(Close Window)
Topic: Movies with magic in them
What are some movies with magic tricks or flourishes in them. Some movies that I can think of are as good as it gets and pretty woman.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Apr 12, 2004 08:17PM)
Have a look at [i]Time Bandits[/i].
Bogus

Pretty Woman

Columbo Goes to the Guillotine

The Saint

Houdini (starring Jonathon Shaech)
Didn't we already have a thread like this?
Thanks for the information and Andini your probably right but I didn't see it and I thought it was an original post so I didn't bother checking.
Er.....could we all say what magic tricks we saw? I heard that Johnny Depp does some in Benny and Joon but I haven't seen it yet.
He did clever, clowny, comic feats in Benny and Joon rather than magic if I remember.
"Truly,Madly,Deeply" has a dove trick.
Batman, Jack Nicholasn as The Joker did some nice card stuff. Lloyd,Dude Where's My Car,The Magicians,Dunstun Checks in, Big Top Pee Wee,Daredevil, The Crow City of Angels had a nice flash paper bit in it also The Rising card and Coin from ear and pick a card, Diagnosis Murder Dick Van Dyke did some card manip and I think the original Oceans 11 with Frank Sinatra had some nice coin stuff in I know it has some sort of trick in. Magicgeorge where in Truly Madly Deeply is there a Dove trick?

Bset Regards,

Luke
Re: Truly Madly Deeply...

It's years since I saw this film, but there's a scene in a restaurant where, in order to difuse an argumant, (?insert-name-here?) transforms a Russian paperback novel into a dove!

Jon.
Yup, what Jon says. It's quite a funny scene and the first time you see it you're definitely not expecting a magic trick. I can't remember his name either though.
Just check out some of Val Kilmer's stuff. He is a decent coin worker.
I think there was some magic in the Harry Potter movies.
Mary Poppins!! She flies better than Copperfield!!

peter
In "My cousin Vinny" Joe Pesci does a card trick while explaining the prosecutor's case to Ralph Macchio. As a side not he does the trick with Tally-Ho cards but the card box is a Bicycle.

Jeff
Johnny Depp does a coin roll in Pirates of the Caribbean. And Baghdad Café has a lot of fun with magic.
Almost as obvious as Harry potter- Lord of (the rings-I mean) Illusions.
"Eternally Yours" is a great one for magicians. Paul LePaul (some of whose books are still in print) was the magic consultant. If you have the book “Houdini’s Escapes and Magic” or “Houdini’s Magic” (paperback version) the movie actually uses (and exposes) an effect in that book, “The Flight of Venus.” I’m sure the matter-of-fact expose was quite humorous to movie audiences because of the clever and unexpected method used in the illusion (Houdini developed the idea in his notes but never performed it).

Speaking of films, there is a very old one called "The Evil Mind" about a mentalist who later discovers he has true clairvoyant powers. It is a British film starring Claude Rains and Fay Wray (of King Kong fame) and is based on The Clairvoyant, a novel by Ernst Lothar. Black-and-white, 1935. It starts off with a great scene of a mentalist on the stage doing a 1930's style second-sight act with his assistant in the audience. I picked it up for 99˘ in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart. ;)

Also, Look at this link:

http://www.magictricks.com/library/reel.htm

The definitive list (which I contributed to) is here:

http://www.repromagic.co.uk/resource/movie1.html
Willow
Labyrinth
House of Games
Star Wars (don't they use a force in that one?)
I got another one The Crimson Pirate, On of my favourite movies of all time there is some nice Cigar Manipulation in it and also some nice mouth coil type trick in it.

Luke
The movie Shade has a lot of card stuff in it. There are numerous Chinese Gambling movies that I own with a lot of sleight ofhand/flourishes in them.
Muddy, please stop refering to every trick in a film as "nice" or I will have to call you Lindawe for a week.

CobainDraven
'The Recruit' with Al Pacino and Colin Farrell - Pacino does a torn and restored newspaper !
[quote]
On 2004-04-26 20:05, avimagic wrote:
Star Wars (don't they use a force in that one?)
[/quote]
He did not say that...
Nightmare Alley
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "Terror Train" yet.

