(Close Window)
Topic: Tricks you carry--just in case
Are there tricks you carry around, maybe not all the time, but just in case a specific situation arises?

For instance, I carried Ellusionist'c Chaptrick last winter, and at the end of a meeting I saw a woman putting on chapstick. So I just stated,"Did you know that Chapstick is magical?"

Also I now carry a card with the pips all scrambled in case I see a kid with a fidget spinner. I show two card, with the scramble card DL's, then put the spinner on top of the deck, spin it, and reveal the scrambled card. Then I tell the parent this is what will happen to their childs brain from the spinner (with a wink).
I always carry "the fastest quadruple knot in the world" ..... packs small.. visual, kind of silly but with a magical finish.
Cheers
I carry Toosh by Steve Haynes around with me all the time!

Sleepy
I'm always carrying three things: Triad Coins & Printing (Joshua Jay) and B'Wave. Don't leave home without them.
I carry a few rubber bands, a box of matches, and a handkerchief. With these items I can perform penetrations and matter through matter effects, and knot tricks with the handkerchief like Slydini used to do. Great for impromptu tricks at the bar. Provided of course that I haven't drunk too much.

Will.
Just my pocket change and a bent quarter
This is the SECOND time that the OP has started a thread with the SAME QUESTION!!!!!!! (cf. "TABLE HOPPERS" A FEW WEEKS AGO!)

In the first thread, he got a variety of responses regarding "tricks" carried. AMBITIOUS CARD,ROBERT BLAKE, AND I responded with approximately the same basic answer: TRICKS are PERFORMED, NOT CARRIED. PROPS CAN BE CARRIED! The BEST PROP FOR INFORMAL SITUATIONS IS SOMETHING GENERIC!
[quote]On Aug 1, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
This is the SECOND time that the OP has started a thread with the SAME QUESTION!!!!!!! (cf. "TABLE HOPPERS" A FEW WEEKS AGO!)

In the first thread, he got a variety of responses regarding "tricks" carried. AMBITIOUS CARD,ROBERT BLAKE, AND I responded with approximately the same basic answer: TRICKS are PERFORMED, NOT CARRIED. PROPS CAN BE CARRIED! The BEST PROP FOR INFORMAL SITUATIONS IS SOMETHING GENERIC! [/quote]
So he's learning. He hasn't got your knowledge or your experience.

But he has bought some tricks from a dealer, carries them to show around, and wondered aloud on here what other tricks people carry with them.

He no doubt read your response, but didn't realise that he was legally obliged to accept it and move on! He thought this was a forum where everyone from beginners to retired pro's could share ideas without judgement or criticsm. You know, the sort of friendly place where you could get help without people making you look stupid.

So get off your high horse for once and give the kid a break.
I carry props around in my pockets including pen tops, shoe laces, a large washer, a gambling chip and a finger ring. I also have elastic bands around my wrists. It's enough to do a whole close up show wherever I go.
A bit late to the party but no one's mentioned Haunted Key in this thread, so I will. I don't present it as a trick, but as "one of the strangest things I've ever seen." Tell a story about finding it in my basement, etc. Always gets a strong response. And it doesn't need a table, which is a plus.

I also carry a ball and tube from time to time, with an extra ball bearing. Do a routine with appearances and vanishes of a ball, then do the shrinking, then produce as many balls from the tube as the traffic will bear. I have a set with a solid kicker, and end with that. It's archaic for magicians, but laymen seem to like it.
Oh, and when I think I might have an opportunity to do something for kids, Rob Thompson's Pizza Paddle.
I always carry a few coins in different pockets, regular coins like quarters and pennies. I also frequently carry a pen with a cap on either end. I always have a couple rubber bands in my wallet. I often carry a stack of business cards that I can use for some pretty good mentalism.
KJ
I used to think that when I am going out socially I shoudnt carry anything with me. Until I started to make name for myself and started to be known at my area. So I am constantly meeting potential clients that would be easier to become clients if I could do something really impressive for them. So I started to plan ahead.

Since I always have my wallet and keys with me where ever I go I started to add tricks into them. However I decided that items cant take any real space or look like they didn't belong into my keys or wallet. So no clear magic tricks or packet effects.

