(Close Window)
Topic: Where It Has To Go by Rick Lax
Looking forward to see this effect.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/10747

Sometimes you hear about a new magic trick that sounds too good to be true.

This is one of those tricks.

But this is the real deal. Itís a card trick, and all of the following points about it are 100% accurate:

1) The spectator names a number.

2) The spectator thinks of a card.

3) The thought-of card appears at the named number.

I tried to tell you it sounds too good to be true!

Iím betting that right now youíre trying to figure out ďthe catch.Ē (At least, thatís what I do when I read magic trick descriptions.) Youíre wondering, do I need to master some difficult sleight-of-hand move? Does the trick require some complicated setup?

No and no.

4) You can perform this trick with very little practice.

5) You can perform this trick with a borrowed, shuffled deck.

You wonít be convinced this is possible until you get the trick for yourself and see. And the trickís method will not disappoint you. The psychology and secret principle behind this trick are every bit as amazing as the effect itself.

Like I said, this one is the real deal. See for yourself.

-Rick

Special Thanks and Credit to:

-Justin Flom, Andrei Jikh, Tyas Frantz, Kyle & Mistie Knight, Ed Marlo, John Bannon.

-Ed Marlo Automatic Placement, Faro Notes (1958)

-John Bannon, The Thirty-Second Sense, Destination Zero (2015)
Step 3) is vague Ďthe thought of card appears at the named number.í

Wouldnít it be better to say Ďafter some by play the thought of card appears at the named numberí?
Download out of stock ???🤔🤔
I don't think it is released yet.
#2. The Spectator thinks of a card.

That sure is vague. Are they thinking of a card they just selected or were F*$%3d?
If your familiar with the Automatic Placement Principle then you would know how this works. John Bannon has released some effects using this method.
[quote]On Aug 7, 2018, Last Laugh wrote:
#2. The Spectator thinks of a card.

That sure is vague. Are they thinking of a card they just selected or were F*$%3d? [/quote]

F*$%3d
Lol, not sure what kind of show you're doing....
COULD THIS BE THE HOLY ACAAN GRAIL? I am looking forward to this too and Ricks teachings!
Odd that this is listed as a new arrival and is an instant download, yet is out of stock.
They are just prepping the product page to be ready for release time.
[quote]On Aug 9, 2018, EZrhythm wrote:
COULD THIS BE THE HOLY ACAAN GRAIL? I am looking forward to this too and Ricks teachings! [/quote]

Iíve been reading through Repertoire by Asi Wind. I think my ultimate ACAAN is going to be to combine the method for positioning from Asiís with the kicker ending of Peter Turnerís FateCAAN and using the Fraser Parker and Ross Taylor card force to get the card. It doesnít strictly adhere to the dream ACAAN idea but for the audience the effect is the same if not many times more impossible.
I for one will be extremely disappointed if this ACAAN isn't accomplished through genuine mysticism and incantations, or perhaps even some kind of potion or elixir. I'm tired of all these tricks pretending to be real magic, we can tell the difference between the two and so can lay people. I wish these magic dealers would just deliver the goods.
I believe this comes with a vile of "pixie dust" and we all know how hard that is to come by now a days. So we need to wait for this effect to be in stock. But I'm in.

Good magic to all,

Eric
I had this performed on me and vaguely explained--It's interesting. It reminded me of Weber's 23.
Trailer is up on Penguin now (follow link in post 1). Too many of the important bits cut out to pass any judgement.
[quote]On Aug 10, 2018, JasonL2112 wrote:
Trailer is up on Penguin now (follow link in post 1). Too many of the important bits cut out to pass any judgement. [/quote]

Well I never. Iíd rather stick pins in my eyes than watch that trailer.
Still "out of stock"...
Midnight, Sunday, August 12... Still not on sale! I don't know why I am chomping at the bit so much for this one. Must be Rick's presentation style.
[quote]On Aug 12, 2018, EZrhythm wrote:
Midnight, Sunday, August 12... Still not on sale! I don't know why I am chomping at the bit so much for this one. Must be Rick's presentation style. [/quote]

Because they know suckers like you want what they canít get, now. :hrmph:
Other then a few over the years, they all end up with the same outcome- disappointment
That is so true, unfortunately...
With so many cuts in the trailer, I'm afraid I know where this has to go...
To the bottom of the drawer
Good thing about downloads is that they leave valuable space in the bottom drawer.
[quote]On Aug 12, 2018, pegasus wrote:
Midnight, Sunday, August 12... Still not on sale! I don't know why I am chomping at the bit so much for this one. Must be Rick's presentation style. [/quote]

Because they know suckers like you want what they canít get, now. :hrmph: [/quote]

Got me on that one! We all have our turn. This seems like it will be a winner, for some of us at least. I already have a simple and fun ACAAN that is partially done in a specs hands. I will be happy to pay for Rick's presentation ideas.
[quote]On Aug 12, 2018, Stunninger wrote:
With so many cuts in the trailer, I'm afraid I know where this has to go... [/quote]

I'm normally not a fan of cuts the trailer but I am understanding why on this one.
Just be ready for a bit of math.
MATH??? What? This trick is ridiculously easy.

Some(not many) will know parts of this method. Those that don't know the principle(most of us) will learn one of the best card secrets ever. Great job on this one Rick.
Now available
[quote]On Aug 13, 2018, ted french wrote:
MATH??? What? This trick is ridiculously easy.

Some(not many) will know parts of this method. Those that don't know the principle(most of us) will learn one of the best card secrets ever. Great job on this one Rick. [/quote]

I was not talking about alegebra but basic math. As you mention some will know the principle and some will know the method. I was able to work out the trick as I am familiar with both. I bought the trick this morning and I was right.

I like the presentation that Rick has come up with and I am happy with my purchase.
Is this worth purchasing if you already do Asi Wind and Matt Johnson versions?
Bit of a sucker for the ACAAN plot.
How different is this to what Iíve already learnt on John Bannonís DVD ?
It is "in stock" now~
[quote]On Aug 13, 2018, dman11 wrote:
Now available [/quote]

:rolleyes:
@AceFace, Mr. Lax does credit the work of John Bannon, but there is a difference, in that the number the card ends up is selected by your participant, and I believe with the Bannon effect you're sending the card to a predetermined location in the deck which you can reveal from a prediction.

I'm familiar with something similar to the Lax effect, by Hummer, but again, in the Hummer effect your participant does not provide the number ... I think that's what makes this such a nice effect. I plan to use it.

Oscar
Thanks Oscar 👍👍
Anybody familiar with Marlo's [i]Automatic Placement[/i] would immediately understand what's going on here from just the ad. The only question was: "Is he going to simply "adjust" with a casual shuffle afterwards, or is he going to do this the smart way?"

I'm pleased to say that he did it the smart way. ;)

What I really like about this is the presentation, and also, the lovely little psychological convincer he uses to get the participant to agree and believe in something that is patently false. The card suddenly "appears" at the requested position without a single move while the participant believes that it just couldn't be possible. And [i]that[/i], I feel, is the strong moment in this effect. In essence, the effect is actually about a card [i]magically[/i] moving from one spot in the deck to a specific location that has been freely chosen when the participants *know* it just couldn't be possible without touching the cards. And yet, it does. That makes the effect a slight departure from the traditional "card at any number plot", but in this case, it is a welcome one.

I haven't seen many of Mr. Lax's effects and most of the ones I have seen were not to my liking. However, this lovely little bit is quite nice and packs a decent punch. I can't really find fault with anything in this one. And for those of you who haven't yet encountered the [i]Automatic Placement[/i] principle, you are in for an extra special treat.

Recommended.
[quote]On Aug 13, 2018, Sudo Nimh wrote:
Anybody familiar with Marlo's [i]Automatic Placement[/i] would immediately understand what's going on here from just the ad. The only question was: "Is he going to simply "adjust" with a casual shuffle afterwards, or is he going to do this the smart way?"

I'm pleased to say that he did it the smart way. ;)

What I really like about this is the presentation, and also, the lovely little psychological convincer he uses to get the participant to agree and believe in something that is patently false. The card suddenly "appears" at the requested position without a single move while the participant believes that it just couldn't be possible. And [i]that[/i], I feel, is the strong moment in this effect. In essence, the effect is actually about a card [i]magically[/i] moving from one spot in the deck to a specific location that has been freely chosen when the participants *know* it just couldn't be possible without touching the cards. And yet, it does. That makes the effect a slight departure from the traditional "card at any number plot", but in this case, it is a welcome one.

