(Close Window)
Topic: The Trick That CAN Be Explained! by Mark Elsdon
Does anyone have this effect? It sounds sooooooooo good. Hope to see some reviews.

Effect:

The performer introduces a small envelope and shows that there is a playing card inside. He places it on the table and never touches it again.

A participant takes the deck out of the case and shuffles it. They then cut the deck and the top card is immediately turned over. It is, for example, the Seven of Spades. The deck is turned face-up and cleanly spread (on the table or in the hands) to show that there are no duplicates.

The participant opens the envelope and removes the card inside. It is a perfect match. There are NO other outs – the card in the envelope is always the card they choose.

Alternatively you can have a photo of the card posted on your Twitter feed or other social media, or you can message them at the beginning and they check the message at the end.

Works 100%, Fools 100%. Zero sleight-of-hand and zero memory work.
I am not so sure about the Fools 100%. As that depends on the audience.

But the rest of the stuff sounds like 95% of this type of effect. It's the how that is important.
Where can this be found?

Thanks

Alex
It was available at Blackpool.
I think the trick is called “No Way Two Way” and if it is, there’s another step in there. The spectator has to select a small packet of cards, counts those cards, and uses that number to select a card...
[quote]On Feb 28, 2018, Yepski wrote:
I think the trick is called “No Way Two Way” and if it is, there’s another step in there. The spectator has to select a small packet of cards, counts those cards, and uses that number to select a card... [/quote]

yes, the how.
That effect was on his first Penguin Lecture.
Hmmmmm heard this is different

anyone can chime in that saw this at Blackpool
I think the trick is called “No Way Two Way” and if it is, there’s another step in there. The spectator has to select a small packet of cards, counts those cards, and uses that number to select a card... [/quote]

I take it he left Blackpool with a full suitcase.
2 full suitcases... this isn’t amateur hour.
Mark sold out of most of his items, this one included. He has made a few more and then I don't think it will be available until the Summer.
[quote]On Feb 28, 2018, rowdymagi5 wrote:
That effect was on his first Penguin Lecture. [/quote]

Thanks for pointing that out. Will need to have a look.
[quote]On Feb 28, 2018, Magic KL wrote:
Does anyone have this effect? It sounds sooooooooo good. Hope to see some reviews.

Effect:

The performer introduces a small envelope and shows that there is a playing card inside. He places it on the table and never touches it again.

A participant takes the deck out of the case and shuffles it. They then cut the deck and the top card is immediately turned over. It is, for example, the Seven of Spades. The deck is turned face-up and cleanly spread (on the table or in the hands) to show that there are no duplicates.

The participant opens the envelope and removes the card inside. It is a perfect match. There are NO other outs – the card in the envelope is always the card they choose.

Alternatively you can have a photo of the card posted on your Twitter feed or other social media, or you can message them at the beginning and they check the message at the end.

Works 100%, Fools 100%. Zero sleight-of-hand and zero memory work. [/quote]

The effect you mention sounds like 21st Century Canasta by Mark Elsdon.

[youtube]_ckPljoC6_k[/youtube]

Graham
Yeah, talked to Mark this morning, he said there is no demo of this anywhere, and its a different effect.

I do see a lot of similarities in it being like 21st Century Canasta though, but coming from Mark, this sounds good.

I have a pretty good idea whats at play here, but the effects do have some similarities between them both.

Alex
It's finally available!

The performer introduces a small envelope and says that there is a playing card inside. He places the envelope on the table and never touches it again.

A participant takes the deck out of the box and shuffles it. Then they cut the deck and the top card is immediately turned over. It is, for example, the 7 of Spades. The deck is turned face-up and clearly spread to show that there are no duplicates.

The participant opens the envelope and removes the card inside. It is a perfect match - the 7 of Spades.

AND THERE ARE NO OTHER OUTS - the card in the envelope is ALWAYS the card they choose!

NO sleight-of-hand required. This literally is as easy as it gets!

Alternative endings: You can have a photo of the card posted on your Twitter feed, Instagram or other social media. Or you can WhatsApp or message them at the start and they check the message at the end.

More info:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=62435

Best regards,
Titanas
Ok, so it's the fact that the spectator can shuffle the deck that's the real selling point here? Otherwise one could achieve the same effect any number of ways, such as with a S******i d**k or something newer like Position Impossible. The spectator could at least cut the deck using those two methods though probably not shuffle. I've also read elsewhere that the selection is always the same with this one, so I don't know...
A s******i d**k can be riffle shuffled. (although spectators would probably notice something or screw it up)
Mark sold out of most of his items, this one included. He has made a few more and then I don't think it will be available until the Summer.

