(Close Window)
Topic: My new Magic Chest
Message: Posted by: servant (Aug 28, 2018 12:26PM)
I picked up this quaint chest at an Estate Sale. I still need to clean it up and then it will be ready to start housing all my props.
Message: Posted by: Tom Cutts (Aug 28, 2018 04:24PM)
Wow, you don't often find them with the belts intact.
Message: Posted by: servant (Aug 28, 2018 05:13PM)
[quote]On Aug 28, 2018, Tom Cutts wrote:
Wow, you don't often find them with the belts intact. [/quote]

Thanks for cleaning up my post faux pas. I thought I could post a second photo, but nothing happened each time I tried.

Do you know more about this type of chest? The belt is broken on the left side but really adds to the mystique.
Message: Posted by: Cleverpaws (Aug 28, 2018 09:00PM)
You should check out www.brettunsvillage.com
I did a quick search of a book called "Trunks, Traveling Bags & Satchels" and didn't see an exact match to yours. Most have two metal latches as well as the lock, although I did find a few examples in the book I have similar to yours. Brettuns Village is a good source for replacement parts and they have a list of over 400 trunk makers.
Message: Posted by: Rook (Aug 28, 2018 09:57PM)
Nice! That is a great find. Thanks, also, to Cleverpaws for the Brettuns Village site. Fascinating browsing!
Message: Posted by: servant (Aug 29, 2018 06:32AM)
[quote]On Aug 28, 2018, Cleverpaws wrote:
You should check out www.brettunsvillage.com
I did a quick search of a book called "Trunks, Traveling Bags & Satchels" and didn't see an exact match to yours. Most have two metal latches as well as the lock, although I did find a few examples in the book I have similar to yours. Brettuns Village is a good source for replacement parts and they have a list of over 400 trunk makers. [/quote]

Thanks for the link! You're awesome!
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Aug 29, 2018 10:30PM)
Great find, I would not, Clean it up as you say. Just a light cleaning, it is better to look like you worked the road shows a lot. On Amazon you can get luggage stickers that will make it even more interesting. Maybe a good idea to create a story behind it.

If you need to repair the strap, seek out a Shoe Repair store. They also work on luggage, purses, and most anything leather. They may have advice or products to help the life of the case and leather.
Message: Posted by: servant (Aug 30, 2018 10:53AM)
[quote]On Aug 29, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Great find, I would not, Clean it up as you say. Just a light cleaning, it is better to look like you worked the road shows a lot. On Amazon you can get luggage stickers that will make it even more interesting. Maybe a good idea to create a story behind it.

If you need to repair the strap, seek out a Shoe Repair store. They also work on luggage, purses, and most anything leather. They may have advice or products to help the life of the case and leather. [/quote]

Good points. I'm torn on the torn leather straps. I like the fact that they are so worn. I think I'll talk to a shoe repair store. That's a great idea.

Thanks again!
Message: Posted by: Wizard of Oz (Aug 30, 2018 09:03PM)
[quote]On Aug 28, 2018, Cleverpaws wrote:
You should check out www.brettunsvillage.com
I did a quick search of a book called "Trunks, Traveling Bags & Satchels" and didn't see an exact match to yours. Most have two metal latches as well as the lock, although I did find a few examples in the book I have similar to yours. Brettuns Village is a good source for replacement parts and they have a list of over 400 trunk makers. [/quote]


I love this! Thank you.
Message: Posted by: Cleverpaws (Aug 31, 2018 11:35AM)
Glad I could post something useful!
I've always been interested in old trunks and a couple years ago a customer sent me a vintage one to convert into a humidor and cocktail bar.
Since then I've been really hooked on vintage trunks and researching the makers.