In my keys I have Nick Einhorn Ring flight and Greg Wilson Freakey. I used to have ring flight reel inside key but it broke.

In my wallet I have Extreme Burn set and Changeling set giving me also 65€ of cash in case my debit card doesn't connect. Also there is David Ben credit card extension gimmick on one of my "bonus" cards. Few folded friction pen revelations in papers, business cards for variety of effects and since I had extra pocket in my wallet that I didn't use for anything I ordered extra expanded shell just for my wallet. And in that same pocket I keep double sided coin and bend coin now and then.

I can do pretty strong material out of my wallet and everything seems like it wasnt planned at all but it belongs to wallet anyway. 3 coins don't really take any extra space.

Juha-Matti
I'm taking so much with me all the time. Pen for penetration fire wallet TT staked deck and ID shell coin elastic loops and itr handkerchief and telethought used for business cards. I also have things that are in my jacket topit some pulls key bender and coin bender. I sure there is more but I don't know right now.
A Deck of cards and two coins always in my pockets. Usually a Morgan and a Chinese coin.
It would have to be - Day One by Scott Cram.
Name a date and a year, I will tell you what day it fell on.
Plus display a calendar of that month if you wish.

It can be as simple as you want it to be.
For example this year ... next year ... or year 1800, 1700
The beauty is, people can check on their smart phones, and see it is "for real".

Does it get any better than this?
Absolutely ... you get fantastic test videos ... and more.

The price is an astounding $9.99 -an absolute steal!
https://www.lybrary.com/day-one-p-137029.html
Day for any date is my go-to impromptu routine as well, but I perform prop-less. Is "Day One" something you would actually carry with you that enhances the effect, or just a method to learn it?

I carry a TT always, and I use a versatile magician's wallet as my everyday.
Usually for me it is just a simple deck of cards and a Lassen Morgan Shell Set. Occasionally I will bring along my Lassen Walking Liberty shell set that I have a gravity flipper with and a slipper sam gimmick. I try not to overload my self these days.
In my pockets:
Left: Morgan Shell set in small snap purse
Coin Fusion (Wilson)
Right: Morgan CSB set in Quiver Purse

In my wallet:
Cool Cash
Volunteer Swindler
Note; I used to have people ALWAYS say "do a trick" over and over and over-- SO, I would ask THEM for a Coin or $ Bill - do an effct - then put the bill or coin into MY POCKET - when they asked - Waa - waa?? I'd say "I do this for a living - My Family Thanks You" -no more pestering- of course if they got MAD 0r was Bigger then me - I give it back L-O-L
Some of you miss the point/value of this type of topic. I read this as "impromptu looking" and "for specific situation". Not when your spectators expect magic or when you pull-out a magic prop. Thus manipulating coin, card, caps or handkerchiefs doesn't apply. You get to use gaffs here, now how will you maximize them?

Not so far named:

Book test: Oasis - Glance - Ultimate Flashback or apps Zeno and Wikitest. Have someone test your "ability" at school or work.
Coins: TUC - Wong's 3 in 1 - Bite Coin (best gaff ever). Counting money at work? Show your mate oh this coin keeps doubling.
Cash: Mismade bill - Streamer from bill (w/ tt) - folded bill that looks like two.
Rings: Odyssey
Cards: Princess - app RA w/ appropriate stacked deck - Return flight - ID - Two card monte - NFW
App: iforce
Pencil: Prismatic Pencil (Lewis's)
Loops: lift - across. for Morelli's work
Misc: color change knives or lighter - Withdraw (cash from card) - Ya Ya vanish of cap - Ignition (key) - Ibalance - Titan's Finger - NUN - What Tha? or Little Hand - Rattled (Haus) - Cause coin to move in spectator hand via Bat device on wrist - Chop (Petty's) - Chop mug - Mojoe - Double Cross - Four Bean Trick
Oh what goodness listed above. My focus was "tricks for the stealth amateur", with the accent on "surprise" and use of invisible gimmick, in most cases. Maybe this list will help you.
My advice only do one trick or three tops, preferably two and don't make it "sting" too much. Some people do "cool" stuff to amaze people (and don't vie for power per se). That's you.
Always have a stacked deck as well as double cross.