Most unlikely statement I have ever heard unless he had 2 physical units on him Gaz 🙂
It was sold out more than year ago and still no one real review!!??
It looks exactly like the 21st Century Canasta with the only difference that the prediction card is in an envelope instead photo in the phone.
The trailer looks terrific so if it’s true here should be hundreds comments and reviews during last year... but there is no even single one... hmmm
I find it strange too. It has been more than a year since I started this thread.
It was just released by Murphy's so it will probably get reviewed soon.

Looks like a s*d* c*t m*r*g* deck to me.
"the card in the envelope is always the card they choose."

Yes, BUT is it always the card that they CUT TO, or the card that "they choose"? The card in the envelope might be the only outcome but that doesn't mean that the procedure is always as clean as shown. I can't really comprehend how it could always be the card they directly cut to unless it uses a c***p in which case this would really suck and not work most of the time.

Can anyone please confirm?
It may very well be a soda cat morago deck... but I doubt it.

[quote]On Jul 10, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:

Looks like a s*d* c*t m*r*g* deck to me. [/quote]
[quote]On Jul 10, 2019, PatrickGregoire wrote:

Yes, BUT is it always the card that they CUT TO, or the card that "they choose"? The card in the envelope might be the only outcome but that doesn't mean that the procedure is always as clean as shown. I can't really comprehend how it could always be the card they directly cut to unless it uses a c***p in which case this would really suck and not work most of the time.

Can anyone please confirm? [/quote]

There are hints in the video that the deck is gimmicked. If it's what I think it is or similar (see above) then the procedure should be the same every time.

Soda Cat Morago Decks FTW

To paraphrase... “i am not sure how this works. Can someone please tell me?”
[quote]On Jul 10, 2019, oombob wrote:

To paraphrase... “i am not sure how this works. Can someone please tell me?” [/quote]

Big difference between "can someone please tell me how it works" and "is the procedure always the same or is the effect description wording misleading?".

"Can anyone please confirm" wasn't directed at asking if it uses a c***p, I was asking to confirm if the procedure is always as described.
[quote]On Jul 10, 2019, oombob wrote:

To paraphrase... “i am not sure how this works. Can someone please tell me?” [/quote]

Big difference between "can someone please tell me how it works" and "is the procedure always the same or is the effect description wording misleading?".

"Can anyone please confirm" wasn't directed at asking if it uses a c***p, I was asking to confirm if the procedure is always as described. [/quote]

Let me confirm. No c***ps... Soda Cat Marago deck.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jul 11, 2019 12:36AM)
Can anyone confirm the taste of the soda or that the cat gets along with small children? Or is that phishing?

No you are soooo wrong. Nothing is missed out 😀
[quote]On Jul 11, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Can anyone confirm the taste of the soda or that the cat gets along with small children? Or is that phishing? [/quote]

Grape soda. Cat... indifferent.
Actually, this new one has a choice of grape OR cola. Updated version.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jul 11, 2019 02:13AM)
Great to hear caffeine-challenged magicians are not excluded and an indifferent cat is included in this release. But let's not go any further, to avoid revealing the method. After all, this is the trick that CAN be explained.
I was under the misapprehension it was silly chimpanzee manoeuvre.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jul 11, 2019 02:44AM)
If that would have been the case, I would have been very upset. That is my signature move. It will be released shortly in a limited edition, containing a 1 sentence PDF-file, for $ 175,- .
But seriously, this can be done almost exactly like that with a 'moraga' deck. Only the spectators hand position would change.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jul 11, 2019 04:53AM)
Yep.
The question is, is the Soda Cat Marago deck in the box and out of the box at the same time?
[quote]On Jul 11, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
The question is, is the Soda Cat Marago deck in the box and out of the box at the same time? [/quote]

That would be the modified, limited edition Schrödinger's Soda Cat Marago deck.
So obviously it's the slit card box experiment. Multiple outs?
The real question is - why an effect which is advertised as a “complete sold out at Blackpool Magic Convention” an year ago still don’t have even one single review from a buyer...

Other important question is how this effect compared to the 21st Century Canasta by the same author which looks completely the same in the trailer videos (with the only difference in the way you show the card prediction- a photo in phone or card in envelope) which now is in sale for 6 usd...

