(Close Window)
Topic: The NOTEBILL by JOTA
A great addition to your magic and mentalism arsenal!

The NOTEBILL is a tool that looks like a normal Post-it pad, and allows you to change a bill for another, invisibly, in front of the spectator's eyes. In addition to predicting or guessing the serial number, you can destroy, recompose or teleport the bill. In addition, you can force words, numbers or images from notes, pieces of newspaper, photos and much more!

The limit is your imagination!

It is specially designed from a super resistant plastic with leather finish. You can refill as many times as you need with standard size Post-its. It is very easy to perform, it works with any currency bill, and you can present it in close-up or for large audiences.

More information:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=63363
[quote]On Nov 12, 2018, MurphysNEW wrote:
A great addition to your magic and mentalism arsenal!

The NOTEBILL is a tool that looks like a normal Post-it pad, and allows you to change a bill for another, invisibly, in front of the spectator's eyes. In addition to predicting or guessing the serial number, you can destroy, recompose or teleport the bill. In addition, you can force words, numbers or images from notes, pieces of newspaper, photos and much more!

The limit is your imagination!

It is specially designed from a super resistant plastic with leather finish. You can refill as many times as you need with standard size Post-its. It is very easy to perform, it works with any currency bill, and you can present it in close-up or for large audiences.

More information:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=63363 [/quote]

I get the idea behind this, but the claim that it "looks like a normal Post-it pad" seems off, no? Sure the Post-it's look normal, but that giant case around it is not like any I've ever seen around a Post-it pad. I'm guessing most won't see the switch, so perhaps it's clever that way, but to me it screams of a magic prop.
Looks like a different application for The Amazing Prediction wallet?
[quote]On Nov 13, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Looks like a different application for The Amazing Prediction wallet? [/quote]

Uhhhh, yea.
I don't really get the switch then writing the serial num while you watch. What happens next?
Good point John. It seems like he's just reading it, as he writes?
Something just doesnít look right with this. I donít know if itís the black case, the bill disappearing under the case but then reappearing- Iím hoping Iím wrong as I just watched it the first time just now, but the first thing I thought was couldnít you do something like this without any gimmicks? This is a normal kind of switch, no?
I agree with no2ss, John, and Senor Fabuloso. First, this does not look like anything I've ever seen in an office-supply store. Second, that's the most unclear promo video I've seen in a long time. Yeah, I see how it works mechanically, but I'm not seeing the killer real-world use for it. Isn't that the exact opposite of what a promo video should do? Hide the method and sell the effect, not the other way around? Murphy's should re-shoot the whole thing to include a full performance of it being used to create an actual effect (assuming there is one...). Maybe there's something you could do with a pair of bills with sequential serial numbers that you... ah... messed with in advance, ringing in one of those for the borrowed bill???
Agree with others here. Not very impressive.
The principle has potential but the video didn't engage.
I concur with the comments above. The whole point of a serial # divination (in most cases) is to not see or have any contact with the bill. But in this case you're holding the folded bill while LOOKING straight down at the serial # while handing the writing surface over to the spectator. They must be assuming that the performer couldn't possibly memorize the serial # so quickly?

Maybe a better use for this would be to switch a folded billet but you'd still have to provide justification for employing a 'Post-It' note holder within the context of the routine. It just doesn't make any sense.

They really do need to re-shoot this video to show a full unedited performance of the pad holder being used in action. I really enjoy stealth/gadget devices but I don't have a clue what I'd do with this thing.
This is just a gimmicked thing that isn't needed. If you've studied Cassidy and osterlind then you know the sw#tch involved...
[quote]On Nov 13, 2018, IAIN wrote:
This is just a gimmicked thing that isn't needed. If you've studied Cassidy and osterlind then you know the sw#tch involved... [/quote]

Agree!
Boy, this is a tough crowd. There are things about this utility that I like: the natural actions of the switch and ending with clean hands. Yes, the unit definitely looks like a prop. RNK, I wonder if the same switch could be done with a spiral pad that opens like a book? Could you direct us to which of Bob's works has the move you were thinking of?
A tough crowd perhaps.
"A fool and his money are soon parted."
I prefer not to think how many times I fell for some new gizmo/prop/effect/whatever which something told me to avoid, only to be disappointed.
I mean, how much useless junk can a guy collect.
There comes a time that I think you just have to say to yourself, do I really need this, especially if it is not really going to improve your game so to speak?
[quote]On Nov 19, 2018, andrew124C41 wrote:
A tough crowd perhaps.
"A fool and his money are soon parted."
I prefer not to think how many times I fell for some new gizmo/prop/effect/whatever which something told me to avoid, only to be disappointed.

I mean, how much useless junk can a guy collect.
[/quote]

Hate to admit it but in my many years as a performer/pro/hobbyist I've collected a garage full of useless junk. Haha
Agree -this looks hokey and the handling does as well - pass based on the photos and vid.
Similar feelings. This might have worked in the 80ís and 90ís well for a magician. But Iím not confident this would pass today without suspicion. With an extra fold in the bill you could do the same switch with a regular post it note .
....or any wallet, cell phone etc that can hide a bill behind it.
In general I think we don't do the "gimmick" justice... it might have its place in a right context. Of course, the video doesn't do it justice neither... As always, all is bad if there is no justification, "announcement", anticipation and fulfilling of expectations (talking about the performance). In this example it would be quit easy: Why putting a bill (or whatever) under the "wallet" a. s. o.? It would make already a big difference, if you announce needing a pen, then leaving the bill momentarily under the "wallet" freeing one hand in order to get a pen with your (then free) left hand e. g. , next you need a post-it note sheet... and you go and do what you have to do. Jan
Have you bought one, Jan?

I will if you will!
Yes, as basically the concept is not bad. Although I could make it up for myself, I found it very cheap in France (EUR 29,00) and ordered it. Seems not to be a hit overall... ;) But it is still not with me. Jan
I don't get it your looking at the serial number when the spectator is writting on the pad. I would think later the spectator will say you saw the bill I gave you. Maybe I am missing something here ?
Reminds me of a smaller version of the Platt pad.

"Every now and and then something comes in and you get the gimmick out and you just go 'OMG, this is genius!'"
~David Penn

[youtube]WSF75-5W9Ss&t=15m40s[/youtube]
I ordered one too, just to see if I use a 2.5"x3"index card...
Why does no one get this?

You switch the bill, write down the serial number and then:
1. Destroy the bill only to find it in an impossible location
2. Have a previously written or "permanent" prediction be shown later to match the serial number
3. Switch the bill and don't actually write down the number but just let them keep it for verification for #2 above
4. Use this to switch the bill, serial number folded inside, hand to someone else as another spectator is directed to write something down on the post it note.
This was just off the top of my head and I don't even do mentalism...
It's probably cos you don't do mentalism...

You don't need this device, just use cassidy/osterlind technique...
[quote]On Apr 13, 2019, tophatter wrote:
I don't get it your looking at the serial number when the spectator is writting on the pad. I would think later the spectator will say you saw the bill I gave you. Maybe I am missing something here ? [/quote]

... you stick far too much to what you have seen in the trailer... I even don't think of a bill (banknote).... see it as a mere switching device ... which could make sense in the right context... in an action in "transition" (Ascanio)... ;) Jan
Mine's arrived. Thankfully it works for half index card size too...

It's kinda OK! Reminds me of a locking slate...