(Close Window)
Topic: Greg Frewin
How can I contact Greg Frewin? Does he have an email address?

Mike
Have you tried his web site

http://www.gregfrewin.com

I checked for you he only has Fax, phone, and mail address available. No email. Sorry.
When I am in the office tomorrow, I will look up Greg's business card and see if there is an email address.
Does anyone have these DVDs?

http://www.gregfrewin.com/frewin_product.html

Are they great?

I imagine they are amazing!!

Do tell...

:)

Jim
Hi Jim,

ALL 3 DVD are GREAT! Very informative info on Dove magic!

The only con (In my personal view) is that the demo of his sleeve toss performances is a little obvious, expect to be seamless, but the dove can be seen before toss :)

The hook up use by Greg is only bending the wire on the lapel, but I expect more hook up options.

Overall it is very, very good! I belive it is the best investment any doveworker can receive from his video.

p/s: Remember to ask for his autograph too! :)

Hope this helps. :)
doveboy
Thanks Dove Boy!!!

Anyone else have the 3-disk set?

:)

Jim
I have the DVD's as well, they are very good! Everything you need to know is on there. Allot of the stuff on the DVDs is a different view point of stuff that has already been published (ie. training methods). They are very very good videos and you will not be disapointed.

Darcy
Worked with Greg last year and couple of other conventions over the years. What most people fail to realize is that act (with the one exception) can be done in a pair of swimming trunks.

Greg's work is impeccable. You should see it from backstage. It is even more amazing. What Greg uses for filling in his illusions are most guys feature act or routine. He designed and manufactured by himself his original illusions.

Add to all this, he is a great guy.

By the way, I did check and I did not have an email for him.
I've got Greg's DVDs as well and have to agree that they are the best out there. His dove training techniques are very detailed. He also covers quite a bit on the alterations of your jacket and what's even more surprising is that he actually sews the alterations and dove bags himself. The way his pockets are sewn is also out of this world. Maybe it's time for me to learn how to sew or use the sewing machine. I was always looking out for a great illusion but after watching his DVDs, I'm actually interested and have been checking out sewing machines.
I always was glad I took that class in high school called boys home economics. Sewing up your own covers and such is much easier than trying to explain it to a seamstress.
In response to the dove in sleeve load. It is obvious if you are not wearing white sleeves. For demonstration purposes I did not wear any shirt sleeves so that it was easier to see. Later in the discussion on costuming I touched base on the sleeve being white will hide the visual of a white dove. Also if you put ruffles around that sleeve it will help in hiding as well. I have as mentioned on the dvd a gimmick that will allow sleeve toss style productions with no load in sleeve. This I use in my act and will be out soon. Keep an eye in magic for details. This will change dove magic for sure. Thanks for your comments Greg Frewin.
When do you suppose the new gimick will be out on the market? It sounds killer!

Darcy
Welcome to the Café Greg. I have enjoyed watching your Dove act. I will be watching you again tonight on T.V {it is the Creative Magic of Las Vegas series}.
Greg's E-mail address is frewinmagic@aol.com
His web site is http://www.gregfrewin.com
Welcome Greg! Say hi to Alana and Art for me.

Did you buy any good bubble gum lately?
Greg,

I really enjoyed you in Double Vision.

Mind boggling creativity there.. really a pleasure to watch.

Best of luck in all your ventures!

Dr Magic
Greg Frewin new sleeve production device will make a lot of doves scratching on the walls in the next future!

Too muny magicians forget that to use sleeve toss or throwing techniques the birds have to be trained to come back. Please don't forget you use live animals!

ARNO
Do you have his sleevless production? If so is it good?
I couldn't agree more with Arno. It is very important to realize that just because you have a bird doesn't mean that it will automatically fly back to you. It takes a lot of time and effort on your part to train them, I know I have been through it for myself and have evn trained birds for others.

MDS
Why don't you just put the dove in your sleeve? I guess I don't see the advantage to this gimmick or really understand the purpose of the aparatus, fill me in here...
Dan, the gimmick allows a sleeve toss type of production without wearing sleeves.
I sort of agree with Dan. This gimmick only allows side arm production NO front toss.

