(Close Window)
Topic: [Review] Quiver by Kelvin Chow
Quiver Ė Kelvin Chow

Product description : It seems that the wallet trend is a little bit over, there was a lot of wallets coming out recently. Now, letís talk about purses ! I love having a purse with me, now if not only I can carry my coins but also do magic tricks, it would be a dream. The dream is now a reality thanks to the Quiver by Kelvin Chow, itís a devious little leather coin purse which will act like a change bag but donít think this is limited only to what a change bag can do ! With Quiver, youíll be able to change objects, coins, do some prediction effects, card to impossible location and so on. Itís small and pretty, made out of real leather, it seems to be ticking all the boxes but is it worth your money ? Letís find out !

Price and where to buy it : This is sold at $39 and you can find it on Glitch Studio website : http://glitchstudio.goodsie.com/quiver-purse

What you get : You receive a very pretty little box, with the artwork printed on it, nothing fancy about it but itís a nice thing. Inside, protected by some foam, youíll find your Quiver purse, and I must say Iím really impress by the quality of it ! I know there are plenty of leather kind but the Quiver is made out of one of my favourite leather, itís soft, feels and smells great. The quality of the purse is amazing, I can see it lasting a long time. As for its size, I would say it will hold quite a few coins, around 6 to 8 half dollars and a bunch of smaller coins. As for the video, itís a Youtube non-listed video, it lasts around 30 minutes and itís very well shot, clear, to the point, without fancy editing, just what we need in terms of magic video. They provide you with several routines and ideas and I think this is very important because the Quiver is something which can achieve a lot but having some ideas to start with is a great base so you can come up with your own. Iím very impressed by the whole product, itís one, if not the, best quality product Iíve seen this year.

Teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLppw7Tf0S4

The pros and the cons : Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS :
Ė The purse canít really be examined but you can let the spectator handle it ! So on one hand, itís a con but on the other hand, itís not a problem because people can open it themselves.
Ė I know the last one wasnít really a con in itself but it was so hard to find one so.. Maybe the price, it may be a little bit expensive for just a coin purse.

THE PROS :
Ė First of all, this item is one of the best Iíve seen this year in terms of quality, itís well made, no fancy packaging nor explanations video, just a simple and straight to the point tutorial. The purse in itself is made out of very fine leather.
Ė THE SPECTATORS CAN OPEN THE PURSE THEMSELVES ! This is a huge pro compared to a change bag, which you couldnít let people even touch. Here, the magic happens in the spectatorís own hands, they can whether checked that something has changed or take out a piece of paper.
Ė You can switch from one compartment to the other without having to close the purse, which will allow to do some amazing visual effects such as a bill turning into a bunch of coins. But not only that, you can show a folded card into the purse, and while you ďdumpĒ it, you can switch it for the spectatorís signed one !
Ė Itís very easy to do, you can decide which compartment you want to open in seconds and open it without even thinking about it, which is great, and I want to be sure Iím opening the right compartment every time without having to look at the purse to make sure itís open.
Ė The purse can hold billets, folded cards, coins, post it note and so on so itís a very versatile prop which can be used in many different magical fields, whether itís coin magic, mentalism or cards.
Ė With a little bit of thinking, you could use it to perform effects like Inferno by Joshua Jay, and the video helps you to develop these ideas. Think about what a himber wallet can do and do it with the purse !

Overall rating : This is a change bag built into a purse, which people can open and they will always open the same compartment, so you can do many effects hands off ! I will be definitely using it, this is, itís one of my favourite utility tool Iíve had this year so far, 4/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, itís very easy to know which compartment to open, you can focus on your presentation, I would say 1/5 stars.

Similar products : There are a few other products which can achieve the same thing, first the C-Purse which I will also review, the Tony Osaka Purse, or even the purse by Magie Factory called The Switcher.

If you liked my review, make sure to check all my other ones on my website :)
I see in the demo video he does a change prediction. Is this possible with the Quiver Alex?
[quote]On Sep 6, 2017, John C wrote:
I see in the demo video he does a change prediction. Is this possible with the Quiver Alex? [/quote]

In the trailer of the Quiver ?
Bargatze Ė I Hate Kids

Has what appears to be 3 of these purses and is only
$50.