And probably the most important- is the cut method sure enough (close to 100 percent success) or it is based on a method used for example in the 5221 effect which is not so ok when the spectator cuts...
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jul 11, 2019 06:26PM)
This is were you come in, Mark! :ohyes:
Soda cat...or even Top Cat model of that deck not needed...just an old fashion Popeye should work. But just buy it for the handling & routining that went into this project.
[quote]On Jul 11, 2019, hektormagic wrote:
The real question is - why an effect which is advertised as a “complete sold out at Blackpool Magic Convention” an year ago still don’t have even one single review from a buyer...

Other important question is how this effect compared to the 21st Century Canasta by the same author which looks completely the same in the trailer videos (with the only difference in the way you show the card prediction- a photo in phone or card in envelope) which now is in sale for 6 usd...

And probably the most important- is the cut method sure enough (close to 100 percent success) or it is based on a method used for example in the 5221 effect which is not so ok when the spectator cuts... [/quote]

Ad says it works 100%.
[quote]On Jul 11, 2019, RC4MAG wrote:
Soda cat...or even Top Cat model of that deck not needed...just an old fashion Popeye should work. But just buy it for the handling & routining that went into this project. [/quote]

I'm genuinely asking because I'm surprised, you can have a spectator shuffle a popeyed popper deck?
[quote]On Jul 11, 2019, RC4MAG wrote:
Soda cat...or even Top Cat model of that deck not needed...just an old fashion Popeye should work. But just buy it for the handling & routining that went into this project. [/quote]

This wouldn’t work at all. One of the provers for this effect is that you spread the cards slowly and ask them to make sure there are no other duplicate cards. If there lookclose at a deck of pop eyed poppers being spread game over.
No Svengali Deck, Mirage Deck or Pop Eyed Popper deck is used in this routine, but something else.
I have the trick. Its very clever and the outcome can change with each performance. However a little extra work would entail. Without giving away anything more, I believe it will leave lots of people impressed.
Hmm, okay, I'm slightly intrigued then.
Can the spectator riffle shuffle or only an overhand shuffle?
[quote]On Jul 13, 2019, Recoplon wrote:
Can the spectator riffle shuffle or only an overhand shuffle? [/quote

It wouldn’t be advised as the trick is supplied but once you have it, you will easily see a way of letting them riffle shuffle the cards
I like the idea per se, but I don't think it is 100 % fire proof enough for me, as there is a slight chance of failure, so I will not be able to perform it unfortunatly.
Is there anyone who can give a detailed review?

The video looks great but I'd like to know if this looks like the vid 100% of the time ?
Is there lots of set up?
Can the deck can be used for other things after?
Etc.

Thanks
So this is a special deck? Is it a one trick only deck or does it have possible other uses?
I could see the same outcome happening using the same concept that's used in a trick put out by Wayne Fox, which those decks could be used for other things, not just cutting to a specific card.
[quote]On Jul 12, 2019, dj wrote:
No Svengali Deck, Mirage Deck or Pop Eyed Popper deck is used in this routine, but something else. [/quote]

Smart *** deck?
[quote]On Jul 14, 2019, Mr. E. Casey wrote:
[quote]On Jul 12, 2019, dj wrote:
No Svengali Deck, Mirage Deck or Pop Eyed Popper deck is used in this routine, but something else. [/quote]

Smart *** deck? [/quote]
Only a very, very small part of the deck is prepared.

Darko
[quote]On Jul 14, 2019, dj wrote:
Only a very, very small part of the deck is prepared.
[/quote]

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Sounds very interesting.
On John Carey's latest DVD - Sweet Simplicity - there is a trick also called The Trick That Can be Explained. Is this the same trick? I just watched it but there was no mention or credit to Mark Elsdon.

Ed
Jheff has some comments on this on his latest newsletter (from last friday)
I have used this in my restaurant gig and it hits 100%. It is a great lead in to The Stranger. Literally the only 2 tricks I did all night. You can also use the deck to do other tricks as well. Highly recommend
[quote]On Jul 14, 2019, lil_magic wrote:
I have used this in my restaurant gig and it hits 100%. It is a great lead in to The Stranger. Literally the only 2 tricks I did all night. You can also use the deck to do other tricks as well. Highly recommend [/quote]

It may have hit 100% of the time for you that night but this is NOT 100%. Nobody can honestly say that this is 100%. That's like saying the classic force is 100% if you're allowed to keep trying until they pick the right card.

