(Close Window)
Topic: Lie Detector - Favorite Version
What is your favorite version of the Lie Detector trick? Any references or links to video performances are greatly appreciated.
"Automatic Lie Speller" from [i]The Card Magic of Nick Trost[/i]. But, don't just take my word for it - from the book, Ed Marlo is quoted as saying that it is the best lie detector plot he had ever seen.
Ron Bauer has a very nice version. So does Steven Youell. I don't know of any videos though.

Mike
Check out J.C. Wagner. This effect as well as many other USEABLE effects are on his bar magic dvds
"Commercial Magic" youtube has a sampling of effects on the Dvds. He has since passed away but his magic lives on.
Boy! You might even want to check out my VOICE PRINT and IT'S NOT EASY TO LIE in Jaw Droppers Two and there's an update - a strong update - to THAT'S THE TRUTH! (in Jaw Droppers One) coming in And Finally! You guys really gotta' start reading the good stuff!
Bruno Copin also has a nice take on this plot. You can watch on his Penguin Live Lecture.
I really like the visual aspect of it. It gives a different feeling to the routine.
This is definitely one of my favourite plots, my main go to versions at the moment is my own variation of Harry Lorayne's fantastic Voice Print ( the only difference being the questions asked ).

I also have another version which has 2 cards selected with both being revealed in separate card packets think the old 9 card version but with the added kicker of both cards being the odd coloured card in their respective packets.

Michael Vincent also has a really nice version but I'm not sure if he has released it anywhere https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fovMVEr2TFk
[quote]On Aug 17, 2018, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Boy! You might even want to check out my VOICE PRINT and IT'S NOT EASY TO LIE in Jaw Droppers Two and there's an update - a strong update - to THAT'S THE TRUTH! (in Jaw Droppers One) coming in And Finally! You guys really gotta' start reading the good stuff! [/quote]

You forgot Spel[l]Egant from Apocalypse; it's one of my favorite effects to perform. Period.
As Harry mentions in Spel(l)Egant, the method is basically the Steinmeyer Nine Card Problem which was published in MAGIC Magazine 1993. Dave Solomon redid the concept using seven cards. Solomon eliminates the "of" phase but the workings are the same.

Mike
Absolutely, Vlad, that's a lovely lie-detector version

My favorite in that category - and pretty much a favorite, period - is the version of That's The Truth! that's in AND FINALLY! It's different, it's entertaining, it of course fools the heck out of all, and the ending I've added really "closes that circle."
[quote]On Aug 17, 2018, Mike Powers wrote:
Ron Bauer has a very nice version. So does Steven Youell. I don't know of any videos though.

Mike [/quote]

Ron Bauer's version can be found in [url=http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S3697][i]L.I.N.T. Pocket Stuff for Close-Up Magicians[/i][/url] (Luka in New Tops) by John Luka.

Steven Youell's version, "The Card Trick That Has No Explanation," can be found in [i]Weapons of Mass Destruction[/i], available from [url=http://www.practicenotincluded.com/]Practice Not Included[/url] (Full disclosure: I'm the copyright holder and the one selling this through Amazon).

It can also be found in [url]https://www.lybrary.com/steven-youell-teaches-advanced-card-techniques-p-70.html[/url] (not sold by me).

Andru
Some more digging turned up this thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=190375&forum=2
I like "The Inconsistent Liar" from Roy Walton's first book, "The Devil's Playthings;" later reprinted in The Complete Walton, Volume 1.
I like Perfect Speller, by Bruce Cervon. Rich Cowley often closes his table sets at the Magic Castle with his handling of this trick. In his hands, this one looks like a miracle.
[quote]On Aug 17, 2018, warren wrote:
Michael Vincent also has a really nice version but I'm not sure if he has released it anywhere https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fovMVEr2TFk [/quote]
Wonderful ploys in here! The "programming" part with the succeeding fair(!) shuffle of the cards almost lead me down the garden path. But then everything fell in place and I succesfully tried it on my wife. Sneaky little routine and nicely presented. Thanks for sharing. :cheers:
Thanks for the feedback.

I've gone with a variation of Steinmyer's 9 Card Problem.

Set down 3 piles of 3 cards each. Use Gene Finnell's Free-Cut Principle which I first saw in a John Carey video for the initial card placement. An overhand shuffle to get the card into the correct position. Another overhand shuffle keeping card in correct position. Then the currently popular Ose false cut. Ask the spectator name and suite of card, they can lie or tell the truth spelling a card for each letter. Finally getting to their card by ask if they told the truth or were some of their answers lies turning over the appropriate card.

Simple and works well.

Kevin
Danny Garcia has a good one on his Penguin Lecture. I also like Peter Duffie's, can't remember what it's called at the moment, I think Aldo Colombini teaches it on a dvd.

Yehuda
[quote]On Sep 23, 2018, YRauch wrote:
Danny Garcia has a good one on his Penguin Lecture. I also like Peter Duffie's, can't remember what it's called at the moment, I think Aldo Colombini teaches it on a dvd.

