shocker that it's not provided either.

Dressing Room / Storage - About what I expected. Good to know that fairs will usually work with you if they can on prop storage.

Thanks for mentioning your instagram! Will be very fun to follow along with your travels that way.
Episode 009 is up. This week, I talk patience and relationships.

[b]Fair Question |Episode 009 - Patience & Relationships[/b]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twmpMoHaWbQ

Always appreciate you giving me your time and attention. Thank you to all. And if you get a chance, please subscribe to the channel.

-Robert
Hey Robert, what do you think about performing mentalism - with a slant towards more visual "mental magic" - at a fair? I've looked into this market before but other more experienced mentalists discouraged me. They felt a fair was not the right environment for mentalism. I could see why that would be true but just asking your opinion. I

I do think the material would have to be a bit bigger than typical mentalism, but I could also see how it would be a lot of fun for families and friends watching their loved ones having their minds read or partaking in "lie detector" type routine,,,
Robb,

Great question. I'll include it in a future Fair Question episode for sure but want to get you an answer now.

The others who advised you of the difficulty I feel are apot on.

The fair industry, by nature, is a fight for attention. It's difficult even for the strongest acts to hold an auidences attention.
If you consider the mentalism requires a degree of focus and attention from the audience, fairs could easily be overwhelmig for a mentalist.

I'm not even sure the "mental magic" works all that well. Seriously. I've been at fairs where audience don't understand something as simple as the invisible deck. But they lose their minds over the pom pom pole.

Not saying mentaism can't be done. Maybe you can be the guy that breaks in and makes it a thing for fairs?

But know the market and know what you're up against.

Robert
There are large numbers of hypnotists on the fair circuit. That requires attention. What differentiates that from mentalism?

Keep in mind I an absolutely not saying I disagree, just curious what makes that difference?
Fanatstic follow up, Danny.

Here's how I see it. A hypnostist needs real focus and attention from the 15-20 people on stage. But the audience in a hyp show doesn't require anymore focus and attention than any other type of show. They see people do something funny. They laugh.

Mentalism takes a good deal of focus just to follow along. At least, that is, mentalism as it is typically presented.

Is there a way to make it work for fair audiences? Maybe. But knowing fair audiences the way I do, it'd be a challenge.

The good news? The person that does it absolutely corners the entire market because they'd be the only ones successfully doing it.

Robert
Yea that is what I was getting at.

What I am sort of implying is that done in a non traditional manner I bet mentalism could be quite effective.

I have seen some do it very successfully in fairs.
Yeah I think it's possible. But if the mentalist is going to get up and show off and present it like some super power and make it about them, they'll lose.

I would only do a show like that if the entirety of it was about the guests.

Goes for any act though.
Mentalism rarely plays well in the fair market traditionally. Having worked the fair market for decades and my agencies booking fairs and festivals, mentalism not only is not best-suited for fair audiences (at least in its traditional sense), it is also not accepted by fair boards, programming and bookers. Are there some that attempt it, sure.

As one fair booker told me about 15 years ago, there is not single excitable, describable feature about a mentalist show. When you talk about magic, hypnosis and of course bands - single words and actions like incredible, amazing, exciting exist, but do not come into play with mentalism. The best most fairs will go for is a possible tent performance (crap shoot) but most will not even consider it for a main stage or secondary headlining stage.

It it's a mental magic show, you are now competing with all the other magicians and big box magic shows, and you won't win there. Mosts presentation of mentalism is not as "riveting" to draw, keep and transpose a fair audience. So unless you can find a lesser, non-prime venue in a fair, or perhaps a part of something larger, you may have a hard time with this market.

Although, keep in mind there are other ways into a fair other than through the fair board, but it is still a risk.

Every time we exhibited at IAFE or IFEA and the many other related conferences and conventions, we would always be approached my mentalists for representation in the fair market, and it is just not something widely or willingly accepted in this marketplace. Many mentalists fail to understand this and have gone on to spent thousands of dollars on their own only to discover this the hard way.

Remember, your (the artist's) thoughts and perceptions is not of interest to a fair officials, it is only theirs, based usually on years of experience and the good ol' boys mentalities that exist that they will use to make there determinations. Your first performance (selling) is to them or convince them otherwise.
Hey Robb,

I hit your question up in this week's Fair Question. I know I addressed it here but maybe the vlog will add more depth to my answer.

