(Close Window)
Topic: Which are the must have Penguin Live Lecture's ?
I'm looking for some more penguin live lectures to add to my collection and wondered what you guys recommend ?

To give you some back ground my main interest is in close up magic ie not just cards and I suppose I could do with adding a few things that play a little larger, I'm not really into mentalism with the exception being bank night and possibly 7 keys type effects oh and spiked type effects such as smash and stab etc

So far I have following penguin live lectures

John Carey
Gary Jones
Carl Andrews
Danny Archer
Daryl
Eric Jones
Daniel Garcia
Etienne Pradier

Thanks in advance for any replies
I enjoyed the Alan Rorrison lecture. http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3281
This has received some pretty good reviews. :)
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7089
Thanks for the suggestions although the Alan Rorrison looked good I was put off after reading the reviews that said you needed pdf's etc and other gimmicks in order to perform some of the effects.

TC Tahoe LIVE did look tempting though :)
Hi Warren

Hard to pick out 'the best' for normal close up which is not just cards, but I would recommend in no particular order:
David Williamson (c'mon, 4 hours or so of DW..!)
Nick Einhorn (real world workable stuff)
TC Tahoe (its true - some real good stuff here)
Mark James (entertaining takes on classic effects)
Paul Green (his DVD was called 'in the trenches' for a reason..)
Alberto de Figuieredo (not all close up, but a great chop dice effect plus more..)
Pop Haydn (do you really need more than the name..)
Lonnie Chevrie (gypsy floss, bill effects and more)
Mike Eaton - lots of coin & close up)
Tom Stone (making magic better..)
John Carney (making magic better..)

Was that 5? Should I stop?
:-)
Thanks for the list, there's definitely a few there that I wouldn't mind adding to my collection, from what I read in the reviews it sounds like Mike Eaton did a great job but Nate Kranzo spoilt it a bit by constantly interrupting where as Dan Harlan does an amazing job as host :)
Still my top two favorite:

Juan Tamariz
David Williamson
Steve Valentine
The David Williamson lecture has a massive amount of close up work in it. If you are looking to get into coin work, Kainoa Harbottle's lecture was really good.
Marc DeSouza LIVE and Mark Leveridge LIVE
The one's I got the most from where:

Mark Elsdon 1 and 2
Looch 1 and 2
Peter Turner 1 and 2
Colin McLeod
John Bannon

Many more I am yet to watch but those one's really stood out to me :)
[quote]On Dec 19, 2017, SiCaff wrote:
The one's I got the most from where:

Mark Elsdon 1 and 2
Looch 1 and 2
Peter Turner 1 and 2
Colin McLeod
John Bannon

Many more I am yet to watch but those one's really stood out to me :) [/quote]

Haha thanks for the input but if your read what I put at the beginning I'm not into mentalism as great as it is it doesn't suit my style at all but thanks for your time :)
Harry Anderson
Rudy Coby

Two great lectures on creating a character and building a show.
I enjoyed and got a lot out of Geoff Williams.
And, you can't go wrong with David Williamson. Pure entertainment.
Also enjoyed David Regal.
I've purchased quite a few Penguin Live lectures (though there are lots more I haven't watched)... but I keep coming back to David Regal and the Joshua Jay lectures as my favourites. Both Lecture 1 and 2 for each of these guys is great. They are not only knowledgeable but also come across as really nice guys - which makes it even more enjoyable to hear their teaching.
Thanks for the suggestions please keep them coming, as a result I've now got both the David Williamson lecture and the Michael Kaminskas lecture and both are excellent :)
Juan Tamariz, David Williamson, Woody Aragon, Pop Haydn, Dani DaOrtiz.
All of them are great.
I would say that there have been over 400 penguin live lectures to date. I stopped my monthly subscription in 2014, the Australian dollar dipped really low to the US dollar and made it too expensive for me to pay for it monthly and justify that to the wife!

With so much variety, differing approaches to magic, skill level, differing interests (close- up, coins, cards, stage, kids magic, mentalism etc), performer preference; one person's must have list is gonna be an after thought on someone else's list.