On top of this have wikitest and inject 2.0.

That’s a lot of magic I would say.
In my wallet:
Bill to Credit Card
Powerball 60
Business Card Printer
Rubber bands (numerous effects)
Ring and string
Coins (Numerous - see BoBo)
Unharmed (Jay Sankey) in wallet
Extended Stay (Shawn F) in wallet
Business Cards (Numerous) in wallet
Mentalism - ID7, iCurveball, Watch Routine (Richard Osterlind), Other effects by Docc Hilford, Marc Spelmann, Richard Osterlind, Dereck Brown, Ken Dyne, and Banachek.

I never want to be without something, even if it's just coin under watch. As you can see, these are pretty much ordinary everyday objects to the lay person.
The coin bite is nice to have. Can pull it out anytime and then swap it for examination. Trouble is accidentally spending it.
I am still looking for one around the house. It has to be here somewhere!
Powerball 60, Organic Choice, and and an Equivoque routine ready-to-go.
Mentioned this befor - if you have someone who keeps asking --do a trick--do a trick--do a trick--ASK them for a coin or $$ - do an effect - then put the coin/$$ in YOUR POCKET- if they ask about IT!! say "this is my living and my family thanks you" - of course if they are bigger than you - just laugh and return it. L-O-L it has happened to me several times and IT works.
[quote]On Jul 26, 2018, Russo wrote:
Mentioned this befor - if you have someone who keeps asking --do a trick--do a trick--do a trick--ASK them for a coin or $$ - do an effect - then put the coin/$$ in YOUR POCKET- if they ask about IT!! say "this is my living and my family thanks you" - of course if they are bigger than you - just laugh and return it. L-O-L it has happened to me several times and IT works. [/quote]

A friend of mine (may he RIP) would ask to borrow coin or a bill and before he would do anything with it would look the person he received it from, ‘Is this the ______ you just gave me?’ as he would be turning it over and looking them in the eyes. When they said yes, he said thank you, did the trick and pocketed it when done. He was a very likable and talented mage and he would have people come back and say do it again while handing him another coin or bill.
YUP! Once again! It aint WHAT ya do, it's HOW ya do it!
A haunted key, Psionic and B'Wave. Regardless of what I do, however, I always do an OTL with my business card. I'm going to leave an impression, then my contact info.
Props, tricks, routines and what more I carry with me at all times (while dressed, that is):

SAW containing my Dutch version of Will To Read, business cards to use in combination with SAW, Powerball 60 (almost never perform it, but still).

Furthermore a st****d deck, some gaffs for Anniversary Waltz, marker for An Wal and for writing on the business cards, three rubber bands and Great Euro Hopping Halves.

Yep, even after being in this business professionally for over three decades, I still LOVE magic.
Spotty paddles
Crazy compass
B'wave
Get Sharky. Quick and easy to perform but very effective.
I always carry a deck of playing cards or coins.
A deck of cards, a packet of cards preset up for a good packet trick, a gaffed card in the back pocket and about 6 old English pennies.
I don't buy tricks. I haven't found the need. Yet.
Paul! You cannot BUY or "carry" a TRICK! TRICKS, like music, only exist while they are being PERFORMED. If YOU perform the TRICK well, with a good PRESENTATION. you may ENTERTAIN the spectator. (The "MAGIC" only happens in the MIND OF THE SPECTATOR!!!)

You can BUY a PROP or a SECRET with which to PERFORM a TRICK.

Using a Violin, you can play a lot of music. With a generic PROP, like cards, or a coin, or a length of cord. you can PERFORM A "GEZILLION" TRICKS!

Despite Dr. A. M. Wilson's statement, MAGIC IS NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING".
[quote]On Jan 9, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Paul! You cannot BUY or "carry" a TRICK! TRICKS, like music, only exist while they are being PERFORMED. If YOU perform the TRICK well, with a good PRESENTATION. you may ENTERTAIN the spectator. (The "MAGIC" only happens in the MIND OF THE SPECTATOR!!!)

