(Close Window)
Topic: Split focus Gregory Wilson
Split focus by Gregory Wilson
Looks like a new release from Greg.

"Split Focus has been in my arsenal every day for the last 11 years. Why? It's a guaranteed knockout, feels impromptu and can be performed casually or formally for any size audience, close-up or stand-up."

Anyone heard of this that can comment?
Yes, it's a high impact triple coin appearance and vanish. Gimmicked. I anticipate this will sell well.
This looks pretty great. Like everything else he does, Greg does this so well.

I'd like to know who makes the coins and if the replicas are indeed "premium". I would hope so for $150.

Robert
I purchased Split-Focus in February 2018 at Gregory Wilson's Lecture
Which was just so great, amazing and funny as could be.

I have this with me when I leave the house and am ready to bust out with it.

Well worth the $150.

I think Split-Focus leaves the spectators head spinning when
all 3 coins are Gone Gone Gone. Sometimes they don't know what to say or how to react. (deer in the headlights)

I am not the best coin guy but I do have a personality, I'm kind of funny and can do Split-Focus.

https://thesecretsource.com/gregs-gadgetry/split-focus
This looks great. Being in a non-US country, the routine makes perfect sense. Since I am not familiar with Eisenhower vs replica Morgan, is there an advantage of one over the other (apart from aesthetics)? Mainly in terms of the coin composition itself.
[quote]On Jul 21, 2018, Neznarf wrote:

Well worth the $150.

all 3 coins are Gone Gone Gone. Sometimes they don't know what to say or how to react. (deer in the headlights)

I am not the best coin guy but I do have a personality, I'm kind of funny and can do Split-Focus.

https://thesecretsource.com/gregs-gadgetry/split-focus [/quote]
I watched the video and the effect looks great and interests me. However, I wonder how clean you are using the secret "retrieving/ditching device" at the end of the routine. Seems like your coin could reappear in an unusual location and be visable from a certain angle. Am I wrong on this?
You are right Terry.
Love gregs stuff...in for the morgans
Anyone know if this differs from other sp**t coin gaffs on the market, such as Johnny Wong's Super Triple? That one costs $76.99 at Penguin: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11762

Gregory Wilson's presentation is fun.
[quote]On Jul 21, 2018, Neznarf wrote:

Well worth the $150.

https://thesecretsource.com/gregs-gadgetry/split-focus [/quote]

Neznarf, did you get the Ikeís or the Morgan's?
Do the Morganís appear soft and worn or new and uncirculated?

My first impression was the same as Jerry's, this looks just like a triple split coin routine such as those available from Johnny Wong, John Jurney, Roy Kueppers, etc.
The secret ďretrieving/ditching deviceĒ seems pretty commonplace as well.

I love Greg's stuff but need to know more details about this. Iíd be disappointed to receive a gaff I already own multiple versions of, especially for that price.
I had a '64 Kennedy Super Triple set and I was not very impressed. You could see the outline of the magnet on the tails side if I remember correctly.

Neznarf - Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Greg's set consists of two one-sided heads coins and a double sided coin. So, you can't show the m****t side of two of the coins, which to me is better than having something on the back like a poker chip or an Oriental coin or even a tails side if the outline of the magnet is visible.

Also, how do the Morgan replicas look? Do you know who made them? There are good and bad Morgan replicas.

I'm trying to decide between the Morgan replicas and the Ikes.

Thanks,
Robert
I must have posted right after videoman...

Neznarf - Can you tell us what your coins look like? I've seen very good Morgan replicas (John Jurney) and some pretty bad ones. Did you get the Morgans?

I assume the Ike's are real coins???

Robert
Another vote for the Ike vs Morgan comparison :D
[quote]On Jul 21, 2018, Magicmike221 wrote:

"Split Focus has been in my arsenal every day for the last 11 years. Why? It's a guaranteed knockout, feels impromptu and can be performed casually or formally for any size audience, close-up or stand-up."

Anyone heard of this that can comment? [/quote]

Personally, nothing against Gregory of course, but I don't believe anything could be in the personal arsenal of most commercial magicians for 11 years without releasing it to make some money.
[quote]On Jul 21, 2018, John C wrote:
[quote]On Jul 21, 2018, Magicmike221 wrote:

Anyone heard of this that can comment? [/quote]

Personally, nothing against Gregory of course, but I don't believe anything could be in the personal arsenal of most commercial magicians for 11 years without releasing it to make some money. [/quote]

I respectfully disagree. I worked with Brian Gillis at Buster Muggs in the 80's when he was doing his coin and bill in sweet n low packet.

Best

Steve
This is great. A bit like Eric Jones' Oxy Clean routine which is my personal favorite...though I changed the final vanish to a technique taught in Metal 2...so you could seemingly show your hands empty while not having to ditch.

Eric's uses a WL OxF coin (turtle + dolphin ;)

And now, Im kind of bummed I sold my OxF!

Anyway, you can't go wrong with Greg and his presentation.
It's the routine that looks great - retrieving/copping the coins on the off beat.

I can see that there would be some angle sensitivity where you could not be surrounded, but very cool.
Iím a huge fan of Gregory Wilson (going to see his live show tonight in fact) but TBH the routine doesnít look like anything I would call revolutionary or ground-breaking. And the steal/ditch doesnít seem to be on the offbeat to me, more like on the beat I guess you might say.

Paul Richards had a very nice routine using a triple split coin that had arguably a cleaner and more deceptive vanish at the end.
Sean Goodman has a very nice routine also using his Secret Servante. Eric Jones OxyClean has already been mentioned.
Point is that there are many existing routines which by the nature of them are very similar. It really comes down to personal preference which is ďthe bestĒ.

