(Close Window)
Topic: Easy Bend Keys by PropDog
Message: Posted by: Bonz (Mar 10, 2018 04:42PM)
We here at PropDog are extremely proud to present the Easy Bend Key! It's so soft, you can bend it with just your hands. Even a small built women can bend them! But the best thing is, once you bend it, you can't bend it back!

You can use this key on it's own, or in conjuction with the No Bend key, which is identical in every way, but this key has not been heat treated and is almost impossible to bend with your bare hands.

As a routine idea, you can give the No Bend Key to a spectator, ask him or her to bend it, which if course they can't, you take the key back and place your hand on their forehead and tell them that you are giving him or her the power to bend it or to give them super strength or whatever patter you want to use. Whilst doing this, you are switching the key for an Easy Bend Key. You then give them the key and ask them to bend it as much as they can, which they can now do. You now say that you are going to take the power away and snap your fingers. Because the key is now bent, they of course can not now bend it back.

Check them out here: http://www.propdog.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=bend%20key
Message: Posted by: jaizon (Mar 10, 2018 04:45PM)
I ordered 10. Will review when they get here.
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Mar 10, 2018 05:27PM)
Had mine for a couple of days...work as advertised, very useful product...
Message: Posted by: Harry Patter (Mar 10, 2018 06:12PM)
These are bloody brilliant. You hand a key out and have everyone try with all their might to bend it. They can't. You initial one side, someone else initials the other. They pick it up and with new powers can bend the key almost in half. No one can bend it back again.

The signed key is now a great souvenir. Not of when a magician bent a key, but when they bent it themselves.

Terrific.
Message: Posted by: TheDirectionalist (Mar 10, 2018 07:44PM)
Whoa.. Why is this so cheap?!?! This sounds incredible.

I use Rasmusí Real Coin bend which I love.. But having the ability to bend it and not be able to have it bent back is amazing!
Message: Posted by: Ustaad (Mar 10, 2018 08:49PM)
[quote]On Mar 10, 2018, Harry Patter wrote:

These are bloody brilliant. You hand a key out and have everyone try with all their might to bend it. They can't. You initial one side, someone else initials the other. They pick it up and with new powers can bend the key almost in half. No one can bend it back again.

[b]The signed key is now a great souvenir. Not of when a magician bent a key, but when they bent it themselves.[/b]

Terrific. [/quote]

PropDog nice find and very reasonably priced.

:xmas:
Message: Posted by: tophatter (Mar 11, 2018 01:09AM)
So once you bend a key those can never be bent back correct ? You loose a key every performance but for that price it's worth it !
Message: Posted by: tophatter (Mar 11, 2018 01:17AM)
They are now 1.98 each .
Message: Posted by: Harry Patter (Mar 11, 2018 01:33AM)
Yep. They bend easily but only once. If you get a brute of a spectator he may be able to move it. But it contrast to how easily a lady bent it double did it in the first place it doesn't matter. Hey - maybe she weakened it.

The look on the spectators face as they try to bend it the second time and they CAN is worth so much more than £1.98

It goes everywhere with me now. They are half the price of a coffee in London.

I really don't want anyone else doing it but that would spoil the point of this forum.
Message: Posted by: Bonz (Mar 11, 2018 01:40AM)
Thanks for all the kind comments guys,

Ustaad, this wasnít a Ďfindí, these were a development. Iíve previously developed the heat treated forks, and the Easy Bend Coins which are still available on our website. This was just the next evolution of those.

TheDirectionist, they are so cheap, because I donít want to rip my customers off! They donít cost that much to develop because they are brass keys so the annealing process takes far less heat than steel or other metals, therefore less energy costs. Also being brass the oxidisation cleanup is a lot easier than with other metals so less chemicals and again less energy needed. Also, brass being a soft metal, there is less wear and tear on key cutting machine and they are quicker to cut.
So I pass on all the savings to you guys.

The benefit to me is because they are cheaper, they become a more viable souvenir handout, the workers for example can afford to add them to their repertoire and use them regularly and therefore weíll hopefully sell more. Plus we are selling these direct, if they were sold through other dealers or shops then there would be an additional wholesale price and a retail price added on.

Hope all this makes sense 😃

Also guys, these arenít £1.98, they $1.98, (£1.49), but U.S and any non EU customers wonít have to pay the tax, so they would be just $1.65. We also do free shipping over £50 (around $70), anywhere in the world!

Regards

Dave
Message: Posted by: Ustaad (Mar 11, 2018 03:14AM)
[quote]On Mar 11, 2018, Bonz wrote:

Ustaad, this wasnít a Ďfindí, these were a development. Iíve previously developed the heat treated forks, and the Easy Bend Coins which are still available on our website. This was just the next evolution of those.[/quote]

Thank you for the clarification. And sorry for my ignorance.

[quote]On Mar 11, 2018, Bonz wrote:

TheDirectionist, they are so cheap, because I donít want to rip my customers off! They donít cost that much to develop because they are brass keys so the annealing process takes far less heat than steel or other metals, therefore less energy costs. Also being brass the oxidisation cleanup is a lot easier than with other metals so less chemicals and again less energy needed. Also, brass being a soft metal, there is less wear and tear on key cutting machine and they are quicker to cut. So I pass on all the savings to you guys.