Using a Violin, you can play a lot of music. With a generic PROP, like cards, or a coin, or a length of cord. you can PERFORM A "GEZILLION" TRICKS!

Despite Dr. A. M. Wilson's statement, MAGIC IS NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING". [/quote]
----------------------

Oh, Dick . . .
if you can BUY a TRICK . . you can CARRY a TRICK.
Sometimes the package actually says: "________________ Magic Trick"
So, yes, you can put that . . .in your pocket.

If stopped and searched by the Police. . . they would OFFICIALLY REPORT . .
" Suspect was carrying a "Magic Trick."
the Judge or FEDERAL JUDGE would accept that as TRUTH.

Some TRICKS do not have to be performed. . . They can be just SHOWN to others at a magic club meeting and
maybe someone else. . . will perform the "Magic Trick" that YOU were carrying.

Unless the magic apparatus . . . just magically appeared and no one at the Magic Club was carrying the Magic Trick.
So . . "Someone" had to be carrying the "Magic Trick."

A "Trick" can be a noun or a verb.
[quote]On Jan 10, 2019, Doctor Zolar wrote:
[quote]On Jan 9, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:

Despite Dr. A. M. Wilson's statement, MAGIC IS NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING". [/quote]
----------------------

Oh, Dick . . .
if you can BUY a TRICK . . you can CARRY a TRICK.
Sometimes the package actually says: "________________ Magic Trick"
So, yes, you can put that . . .in your pocket.

If stopped and searched by the Police. . . they would OFFICIALLY REPORT . .
" Suspect was carrying a "Magic Trick."
the Judge or FEDERAL JUDGE would accept that as TRUTH.

Some TRICKS do not have to be performed. . . They can be just SHOWN to others at a magic club meeting and
maybe someone else. . . will perform the "Magic Trick" that YOU were carrying.

Unless the magic apparatus . . . just magically appeared and no one at the Magic Club was carrying the Magic Trick.
So . . "Someone" had to be carrying the "Magic Trick."

A "Trick" can be a noun or a verb. [/quote]

Oh dear.
Another p**sing contest.
You know what he meant though, right. Dick is only stating what the majority of magic books also state. Well researched and in many cases, authorities on the subject. But he must be wrong eh. Because you're right.
Pffffft.
I think Dick is belittling himself even entering into such 'discussions' when there are pedants around every corner waiting to pounce! His knowledge and understanding of what constitutes a trick far outweigh any stupid semantics contest.
IN MY OPINION(mustn't forget the disclaimer)
Thanks Paul!

Note that the 'good doctor' BEGINS with an "IF". The remainder of his 'argument', depends on that two letter word: 'IF'.

It's rather obvious, to me, that he does not understand the basic meanings of words like 'trick', 'prop', and, 'effect'.

In 70 years, I have worked 'behind the counter' in three magic shops. (ABBOTT'S, MAGIC INC. even the now defunct EdMar's. I KNOW that many. if not most, dealers, will try to inflate the ego of a new customer, by 'selling him a trick'. A dealer can only sell you the prop, or secret!!! It's up to the customer to PERFORM a trick with that prop or secret.

I have presented THOUSANDS of shows, coast to coast, and, border to border, for some challenging groups. I wonder about him.

I would ask the good doctor, 'how many shows, he has presented? (--and, where?) (not just a card trick for a friend or stranger.)
When I take the time to write what I wrote, I was not trying to make Paul look stupid. I was trying to help him, and other readers. (We old geezers are supposed to "help other magicians", by explaining basic things.

I have served as a mentor to dozens of young guys. Many are now full time successful performers. Paul appears to me to be intellectually curious. I respect that.

So, in future, I'll just use the PMs, and, ignore people like the doctor.
[quote]On Jan 10, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Thanks Paul!

Note that the 'good doctor' BEGINS with an "IF". The remainder of his 'argument', depends on that two letter word: 'IF'.

It's rather obvious, to me, that he does not understand the basic meanings of words like 'trick', 'prop', and, 'effect'.