In say that, these are some of my favorite that I have viewed repeatedly multiple times and I'll give you a reason why for each:-

Tom Stone - he gives a master class on misdirection and why its works and how to apply it to make your magic more deceiving
Michael Eaton - clearly a solid and experienced close up worker. he coin effects that he performs were fantastic. His lecture convinced me to buy his pretty fly seperately
Richard Osterlind - Like Bob below, just super solid tried and tested (over numerous years) material. amazing value for money both lectures plus the one he did with Bob - great back and forth discussion between these two legends
BoB Cassidy - name and place, forth dimensional telepathyThree Envelop Test plus at least 2 hours of solid interview and discussion
Jay Scott Berry - great stage material using devious in the hands gimmicks and subtleties as well as topit work. His work on the sanada gimmick is 'revolutionary'
Dani DaOrtiz - buy all 3 of his penguin lectures. amazing to watch
Chris Philpott - really enjoyed his scripting and presentation of effects. He is a screenplay writer after all. Inspired me to purchase all of his 100th monkey principle related effects
Morgan and West - they highlight how much mis direction can be applied by having two magicians on stage. There two card signed transposition was a perfect exampleof it and worth the price of the lecture
Jan Forster - really devious methods, adds layer upon layer to fool you. I have been doing memdeck work for over 15 years and his effect on here fooled me badly, even on repeat viewing and even when I know the method I get fooled
Chris Randall - His bill in lemon is worth price of lecture. His honest discussion about his approach to busking was very insightful as well as a very honest discussion about his inner struggles and working on the vegas strip
Scott Alexander - All 5 lectures thus far have been fun,entertaining, with loads of little gigs, bits of business, worker tips and great routines
shawn farquhar - his deck switch and dvd/cd magic was worth price of lecture

There are many many more highlights and lecture honorable mentions include:- Dan Harlan , Colin Mcleod, Danny Orleans, Silly Billy, Bill Malone, David Williamson, John Guastaferro, OZ Pearlman, Marcelo Insua, John Lovick, Nick Einhorn ,Tom Mullica, Alain Nu

Its not always just about learning tricks (we all have enough material on our arsenal and magic drawer). But if you can get 1 thing from a lecture then it is worth the money you paid to watch it
Thanks for your input I have been thinking about getting the Michael Eaton lecture as that one did appeal when I came across it, as you say we all have different needs and opinions for example I have seen Chris Randall lecture live and found it to be one of the most boring lectures I had ever been to and virtually every other magician at that lecture thought the same, in fact I was warned beforehand how bad it was by another magician friend that had saw his lecture a week earlier. He was drinking strong alcohol through out which I didn't think was very professional and spent an eternity on the hover card and his big tip on bill in lemon wasn't really revolutionary but as you quite rightly say we all have different expectations.
[quote]On Jan 13, 2018, warren wrote:
Thanks for your input I have been thinking about getting the Michael Eaton lecture as that one did appeal when I came across it, as you say we all have different needs and opinions for example I have seen Chris Randall lecture live and found it to be one of the most boring lectures I had ever been to and virtually every other magician at that lecture thought the same, in fact I was warned beforehand how bad it was by another magician friend that had saw his lecture a week earlier. He was drinking strong alcohol through out which I didn't think was very professional and spent an eternity on the hover card and his big tip on bill in lemon wasn't really revolutionary but as you quite rightly say we all have different expectations. [/quote]

Hi Warren,

I wasn't too well read on Bill in Lemon methods so his additional via the use of the sharpie I thought was great. Not great to hear about his personal issues. I hope that it doesn't affect him in the long term.

Aside from the Penguin lectures, have you jumped on afew of the " At the table" lectures? ALot of the performers have done both Penguin and At the table and there is often a lot of overlap of material between the two for the same performer. Price point is good cause you pick up a AT the Table lecture for like $7.95 USD as opposed to the $29.95 USD for penguin lectures. I haven't seen too many of these, but I enjoyed Jason Ladanye and the Josh Jay Lectures. They have been highlighting many UK based performers the last few months. I have subscribed since the start of last year, but I haven't had a lot of time to see them.
Hey baobow, Yes I had thought about the At The Table Lectures but the Penguin ones seem better value as they are quite a bit longer, I have the Chris Congreave one but was considering the Jason Ladanye lecture so perhaps its worth my while having another look at them....Thanks for the input :)
Kevin James is a must have... he fully teaches floating rose, card in baloon and perrier with a twist plus ALOT more from close up to stage illusions.
[quote]On Jan 16, 2018, thomasR wrote:
Kevin James is a must have... he fully teaches floating rose, card in baloon and perrier with a twist plus ALOT more from close up to stage illusions. [/quote]