I haven't seen many of Mr. Lax's effects and most of the ones I have seen were not to my liking. However, this lovely little bit is quite nice and packs a decent punch. I can't really find fault with anything in this one. And for those of you who haven't yet encountered the [i]Automatic Placement[/i] principle, you are in for an extra special treat.

Recommended. [/quote]

That's a big 10-4
Nice review, Sudo. Thank you. I'm in.
Sudoís review hit the nail on the head but to add to it, I was familiar with the automatic placement principle, but I was still fooled by the performance because, I too, was expecting Rick to have to make an adjustment, and yet... no adjustment was necessary. Itís clever indeed and I was very fond of the presentation and the psychological addition which really amps up the effect.

Madison
[quote]On Aug 13, 2018, MadisonH wrote:
I too, was expecting Rick to have to make an adjustment, and yet... no adjustment was necessary.
[/quote]

It wasn't that I [i]expected[/i] him to make an adjustment - I knew none was necessary. It was more of a matter of hoping he wasn't going to do it the [i]hard[/i] way, which is what those with only a surface understanding of the principle would have likely done. Indeed, it would have dramatically lessened the impact of the effect had he done so. What led me to believe that he *may* be doing this with an adjustment was this snippet in the ad-copy:

[b]Youíre wondering, do I need to master some [i]difficult[/i] sleight-of-hand move? Does the trick require some complicated setup?

No and no.:)[/b]

Emphasis on the word "difficult".

The way it is worded easily leads one to believe that while there are no "difficult" sleights, there may be an "easy" sleight or move. And what other move or sleight could there be other than an adjustment? If it were me writing the ad, I would have just said straight up that it uses absolutely ZERO sleights or setups. Period. Far more effective :)

Because they know suckers like you want what they canít get, now. :hrmph: [/quote]

BOOYA, not a sucker on this one!
[quote]On Aug 13, 2018, Stunninger wrote:
Nice review, Sudo. Thank you. I'm in. [/quote]

I always wince just a little when someone purchases something based on a recommendation or good review from me because I know that tastes vary. That said, I'd like to think I have a sharp eye for details and recognizing good things when I see them. By now I'm sure you've checked it out and I hope that you feel I didn't steer you wrong. ;)
What led me to believe that he *may* be doing this with an adjustment was this snippet in the ad-copy:

[b]Youíre wondering, do I need to master some [i]difficult[/i] sleight-of-hand move? Does the trick require some complicated setup?

No and no.:)[/b]

Emphasis on the word "difficult".

The way it is worded easily leads one to believe that while there are no "difficult" sleights, there may be an "easy" sleight or move. And what other move or sleight could there be other than an adjustment? If it were me writing the ad, I would have just said straight up that it uses absolutely ZERO sleights or setups. Period. Far more effective :) [/quote]

But then you wouldn't have been as pleasantly surprised, and the product wouldn't have recieved the same level of positivity from you ;) it was all a set up I say.

For the product itself: All of the cuts and edits of the trailer hide the length of the procedure, I'm pretty sure a full performance would actually fool quite a few. I'm not paticularly a fan of how long the whole process takes, and Rick does nothing to justify the whole middle section of the trick. That's not a negative point, I'm saying that he proved with the full performance that he doesn't need to justify anything, just do it and they will follow suit.

He's correctly assessed that the beginning and end of this piece holds the gold. The fact is, you leave yourself in a position where you don't know the card being thought of, you don't do any funny business, and the card magically appears at the number called out at the beginning. Like Sudo said prior to me, there isn't much objectively to fault with this, and it's priced right. It's going to fool pretty much everyone you perform it for.

Subjectively however, there's a lot I don't like, leaving me knowing I probably won't use this in the long run:

1. It's not a completely free choice of number (this is a very minor negative for me, doesn't bother me that much)
2. There's a section where Rick advocates walking away from the table, or at least turning around and facing away for a procedure to take place. The truth is, I think to be completely fair in the spectators eyes, walking away is the best option. But I don't like walking away from a table, nor am I a big fan of facing away from the table. Just not me, I don't Like breaking a flow of conversation.
3. There's a LOT of counting. Not in your head, but procedural counting. a reoccuring quibble with ACAAN (mentioned on the forums) is the drawn out time it takes for the number 30 upwards to be dealt out. Some fear that the audience will lose interest, and others bite back with something along the lines of " you lack presentations yada yada". The point is, times that length by 2 or 3, and you have around the amount of time it takes to complete the procedure for this. AND THEN the dealing happens. And the procedures are all counting based in some form.

Does Ricks presentation justify these actions? No.
Does Ricks presentation make the final reveal seem impossible? I think so yeah. It took me a moment to click on, for a brief moment I couldn't believe it got to the number.

I just have this feeling that magicians will get more satisfaction out if this then layman will. I'm willing to perform this for people before I catergorically decide that, but I was bored for a lot of the trick.
Based on that last comment I will just say this:

Gave it the girlfriend test which is always a great indicator because my girlfriend knows her stuff and calls the BS. This fooled her. She started saying ďno... no way!Ē As I began to explain that I was moving her card from her number to the one she selected. She was genuinely shocked and amazed. Iíll be keeping this one in the memory bank.

Madison
So, can this be presented as mentalism? Or this is the magical transposition of a card to a different number.
Where I have to go with that question- ABSOLUTELY!
[quote]On Aug 13, 2018, tomd wrote:
Subjectively however, there's a lot I don't like, leaving me knowing I probably won't use this in the long run:

1. It's not a completely free choice of number (this is a very minor negative for me, doesn't bother me that much)
2. There's a section where Rick advocates walking away from the table, or at least turning around and facing away for a procedure to take place. The truth is, I think to be completely fair in the spectators eyes, walking away is the best option. But I don't like walking away from a table, nor am I a big fan of facing away from the table. Just not me, I don't Like breaking a flow of conversation.
3. There's a LOT of counting. Not in your head, but procedural counting. a reoccuring quibble with ACAAN (mentioned on the forums) is the drawn out time it takes for the number 30 upwards to be dealt out. Some fear that the audience will lose interest, and others bite back with something along the lines of " you lack presentations yada yada". The point is, times that length by 2 or 3, and you have around the amount of time it takes to complete the procedure for this. AND THEN the dealing happens. And the procedures are all counting based in some form.
[/quote]

All of these things are what makes up the [i]Automatic Placement[/i]. I can only assume that you were unfamiliar with the principle Tom? :)

Because I knew exactly what this would entail going into it, I was looking at it from an academic viewpoint. Would I recommend this for use at a paid gig? No. It just doesn't have the features that those environments require. Would I use it in casual situations? Absolutely. I think the end result is well worth the effort. Let's face it, the majority of people who will purchase this aren't professional performers and are likely going to enjoy this for what it is because there's no doubt about the deceptive abilities of the effect overall. Plain and simple, it's going to fool the heck out of any lay audience who sees it and even a fair number of magicians.

@ Last Laugh: To answer your question, "no". There's no possible way to pass this off as proper Mentalism - as presented. A card moves from a known position (apparently), to a named position without touching the deck - in effect. Any reasonably intelligent audience could not be convinced that the "powers of the mind" somehow accomplished this.

That said, you *could* play this off as Mentalism by changing the presentation and one simple addition. You would simply ask the participant to use her intuition and name the number where she believes the card will end up at the finish. Now proceed with the effect as described, omitting the part about invisibly moving the card. At the finish, the deck is on the table and the participants are convinced that they know where the card is located. You explain that you will now give the deck a single cut...which you do. I shouldn't need to explain what you actually do. ;)
I should point out however, that the real power here is in using the original presentation. The addition I mentioned is weak Mentalism at best and I personally would not use that idea. Moving a card that is apparently both [i]unknown[/i] and at an [i]unknown position[/i] (to you), to a position that's been freely named and WITHOUT touching the deck...is a pretty strong effect.
[quote]On Aug 13, 2018, Stunninger wrote:
Nice review, Sudo. Thank you. I'm in. [/quote]

I always wince just a little when someone purchases something based on a recommendation or good review from me because I know that tastes vary. That said, I'd like to think I have a sharp eye for details and recognizing good things when I see them. By now I'm sure you've checked it out and I hope that you feel I didn't steer you wrong. ;) [/quote]

Sudo, I love the way you think based on the items you've released and what I've learned from you. You did not steer me wrong :)
Thanks Stunninger.