In 70 years, I have worked 'behind the counter' in three magic shops. (ABBOTT'S, MAGIC INC. even the now defunct EdMar's. I KNOW that many. if not most, dealers, will try to inflate the ego of a new customer, by 'selling him a trick'. A dealer can only sell you the prop, or secret!!! It's up to the customer to PERFORM a trick with that prop or secret.

I have presented THOUSANDS of shows, coast to coast, and, border to border, for some challenging groups. I wonder about him.

I would ask the good doctor, 'how many shows, he has presented? (--and, where?) (not just a card trick for a friend or stranger.) [/quote]
---------------------------

There is no point of ANYONE posting their OPINION.
Benjamin Earl has created a masterpiece for this moment.

In his Real Coin Magic dvd he explains his effect Primary Movement. For the size of my hands it actually works even better with a ring which I'm wearing anyway. It's also just an incredible trick.

Follow this up with Pocket Time Machine and you have a beautiful sequence that has a feeling of finality. That's all they should ask to see.

Best,
Brandon
I absolutely appreciate your input, Dick. It seems to me, you know what is important and you teach it.
PM it is!
:-)
[quote]On Jan 10, 2019, Doctor Zolar wrote:
[quote]On Jan 10, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Thanks Paul!

I would ask the good doctor, 'how many shows, he has presented? (--and, where?) (not just a card trick for a friend or stranger.) [/quote]
---------------------------

There is no point of ANYONE posting their OPINION. [/quote]

It's a free country! OPINIONS are always welcome. If I have an opinion about something, I write "IMO" (in my opinion).

You started your comment with "IF", then proceeded to express your opinion(s) as facts.

I would suggest that you read, FITZKEE!
I must start EVERY post now with: "In My Opinion."
(as if it's not OBVIOUS what ANYONE says is not words coming out of their mouth and IS their OPINION, and from THEIR View Point.)
(We are not a Borg Collective.)

So, IMO,

Back to the Original Post of TRICKS I carry with me.

I wear jeans (blue or black) with the little watch pocket 99% of the time.
All of my Carry Around Tricks are in there.
Each trick or apparatus is in a SOFT Coin Flap. Soft with rounded corners.
SOFT so it will fold easily without crispy-crunchy breaking or cracking.
In each SOFT Coin Flap I carry:
1. Gypsy thread on a small card in one flap all by itself.
2. A regular Large Eisenhower Dollar and one with a [ (So that's both sides of the flaps.)
3. A TRIPLE TUC Eisenhower Dollar and a regular Eisenhower Dollar on the other side of the flap.
The TRIPLE TUC can also be used just like a TUC.

So, I've got up to 15 minutes of material right there.
The SOFT Coin Flaps fit nicely in the "watch pocket" that comes on Levi Jeans.

I'm also wearing a ring, so that's another 2 minutes worth of material, similar to all the single coin routines/ transpositions.
As well as, MY Gypsy Thread is actually a Gypsy Yarn, so is big enough to be seen for 20-30 feet and use the Restored Yarn piece and ring together or use the Gypsy YARN for an additional cut routine like a regular cut and restored rope. Cutting the YARN with scissors in the middle (as a regular cut & restored rope). So, that's 2 uses of the Gypsy YARN.

I do not do any tricks that require laying anything on a table, so can be done stand up or sit down . . . AT . . . a table.
Many restaurant or bar - pub tables ARE WET. (Drinks, food, coffee, crumbs, etc.) that get in the way and are messy.
Or there is simply NO ROOM left on any table. Too many glasses, dishes, phones, etc.

I don't want to get my props wet and sticky.

I start any trick with "My dad showed me a magic trick one day."
So, now there is an excuse for carrying what MIGHT BE a coin my dad gave me. . .

All in my "watch pocket."
Doctor Zolar, with everything in that pocket, shouldn't it be called a 'watch this' pocket? :)
I appreciate the minimum for maximum.
[quote]On Jan 12, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
Doctor Zolar, with everything in that pocket, shouldn't it be called a 'watch this' pocket? :)
I appreciate the minimum for maximum. [/quote]
-----------------

Yes.
This stuff is not in the way and I don't carry any outside things/ deck of cards, etc.
Who carries a deck of cards in public ? No one.
Manufactured stuff like Okito coin boxes and cards and silks just scream: "I've been waiting for you !"
One coin routines with a regular silver dollar are great !
I gotta work on that more.
The silver dollar is easier for ME to palm and work with.
I thought it would be too large. But, actually easier than half dollars.
Im trying to get/ look very impromptu.
The sliding scale of believably is greater when they are not expecting "a magician."