In "Terror Train," a class of seniors are having their graduation night party on a train, but someone is going around murdering the students. As part of the entertainment on the train, there is a magician who entertains them.

Playing the part of the magician is none other than a very young David Copperfield.
[quote]
On 2004-04-22 13:01, whitelephant wrote:
Johnt depp does a coin roll in Pirates of the Carabien(sp?)...[/quote]

Actually his computer generated hand does.

This isn't a movie...but in the final Episode of "Freaks and Geeks" (my favorite show), there is a humorous situation where a disco dancer performs plenty of magic. Appearing Cane from Silk, Card productions, etc....while dancing to some disco.
I don't know about flourishes or anything but one of my favorite lines in a magic type of movie is from "Magic" when Anthony Hopkins yells at Anne Margaret telling her to concentrate, CONCENTRATE! Your'e not concentrating enough!!! As he is trying desperately to divine her card.
It cracks me up everytime I see it and I am just waiting for the opportune moment to spring that one on an unsuspecting spectator or fellow magician who I may be showing a card trick to and he tries to foul it up!

GlenD
Having Wonderful Crime...magician murdered for overcharging...exposes sub trunk
Well, it's not a movie, but Nickelodeon's "Drake and Josh" (a TV show) has magic. Josh does magic as a hobby.
"Mask of Diljon" (c. 1940's?) has a few tricks in it including Chair Suspension and Zombie.

John Calvert's, "Devil's Cargo" has much magic in it, including appearing ducks, and cigarette manipulations.

"Turnaround" has Eddie Albert as the patriarch magician with Doug McKeon as his grandson, an up and coming magician. Lots of magic here.

"A-Haunting-We-Will-Go" with Laurel and Hardy had much magic with Dante.

"The Ranger, the Cook and a Hole in the Sky" has a good card sequence by Ricky Jay.

There are actually many more that I have seen, but I am shooting from the hip here and can't recall them all now.
I can't believe no one has cited "Penn and Teller Get Killed." There is a lot of magic in this film. Some of the best is when Penn says to Teller, "Show them why we hate magic," and Teller puts on this fey smile and starts mincing around producing silks.

Yours,

Paul
I saw "Penn and Teller get Killed" many years ago, so my memory is a little foggy.

Doesn't Teller walk into a feeding flock of pigeons in the park, startle them, and reach out and catch one? I thought, people will never know how he did that. They'll think he really reached out and caught one. What a brilliant use of dove work, a natural application!

BTW, in the beginning scenes of Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban, one of the magic tricks that are performed (non camera trickery) is that someone vanishes a Nielsen bottle off a table, when wiping the table off with a cloth, in the scene in the pub. At least, that's what I saw. :)

- Donald
Donald,

Also, who can forget the stage act scene in which Teller's failure to escape results in a bunch of big drill bits driving through his body. In the interest of good taste, at the last minute a modest white screen pops up around the device and is promptly splattered with blood.

As an audience member has been lowering a rope the whole time following Penn's instructions, the responsibility is suddenly on them. How could they have just blindly followed instructions?

To me, this routine sort of summed up the whole middle part of the twentieth century.

Yours,

Paul
The Chiodo brothers' "Killer Klowns From Outer Space!" It has great set-up lines as well:
"You're not going to make a dummy out of me!"
"What are you boys going to do with those pies?"
"What are you gonna do... knock my block off?"
It's my camp classic favorite.
"On golden pond" the whole film was magic

Paula
"Brother From Another Planet"... a kid on a bus does a routine that, if not Sam the Bellhop, darned similar. (Been a long time since I've seen it.)
Television again, "McMillian and Wife" had an episode with a deranged magician as did "Knight Rider" (the latter being a very young Lance Burton.)