I'm not sure because I don't have it.
I have one ,i like it, is very good quality.
[quote]On Sep 7, 2017, Neznarf wrote:
Bargatze Ė I Hate Kids

$50.

I'm not sure because I don't have it. [/quote]
not the same thing.

this looks super cool, but the visuals scream "trick coin purse!" and it can't be really looked at so.... "Cool, where can I get a trick purse like that?"
[quote]On Sep 7, 2017, the Sponge wrote:
[quote]On Sep 7, 2017, Neznarf wrote:
Bargatze Ė I Hate Kids

$50.

I'm not sure because I don't have it. [/quote]
not the same thing.

this looks super cool, but the visuals scream "trick coin purse!" and it can't be really looked at so.... "Cool, where can I get a trick purse like that?" [/quote]

not if you use it properly. just like everything else.
[quote]On Sep 7, 2017, Alex DLF wrote:
[quote]On Sep 6, 2017, John C wrote:
I see in the demo video he does a change prediction. Is this possible with the Quiver Alex? [/quote]

In the trailer of the Quiver ? [/quote]

yea
Yes, it's completely possible :)
[quote]On Sep 8, 2017, John C wrote:
[quote]

not if you use it properly. just like everything else. [/quote]
No. Some things scream "trick X" no matter how you use it.

What do you think people will think if they see these visual changes and can't look at the purse?

S
[quote]On Sep 9, 2017, the Sponge wrote:
[quote]On Sep 8, 2017, John C wrote:
[quote]

not if you use it properly. just like everything else. [/quote]
No. Some things scream "trick X" no matter how you use it.

What do you think people will think if they see these visual changes and can't look at the purse?

S [/quote]

like I said...if you use it properly. just like everything else...

Mine should arrive after the hurricane has passed and the mail is delivered again. :(
[quote]On Sep 9, 2017, John C wrote:

like I said...if you use it properly. just like everything else...

[/quote]

Oh, ok then. Great discussion/rebuttal.
Kind of agree about the visual changes but haven't tried any of those yet. There's a thousand other things that you can use it for besides the visual things and it's darn near perfect for those. The spectator being able to open it is a game changer.
I have it. Super cool, high quality.
Recommended!
[quote]On Sep 10, 2017, videoman wrote:
Kind of agree about the visual changes but haven't tried any of those yet. There's a thousand other things that you can use it for besides the visual things and it's darn near perfect for those. The spectator being able to open it is a game changer. [/quote]

My point. We all have our ideas and uses for props. The demos aren't cut in stone. There's so much more you can use this for besides visual changes.
[quote]On Sep 11, 2017, John C wrote:

My point. We all have our ideas and uses for props. The demos aren't cut in stone. There's so much more you can use this for besides visual changes. [/quote]
That wasn't your point. You didn't say that at all.
No one said the demo was cut in stone. No one said you couldn't use it for other things.
So then you agree with me about the visual changes. Which was my point.

s
[quote]On Sep 10, 2017, videoman wrote:
Kind of agree about the visual changes but haven't tried any of those yet. There's a thousand other things that you can use it for besides the visual things and it's darn near perfect for those. The spectator being able to open it is a game changer. [/quote]

My point. We all have our ideas and uses for props. The demos aren't cut in stone. There's so much more you can use this for besides visual changes. [/quote]

Agreed!
[quote]On Sep 11, 2017, the Sponge wrote:

That wasn't your point. You didn't say that at all.
No one said the demo was cut in stone. No one said you couldn't use it for other things.
So then you agree with me about the visual changes. Which was my point.

s [/quote]

good lord Mr Sponge. Ok, you're right!! I'm wrong.
This looks like it would be perfect for a bill serial number divination. Money goes in a purse for safe keeping and they remove it themselves after some time misdirection. Since it isn't visual and they remove it themselves they shouldn't suspect a switch.
[quote]On Sep 19, 2017, Paul Rathbun wrote:
This looks like it would be perfect for a bill serial number divination. Money goes in a purse for safe keeping and they remove it themselves after some time misdirection. Since it isn't visual and they remove it themselves they shouldn't suspect a switch. [/quote]

yes that sounds like a good plan!
I've got a couple of these bad boys. Love them ! One of the best purchases made this year.
[quote]On Sep 7, 2017, the Sponge wrote:
this looks super cool, but the visuals scream "trick coin purse!" and it can't be really looked at so.... "Cool, where can I get a trick purse like that?" [/quote]

