(Close Window)
Topic: Adding to the list...
Message: Posted by: brad12d3 (Jan 15, 2019 10:17AM)
I have loved magic since I was a kid but never performed it professionally. I'm just a really enthusiastic hobbyist. I have bought countless tricks and books over the years but rarely get to perform them for a couple of reasons.

One, it's not realistic to load up my pockets with stuff every time I go out just in case an opportunity to perform something comes up. So, unless somebody comes to my house I just don't get much of a chance to show stuff to people.

Two, I can carry a deck of cards easily but since I don't do tricks that often, it's hard to remember what I've learned and I never have enough time to practice sleights to a point where I feel comfortable doing them in front of people.



So my solution, to start, is to put together a list of 9 impromptu self-working tricks and 1 opening stacked self-working trick that I can focus on, learn, and perform when the opportunity arises. Then add to it later on.



I have read through many of the "Best Self-Working" Threads and have skimmed through my Fulves, Scarne, Lorayne, Bannon, etc. books looking for my favorites. The great thing about self-working tricks is that the great ones are really great but the bad thing is that there seems to be a lot of repetition not only in method but even plot/presentation. So finding 10 pretty unique tricks that really resonate with me takes some digging.

So I am looking for two more that are a bit different, at least in plot/presentation, to the ones I have come up with. I am specifically looking for two impromptu self-working tricks that don't require a set up to add and would love to hear some recommendations.

Here's what I have:

Chaos - Absolutely killer trick that I rarely see get mentioned. Something to note about this, there is a sleight mentioned in the literature that has you move three cards from top to bottom. Unless I am missing something, it seems to me that there is no reason why this can't be done beforehand as opposed to during performance. I can't see how making this part of the preparation changes anything in the trick.

Out of this Universe - this one isn't impromptu and does require a stack, but it just so happens that chaos makes setting up for this trick very easy, so it sort of becomes impromptu when following chaos.

Braude's Mental Trick

Dr. Jones

Pedal to the metal

Degrees of freedom

4,5,6

Gemini Twins
Message: Posted by: Harry Lorayne (Jan 15, 2019 10:22AM)
Hey, if you don't "skim" through my books you may, who knows?, find other things you'd like/use/perform. Who knows?
Message: Posted by: brad12d3 (Jan 15, 2019 11:16AM)
[quote]On Jan 15, 2019, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Hey, if you don't "skim" through my books you may, who knows?, find other things you'd like/use/perform. Who knows? [/quote]

Hi Harry,

You have some terrific content in your books and I absolutely love your "Out of this Universe". I would love to be able to sit down and read every word in all these books/ebooks that I have bought... and perhaps eventually I will. Although it will probably take me years to do so. I work about 50 hours a week doing video production and graphics work, hang out with the family including helping my wife out with marketing her music, which is sort of a second job in itself. So I don't have just a ton of free time.

Some of the books I have contain literally hundreds of tricks in them. Even my smaller books will have somewhere in the ballpark of 50-60 different effects. Plus my criteria is pretty strict... impromptu, self-working, with no sleights. So if the plot of a trick is too similar to another I already decided on or doesn't interest me (I don't really like gambling routines for instance), or if it requires a sleight then I just move on.

I just got to a point where I thought it might be good new to hear some fresh thoughts from the community. Who knows, maybe something new and amazing has come out since I bought all these books and the threads I've been reading through were posted. Doesn't hurt to check in every once in a while in case there something I've missed. ;-)
Message: Posted by: Wravyn (Jan 15, 2019 11:40AM)
Not sure if you have PRISIM by Max Maven, if you do, look up Destiny.
Message: Posted by: Harry Lorayne (Jan 15, 2019 11:42AM)
You mention Out Of This Universe - from Close-Up Card Magic - only. That sorta' tells me that - Yeah, you're missing out on quite a few of my books that came after that.
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Jan 15, 2019 12:05PM)
This is Mindreading? - Lorayne (it's different and it's deadly)

Stop! -Lorayne (it's different and it's deadly)

Stabbed in the Pack- Lorayne (it's diff... ah heck, just lock the door and start reading!)

