(Close Window)
Topic: Dean Dill's ring on rope
Hi @all,

I have a question regarding the Dean Dill's video recently posted on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/illusionworkshop/videos/1963982333871500/

Can anyone please suggest where is it published?

Thanks for your time and help.

Regards
Mayur
Hello
I think it's not published by Dean Dill
Dean improved an old effect
Maybe similar to an effect published in the Wizard's journal number 10 on the Sefalaa from Stewart JAMES

PASCAL
Anyone have more informations about this?
The *effect* looks similar to a Sefalalgia, which is published in many sources (including the Encyclopedia of Rope). However, the *method* does not appear to be a Sefalalgia.

This effect could be done with the ring that is mentioned in the caption of the video - AmazeRing.

If someone knows otherwise, I would love to hear about it.

John
Yes, its AmazeRing. Thanks.
The beauty of this is to use a borrowed ring. The first time I saw it was done by Slydini, then Fred Kaps, who I believe learned it from Slydini. Dean changed it just slightly, but the principle is the same. Find the clue in Discovery of Witchcraft.
And no: it's not the Ravelle & Andree principle, either. There are no magnetic joints in the examinable rope. :angel:
If the ring is borrowed and rope not gimmicked, this is the best trick I have seen in a looong time !
Love it.
:applause:
[quote]On Jun 24, 2017, Pete Biro wrote:
Find the clue in Discovery of Witchcraft.[/quote]
Pete, with all due respect but I didn't get the last hint... couldn't find anything closely related in DoW.
However, just a minute ago I've sent you the original source where the effect was first published.
FYI, Pete and I agreed on not further disclosing the original source in honor of late Dean.
[quote]On Jul 11, 2017, Nicolino wrote:
FYI, Pete and I agreed on not further disclosing the original source in honor of late Dean. [/quote]

I think it should be the other way around, else the video and effect will gradually be lost to sight...
[quote]On Jun 11, 2017, John Long wrote:
The *effect* looks similar to a Sefalalgia, which is published in many sources (including the Encyclopedia of Rope). However, the *method* does not appear to be a Sefalalgia.

This effect could be done with the ring that is mentioned in the caption of the video - AmazeRing.

If someone knows otherwise, I would love to hear about it.

John [/quote]

It's definitely not an AmazeRing. I only mentioned that because of the AmazeRing vid of Dean that I posted immediately before, and it reminded me that I'd shot the other video.
Scott
Thanks Scott. Given what you, Nicolino and Pete said.. I've been fooled.
Indeed, thanks for sharing!

I had the pleasure of visiting Dean a bit at his shoppe and virtually each visit he shared something that I had never seen nor read about anywhere else. I was lucky to purchase (and learn) his Explosion routine directly from him. I wasn't a "friend" per se, just a periodic magic student; but Dean made everybody feel at home at his shoppe. Truly a class act! One of my favorite experiences was arriving unannounced at his shoppe one late afternoon on a July 3rd. Dean was out on the patio area cleaning his grill for a Fourth of July cooking the next day. He had already closed his business, but opened it up just for me so that I could purchase his Dean's Box. He didn't make the sale and rush me out. Rather he gave me a private lesson on the finer details of the apparatus. What an awesome human being.

I had never seen the ring trick. What a fooler. And a pure treat to see. Thanks again Scott. I don't even want to know how it's done...I truly like the idea that there are still a few things out there which can provide such a strong sense of wonder even to those of us who have been into magic for a while.
Dean did not take this effect to his grave.........this is genius , Pete is right he changed it a little. Dean did share this with the magic community, but not the handling as far as I know

vinny
I thought I noticed "something" during my first viewing. Second one confirmed it (i think)

As with all of Dean's magic, it's extremely clever. In respect to Dean, I wont be discussing my findings.
The method is in Slydini book by Fulves. Dean made a subtle change.
Hello Pete Biro, thank you ! yes I see in the book description the same configuration…behind a book... :-)
Do you know if it is possible to reproduce Dean handling from the Slydini book ? To see if worth purchasing the book (Slydini = hard stuff, too hard for me ;-)).

