(Close Window)
Topic: Snowstorm song
I am bored with my snowstorm routine. So I am going to re-choreograph it. Does anyone know any good songs for doing Snowstorm in china??
Wow - Unlimited choices, I suppose.

What is your goal? Emotional, slow, upbeat, angry?

Picking a song is so personal, it's tough to just offer one up for you without knowing where you want to take it.

Don't forget you could do it with no music as well, depending again on your goal.

--- Guy
Upbeat, yet I want it to sound Asian and authentic. Im just having a little truble finding one. Any suggestions would be great.
You do know, of course, that it doesn't have to be "Asian", right?

Although it is marketed as the Snowstorm in China, you don't need to limit yourself to an Oriental presentation.

Alas, I don't know much in the way of Asian music, so I don't think I can help in your quest.

Good luck, though.

For reference, a few years back, I performed an "over the top" Snowstorm, absolutely filling the stage (I think I went through a dozen snowstorm loads) to the Bangles remake of "Hazy Shade of Winter." It had just the right musical punctuation I was looking for at the time.

--- Guy
I am aware. I just want it authentic because I am using paper cranes and other parafanalia. Its just my taste. Any suggestions would be great. I also like techno.
There is a Japanese Jazz group that recorded a lot of fantastic music. They are called Hiroshima. You could also check into Video Game Soundtracks, like the Final Fantasy series. They always have a female Asian artist singing a techno-pop type song either at the Opening or Ending sequence (And sometimes Both). Some of those songs are very melodic and would work well with what you might have in mind. Hope this gives you a place to start.
Sorry - I guess it's my interpretation of "authentic." That's my issue, not yours :)

The best I can do from my minimal Oriental experience is to suggest doing some net searches for some classic tunes, and if there are Asian music charts, find some tunes that spent a ton of time on those charts; you'll likely find something with the musical tempo and pops you want.

I imagine there is an Asian techno scene as well; it's worth a shot to Google around, find a message board on Asian techno, and ask for recommendations on classics of the genre.

Good luck.

--- Guy

PremiataForneria -

That is a GREAT idea. And yes, Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and X had incredible soundtracks.

And, some members of the audience will instantly recognize your music.

Brilliant!

--- Guy
A long time ago, I did a Chinese act. This was before political correctness became a way of life. So I decided to find some authentic Chinese music for the show. The selection was quite limited, and none of the things I found had the kind of feel I wanted.

Then I remembered a recording I had of Koto player named Kimio Eto. Koto is a Japanese instrument, but I figured, what the hey! Who will know? Right?

The music was pleasant, had a nice beat in certain spots, and fit what I was doing perfectly.

So I debuted the act one Friday night. The manager of the club came up afterwards and said, "I LOVE the new material. Just one thing. That music isn't Chinese, is it? It sounds just like this fellow I knew in Okinawa when I was in the Air Force. His name is Kimio Eto."

BUSTED!!!!

The interesting thing was the he didn't want me to change the music.
It is interesting how we get attached to associations with the names that are given to certain tricks such as Snowstorm in China .

Who's to say the snowstorm has to be in China ? Or Japan or any Asian locale ? How about Manhattan Snowstorm or Snowstorm in Aspen ?

Music could be Winter Wonderland or I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas , to pick two very obvious examples ?
Did Native Americans who lived on the plains have special dances and chants for/during snow??? Carlos Nakai may know.
Nice thought Chmara

Can anyone suggest a good soundtrack for the snowanimator? an instrumental piece which is slow moving. I do 3 loads so I am looking for music that builds to a cresendo twice and then builds to a climax in the end.
Can someone help?
GuySavoie-- I just re-listened to a single from the Final Fantasy X game titled "Suteki De Na", sung by a Female Japanese vocalist called Rikki. It is a very melodic and moving piece of music. If you have the opportunity to ever hear this song, I think you will enjoy it. There is no mystery, Music is everywhere... even on Video Games.
I gave it another listen - it is indeed a great piece. Perhaps Magicfingerz will give it a try.

--- Guy
GuySavoie-- Oops!, My Bad! I lost track of whom asked the original question. However, I am glad you enjoyed the song.
Hiroshima.
Try the music "Allegria" By cirque du soleil.
Is is the PERFECT music to snowstorm.
Try something that doesn't violate someone else's copyright!

You can find a royalty-free version of the Nutcracker Ballet (not the suite!). There is really great snow music at the end of act I and a Chinese dance in Act II. I personally don't use these (I use a non-melodic light ambient track that sounds vaguely asian and suggests snowfall).

BTW--the Arabian dance from Act II is a great background for a flying carpet suspension (although, again, I use something else).

Ed
I saw a snowstorm routine using music from "Edward Scissorhands". Very neat!
One of the Olympics sound tracks and I don't know which year but it works well. I recorded it but don't know the artist or the year. I am on the look out for it myself as it also works well for a levitation.
I use Robert Miles "Children"

Check it out. I think it's perfect. I close with the effect and let the music keep playing.

Let me know what you think.
Magicfingerz,

I just bought a new cd called "12 Girls Band". I'm not sure about the nationality of these girls but they are Asians. Also, try the 4 female group called "BOND".

But then again, royalty free music comes in.

Hope this helps.

Sal Amangka
Message: Posted by: Jessie Altamirano (Jul 15, 2004 11:47PM)
I use "What A Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong for my Snowstorm routine. Instead of water and paper I use a white rose and just pluck off a few pedals to start the snowstorm. I always start my act with this effect. And when I have the right lighting condition I end my act with a D'Lite routine to "The Music of the Night" from the "Phantom of the Opera." At the end of the routine I wave my hand and change the red light into a cloud of red confediti. I mostly perform at parties in homes and backyards and no one has ever complained.
One Wish by Hiroshima, check it out, very nice fusion Jazz.
Good Call Fred!

I also highly reccomend Robert Miles "Children"
There are also some very nice remixes of the song out there.
He has 2 CD's out: Dreamland and 23am
Dreamland has A LOT of awesome pieces for magic...and very worth checking out.

Reza
http://www.magicreza.com
[quote]
On 2004-05-19 21:38, Amazing Binky wrote:
I saw a snowstorm routine using music from "Edward Scissorhands". Very neat!
[/quote]

Yes Kevin James use this song and it works great. However I would suggest to be original and find another one than this one. Leave it to Kevin.
As for me, I use a song from a soundtrack movie and it work great (want to keep it for myself...sorry). Cirque du soleil is a good choice, however, I would suggest to find another one than Allegria...too much known. I was about to use the last song from Saltimbanco's cd I think it is called "rideau". If you are good in sound editing you can get a very good upbeat song beginning with just piano and than drum and electric guitar.

Good luck

Johnny
[quote]
On 2004-04-14 16:27, Magicfingerz wrote:
Upbeat, yet I want it to sound Asian and authentic. Im just having a little truble finding one. Any suggestions would be great.
[/quote]

Although this is an old post, I am going to respond to it.

If you are seeking music, and are willing to pay the royalty fees (BMI, ASCAP), can I make a suggestion?

Look for some instumental songs by Kerry Livgren. He used to be a member of the rock group Kansas, and later started a Christian rock group called AD. He also has many solo projects.

One ablum that had some great instrumental songs was titled: "One of several possible musiks".

I obtained my super-X suspension music from this ablum, and there is also some upbeat music with an asian flair on this ablum.

Here is a link to Kerry's official website: http://www.numavox.com

- Donald.