😉😉😉😉 There is one sleight involved in Stabbed.

...seriously though, check these out. I could go on...
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Jan 15, 2019 12:21PM)
I also recommend the Card Magic of Nick Trost, anything by Rufus Steele, Roberto Giobbi's Light series, John Bannon's Destination Zero and Mentalissimo, The Jinx by Annemann, The essential Stewart James, and of course, everything ever written by Harry Lorayne. And Phil Goldstein.
I'm also a fan of Jon Carey's work.
And some of my favourite self workers come from Simon Aronson. Try the Impossible and Art Decko are goldmine.
Message: Posted by: Inert (Jan 15, 2019 05:13PM)
Any Deck, Any Time by Fulves fits the bill. Worth new consideration.
Message: Posted by: brad12d3 (Jan 15, 2019 05:52PM)
[quote]On Jan 15, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
Not sure if you have PRISIM by Max Maven, if you do, look up Destiny. [/quote]

Looked it up, Destiny sounds awesome and so does the whole book. I am interested in mentalism as well and have bought some literature from Sean Waters, Bryn Reynolds, Atlas Brookings, etc.. I do have a Maven DVD that is great. So I went ahead and ordered Prism!
Message: Posted by: brad12d3 (Jan 15, 2019 05:57PM)
[quote]On Jan 15, 2019, magicfish wrote:
This is Mindreading? - Lorayne (it's different and it's deadly)

Stop! -Lorayne (it's different and it's deadly)

Stabbed in the Pack- Lorayne (it's diff... ah heck, just lock the door and start reading!)

😉😉😉😉 There is one sleight involved in Stabbed.

...seriously though, check these out. I could go on... [/quote]

Thanks!

I'll have to find Stabbed in the Pack and see what that's about. :-)

My 4,5,6 is an easier version of Stop! You don't have to have as great of an eye to nail it. ;-)
Message: Posted by: brad12d3 (Jan 15, 2019 05:59PM)
[quote]On Jan 15, 2019, magicfish wrote:
I also recommend the Card Magic of Nick Trost, anything by Rufus Steele, Roberto Giobbi's Light series, John Bannon's Destination Zero and Mentalissimo, The Jinx by Annemann, The essential Stewart James, and of course, everything ever written by Harry Lorayne. And Phil Goldstein.
I'm also a fan of Jon Carey's work.
And some of my favourite self workers come from Simon Aronson. Try the Impossible and Art Decko are goldmine. [/quote]

Yeah, the Nick Trost stuff is great and Destination Zero is awesome. I love the Undue Influence stuff in Try the Impossible and even developed my own version of it a while back that I need to refresh myself on. Definitely will check out some of your other recommendations. Thanks again!
Message: Posted by: brad12d3 (Jan 15, 2019 06:01PM)
[quote]On Jan 15, 2019, Inert wrote:
Any Deck, Any Time by Fulves fits the bill. Worth new consideration. [/quote]

Just looked at that in my book. Missed that one before. Very clever and different. I can think of some way I could have some fun with that!

Thanks!
Message: Posted by: Wravyn (Jan 15, 2019 06:36PM)
[quote]On Jan 15, 2019, brad12d3 wrote:
[quote]On Jan 15, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
Not sure if you have PRISIM by Max Maven, if you do, look up Destiny. [/quote]

Looked it up, Destiny sounds awesome and so does the whole book. I am interested in mentalism as well and have bought some literature from Sean Waters, Bryn Reynolds, Atlas Brookings, etc.. I do have a Maven DVD that is great. So I went ahead and ordered Prism! [/quote]

It is a very good book.