Thank you
I'm aware of two books on Slydini that are by Fulves,

The Best of Slydini by Karl Fulves
Magical World of Slydini by Karl Fulves

but I don't see anything in the TOC that looks like Dean's effect. Is it in a different book?

John
Hello John, it is in Magical World of Slydini by Karl Fulves, check the Toc here : http://archive.denisbehr.de/list/book/787
Page 76, called "The Ring On The String".

:)
Thanks; I was looking at the TOC for a different, but similar title.

That book archive is also very useful.

John
EVEN READING THE TEXT WILL NOT HELP YOU ....... IT IS A RIDDLE
Vinny: Are saying the book's explanation is hard to understand?
Hello John Long,

I was wondering, did you have time to read it ? :-) Do you think Dean version is reproducible from it ?

Thank you !
HI JOHN THE WAY IT IS READ AND DEANS VERSION IT CANT BE DONE...

VINNY

deans version
is a 1000 times better imho
[quote]On Sep 11, 2017, papawemba wrote:
Hello John Long,

I was wondering, did you have time to read it ? :-) Do you think Dean version is reproducible from it ?

Thank you ! [/quote]

I do not have the Slydini book being discussed, I only read the brief description provided in a link earlier in this thread.
So, I can't answer you question, but Vinny seems to think the Slydini book is not sufficient to perform Dean's effect.
Exact!
Page 76 is it!
Beautiful
For those that are interested, there are a few original copies available online, but Lybrary seems to have a good price, $30

https://www.lybrary.com/the-magical-world-of-slydini-text-photos-p-893116.html
Apparently it is not possible to do Dean's version from that book :-) So buy it for something else ! ;-)
Unless Kardini, you have another opinion ? Thank you !
BUMP

For some reason while exercising in my Y's pool, I started thinking about Dean's ring on string effect... then a flash of inspiration! I knew how the effect could be done (but my method had a limitation). Re-looking at the performance, I saw the parts of the method I was thinking of. After 2 more views, I saw how Dean (or Slydini; I don't know which parts belong to who) dealt with the limitation in my method. Wonderful. Wonderfully choreographed, wonderfully performed.

I agree with what someone else said, it is too bad that Dean's method is not published. Has anyone thought of putting out a book of Dean's magic?

John
Yes wonderful trick, probably one of my all time favorite.
Can't see where there is some choreography going on :-)

Nicolas
I am confused.
Dean is using his own variant from an old method that he never recorded/published or commercially released?

So with his passing this has been lost, correct?
[quote]On May 27, 2019, papawemba wrote:
Yes wonderful trick, probably one of my all time favorite.
Can't see where there is some choreography going on :-)

Nicolas [/quote]

Nicolas: maybe I'm not using the terms correctly. I was referring to one specific thing and how he managed some of the misdirection. It reminded me of things that Slydini may have choreographed.

Yet, I'm not sure if I would perform this trick(it seems slow) , but I do like how this was put together.
Thanks John Long, I like how the mystery slowly build up.
Perfect trick for friend and family, in intimate parlor setting.
I watched that video x times, and nowhere to go as how this could be done lol Dean Dill is awesome.

Nicolas
Well I watched it one more time...and I finally have an idea of it work ;-)
Now I understand the choreographed thing. I would never have figure it out seeing it live.
Awesome
I seen Fred Kaps perform this effect at Abbott's Get-To-Gether, when Kaps Lectured on a stage. He did not explain the working, but I remember it being published in a general magic book sold at book stores. I was not impressed with the effect, and he performed it exactly as Dean Dill did in the video. Kaps also got no reaction to it. I have long forgot where it is published, but I would not spend the time looking or learning this effect.

As I remember it is the preparation of the string using multi strand sting.

Just where would or could this be performed, as no one can be to the sides or behind you. Instead of folded board, you would need a box, so no sides are open to viewing.
Deans version is nothing like Slydini's
iknow how it is done and it is a work of beauty
vinny