The benefit to me is because they are cheaper, they become a more viable souvenir handout, the workers for example can afford to add them to their repertoire and use them regularly and therefore weíll hopefully sell more. Plus we are selling these direct, if they were sold through other dealers or shops then there would be an additional wholesale price and a retail price added on.
[/quote]

I highly admire and appreciate your business ethics. In todays magic business this kind of ethics is very rarely seen. Such business thinking and ethics are mutually beneficial to both, the seller as well as the buyer. People like you are setting an example for others to follow. I see that one will need at least two (one as spare) normal keys and a bunch of bending keys.

On my purchase list.

Wish you good luck.

:xmas:
Message: Posted by: pegasus (Mar 11, 2018 04:37AM)
[quote]On Mar 11, 2018, Bonz wrote:
Thanks for all the kind comments guys,

Ustaad, this wasnít a Ďfindí, these were a development. Iíve previously developed the heat treated forks, and the Easy Bend Coins which are still available on our website. This was just the next evolution of those.

TheDirectionist, they are so cheap, because I donít want to rip my customers off! They donít cost that much to develop because they are brass keys so the annealing process takes far less heat than steel or other metals, therefore less energy costs. Also being brass the oxidisation cleanup is a lot easier than with other metals so less chemicals and again less energy needed. Also, brass being a soft metal, there is less wear and tear on key cutting machine and they are quicker to cut.
So I pass on all the savings to you guys.

The benefit to me is because they are cheaper, they become a more viable souvenir handout, the workers for example can afford to add them to their repertoire and use them regularly and therefore weíll hopefully sell more. Plus we are selling these direct, if they were sold through other dealers or shops then there would be an additional wholesale price and a retail price added on.

Hope all this makes sense 😃

Also guys, these arenít £1.98, they $1.98, (£1.49), but U.S and any non EU customers wonít have to pay the tax, so they would be just $1.65. We also do free shipping over £50 (around $70), anywhere in the world!

Regards

Dave [/quote]

Agreed Ustaad. This is amazingly cheap all things considered. I thought it was a typo on their website. Lol.
Message: Posted by: hektormagic (Mar 11, 2018 06:25AM)
After the key is bended they can not unbend, but can they continue bending on the same direction?
Message: Posted by: Chris Jones (Mar 11, 2018 07:16AM)
I love mine and itís getting killer reaction.
Message: Posted by: TheDirectionalist (Mar 11, 2018 07:37AM)
Just purchased a bunch. So excited to add this to my close up repertoire!
Message: Posted by: Colin (C.J.) (Mar 11, 2018 07:48AM)
These were less than a pound each the other day and now they've increased in price by 50%!!!
Message: Posted by: mroek (Mar 11, 2018 07:53AM)
I went to the website, but it was already out of stock, so it obviously sold out very fast...
Bonz, when do you think you'll have more stock?
Message: Posted by: Philippe (Mar 11, 2018 08:33AM)
I am the same, just spotted this but to late. Are more coming?
Message: Posted by: Bonz (Mar 11, 2018 12:37PM)
Hey All,

We have sold out of the current batch, but we have 500 more coming in tomorrow and I should be able to finish them by the end of the day, so I've re-enabled them on the website and you can order now.

[quote]On Mar 11, 2018, Colin (C.J.) wrote:
These were less than a pound each the other day and now they've increased in price by 50%!!! [/quote]

Colin, yes they were cheaper the other day. If you read the words in big red bold letters on the Easy Bend key product page on the website you'll see exactly why the price went up. It reads the following:

[quote]Due to unexpected demand, we had run out of the origional keys.

Due to the first batch of keys being donated to us free of charge and ready cut, we were able to sell them at just £0.99 each, but the new batch have been puchased and we will have to cut each key individually ourselves, so the cost of the new keys will now be £1.49 each.

These new keys will also be a very slightly different than the ones in the first video. Check out the video below for more information.[/quote]

The video can be seen here: https://youtu.be/J2uZztOw-IM if anyone wants to see it.

[quote]On Mar 11, 2018, hektormagic wrote:
After the key is bended they can not unbend, but can they continue bending on the same direction? [/quote]

Hektormagic; yes, if they bend just a little bit, they can still bend more. The hardening is done by the molecules being stretched out, so the more you bend, the more they harden.

Ustaad: Thank you for the kind comments! It's the PropDog way! :-)

Dave
Message: Posted by: hektormagic (Mar 11, 2018 08:19PM)
Thanks but this not answer in full. So - if the spectator bend the key in about 90 degrees can he continue later to bend it in the same direction or the key become hard in both directions?
I ask because if you tell to the spectator that you take back his power and he can not unbend the key but if he find that he can still bend it in the same direction so he will understand that he is not ďlostĒ his power to bend the key, but just have a gimmick which is bendable in one direction, which will be sad...