(After a while. . . it would be obvious when I end up doing 12 things with a single silver dollar !)
But, in the beginning . . . I drop them.

If I'm "hired", to do a show, well, fine. I perform magic. OK.
I say: "Sometimes people will say that I do miracles . . . (pause. . .)
and some people will say that I do magic tricks. You'll have to decide on your own !"
That’s a great saying Doctor Z... miracles...tricks...decide on your own. Wish I would have thought of that.
I too feel that in an impromptu performance, it should not look/feel as if one was ‘loaded for bear.’ There are plenty of things already around that one can use in an impromptu setting, though I too carry a few items. In a JOL Himber Coin Wallet I have my HH set and Steve Dushek’s Copper Silver Transpo; 90% of the time I have a TT and my imagination on what I’m going to do with it; I carry John C’s Ultimate Positive Negative in my wallet; and a Hot Rod. I also have a card trick with no cards used which has a home in my wallet.
When I'm in the mood, I like carrying the self-tying shoelaces. It's so quick and visual ;)
I carry two lengths of rope, a TT and streamer, bubbles, chinese laundry ticket and a knot. One of the lengths of rope is long enough for me to quickly into a Professor's Nightmare, though it's been a long time since I've had to. The long rope goes over my neck and down each sleeve, short rope coiled in left suitcoat pocket. TT/streamer in right suit pocket, along with knot. The bubbles go in a pen-sized container in my inside left breast pocket. I also wear a ring that can be used as well. This is enough for any impromptu situation I've encountered and these 8+ effects can be leveraged into quite a LONG presentation for a group of formerly unruly kids at the gate in an airport when the flight kept getting delayed (yeah, that happened... and the Moms were incredibly grateful for my impromptu magic show at the gate that kept the kids engaged until the flight was FINALLY called... I had my yo-yo in my pocket, too, and that helped as well). I've found that many new magicians think they need to rapid-fire a boatload of "tricks" when actually very few effects are needed to engage and entertain the audience. Just keep your best one as your "closer."
- LRod
Classic tt, ks tt, modified ks tt some bills and 2 diamond cut silks.
I'll bring my phone and wallet almost everywhere... it contains everything I need to amaze people......
I sometimes carry around a small travel bag with a few coin effects, a hot rod or two, a card packet trick, and whatever I feel like stuffing in there which will fit.

Other times, I will place a Tenyo trick or two in a jacket pocket along with Professors Nightmare and whatever else I feel like performing that day such as Sponge Balls. It is mostly a mood thing.

One thing for sure is that I always prefer to use tricks which I have been doing for a long time. That is when I am most comfortable and do my best work.
I try not to carry too much nowadays, always a couple of coins (a Morgan and a dollar size Chinese coin usually), sometimes a deck of cards now, or I just wear Sankey's "Leaving Home" key around my neck for an unforgettable on-the-spot moment. :D

But for "just in case," I always have in the back of my mind the old "Hoy Book Test," for those times when I'm around some books or magazines. Always blows people completely away. And what's great is that it takes up absolutely no space in your pockets, so nothing to "carry." Just a wonderful old effect that's still one of the very best to have on you...[I]just in case![/I] ;)
[quote]On Apr 30, 2019, Mb217 wrote:
But for "just in case," I always have in the back of my mind the old "Hoy Book Test," for those times when I'm around some books or magazines. Always blows people completely away. And what's great is that it takes up absolutely no space in your pockets, so nothing to "carry." Just a wonderful old effect that's still one of the very best to have on you...[I]just in case![/I] ;) [/quote]

I agree. I am always on the look out to use it. I use Andrew Gerard's "Gerard on Hoy" take on the book test and when meeting someone new will always suggest a coffee in a near-by bookstore. A IP, gimmicked Sharpie, and a loop makes up my EDC.
I love the idea of learning & creating impromptu magic that packs small & plays big, & doesn't require really going out of your way to make sure you carry with you extra props & take up a ton of extra pocket space, so I like magic that uses objects that I always have with me anyway.