I see no advantage in this vs a Svengali deck because depending how they shuffle (even with a really quick overhand shuffle), they might ruin your ability to cleanly show the faces of the cards. You might as well just riffle shuffle a Svengali deck, have them cut and show the next card as different from their selection and it'd be the same effect but 100%. Or just use the same principle used here but remove the method that allows you to show the faces because it doesn't always work out anyway (which would turn this trick into nothing new at all btw).
Any professional will tell you no trick is 100%. You can even mess up a simple slieght and ruin the whole trick. So what will you do then? Come on. It's all about spectator management. And I hope you are knowledgeable enough to go into something else or have a backup if it doesn't hit. Just like every other trick if you practice enough you won't have to worry about it not hitting.
[quote]On Jul 15, 2019, lil_magic wrote:
Any professional will tell you no trick is 100%. You can even mess up a simple slieght and ruin the whole trick. So what will you do then? Come on. It's all about spectator management. And I hope you are knowledgeable enough to go into something else or have a backup if it doesn't hit. Just like every other trick if you practice enough you won't have to worry about it not hitting. [/quote]

You're right in that sense, there is probably always a way that a trick can go wrong. I see no point going further with this as I was just answering the biggest question everyone has been asking and those who were wondering hopefully now better understand the situation.
Mark Elsdon will be joining Luke Dancy on Facebook LIVE tomorrow - July 17th at 12pm PST for a live Q&A.
https://www.facebook.com/events/329053238002897/
Can't make it? No worries - we promise to post the recap for your viewing pleasure, but getting in on it in real time - you can get your questions answered!

Be sure to turn on your alerts to see upcoming events.
[quote]On Jul 12, 2019, hektormagic wrote:

And probably the most important- is the cut method sure enough (close to 100 percent success) or it is based on a method used for example in the 5221 effect which is not so ok when the spectator cuts... [/quote]

If any product / effect it heavily relies on audience must cut to the exact card in order make the effect happen, I personally will walk away, too many times audience simply cannot cut the position regardless I already mimic and even demonstrate how to cut the deck. It is just Murphy's law happened.

Also I care about my audience, any effect I performed has to be sure fired and best possible the routine / effect or whatever you want to call have fail safe or I called it plan B when things goes wrong. As for many already said it look like previous Mark release of 21 century Canasta, well it does and only Mark could tell us the difference.

I am not saying Mark's release relies on audience cut since I don't have the product, just chime to express my opinion.
I'm live with Mark Elsdon chatting about The Trick That CAN Be Explained! https://www.facebook.com/MurphysMagicSupplies/videos/879025969147195
So, apparently the demo video is in fact best case scenario. But, according to Mark it hits 90% of the time....Not good enough me, I'm out
Is this too good to be true?? Find out now! Catch the replay of my chat with Mark Elsdon to get ALL the details

[youtube]qyQTGzrRZwk[/youtube]
Full uncut performance by Mark Elsdon:
https://youtu.be/QlhQu4VtNDs

Darko
[youtube]QlhQu4VtNDs[/youtube]

:applause:
[quote]On Jul 17, 2019, dman11 wrote:
So, apparently the demo video is in fact best case scenario. But, according to Mark it hits 90% of the time....Not good enough me, I'm out [/quote]

Bottom drawer crap.
[quote]On Jul 22, 2019, pegasus wrote:
So, apparently the demo video is in fact best case scenario. But, according to Mark it hits 90% of the time....Not good enough me, I'm out [/quote]

Bottom drawer crap. [/quote]

I don’t think so. I have been doing this since Blackpool and I get a first time hit most of the time. If they have to cut twice it’s no big deal. Never had to have them cut more than twice. This trick leaves them nowhere to go.
Why is it bottom drawer crap?
£30 for this? Surely anyone who has played with a ******** card has thought "Hmm what if the spectator cut instead"

Steve Draun has a great routine called Unexpected Location which uses the same idea but in a much more deceptive way.
[quote]On Jul 15, 2019, Maxyedid wrote:
Jheff has some comments on this on his latest newsletter (from last friday) [/quote]

I'd like to read that, how do I subscribe please?

Many thanks

Mick
Why do I feel like I'm being charged $30 for a short card?
[quote]On Jul 25, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
Why do I feel like I'm being charged $30 for a short card? [/quote]
Hope not!!!