There's also one plot that got retred three times. "Burke's Law" had a magician's convention where a magician did an endurance test, placed in a metal coffin emerged in a swimming pool. When he's brought out, he's been shot dead! They reused this plot for the pilot of "Blacke's Magic" and again in the remake of "Burke's Law." (I don't remember if there were any plot changes from 1st Burke's to Blacke's, but from 1st Burke's to 2nd Burke's they made an odd decision. In the first story, the magician was killed because he was going to expose the murderer's past. In the second one, he'd gotten off on a drunk driving charge that had resulted in a death, and the murder thought he was extracting justice!)
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Oct 8, 2004 10:20PM)
"The Defenders" had a segment in which a magician dies via an underwater escape stunt. As a spoiler: the investigators conclude it was a high-profile suicide.

"Columbo" once had a segment where he matched wits with a murderer/magician, played by Jack Cassidy.

In 1972 there was a TV movie (unsold series pilot) called "Escape," which starred Christopher George as an escape artist named Cammeron Steele. It was sort of a specialized precursor to Bill Bixby's series "The Magician."

Then there was Vincent Price's thriller, "The Mad Magician."

Steve
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Oct 8, 2004 10:21PM)
Oh, and the dubbed Czech (?) film, "Hanussen," about the infamous German mystic who was murdered by the Gestapo after he 'predicted' the Reichstag fire.

Steve
Message: Posted by: The Great Blackwell (Oct 9, 2004 12:53AM)
Who handled the card work for Paul Newman's character before he joins the card game on the train in "The Sting?" Was it Scarne? Thanks!!
I vaguely recall a film called "Quicker Than the Eye" which involved a James-Bond style Illusionist played by Ben Gazzara. Been too many years since I've seen it, though.

"Waiting for the Light" features Shirley Maclaine as a birthday party Magicienne...presenting a classic sawing in half, but complete with blood a'la Richiardi. Needless to say, the kids freaked.

Don't forget Billy McComb's appearance in "Lord of Illusions."

Didn't River Phoenix vanish from a box at the beginning of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?"

If we go back further, Laurel and Hardy did a film with Dante' that featured magic...and Houdini did some film shorts, himself.

"Three Little Words" features Red Skelton and Fred Astaire as songwriters Kalmar & Ruby. Skelton does some magic in that one...and in his first TV shows, Red played a character that was a bumbling magician.

"Ghostbusters" used an Aga Levitation to raise Sigourney Weaver off the bed. And although not presented as magic per se, The early "Nightmare on Elm Street" films did many of their special effects live due to budget constraints and utilized magician's principles. In "Poltergeist III" all of the effects were also done live using magical concepts. (Some really cool mirror stuff in there, too.)

"Just You and Me, Kid" features George Burns as a retired Vaudeville magician, if memory serves. I seem to recall Brooke Shields being levitated to the ceiling to hide her at one point. Carl Ballantine also makes an appearance in that one...I remember his magic on the McHale's Navy TV show, too.

And although not a theatrically released film, Doug Henning filmed a version of "The Magic Show" after the show closed on Broadway. The illusions from the show are there (most of them) and some of his later work was substituted for the others. Just to have his wonderful work archived on DVD is great. It's got a special spot in my collection.

A film that SHOULD feature some magic is "Smoke & Mirrors," a project that has been in production since 2001 but is still on hold. It's based on the life of Robert Houdin and stars Michael Douglas as Houdin and Catherine Zeta-Jones as his wife, Collette.

There's also a rumor of a film called "The Magician's Wife" starring Geoffrey Rush...but only a rumor.

Dan Wolfe, aka. "The Amazing EARL"
[quote]
On 2004-04-20 17:37, Reis O'Brien wrote:
I think there was some magic in the Harry Potter movies.
[/quote]

argh! I was scrolling down this thread hoping no-one had said that - I wanted to be the good guy this time! il win next time mr Reis

-Francisco
[quote]
On 2004-10-08 23:20, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
"The Defenders" had a segment in which a magician dies via an underwater escape stunt. As a spoiler: the investigators conclude it was a high-profile suicide.

"Columbo" once had a segment where he matched wits with a murderer/magician, played by Jack Cassidy.