I'm happy to hear that. :)
[quote]On Aug 14, 2018, EZrhythm wrote:

BOOYA, not a sucker on this one! [/quote]

Great trick for magicians. Mediocre-boring for laymen. So much better out there. Although probably your best effect.
[quote]On Aug 14, 2018, pegasus wrote:
[quote]On Aug 14, 2018, EZrhythm wrote:

BOOYA, not a sucker on this one! [/quote]

Great trick for magicians. Mediocre-boring for laymen. So much better out there. Although probably your best effect. [/quote]

Totally disagree. I think this is very intriguing for laymen. If you present it as shown, it will most definitely excite them and convince them they witnessed something impossible.

The only thing I would add to it would be more of a build up once the work is done. Iíd have the spectator place their finger on the deck. Iíd then let them know I wonít be touching the cards again. At that point I would have them tell me where their card is currently. I would then reiterate where it has to go and then I would make a presssing motion towards the cards claiming that the card had moved down in the deck. I would do this a few times calling out where the card supposedly is and then I would have it ďarriveĒ at the chosen number.

If you do that correctly, everyone present will believe there is NO WAY that could happen. They will be certain youíre about to have to do something sneaky. And then you calmly ask them to count to the number. And of course, their card is there.

If presented in this way, I guarantee laymen will love it and remember it. Mainly because they will build up the impossibility themselves.

Basically, this allows me to do something which looks very similar to Pit Hatlings ACAANís (geuinely THE BEST ACAAN Iíve ever read, and I feel like Iím the only one using it. It gets incredible reactions.) The downside to Pitís is that you must have st least 3 people. In Pitís 3 chosen cards arrive at 3 freely named numbers all while the deck is held by the spectator. The numbers are named after they are holding the deck. You never touch the deck again. So this trick allows me to do an effect which looks very similar but with only 1 or 2 people.

I think this is the best thing Rick Lax has given to the community.

Madison
Madison

How long would you say the routine takes on 1 person from start to finish?

Cheers
Dr Rob
It's really not that long Dr.Rob. About 3-4 mins tops. The initial counting is only a small number of cards so it really isn't that bad at all.

And I agree with Madison wholeheartedly - you can build up the finish for this quite dramatically.
...I was still fooled by the performance...[/quote]

Hey, I was wondering which performance fooled you? The trailer has too many cuts to count as a performance.
[quote]On Aug 14, 2018, magic_tony wrote:
...I was still fooled by the performance...[/quote]

Hey, I was wondering which performance fooled you? The trailer has too many cuts to count as a performance. [/quote]

The live performance on the download.

Madison
Any others who purchased ready to add to the above reviews ?
Here are some reviews from the penguin site...

Verified buyer Pro Privacy ON (login to see reviewer names) on August 13th, 2018
This is definitely
one of the most practical killer methods
of ACAAN to date !!!
If you are a ardent student of the art
Whom has amassed countless versions of ACAAN in all it's diverse forms ,then you will truly appreciate what Rick has
decided to share with the circle!!!
The most important aspect in all of Rick's instructionals is Clarity in presentation as far as method of procedure -( dictionary definition)"A procedure is a set of written or Spoken directions telling us how to apply a method to a particular sample, including information on obtaining samples, handling interferents, and validating results. A method may have several procedures ") he's straight to the point of what needs to be done with out drifting & ramblings which a lot of mediocre presentations out on the market suffer from!apart from the effect the hypnotic ethereal sound track was perfect !!!As a whole the production quality is just as important as the effect it self congratulations Rick & Penguin !!!
Iam breaking open a bottle of Blended Wisky to celebrate the occasion !!!
Get this & everything project Rick has out on the Market !!!!

4 of 4 magicians found this helpful.
Did this review help you? 2 comments
Another great trick from Rick Lax Report this review
Verified buyer Pro Privacy ON (login to see reviewer names) on August 13th, 2018
I love the presentation Rick came up with for this effect. There are a lot of acaan type effects out there, but not a lot of variety. This one stands out from the rest. I appreciate the minimal handlng and the audience involvemet that he brings. You will want to practice this a lot, not because it is difficult, but because you will surprise yourself every time. This trick requires no setup, all you need is a deck, paper, and something to write with. The cards can be shuffled, there are no stacks to memorize or complicated math. The handling is very simple. The problem woth many acaan effects is that the counting can be very boring, but with this presentation, the anticipation builds until they reach their number, and they canít believe that their card is there. If you like the effect you aee in the trailer, buy now. You will not be disappointed.
3 of 3 magicians found this helpful.
Did this review help you? Do you want to respond to this review?
Wonderfully deceptive. Report this review

Verified buyer Pro Privacy ON (login to see reviewer names) on August 14th, 2018
This is one of my favorite effects Rick Lax has put out. It uses a principle I was already familiar with, but this is the best use for it that Iíve ever seen. It is incredibly clean. You move a selection from a known position to a named position without ever touching the deck. Itís wonderful. The bit of psychology Rick has added makes this feel truly impossible. This is a trick Iíll be using again and again. Donít miss this self working effect; your spectators will remember for a long time.
2 of 2 magicians found this helpful.
Two Words: Sup and Erb Report this review

Three reasons to get this trick:
1) It's by Rick Lax.
2) It's by Rick Lax.
3) Didn't you hear me? It's by Rick Lax!!
In the detail, this is an amazing little jewel that will leave everyone with their eyes agog and their mouths agape. Absolutely brilliant and incredibly simple ó but powerful like a stampede. Or something else, as long as it's powerful. They will have no idea how you did it... And apparently, you won't have it, either. And that what it makes it so magic. A must have.
1 of 1 magicians found this helpful.
I like it! Report this review
Verified buyer Pro Privacy ON (login to see reviewer names) on August 14th, 2018
The effect is self working. Rick teaches the nuances for it to play big, get the reactions I want.
Sudo has done such a great job with his commentary in this thread that I'm not going to repeat it all. I just want to underscore the elements of this effect that really baffle spectators.

The method is a little more procedural than I'd prefer, but all the spectator will remember is that they freely selected a card and a number, and the card appeared at that number. (As Sudo pointed out, they'll actually be convinced that the card moved from one position to another, which is even more powerful.) The best part is that you never actually know the selected card, and yet you still make it appear at the selected number. And the spectator knows you don't know what the card is, because they never named it or even touched it before it's revealed. I think this makes up for the bit of procedure to get there.

There are zero sleights, hardly even what I'd call a move, and you can (and should) use a borrowed, shuffled deck. The highest skill required is performing a single bit of arithmetic. Rick does his usual thorough and endearing job explaining everything on a well-produced video -- even to the point of slightly over-explaining how to do arithmetic for those who are truly math-phobic.

This is not the holy grail of ACAAN because it's procedural, but it's the only ACAAN I've seen so far that requires no setup, no gimmicks, and no sleights. And while the procedure is not entirely justified or motivated, spectators don't really care because the end effect is so strong. For less than $10, it's a bargain.
I like it very much !

Can be done with any deck of cards, with no setup.

There is only one thing in the overall process that might ring a bell in the spectator's mind and make the whole thing less "pure" (cards in a box ?), but honestly it's not a problem at all because it can be justified.

The girlfriend test has been successful, and this trick will be done several times in the next weeks for sure.