I really like the idea of the key, so most probably will buy a lot, but...
Message: Posted by: hektormagic (Mar 11, 2018 08:23PM)
And... is the temperature of the air matter?
Message: Posted by: Bonz (Mar 12, 2018 03:36AM)
Hi Hektor,

The room temperature makes no difference whatsoever. The more the key is bent, the harder it becomes, so if they bent it say 45 degrees, they could bend it further, but it would be harder to bend it again than the first time. If they bent it 90 degrees, they might be able to bend it a tiny bit further, but this would be very hard. Once the start bending, the momentum makes a 90 degree bend very easy in one go, but in two goes, it is harder. I hope this all makes sense. The only way to truly understand and feel the bends are to try it yourself.

Regards

Dave
Message: Posted by: mroek (Mar 12, 2018 04:48AM)
Thanks! My order is in, will be fun testing this. I guess it will give good reactions if done right!
Message: Posted by: hektormagic (Mar 12, 2018 05:51AM)
Thank you very much Bonz!
Message: Posted by: mroek (Mar 12, 2018 09:55AM)
And my order from this morning has already been shipped, I'm impressed. Obviously PropDog has been able to make a few more keys now!
Message: Posted by: Ustaad (Mar 12, 2018 10:31AM)
My son placed my order. The order status changed from Processing to Shipped in just about 30 minutes or so. And that's called great and prompt customer service. :)

Thank you.

:xmas:
Message: Posted by: emyers99 (Mar 12, 2018 10:35AM)
Ordered 100 of these. Can't wait to give them a whirl. I've been using Steel (nails that are made like these keys) and it kills. Keys are a more logical everyday item to carry around than nails, so I'm looking forward to new presentations that will be possible with the keys.
Message: Posted by: Harry Patter (Mar 12, 2018 10:56AM)
Okay, I'm getting obsessed these. But I need to promote a show and then it all clicked.

Hole punch your business cards, slip some ball&chain through them and put them into your jacket pocket.

Use getting the card as justification to do the dirty work a la Tamariz. Once you have the 'special' key in play, thread the chain through the key and loop it on.

Voila, your business card is now a keyring for the key and part of the souvenir.
Message: Posted by: Ustaad (Mar 12, 2018 11:00AM)
[quote]On Mar 12, 2018, emyers99 wrote:

I'm looking forward to new presentations that will be possible with the keys. [/quote]

And there you have it!! :)

[quote]On Mar 12, 2018, Harry Patter wrote:

Okay, I'm getting obsessed these. But I need to promote a show and then it all clicked.

Hole punch your business cards, slip some ball&chain through them and put them into your jacket pocket.

Use getting the card as justification to do the dirty work a la Tamariz. Once you have the 'special' key in play, thread the chain through the key and loop it on.

Voila, your business card is now a keyring for the key and part of the souvenir. [/quote]

@Harry Patter: That makes a very sensible routine and presentation. Thank you for sharing.

:xmas:
Message: Posted by: emyers99 (Mar 12, 2018 01:27PM)
Great idea Harry! I usually use Key Accessory by Andrew Gerard. At the end, the spectator walks away with a bent key dangling from a rubber band around their wrist. Great visual at the end of the night with many people wearing bent keys. The rubber band idea will work with these keys as well and/or you could use the rubber band instead of the ball/chain in Harry's routine.
Message: Posted by: Jared (Mar 14, 2018 11:47AM)
Looking forward to getting my hands on these because they sure do look good... Does anyone have any idea when these will be stocked in the USA?
Message: Posted by: Bonz (Mar 15, 2018 10:26AM)
HI Jared,

I'm afraid that they will never be stocked in the USA! Only we make and sell them and the only way to have them stocked in shops in the USA would mean quadrupling the price and I'm not willing to do that. However we do have hundreds of customers in the US who purchase regularly from us, shipping is free over £50, you don't have to pay tax, so you get the cheaper rate and shipping only takes around 8-12 days.

regards, Dave
Message: Posted by: Flush Toric (Mar 17, 2018 09:21AM)
These are great and I donít think they could be made any better and are definitely a decent price . However certainly donít make it a challenge for your spectator to bend the no bend key as I can certainly do it . Also once the easy bend key is bent although itís a lot harder it can still be bent back the other way as I out of curiosity not only done it but ending up snapping it . Like anything else itís audience management and possibly best done on someone very petite , that being said they are not melt like butter bend and they have to give it a bit to even start the easy bend ones off . Still very good and like I said I canít believe they can be made any better than this so overall very very good in the right hands 🙂
Message: Posted by: Colin (C.J.) (Mar 17, 2018 09:56AM)
Mine are really easy to bend back. Sort of ruins the mystery. I wonít be getting any more, Iíll stick with my energy bender thanks.
Message: Posted by: pegasus (Mar 17, 2018 12:33PM)
[quote]On Mar 17, 2018, Colin (C.J.) wrote:
Mine are really easy to bend back. Sort of ruins the mystery. I wonít be getting any more, Iíll stick with my energy bender thanks. [/quote]

Good to know Colin, thanks.
Message: Posted by: Bonz (Mar 17, 2018 01:02PM)
[quote]On Mar 17, 2018, Colin (C.J.) wrote:
Mine are really easy to bend back. Sort of ruins the mystery. I wonít be getting any more, Iíll stick with my energy bender thanks. [/quote]

Hi Colin, I'm really surprised to hear you say this, it's not the feedback I've had from any of my customers, so I can only assume either you had a couple of dodgy ones or you weren't bending them enough. As the description says, the more you bend them, the harder they are to bend back, if you only bend them a little, then yes you can bend them back, but if you bend them to a good 90 degree right angle, they are extremely difficult to bend back.