I have been doing Destiny for years. What I really like is it can use any deck of cards, they donít need to be brand new, and it is pretty much all done in the spectators hands. It can have two outcomes, 1) a mind blowing trick or 2) a miracle.
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Jan 15, 2019 08:27PM)
Pseud-O-Mem by Terry Lagerould from Lorayne's Best of Friends is a real gem.
Message: Posted by: brad12d3 (Jan 15, 2019 08:34PM)
[quote]On Jan 15, 2019, magicfish wrote:
Pseud-O-Mem by Terry Lagerould from Lorayne's Best of Friends is a real gem. [/quote]

I'll check it out!

Thanks again magicfish!
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Jan 15, 2019 09:28PM)
Forgot to mention Eugrne Burger's handling of Rosini's Double Reverse. Very simple. Very magical.
Message: Posted by: mindhunter (Jan 16, 2019 05:08AM)
[quote]On Jan 15, 2019, brad12d3 wrote:
[quote]On Jan 15, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
Sean Waters, Bryn Reynolds, Atlas Brookings, etc.. I do have a Maven DVD that is great. So I went ahead and ordered Prism! [/quote]


Thanks Brad...Prism by Max will be a good buy for you.

Bryn
Message: Posted by: brad12d3 (Jan 16, 2019 06:53AM)
[quote]On Jan 16, 2019, mindhunter wrote:
[quote]On Jan 15, 2019, brad12d3 wrote:
[quote]On Jan 15, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
Sean Waters, Bryn Reynolds, Atlas Brookings, etc.. I do have a Maven DVD that is great. So I went ahead and ordered Prism! [/quote]


Thanks Brad...Prism by Max will be a good buy for you.

Bryn [/quote]

You bet! I loved The Safwan Papers. That was one of the first mentalism books I bought years ago.

Look forward to prism!
Message: Posted by: brad12d3 (Jan 16, 2019 07:02AM)
So I sort of stumbled upon another self worker that I really like that is also very different from the others on my list.

Well actually it's a mathematical routine that uses coins called "Hive Mind" that uses workings from a previous card trick but applied to coins.

It's funny because just a few days ago I read through a card trick that used the same principle but that I wasn't really that fond of it.

However, the additions made in Hive Mind bring the spectators into the routine in a big way which I really liked. At first I went to go find a pile of quarters, dimes, nickels, and Pennies to use but then it hit me to just convert it back to a card trick and use the four suits in place of the four different coins.

Hive Mind is really clever and would be very hard for most anyone to work out.
Message: Posted by: Inert (Jan 16, 2019 11:14AM)
Some excellent recommendations on this thread.
Message: Posted by: Degio (Jan 17, 2019 09:20AM)
There is a self-working card trick that I always perform nowadays, which gets great reactions from the audience and it's absolutely mind-blowing. I discovered the trick in the Penguin Live Lecture of Howard Hamburg (great lecture): Howard called it "A Taste of ESP", and it's a variation of "The Nine Card Problem" of Jim Steinmeyer (from his Impuzzibilities book).
A selected card is inserted in a small packet of cards and discovered via spelling. The presentation is very engaging (the spectator can tell the truth or lie, several times) and leads to a number of jokes and interaction with the spectator and the rest of the audience.
Without the extra ESP cards it's only marginally les impactful, but has the benefit of being completely impromptu (from a regular shuffled deck).
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Jan 17, 2019 12:50PM)
That reminds me of an old impromptu gem by Martin Gardner called Newspell.
I fooled myself with it.
Message: Posted by: John7 (Jan 18, 2019 09:41PM)
Yes and, also by Martin Gardner, there's Card Minded. You hand a shuffled deck to the spectator and never touch it after that. Spectator cuts the deck in two and picks one half. They pick a card out of the middle of their half and push it into the other half. Spectator B picks up the other half, shuffles it and then fans the cards towards himself, maybe retires to a corner of the room where no one can see the cards. He chooses a card that he feels jumps out at him and puts it face down on the table. It is the card that spectator A picked and put into that half.
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Jan 19, 2019 12:55AM)
[quote]On Jan 18, 2019, John7 wrote:
Yes and, also by Martin Gardner, there's Card Minded. You hand a shuffled deck to the spectator and never touch it after that. Spectator cuts the deck in two and picks one half. They pick a card out of the middle of their half and push it into the other half. Spectator B picks up the other half, shuffles it and then fans the cards towards himself, maybe retires to a corner of the room where no one can see the cards. He chooses a card that he feels jumps out at him and puts it face down on the table. It is the card that spectator A picked and put into that half. [/quote]
Where is that one found John?
Message: Posted by: John7 (Jan 19, 2019 08:57AM)
It's in Annemann's Card Magic p69. I haven't actually tried it out yet myself but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be awesome for spectator A (as long as it works as it should).
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Jan 19, 2019 07:04PM)
Ahhh yes. Same source as Newspell. Thankyou sir.
Message: Posted by: mindhunter (Jan 21, 2019 04:40AM)
[quote]On Jan 16, 2019, brad12d3 wrote:
[quote]On Jan 16, 2019, mindhunter wrote:
[quote]On Jan 15, 2019, brad12d3 wrote:
[quote]On Jan 15, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
Sean Waters, Bryn Reynolds, Atlas Brookings, etc.. I do have a Maven DVD that is great. So I went ahead and ordered Prism! [/quote]