Well, I'll eat my words here. A fellow magi at the club has it. It is what I thought it was but not exactly either, hmmm...... a bit better than that. I did it five times and hit all five times. I did not see anyone have to cut twice. I'm back in, lol
Is it something that can live in your deck and allow you to use the deck for other effects first, or be rung into a deck at any moment?
You can do other things if planned properly.

Short cards don't work like that. You have to know how to cut to it. The inverse, however....
The effect is great (it's why I bought it...), the core method is fine. The issue I have is with the additional little extra method beyond them cutting to the predicted card (if you own this, you will know what I'm talking about). Maybe the quality of my "gimmicks" just were old or something because I can do a very simple overhand shuffle and very often it ruins the "setup". There is no way to know if the "setup" was ruined or not until it's too late and you get busted. THAT is my issue with this trick. I might have to remake some gimmicks. However I think that because of two two types of "gimmicks" used, they'll never properly work together. I hope those in the know will understand what I mean.
I don't think I explained it right. I didn't mean a typical short card (corner short). I mean take one card and shorten both sides (then re-round corners). You'll cut to it just about every time or pretty much match Elsdon's hit rate.

[quote]On Jul 26, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:

Short cards don't work like that. You have to know how to cut to it. The inverse, however.... [/quote]
[quote]On Jul 26, 2019, PatrickGregoire wrote:
The effect is great (it's why I bought it...), the core method is fine. The issue I have is with the additional little extra method beyond them cutting to the predicted card (if you own this, you will know what I'm talking about). Maybe the quality of my "gimmicks" just were old or something because I can do a very simple overhand shuffle and very often it ruins the "setup". There is no way to know if the "setup" was ruined or not until it's too late and you get busted. THAT is my issue with this trick. I might have to remake some gimmicks. However I think that because of two two types of "gimmicks" used, they'll never properly work together. I hope those in the know will understand what I mean. [/quote]

I made mine up with sf works brilliantly
[quote]On Jul 26, 2019, rowland wrote:
[quote]On Jul 26, 2019, PatrickGregoire wrote:
The effect is great (it's why I bought it...), the core method is fine. The issue I have is with the additional little extra method beyond them cutting to the predicted card (if you own this, you will know what I'm talking about). Maybe the quality of my "gimmicks" just were old or something because I can do a very simple overhand shuffle and very often it ruins the "setup". There is no way to know if the "setup" was ruined or not until it's too late and you get busted. THAT is my issue with this trick. I might have to remake some gimmicks. However I think that because of two two types of "gimmicks" used, they'll never properly work together. I hope those in the know will understand what I mean. [/quote]

I made mine up with sf works brilliantly [/quote]

That's good to hear but unfortunately I'd have to spend another $100 just to get this to work...
Short cards don't work like that. You have to know how to cut to it. The inverse, however.... [/quote]

While I was working at Hollywood Magic, we had a wonderful precision cutter and corner rounder and would sometimes make custom cards for special customers. At one point we sold a "Blackstone Deck" which was under a deal the owner had with Harry Sr. which was simply a *** card in a deck. We finally stopped making them up as it took 2 cuts and 4 corner rounds for every other card in the deck which took forever to do for a $5 (at the time) deck... but they were great to play with!
[quote]On Jul 26, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
I don't think I explained it right. I didn't mean a typical short card (corner short). I mean take one card and shorten both sides (then re-round corners). You'll cut to it just about every time or pretty much match Elsdon's hit rate.
[/quote]

I see, I thought you mean where you just short the short sides. If you also short the long sides, it gets a little more reliable. Just the short sides though, you need to kind of 'flip' up or down to it. I think a br****** would work better. But it sounds like Elsdon's is better than either of those.
[/quote]

I see, I thought you mean where you just short the short sides. If you also short the long sides, it gets a little more reliable. Just the short sides though, you need to kind of 'flip' up or down to it. I think a br****** would work better. But it sounds like Elsdon's is better than either of those. [/quote]

So if he’s referring to shorting all 4 sides then he didn’t explain it very well the second time either. 😁
But simply saying “both sides” is not specific enough to know which sides are being referred to. Could be both short sides, both long sides, a long and a short, or all 4.
Oh well, I guess we’ve determined it’s not simply a short card anyway, however it may be shortened.
You are correct. I wasn't specific enough. What I've found (by making it myself) is that a card that has an equal small sliver removed from every side, with the corner's re-rounded to look like a card should, can be cut to virtually every time, from either the long or short side. I just shuffled and cut to it 10 times. The only time it didn't work is when the card randomly got shuffled almost to the bottom, in which case the deck was cut once and then the short card was cut to again. It's virtually automatic and I would venture to say, just a reliable as Mark claims his to be.