In 1972 there was a TV movie (unsold series pilot) called "Escape," which starred Christopher George as an escape artist named Cammeron Steele. It was sort of a specialized precursor to Bill Bixby's series "The Magician."
[/quote]

I saw that pilot. Even as a kid, I had to wonder why the gangsters thought tying up the world's greatest escape artist, upside down in a strait jacket would have any real effect!
[quote]
On 2004-10-09 11:38, AmazingEARL wrote:
"Waiting for the Light" features Shirley Maclaine as a birthday party Magicienne...presenting a classic sawing in half, but complete with blood a'la Richiardi. Needless to say, the kids freaked.
[/quote]

You reminded me of "Two On A Guillotine" where Connie Stevens plays the daughter of a magician who inherits his house when he's declared dead after having gone insane at the "mysterious" death of his wife during their act.
[quote]

Didn't River Phoenix vanish from a box at the beginning of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?"
[/quote]
Yes. There was a "magician's caboose" at the end of the circus train sequence.

[quote]
"Ghostbusters" used an Aga Levitation to raise Sigourney Weaver off the bed.
[/quote]

I always wondered exactly how they did that. It didn't look like your average "special effect."
[quote]
"Just You and Me, Kid" features George Burns as a retired Vaudeville magician, if memory serves. I seem to recall Brooke Shields being levitated to the ceiling to hide her at one point. Carl Ballantine also makes an appearance in that one...I remember his magic on the McHale's Navy TV show, too.
[/quote]
He (Ballatine) also appeared on Harry Anderson's "Night Court" as a desreputable magician who'd been Harry's idol in his youth.

[quote]
And although not a theatrically released film, Doug Henning filmed a version of "The Magic Show" after the show closed on Broadway. The illusions from the show are there (most of them) and some of his later work was substituted for the others. Just to have his wonderful work archived on DVD is great. It's got a special spot in my collection.
[/quote]

Yes! Although their changing of the plot to remove the "revenge" angles and the dropping of various songs, replacing them with songs with a "magic" theme seriously cheesed me off!
[quote]

A film that SHOULD feature some magic is "Smoke & Mirrors," a project that has been in production since 2001 but is still on hold. It's based on the life of Robert Houdin and stars Michael Douglas as Houdin and Catherine Zeta-Jones as his wife, Collette.

There's also a rumor of a film called "The Magician's Wife" starring Geoffrey Rush...but only a rumor.
[/quote]

Is it Geoffrey Rush now? I'd heard Sean Connery was interested in that script which deals with Houdin's trip to Afghanistan to help quell the revolt. (Fictious names and events of course and the magician doesn't come out very well in the original book.)
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Oct 10, 2004 06:28PM)
"Even as a kid, I had to wonder why the gangsters thought tying up the world's greatest escape artist, upside down in a strait jacket would have any real effect!"

You got that right, Mandrake. A bullet to the brain would have been much more reliable.

As one movie critic said about the Bruce Lee kung fu movies: "Why don't they just SHOOT the little blighter?!?"

Steve
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Oct 10, 2004 06:32PM)
Ah, yes..."Two on a Guillotine;" Caesar Romero as the Great Duquesne. I've seen that on TV a couple times.
I have an old copy of "Famous Monsters of Filmland" with stills from the film.
I loved 'Duke's' house.

Steve
Just viewed Shade today and it's nothing but card-handling magic!!!
Caesar Romaro played the Great Randini in Charley Chan on Treasure Island. The villan was Dr. Zodiac.
There is a lot of magic in both versions of West of Zanzabar.
Of course there is the movie Magic.
There is a war time Roy Rogers movie where Roy operates a Thayer Dr.Q induction turbin for a sideshow mind reader.
Almost all Orson Wells later films contain some magic.
The Kay kisser,Bella Lagosi,Peter Lorre clasic You'll Find Out is suspiciouly to a Great Merlani plot, but I've never found any mention of Clayton Royson in any credits.
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Oct 12, 2004 10:21AM)
And then you have David Bamberg (Fu Manchu) who made several mystery films, and Bela Lugosi as a magician in one of his films with the East Side Kids.

Steve
[quote]
On 2004-10-12 11:21, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
Bela Lugosi as a magician in one of his films with the East Side Kids.