SMARTPHONE

We all have cell phones, & there is tons of great impromptu magic using just the phone, or using apps, most of which are free, especially lots of mentalism, there should be no excuse for not being able to do at least one thing with a phone, in some cases, even a borrowed phone. Lots of tricks you can learn for free right now on Youtube, especially on Rich Ferguson's channel, among many others. One other effect that came out recently that got me excited about potential phone magic is Blake Vogt's impromptu phone vanish, absolutely brilliant!

WALLET

Lots of magic that can be done impromptu with bills, such as Andrew Mayne's Infusion/Ghost Bills, Dan Harlan's impromptu stuff such as Presidential Expression/Suspended Funds, & on & on. I've also come up with a couple quick impromptu things that pretty much any magician can figure out how to do, such as making a credit card rise out of the wallet, & a couple others.

FINGER RING

Two words- RING THING!!! One of the most visually brilliant pieces of magic with endless creative applications, I cant give this concept & Garrett Thomas enough props, I'm so jealous that I didn't think of it first, & is THE reason why I ALWAYS wear a ring. That, and another masterpiece, PINNACLE, which finally leads to...

RUBBERBANDS

This is pretty much the only acception to the rule of carrying something that a normal spectator most likely wouldnt always carry with them, rubberbands. But, these still don't get carried in the pocket, I always carry a bunch on my wrist, much like Im sure most everyone else that does rubberbands does. Again, one of the greatest, most visually shocking & favorite pieces is the rubber spaghetti. You know a trick is good when people who see it request to see it over & over & over, & a perfect opener/attention getter to start off ANY magic set.

NO PROPS- Body magic, body stunts, strength tests, mentalism, hypnotism, pick pocketing, levitation

& then of course, finally, there is an arsenal of effects that uses NO props, & I am determined to one day put together an entire one man no prop stage show as an experiment see to how far the concept of no prop magic can be taken, as well as creating entire walk around routines for restaurant work.

I love this concept, because it makes YOU the magic, not the props you are handling. A magician essentially has "magic powers", super powers so to speak. Does Superman need "props" to demonstrate his magic powers? Heat vision? Super breath? Super strength? Flying? No way! The closer we can get to that, the more magical we can appear to be. And we can demonstrate SOME of these powers. Super strength? You bet, ala The Georgia Magnet tests. Super breath? Absolutely! A PK effect where you move something, in particular, something heavy, but pretend you're using your breath, this could be accomplished. Flight? Kind of. We have the Balducci levitation/King Rising, which both is also no props. A few sources include Stephen Ablett's Body Tricks DVD, John Fisher's Body Magic book, James Coats No Props Needed DVD & more.
I'll carry Extreme Burn in my wallet. Packs small and makes sense to always be in my wallet. Organic and feels impromptu.
I also wear a finger ring all the time so I can do effects like Circuit, Divorce, Reflex, Ring Thing, etc.
I also have an iPhone so I'll use apps such as ear worm or inject along with my calculator app to perform toxic.

Everything I mentioned I keep on me basically 100% of the time so I am always ready to do an impromptu set for about 10 minutes or so if the situation ever arises. Not to mention using any object around me to perform with such as borrowed coins, napkins, etc.
I'll carry Extreme Burn in my wallet. Packs small and makes sense to always be in my wallet. Organic and feels impromptu.
I also wear a finger ring all the time so I can do effects like Circuit, Divorce, Reflex, Ring Thing, etc.
I also have an iPhone so I'll use apps such as ear worm or inject along with my calculator app to perform toxic.

Everything I mentioned I keep on me basically 100% of the time so I am always ready to do an impromptu set for about 10 minutes or so if the situation ever arises. Not to mention using any object around me to perform with such as borrowed coins, napkins, etc.
I'm putting together my first EDC kit and so far it consists of:

A deck of cards (prepped for Angle Z with Pass Through reveal).
Flik.

A finger ring will be added in due course, as will a half dollar and English penny once my skills improve.