Thanks Brad...Prism by Max will be a good buy for you.

Bryn [/quote]

You bet! I loved The Safwan Papers. That was one of the first mentalism books I bought years ago.

Look forward to prism! [/quote]

I'm glad you like Safwan.

Max helped me with a couple of research things for The Safwan Papers, as well as some of my individual effects.

He is a human mentalism encyclopedia, and his thinking is....diabolic.

Bryn
Message: Posted by: tbsmith918 (Jan 29, 2019 04:41PM)
I realize you don't want to do slights, and I wouldn't really call these slights, but If you learn a few counts and a few spreads you can have a lot of fun fooling folks with even a borrowed deck of cards. Counts and slights are the basis for many packet tricks...i.e. easy to learn. Throw in a gaff (if not using a borrowed deck obviously) and you will appear to work miracles. I should mention how much fun it is creating your own effects/routines in this manner. When I first learned the Elmsley Count and the Ascanio Spread back about 1979 (from a couple of packet tricks I purchased...I recall one was called SNOW...Phil Goldstein I think...still have it somewhere) I really found it amazing what I was able to do...it felt as if a door had opened up that I didn't even know existed...hard to explain. Try it...I think you will like it.
Message: Posted by: John7 (Feb 2, 2019 06:37PM)
Another one: Any Ace Spell. A Frank Thompson effect explained in Rim Shots by Harry Lorayne.

You shuffle the deck. Spectator names any one of the four Aces. You spell straight to it from the top of the deck. So far not dissimilar to a million other spelling tricks. But then you pull the other three Aces out of different parts of the deck leaving the impression that the spectatorís freely chosen Ace was the only one that could have been spelled to.
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Feb 4, 2019 08:26PM)
[quote]On Feb 2, 2019, John7 wrote:
Another one: Any Ace Spell. A Frank Thompson effect explained in Rim Shots by Harry Lorayne.

You shuffle the deck. Spectator names any one of the four Aces. You spell straight to it from the top of the deck. So far not dissimilar to a million other spelling tricks. But then you pull the other three Aces out of different parts of the deck leaving the impression that the spectatorís freely chosen Ace was the only one that could have been spelled to. [/quote]
That is a Killer!
Check out Darwin Ortiz' variation in Afterthoughts.
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Feb 9, 2019 02:03AM)
Peek-a-Boo Aces by Nick Trost.
Message: Posted by: Terrible Wizard (Feb 26, 2019 05:54AM)
A couple of SWing tricks that are quite different, yet great:

The Piano Card Trick
A Swindle of Sorts
Miraskil
Quickie Card Trick