As much as I love Greg's stuff itís not clear to me that this brings anything new to the table, and for the pricetag on this I would expect it too.
I agree. I hate the Wong triple coins but paul richards steal/ditch using his scrubber gimmick is the best. Gregís routine looks good and is classic Greg.
I love the STC Coin set. Not sure how this differs, have not seen it yet. Wiith a holdout, this routine is easily accomplished with the STC set
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you use any vanish of the last coin, I personally prefer the breast pocket ditch, end clean no angle issues!!
That is the way I do it. Otherwise all it takes is one drop and you potentially lose/damage the set.
Great points and yes any vanish at end of routine will work. As far as beginning , there are other options as well- looks good though .
What's the name of the Paul Richard's trick with the "scrubber" vanish at the end? Is it still available?

Thanks!
Robert
[quote]On Jul 22, 2018, Robert M wrote:
What's the name of the Paul Richard's trick with the "scrubber" vanish at the end? Is it still available?

Thanks!
Robert [/quote]

Shanghai coins and yes itís still available. It has some lovely routines with it. With that you can show three different coins.
I got to see Greg demo this live at a lecture and it is great as with most of the stuff Greg puts out however I prefer JJ's Coin Coalition personally.
[quote]On Jul 22, 2018, rowland wrote:

Shanghai coins and yes itís still available. [/quote]

Where?
Hi Warren tried to send you a pm but your mail box is full
[quote]On Jul 22, 2018, Ray Haining wrote:

Shanghai coins and yes itís still available. [/quote]

Where? [/quote]

The only place you can get them from is Paul Richards himself
Answer to your questions:

I have the Ike Coin.

GW did not have Morgans available back in Feb. 2018 when I purchased it
for $150.

Some of what I read is true and some is way off.

Other questions should be asked and sent to Gregory email which I sure you
can get from the link for the Split Focus Demo.

Like Martha Stewart says "It A Good Thing"
Yes, this is indeed another version of Johnny Wong's super triple. However the price difference comes from thw ditching gimmick that isn't what most assume it to be. Or it is but it is actually disguised as a natural object or at least if you are from Usa. Europeans kow what it is but in all honesty I have never seen anyone use one in europe. The gimmick is still something quite natural and it allows you to carry the routine with you among your everyday stuff. But that said I didn't buy this since I already had STC for 80Ä.
[quote]On Jul 22, 2018, Robert M wrote:

Thanks!
Robert [/quote]

Shanghai coins and yes itís still available. It has some lovely routines with it. With that you can show three different coins. [/quote]

You have to get it direct from Paul, At a lecture. In person.
I emailed him and thatís the only way he sells it.

Mike
Greg, Thank You for the new routine to use with my STC. I already have ditch methods so this will be a fun routine for sure. For those that don't have a Super Triple Coin or prefer a larger coin Greg's set should be tops for you.
Any clothing restrictions or preferances for the ditch gimmick.
I "speculate" a back of pants pocket. ;)
[quote]On Jul 23, 2018, takeachance wrote:
Any clothing restrictions or preferances for the ditch gimmick. [/quote]

I think Greg's performance shows it all.
Long sleeve, long length sweater not required.
Another total winner from Greg! Beautifully made with a excellent routine!

[quote]On Jul 22, 2018, Daren wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you use any vanish of the last coin, I personally prefer the breast pocket ditch, end clean no angle issues!! [/quote]
Greg showed me the seeds of this last year during the Providence Penguin lecture. I will attest that this has come a long way since then. As usual, he's worked this into a baffling real-world 'worker' that will astound audiences. I took the plunge even though I already own the required coins.
I really wish that when a product such as this comes out where many would already have the "required set" or one that will do virtually the same thing, there could be an "Instructions only video" at a discounted price. I'm sure the set is most of the cost here. Whatever "gimmick" is used to produce and ditch (which seems like another thing most have) could be sold separately to those who may need it. This is certainly not a "Gregory Wilson specific thing". This is a way of producing an effect with common (so to speak in this case) gimmicks that is becoming way to common. This is along the same lines as these new OOTW effects that you must buy a new gaff deck with (even though you have 3 in your drawer).

I really love almost everything Greg touches. His teaching is tops and even his lessons on the psychology and/or theory behind each move goes miles beyond most others. I already have 2 or 3 sets of coins that could be used to accomplish the same thing (each costing about $100 +++ between clad and real silver sets) I will have to stay away from this one based on cost alone.
You know it PD but unfortunately these combination prop/videos is how Greg makes the most money.
I've never done any coin magic. Is this set a good place to start?
Thanks!
I endorse sets like these. However, I would suggest a book on the basics of coin magic as the starting point. You still need the basics of coin magic regardless of any props or coin sets you buy. Then I would recommend getting these sets. At 1st- get the books or videos then simply carry some everyday coins with you. Then grow into these type of coins -
^ agree whole heartedly with the above. A solid foundation is always best. That said, if your just looking to do this effect/routine, and not get completely steeped in coin work, you should be able to pull it off pretty easily with what's provided. Like the copy said, it's mainly a false transfer and the coins do the rest.

While I don't have this set, Gregg's teaching is always top notch. And I' sure he will give you plenty of training and options on the moves needed. And how to do it right. From there...it's practice practice practice.

If anything, this could be a good gateway into learning more coin effects/techniques.
Does anyone know how the instructional portion is delivered?

Unfortunately if its DVD I'm out.
I have now watched the video.
The whole routine as shown in the demo video by Gregory Wilson can also be performed with John Jurneyīs Coin Coalition.

Darko
[quote]On Jul 25, 2018, dj wrote:
I have now watched the video.
The whole routine as shown in the demo video by Gregory Wilson can also be performed with John Jurneyīs Coin Coalition.