In the end, a very good automatic trick. Yes, I put it in the "automatic card trick" category without any doubt, because I'm a mathematician (it's a joke, I'm not, but it's still an automatic trick to me)
Iíve known about this principle for quite a while, but the way this has been used in this routine is fantastic...the small subtleties that have been added have really ramped up this principle to a magical level, it goes to show that the top magicians have so much more creativity than mere mortals like myself. Well done Rick Lax for giving us another great effect that I will do... the fact that any deck can be used to produce such a magical moment is brilliant, I have performed this only a couple of times so far and my presentation needs polishing up but the reactions from the spectator are great. They are convinced they know the position of their card so when you invisibly remove that card and place it into a position that was freely chosen just a couple of minutes before is pure magic. Some people will love this and some people wonít but I absolutely love it. I highly recommend this if you want to have a completely impromptu card effect that can be done with any deck of cards, this will play well for one spectator or lots of spectators
9/10
The only negative I see, in my opinion, is in some situations you will have to count out a lot of cards. There is no way to make this entertaining to the audience members, especially when 30 or more cards are shown one at a time.
[quote]On Aug 15, 2018, rowdymagi5 wrote:
The only negative I see, in my opinion, is in some situations you will have to count out a lot of cards. There is no way to make this entertaining to the audience members, especially when 30 or more cards are shown one at a time. [/quote]

I do see your point, I will use this for those specific moments when someone says ďI hear your a magician, show us a trickĒ (which happens quite often)
I always carry a deck with me but if they have a deck then thatís even better. I do see this as that sort of effect because of the potential time it takes depending on which number was chosen, so it is not an effect that will go into a set but a one off moment of magic
Love acaan effects & always have from seeing magic legend David Berglas do it on me in his home.

This version by Rick is very good & very usuable.

Love his performance of it & the way he sets it out.

Rick is an excellent teacher & I agree with everything positive about this version.

I have done it a few times now & the impact on a lay audience is stunning & I dare say that some ( infact quite a few ) magicians will be fooled.

Well done Rick, thanks for releasing this ( it is worth a lot more than the asking price.

Mike Donoghue
I can only agree with the positive comments regarding this effect, I was on the fence for well over 4 hours before my finger got twitchy over the paypal button and slipped and I am happy that it did slip.
I went through this a few times at work today and even though the one move worried me slightly nobody saw it at all! And there was me worrying like a scardy cat !

Excellent tuition from Rick and the funny move to lower the card in the deck made a few people chuckle then BAM how the hell did it get there was said at least 3 times.

Well worth the money.

Regards
Dr Rob
[quote]On Aug 15, 2018, DrRob wrote:
Excellent tuition from Rick and the funny move to lower the card in the deck made a few people chuckle then BAM how the hell did it get there was said at least 3 times.
[/quote]

See? ;)

I'm glad you took the plunge.
This is the same - or very similar - principle as used in Jack Birnman's "The Martian Clock Trick", which I received from Bob Kohler. Although Birnman's routine doesnít give the spectator any options or choices and always has the card found at the same number. I think that Rick's routine is much more effective as well as more entertaining. Yes, there is counting involved - and I am not a fan of counting at all - but the result is stunning enough to make it worthwhile.

Jim
[quote]On Aug 14, 2018, Sudo Nimh wrote:
[quote]On Aug 13, 2018, tomd wrote:

[/quote]

All of these things are what makes up the [i]Automatic Placement[/i]. I can only assume that you were unfamiliar with the principle Tom? :)

Because I knew exactly what this would entail going into it, I was looking at it from an academic viewpoint. Would I recommend this for use at a paid gig? No. It just doesn't have the features that those environments require. Would I use it in casual situations? Absolutely. I think the end result is well worth the effort. Let's face it, the majority of people who will purchase this aren't professional performers and are likely going to enjoy this for what it is because there's no doubt about the deceptive abilities of the effect overall. Plain and simple, it's going to fool the heck out of any lay audience who sees it and even a fair number of magicians.

@ Last Laugh: To answer your question, "no". There's no possible way to pass this off as proper Mentalism - as presented. A card moves from a known position (apparently), to a named position without touching the deck - in effect. Any reasonably intelligent audience could not be convinced that the "powers of the mind" somehow accomplished this.

That said, you *could* play this off as Mentalism by changing the presentation and one simple addition. You would simply ask the participant to use her intuition and name the number where she believes the card will end up at the finish. Now proceed with the effect as described, omitting the part about invisibly moving the card. At the finish, the deck is on the table and the participants are convinced that they know where the card is located. You explain that you will now give the deck a single cut...which you do. I shouldn't need to explain what you actually do. ;) [/quote]

I agree with all of the points you raise in regards to your reply to my review Sudo.

I've done the honourable thing and watched the full performance twice more. Under the guise that my initial view of it was skewed by that moment where he steps out of the room. I REALLY wasn't a fan of that moment and my only reasoning was that it isn't something I'd ever do...

But after 3 full watch throughs of the performance I can only say that it's better then my original viewing had me think.

For $10 you can't go wrong. Although I was and am aware of the principle, the lack of direction or justification for it did put me to sleep a bit.. but had he provided a full routine with a script that made sense of every moment I'd say the download would have been worth a heck load more than $10.

My first viewing I completely missed the part of the magic behind it: the fact that the person who is thinking of the card knows its "current position". Of course that's obvious, and technically I knew that first time round. But on watching a second time, Rick turns to her and casually says (paraphrasing) "Now I need to move it into position, and of course you know where your card is now right?" To which she replies "yeah". It was said so casually that I missed how important that moment is, as I wasnt tracking which card was hers. As an external viewer, it felt like a card from unknown location moves to known (and chosen by spectator) location with no moves. But considerig before the magical moment happens, the card is in a KNOWN and tangible position, it makes all the more impossible. Add to that you, the performer really doesn't know that information as it's secret.

Still haven't performed this yet, but when I do I'll be making sure to emphasise that point more than anything. ESPECIALLY if there are others viewing that aren't directly involved with the trick (like me when viewing on video).
Got this. Will review once I get to play with it a bit.
[quote]On Aug 16, 2018, tomd wrote:
My first viewing I completely missed the part of the magic behind it: the fact that the person who is thinking of the card knows its "current position". Of course that's obvious, and technically I knew that first time round. But on watching a second time, Rick turns to her and casually says (paraphrasing) "Now I need to move it into position, and of course you know where your card is now right?" To which she replies "yeah". It was said so casually that I missed how important that moment is, as I wasnt tracking which card was hers.[/quote]

That's great to hear Tom. That detail is really a very important and valuable part of this effect and was the part I liked best. I think Rick could have really played that part up a lot more than he did on the video, but even the simple agreement he got from the participant was good enough. Personally, I would be milking that moment for all it's worth. ;)

Glad you reviewed it again. I'm sure that when you do eventually get around to performing it that you'll be more than pleased with the result.
As quite a novice in magic, I bought this recently and was quite impressed with it!

Looking at the promotional vid, I was gobsmacked at how the thought of card arrived at the chosen number and then watching the solution, I was equally amazed at how simple the explanation was and that it just worked using an equally simple bit of math and again, a simple move, too!

I guess the only negative I can see is possibly the counting aspect if more than 30 cards are selected and also, the need to place the selected quantity of cards into the empty card box as there doesn't seem to be any justification in actually putting them in the box as these aren't used again in the trick, but these are minor points.

All in all, for such a low price, you can't really go wrong -its certainly the best ACAAN trick I have purchased....

;)
Rick has taken a lot of heat for some of his misses but this is definitely one of his 'hits'. Let's give the man credit for a job VERY well-done! While this is more of an impromptu effect for casual situations I have no doubt that it will hit hard. What's especially nice is having no set-up, the deck could be borrowed, and it's easy-to-do. This will surely stay in my working repertoire for certain situations. There's a lot to like about this one and Rick's teaching is of course always very thorough.
Well stated, Jared! This effect is especially good for those moments such as at wedding receptions after all the plates have been cleared.

Rick, I know you re reading this... CONGRATULATONS!!! WELL DONE!!! Just by watching the trailer and reading the description I had a really strong feeling that this wasn't going to become a "bottom file on the hardrive". :cheers:
[quote]On Aug 14, 2018, MadisonH wrote:
Basically, this allows me to do something which looks very similar to Pit Hatlings ACAAN's (geuinely THE BEST ACAAN I've ever read, and I feel like I'm the only one using it. It gets incredible reactions.)
[/quote]

Madison, this effect you quoted was published somewhere?
[quote]On Aug 18, 2018, qualysoft wrote:
[quote]On Aug 14, 2018, MadisonH wrote:
Basically, this allows me to do something which looks very similar to Pit Hatlings ACAAN's (geuinely THE BEST ACAAN I've ever read, and I feel like I'm the only one using it. It gets incredible reactions.)
[/quote]

Madison, this effect you quoted was published somewhere? [/quote]

Card Fictions by Pit Hartling. :)

Madison
Excellent self worker and if you present it well as Rick did in the live performance can be a real fooler. Highly recommended.
If you don't want to have to think about the math. I came up with a practical solution. Simply write a crib on the face of a blank face card and 'miscall' it as a joker since they need to be removed from the deck anyway. A quick glance will give you the secret "number". While the math is very easy, in certain situations it's nice knowing you got it right without having to stress. Alternatively, you could put the crib between the cellophane of the card box or on the pad where you write the number.
Madison, LOVE your suggestions for performance on this one. Thanks!
Sigh... Another half a--ed demo video.