Nobody called Colin placed an order for them, so I don't have your details, but if you drop me an email with your address, I'll send you free load more to play around with, because this really isn't the case.

kind regards,

Dave
Message: Posted by: Colin (C.J.) (Mar 17, 2018 02:41PM)
I was obviously not bending them enough. I prefer shallower bends, less than 45 degrees. The subtler the better for me. Although I did just try bending a couple to nearly 90 degrees and while it is harder to bend them back it is absolutely possible to do so.
Message: Posted by: Bonz (Mar 19, 2018 05:51AM)
Hi Colin,

Please do forward me your details so I can get some more keys in the post to you. We stand by our products and wouldn't want you to be unhappy with an order.

regards,

Dave
Message: Posted by: Kobra (Mar 19, 2018 08:52AM)
On the flip side I struggled to bend my keys, I found you had to use quite a bit of force with two hands.

Once bent though they won't bend back!
Message: Posted by: MadisonH (Mar 19, 2018 12:34PM)
Just got mine in.

I just tried to bend one and it snapped right at 90 degrees! Yikes. Makes me a little hesitant to perform it.

Madison
Message: Posted by: CarlMcCoy (Mar 19, 2018 12:38PM)
[quote]On Mar 19, 2018, MadisonH wrote:
Just got mine in.

I just tried to bend one and it snapped right at 90 degrees! Yikes. Makes me a little hesitant to perform it.

Madison [/quote]


Mine too. Bent it a bit and waited a few seconds to then bend it some more to 90 degrees as I wanted to see what it would be like to bend it in stages (which was indeed harder).

Left it 20 - 30 seconds and then attempted to bend it back...snapped immediately.
Message: Posted by: TheDirectionalist (Mar 19, 2018 01:18PM)
And the mystery is solved of why they are so cheap..
Message: Posted by: Lseeyou (Mar 19, 2018 03:19PM)
Got my keys today but NOT easy to bend... even my business partner struggled to bend them.

It snap in two aswell... Dave something is wrong and they are not like the ones the ladies bend :(

not good at all
Message: Posted by: TheDirectionalist (Mar 19, 2018 03:24PM)
Just got mine in.. Very hard to bend.. Canít get it to bend to 90 degrees with my hands. So they can be bent back as well.. I was excited for these but unfortunately thereís no way to test the quality of them without ruining them.
Message: Posted by: rowland (Mar 19, 2018 04:00PM)
[quote]On Mar 19, 2018, Lseeyou wrote:
Got my keys today but NOT easy to bend... even my business partner struggled to bend them.

It snap in two aswell... Dave something is wrong and they are not like the ones the ladies bend :(

not good at all [/quote]
I have pretty strong hands and I can bend them but not easily. Iím pretty sure a lady would not be able to bend these.
Message: Posted by: Lseeyou (Mar 19, 2018 04:09PM)
[youtube]jYZBW5Sf62E[/youtube]

starts @00:30 *is it only me that sees 2 ladies?

:(
Message: Posted by: rowland (Mar 19, 2018 04:43PM)
[quote]On Mar 19, 2018, Lseeyou wrote:
[youtube]jYZBW5Sf62E[/youtube]

starts @00:30 *is it only me that sees 2 ladies?

:( [/quote]
Mine definitely do not bend like this
Message: Posted by: TheDirectionalist (Mar 19, 2018 05:27PM)
[quote]On Mar 19, 2018, rowland wrote:
[quote]On Mar 19, 2018, Lseeyou wrote:
[youtube]jYZBW5Sf62E[/youtube]

starts @00:30 *is it only me that sees 2 ladies?

:( [/quote]
Mine definitely do not bend like this [/quote]

Neither did mine.. Honestly I kind of want a refund.. Or at least keys that bend that easy!
Message: Posted by: The Duster (Mar 19, 2018 05:33PM)
I don't know anything

But am making a presumption here

Maybe the first stock [taht was 99p] were 'better' - and then all the later stock [after the price went up 50p] is the more difficult to bend [ones that will break as well]

Does that tally with those that say they have problems, did they buy them before or after the stock changed [with the price]

I didn't buy any but was thinking/hovering over this item
Message: Posted by: The Duster (Mar 19, 2018 05:34PM)
Or - it could be a tempature thing... though propdog said that made no difference

It's very cold here in UK

But then if room temp hasn't changed then outside temp means nothing
Message: Posted by: TheDirectionalist (Mar 19, 2018 05:38PM)
I thought about the temperature thing. So I held one in my hand for a long awhile to heat it up first. Still didnít bend easier.
Message: Posted by: Bonz (Mar 20, 2018 03:11AM)
Hey guys, I've been thinking about this and I think I've solved it. I have tried bending a random selection of keys from those I have treated. There were some differences between them. When I heat these, I put them in a basket in the kiln and heat them to 700 degrees Celsius and keep them there for 30 minutes. But I think that the keys in the centre are not getting as hot, hence they won't be annealed as much. So I've done some tests where I've left them for a full hour at 700c and all have been identical! So from now on, all of these should be consistent.

