(Close Window)
Topic: Keeping lid on coin bx
This may seem like an odd question. I have a Boston box and like to carry it around in my pocket for impromptu tricks. I keep the coins in it and the lid on. The problem is it opens up in my pocket and the lid and coins go all over. When I pull it out for a trick, it's very distracting. I solved this by putting a rubber band around it, which did the job, but looks tacky. I had to wrap it around several times. So I tried to get a small diameter band that was also wide enough. The coins have some weight to them and you need the width for strength. I could not find the right size band. I ended up using a larger one and tying a knot in it, then cutting off the extra. Any one have a similar experience?
Would a rubber Gasket ring work. Or a leather strip with a press stud.
Maybe cut down a card box to hold the Okito/Boston Box. It shouldn't be too much of a problem to remove the coin box from the open top card box inside your pocket. I imagine the cut-down open top card box to be only about 1 1/2 inches tall.

Julie
Thanks for the replies. They are good ideas. The cut rubber band seems to be working for now. My wife suggested using the small bands they sometimes out n broccoli. So I guess I'll have to get some broccoli.
Carry the box in a coin purse. Bringing the purse out of your pocket and then the box out of the purse would make a nice set-up for the magic.
The coin purse is a good idea. You can also try a small drawstring felt bag.
Maybe you don't care but ... this isn't sounding very "impromptu" to me.
The method I use is simple. I have a strip of scrap cotton cloth about 1/2" x 4". I lay the cloth on top of the base, push the coins into the box, and push the lid onto the box. The box gently jams into a solid unit. The coins don't rattle, and the lid stays on.

Keith
[quote]On Feb 10, 2018, KeithP wrote:
The method I use is simple. I have a strip of scrap cotton cloth about 1/2" x 4". I lay the cloth on top of the base, push the coins into the box, and push the lid onto the box. The box gently jams into a solid unit. The coins don't rattle, and the lid stays on. Keith [/quote]

Good idea. What do you do with the cloth during your performance?
[quote]On Feb 13, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
[quote]On Feb 10, 2018, KeithP wrote:
The method I use is simple. I have a strip of scrap cotton cloth about 1/2" x 4". I lay the cloth on top of the base, push the coins into the box, and push the lid onto the box. The box gently jams into a solid unit. The coins don't rattle, and the lid stays on. Keith [/quote]

Good idea. What do you do with the cloth during your performance? [/quote]

Normally as I approach the performance, I pull on one end of the cloth while holding the box in hand. The jam comes apart, the cloth slips through, and I put the cloth and loaded box in my pocket. At the end of the routine, I let the audience watch me lay the cloth in the box, push the coins in, lid the box, and put it in my pocket.
I thought you might use the cloth to clean and or polish the box. Thanks for answering :)
Small drawstring Bag can serve the same purpose as a coin purse.
If you are wearing jeans, why not put the loaded box in the watch pocket?
I carry my Scotch & Soda in a small, velvet drawstring bag (I have used leather as well). Removing it from the bag gives me the chance to say my opening lines, introducing the half dollar and ring. Once I make the 10 cash coin appear, then vanish, I find the missing coin in the bag.

Bags such as these are easy to make to the proper size. They also sell them online for not much money. I recommend using the type of bag with two draw strings. It makes the bag easier to open and close.