Why is it so hard to simply perform the effect, like I was in a brink and mortar store and see the effect from beginning to end ?
I do not need Rick explaining to me what the effect looks like, when he can simply do it.

Nor do I care about audience reactions.

Sigh :-(

While it may be a great effect.... these demo videos drive me crazy and make me suspicious that in reality, the effect is not as good as described.
[quote]On Aug 20, 2018, Expertmagician wrote:
I do not need Rick explaining to me what the effect looks like, when he can simply do it.
While it may be a great effect.... these demo videos drive me crazy and make me suspicious that in reality, the effect is not as good as described. [/quote]

I understand how you feel, and I share those same feelings; it's very annoying.

One thing to note is that before the internet magic shops if the brick and mortar magic store employee didn't know much about the effect, the only way to understand the effect is to read its description, which is worse than having no video at all. In my experience, many of the effects, especially new effects, were not performed by the store employees. That's just from my personal experience. I'm sure some stores try to demo the newest effects. Even so, I used to order a lot of magic from mail-order catalogs, which solely relied on the creators' written description, which was quite often misleading.

The two things that annoy me the most is when people start off by saying, "Imagine..." I'm thinking, I don't need to imagine because you are shooting a video, so just show me. I can't stand being told how I should perceive things.
[quote]On Aug 20, 2018, Expertmagician wrote:
Sigh... Another half a--ed demo video.

Why is it so hard to simply perform the effect, like I was in a brink and mortar store and see the effect from beginning to end ?

Nor do I care about audience reactions.

Sigh :-(

While it may be a great effect.... these demo videos drive me crazy and make me suspicious that in reality, the effect is not as good as described. [/quote]

I agree, but they don't want magicians trying to backtrack into the secret.

Steve
There are major differences between a publicly posted full performance and seeing a demo in a B&M shop.

With a video, you can watch it as many times as you want. The magic store, usually just once. Also misdirection - which is an important part of many effects, doesn't work the same way on video.

Finally - the amount of people who go into a B&M shop is a miniscule fraction of the amount of people who watch magic demos online.

However, let's not derail. This isn't the right place for this discussion.
Also, if the trailer doesnít meet the standards of the buyer in this particular case. Read the description. He flat out gives you two fantastic sources for the underlying principle that are in print in very common books. I have both of the books, I have played with the John Bannon effect which plays very well (I do not own any of the ďMove ZeroĒ DVDís since I have the book but the effect (Bannonís version) may be on one of them). I think for under $15, this may be worth picking up to get a ďvisualĒ representation of the principle. It is a tough one to wrap your head around ďwhy and howĒ it works even when you know. Similar to Simon Aronsonís ďUndue InfluenceĒ - a fantastic principle that just works but my brain hurts a little trying to figure out ďwhyĒ it works. Both principles make for great magic though, and the beauty is - you donít ďhaveĒ to understand why they work to put them to use in the effects.
Marlo published in Faro Notes a 'Variation On Automatic Placement' which seems more like the principle which would be used here since it offers a lot of flexibility when doing the required "replacement".
I can tell what sort of math is involved for an ACAAN routine like this one using this principle. It's not so cumbersome if you are used to simple arithmetics but I would probably not perform this if not sober.
I agree that the principle in itself is a thing of beauty and very cleverly disguised and just for that, this is certainly a great purchase (although the Marlo notes for a similar price have way more to offer).
For someone familiar with the replacement principle who would buy this, would he just get a nice subtlety to help with the re-positioning or is there something more?
I haven't read all the comments so apologies for any overlap:

PROS

Rick Lax is awesome. I love hearing the guy talk.

The production quality is everything youíd expect from Rick.

The teaching is crystal clear.

You can do an ACAAN (of sorts) using a borrowed, shuffled deck. We generally underestimate the value of being able to do something off the cuff and overestimate our willingness to carry gimmicks around.

CONS

If youíre expecting this to look like the description or demo video, youíll be disappointed.

Thereís a lot of unjustified procedure in getting to a chosen card. Obviously there has to be something more than whatís written in the description, but the procedure here is laborious and without reason. Why is the spectator doing x,y and z to get to their card? Bob King (who should also be credited) had an Invisible Deck effect where spec never even names their card, using a similar procedure. But in his case there was a clear rationale. Here, there is none.

As somebody else mentioned, you can probably get away with performing this for one person but the procedure (additional numbers) makes even less sense.
I've started performing Asi Wind's ACAAN, I'd say this is a nice substitute when things are stirred. It's true this is a little procedural and I won't be using this at all my walkaround gigs. It's good to know and have in your arsenal when you have the time
Blindside785--would you say this/Where it has to go would be good for hobbyists doing easy effects for family and friends at dinner parties etc? thanks
[quote]On Aug 21, 2018, samdan wrote:
Blindside785--would you say this/Where it has to go would be good for hobbyists doing easy effects for family and friends at dinner parties etc? thanks [/quote]
Absolutely, this has easy to remember procedures that would make this very appealing for that setting.I would do it in that type of arena.
Great, thanks Blindside!
Got it. Like it.

Rick takes the direction of kinda a magic trick(but it is 😜) A better mentalist theme could really jazz this up a little for sure
A truly terrible effect. An ACAAN for people who have no appreciation or understanding of the power of The Berglas Effect.

Where It Has To Go? Into the online equivalent of the bottom drawer -next to Killer Red Caps.
Killer Red Caps- Ouch
[quote]On Aug 21, 2018, Martin Pulman wrote:
A truly terrible effect. An ACAAN for people who have no appreciation or understanding of the power of The Berglas Effect.

Where It Has To Go? Into the online equivalent of the bottom drawer -next to Killer Red Caps. [/quote]

Tough crowd!
:bg:
Take it for what itís worth since Iím only a hobbyist who does magic for friends and family, but I love this trick. Likely because Iím always doing magic for the same people (or maybe because Iím still learning) Im always getting asked about the deck or whatever. I love that this trick can be done with a borrowed deck. Itís incredibly easy to do for someone still learning like myself and it blows people away.

I agree with the criticisms. I too felt a little bamboozeld after seeing the trick from beginning to end and the trick is a little convoluted, but it hasnít been an issue for anyone Iíve explained it to yet. If youíre looking for something you can do on the fly with no setup, for more of a beginner, and a borrowed deck this is a great trick to use.
[quote]On Aug 21, 2018, Martin Pulman wrote:

Where It Has To Go? Into the online equivalent of the bottom drawer -next to Killer Red Caps. [/quote]

BINGO. Been trying to tell people this. We owe our specs more.

The best version of this ever, and always will be is to use a stooge. Donít believe me? Ask Criss Angel.
RIGHT ON MATT and WELCOME TO THE Cafť! :cheers:
Https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/search?keyword=automatic+placement

If you just own a little bit of it in your library you would have know what to expect and what you would receive. Jan
Always best place to hide something is in a book.
Thanks Matt. Glad to hear it because I am in the same situation and now will purchase the effect.
I think it's a trick he actually could of shown a full uncut performance, not sure why he didn't. You maybe could backtrack but there is one part of the routine that makes it somewhat difficult. All in all a good trick that's easy to do and is a fooler for laymen.
[quote]On Aug 22, 2018, JanForster wrote:
Https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/search?keyword=automatic+placement

If you just own a little bit of it in your library you would have know what to expect and what you would receive. Jan [/quote]

Aldo Colombini in his Impromptu Card Magic shares Ed Marlo's AP. I do not have Marlo's book, but what I like about what Colombini shared is that it does not involve a Faro Shuffle, which I could not do to save my life.

Bobby
How can people not Faro, seriously? I really donīt get this when I read it and not deliberately picking on you, robwar.
Off the top of my head, improper technique, poor understanding what is actually trying to be accomplished, fear of failure, lousy eyesight, unsteady hands, lack of confidence...

