(Close Window)
Topic: Kellar, front or back?
Hello lovely people,

I have a sort of silly question for y'all. I apologize for not searching for it, but not sure how to specifically look for this.
I have a terminology question about the Kellar rope tie.

I recently brushed off my kellar rope tie routine for some friends and family, and for a magic class that I taught. It's been so much fun I'm thinking that it should either be incorporated into my kid/family show, or at least as an encore.

In preparing for the class I thought I would look up some other performers routines and I noticed that while many of them did a very similar effect, they all seem to have their hands tied behind their back. I can do it that way of course, but I have always done it with both hands in front (wrists together and hands facing the same way) like the Siberian chain escape.

Anyways, sorry for the rambling, that's the question:
Is it still the Kellar rope tie if my hands are in the front and point the same direction?
If not, is there a different name for this?

Thanks so much! :)
Hands behind allows for certain gags in the routine. Example, tapping the volunteer on the shoulder, then showing him you are still tied up.
Yes, I agree, that's the most important part.

I do it with a handkerchief or jacket over my wrists, so I can do most of the same gags.
I keep taking my hand out, showing three fingers and explaining that I used to be able to do it in just three seconds, then have the knots re-examined because we haven't started. In the end I apologize, say I can't do the trick after all and just take the rope off and throw it in my bag.
I assume this is one of the standard variations right?
Back is Kellar.
The (very) late Karland Frischkorn of Norfolk, VA, did the KELLAR TIE, surrounded (or at least with people on the side).

He carried a short black velvet cape which was long enough to go about 4" below his belt line!