[quote]On Jul 26, 2019, videoman wrote:
[/quote]

I see, I thought you mean where you just short the short sides. If you also short the long sides, it gets a little more reliable. Just the short sides though, you need to kind of 'flip' up or down to it. I think a br****** would work better. But it sounds like Elsdon's is better than either of those. [/quote]

So if he’s referring to shorting all 4 sides then he didn’t explain it very well the second time either. 😁
But simply saying “both sides” is not specific enough to know which sides are being referred to. Could be both short sides, both long sides, a long and a short, or all 4.
Oh well, I guess we’ve determined it’s not simply a short card anyway, however it may be shortened. [/quote]
Thanks for clarifying. Good to know.
Surely a card with all 4 sides even slightly shortened will be easily spotted,
Not at all as a lot of bike decks have a few rogue bordered cards in them .
Once trimmed their borders look exactly the same size as the rest of the deck so they are never spotted by a layman imo Gaz 🙂
[quote]On Jul 27, 2019, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Once trimmed their borders look exactly the same size as the rest of the deck so they are never spotted by a layman imo Gaz 🙂 [/quote]

That’s not what I meant. If you put a card that’s been shortened on all 4sides in a deck, where ever that card is you will see it.
Maybe if the deck is perfectly square, and if you know what to look for, but it's much less visible than you'd think. It only needs to be shortened a tiny bit to work. But if the deck is even a little mussed, it's totally invisible.

All 4 sides is kind of a misnomer though. You only need to trim one long side and one short one, and only about 1/32th of an inch or so. Cards are never perfectly centered, so you just trim the side that has a little more white border.

I personally consider a paper cutter an corner punch an essential possession for any serious magician or mentalist.
[quote]On Jul 27, 2019, rowland wrote:
Once trimmed their borders look exactly the same size as the rest of the deck so they are never spotted by a layman imo Gaz 🙂 [/quote]

That’s not what I meant. If you put a card that’s been shortened on all 4sides in a deck, where ever that card is you will see it. [/quote]
That's because we know it's there and looking for it. I darken mine with a pencil so I can tell where it's at. I also have a mark on the back to see that the card was cut to.
I agree with the last two posts .
I often mark the edge with a pencil line too as it’s very hard to spot otherwise and I have better than 20/20 vision .
I do Ben Earls Red Herring with it all the time and it kills Gaz 🙂
I agree with the last two posts .
I often mark the edge with a pencil line too as it’s very hard to spot otherwise and I have better than 20/20 vision .
I do Ben Earls Red Herring with it all the time and it kills Gaz 🙂 [/quote]

I'm... confused. Why would you need an edge-marked card for Red Herring?
Because the final stage I like it to be able central it for an bang on cut . The pencil line tells me whether it’s centralised or not , if it’s not I cut the deck in the mixing process so it is about central . However it’s anyway about 1/3 rd up or done either end I can still see it I can cut to it reliably Gaz 🙂
Yeah, you're totally right on all four sides not needing to be done. Four sides was more for exaggerated emphasis, understanding, and proof of concept. The reality you described is better and the way it should be done.

[quote]On Jul 27, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
Maybe if the deck is perfectly square, and if you know what to look for, but it's much less visible than you'd think. It only needs to be shortened a tiny bit to work. But if the deck is even a little mussed, it's totally invisible.

All 4 sides is kind of a misnomer though. You only need to trim one long side and one short one, and only about 1/32th of an inch or so. Cards are never perfectly centered, so you just trim the side that has a little more white border.

I personally consider a paper cutter an corner punch an essential possession for any serious magician or mentalist. [/quote]
Because the final stage I like it to be able central it for an bang on cut . The pencil line tells me whether it’s centralised or not , if it’s not I cut the deck in the mixing process so it is about central . However it’s anyway about 1/3 rd up or done either end I can still see it I can cut to it reliably Gaz 🙂 [/quote]

So in effect you are losing one of the strengths of the effect by handling the deck. I wonder how many people that are coming up with alternative ways of doing the effect actually have it
Sorry Rowland I was talking off topic about the Red Herring effect . I do let the spectators cut in that by gauging where the card is , I say cut off about 1/3 , 1/2 or 2/3’s of the
deck . It’s only if the card is so near the top or the bottom I get get them to cut half and complete the cut . Yes they pretty much always do all the work unless I have picked the wrong spectator then I do it as it’s only an extra kicker in the Red Herring effect anyway . Ben Earl actually cuts the deck himself on Red Herring , back on topic please Gaz 🙂
[quote]On Jul 14, 2019, egoli wrote:
On John Carey's latest DVD - Sweet Simplicity - there is a trick also called The Trick That Can be Explained. Is this the same trick? I just watched it but there was no mention or credit to Mark Elsdon.