Darko [/quote]
And to the point of my last post. I would gladly buy a video only to support Gregory, but I already have a few sets that would work in half dollar and dollar size (including the JJ set).
When my house was recently burglarized, all my magic coins effects were stolen. Split Focus seems like a good start in rebuilding my arsenal. I'm sure placing the order will make me feel better. I'll post a review.
Sorry that happened to you. Terrible.
I have had coin props stolen too. I am very sorry that you experienced that.

[quote]On Jul 25, 2018, JasonL2112 wrote:

Unfortunately if its DVD I'm out. [/quote]

It is provided by streaming video.

[quote]On Jul 25, 2018, RodrigoGrando wrote:
I've never done any coin magic. Is this set a good place to start?
Thanks! [/quote]

In addition to picking up some basic coin teaching; Jay's video would be a great choice,
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1581
You will also like Greg's, On the Spot teachings which has some fantastic non-gimmicked coin effects too along with other types of tasty material.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1754
Thank you for that. Ordered. :)

[quote]On Jul 26, 2018, EZrhythm wrote:

[quote]On Jul 25, 2018, JasonL2112 wrote:

Unfortunately if its DVD I'm out. [/quote]

It is provided by streaming video.
[/quote]
I second what has been said about offering only the instruction for these offerings. Even if I had to pay a premium price of $40 for the teaching alone it would still be advantageous compared to spending $157 with the shipping added. Peddling duplicate props on the Cafť after the fact is starting to get old. I don't expect these coins to be any better quality than JJ's fabulous set.
Iíll third that. Plus you have the added issue of waiting. I have the props. Several in fact. What I want is Gregís instructions. So I have to wait for shipping and delivery.
Btw, anyone know when they will be shipped?
If you/ we have the necessary props then instructions really not necessary- sure tips and advice is always good but the routine shown on the demo is what it is.
Hmmm. Iíve found that Gregís reasons for how he does something are sometimes more important than what he does. Yeah I can do the routine as shown but ...
Besides Iíll pay the man for his routine even tho I donít need another gaff set of coins. Keeps my karma clean.
Anyone in the UK selling this as it comes out at $177 with shipping to the UK then I suppose we will get hit with import taxes on top?
Besides I owe him. Iíve always been a fan so when I read about his recent heart issues it occurred to me that my ticker wasnít quite right. Sure enough I was hospitalized and had an angioplasty complete with three stens. I was 220 pounds. Now Iím 175.
So I do kinda owe him.
But enough of that. Does anyone know when these will be shipped?
Wow ! Point noted and yea man- take care of yourself. Thatís significant weight loss but Iím certain you are better off.
Dan, CONGRATULATIONS on your recovery and wellness! :cheers:

Greg knows that many have the coins already but I believe he wants to limit the sharing of the video by making it streaming only and only offering it with the coins. This is most likely why he releases effects with specialty props and streaming instructions together at a premium price.
Has anyone who ordered received shipping confirmation or links to the streaming video yet?

Greg may want to take the caps off of "Ships IMMEDIATELY". :)
No not yet, I orderd on Monday and I have not heard anything yet.
[quote]On Jul 27, 2018, JasonL2112 wrote:
Has anyone who ordered received shipping confirmation or links to the streaming video yet?

Greg may want to take the caps off of "Ships IMMEDIATELY". :) [/quote]

it does ship immediately....i sent an email asking about it and mine shipped the day I ordered it and they said that I would probably receive it before they got the tracking stuff sorted out...but either way I think we will get an email with tracking once they get that sorted
That's good news, appreciate the post. I wasn't going to bother them until next week. Saved myself and their staff some time. :bg:

[quote]On Jul 27, 2018, Magicalos wrote:

it does ship immediately....i sent an email asking about it and mine shipped the day I ordered it and they said that I would probably receive it before they got the tracking stuff sorted out...but either way I think we will get an email with tracking once they get that sorted [/quote]
I received mine today. I originally ordered the Morgan's but then changed my mind and sent Greg an email asking him to change my order to the Eisenhower. Anyway, I got the Morgan's which is okay I suppose since I already have JJ's version. BUT the bigger issue is that I cannot access the instructional tutorial. I put in the code that came with it and got a message back saying that I've already used the code. I sent Gregory and email and hoping he responds back to sort this out.
Received mine today as well.
Yes, I wish Greg would get rid of that funky system he has where the code is locked to your email and all that.
You should be able to resell an item if you desire without having to jump through hoops.

Jared, do the Morgan's look new or soft?
How would you rate their quality?
Would you have rather received the Ike's?
Yes please give an update on the coins, quality , functionality and the extra included piece with this set. Thx
The Morganís look okay. Not Ďsoftí and certainly not new. JJís coins are better quality but the addition of Teflon is nice for Gregís routine. The website password thing stinks and I think I have two accounts now...itís a mess considering I bought all his downloads before.
I bought all Gregís downloads before as well but they seemed to have disappeared with the new website and I donít have them on my computer. I sent quite a few emails over several months time and never heard anything. I sort of gave up
Fancy that...it arrived today...figures..i talk about its shipping and it arrives same day lol...opening now ill try to review in a bit

edit: review may be on hold my code to get to the videos doesn't work...awaiting to hear back from support
Mine arrived today as well.
Mine arrives today as well however I cannot access the videos the code says itís invalid or being used by another user very frustrating the gimmick I have is the Eisenhower dollars very well made itís a beautiful gaff top quality
Bingo, exactly why video tutorials sold with tricks should be dowloads.