Whilst Kevin is an excellent magician there's not enough to interest me on his Penguin lecture as more than 2 thirds of the lecture is geared towards stage magic where as I'm a close up performer but thanks for your input.
Afew extra thoughts regarding penguin lectures for you on this thread Warren

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=553328&forum=159
[quote]On Jan 29, 2018, baobow wrote:
Afew extra thoughts regarding penguin lectures for you on this thread Warren

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=553328&forum=159 [/quote]

Thanks much appreciated :)
Loved one of the latest from Penguin, [b]Vinny Marini LIVE[/b]. :)

The Godfather presents some wonderful closeup effects from his bold arsenal of tricks, PLUS his unique Coin Crimping technique. And his "Arlene The Psychic Elephant," is a wonder show piece. He's got it all in there, not to mention he's funny as heck. :) He really connects with people via some wonderful magic.

Highly Recommended!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/9421
I can't disagree with any of the mentions, I would however add Scott Alexander to the list. I love his energy and how he has fun with magic.
Greg Wilson
Peter Turner
Marc Spellmann
Pleasant surprises I had:
- Kevin James (real feeling of astonishment, remembered me why I started doing magic)
- Patrick Kuffs (great comedy magic, out of the box)
- Joe Barry (practical and refreshing card magic)
[quote]On Jan 18, 2018, warren wrote:
[quote]On Jan 16, 2018, thomasR wrote:
Kevin James is a must have... he fully teaches floating rose, card in baloon and perrier with a twist plus ALOT more from close up to stage illusions. [/quote]

Whilst Kevin is an excellent magician there's not enough to interest me on his Penguin lecture as more than 2 thirds of the lecture is geared towards stage magic where as I'm a close up performer but thanks for your input. [/quote]

Your loss. Perrier with a twist and floating Rose are 2 of the best close up routines ever invented.
Dani DaOrtiz
Dan Harlan
Oz
Looch.
Axel Hecklau
Nick Einhorn
Bruno Copin
Nick Einhorn (all around strong tricks)
David Williamson (hilarious)
Paul Gordon (solid card magic)

many other good ones but these 3 popped in my mind ..
I have the Williamson one and agree totally, as for Paul Gordon whilst I like and use some of his effects if you have any of Paul's dvds then there wouldn't be anything new as most of it he released many years ago.

I would be tempted with Nick Einhorns's lecture although from the reviews I read it's more of a dealer dem meaning that you need to purchase most of the items taught.
Will leave out the more known names like Williamson and Malone and Josh Jay which are great (and probably the ones I go back to the most)

Would agree above with Hecklau - thought it was great and made me want to find more by him
John George was another I enjoyed, not having been familiar with him much prior
[quote]On Nov 19, 2018, warren wrote:
I have the Williamson one and agree totally, as for Paul Gordon whilst I like and use some of his effects if you have any of Paul's dvds then there wouldn't be anything new as most of it he released many years ago.

I would be tempted with Nick Einhorns's lecture although from the reviews I read it's more of a dealer dem meaning that you need to purchase most of the items taught. [/quote]

I have a couple of Paul Gordon’s products and yes there is a huge overlap 😀 but I don’t regret the purchase of the lecture. I am doing a couple of Paul‘s tricks and I enjoy to see them in different situations as there are often little nuances which might improve your own performance of the trick.

As for Einhorns Lectures: Now that you mentioned it, ...I realized it ... there are quite a lot of tricks utilizing dealer items. But I never got such a good „trick I would love to use“ vs. „tricks for the shelf“ ratio. I basically liked every trick he did. And that is usually not the case if you are buying a lecture. He uses some well known principles and brings it to a higher level (Ring flight, Hidden Influence, Rainbow Deck,.......). I owned already a couple of the items he uses, but those are ranking among my favorite dealer items anyway (Nest of Wallets, Rainbow Deck, Ringflight, Black Tack 😃,..).I liked both , his at the table and Penguin Live lecture even though there is also quite an overlap.
[quote]On Nov 20, 2018, kebmo3108 wrote:

I have a couple of Paul Gordon’s products and yes there is a huge overlap 😀 but I don’t regret the purchase of the lecture. I am doing a couple of Paul‘s tricks and I enjoy to see them in different situations as there are often little nuances which might improve your own performance of the trick.