If anyone has purchased them and is not happy with them, drop me and email and I'll either refund you in full or resend you some more free of charge :-)

Dave
Message: Posted by: pegasus (Mar 20, 2018 04:22AM)
Fantastic gesture Dave. We need more like you.
Message: Posted by: Colin (C.J.) (Mar 20, 2018 04:26AM)
Agreed.
Message: Posted by: rowland (Mar 20, 2018 05:05AM)
Top service from propdog as always
Message: Posted by: mroek (Mar 20, 2018 05:16AM)
I haven't received mine yet, and I'll test a couple when I get them. Should they not work as advertised it is great to know that Propdog stands by their products.
The tricky thing here is that they are one-time use items, so you can't really test them...
Message: Posted by: mroek (Mar 20, 2018 07:16AM)
I actually received mine just now, and immediately tried to bend one. I could bend it, but I doubt very much that my wife would have been able to. I bent it to 90 degrees, and it did not snap, but it took quite a bit of force.

It feels to me that to have a good reaction it should have bent more easily. Is there some way we could establish a method to describe how much force is really needed? Like establishing some reference common item that one could try to bend, and that takes about the same force as a proper Easy Bend Key? Just to know what to expect?

Dave, perhaps you could measure the torque needed to bend a key that you know has been properly annealed? I'm thinking something like clamping it in a vice, and then attach an arm of known length to it which is then weighted down at the end until the key bends to a certain angle (like 45 degrees)? The weight would then be proportional to the torque needed to bend the key (provided the arm used is strong and light, so that it contributes as little as possible to the bending torque).
Message: Posted by: Michael Clifton (Mar 20, 2018 07:28AM)
[quote]On Mar 19, 2018, MadisonH wrote:
Just got mine in.

I just tried to bend one and it snapped right at 90 degrees! Yikes. Makes me a little hesitant to perform it.

Madison [/quote]

Yep..same here too
Message: Posted by: emyers99 (Mar 20, 2018 08:55AM)
Got my batch of 100. Played with a few of them last night. They are definitely bendable, but even with my hand strength (I've bent a few thousand forks and nails in my time), the best I could do was a 90 degree bend. So your mileage will vary depending on your spectator. Probably best suited for an average male spectator, although I'm guessing few will get it to 90 degrees. As I said above, I use Steel all the time and love it. The nails require similar hand strength to this but the one difference is that the nails are longer than a key and therefore allow for better leverage to get bigger bends.

Overall, both great products if you will use them. The hardest part of both Steel and these keys is telling the real item from the bendable item. So pocket/prop management is important so you don't get them mixed up.
Message: Posted by: Harry Patter (Mar 20, 2018 10:02AM)
[quote]On Mar 20, 2018, emyers99 wrote:
The hardest part of both Steel and these keys is telling the real item from the bendable item. So pocket/prop management is important so you don't get them mixed up. [/quote]

I keep the non-bend on a key ring so it won't get lost or mixed. It is also very natural to remove it and hand it out.
Message: Posted by: TheDirectionalist (Mar 20, 2018 10:06AM)
Great customer service. Getting new ones in.. Hope they work!
Message: Posted by: Bonz (Mar 21, 2018 04:27AM)
Thanks for all the positive comments guys, we always stand by our products and I'd rather lose money and give refunds than have unhappy customers! The trouble with these keys appears to be if I make them too soft, then they can bend back a bit more easily and might snap, if I don't make them soft enough, then the are too difficult to bend. It's trying to get them just right. We're now trying a slightly different key to see if that helps. Those who I have sent replacement keys to will all see these and if anyone wants some free samples to play around with, just drop me an email and I'll pop a could win the post to you. Just the easy bends, not the no bends.
Message: Posted by: marcrodt (Mar 21, 2018 11:26AM)
Dave,

First thanks for the exceptional customer service!
And second, please take yout time (at least with my new keys that you generously offered).
Better to fugure it out right. I am not in a hurry.

Cheers,

Marc
Message: Posted by: Ustaad (Mar 21, 2018 09:13PM)
@ Dave: That's Great and exceptional customer service.

:xmas:
Message: Posted by: Deej1 (Mar 24, 2018 09:32AM)
Well, despite the Propdog website now suggesting that one only purchase two or three of these to try out, I've worked with just over a dozen...