[quote]On Jul 27, 2018, Xcath1 wrote:
I bought all Gregís downloads before as well but they seemed to have disappeared with the new website and I donít have them on my computer. I sent quite a few emails over several months time and never heard anything. I sort of gave up [/quote]
[quote]On Jul 27, 2018, Jared wrote:
The Morganís look okay. Not Ďsoftí and certainly not new. JJís coins are better quality but the addition of Teflon is nice for Gregís routine. The website password thing stinks and I think I have two accounts now...itís a mess considering I bought all his downloads before. [/quote]

JJ's coins also come with teflon if you wanted to use teflon although to be honest I've never bothered with the teflon as JJ's coins a quiet enough without.
Teflon helps if you show wrong side because it kind of blends in and looks like silver coin.
Anybody hear from Greg.
[quote]On Jul 27, 2018, videoman wrote:
Yes, I wish Greg would get rid of that funky system he has where the code is locked to your email and all that.
You should be able to resell an item if you desire without having to jump through hoops.
[/quote]

This appears to be Greg's way of limiting the ability to copy and share videos.
What people were doing with Rubicon when they wanted to sell it or just access the instructions quicker was to record the videos with a screen capture recording program.

[quote]On Jul 28, 2018, Kaliix wrote:
[/quote]

Agreed!
Which is exactly what I would do if faced with that situation. There is no way I am going to rely on the goodness of someone's heart to keep a website up and running. The myriad of dead links in my favorites attest to how frequently they disappear.

[quote]On Jul 28, 2018, EZrhythm wrote:

This appears to be Greg's way of limiting the ability to copy and share videos.
What people were doing with Rubicon when they wanted to sell it or just access the instructions quicker was to record the videos with a screen capture recording program.

[quote]On Jul 28, 2018, Kaliix wrote:
[/quote]

Agreed! [/quote]
I sent Gregory a second email through the portal on his website but haven't heard back from him yet.
Got an email with a proper code was able to access the video now its time to get the routine down
Yes, they sent out an email early this morning with a new code, so they obviously recognize there is a problem. I contacted them yesterday and got a new code that actually worked from Brad after having to create a new account and getting error messages that my email address and password were invalid.

The instructional video is very good. This is something I will probably do even though I'm not a big coin guy. But, I was a little disheartened by the look of the coins when I received them. I think they're very good replicas, but they were very dirty around the edges as if someone intentionally did it to make them look more realistic. I could be wrong.

Anyway, I polished them up and 99% of the dirt is gone and they look beautiful! I'm very happy with my purchase!

Robert
I also received the new code and learned the routine yesterday...I absolutely LOVE this! This is exactly the kind of routine that sizzles when used as an 'opener' in strolling and table-hopping situations. It checks all the boxes: (1) Very quick (runs only about 1-minute), (2)high impact and visual (3)extremely deceptive (laypersons don't stand a chance), (4) instant reset and (5) starts and ends CLEAN!
Can anyone comment on the quality of the Ike's?
Ike's look good and work perfect.
Thanks Neznarf!
How are the angles? Do spec's need to be directly in front
As much as I am a huge fan of Greg Wilson Iím not getting why folks who already own 1 or more sets of these coins are spending $150 just for Greg's routine. Or buying this set when you can get something like JJ's Coin Coalition for much cheaper. Iím all for supporting the creator but I donít see anything new here. It seems like people are under the GW spell.

It appears to be a pretty basic routine to me. I mean I like it fine but I wouldnít spend $150 just for it if I already owned the coins. Not to mention that the double-sided sets allow you to do so much more with them. Even if you donít want to use the double sided feature right now, itís nice to have that option in the future.
I cant imagine what kind of a routine were you doing with these coins before you got Greg's routine?

If you check out Sean Goodman's routine in the trick coin forum, now thereís a routine I could see buying.
But again, this one by Greg is like Split Coin 101. Just about the most basic routine you can do with them it seems to me.
Totally agree- GW is an awesome performer. The routine as is is basic, entertaining but basic. Unless the coin set and gimmicks were extraordinary, the $ is a bit steep.
I asked basic questions hoping there was some sort of new approach to the ditch/retieval being used. The coins, well, if you didn't have the required then it would be worth the package asking price. But if there is no improvement in the ditch/retrieval and you have the coins all that is left is Greg's brillant handling. This makes it hard to justify spending the asking price for many. Really for me, between a rock and a hard place LOL!
I agree, go with the JJ set and have the option of using the poker chip side.

The quality is top notch and its a far better price. Plus Johns a great guy.
The JJ set is amazing, combine that with Greg's phenomenal routine and you have a lot of amazement at the low price of $250...
If many people already have the gimmicked coins to do this routine, then why aren't you? It seems like some magicians here say the Wilson routine is pretty basic as it is, so I wouldn't think most magicians, if they use the STC? gaff, have something similar.

Btw, you just cost me a $150 Jared. I never been steered wrong by any thing you've recommended, so now I'm going to have to get this. LOL!

I hope this gaff will allow for other routines...
"Btw, you just cost me a $150 Jared. I never been steered wrong by any thing you've recommended, so now I'm going to have to get this. LOL!"

Hi Kaliix, I've been known to have helped spend the budgets of MANY magicians :) But seriously, what it almost always boils down to is whether I will actually USE the effect and get value from it. I don't mind paying for a great routine that somebody else put hard work into. I own JJ's Coin Coalition and the supplied routine was very good but it was too lengthy for strolling. I was planning to eventually edit it to suit my own requirements but haven't gotten around to it yet. Likewise, I could have constructed a routine similar to Greg's but to this point I hadn't done so and I've owned JJ's coins for over a year.