Ed [/quote]
Ed,
Not the same.
Phil
Simple great effect.....
Magic Review - The Trick That Can Be Explained by Mark Elsdon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb0sKiBahmo
This is one of my best purchases in the last years!!!
I love this trick so much. I've seen a few people here and on shop reviews complain about the possibility of ruining the ability to show all the faces different once the pack has been shuffled by the spectator. Personally I just spread and show the cards are all different BEFORE I give them to the spectator to shuffle.
[quote]On Aug 21, 2019, AndrewI wrote:
I love this trick so much. I've seen a few people here and on shop reviews complain about the possibility of ruining the ability to show all the faces different once the pack has been shuffled by the spectator. Personally I just spread and show the cards are all different BEFORE I give them to the spectator to shuffle. [/quote]

That's a really good, simple solution. Thanks
Surely a br___her does the same? Perhaps I am missing something!
[quote]On Aug 23, 2019, Philippe wrote:
Surely a br___her does the same? Perhaps I am missing something! [/quote]
Yes you’re missing the very clever and thoughtful details in this that make it lightyears more reliable than the simple method you suggest when in the spectators hands.
Sorry Andrew 1 but I not convinced by your comment, a b.....er does do exactly the same!
Sorry Andrew 1 but I not convinced by your comment, a b.....er does do exactly the same! [/quote]
My comment is only based on my own experience of both methods. Try getting a spec to cut to your b....er after they have shuffled it to third from the bottom of the pack.
The position of the breather stands out so they cut and complete then cut again. It is so easy but there has to be more to ME’s offering as you insist it is much more?
The position of the breather stands out so they cut and complete then cut again. It is so easy but there has to be more to ME’s offering as you insist it is much more? [/quote]
Hi Philippe, if you have success reliably performing this effect your way, then you are absolutely correct that you do not need this. Personally I have performed it your way in the past and not had reliable success so this idea and purchase has been of great value for me.
The B c...p and variants of have been used for over 100 years and are completely as reliable as Philippe mentions . Any card that is 3rd from the bottom it would make complete sense to cut and complete the cut before cutting at the natural br..k . Otherwise it would be ridiculous to get your spectator to cut at 90% of the cards down from the face down or up deck ? Gaz 🙂
[quote]On Aug 25, 2019, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
The B c...p and variants of have been used for over 100 years and are completely as reliable as Philippe mentions . Any card that is 3rd from the bottom it would make complete sense to cut and complete the cut before cutting at the natural br..k . Otherwise it would be ridiculous to get your spectator to cut at 90% of the cards down from the face down or up deck ? Gaz 🙂 [/quote]
As I said to Philippe, if you find a b completely reliable in the spectators hands then well done, and you don't need this. Although a b is completely reliable in my own hands, I have never found it as reliable with spectators, particularly my regulars who love to assert their own free will by cutting in all sorts of unlikely places!
Looking at the posts on here and the way people are talking about a certain something being unreliable in the spectators hands made me wonder if they actually have the effect.
Mark has done something really simple which makes this effect much more reliable and surefire.
[quote]On Aug 25, 2019, AndrewI wrote:
The B c...p and variants of have been used for over 100 years and are completely as reliable as Philippe mentions . Any card that is 3rd from the bottom it would make complete sense to cut and complete the cut before cutting at the natural br..k . Otherwise it would be ridiculous to get your spectator to cut at 90% of the cards down from the face down or up deck ? Gaz 🙂 [/quote]
As I said to Philippe, if you find a b completely reliable in the spectators hands then well done, and you don't need this. Although a b is completely reliable in my own hands, I have never found it as reliable with spectators, particularly my regulars who love to assert their own free will by cutting in all sorts of unlikely places! [/quote]

Agree Andrew, I to have found the b c...p reliable in my hands but not 100% reliable in a specs hand.