[quote]On Aug 22, 2018, drawfull wrote:
How can people not Faro, seriously? I really donīt get this when I read it and not deliberately picking on you, robwar. [/quote]
[quote]On Aug 22, 2018, Kaliix wrote:
Off the top of my head...unsteady hands...

How can people not Faro, seriously? I really donīt get this when I read it and not deliberately picking on you, robwar. [/quote] [/quote]

Watch Paul Gertner (a MASTER with the Faro) do it on 'Fool Us'. His hands were remarkably "unsteady", yet his Faro was flawless!
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Aug 22, 2018 11:51PM)
Yes everyone can do a Faro Shuffle...the question is how well can they do it? I'm in the "not so well" area. But to get on point I got this today and I like it a lot. Of course I tried it on my wife and she enjoyed it and was baffled and I like that because she now has that knack of getting close to knowing how things are done in the magic/mentalism world. I like the idea of being able to borrow a deck and having it shuffled. I'm very pleased with this and I do recommend it.

Good magic to all,

Eric
I didn't liked the procedure. This has nothing to do with Acaan. It is very complicated, the plot. Really the ad is a bit deceptive.
[quote]On Aug 23, 2018, Vogler wrote:
I didn't liked the procedure. This has nothing to do with Acaan. It is very complicated, the plot. Really the ad is a bit deceptive. [/quote]

ACAAN description misleading? NFW. Never.
[quote]On Aug 23, 2018, Vogler wrote:
I didn't liked the procedure. This has nothing to do with Acaan. It is very complicated, the plot. Really the ad is a bit deceptive. [/quote]

A bit deceptive? Would someone selling a trick do such a thing!

ďSometimes you hear about a new magic trick that sounds too good to be true.Ē

Youíre right Rick. It happens all the time.

ďThis is one of those tricks.Ē

At least youíre honest.

ďBut this is the real dealĒ

Oh. Youíve changed your mind.

ď. Itís a card trick, and all of the following points about it are 100% accurate: ď

Ok. Go for it...

ď1) The spectator names a number.Ē

True. And weíre best to right it down because so much time is going to pass between the naming of the number and counting to it. And we donít want to get it confused with the ďother numberĒ, do we!

2) The spectator thinks of a card.

ďHmmm. Not in the sense one normally associated with ACAAN. Or thinking. If one considers being asked to think of something at a specific number as ďthinking of somethingĒ then, yes, you think of a card.

3) The thought-of card appears at the named number.

ďEh!?! What happens to all the hoo-ha inbetween? The ďgeneratingĒ of the 2nd number. The cards put into a card box. The counting while thinking business. The counting through cards multiple times?

ďI tried to tell you it sounds too good to be true! ď

You certainly did.

ďIím betting that right now youíre trying to figure out ďthe catch.Ē (At least, thatís what I do when I read magic trick descriptions.) Youíre wondering, do I need to master some difficult sleight-of-hand move? Does the trick require some complicated setup? No and no. ď

Youíre right. That bits not ďthe catchĒ.

ď4) You can perform this trick with very little practice.Ē

True. You can also perform the 21 card trick with very little practice.

ď5) You can perform this trick with a borrowed, shuffled deck.Ē

True. You can also perform the 21 card trick with a borrowed shuffled deck.

ďSpecial Thanks and Credit to:
-Justin Flom, Andrei Jikh, Tyas Frantz, Kyle & Mistie Knight, Ed Marlo, John Bannon.
-Ed Marlo Automatic Placement, Faro Notes (1958)
-John Bannon, The Thirty-Second Sense, Destination Zero (2015)Ē

Now, THOSE are the real deal. Thanks for posting that info. Magicians helping magicians for once!

If the description had ended at:

ďSometimes you hear about a new magic trick that sounds too good to be true.Ē

It would have been the most honest ad in magic history.
*write, not right.
How can people not Faro, seriously? I really donīt get this when I read it and not deliberately picking on you, robwar. [/quote]

When I read "do an in-Faro ... do an out-Faro" I think: Seriously? People think you can just do a Faro?"

I have never had any success with it.

Bobby
The weird thing is that most of the reviews are five stars...
There are far worse tricks out there that require drawn out procedures than this.
I have a book on my shelf back from when I was an outsider to magic that is full of beginner style card tricks requiring extensive dealing procedures, often into multiple piles and 'down/under' elimination/selection procedures.
This trick is direct in comparison!

If you can't justify or make this procedure entertaining for your audience then that says more about the skills of the handyman than the tools.
I will say I don't think Rick's demo is a great example of how to make this routine engaging (aside from the premise and the reveal) but it comes down to this (as it does with any effect)...if you like the idea/method, then you can make it work for you and your spectators.

I don't judge an idea until I myself have spent a bit of time both mechanically doing it, and also thinking about how I would actually present it, making it entertaining for my spectators.
There have certainly been a fair few times where I've watched a video for a trick or read a method in a book and my initial thought has been 'hmmm not sure I like that one' but often find if I at least play with the method, cards in hand, a routine starts to form and often in [b]actual application[/b] been surprised by the reactions.

To us, method is everything, and all we care about.
We focus on the procedure, you notice the "process" because we live "methods" and are comparing things constantly to other methods we know.

Spectators just want to be entertained, with a good story and a strong moment of magic where something happens they weren't expecting or can't explain.
They don't care how you got there or what exact method you used!

You just have to care enough about an idea to bother!
if you don't care enough, then that just means you simply don't like the idea.
But again, that says nothing about the effectiveness of the tool,just that you don't want to use it!

Also, this ISN'T an ACAAN.
Nowhere on the product description is it ever stated or even suggested that it is one or trying to be one.
Penguin magic have it 'tagged' under ACAAN true, but that's not the actual description of the trick or method, and I'd argue that's a mis-tag.

Criticizing this because it's a terrible approach to ACAAN or even comparing it to other ACAAN's is like comparing [b]Binary Code[/b] to [b]OOTW[/b] or [b]OOTW[/b] to [b]Oil&Water[/b], simply because they revolve around seperating colors!

Two completely different effects.
[quote]On Aug 23, 2018, ManchurianMan83 wrote:
Also, this ISN'T an ACAAN.
Nowhere on the product description is it ever stated or even suggested that it is one or trying to be one.
Penguin magic have it 'tagged' under ACAAN true, but that's not the actual description of the trick or method, and I'd argue that's a mis-tag.

Criticizing this because it's a terrible approach to ACAAN or even comparing it to other ACAAN's is like comparing [b]Binary Code[/b] to [b]OOTW[/b] or [b]OOTW[/b] to [b]Oil&Water[/b], simply because they revolve around seperating colors!

Two completely different effects. [/quote]

You are completely delirious. Read points 1 2 and 3 of the description.
[quote]On Aug 23, 2018, pegasus wrote:
You are completely delirious. Read points 1 2 and 3 of the description. [/quote]

Yet...
it is NOT an ACAAN.
ACAAN is when two spectators name both a card and a number and that card is plain and simply at that number.
THIS...is not that.
The card is not originally at the number..that is the whole point of the trick and the key distinguishing factor that makes it NOT an ACAAN.
It doesn't say in the description "Finally, the best solution to ACAAN" or hell.. "a semi moderately passable solution to ACAAN"...
it doesn't say ACAAN anywhere...

- And Yet -

Those 3 points are still equally accurate.

A number IS named.
A card IS thought of.
That card DOES appear at the named number.

If you want to sweat the little details then I'll point out it does say..."appears at"...not "is at".

Anyway my main point still stands....

Nothing against having an opinion on if a trick works for you or not.
But focusing on "how impractical" it is and "how drawn out" it is, is missing the whole point of magic imo.

Even if someone came out with the Holy Grail tomorrow, and it's everything we would want out of a perfect method, the true absolute holy grail where every single time with only one deck in a spectators hands from the beginning, where a card is FREELY NAMED, and a NUMBER FREELY named, and the spectator gets to remove the cards themselves EVERY SINGLE TIME, and immediately deal the cards!...face up too!...EVERY SINGLE TIME...and the NAMED CARD is AT the NUMBER NAMED....

As much as we magicians would collectively j**z our pants because we now have in our knowledge base the pure perfect method...

After ALL that perfect world stuff...

without presentation to back it up...

Spectators are still going to say....

"cool...so...now what? is that magic?"