Someday, I might share some of my own original creations to the community including my prized lottery routine (closer) but believe me, I know how much work went it to creating it and refining it over the years. So, paying 'extra' to receive a polished routine that you WILL use is worth it for many of us. Perhaps I'm in the minority about saying this, but creativity has real-value.
This is my shortened down coin coalition routine obviously I would be standing when performing this and produce the coin to begin with https://youtu.be/JP_FhReKvTc
Daren, that's a really nice variation of JJ's. You might want to throw-in Greg's 'toss move' in the beginning to show the singularity of the coin. You executed all of the change-moves beautifully...I knew they were coming but yet I was STILL fooled! LOL For the last vanish of the coin there's obviously a lot of options to choose from, but I do prefer using the magnetic holdout instead of going near the pockets to ditch. Either way, it was an excellent routine and very WELL-DONE!
Yeah will use the production of Gregís going forward and the last vanish will ditch as per gregs routine also, so combination of the two routines
I'm definitely going to use your routining for inspiration. Thank you for sharing!
Happy for you to use what I have put together I just omitted I think the eating part and one of the coins across phases, I just wanted it more streamlined and I think it works great now so perfect length for strolling lasts about 1 minute
Still no sign of tracking info or delivery for mine yet for what its worth. Ordered middle of last week so hopefully it'll show soon.

Since some seem to like to understand why others spend their money, I personally don't do a ton of coin work and don't have a similar set. While I've heard great things about the JJ set, I don't really like / have a need for the flip side of the coin so Greg's is really all I need.

To me, its really a perfect routine. Quick, hard hitting, and easy enough to believe that its all in the hands without additional heat on the coins themselves. Introducing the complete different flip-side of the coins IMO doesn't add THAT much to the routine, but does put more heat on the coins themselves.

By the time they even have a chance to really burn what's going on in this routine, all of the dirty work is done and you're clean. Really looking forward to receiving and getting some time in with the set.
A quite-the-fun way to add a moment before the last ditch is to slide it under your watch but let it stick out. Show your open hand empty and turn your wrist to show the back side and then again to show the palm in one fluid motion. Wait for the specs reaction, if they saw the coin. Then use Greg's line, "Oh, THAT thing", take the coin and perform the final ditch.
Greg is smart about the market. Split coins have been around for quite a while. Greg has had several routines like this that uses a shell and two coins, Josh Jay has one with a shell and a flipper and then moved to a single coin and two nesting shells . A split coin is kind of a nataural progression of simplicity, pocket space, ease of use, durabilty and so on.
I did not have a coin set like this, love coin magic but not a coin expert, and really like Gregory Wilson.
This was an easy purchase. I was not disappointed, but as was mentioned, there's dirt around the front and back edges; I need to clean up the coins a bit...
Sent a note to Greg yesterday and got a response last night regarding mine (ordered last week). He was out of town and they should have shipped yesterday. Hopefully have these puppies in hand early next week.
I was on the fence about this. First, I'm not really a coin guy and second, as others have said, If you have the coins. you can learn the routine from watching the demo. But it is G. Wilson and I've never been disappointed with his stuff. I took the bait and glad I did. First you get all the little ins and outs on the download that sell the effect and second the coins (I got Ike's cause Morgans are unusual and since most people have never seen, they can draw undue attention - "can I see one of those coins?" - I've had it happen.) are very well made. It's a tad pricey but hey, it's something you can carry in your pocket and, with minimal skill, look like you're way better than you really are any place any time.
[quote]On Aug 12, 2018, nornando wrote:
(I got Ike's cause Morgans are unusual and since most people have never seen, they can draw undue attention - "can I see one of those coins?" - I've had it happen.) are very well made. [/quote]

That is why I carry a real coin too for other effects, sometimes teaching them the -disappearing coin from the folded pant leg- trick.
For guys who enjoy performing both mentalism and sleight of hand magic the BLINK wallet by Looch serves as the perfect holdout! Those who own it will understand my comment. Just place the wallet into your back pocket with the correct orientation :)
[quote]On Aug 12, 2018, nornando wrote:
I got Ike's cause Morgans are unusual and since most people have never seen, they can draw undue attention - "can I see one of those coins?" - I've had it happen.[/quote]
"Most" people, who have never seen a Morgan, have "probably" never seen an Ike either. At least that has been my experience. They know Halves and silver dollars "exist" but have not seen or held one before. I always introduce my coins beforehand as "my grandpa's coins he left me" or I started collecting silver instead of investing in an IRA because I can write off my investments as "work related expenses". Sometimes I hand one out to one person but usually do not have an issue. To me, it is like a stage magician introducing his "lovely assistant". No one wants to question her about how much "magic training" she has. They accept that the assistant or the props are there and now will do their thing under your control.
Well stated PD, well stated! :applause:
So, I read the coins aren't "soft"... but was wondering if anyone can tell me if the Morgans in this set are 1921 or pre-1904 coins?
I did send Greg a message, but was wondering if perhaps someone here may know the answer...

Thanks.
Mine are 1899 and 1904.

Robert
Why does the date matter, they're replicas?
[quote]On Aug 20, 2018, Xcath1 wrote:
Why does the date matter, they're replicas? [/quote]

Itís mostly to see if theyíll match my current sets, including my replica Morganís. Not sure why thereís any harm in asking?

All th best,
Steve
[quote]On Aug 20, 2018, Robert M wrote:
Mine are 1899 and 1904.

Robert [/quote]

Being replicas I'm surprised that the dates are not the same. But kind of nice that they aren't although it really doesn't matter one or the other.
No harm at all, I was curious what effect it would have on their appearance. I also think of Morgans as 1921s vs the earlier issues in terms of cosmetic appearance. I didn't know if all replicas looked the same no matter their date stamp.
[quote]On Aug 20, 2018, Robert M wrote:
Mine are 1899 and 1904.

Robert [/quote]

Thank you for letting us know.

I wish they showed the coins on the sales page of this product...

