(Close Window)
Topic: Science friction vs. Plasti-dip
I have heard that they do the same thing Is that true because plastidip is way cheaper
It is true that they "sort of" do the same. I have used both side by side and the plasti-dip does not hold up as well and is very noticable.

As far as cost Plasti-dip is cheaper but you get what you pay for. SF is only "very costly" on the initial purchase but remember you get the product, you get a gaff card wallet ($20 value) a dvd with directions and several routines ($30-$40 is what most dvds go for) You get templates for spraying different areas of the card without getting everywhere.You also get a complete Gaff Deck ($15 and a good bit of the gaffs can be used with Bikes) So you are really getting a deal on your first can. You also receive a registration code for "members only" but it also gets you future cans of SF at a big discount. Many see the $100 price tag and look past "the big picture". It just depends on how you look at it.
I lecture on rough and smooth and this question comes up a lot.
To the point where I now keep 2 packets of cards for comparison, one with SF one with PlastiDip. I just say "there's a great way to tell if they're the same, buy a can of each..." then pass the packets round so people can see for themselves the difference between the 2 finishes.

They do the same thing in the same way a deck of cards from the pound shop and a deck of gold standards do the same thing.
Poof-Daddy put it very well :)
[quote]On Jul 19, 2018, TheGreenT wrote:
To the point where I now keep 2 packets of cards for comparison, one with SF one with PlastiDip. I just say "there's a great way to tell if they're the same, buy a can of each..." then pass the packets round so people can see for themselves the difference between the 2 finishes. [/quote]
That is great that you are able to show it around side by side to many. Unfortunately, my testing can only rely the couple retired guys in my magic club that I showed the difference to and the folks on this site that "trust me".

I recently purchased a few decks of Phoenix cards with the new "Large Pips" and one of the decks was an "Invisible Deck" made with SF spray. I find it to be way better than the old roughing fluid decks I used to buy and / or later make myself. Plus, only half the cards are treated. (another plus for SF spray)
[quote]On Jun 29, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
It is true that they "sort of" do the same. I have used both side by side and the plasti-dip does not hold up as well and is very noticable.

As far as cost Plasti-dip is cheaper but you get what you pay for. SF is only "very costly" on the initial purchase but remember you get the product, you get a gaff card wallet ($20 value) a dvd with directions and several routines ($30-$40 is what most dvds go for) You get templates for spraying different areas of the card without getting everywhere.You also get a complete Gaff Deck ($15 and a good bit of the gaffs can be used with Bikes) So you are really getting a deal on your first can. You also receive a registration code for "members only" but it also gets you future cans of SF at a big discount. Many see the $100 price tag and look past "the big picture". It just depends on how you look at it. [/quote]

I bought Science Friction a few years ago, never registered. I did not realize you can get a discount on future purchases. For anyone that buys it, definitely keep that information!
Platidip is good but I've not found the same results as I have with science friction.
I’m a science friction guy all over!
The only downside in the UK now is that you cant ship seasons through the royal mail. :(

But Kristan from Card Shark has brought some over for Blackpool in the past.
[quote]On Jul 25, 2018, rowdymagi5 wrote:

I bought Science Friction a few years ago, never registered. I did not realize you can get a discount on future purchases. For anyone that buys it, definitely keep that information! [/quote]

On the cap of the spraycan is a sticker with a code number. That is all you need for the cheeper refill.
Can someone point me to a link or URL to purchase Science Friction?
[quote]On Oct 26, 2018, dscanning wrote:
Can someone point me to a link or URL to purchase Science Friction? [/quote]
http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?lang=en
http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=18&lang=en&detail=true&Category=2&ArtID=178
SF hands down. Great customer service also.
Plastidip is my fav and I have had and tried them all including 2 cans of SF Olly
For the cost of PD you can’t go wrong
I hoped SF worked better for me, have had trouble with it and found that it's reliable only really when hiding a card in a fan. Doubles etc. are way too unreliable. Haven't tried Plasti-dip though.
I use it for doubles all the time. It makes Red Hot Mama look flawless on the double turnovers. Applied and used correctly, SF works exactly like it is supposed to.

[quote]On Dec 12, 2018, Ihmemies wrote:
I hoped SF worked better for me, have had trouble with it and found that it's reliable only really when hiding a card in a fan. Doubles etc. are way too unreliable. Haven't tried Plasti-dip though. [/quote]
That's what I keep hearing. I've played around with SF a lot with no luck and believe I've applied it right. Now its just sitting on the shelf.

[quote]On Dec 16, 2018, Kaliix wrote:
I use it for doubles all the time. It makes Red Hot Mama look flawless on the double turnovers. Applied and used correctly, SF works exactly like it is supposed to.

I hoped SF worked better for me, have had trouble with it and found that it's reliable only really when hiding a card in a fan. Doubles etc. are way too unreliable. Haven't tried Plasti-dip though. [/quote] [/quote]
I'm sure you realize that SF is not that complicated to apply or use. If you've not had any luck after repeated attempts, it might be possible that you got a bad can of spray. Contact cardshark and inquire about a replacement.

[quote]On Dec 17, 2018, Ihmemies wrote:
That's what I keep hearing. I've played around with SF a lot with no luck and believe I've applied it right. Now its just sitting on the shelf.