100% agreed. It's a big mistake to sell this purse using this argument, because it's pretty much the only thing you see in the trailer. I have the C-Purse, and it can't do what the Quiver/VDR can do, but I don't care because this effect is silly. The magical moment appear when the object is in the purse. When I use my gimmicked purse, the magical moment happens in my hands (or in spectator's hands, eventually), and the purse is sitting on the table during that time, when no one is looking at it while I do my effects. That's why with such a structure, there is much less heat on the purse.
It just depends on how you will use it, Quiver allows you to do both approach while the C-purse is much more limited.

Plus, the Quiver is easier to use, looks better and feels better.
[quote]On Sep 19, 2017, Paul Rathbun wrote:
This looks like it would be perfect for a bill serial number divination. Money goes in a purse for safe keeping and they remove it themselves after some time misdirection. Since it isn't visual and they remove it themselves they shouldn't suspect a switch. [/quote]

That was my first thought too!
I'd even love to go further and work with serial numbers and a second purse with coins and their dates. Butt tne one thing I'm sceptical about is the work with Coins and rings... will the spectators not feels or hear that there's something inside? I mean paper is one thing, but metal... anyone having this can clarify how it feels in your hand when loaded with a coin, key, ring etc. or even two coins... don't the cling together..?
No sound but they can be felt.. So some audience management to keep them from "feeling" it or use items such as paper are thin cards instead..

I still love mine but probably wont do much with thicker items that can be felt..
I tried the VDR, a friend of mine purchased it. I purchased the C-Purse. I can tell that both of them cover the sound pretty well. Unless you're overshaking the purse like crazy, of course. Also, make sure to open the purse widely, and you won't hear any sound.
Being as friend and magic buddy of Kelvin Chow, I am happy to see Quiver being released through different channels and made it available to other countries.

On a side note, Quiver actually is the brand of props made by leather named by Kelvin. In terms of knowledge of leather materials I can say that Kelvin is an expert in field, even though he was FISM Card Magic 2nd runner up in Rimini 2015.

Peronally, most professional demo of Quiver showed it can be done with changing coins. Since Quiver early released last year in Hong Kong / Greater China, many young magicians have more ideas coming up. I think some of them might be found via internet say youtube maybe?

One of the best thing about Quiver is you can choose and adjust how many leather wallet you need to use, depend on what kind of magic you perform, many bought one, and for my personal choice I bought three and it was so limited in supply I need to buy it from magic shop while even Kelvin is out of stock!

As for my favorite use, I will say use this props in the direction of mentalism effect will unleash the true potential and innocent looking of this wonderful prop.

Enjoy and I really believe that Quiver will serve you all gentlemen well in years to come.

Sincerely,
I have just gotten Quiver and think it is a fantastic utility item. A changing bag in your palm. I do, however, have one early complaint. Coins get stuck in it. I am using half-dollar size, and even when there are no other coins in the hidden side, they tend to get stuck. You can, of course, take them out with your fingers, but pouring them out is not always certain. This even happens to him on Kelvin's instructional video. With Morgan size coins, they tended to get stuck often when I trued them. Now maybe the leather will loosen a bit over time. I find shaking the purse helps free them, but it sometimes takes quite a vigorous shake which may seem unnatural! Has anyone else noticed this? Ideas to help? (I know it is a very recent release so we may need time). Otherwise, it is a very well made and versatile tool! Thanks, Kelvin. I will be getting more for various effects.
I'll reply to myself on this one. With more handling I have had better luck with pouring the coins out. The coins can be affected by how you handle the purse and its secret. The wrong grip can make them stick.. With more experience with it, I am doing better with getting them to pour out naturally without any excessive shaking. This is a very nice prop that can add a lot to coin routines like Hopping Half, Scotch & Soda, etc. And it has uses beyond coins, too. Happy.
Just got mine as well.... I need to order three more!! That being said, my gripe is he stamped the name of the purse/effect right into the side of the leather. Why do that.? N2g did it on his coin purse too. In the nature of people and Google these days, there stands a chance that they MIGHT Google Quiver and purse. And guess what comes up? It's a small gripe but warrants asking I think. Chances are it will fly by specs. But I would still like an unstamped option. Still, love it and I am looking to use it in place of my Becker Coin Purse.