/Steve
Anyone have any photos of this in a Morgan? If so could you share a photo of it? Just curious as to how the coin looks (in terms of relief / finish)... haven't received a reply to the email I sent to them about it so figured I'd ask here.
Really Like the routine but I like many others here already have a very similar set, so for me its too much money. just my two cents
I am a big fan of Greg Wilson and this is something I wish I had picked up at his lecture a few months ago. Just received my set in the mail and spent the day enjoying the wonderful prop and straight forward but deceptive routining Greg shares.
I sometimes think people don't appreciate the beauty of simplicity. Greg's moves are so economical and natural that the routine is near perfect. I can't wait to try this out, but have some work to do before it is ready. Bravo Greg, Another beautiful release.
[quote]On Aug 22, 2018, EobardT wrote:
Really Like the routine but I like many others here already have a very similar set, so for me its too much money. just my two cents [/quote]
So for that reason... I'm out.
[quote]On Sep 3, 2018, einhorn wrote:
I am a big fan of Greg Wilson and this is something I wish I had picked up at his lecture a few months ago. Just received my set in the mail and spent the day enjoying the wonderful prop and straight forward but deceptive routining Greg shares.
I sometimes think people don't appreciate the beauty of simplicity. Greg's moves are so economical and natural that the routine is near perfect. I can't wait to try this out, but have some work to do before it is ready. Bravo Greg, Another beautiful release. [/quote]

I recently picked it up from one of Gregs lectures. I too like his work and feel it is incredibly natural. I love his thinking and his work. So I would probably buy a lump of dog poo off him if he had a good natural looking routine for it. I mean what can be more organic than poo?
I can just see it now; Greg releases-

Stink No Stink Poo
Coffee House Constipation
Pyrotechnic Poo
On the sPotty
[quote]On Aug 18, 2018, Jared wrote:
For guys who enjoy performing both mentalism and sleight of hand magic the BLINK wallet by Looch serves as the perfect holdout! Those who own it will understand my comment. Just place the wallet into your back pocket with the correct orientation :) [/quote]

Have you passed the idea on to Looch? He may kick off at you doing magic rather than mentalism (I jest) but he may like the idea and put it on the instruction page. And it could have other used with other items.
I have not but my Blink holdout idea isn't limited to magic. It can just as easily be adapted to mentalism as well.
So I received this, practiced it and performed it a bit at a charity gig this weekend. It went over really (although I kid you not, the very first person I performed it for said, "magnetic coins...?" almost immediately after the second coin appeared).

I found that the included money clip actually was a little too strong and gave me problems when trying to access the gimmick, particularly in dress pants. Luckily I recently purchased RnT's full metal hot rod set which came with it's own holdout. I've taken to using that one with split focus as the strength is more suitable for easy access.

I imagine that if I still did paid walk around, I would start from the sleeve instead of the method taught on the download, sorry, streaming video explanation.
Whatís going on guys, Tony here,

So I received Gregís Split Focus 2 weeks ago and I wanted to give everybody a run down of my thoughts about the whole package and answer some questions Iíve seen several of you have been asking. Weíre going to dive right in to the question Iíve seen most frequently, the quality of the coins.

COIN QUALITY- I want to start this off by saying that before deciding to purchase this set, I gave Greg a call and spoke with him personally. Where he was able to answer some of my questions and concerns. The quality of these coins are not good..... theyíre fantastic!! I personally purchased the replica Morgan set and have nothing but good things to say about them. I wouldnít call myself a coin enthusiast, but with close up magic being my full time job, I feel like I can have a say on the topic of quality, as I own sets from the big guys such as Todd Lassen and Jamie Schoolcraft, as well as some ďmore affordableĒ sets and gimmicks from other companyís such as Johnson and Tango. The first thing I did upon receiving these was hold them up to one of my Morganís from my Schoolcraft set to try to find any differences or discrepancies in the replica from Greg, and there were in fact None. Iíve had some pretty bad replica Morganís in the past( like the illusion coins set, for anyone who remembers that) but I can say that these are top notch, and weíre it not for the extreamly affordable price tag and Greg labeling the fact they are replicas, I would have passed the coins as being made from genuine Morgans. The coins you will receive are the EXACT same coins that Greg uses to perform this routine on a daily basis, and be real with yourself- if they are good enough for him to use, then theyíre good enough for the rest of us. I have uploaded a picture for you to see exactly what you will be receiving.

INSTRUCTION DOWNLOAD- upon receiving your new set of coins, you with also get a link to the instructional download where Greg will teach you everything you need to know about these coins. The whole download is exactly 26 minutes where He goes into the history of the coins, how he came up with the idea for the routine, several different handlings and routines- some using all 3 coins, some only using 2. So you will be able to walk away from that download with options, which is always nice. The download is shot with a Murphyís magic quality to it, with a very clear camera, straight on and over the shoulder shots, Greg is clearly micíed with no crazy music playing the the background to distract from the teaching. All in all, the teaching ranks up with the rating I gave the coins which is 10 out of 10.

From playing around with this routine for the last 2 weeks I want to say that once you learn the initial routine, you can change up anything you want. The coin can be produced( and vanished) in anyway you would like- tho I do believe the way Greg has routined it is going to be the easiest and cleanest way to go about things with this. But again, the option is there for those who are stuck on certain slights they already feel comfortable with.

