(Close Window)
Topic: Ricky Jay has passed away.
Heard the news about an hour ago, around 4:00 pm PST. No details as of yet.

Very sad. I was fortunate to meet Ricky on a half-dozen occasions and he was always very kind to me. Will miss his work and our occasional chats.

Jason
I didn't like his style, but he was a master of his craft. I think we can even say he will be regarded as a legend in Magic.

He had a tremendous knowledge and a colossal culture of Magic.

Very sad news :-(.

R.I.P. Sir!
Rest in peace Ricky.
Very sad news.

R.I.P.
Such incredibly sad news. I rewatched Ricky Jay and his 52 Assistants this afternoon and it has definitely had a tremendous impact on magic, but in particular show casing some outstanding gambling demos.
I have always admired his writing and performance, he’ll be missed.
So sorry. He was such a clever man, and extremely talented - not only with cards. His 2nd show on Broadway was unique.
Disheartening news. I saw his show "Ricky Jay and his 52 Assistants" in London. He was skilful, eloquent, funny.

A huge loss.

R.I.P
This is sad news.

We've lost a great magician, thinker, and entertainer: but we are all the richer for his gifts to the world of magic.

Requiescat in pace
We have lost a wonderful and inspiring thinker, entertainer, and magician. So sad to see news of his passing in The Guardian today. RIP Ricky -- the world is richer for your having lived.
I really enjoyed his presentations. Very talented.

KJ
Ricky Jay, may he rest in peace, for me was the finest artist of our time and a wonderful guy.
Rest well Mr Jay
RIP Ricky Jay
RIP
Truly saddened. I think he may have been the best living during his time. One of the top all time. Unmatched in dedication to the art and history. I wish I could have watched him perform live.
Ricky Jay was the first magician I saw that exudes formality in his acts. Yet despite the suit and refined etiquette, he had a good sense of humor as well. May he rest in peace.

A television archivist, Don Giller, has made a mini compilation of Ricky Jay's appearances/performances on David Letterman's shows. Here is the link in case you all are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl_B47wG-kQ
I have a question ... Who is the man standing behind Ricky supposed to be on the poster for considering cards and conversation
That would be Abraham Lincoln - this poster was also used for Deceptive Practice, Ricky Jay's documentary.

I forget the context (will have to watch that documentary again now), but it's a great poster.
I commend this 1993 New Yorker profile to your attention, be it initial or repeated.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1993/04/05/secrets-of-the-magus
Deceptive Practice is streaming on Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F5REV44?ref_=imdbref_tt_wbr_piv&tag=imdbtag_tt_wbr_piv-20