Well done Kelvin!
I do agree that the stamping is slightly irritating - but if the volunteer is paying enough attention to the purse to notice that, and then remember it to Google it later, that's a failure on the performer's part.
I agree and disagree. In today's world, keeping 100% of people riveted with your magic can be easier said then done. Sometimes people just don't care about the Magic. Or it bores them no matter how charismatic a person and performance can be. It is just the nature of some people nowadays.
Perhaps. But I have never encountered a level of disinterest to that degree.

I also notice, as I play with it, I notice that my natural handling covers the stamps completely. If one were to get the feeling that someone might be thinking of busting them, they could either hang on to the purse themselves, or hand it to a volunteer in such a way to increase the odds of the stamping being towards the person's hands. Have them open it, take whatever out, and hand it back. No time to inspect things.
Lots of things have brand names on them. Almost everything. My wallet says Tumi. Other little coin purses say Eagle or whatever. I agree that if someone is interested enough to look at the logo, they are not interested enough in the magic.
I mean, if theyíre Googling the brand name on the coin purse, itís because theyíve already figured out it was a trick coin purse. (That or they found it extremely stylish and wanted to be the only non-magician on the planet carrying around a coin purse in 2017.)
[quote]On Sep 28, 2017, normative wrote:
(That or they found it extremely stylish and wanted to be the only non-magician on the planet carrying around a coin purse in 2017.) [/quote]

Nonsense! They could also be children or women.

I kid, of course. Judging by the reviews on Amazon for similar products I don't think this is as uncommon as you're making it out to be.
[quote]On Sep 27, 2017, Judah Vee wrote:
I agree and disagree. In today's world, keeping 100% of people riveted with your magic can be easier said then done. Sometimes people just don't care about the Magic. Or it bores them no matter how charismatic a person and performance can be. It is just the nature of some people nowadays. [/quote]

I kind of agree with what you say here, and agree with your first comment as well. Even though I think the chances that might happen is very low, I understand your feeling about the unnecessary need of putting a brand on such items.

That was exactly one of the (very few) features I disliked the most regarding my Geneva watch. At 12 O'oclock, it's written, CW. No problem. At 6, it's written, in small characters, Collector's Workshop. It's possible that people may catch that, and even more plausible they ask me about the brand of the watch (it's a pocket watch, so very unsual item these days, this is thus no illogical they ask about it).

I pretty much prefer the logo VDR, because the letters are all overlapping, making it very difficult to distinguish the letters unless you examine closely for a long moment.

My C-Purse has a logo, but no brand. Again, it's a small detail, but I appreciate that.
Where are you guys buying your quiver at?
Are they available at glitch studios? Or is there any left?
A lot of sites preorder now.
They sold out incredibly fast. All sites are on pre order again as I doubt Kelvin thought these would go as ballistic as the have. I myself have three more on pre order. Should have ordered four to begin with, but I wanted to see the quality first. I would suggest buying it from ELLUSIONIST, or SEO, or whoever is closest for you. I doubt you will be dissapointed as I am not.

Respect,
-J-
I need to order 3 more as well. I am putting together a serious bill divination. Actually, for it I only need one.
After a few weeks with Quiver, and also talking with a friend who has one, we are both finding that coins tend to not always pour out when the purse is opened and tipped. It seems to be a tight fit (I am using 2 half-dollars on either side). Sometimes they come out, sometimes I have to reach in. Not a big deal, but turning the purse upside-down and dumping a few coins onto the hand also helps sell that it is empty. Anybody else having this issue? Solutions? (I have tried a grip that in no way touches the tab, but still find the coins get caught in the bottom).
I am using Canadian Loonies and have the same sort of problem. Not a big deal but I would also be interested in hearing any solutions.

