(Close Window)
Topic: Hydrostatic glass help
I am having a problem with my handling of the hydrostatic glass. I can't seem to get the gimmick in place without a lot of telltale clinking sounds. I have two versions of the glass: The Superior glass and the Pop Haydn glass. The Superior glass is especially noisy in that the gimmick continues to rattle when the glass is upside down due to a very loose fit of the gimmick. Pop's glass is much quieter. I do think part of the issue with noise is that the Superior glass is made of glass whereas the Pop Haydn glass is not. The actual glass is much louder than the plastic one.

Any suggestions for quieter handling?
I did the Hydrostatic glass when I was 16-19, in the '40s. It was messy, but the EFFECT was strong. (I used John Booth's routine from "Marvels of Mystery",

I never had a problem with the standard gaff of the time,(plastic). Since you have two props (one that "doesn't work") I would suggest disposing of the noisy prop, and, use Doc's.
Have you tried vaseline?
Are you talking at the critical moment? The human voice can provide some cover.
Talking or music will help cover the noise. Also, try experimenting with putting the gimmick in place (ex: approaching the glass at an angle, sliding the gimmick into place, etc.) and then you'll find a way that works for you. You could ask the audience for to do something, ex: And now I will place the paper over the glass over water- everyone say ohh-ahh..... that will help with the noise problem and allow you to relax during the process.

hope this helps.

John
It takes a bit of practice. Lower one side into place first and then let the thumb side go in last. Just use the tip of the thumb to lower the gimmick into place. Take your time. A light, slow movement is needed.
Thank you to all for the helpful input. I am getting better at this with practice.
Remember, as far as the audience knows, you are just trying to get the paper centered. You should act as if you need to get it exactly right. That helps you to take your time, and motivates you looking up at it from below.
We are putting out a limited run of the Pop Haydn Hydro-Static Glasses in conjunction with Magic Apple. Check it out at popsmagic.com
Only eight Hydro glasses left at www.PopsMagic.com
If you are considering buying a Hydrostatic Glass then look no further than the one sold by Propdog. The quality of the prop is superb made from a virtually unbreakable plastic material and the gimmick is one of quality. The prop comes in a variety of designs, shot, champagne and pint size. Add to this a quality of service which is second to none. A wholehearted recommendation on every level. www.propdog.co.uk
I published a routine called "Hotel Hydrostatic Glass" in a Vanish Magazine issue #16 that solves the noise problem.
Pops makes a great glass! And his routine.... 'ain't' half bad either!

For an alternative, I am now selling just three of the glasses that I make (and use myself) in the 'Magic for Sale' section.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=685299&forum=76
Been super pleased with my prop dog shot glass. They have many sizes available.
I still have a couple of these left. PM me if interested.
[quote]On Jun 6, 2019, JNeal wrote:
I still have a couple of these left. PM me if interested. [/quote]

After knowing JNeal for many decades, If he makes it, I can't imagine a better working professional grade product!
Thanks Ray! Back from your overseas bookings?
JNeal Looks great! Is the tumbler glass or plastic?
High index plastic: acrylic

The wall of the glass is over 1/8" thick, which gives it great durability and a large surface area for the 'secret something ' to cling to.
It looks like a ground rim.
Yes!
Hand ground by yours truly... completely flat
Excellent.