Enjoy and thanks for your question.

[b]Fair Question Episode 010 |Fairs and Mentalism[/b]
https://www.facebook.com/robertsmithpresents/videos/10155157543978523/

-Robert
Thanks so much Robert.... great info, very helpful.
On this week's episod, I have a phone conversation with a potential IAFE associate member.

DannyDoyle, Mindpro, Robb, ThomasR etc. You guys won't want to miss a minute of this very revealing episode.

[b]The Fair Question Episode 11 |A Discussion with a Potential IAFE Member[/b]
https://youtu.be/mOPnj31TkOY

Robert
Well Done Robert. I love watching you help others
the way you do and teaching that it is all about
building relationships and not all about 'me'

Enjoyed it

Tom
I too watched this episode and found it interesting. While you were discussing the way you maximize your time attending conventions, it was really good insight to share in the way you spend your time attending lectures rather than to simply work your booth.

I did wonder two things though- why you believed DannyDoyle, Mindpro, Robb, and ThomasR would necessarily find the episode so intriguing as I didn't see the connection.

Also, the question about pricing was not shared in a very meaningful way to the viewer. I can certainly understand not wanting to share your specific pricing and of coarse pricing practices in general are not necessarily something most of us are comfortable discussing in such a forum, but the basic question of how to handle a bundle show discount would have added a bit more to the episode, since the topic was introduced by the guest.
[quote]On Apr 17, 2017, charliecheckers wrote:
I too watched this episode and found it interesting. While you were discussing the way you maximize your time attending conventions, it was really good insight to share in the way you spend your time attending lectures rather than to simply work your booth.

I did wonder two things though- why you believed DannyDoyle, Mindpro, Robb, and ThomasR would necessarily find the episode so intriguing as I didn't see the connection.

Also, the question about pricing was not shared in a very meaningful way to the viewer. I can certainly understand not wanting to share your specific pricing and of coarse pricing practices in general are not necessarily something most of us are comfortable discussing in such a forum, but the basic question of how to handle a bundle show discount would have added a bit more to the episode, since the topic was introduced by the guest. [/quote]

Hey Charlie,

Thanks for your feedback. Since they had all commented on this thread I wanted to be sure they watched all of it as it had real information in it.

The question was not about bundle show discounts. Maybe that's why you didn't see value in it?
However, I appreciate the thought and want to bring you value. You're welcome to come on the show and discuss your opinions on show packaging.

Heck any of you are welcome to come on the show and have a discussion about the fair market or running your business.

Let me know.

Robert
[quote]On Apr 23, 2017, RobertSmith wrote:
The question was not about bundle show discounts. Maybe that's why you didn't see value in it?[/quote]
Perhaps I used the wrong term. The guest asked what percentage you discount your show when approaching a fair because you are offered multiple shows per day, for multiple days. He gave the example of a show that might cost $500 and asked what percentage to consider discounting to make it a fair offering to an organization. To my knowledge, you never answered that question. Perhaps you do not approach the bid in such a way, but that was not clear to me.

[quote]However, I appreciate the thought and want to bring you value. You're welcome to come on the show and discuss your opinions on show packaging.[/quote]

To date, we have only booked a few County Fairs and they have been smaller in nature 2-3 days- so my opinion Is not of much value. My recollection is that we charged full price for the first show, 2/3 for the second one and 1/2 for the third show. We never did more than three/day.

We also offer reduced pricing to libraries that bulk book shows- generally 20% to 30% off, depending on the particular situation (number of shows booked, number per day, distance -if any -between shows). Much of this was handled through my brother and was derived through input from others as well as desire to get booked solid, so I not only am not recommending it to anyone, I am seeking and receiving better advice via a business coach on how to approach pricing in general and more complicated booking situations as well.
[quote]On Apr 23, 2017, Cafécheckers wrote:
The question was not about bundle show discounts. Maybe that's why you didn't see value in it?[/quote]
Perhaps I used the wrong term. The guest asked what percentage you discount your show when approaching a fair because you are offered multiple shows per day, for multiple days. He gave the example of a show that might cost $500 and asked what percentage to consider discounting to make it a fair offering to an organization. To my knowledge, you never answered that question. Perhaps you do not approach the bid in such a way, but that was not clear to me.