For me, the prop needed a sensible amount of thought because a client has asked that I give a talk illustrating the difference between your conscious / unconscious mind. In this context, I can already see that the keys are ideal. As with any prop, there are limitations - but nothing that doesn't get buried or turned to a strength by routining and scripting. Personally, I wouldn't be even remotely concerned if one key seems slightly harder to bend than another because - compared to the no-bend key - they're all relatively easy.

Also, I'm not inviting anyone to bend the key back again since I think that's unnecessary. Pace killer for me. As regards the key physically snapping... I haven't had that but in my routine it would take it to another level - I sincerely hope it DOES happen! In any case, if you'd like the outline of what I've been doing with it so far, feel free to PM.

Best regards
Message: Posted by: TheDirectionalist (Mar 24, 2018 10:05AM)
[quote]On Mar 24, 2018, Deej1 wrote:
Well, despite the Propdog website now suggesting that one only purchase two or three of these to try out, I've worked with just over a dozen...

For me, the prop needed a sensible amount of thought because a client has asked that I give a talk illustrating the difference between your conscious / unconscious mind. In this context, I can already see that the keys are ideal. As with any prop, there are limitations - but nothing that doesn't get buried or turned to a strength by routining and scripting. Personally, I wouldn't be even remotely concerned if one key seems slightly harder to bend than another because - compared to the no-bend key - they're all relatively easy.

Also, I'm not inviting anyone to bend the key back again since I think that's unnecessary. Pace killer for me. As regards the key physically snapping... I haven't had that but in my routine it would take it to another level - I sincerely hope it DOES happen! In any case, if you'd like the outline of what I've been doing with it so far, feel free to PM.

Best regards [/quote]

If someone came up to me, took a key and struggled a bit to bend it.. And then it bent slightly.. Iíd not be remotely impressed. And neither would the college kids I perform for.. Theyíd be like ďoh cool.. Youíve got strong thumbs nice..Ē
Message: Posted by: Deej1 (Mar 24, 2018 12:30PM)
[quote]On Mar 24, 2018, TheDirectionalist wrote:
[quote]On Mar 24, 2018, Deej1 wrote:
Well, despite the Propdog website now suggesting that one only purchase two or three of these to try out, I've worked with just over a dozen...

For me, the prop needed a sensible amount of thought because a client has asked that I give a talk illustrating the difference between your conscious / unconscious mind. In this context, I can already see that the keys are ideal. As with any prop, there are limitations - but nothing that doesn't get buried or turned to a strength by routining and scripting. Personally, I wouldn't be even remotely concerned if one key seems slightly harder to bend than another because - compared to the no-bend key - they're all relatively easy.

Also, I'm not inviting anyone to bend the key back again since I think that's unnecessary. Pace killer for me. As regards the key physically snapping... I haven't had that but in my routine it would take it to another level - I sincerely hope it DOES happen! In any case, if you'd like the outline of what I've been doing with it so far, feel free to PM.

Best regards [/quote]

If someone came up to me, took a key and struggled a bit to bend it.. And then it bent slightly.. Iíd not be remotely impressed. And neither would the college kids I perform for.. Theyíd be like ďoh cool.. Youíve got strong thumbs nice..Ē [/quote]

No, I wouldn't be impressed with that either, and nor would anyone else I know. I completely agree with you.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, though, because that's not what I'm doing: rather, the participant has a key that doesn't bend when they apply considerable force. Then, after some pseudo-hypnotic language, they find that they now CAN bend the key - with comparative ease... And not "slightly", but to 80 or 90 degrees. For me, that's a very effective and credible way to illustrate the point I need to make.

Best regards
Message: Posted by: Payner44 (Mar 25, 2018 08:25AM)
Website seems to be down. Can you get these anywhere else?
Message: Posted by: mroek (Mar 27, 2018 04:53AM)
Website is working fine now, it seems.
Message: Posted by: kevin carmean (Mar 29, 2018 07:54PM)
Just received the replacement keys today and what a difference!! Wow! The new keys bends and doesn't break and it didn't break when I tried to bend it back and it wasn't budging, and it didn't break off. This is an awesome effect! I can see I will be buying lots of these keys! Fantastic customer service. Dave is the MAN.
Message: Posted by: TheDirectionalist (Mar 29, 2018 09:23PM)
[quote]On Mar 29, 2018, kevin carmean wrote:
Just received the replacement keys today and what a difference!! Wow! The new keys bends and doesn't break and it didn't break when I tried to bend it back and it wasn't budging, and it didn't break off. This is an awesome effect! I can see I will be buying lots of these keys! Fantastic customer service. Dave is the MAN. [/quote]
This is excellent news.. Excited to receive mine now!
Message: Posted by: MadisonH (Mar 29, 2018 10:14PM)
I also recieved my replacement keys, and initial testing seems to prove these are better! Iím feeling hopeful!

Madison
Message: Posted by: mroek (Mar 30, 2018 06:11AM)
I haven't received my replacements yet, but now I understand I really have something to look forward to!
Message: Posted by: Colin (C.J.) (Mar 30, 2018 06:48AM)
Creators shouldn't use paying customers as beta testers. While I appreciate Bonz's attempts to make things right I think a lesson has been learnt. Better to properly test a product before launching.