Yehuda [/quote]
Just remembered, I believe it's called "Absolute Truth."

Yehuda
Cameron Francis's "Nothing But The Truth" - Most dealers carry it for around $25.
These are the three favorites I have encountered so far in my return to amateur magic.
Nick Trost "Automatic Lie Speller" and Cameron Francis's "Nothing but the Truth."
I just recently discovered "ACME Lie Detector" in Colombini's Impromptu Card Magic.

Phil
Another new easy worker that I came across recently and I like. Nick Trost 8 card lie speller in Subtle Card Creations Vol. 4.
Phil
That's the Truth by Harry Lorayne.
Steven Youell’s version is stellar. If you have access to the back issues of Magic Magazine be sure to check out the May 1993 issue. I believe it may have been the first explanation of Jim Steinmeyers Nine Card Problem. I mention this because it has a swell version of the Lie Detector Plot using Jim’s great procedure. It’s called Dunbury Lie Speller by Jon Racherbaumer. At the very least, there’s a very nice card control from Marlo written in the description.
[quote]On Feb 25, 2021, Ed Oschmann wrote:
Steven Youell’s version is stellar. If you have access to the back issues of Magic Magazine be sure to check out the May 1993 issue. I believe it may have been the first explanation of Jim Steinmeyers Nine Card Problem. I mention this because it has a swell version of the Lie Detector Plot using Jim’s great procedure. It’s called Dunbury Lie Speller by Jon Racherbaumer. At the very least, there’s a very nice card control from Marlo written in the description. [/quote]
Hello Ed,

Thanks for the info! I looked up the Trost "8 card lie speller" again. In his intro he said it was a combination of a reverse faro followed by Steinmeyers nine card problem - though done with 8 cards!
So I've been into magic for over 25 years. I read the title of the trick and thought, yeah I do that with nothing more than a key card and a bunch of showmanship about how my fingers are so sensitive I'm like a human lie detector. Then I read the thread and find out it's a completely different plot, with different handling and stories. Learn something new every day.

I quite like the Michael Vincent lie detector routine. I have Youell's Weapons of Mass Destruction and his version of this is solid as well. Something about Vincent having those three piles all indicate the chosen card while finishing with the card being cut to builds up the finish quite nicely.

Anyways, thanks for starting this thread and turning me onto a new effect. Fwiw, Vincent did publish his Lie Detector routine on his [url=https://www.alakazam.co.uk/synergy-dvd-by-michael-vincent.html?]Synergy DVD, which is currently 17.39 at Alakzam USA[/url], and is presently on its way to me. Hopefully, Vincent's routine is within my capabilities.
[quote]On Feb 27, 2021, Kaliix wrote:
So I've been into magic for over 25 years. I read the title of the trick and thought, yeah I do that with nothing more than a key card and a bunch of showmanship about how my fingers are so sensitive I'm like a human lie detector. Then I read the thread and find out it's a completely different plot, with different handling and stories. Learn something new every day.

I quite like the Michael Vincent lie detector routine. I have Youell's Weapons of Mass Destruction and his version of this is solid as well. Something about Vincent having those three piles all indicate the chosen card while finishing with the card being cut to builds up the finish quite nicely.

Anyways, thanks for starting this thread and turning me onto a new effect. Fwiw, Vincent did publish his Lie Detector routine on his [url=https://www.alakazam.co.uk/synergy-dvd-by-michael-vincent.html?]Synergy DVD, which is currently 17.39 at Alakzam USA[/url], and is presently on its way to me. Hopefully, Vincent's routine is within my capabilities. [/quote]

Looks good Kaliix! Thanks for the info. I'm tempted but I wonder if it requires a perfect small packet faro (as seen in the video demo)?

Phil
FYI, here is a compilation of impromptu card magic by Aldo Colombini that contains several Lie Detector effects that use Steinmeyer's "Nine Card Problem"

https://www.lybrary.com/impromptu-card-magic-p-74716.html

Phil
That is a fantastic book and well worth the money
Hi
Liar’s club from A.Elmsley !!
In my opinion the best ...
M.Vincent used it on his latest vidéo .....
Pascal
What we now know as the "Lie Detector" was created by Ron Bauer around 1959-1960. Although it wasn't published until the 90s in the [i]New Tops[/i] (reprinted in John Luka's book [i]L.I.N.T.[/i]), it is STILL the best version out there!
Agree with the post above.
(Sp)elegant- Lorayne
A couple of beauties in J.C's book too.
I agree with MagicFish’s post. “That’s the Truth” by Harry Lorayne.
Both 'That's the Truth' by Harry Lorayne and 'One no is once enough is not enough' by Bob Farmer credit a common ancestor in Howard Lyons. I came up with a stack I can cull on the fly that works for both.
What is the source for the original Howard Lyons effect?
Well worth checking out Mike Close's Lie Detector from the Workers series