[quote]However, I appreciate the thought and want to bring you value. You're welcome to come on the show and discuss your opinions on show packaging.[/quote]

To date, we have only booked a few County Fairs and they have been smaller in nature 2-3 days- so my opinion Is not of much value. My recollection is that we charged full price for the first show, 2/3 for the second one and 1/2 for the third show. We never did more than three/day.

We also offer reduced pricing to libraries that bulk book shows- generally 20% to 30% off, depending on the particular situation (number of shows booked, number per day, distance -if any -between shows). Much of this was handled through my brother and was derived through input from others as well as desire to get booked solid, so I not only am not recommending it to anyone, I am seeking and receiving better advice via a business coach on how to approach pricing in general and more complicated booking situations as well. [/quote]

I didn't give that information is because that isn't how fair buyers work. They're accustomed to a day rate.
So the reason you didn't find value is because you were waiting for me to address complicated package pricing when the answer I gave was based on what fairs actually respond to. Got it? I see where you're coming from though. I could've said "that's not really how it works, but this is..." and it would've been more clear. Always appreciate the feedback.

If a business coach is charging you to tell you how pricing works I guarantee your dollars could be better spent. If you want real, practical advice, let me know. I'd enjoy having you on the show and answer any questions I can. And that's free. Always free.

Robert
If a business coach is charging you to tell you how pricing works I guarantee your dollars could be better spent. If you want real, practical advice, let me know. I'd enjoy having you on the show and answer any questions I can. And that's free. Always free.
Robert [/quote]

One of the most immediate returns I received from coaching is a better understanding of pricing. I immediately began to book more profitable shows.

I mentioned I performed at several smaller fairs, but that is not the market I am in or really pursuing. I really do like hearing about the different markets though.
[quote]On Apr 24, 2017, Cafécheckers wrote:
Robert [/quote]

One of the most immediate returns I received from coaching is a better understanding of pricing. I immediately began to book more profitable shows.

I mentioned I performed at several smaller fairs, but that is not the market I am in or really pursuing. I really do like hearing about the different markets though. [/quote]

100% agree. Pricing your product correctly is critical.
My point is, if you're paying a coach to explain pricing then you're paying for information that's available for free.
And that's okay. You do you.

Robert
[quote]On Apr 24, 2017, RobertSmith wrote:
My point is, if you're paying a coach to explain pricing then you're paying for information that's available for free.
Robert [/quote]

All information is potentially available for free. In reality, I strongly encouraged my brother to pay for advice on pricing because it is so critical to every other aspect of his business and something we had very limited knowledge about. Discussions here over the years revealed to us that there are many opinions about pricing, most of it frankly seat of the pants. So we were not paying for pricing information so much as we were paying for informed pricing. We were also paying to have that information available now and through a reliable source. If one were to break down the cost of the information we received so far, as it relates to pricing, it would probably be less than $100. Of coarse this is not the way the services are sold or offered, but just mentioned to illustrate how simple it is to justify a return on investment.

Free advice has served us well. As a matter of fact, I suspect we have taken the free advice offered here farther than most. That being said, investing in specialized services can be the most cost effective way to move forward. Unless one is willing to invest the time to understand our exact needs, interests, limitations, and future expectations, their advice on pricing will be compromised.
Lou and Tom have encouraged people to go to seminars, expensive ones, to teach people to do that. I agree it can be helpful to get more insight than you can from free advice.

Not "necessary " but can be. Everyone is unique.
[quote]On Apr 24, 2017, charliecheckers wrote:
[quote]On Apr 24, 2017, RobertSmith wrote:
Robert [/quote]

All information is potentially available for free. In reality, I strongly encouraged my brother to pay for advice on pricing because it is so critical to every other aspect of his business and something we had very limited knowledge about. Discussions here over the years revealed to us that there are many opinions about pricing, most of it frankly seat of the pants. So we were not paying for pricing information so much as we were paying for informed pricing. We were also paying to have that information available now and through a reliable source. If one were to break down the cost of the information we received so far, as it relates to pricing, it would probably be less than $100. Of coarse this is not the way the services are sold or offered, but just mentioned to illustrate how simple it is to justify a return on investment.