As for Einhorns Lectures: Now that you mentioned it, ...I realized it ... there are quite a lot of tricks utilizing dealer items. But I never got such a good „trick I would love to use“ vs. „tricks for the shelf“ ratio. I basically liked every trick he did. And that is usually not the case if you are buying a lecture. He uses some well known principles and brings it to a higher level (Ring flight, Hidden Influence, Rainbow Deck,.......). I owned already a couple of the items he uses, but those are ranking among my favorite dealer items anyway (Nest of Wallets, Rainbow Deck, Ringflight, Black Tack 😃,..).I liked both , his at the table and Penguin Live lecture even though there is also quite an overlap. [/quote]

I have both Nick's Nest of Wallets and Ringflight which both came with dvd's so think I'll hold back, they were good suggestions though so thanks for your contribution.
David Williamson
Howard Hamburg
Lennart Green
Rocco Solano
Eugene Burger
Kainoa Harbottle
Alberto de Figueiredo
Kiko Pastur
Aurelio Paviato
Let me add another vote for David Williamson. It’s 4 hours of non stop routines, helpful hints, insights, with great stories thrown into it all. I give it highest recommendation.
I would add three more to the list..

David Hira (disclosure: he's a personal friend of mine, that shouldn't discount the fact that his penguin live was amazing)
Michael Rubenstein (if you're into coins, both of his lectures are fantastic.)
John Bannon

mG
This year I'll go for both David Williamson (what an entertainer) and Michael Vincent.
Great tricks, a lot of insights and solid magic in both cases.

PS : Might as well add Etienne Pradier to the list.
[quote]On Jan 3, 2019, LucasMaillard wrote:
This year I'll go for both David Williamson (what an entertainer) and Michael Vincent.
Great tricks, a lot of insights and solid magic in both cases.

PS : Might as well add Etienne Pradier to the list. [/quote]

The David Williamson lecture is excellent and laugh out loud funny too :)
The man is just casually arriving on a bike to start his lecture as well as picking a guy at random from the street later on the show "only" to perform a trick to a layman. Enough said ahah.
Late onto this thread but the David Ben lecture gets my vote!
[quote]On Nov 17, 2017, Steven Leung wrote:
Still my top two favorite:

Juan Tamariz
David Williamson [/quote]

May I also add the combine lecture of Paul Vigil, Rick Maue, with the late Johnny Thompson. This seems to be the last video the late Johnny Thompson filmed during the Magic Live in 2018.
My favorite mentalism ones -

Oz Pearlman Live 1 and 2
Richard Osterlind Live 1 and 2
Atlas Brookings Live
Banachek Live
I'm loving this thread. A lot of amazing material has been covered in these lectures. I mainly watch them to experience a magic show from a pro and pick up some performance tips. Here are my favorites:

Dan Harlan
Marc Spellman
Wayne Houchin
Dan Sperry
Gregory Wilson
If you have an interest in trade shows and the business side of magic, you might want to have a look at this:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11620
Message: Posted by: teenagelabotomy42 (Apr 19, 2019 02:10AM)
Any or all of the Dani DaOrtiz ones.
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Jun 18, 2019 08:37PM)
I also have to say that Banachek was a great lecture. I also have chime in and say these lectures were great as well:

David Williamson
Colin MacLeod
David Roth
Curtis Kam
Both Osterlinds
The late great Eugene Burger
In a few days I'm sure David Stone can be added to the list.. a no-brainer pre-order for me
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Jul 5, 2019 04:18PM)
Now, are we including Penguin Live Acts as well? If so, add Drew Backentoss to the list. A great lecture.

Sorry if I misspelled your last name Drew!
Timon Krause!
Williamson
Vincent 1&2
Kopf
England
Cummins
Harlan 2
Houchin
[quote]On Jul 5, 2019, The Mysterious One wrote:
Now, are we including Penguin Live Acts as well? If so, add Drew Backentoss to the list. A great lecture.

Sorry if I misspelled your last name Drew! [/quote]

Some of the live acts are ok but they are no where near as good value for money as the older Penguin lectures.
My favorite Penguin live lecture is Darwin Ortiz:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3738

When I perform cardmagic I often do Mr Ortiz incredible effects.
His memorized stack innovations are truly superstrong.