[/quote]
Chandu, the Magician, wasn't it?
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Oct 12, 2004 06:43PM)
Hey...Chandu...that's another one!

Actually it was, I believe, "Spooks Run Wild," or it might have been "Ghosts on the Loose" (released in the UK as "Ghosts in the Night"). In one of them Lugosi played a magician (maybe in both; I don't recall for sure).

Steve
Another addition to the list...

In "Shakes the Clown" (hailed as the 'Citizen Kane of alcoholic clown movies'), Bobcat Goldthwait does a birthday party and is shown presenting the Magic Coloring Book and Strat-O-Spheres.

Dan Wolfe, aka. "The Amazing EARL"
[quote]
On 2004-10-07 09:52, drwilson wrote:
I can't believe no one has cited "Penn and Teller Get Killed." There is a lot of magic in this film. Some of the best is when Penn says to Teller, "Show them why we hate magic," and Teller puts on this fey smile and starts mincing around producing silks.

Yours,

Paul
[/quote]
Ahh... and the ball bearing trick in the airport is delicious!

Steve Martin does a couple magic bits in "Leap of Faith", and *gasp* mentions doing cold reading. LOVE that film!
How about the movie "Dave"?

Kevin Klein, acting as the president of the united states, pulls a quarter out of a child's ear.
Julia Misbehaving,Cesar Romero again,
[quote]
Johnny Depp does a coin roll in Pirates of the Caribbean.
[/quote]

No, he cheated, it was just animation.

It's not a movie, but there's a P.G. Wodehouse play that was made into a video. One of the main characters is a magician, it's pretty funny.
[quote]
On 2004-10-19 00:46, redstreak wrote:
[quote]
Johnny Depp does a coin roll in Pirates of the Caribbean.
[/quote]

[quote]
No, he cheated, it was just animation.

It's not a movie, but there's a P.G. Wodehouse play that was made into a video. One of the main characters is a magician, it's pretty funny.
[/quote]

There was "Real Genius" where Val Kilmer has lines while doing two coins rolls, one in each hand! I hate him.
Can't believe no-one has mentioned this great film yet:

"as good as it gets"
One of the best films from the last years I think

The woman (Helen Hunt?) has a date one evening and the guy vanishes a cigarette. Looks pretty cool.
[quote]
On 2004-10-19 06:22, mandrake01 wrote:
...There was "Real Genius" where Val Kilmer has lines while doing two coins rolls, one in each hand! I hate him.
[/quote]

Doesn't Kilmer do some coin rolls in "Tombstone", too?
Call me a dork, but I do remember the movie "Saving Silverman" having magic in it. It's kinda at the begining where the dude from american pie hits on the snobby chick and gets rejected.

And Val Kilmer does do a very good coin roll in Tombstone!!!

Pants
[quote]
On 2004-10-20 15:10, Laughing Otter wrote:
[quote]
On 2004-10-19 06:22, mandrake01 wrote:
...There was "Real Genius" where Val Kilmer has lines while doing two coins rolls, one in each hand! I hate him.
[/quote]

Doesn't Kilmer do some coin rolls in "Tombstone", too?
[/quote]

Never saw "Tombstone." "Real Genius" and "Batman Forever" were about as much Val Kilmer as I could take.
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Oct 21, 2004 05:22PM)
A magician (as a 'hand double' for Jim Backus) does a coin roll in "Man of a Thousand Faces" (1957).

Steve
[quote]
On 2004-10-21 18:22, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
A magician (as a 'hand double' for Jim Backus) does a coin roll in "Man of a Thousand Faces" (1957).

Steve
[/quote]

I'd forgotten about that! Now THAT was a cool movie! (About as accurate as any "bio" film, but a lot of fun to watch!)
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Oct 22, 2004 05:51PM)
It's a favorite of mine, too. I'm a big fan of the films of Lon Chaney Sr. He and I were both born on April Fools Day.

Steve
Not a movie but as I used to love "the brady bunch" Peter was doing magic in one episode, Linking rings, passe bottles and a milk trick of some kind... also a large vanishing cabinet..