Free advice has served us well. As a matter of fact, I suspect we have taken the free advice offered here farther than most. That being said, investing in specialized services can be the most cost effective way to move forward. Unless one is willing to invest the time to understand our exact needs, interests, limitations, and future expectations, their advice on pricing will be compromised. [/quote]

Glad it's worked out for you. I think I read somewhere else you got connected with the White House because of it. Good on you guys. I bet that was an amazing experience.
Getting answers is as simply as ASKING and you can always keep asking until you find the answer you wanting. But most people hate asking more than one question and feel better with learning from books/videos or investing in the other means of learning like workshops, etc. Nothing wrong with that, but Robert is right, the simply easy way to get an answer is to ASK. Lot of free answers out there.

ASKING is a shortcut to success for sure. And in the beginning once you have the basics down pat it’s only a matter of building relationships with key people to the point that you feel comfortable with asking questions.

Another key is to never reach a point where you stop learning. Don’t allow your business to become so routine that you can’t see room for improvement. And if this requires spending money to take some advanced classes with some experts, I say go for it.

Tom
[b]Episode 12 - An Interview with Clay County Fair Manager, Tasha Hyder[/b]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Ju0oKoQMs
I wanted to wait to do this until things settled down a bit. Robert and I were discussing this subject and he thought it might be a good thing to ask in the thread. So if ONLY Robert can answer it might be a good topic.

We were discussing how there are different types of performers at fairs. There is no such thing as a "fair" performer in general in that they have different acts doing different things. I will let Robert himself elaborate on this. There are many levels, and the way you book them is different, the way you approach the show is different and many things are. Robert said it would be a good thing to discuss. I was of the opinion that we would get too many opinions as opposed to one who is there. Robert has said many times he is a "type" of fair act, but indeed he sees and watches and knows acts on pretty much all levels so will have some insight into the idea.

I personally have some fairly dated information so I do not want to elaborate. Roberts info is a bit more current on the subject to say the least. So if you still read here man take it away! It will clear up a bunch of misconceptions that people have. (Probably a few I have myself.)

And before anyone starts to cry about this being some sort of attack nonsense PLEASE understand Robert and I discussed this weeks ago. It is not an attack, it is furthering the discussion. (Robert would not cry about it obviously as we discussed it. I mean the usual suspect.)
For what it's worth, the artist I work for as a Lighting Designer regularly headlines large state fairs.

The only other experience I have is my company was hired to do a 20 minute circus show, plus walk around magic entertainment for a county fair once (not local, a few states a way). We set up next to the main stage where the country music acts played and were basically the pre-show entertainment. It was an interesting experience. I did walk around magic, in addition to coordinating and running sound for the circus show.

I bring that up to echo what Danny said... That's 2 different personal experiences I have with fairs. Obviously quite different, but both fall under fair entertainment.
Yes yes yes! Exactly. 2 personal experiences, 2 "fair" experiences and 2 totally different experiences.
I thought you asked no one to post, only Robert? This is going well.
Well to be fair (See what I did there?) I'm not in charge of who responds. I just thought it might be more clear is all.

Also Robert is not at our beck and call. It is after all fair season ramping up so he is probably busy.
Plenty of different types of acts within the fair market. From grandstand headliners all the way down to hypnotists.

I don't talk about grandstand performers as I'm adamant about maintaining my lane of experience. We a tually just had a round table discussion at a convention last week entitled "Stationary entertainment vs strolling."

Several suggested the name wasn't reflective of actual grounds entertainment. Some strolling acts move during their act. Others are stationary but move their act each set. Them there's me, who is in fact stationary but just considers myself grounds entertainment.

So what's in a name?
[b]Fair Question Episode 013 |Fairs & Snapchat Geofilters[/b]
https://youtu.be/OvXHwzbhnCM

While this episode is geared more toward fairs marketing their events, it's absolute fire. How could you utilize this technology to boost awareness of your business?

-Robert
ALWAYS the goal! I don't care what business you have.