[quote]On Dec 16, 2018, Kaliix wrote:

I hoped SF worked better for me, have had trouble with it and found that it's reliable only really when hiding a card in a fan. Doubles etc. are way too unreliable. Haven't tried Plasti-dip though. [/quote] [/quote] [/quote]
PD is utter junk compared to SF.

No comparison. Zero.

I was the first USA beta tester of SF upon release. This goofy question care up at that time and was debunked many times back then b
SF is the best I ever tried, hands down
I don't see anywhere on Card-Shark website how you can get refills for Sci-Fri.

Has anyone gone through a can, if so, how many cards/decks did you make?
Science Friction all the way. Amazing stuff !!
Make sure you are using the correct Flexidip:
Rust-oleum
FlexiDip
Gloss top coat
Clear Finish

Works GREAT
[quote]On Jan 31, 2019, Jerry wrote:
I don't see anywhere on Card-Shark website how you can get refills for Sci-Fri.

Has anyone gone through a can, if so, how many cards/decks did you make? [/quote]

http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=83&lang=en&detail=true&Category=14&ArtID=196
SF is the best by far IMO. Does the job perfectly.
[quote]On Apr 2, 2019, dman11 wrote:
http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=83&lang=en&detail=true&Category=14&ArtID=196 [/quote]
Excellent find. I will be bookmarking this. I have always recommend just emailing Christian directly to obtain a refill at the lower cost. As much as I “champion the brand” (Phoenix Cards and Science Frixion over plastidip), I had never seen a direct link to order from. Thanks again for sharing that link.
Can you buy the refill without first having bought the $95 “package”? I suspect the page is in the SF members area.
As I understand, you must be registered to get the refills. You get a registration number when you buy the main product package.
I'm in Australia and am interested in SF. However, Card Shark doesn't ship here as it contains aerosols. Will Penguin be able to do that?
You would have to ask them to be sure. Try the chat with a magician function while they are open and they can answer pretty much right away (in a few minutes anyway). They may be able to. The shipping problem from Card-Shark might be a “Germany issue” on what can and cannot be shipped or it could be that way for everyone. It is certainly worth asking Penguin over chat when they are open.
If you bought Science Friction the can top will have a refill code on it. Stuff works great. Have redone several of my R&S tricks using it.
Is a card treated with science friction really examinable? You can give it away?
It depends on how you define examinable? SF will create a slight dullness to the coating of a standard playing card. That slight dullness can also be felt, as the surface treated with SF will have a rough, ALMOST tacky surface to it. Consequently, if examinable means having someone suspect the card is gimmicked and then giving it to them, they will find the SF. Now if you mean examinable as in having them hold it during a trick when you are performing, so long as they are not looking at it closely, they shouldn't notice anything.

SF is expensive but I imagine you could very lightly treat a card and rub off most of it before handing it out. I doubt anyone would notice anything.

[quote]On Jul 3, 2019, conjurus_maximus wrote:
Is a card treated with science friction really examinable? You can give it away? [/quote]
Sander's Any Card reminds me that if you want to hand out a card, you can still use SF but just use it on a card OTHER than the one you want to hand out. SF will still work and the card to be handed out is clean.

[quote]On Jul 3, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
It depends on how you define examinable? SF will create a slight dullness to the coating of a standard playing card. That slight dullness can also be felt, as the surface treated with SF will have a rough, ALMOST tacky surface to it. Consequently, if examinable means having someone suspect the card is gimmicked and then giving it to them, they will find the SF. Now if you mean examinable as in having them hold it during a trick when you are performing, so long as they are not looking at it closely, they shouldn't notice anything.

SF is expensive but I imagine you could very lightly treat a card and rub off most of it before handing it out. I doubt anyone would notice anything.

[quote]On Jul 3, 2019, conjurus_maximus wrote:
Is a card treated with science friction really examinable? You can give it away? [/quote] [/quote]
[/quote]

Just tried rubbing off Plasti-dip from a card... you can do it, and there doesn't appear to be anything left behind, *BUT* the time/effort needed to do so thoroughly would be rather difficult to cover / work into a routine, and if you don't get it all off, it's probably *more* noticeable.
I agree, that's why I updated my answer to say just treat the other card so no spray on the one you are handing out.

[quote]On Jul 11, 2019, inigmntoya wrote:
[/quote]

Just tried rubbing off Plasti-dip from a card... you can do it, and there doesn't appear to be anything left behind, *BUT* the time/effort needed to do so thoroughly would be rather difficult to cover / work into a routine, and if you don't get it all off, it's probably *more* noticeable. [/quote]
Hello
I broke my wrist and did not recover completely the sensitivity
Would SF help me in basic sleights (double lifts, Elmsley count ...) ?
Thanks
[quote]On Jul 28, 2019, sfleury wrote:
Hello
I broke my wrist and did not recover completely the sensitivity
Would SF help me in basic sleights (double lifts, Elmsley count ...) ?
Thanks [/quote]

In the context of a specific handling of the ambitious card routine, it has the potential to help greatly with DLs -- that's the premise of the Delicious Ambitious product.
I think it would cause more problems than it would cure with an Elmsley count.