Follow that up with a color change or a vanish and THAT'S what they'll discuss....not a card being at a number....
We know itís not an ACAAN, BUT it is advertised as one. Get it yet?? :confused:
I had a look, mostly to attempt to get some understanding about the principle. Too bad Rick doesn't know why it works. Oh well.

I found it interesting and creative. It is indeed fairly drawn out will not be applicable in too many situations, but I like the thinking behind it and it's fun to play around with. The change from a predicted number (as in the Bannon effect) to a named number is good.

I think the following would be a decent presentation (as mentalism rather than magic).

Instead of having the first person name a number, they write one down, and you subsequently p*** it.

After the card is 'thought of', then I take the deck back and openly move a card to a position, thereby reading the minds of both participants.

Shrug.
[quote]On Aug 23, 2018, pegasus wrote:
We know itís not an ACAAN, BUT it is advertised as one. Get it yet?? :confused: [/quote]

There's a difference between "sounds like" and "advertised as"....

I'd agree from the description it SOUNDS LIKE an ACAAN but nowhere does it implicitly state this IS an ACAAN.
Literally nowhere, not even in the video, where it even shows you it's not a typical ACAAN performance.
Itís one of those card tricks where you need to insert a break in the middle in order for your specs to use the bathroom, check their emails, etc.
Hahaha..to the point !!!
[quote]On Aug 24, 2018, pegasus wrote:
Itís one of those card tricks where you need to insert a break in the middle in order for your specs to use the bathroom, check their emails, etc. [/quote]

You must either perform for people with terrible attention spans...or incontinence!
You might want to change up your residency. :P
Pegasus you nailed it. Much better for the performer to have in mind that the audience can be bored than that people are thirsty for our card tricks. I love card tricks and Iam bored as well with this procedure.
It might be acceptable as a card trick for those who like effects where the cards are constantly counted and recounted and put into the card box for no reason, but as a card effect for mentalists -or even as mental magic - itís pretty dreadful, and thereís no way to dress that up without adding even more procedure. And thatís the last thing it needs.
*smh*

This thread seems to be full of people suggesting they lack the skills to take a method and do any work to either it or the presentation to make it work for them!
Too ready to accept it as presented to them.

Do all you guys copy the performers who sell you tricks?
I bought a Rick Lax effect, I'll perform it just like Rick Lax!
I bought a John Bannon effect, I'll perform this just like John Bannon!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there are no bad tricks..only bad magicians.
I'll also add once again that I don't think Rick's demo of this shows it in the best light.
He REALLY draws it out....and with very little presentation or more importantly, [b]justification[/b].

It's not a great demo, I'll give you all that, but the method you get works, does what it says, and isn't half as bad as you're all making it out to be.
You either don't own the trick so don't know the details of the method, or you're lacking the thought or energy to truly put creative juices into the things you feel are shortcomings with what you've seen.

If it's not for you just move on.
ManchurianMan if there are not bad tricks why Copperfield review thousand of effects to select one that it seems more clean, more natural, more straightforward and finally more magical?. Of course his powerful persona can improve the effect but why anyone wants to start with a dull routine?
Because "Dull" is [b]subjective[/b].
[quote]On Aug 24, 2018, ManchurianMan83 wrote:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there are no bad tricks..only bad magicians.
[/quote]

Utter meaningless nonsense. There are thousands of bad tricks. This is one of them.
[quote]On Aug 24, 2018, Martin Pulman wrote:
[quote]On Aug 24, 2018, ManchurianMan83 wrote:

[/quote]

Utter meaningless nonsense. There are thousands of bad tricks. This is one of them. [/quote]

Thatís your opinion! There are many many tricks far worse than this, this is quite a decent little effect
Agree with Cardbiker. This is no worse than some of Cameron Francis's recent offerings, or even some of the Bannon move zero stuff.
Guys,

Yesterday I performed this 3 times to 3 different spectators, and they really liked this effect.

Some of the people even got to witness it a second time, so I had to make sure they wouldnt see "the move" if you could even call it that.

I have added a subtlety that makes "the move" invisible and actually looks like you did nothing.

If you want to know and own this, send me a PM, I will fill you in on the details.

Its the subtleties and routining that makes an effect stand out, as well as your own personality, and the way its presented.

At first, I didn't think this effect could fly, but after having performed it 3 times under fire at a bbq last night, and even had some people witness it a second time, I can say that this was worth the mere asking price that Rick Lax is asking for.

Its a keeper!

Alex Alejandro

BTW If any of you are going to Magi-Fest in January, I will be around sessioning items from a new book I am translating for another magician, and would like to meet some of you there.
Hello,

This is a full performance of this trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azHwtb644Ns
Nice try...

[quote]On Aug 24, 2018, seychelles13 wrote:
Hello,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azHwtb644Ns [/quote]
[quote]On Aug 24, 2018, seychelles13 wrote:
Hello,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azHwtb644Ns [/quote]

Lax has had the video deleted. No surprise really.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Aug 24, 2018 08:37PM)
If you want to speed this up you can always take the cards and spread them out on the table and instruct the spec to see which card is in the numbered location as you turn your back and you can even have them point to it so others can see the selection. Then you gather the cards do what needs to be done and you did it in much less time. Also YOU will NOT be the one slowing it up at all and all the attention is now focused on their choice. I too have had great reactions to this as described by BMWGUY and agree this is a great value. Hope this helps.

Good magic to all,

Eric
I would like to compare this and another version which is also impromptu (borrowed shuffled deck) which is from Barrie Richardson (it's called 'card at any number'). There is a similar trick in Jheffsmind from Jheff where one move is changed to another one (it's called 'Double-Barreled').
The "move" in both versions (Richardson/Jheff) is something that every cardician should know and is not difficult to achieve. This has the additional advantage that not everyone will present this version and you will not be facing the competition of the average teen for this trick (I rarely present automatic tricks for this reason).
This trick also has the advantage that you don't even need to know the number of the spectator before you start counting for the final reveal (counting has to be done by the magician but is really really fair and super easy to do).
For those who know the Richardson's version, I replaced the p**k by a subtle Marlo's k** c**d which is totally hands off and does not require a table (I cannot remember how it's called, but John Carey shows this in his 'Handle with Carey' DVD I think). Even though I knew the k** c**d principle, it got me because it's so sneaky in this version.
I now ended up with a truly impromptu version which has a couple of moves/principles and is something that I enjoy performing because it's well structured, is quite direct and feels more unique.

I showed the Lax and Jheff/Richardson's effects to several spectators and they unanimously liked the Jheff/Richardson modified version over the Rick Lax's version because the version I perform has no counting procedure for the selection and is far easier to follow. It is direct to the point without any distraction.
I also noticed that the Rick Lax's version doesn't fly well when done with one spectator only because there is too much for him to remember: the card, the 1st number and the 2nd number (owners will know what I mean) and they often ask about what number I am talking about.

Rick Lax's effect is not a bad one but I am still strongly recommending the Jheff/Richardson's one if you want to perform a true ACAAN (I know, Rick Kax's effect is not an ACAAN but some people bought it thinking it was one so this is why I am comparing them).
Gaijin, thanks for the kind words about my routine.

(You may want to check out Acumental, which is also in my book. It looks so easy and obvious, and it is to magicians, but it absolutely fries laymen. I actually prefer this one over Double-Barreled, though I do like both.)

- Jheff
Reactions are what matters. To my surprise, I've received some great reactions from this. Even those who speculate it's an auto-working 'numbers' trick still can't decipher how exactly it works.
I agree that many counting tricks can be dull. But this one is dressed up nicely enough whereby any reasonably competent performer should be able to make this entertaining. I will admit that this isn't going to be performed in my paid work but I have been enjoying performing it in casual situations and the reactions have been excellent.
That effect is in Karl Fulves Self-Working Card Tricks. It is a little different but similar.
Allen
Okay, so this debate reminded me of (don't shoot!) that whole Individual Mandate discussion when the Affordable Healthcare Act was passed (in the USA).

The politicians, on one hand, say it's not a tax, but the politicians' lawyers defend it before the Supreme Court as a tax. However, it's not a tax, it's a penalty. How can you tax something you never purchased?