Jeff
In a similar vein, there were episodes with magic on the Munsters, Leave it to Beaver, Matlock, and 7th Heaven. Kirstie Alley played a magicienne on an episode of, (I think) 'The Hitcher'.

Sid Caesar played an old magician who finds a magic deck of cards, from a series called, Amazing Stories.

For movies, there is a kid actor in Stepmom that is a magician. At least one Three Stooges short has a magician, another a hypnotist (Svengarlic).

I have clips from at least one other film that has Dante in it, but I don't know the title of it.

Crimson Tide has a magician, and while I was verifying that, Lookie here kiddies, at what I found!!!

http://www.repromagic.co.uk/resource/movie1.html
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Oct 25, 2004 04:44AM)
Bewitched had four 'magic' segments:

1) Samantha helps a down-and-out magician.
2) She conjures a 'magician's trunk' to explain the weird things someone witnessed in her house.
3) Uncle Arthur does a birthday party 'magic show' using witchcraft, and accidentally turns a rabbit into Carol Wayne in a Playboy bunny outfit ("No, I said a 'cottontail bunny,' not a 'cocktail bunny'!")
4) Esmerelda tries something similar, with disastrous results. (Note: if you caught it, that segment revealed the squared circle)

Steve
[quote]
On 2004-10-22 18:51, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
It's a favorite of mine, too. I'm a big fan of the films of Lon Chaney Sr. He and I were both born on April Fools Day.

Steve
[/quote]

I've only ever seen "The Phantom of the Opera" which was on tape without its score. Do you have any idea how boring an actual silent movie is? We ended up putting on a Mozart CD to try and add something to the background... it was hardly "Dark Side of the Rainbow" but occasionally the music would match the mood!
[quote]
On 2004-10-24 22:44, nums wrote:
Not a movie but as I used to love "the brady bunch" Peter was doing magic in one episode, Linking rings, passe bottles and a milk trick of some kind... also a large vanishing cabinet..

Jeff
[/quote]

I remember that one, the plot was that Cindy was afraid of magicians, so they thought by making her a magician's assistant, she would get over it. (It's a sign of the times that we didn't wonder why they just didn't teach her some tricks and let HER be the magician!)
[quote]
On 2004-10-22 18:51, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:

Steve
[/quote]

All I get is Mickey Mouse!
I heard those Michael Ammar Easy To Master videos have some sort of magic in them.

And the Simpson's has had magic in the episode where Bart and Homer con they're way to fixing their car.

And if anyone remembers that one show where a kid was the apprentice of an actor on comedy central or something. The kid that was learning how to be famous was a magician and performed stuff every once in a while. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the show or the actor that starred in it.

And on a side note the "dude you're getting a dell" guy is a magician as is someone from the Sandlot, I forget who though.
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Oct 30, 2004 12:48PM)
I've got a copy of Phantom with the tinted scenes and the two-tone technicolor Mad Ball sequence restored.

I also have a copy of Hunchback, both versions of Unholy Three (silent and sound; Chaney's natural voice had a distinct 'gangster' flavor to it, like George Raft's), and TCM's "London After Midnight - the Stills Edition" (a version of the lost classic, using promotion stills to tell the story).

I have also seen "The Unknown."

My collection 'gem,' though, is a non-Chaney film that was originally intended for Chaney: "The Man Who Laughs" with Conrad Veidt and Mary Philbin, complete with the pre-talkies music, sound effect and stray voice soundtrack.

Fun stuff.

I agree that silents NEED music. In order to watch my totally soundless video of Nosferatu (1922), I have to either put on Bach organ music, or Midnight Syndicate.

Steve
I saw a movie on this morning called "Haunted Honeymoon" starring Gene Wilder. There was a scene where a mysterious man comes to the door of this mansion. He performed a dancing cane bit. Very cool to see. :)
A television episode of CSI (original... not CSI Mayberry or any other) 2nd or 3rd season has a stage magician that also does a coin vanish to glitter
etc
I don't think I saw it on here but an episode of X-files Had ricky jay kill himself the whole show was pretty much all about illusions. great episode.
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Dec 11, 2004 09:07AM)
Some of the TV 'mystery movie' type shows included "magician as villain."