I must admit Greg Frewin is one of the Best dove worker in the world, unfortunately for this gimmmick, I will think twice to buy it cos I saw 3 live shows & Greg Frewin's One hr special Magic at Sea, twice it flashes.

For the 3 live shows I saw, it flash once because I am sitting on the extreme left. The other 2 times, I was sitting the the front. So was perfect. This looks sort like a card producing gimmick on your back palm, instead with cards but is a dove. Angle is very limited & critical, not mentioning after the dove is produced, you again need to dispose the gimmick. Hence I will still go for sleeve load.

On his one hour TV special, it flashes twice when he produce it from the ROPE/Knot routine to dove and a little when he (with gimmick in hand) hold another dove & 'slice' it becomes 2 doves. This special is shown on Canada network. I belive Greg uses 2 gimmicks for his dove act.

But still I admire his creativity of combining the idea of a card producing device with a dove for his act. I believe sometimes he comes out with his sleeve folded up first before releasing them. This really shows that there is nothing up the sleeve. Overall this is still a brillant invention, unfortunately I am unable to use it...but I will keep a watch out for his future products which I am sure it will be great like the 2 bag bounch into the bag ..change into doves....etc :)

Hope this helps :)
dove-boy
Really you can't do a front toss? I came across the add in Magic and it says that you can do a front toss or side arm toss. Interesting!

MDS
Hi MDS

I can't really comment whether front toss is workable, but from my personal view is impossible because gimmicks with dove on back hand, how to toss straight, unless 45 degree hands up? Dove will land on the floor. That's not workable, not mentioning you still need get rid of the gimmick. Toss to tail pocket..hmm?

Anyway Greg uses only side arm on his act with his Rope/Knot to dove & cutting the dove into 2, all side arm.

Though the dove not in sleeve, but sleeve must still be down to hide the gimmick more. If sleeve folds up, only arms. I'm not sure if entire gimmick can be conceal fully with just the arm & hand.

Anyway what I saw Greg does is he came out with his sleeve folded up. After a while, he pulls his sleeve down before he uses the gimmick. Or perhaps the gimmick has been modified to fit WITHOUT wearing sleeve, then I may buy one to test it out. But if with sleeve still down, then it serve no purpose because the audeince might think the dove still comes from sleeve (sleeve small or big does not make a difference to the audience), unless wearing no sleeve and dove can be produced, without angle problem. Then this is a great gimmick. Me the first to buy :)

Hope this helps
doveboy
That is very true.

Thanx,

MDS
I don't know, it seems like a hefty investiment for a gimmick that is pretty testy. Does anyone own it yet and if so what's your experience with it?
I agree! I would need to hear more about it from someone who owns it.
It is a hefty investment, but very intriguing (which is why I checked out this topic). I may be mistaken, but several years ago, when Frewin first started using the gimmick, he had sleeves that looked like a grid (or a net) and you could see through the sleeve, to his arm, and out the back. That would eliminate the possibility that the loads were coming out of the sleeve and make the toss production more impressive. However, one needs to ask if the audience is really looking at that. If anyone has experience with the gimmick, I'd be interested in hearing what you think of it's practicality.
I agree.

I would like to hear if anyone has bought the gimmick? And how it has turned out?

James
Though I saw Greg perform live thrice & don't quite like the idea of the gimmick. I still buy it because I love to collect dove magic effects. Also I have 3 flyback doves. will try it with my third bird, but it seems a long time to get here. Greg Frewin posted about 2 weeks but I yet to receive, I will post a review when I receive them anytime now.
I was just watching his dove act on 'The Greatest Magic on Earth' and I don't beleive he uses the gimmick. He uses a sleeve toss when he does the knot to dove. You can see him flick open the thing holding his sleeve shut just before he does it. Therefore the gimmick isn't used. Also, there isn't a moment before he does the knot to dove that he could gain posession of the dove. Just a thought.

James
Watch his 1 hr special, MAGIC AT SEA. He uses 2 of this gimmick for his knot to dove & cutting the dove into 2 with knife.