Yes, no, both, maybe, aaahhhhhI don't know. My brain's atoms are about to split! :firedevil: :angel:

The idea of this trick is good... but the explanation is wrong.... Rick Lax ask the first spectator to select a number between "20 and 40"...
Try "20" or some other numbers up to 20... If you follow the given instructions for the second spectator, you'll be very disappointed...
[quote]On Aug 29, 2018, Patrice wrote:
The idea of this trick is good... but the explanation is wrong.... Rick Lax ask the first spectator to select a number between "20 and 40"...
Try "20" or some other numbers up to 20... If you follow the given instructions for the second spectator, you'll be very disappointed... [/quote]

???

All numbers from 20 - 40 work.
I've tested them all. Including the extremes, 20 and 40.

As long as the second spectator is given the correct range as explained in the video, the method works perfectly fine.
Twenty isn't between 20 and 40. The numbers 21 through 39 are between 20 and 40.

But I'm a coder, so this detail matters. I'm not sure if it matters for the presentation.
Try "20" or some other numbers up to 20... If you follow the given instructions for the second spectator, you'll be very disappointed... [/quote]

There's a whole thread on this at http://www.penguinmagic.com/q/how-does-it-work-for-initial-selection-of-20-or-21/5b72e8b941b86a170de266fa for people who own the effect. People who don't shouldn't need to get into the details at that level.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Aug 29, 2018 01:29PM)
Well all I know is this everytime without fail that I've performed this it has been received extremely well and I love the responses so take that for what it's worth I would definitely buy this trick all over again if I didn't know the secret to it.

Good magic to all,

Eric
I gave it a shot and looks good to me. Excited to try it!
I don't want to reveal the trick but...
Let's imagine that the first spectator choose number 21... that is between 20 and 40 :-)
Now, according to the instructions given by Rick Lax, you can imagine that the second spectator takes 25 cards off the deck...
the trick will not work...
Let's imagine that the first spectator choose number 21... that is between 20 and 40 :-)
Now, according to the instructions given by Rick Lax, you can imagine that the second spectator takes 25 cards off the deck...
the trick will not work... [/quote]

There's a whole thread on this at http://www.penguinmagic.com/q/how-does-it-work-for-initial-selection-of-20-or-21/5b72e8b941b86a170de266fa for people who own the effect. People who don't shouldn't need to get into the details at that level.
The positive reviews from people who have bought this far outweigh the negative from all Iíve read here and other places. Like 9 positive to every one negative and yet somehow the negative posters have managed to keep this thread near the top of the forum for weeks. We get it, a few of you donít like it, donít understand it and it isnít for you. Let it go. Iíve never understood why some people are so determined to try and change peopleís opinion about a magic trick. itís not like youíre arguing about politics.
Politics should be discussed as well as well as the other taboo topics. Face it Rick is cool the trick rocks. This is the bomb. Get your number and start showing cards. Good trick.

Thanks Rick (et al)

I like it

karl
[quote]On Aug 29, 2018, Slackerking wrote:
We get it, a few of you donít like it, donít understand it and it isnít for you. Let it go. Iíve never understood why some people are so determined to try and change peopleís opinion about a magic trick. itís not like youíre arguing about politics. [/quote]

People are probably discussing their opinion of a magic trick on here because this is a forum to discuss magic tricks, not a politics forum.

Just a wild guess.
You ask the second spectator to take off a small packet of cards. They will usually take off 10-12... Not a problem, for me at least.
The problem is not to change people's opinion and to keep this thread near the top of the forum but just to inform people.
Give a look to the number of my post...
I own this trick and was very happy with it... but when I heard that in some cases, the trick would not work, I verified and I found that it was true. Then I'm not sure to go on using it. Some French people have sometimes(often) a very special relationship with Magic. They try to "play" with the magician. Ask them to take a number between 20 and 40 and they will choose 20 or 21... According to Rick Lax's instructions, ask a second person to take less than half of the deck and they will take exactly 26 cards. It is not my fault if the trick don't work in these case (and some few other cases)...
I read many assumptions on this post about this trick - from people who don't know how it works - The trailer has many cuts and people imagine how this effect works... The idea is really good (and I really like Rick Lax's magic) but just be aware that this trick does not work every time...
And what about performing a trick if you are not sure that it will do the job and that you have no other way to end it ?
[quote]On Aug 29, 2018, Slackerking wrote:
The positive reviews from people who have bought this far outweigh the negative from all Iíve read here and other places. Like 9 positive to every one negative and yet somehow the negative posters have managed to keep this thread near the top of the forum for weeks. We get it, a few of you donít like it, donít understand it and it isnít for you. Let it go. Iíve never understood why some people are so determined to try and change peopleís opinion about a magic trick. itís not like youíre arguing about politics. [/quote]

Suck it up or leave the cafŤ.
[quote]On Aug 30, 2018, Patrice wrote:
The idea is really good (and I really like Rick Lax's magic) but just be aware that this trick does not work every time...
And what about performing a trick if you are not sure that it will do the job and that you have no other way to end it ? [/quote]

Have you read the thread at http://www.penguinmagic.com/q/how-does-it-work-for-initial-selection-of-20-or-21/5b72e8b941b86a170de266fa ? It explains what to do in the circumstances you describe.
[quote]On Aug 30, 2018, Patrice wrote:
The problem is not to change people's opinion and to keep this thread near the top of the forum but just to inform people.
Give a look to the number of my post...
I own this trick and was very happy with it... but when I heard that in some cases, the trick would not work, I verified and I found that it was true. Then I'm not sure to go on using it. Some French people have sometimes(often) a very special relationship with Magic. They try to "play" with the magician. Ask them to take a number between 20 and 40 and they will choose 20 or 21... According to Rick Lax's instructions, ask a second person to take less than half of the deck and they will take exactly 26 cards. It is not my fault if the trick don't work in these case (and some few other cases)...
I read many assumptions on this post about this trick - from people who don't know how it works - The trailer has many cuts and people imagine how this effect works... The idea is really good (and I really like Rick Lax's magic) but just be aware that this trick does not work every time...
And what about performing a trick if you are not sure that it will do the job and that you have no other way to end it ? [/quote]

Thank you for your posts, Patrice. Truly a magician helping other magicians.

I hope Rick Lax will be offering refunds.
Novasteeple gave an interesting link to solve the problem...
Many thanks to him. The instructions video for the trick does not explain that - in some cases - you can't apply the method explained.
The video does show it. Can't believe how many people don't pay attention.

Jim
[quote]On Aug 30, 2018, J-Mac wrote:
Jim [/quote]

The video shows the general method with the subtlety to succeed... Nowhere in the video is explained the fact that, sometimes, you have to adapt the method...
[quote]On Aug 30, 2018, J-Mac wrote:

Jim [/quote]
Hi Jim,

Iím obviously guilty of not paying attention. Can you tell us the time on the video we can find the explanation for the numbers that donít work?
I am also interesting to know the time on the video we can find the explanation for the numbers that donít work? Thanks
Of all the card tricks you could possibly perform and you resort to this nonsense. :confused:
This trick is interesting... It is a sort of challenge to try to improve it ... ;-).
But I agree there are many other very good card tricks to perform.
[quote]On Sep 18, 2018, Patrice wrote:
This trick is interesting... It is a sort of challenge to try to improve it ... ;-).
But I agree there are many other very good card tricks to perform. [/quote]

John Carey kind of took it as a challenge to try and improve it and shows his version in the recent Alakazam Academy series.
It's an interesting take on it and very good IMO.

https://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-Magic-of-The-Masters-4-with-John-Carey-19th-September.html
There really ARE solutions to the problems created for this effect by some of the numbers spectators may choose. The links provided above to the Penguin website give at least some of these solutions (including one by me). I did not find anything by Rick Lax on the video that addressed the solutions, which I find surprising.
Its not in the links...
I've shown this around now more than a few times and it has always played very strong.

If you get a number you perceive as problematic, ask for another.

As for me, this trick works - is strong and entertaining.

Oscar
There's a trick called "Hidden Power" in "My Best Self-Working Card Tricks" by Karl Fulves. It is similar to Rick Lax's trick, though it's not a transposition.
[quote]On Nov 5, 2018, iamslow wrote:
Its not in the links... [/quote]

What's not in the links?
the trick will not work... [/quote]

An old post but.....

To clarify...

The first spec chooses 21 and yes, that is indeed between 20 and 40! You compute your secret number, however, the number 20 is the maximum number you tell them to remove from the deck ("...less than 20" if the first spec chooses a number less than 25), otherwise you won't have enough cards to count when going through the deck later.