And the last thing I would like to touch on doesnít have anything to do with what you will be receiving but is my attempt to answer another frequently asked question, which is
ďWhy didnít Greg offer a download only option for people who already have a similar coin setĒ. And before I go any further I want to state boldly that my answer is STRICTLY OPINION. I feel like I needed to say that since so many people on the Cafť like to start keyboard wars over opinions they view as wrong. So please take this with a grain of salt-
The Magic industry is a business. It is here to help magicians like us become better, yes, but it also exists to make money. With magic being intellectual property, a big selling point for companyís is in the gimmick. And in this case, it is a gimmick that has been extreamly well produced and one that I donít believe enough people already own to make it sensible to release as a download option only. The gimmick isnít a ďstandardĒ coin gimmick that many of us already have such as a shell or a flipper. It is alittle more specialized than that- tho I do understand there may be some out there that do have a similar gimmick, especially if they are Johnny Wong fans. For me it really all comes down to supporting an artist. The best comparison I can come up with is the music industry. With illegally downloading songs so prevalent or even just going to YouTube to listen to them these days why would you bother to even buy the CD...and the answer is to make a statement. To make the statement that you support them as an artist and you would like to see or hear more work from them, knowing that the purchase youíre making is going to that. For me, it is the same idea in this situation. I like Greg as an artist. I use not one, but several of his routines in my professional close up routine, which helps me pay my bills- so I have no problem helping him pay his. Again, take that last part however you want( constructively I hope) and do yourself a favor if youíve been thinking of getting these coins and make the jump to add a beautiful piece of magic into your arsenal!
I do this all the time. Always have it with me.

I found the instruction vid a little confusing.

I guess that's just me.

So I do it differently but it all comes out in the wash.

Like Martha Stewart says: It's a good thing

Still getting great reactions.
What 11 said was pretty spot on, with the exception of the instructional video. The video is good, but not great. The production quality is excellent and Greg does teach you different routines and options for the gimmick, but there was no script for the video. It is just Greg teaching you something off the top of his head. This mostly goes well, but there are times where things get confusing and Greg goes on a tangent before eventually circling back. I just sellers would put a bit more effort into scripting their explanations before recording them.

[quote]On Nov 2, 2018, Neznarf wrote:
I do this all the time. Always have it with me.

I found the instruction vid a little confusing.

I guess that's just me.

So I do it differently but it all comes out in the wash.

Like Martha Stewart says: It's a good thing

Still getting great reactions. [/quote]
[quote]On Nov 2, 2018, iamoneamongeleven wrote:
. [/quote]

Where is the photo you said you included?
Would love to see the replica Morganís.
Great set and I received excellent service from Greg when I contacted him. Not really a coinguy myself but this had me polish a few slights and inspired me to pick it up again. Love it!
Iíve tried uploading the photo several times and it seems like itís not letting me. Anyone else have this problem? My apologies for my ignorance on the situation.
Looks like I would have to buy a set for myself. The question is how does the replica Morgan set look?!? Can someone post photo here? Thanks
[quote]On Jan 8, 2019, Why.So.Serious? wrote:
Looks like I would have to buy a set for myself. The question is how does the replica Morgan set look?!? Can someone post photo here? Thanks [/quote]

The lighting isn't great, but you get the idea. I cleaned them up a bit because I'm trying to find matching (year) real morgans.
https://imgur.com/a/PsokLOV
[quote]On Jan 8, 2019, gamma105 wrote:
I'm trying to find matching (year) real morgans.
[/quote]

Why do the years need to match?
Specs cannot look that closely at your gaffs.
[quote]On Jan 8, 2019, videoman wrote:

Why do the years need to match?
Specs cannot look that closely at your gaffs. [/quote]

Omg you are right, what the hell was I thinking?! Thank you!
Excellent routine for a great gimmick.

Looking at the early voting, this has no chance, but Split Focus will get my vote for trick of the year.
I received this recently, and watching his video triggered an idea for me. Frequently, when performing, I am surrounded on three sides. A coin on my butt would be noticeable. However, the holdout that is included perfectly fits on my belt. I wear a phone case on my belt, so I put the holdout directly behind my phone case. He doesn't talk about this handling at all, but if you get this, it will make sense why it could work on your belt.

Also, I always love Greg's handling. Simple but powerful. Most of my coin routines are with ungimmicked regular circulation coins (quarters, pennies..), but I like this so much that I'm going to work on a routine with this set.

I already have the Wong Triple coin set, but I am so glad I got this as I love the holdout and my new method of using it.

KJ
I worked out my routine, and now I'm not using the holdout any more. Oh well. Also, I prefer to never show more than one coin. I find that the routine is much stronger for both regular audiences and audiences with amateur magicians. In any audience at a magic show, there are going to be amateur magicians, of all ages and some of them are going to want to yell out the method if they think they know it. My routine goes far to eliminate that problem.

Some years ago, I developed a really cool coin pouch that may one day be available to the magic community. It allows me to dump a coin into their hand, showing the pouch empty and then secretly switching that coin for another. People often think of Quiver when I describe this, but it is different. With Quiver, you have to put the coin back in the pouch, then dump out the switch coin. With this, you dump out the regular coin into their hand and you can secretly remove and switch a gimmicked coin. There are several routines I do with this device.

So, here is my routine:

I remove the coin pouch and openly show my otherwise empty hands and say "This is an illusion with a single coin". I dump the ungimmicked silver dollar in their hand and show the pouch is empty. They examine the coin and hand it back to me. The pouch goes in my pocket (after the switch), and in my pocket, the regular coin goes back into the pouch. My hand comes out empty. Still just one coin.

I then make the coin "turn invisible" by holding it in thumb palm as I pretend to rub the coin in my palm. In this sequence I use the thumb pinch and Ramsey subtlety.

I then "show" how the coin becomes invisible by doing the move where you make an "ok" symbol with your left hand and the right hand pinches the coin and you give them an "inside" view as you pass the coin through the "eye" and it disappears as you do so. I don't know if this move has a name.

I then steal one of the coins and place the other two on my palm, close my hand, and make the coin appear to come through my hand. The coin goes into my pocket (and back into the secret compartment) and I come out and show my hand empty. When I do this, I show both sides of my hand in just a slightly unusual way. Even for magicians, this makes it seem like maybe there is slight of hand involved.