And Rowland, I don't think people believe a b c...p is what is used in this effect, only that this a one method that can be utilized to achieve an effect as such. But it is obvious that there is more going on in this routine than a b c...p.
[quote]Alternatively you can have a photo of the card posted on your Twitter feed or other social media, or you can message them at the beginning and they check the message at the end.[/quote]

The physical aspect of this trick with the envelop is where it's at, anything having to do with phones or social media screams bullcrap IMO,it just does not hit as hard.👍
[quote]On Aug 26, 2019, RNK wrote:
[quote]On Aug 25, 2019, AndrewI wrote:
As I said to Philippe, if you find a b completely reliable in the spectators hands then well done, and you don't need this. Although a b is completely reliable in my own hands, I have never found it as reliable with spectators, particularly my regulars who love to assert their own free will by cutting in all sorts of unlikely places! [/quote]

Agree Andrew, I to have found the b c...p reliable in my hands but not 100% reliable in a specs hand.

And Rowland, I don't think people believe a b c...p is what is used in this effect, only that this a one method that can be utilized to achieve an effect as such. But it is obvious that there is more going on in this routine than a b c...p. [/quote]

Notwithstanding this particular effect at all, I find that if you have two bc's that are opposite in function next to each other then the spec will never miss. Unless the card is third from the bottom like someone else mentioned. There's a thing in The Jinx - which I think was Annemann's - which averts that possibility.
[quote]On Aug 26, 2019, Piz wrote:
[quote]Alternatively you can have a photo of the card posted on your Twitter feed or other social media, or you can message them at the beginning and they check the message at the end.[/quote]

The physical aspect of this trick with the envelop is where it's at, anything having to do with phones or social media screams bullcrap IMO,it just does not hit as hard.👍 [/quote]

Agree with this post and quote a lot Gaz 🙂
Drawfull I agree with you too .
I haven’t got this effect but I know how to achieve it .
I also know the variants on it as you describe , I don’t know if or how this differs from that Gaz 🙂
This is the ONLY card trick I've seen in my lifetime that gave me that jaw dropping Harry Loryane "Numero Uno" goose bump feeling when first seeing performed! That feeling of "No way in HE11 is that possible", WTF!!! A one of a kind magician foolery gem, and this is coming from a card guy of over 20 yrs! Absolutely genius in every respect of the word! Bravo to the creator, a million Claps ur way my friend!
Having a b crimp on top and a reverse on the bottom at the start of an effect is as old as the hills .
This maybe completely different but if you want a very fail safe version try it .
Just swing cut and have the selection placed on top and put the bottom half on top of the selection job done .
That is a basic very old procedure which I like Gaz 🙂
I've just read through this entire thread, my thoughts?... Now I don't own this effect yet (i will soon), but I will say that for those who say this effect is not for them simply because this does not hit 100% of the time, you folks seriously need to find a new hobby or profession. That's a part of being a magician, audience management and routine building is just as important if not more-so then the tricks themselves. I can honestly say that close to half of my effects on any given day are not bullet proof, but I make my audience feel as if they are due to planning and always having an out or simply making the trick my own in the end. Being a magician is an art, it's all about the artistry and what you make of it. No offence to you youngins out there, but I can't help but feel that this generation of magicians growing up these days simply want every trick to work for them instead of takin these tricks, putting in the work and making these effects there own in the end. Be creative, it's seriously NOT that hard. PIZ
[quote]On Aug 26, 2019, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Having a b crimp on top and a reverse on the bottom at the start of an effect is as old as the hills .
This maybe completely different but if you want a very fail safe version try it .
Just swing cut and have the selection placed on top and put the bottom half on top of the selection job done .
That is a basic very old procedure which I like Gaz 🙂 [/quote]
Tarik what you’re describing is a different effect. In the trick that can be explained, the spectator shuffles the deck, then without you touching the cards they cut once to the card you have predicted.
So - I love the sound of this. It's a great, direct plot. I have worked out a way of doing this which is very similar to the conditions described, but not, I think, exactly the same. It hits almost every single time. I wonder if someone who actually has this could PM me and at least tell me if I'm close?! DOn't really wanna do it in this forum: I don't think it's actually against the rules, but I don't wanna do that to Mark.
Pm me Ross I have bought it and have my own variant too . To AndrewI I was formerly Tarik Flash and it’s all above board and I am very proud of it .
I am under my real name now with Steve Brooks permission to stop the trolls .
Trust me I am one of the more helpful people on these boards and I always have been Gaz 🙂