That said I've just been on the new Propdog site and it's outstanding. Well worth a visit.
Message: Posted by: Bonz (Mar 30, 2018 07:49AM)
Thanks for the comments guys, good to hear the new keys are better. Thanks for the kind comments regarding the new site Colin! We must have tested a hundred keys when we first did them and they were fine and we've sold about 2000 now and most were fine, it's just that small batch that must not have got hot enough in the kiln and were a little too hard to bend and the attempts to fix these that were left in the kiln to long that made them too soft. It was a learning process, but its all sorted now and the new style keys were all left in the kiln a lot longer, but at a lower temperature, so that seems to have sorted the issue. So anyone with the older style, that has keyosk on it, might still have some from the bad batch, all the new ones with JMA on them should all be fine. It wasn't to do with the brand of keys, it was just that we purchased all the keys from Keyosk and then had to move to a different supplier for the JMA ones.

I've also done a new video about the keys, you can see that here: http://www.propdog.co.uk/easy-bend-key

Regards, Dave
Message: Posted by: Chris Jones (Mar 30, 2018 07:55AM)
Iíve bought and they are fantastic, best purchase for ages.
Message: Posted by: Lseeyou (Mar 30, 2018 09:21AM)
Dave,

got my replacement ones BUT I still can't bend like Mel and Dean in the new video (start @2:45) I WISH I COULD... something is wrong and we are 2 guys with strong hands.

Not again... this is useless for me but I cannot understand how easy they bend the ones in the video. The ones I have will hurt your fingers and can't bend 90 degrees for sure.

:(


[youtube]4RK1dnkMRS0[/youtube]
Message: Posted by: Colin (C.J.) (Mar 30, 2018 09:52AM)
On no! That's gutting to hear.

If I were Bonz I'd pull the product for now and focus on getting the formula 100% right. My recommendation is for Bonz to experiment with the preparation and then spend two to three months in the field using the keys until he experiences a 100% success rate. Only then would I put it back out. One imperfect key used at the wrong moment could be damaging to a professional performance.
Message: Posted by: mroek (Mar 30, 2018 05:44PM)
Bonz, if the replacement ones are different, did you also send new "No Bend key(s)" along with the replacements (if people had ordered that in the first place?). Reason for asking is obvious, because the old "No Bend key" style will of course be useless with the new style "Easy Bend keys", since they look different.
Message: Posted by: TheDirectionalist (Mar 31, 2018 04:27PM)
Okay unfortunately the replacements were even worse for me.. Iím saddened because I liked the concept.. But I agree this should be pulled and developed a little more.
Message: Posted by: emyers99 (Mar 31, 2018 05:26PM)
Bummed because I just bought 100 of these.
Message: Posted by: videoman (Apr 1, 2018 04:03PM)
Apparently there are still some bugs to work out. That's too bad because I wasn't very happy with the first set I received and was going to send them back for replacement but looks like there may be no point in doing that now. Still seems to be kind of hit or miss as far as which ones bend easily and which require much more effort. The couple I tried in my first set I could not get to 90 degrees.
So now I'm not too sure I could ever have faith in these and trust it to work properly. At least it may take a while I think.
Message: Posted by: mroek (Apr 5, 2018 01:35PM)
I received my replacements (and also a few extra) a few days ago, and they are better than the first ones. They seem to not break (at least didn't in my tests), and they also seem to be harder to bend back (which is good).

However, I still think they are a bit too hard to bend. Anyone with strong fingers can bend them, but it takes quite a bit of force, and perhaps so much that the spectators doing the bending may think that there's nothing unusual about it.
Message: Posted by: Why.So.Serious? (Apr 5, 2018 02:26PM)
So are the new ones better? Cause Iím about to 50 of these. Thanks
Message: Posted by: mroek (Apr 5, 2018 04:55PM)
As I wrote, they are a bit better, but still takes considerable force to bend. At least more than what it seems when watching the promo video.
Message: Posted by: Chris Jones (Apr 5, 2018 05:39PM)
You cannot be doing it right? I have 20 of the new ones and they are so easy to bend.
Message: Posted by: Ustaad (Apr 6, 2018 12:59AM)
[quote]On Apr 5, 2018, Chris Jones wrote:

You cannot be doing it right? I have 20 of the new ones and they are so easy to bend. [/quote]

I received the newer replacement lot (with some extra keys) and as a test run I tried out six keys at random. A lady could easily bend the keys, exactly the way as seen in the promo vid.

:xmas:
Message: Posted by: mroek (Apr 6, 2018 02:45AM)
Hmm, that is a bit weird. Not sure how it is possible to do this wrong, but I will test some more, and possibly try to do a more scientific test. Perhaps I am just expecting it to be easier than it looks from the video?
Message: Posted by: Magicmike221 (Apr 6, 2018 10:56AM)
Just ordered a bunch of these :jump:
Message: Posted by: Bonz (Apr 6, 2018 02:26PM)
I have made a video today just for the people reading and commenting this thread.

Please watch it.