Next, I pretend to do the sequence again, but I do a false transfer and pretend to pull the coin from my hand, then show my hand is really empty. Then I steal away one of the coins and put it in my pocket and back into the pouch. My hand comes out empty again and the coin is produced again.

By the way, my pouch prevents any unwanted clicking of the magnetic coins coming together.

I then place the last coin in my pocket and into the pouch. At this point, I am reset. I like to follow this up by taking the coin pouch back out of my pocket and doing a routine that involves them flipping the regular silver dollar, or with a slightly gimmicked "regular" coin where the gimmick will never be noticed, I can tell if the coin falls heads up or tails up with my back turned.

If anyone wants to know more about the pouch, send me a PM.

KJ
KJ your switch pouch certainly has my interest :)
Be weary of using the hold out while practicing...I dropped it a few times and the tails side magnet part cracked and chipped off under the Teflon. I emailed Greg and he said that a replacement for each part of the gimmick is $40 each. He also said to send pics of the others so he could match it the best he could. A plus on the custom preferences if you choose to buy the whole set and ask him to match any duplicate real coins you have, but personally I wish $25-$30 would be more friendly since you've already purchased the product. Also I like the belt concept. Thanks for sharing
I am curious how you managed to drop the coin when using the holdout. I ask because I found the hold out in included with the coins to be too strong. I had problems smoothly removing the coin from the holdout. I've been using another mag***** hold out that was less strong but at Daniel Garcia's recent lecture, he was selling his own holdout which is actually the perfect strength.

Anyone else find the included hold out too strong?

[quote]On Mar 27, 2019, Nick Lande wrote:
Be weary of using the hold out while practicing...I dropped it a few times and the tails side magnet part cracked and chipped off under the Teflon. I emailed Greg and he said that a replacement for each part of the gimmick is $40 each. He also said to send pics of the others so he could match it the best he could. A plus on the custom preferences if you choose to buy the whole set and ask him to match any duplicate real coins you have, but personally I wish $25-$30 would be more friendly since you've already purchased the product. Also I like the belt concept. Thanks for sharing [/quote]
[quote]On Mar 28, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
I am curious how you managed to drop the coin when using the holdout. I ask because I found the hold out in included with the coins to be too strong. I had problems smoothly removing the coin from the holdout. I've been using another mag***** hold out that was less strong but at Daniel Garcia's recent lecture, he was selling his own holdout which is actually the perfect strength.

Be weary of using the hold out while practicing...I dropped it a few times and the tails side magnet part cracked and chipped off under the Teflon. I emailed Greg and he said that a replacement for each part of the gimmick is $40 each. He also said to send pics of the others so he could match it the best he could. A plus on the custom preferences if you choose to buy the whole set and ask him to match any duplicate real coins you have, but personally I wish $25-$30 would be more friendly since you've already purchased the product. Also I like the belt concept. Thanks for sharing [/quote] [/quote]

I don't find the holdout to be too strong. I'm comforted that when I have the coin there it isn't going anywhere, so yes, strong, but in a good way. I can pull the coins off easily enough. (On a side-note, I also have Sankey's 'Devil's Tail' for which the holdout will be quite useful.) You could easily drop a coin if you accidentally reverse the polarity and try to place the wrong side on it. I've done that, but I was practicing on carpet, so no damage.

Like others, I also found the video to be very confusing. The pace is very fast and Greg goes off in many different directions, so it's a task to follow. It took many, many repeated viewings to get the concepts down and fully understand the changes. At one point there is also an editing error which doesn't help. All that said, I love Greg's presentation / routine and the trick is simply fantastic. Coins are very well made and the perfect polarity to make performing the trick easy.
Are there any routines Split Focus can do that Coin Coalition can't?
[quote]On Mar 28, 2019, Kaliix wrote:

Be weary of using the hold out while practicing...I dropped it a few times and the tails side magnet part cracked and chipped off under the Teflon. I emailed Greg and he said that a replacement for each part of the gimmick is $40 each. He also said to send pics of the others so he could match it the best he could. A plus on the custom preferences if you choose to buy the whole set and ask him to match any duplicate real coins you have, but personally I wish $25-$30 would be more friendly since you've already purchased the product. Also I like the belt concept. Thanks for sharing [/quote] [/quote]

I happen to, unfortunately, have the coin catch a seam on my jeans and I have taken a little too much faith in the magnet placement of the holdout. Belt method seems like it can work better, especially with a longer shirt. I just didn't think that the magnet could be that fragile within a coin! Could be misuse or a thing to get around with the method that Greg gave us. I'm still awaiting on the "updated techniques" that he promised will be on the new videos.
[quote]On May 6, 2019, prankmonster wrote:
Are there any routines Split Focus can do that Coin Coalition can't? [/quote]

As Greg said there should be more routines further in the year for Split focus. I've looked at Coin coalition
And can see that there is an opening for more routines since you can possibly pass off the other side of the gimmick (if you're confident). The
M****t seem to be more durable then Split focus. I have yet to get CC but I'm just judging from a glance if you were to drop it. If you're shooting for good
Replica Morgan's, I'd go for Split focus, it has a better color contrast. I am considering on purchasing CC to compare and eventually have an Ike set.
UPDATE: I spoke with Greg on the phone. I told him the issues with the m****t separating from the s***l. He said a full replacement would be in order since 1 in every 200 gimmicks were not adhered properly due to oil. I used Gorilla glue this time while washing it with dish soap to rid of the oil. Time will tell how this holds up. Great customer service from Greg though!
So he gave you a full replacement AND you fixed the coin?
He potentially fixed it, only time will tell!