In 1994, he is still using the sleeve method, actually, the sleeve looks more clean to me :)

But if you combined both the sleeve & this gimmick,maybe it will works fine to fool the audience......I am not too sure...just hope the gimmick is not too big for my hand as Greg flashes himself too.......hope to receive 2day...
A bit pricey considering you could just do a regular dove toss.....
Any one wants to resale his DVD set? I can't afford to pay the full price now.
I hear that it is awesome though.

MDS
Can anyone give some more details about the actual effects taught on this? Does it range from beginner to intermediate or is it just beginner tricks.
Nick
I am in search of a dove production, something that is classy but fits in my trunk/ case. For my other dove I use a dove pan.
Dove Streamer is a very good option and only runs about $65. I have it listed on my sight.

I am not sure about what you mean by "Classy". I do understand the packing problems so I won't even mention my Dove Production Cage that Rick Thomas uses.

Richard
Hi All,
I am new here so if I am doing this wrong, I apologize right up front. I have purchased Greg Frewins Sleeveless Dove Gimmick. It hasnt arrived yet, I got an e-mail from Greg and it should be here this week. Plus he has added an improvement so that is exciting! From speaking to him regarding this item, it is much like other gimmicks in that, it is designed to fool "those in the know". It is the performer, not the gimmick, that truly creates the magic. I will post again when I receive it and ofer my opinion, but I am guessing I will love it. Greg is a great guy and creates / produces very nice items. Regarding the DVD's.....BUY THEM TODAY! Period. They tell you everything you need to know about how to create your own Dove act.
Thanks for listening,
Tony
I do not own the gimmick in discussion, but I have played with it while Greg looked on and told me how... It is a very cool, very clever gimmick that will suit some peoples needs, but not all. Basically, one advantage is the obvious, not having the bird loaded in your sleeve. You can load it in the gimmick, earlier than you would in your sleeve. Dove is comfortable, and you can worry about other presets... Most people know, NOT having a bird in your sleeve is more comfortable than having a bird in your sleeve, because of this, most sleeve tosses have to be at the opening of the act, not this one. Also, you can do what looks like a sleeve toss (one of the strongest visual ways to produce a dove) with a normal coat, not tailored. Plus there are lots of sublties that can be taken advantage of... one being, you could push your sleeves up early in your act, subconsciencly telling the audience that nothing is hiding up there, let them down later, and then use the gimmick. Greg is not trying to replace loading birds in the sleeve. He has just provided another excellent option. Again, not everyone will be able to use it, but the people who find that their act lends itself to this gimmick, will highly benefit!!!
I will second Eric's remarks. While this device does fool those in the know, Greg devised it to fit a need for his act. To be able to work without sleeves and in warmer conditions to be able to protect the bird.

As I have said before, it is a great gimmick if you work to incorporate it into the natural flow of your act. But it is not for everyone.

Richard
Hi tdowell2007

Just check with Art Frewin, there is no improvement to the existing gimmick.

When I first bought the gimmick, I realised the gimmick is a little different from Greg as the device too hold the dove is build in the centre of the grip instead of all the way back as used by Greg.

I personally felt is a little flaw hence I sent back to correct it, this is important cos with the gimmick build all the way back, the sleeve can be folded up & conceal better.....Art correct it & build exactly the same as used by Greg.

Needless to say, I am very pleased with the modifcation.....guess the latest batch all build with this original feature....not sure why it was not build from the start :P

I love the gimmick a lot & very fun to play with..easy to use & very, very deceptive (if the angle is right)...the only problem I faces is how to load the gimmick into the table & steal it seamlessly, this can be worked out :)

A must buy for doveworker....highest recommendation! :)
Hi dove-boy,
Thanks for the info. I am really looking forward to receiving the item. Greg said he is shipping it tomorrow (tuesday) so I have a feeling thie weekend will be spent in the magic room practicing! LOL I am glad to hear you enjoy the effect. I will let you know when it comes.
TDowell, Im sure you recieved it.. LOL.. Im interested in your review of it..

Any help is appreciated! =]
-Vinnie