Ed
Hmm I don't have the problems you guys are mentioning. This said, mine is a VDR, not Quiver. I don't think there should be any difference : it's the same product. I think VDR is just the old name of Quiver. This is worth mentioning however.
After working with it, I have found that if I open it farther and rattle the coins inside before I tip over then I don't have any stick. This is a very nice product and happy with the purchase.
If you are using billets can it be examined?
Just got my Quiver today (yea, I know, late to the party), I'm having difficulty opening the 'hidden' side one handed. If I transfer the purse from my left hand to my right and open it I can easily do either side as needed, but one-handed as shown in the video just doesn't work for me, or it looks so fiddly that something is obviously going on. Granted I've only been playing with it for an hour or so, but just can't get it. Is it the newness, or am I handling it wrong?
[quote]On Mar 29, 2018, Sanukk wrote:
Just got my Quiver today (yea, I know, late to the party), I'm having difficulty opening the 'hidden' side one handed. If I transfer the purse from my left hand to my right and open it I can easily do either side as needed, but one-handed as shown in the video just doesn't work for me, or it looks so fiddly that something is obviously going on. Granted I've only been playing with it for an hour or so, but just can't get it. Is it the newness, or am I handling it wrong? [/quote]

I had problems at first.
Took me 3-4 days messing with it.
Finally ďgot itĒ.

Now I have no issues.
This is one that just takes experimentation and you will get it.

Keep trying
It's a knack certainly.

J
OK, I'll keep plugging away at it then, thanks guys.
[quote]On Apr 1, 2018, Sanukk wrote:
OK, I'll keep plugging away at it then, thanks guys. [/quote]

I have very dry hands and sometimes this causes a problem as does palming and card and coin stuff.

Just have to learn how to do the same stuff with dry hand disability. I guess it's not the worst affliction.
I'm considering buying this. Is there a FB page created for users of it?
Yes there is a FB page for owners

Ed
I had this gem when it very first came out and purchased it direct from Kelvin but this is the first I've heard of a FB page do you have a link or do we just put Quiver in the FB search ?

This is one of the best things to come out in a long time in fact I think its that good I've just ordered a second one :)
Https://www.facebook.com/groups/2006225416310850/
[quote]On Apr 3, 2018, egoli wrote:
Https://www.facebook.com/groups/2006225416310850/ [/quote]

Thanks for the info , I have just purchased from Saturn

Very well made takes a few tries to get the knack but once you do very easy

Very good product
Thanks for the informative review Alex. Does anyone know a place to buy Quiver in the US? It seems like an amazing effect. Everywhere I've checked seems to be sold out. Thanks very much in advance.
[quote]On Apr 9, 2018, Hinge Thunder wrote:
Thanks for the informative review Alex. Does anyone know a place to buy Quiver in the US? It seems like an amazing effect. Everywhere I've checked seems to be sold out. Thanks very much in advance. [/quote]

Hocus Pocus shows that they have them in stock, but I have purchased items from them in the past where they claimed in stock but after paying they told me the items were back ordered. So try asking them first.

https://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/index.cfm?p=46778

Jim
Hey there Jim. Thank you very much. Iíll get in touch with Hocus Pocus. See if they actually have them in stock. Thanks again, I appreciate it.
Another thing to do is search for VDR Wallet. It's the old name but the same wallet. I bought my from a European page but that may be a bit expensive in shipping..
How much luck have people had using this like a mystery box? I love the ability to show the purse empty, but do you feel like it raises to much suspicion?
Problem: Pressure at the top and not the tab opens both compartments. Thus, mine can't be used by spectators. I tried the "bend" suggestion, but same result. Anyone else? Thanks.
Love my quiver + but Iím curious if they plan to make them in other colors so that they match the quiver wallet?
[quote]On May 4, 2018, donny wrote:
Problem: Pressure at the top and not the tab opens both compartments. Thus, mine can't be used by spectators. I tried the "bend" suggestion, but same result. Anyone else? Thanks. [/quote]

I'm at the early stages of the same problem. 2nd side is showing a little when opened normally. Bending in all sorts of ways doesn't seem to do anything. I emailed ellusionist yesterday, didn't hear back.
An exceptional routine using Quiver!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzL4SPlrruk&list=PLS5im42U1ZvbCwGpY4w1-zD19UBxOJR1x&index=8
[quote]On May 4, 2018, donny wrote:
Problem: Pressure at the top and not the tab opens both compartments. Thus, mine can't be used by spectators. I tried the "bend" suggestion, but same result. Anyone else? Thanks. [/quote]

Could you solve the problem?

In the product video it is said that a spectator can open the wallet himself. Is that right?
I have four of them, two of each size, and they work perfectly.