Here's a couple of links to the photos of that trunk if anyone is interested in seeing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j40o08zzstxm6t1/LV%20open.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5l95dfp1i07xvc/LV%20interior.JPG?dl=0
Message: Posted by: Rook (Aug 31, 2018 12:09PM)
That is beautiful! I have an old steamer that I can't do anything with!
Message: Posted by: Wizard of Oz (Aug 31, 2018 08:31PM)
That is some beautiful work Cleverpaws!
Message: Posted by: Cleverpaws (Aug 31, 2018 09:55PM)
Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if I should post something that wasn't magic related, but I guess it's ok.
Now back to the original trunk servant posted: The photo looks like it may have had a metal latch next to each strap? And is the green or what looks green in the photo, metal or painted canvas?
Message: Posted by: Wizard of Oz (Sep 1, 2018 09:41AM)
[quote]On Aug 31, 2018, Cleverpaws wrote:
Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if I should post something that wasn't magic related, but I guess it's ok.[/quote]

Cocktails and cigars can be magical!
Message: Posted by: Wravyn (Sep 1, 2018 06:42PM)
Servant, great find... What are your plans for it?
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Sep 2, 2018 06:19AM)
Another bit of advice. If the trunk smells when you open it, you can use Arm & Hammer Odor Eliminator, just sprinkle it in, and let it set for an hour. Then vacuum it out. You might have to turn the trunk on different sides, as the powder should set on each area. It actually works very well.
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Sep 3, 2018 04:17AM)
Another tip, it is best you store each trick in a sealed plastic bag, with the instructions or DVD, so everything for that effect is complete. If you plan to not use this trunk for transportation, then do not store the trunk in a basement or attic, the ex-stream heat and cold will destroy your props, as well as the leather trunk. Dry rot in basements and temperatures as high as 200 degrees, and as low as below freezing in attics will destroy everything together.
Message: Posted by: Ihop (Sep 3, 2018 11:41AM)
Unless of course your basement or attic is climate controlled.
I store all my magic supplies in my basement. It is quite large, full basement, and maintained at 68 degrees and 40% humidity all year round.
So yes, you can store your magic equipment in a basement or attic if it is climate controlled.
I also have my workshop there with all my power tools.
No rot or damage.
Message: Posted by: servant (Sep 4, 2018 10:09AM)
[quote]On Sep 2, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Another bit of advice. If the trunk smells when you open it, you can use Arm & Hammer Odor Eliminator, just sprinkle it in, and let it set for an hour. Then vacuum it out. You might have to turn the trunk on different sides, as the powder should set on each area. It actually works very well. [/quote]

Thank you Bill! The inside definitely smells. I wiped it down for now, but I'm going to try this.
Message: Posted by: servant (Sep 4, 2018 10:11AM)
[quote]On Sep 3, 2018, Ihop wrote:
Unless of course your basement or attic is climate controlled.
I store all my magic supplies in my basement. It is quite large, full basement, and maintained at 68 degrees and 40% humidity all year round.
So yes, you can store your magic equipment in a basement or attic if it is climate controlled.
I also have my workshop there with all my power tools.
No rot or damage. [/quote]

This is good to know. I don't have a basement (we live in North Texas and actually, I've never seen a house with a basement).

I'll probably keep the chest and its contents in my bedroom somewhere. The trunk is a good display piece anyway.
Message: Posted by: servant (Sep 4, 2018 10:12AM)
[quote]On Sep 1, 2018, Wravyn wrote:
Servant, great find... What are your plans for it? [/quote]

I plan to store my props in it, and if I do a show, I'll set it up for the gig. I'd love to open it and have smoke come pouring out, but not sure if I can rig it properly or not.
Message: Posted by: servant (Sep 4, 2018 10:16AM)
[quote]On Aug 31, 2018, Cleverpaws wrote:
Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if I should post something that wasn't magic related, but I guess it's ok.
Now back to the original trunk servant posted: The photo looks like it may have had a metal latch next to each strap? And is the green or what looks green in the photo, metal or painted canvas? [/quote]

The only latch is in the middle. The leather straps have belt buckles to hold them shut. The latch in the middle is broken, and the lock itself is broken.

The chest itself is made of brass. It's really quite beautiful. The top also has some thin wood that runs across it.

I'll try to find a way to upload some better photos. I couldn't figure out how to do it here.
Message: Posted by: servant (Sep 4, 2018 10:18AM)
You can see my reddit post here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Antiques/comments/99ymoi/how_old_might_this_be/

It has better photos.
Message: Posted by: Cleverpaws (Sep 4, 2018 06:07PM)
Brettunsvillage has a lock that looks very similar for $10. If so you could take just the upper section of your old lock off and replace it with the new one.
I think the trunk is newer than one might hope, due to the wood strips being plywood rather than solid wood. However the fact that it has brass exterior makes it more unique and a great find.