One (a MacMillan & Wife episode?) had a magician kidnapping a woman he was obsessed with.

Another show had a jealous, middle-aged magician rigging an illusion to 'accidentally' electrocute the latest 'pop idol' illusionist, "Oliver Twist" (who looked like Joe Albado [sp] from the second unit of Henning's "The Magic Show").

Also, a Lovecraftian Night Gallery segment had a bunch of disgruntled magi at the reading of a famous magician's will crabbing because the legendary magus had apparently taken his best secrets to the grave with him. A curious, younger magician in the fraternity probed further, finding that the illusionists best effects were accomplished by real, Cthulian magick!

Steve
I'm sure Harry potter has already been mentioned but I watched the latest harry potter DVD the other day. A magic prop was used in taht movie that you might have over looked because the camera didn't really focus on it. It was a scene where harry was going into a saloon wearing his invisible cloak. A guy was sitting at the table readong a book and did the multiplying candles (the hinge type). It only lasted amoment though.

Also, on the bonus DVD you can watch the scenes that they didn't use in the movie. They showed a bunch of kids using magic props. Quite a few of them where using the old dancing hank (Very old method with wire). A couple of kids did the appearing 10 foot straw.

I just happened to see this recently so I thought I'd ad it to the discussion. I have to wait till movies come outn on video/DVD to enjoy them because there's no Closed Caption on theaters.

Ron Jaxon
I am surprised nobody has mentioned the movie Casino Royale. It has an Asarah levitation performed by Orson Wells.

Julia Roberts does some nice sleight of hand in the movie "I Love Trouble." I was actually in the background in one of the scenes in the movie. Scene was filmed in downtown Chicago the day after I graduated from Navy boot camp. Right near the beginning of the movie when Nick Nolte is in a red convertable.
Has anybody mentioned Tom Cruise backpalming and producing the disk in Mission: Impossible?

I was about 6 or seven when I first saw that and it just floored me.
Didn't read thru the thread (sorry!) but how about the Cagney movie about Lon Chaney, Sr., "Man of A Thousand Faces"? Near the beginning of the movie we see Jim Backus (I think it was him) doing a coin roll.

More of a flourish than magic, but that's what I remember most about the movie - except for Chaney's ridiculous looking Phantom make-up.

Mark
A few more I can think of:

"Cousins" starring Ted Danson has John Paterson doing some illusions and magic at a party (I think a wedding reception). The pink sawing in half is a must see! I also think that Shawn Farquhar was a magic consultant for this film.

"The Fly II" has some slight of hand in it. Again, Shawn was the magic consultant for this film.

"Spooky House", starring Ben Kingsley, which Shawn also sells through his website, to put his daughter through university. ;)

I think that Shawn Farquhar has also been magic consultant on many other films, and for some, he remains un-credited (but fully paid! :) ).

You know you've made it big, when you are listed on the Internet Media Database! (hehehe!): [url=http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0267977/]Shawn Farquhar on IMDb.[/url]

- Donald

P.S. "Boys will be Boys", with the DeLuise family in it, has Bob Markwood doing some magic at a pool party. (BTW, I didn't drop his name to cause a problem... so the fact that I mention him offends you, I apologize in advance.) Dom DeLuise descibed what happens in the scene to us at an event, a couple of years before the movie was released.
Went through the thread. Thought of a couple of others.

Airplane - While examining the sick woman, Leslie Neilsen does a stiff egg from the mouth bit.

Rio Bravo - (John Wayne did three "Rio" films, if I got the title wrong, I'm thinking of the one with Ricky Nelson and Dean Martin.) The gambler "Feathers" is showing the bartender a color change with the deck of cards. It's obvious that someone is feeding her the cards under the table and her hands are very stiff during the exchange. The bartender says; "How did you do that?" and a'la MST3K, I had to respond; "Very badly!"

Nashville - This is Jeff Goldblum's first film. He plays a drifter with no lines (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I've only seen the film once.) who does a salt pour at a diner.