(Close Window)
Topic: What have you used more than anything else...
What's the 1 illusion that has given you the most mileage?
The illusion you've been able to perform the most...
The illusion that consistently gets you the best audience reaction...
My Owens Magic Rings and My Owens Magic Zig Zag illusion . I have performed for over 40 years. My Website magicstheater.com
[quote]On Nov 8, 2019, johnmagic wrote:
My Owens Magic Rings and My Owens Magic Zig Zag illusion . I have performed for over 40 years. My Website magicstheater.com [/quote]

Not surprised that the tried and true classics have gotten you the best mileage. Great to hear from you!
Mine is the chair suspension - only because it's the only "illusion" I had. I recently acquired a thin sawing and 3" hole sub trunk. I have a floating table I've used for 5-6 years - it gets fantastic reactions. Not sure if you consider this an illusion.
Zig zag.... chair suspension.... Iím seeing a Harbin type pattern here!

I count the floating table. Iíve seen it performed by several illusionists and it got better reactions than major illusions in the same show.

Do you use the chair suspension as much as the table?
I have a warehouse full of original illusions but as I look back over the years, the Sub Trunk has been the most often used illusion in all my shows. Works anywhere, always sells. I do have some original beats on it but it plays fast and strong.
I use the chair suspension much more often than the floating table, only because I do more kid shows than anything else. Kids 5 - 12 years old don't appreciate the floating table. As it floats they will sometimes chant "let it go, let it go". However, they seem to be in awe when they see one of their counterparts suspended. Kids can be a handful sometimes.
The subtrunk has been a part of my act since the 80's.... I've bought and performed a ton of Illusions.. but I still have the third one I ever owned. A Chalet. I can't imagine life without it
[quote]On Sep 20, 2018, thomasR wrote:
What's the 1 illusion that has given you the most mileage?
The illusion you've been able to perform the most...
The illusion that consistently gets you the best audience reaction... [/quote]

This one deceptive base has gotten me on TV in Malaysia a few times. I just refurbish it to suit different shows.😉

Here it is both a vanish AND an appearance in one go. A transformation of sorts.

https://youtu.be/dGPk4H_EOpE
I'd have to say Bo Staff Illusion. We've used it in every conceivable situation, venue, location and it always gets a very strong reaction.
[quote]On Jul 8, 2020, Murray Hatfield wrote:
I'd have to say Bo Staff Illusion. We've used it in every conceivable situation, venue, location and it always gets a very strong reaction. [/quote]

Interesting! That is a very versatile illusion that I wouldnít have initially thought of. Very cool.
The sub trunk always finds a way into my shows... Me and my sister HATE it, but the audience loves it so it stays.

Jonah
[quote]On Oct 2, 2020, Jonah_Illusionist wrote:
The sub trunk always finds a way into my shows... Me and my sister HATE it, but the audience loves it so it stays.

Jonah [/quote]

Such is life! The classics are classics for a reason. I don't work with a dedicated assistant so a sub trunk doesn't work for me but I've thought about getting an Assistant's Revenge to have that "metamorphosis" type of effect in my show.
While not technically a professional, I have been using a Don Drake Black Art set up for almost every Halloween event in the past 10 or more years.
It's very versatile when you get the lighting right!