[youtube]4RK1dnkMRS0[/youtube]

Thank you

Dave
Message: Posted by: TheDirectionalist (Apr 6, 2018 03:15PM)
When I tested the new batch of keys, I tried to bend them both ways. All of them. All of them were very difficult to bend. To prove it, I even took a key and pressed it against the floor to get more leverage. Still didnít bend 90 degrees. Now.. I believe you guys obviously, and you say you believe those who didnít have easy to bend keys.. Then there MUST be an explanation as to why some keys arenít bending easily.

The only thing I can think of, is the cold. I live in Upstate NY. Itís still snowing here. Iím assuming that maybe if the keys are too cold for too long, it hardens them.
Message: Posted by: Colin (C.J.) (Apr 6, 2018 03:23PM)
I asked a friend of mine, who is an expert in metallurgy, and he confirmed your hypothesis may well be correct. The temperature experienced by the keys post treatment can impact their malleability.
Message: Posted by: TheDirectionalist (Apr 6, 2018 03:26PM)
[quote]On Apr 6, 2018, Colin (C.J.) wrote:
I asked a friend of mine, who is an expert in metallurgy, and he confirmed your hypothesis may well be correct. The temperature experienced by the keys post treatment can impact their malleability. [/quote]

Ah well thatís good to hear. One step closer to finding this mystery out!

One way for Propdog to prove this theory, would be to place a few in the freezer overnight. Then wait for them to warm back up and see how they bend.
Message: Posted by: Ustaad (Apr 6, 2018 08:44PM)
[quote]On Apr 6, 2018, TheDirectionalist wrote:
[quote]On Apr 6, 2018, Colin (C.J.) wrote:

I asked a friend of mine, who is an expert in metallurgy, and he confirmed your hypothesis may well be correct. [b]The temperature experienced by the keys post treatment can impact their malleability.[/b] [/quote]

Ah well thatís good to hear. One step closer to finding this mystery out!

[b]One way for Propdog to prove this theory, would be to place a few in the freezer overnight. Then wait for them to warm back up and see how they bend.[/b] [/quote]

That's a very good suggestion. Worth experimenting.

BTW I live in WA.

:xmas:
Message: Posted by: JohnnyShaker (Jul 8, 2019 12:00PM)
I received my keys today.
Let me say first, top service from PropDog! I'm from Portugal and the shipment was super fast!
I'm very satisfied with my purchase... I tried 2 keys already, and they bend easily.
Now, it's time to do some magic!

I was wondering if someone whould like to share some ideas/routines to use the Easy Bend Keys.

(PS - Sorry for my rusty english)
Message: Posted by: charlie_d (Sep 16, 2020 07:23AM)
Just re-raising this thread. If you're curious about these keys, definitely get some. The bugs are worked out, they work like a charm, exactly as described / demonstrated in Dave's video above. Easy to bend once, then they get much, much harder to bend. Most folks can bend these easily, unless they're small kids or have some kind of hand problem.

I don't like the idea of bending someone's cutlery, or cutlery in a bar or venue. Obviously, if challenged, and if everyone's ok with it, then it's fine. But "my shed key" seems like a natural metal object that's close at hand.

Rasmus' "Steel" is great also, but not as natural an object. Although the nails are, again, very convincing.
Message: Posted by: tophatter (Sep 21, 2020 11:15PM)
Great ! Do you also get a few duplicates of the real key to switch ? first have it examined then switch it out when you have it signed with a sharpie.
Message: Posted by: tophatter (Sep 21, 2020 11:21PM)
I see now on the website 1.25 each for the regular keys !
Message: Posted by: Manos Kartsakis (Sep 22, 2020 03:32AM)
I have used both products (easy to bend keys and Steel by Rasmus) and they both work great. I would say that the nails in Steel are a bit more difficult to unbend than the keys once they have been bent. I guess upon deciding which product works best for you really depends on your presentation.
Message: Posted by: charlie_d (Sep 22, 2020 04:40AM)
Re: examination of the key - I'd be interested to hear how everyone handles this; I'm not convinced a switch is necessary. But if anyone has a presentation where the switch is nicely covered/motivated, I'd be very interested!

I'd also be really interested in routines, scripts etc for this. It's an incredible prop; it deserves a really great presentation.
Message: Posted by: tophatter (Sep 24, 2020 12:20PM)
Give the spectator the real Key try to bend impossible now do a shuttle pass over & the gimmick key shows . You now have a reason to go to your pocket for the sharpie as you ditch the real key . Come out with the sharpie have them sign there intials on the shaft of the key & now the key can be bent & they have a souvenier ! The best part is you end clean tha't how I would perform this . Or another routine would be to take there strength away & then give them there strength back & they can now bend the key!
Message: Posted by: tophatter (Sep 25, 2020 01:55AM)
I just ordered 20 keys & two regular keys looking foward !
Message: Posted by: Magicalos (Sep 25, 2020 09:26AM)
@tophatter same here! hopefully they work as advertised well see!
Message: Posted by: tophatter (Sep 25, 2020 12:40PM)
Yes they will I heard there great I really wish they made united state quarters !