(Close Window)
Topic: New magifest 2019 releases
Anyone have any ideas as to whats coming this weekend?
Ice and way way way too many people.
Find Christian Schenk/Card-Shark and ask him to show you "Polish Poker"... ;)

Mike
[quote]On Jan 16, 2019, emyers99 wrote:
Ice and way way way too many people. [/quote]

lol yeah this weekend we are supposed to get a huge snow storm too last I heard they said 3-5" during the day on saturday and another 1-3" saturday night
[quote]On Jan 16, 2019, tenchu wrote:

Mike [/quote]

i def will!
See you there everyone, I arrive tomorrow.

Alex Alejandro
Looking forward to my first Magi Fest!
Where is Magifest?
Columbus, Ohio

https://www.magifest.org/
Ice and way way way too many people. [/quote]

Can you elaborate on these? Mentalism or card effects?
Rubber bands
Rubber bands [/quote]
no one said you had to go
I will be interested to hear how this turns out..........
Picked up polish poker, m&w thought of cards across, and the magicians bar cup (chop cup)! havent had time to take a look at them yet though cant wait for some time this weekend!
Reportedly the english translation of Juan Tamariz' The Magic Rainbow is available at Magi-Fest. (Tamariz is there as well.)
Tim, Do you know by any chance who was selling the book and who the publisher is?
[quote]On Jan 19, 2019, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Reportedly the english translation of Juan Tamariz' The Magic Rainbow is available at Magi-Fest. (Tamariz is there as well.) [/quote]

Man I wish I was there now!
[quote]On Jan 16, 2019, tenchu wrote:

Mike [/quote]

I hate youuuu :cheers:
[quote]On Jan 19, 2019, snape wrote:
Tim, Do you know by any chance who was selling the book and who the publisher is? [/quote]
I'm nearly certain it's a Hermetic Press project. Hermetic Press is now owned by Penguin, so presumably it was at the Penguin table. Further reports indicate that the limited number of copies brought to the con are now all sold out.

Given that Hermetic/Penguin just released the Giacomo Bertini coin book this weekend, I doubt that The Magic Rainbow will be fully available for at least a few months. These books for sale were likely drawn from their small advance shipment of review copies, made specially available because of Tamariz' trip to the US for the convention. (But hey, I could be wrong; this is my own guesswork.)

But rather than leave this buried, mentioned in passing...

[b][i]Giacomo Bertini's System For Amazement[/b][/i], a new coin book written by Stephen Minch and published by Hermetic Press, was released at Magi-Fest (and online). There's a positive review in the Feb 2019 issue of Genii magazine.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11424
Good luck with the weather guys! Gonna be a bruiser.
If they're lucky, they'll get snowed in with Tamariz.
The Tamariz book arrived at the Penguin booth shortly after noon and sold out by 3:00. Selling for $150. The Maestro was autographing copies in the hallways. It is a Hermetic/Penguin release.

Polish Poker at Card Shark was pretty good as was the new Travelers Mind Power Deck by Card Shark. It is a great add-on to their Mind Power Deck.

Other new release I really liked was Coercion by Paul Richards. But of course, with all of Paul's material, you have to find him at a convention as he does not sell his effects publicly.
So much for all the bad weather so far its been rain
Vanishing Inc also has a reprint of the EG Brown book with unpublished additions.
[quote]On Jan 19, 2019, Michael Dustman wrote:
The Tamariz book arrived at the Penguin booth shortly after noon and sold out by 3:00. Selling for $150. The Maestro was autographing copies in the hallways. It is a Hermetic/Penguin release.

Polish Poker at Card Shark was pretty good as was the new Travelers Mind Power Deck by Card Shark. It is a great add-on to their Mind Power Deck.

Other new release I really liked was Coercion by Paul Richards. But of course, with all of Paul's material, you have to find him at a convention as he does not sell his effects publicly. [/quote]

Is there anywhere I can find a description/see a performance of Polish Poker or Travelers Mind Power Deck? Also, just for clarification, Travelers MPD is something that can be added to an MPD you already own?
Not currently listed on Card Shark site. Probably will be loaded after Blackpool. They sell the package with a MPD for $60 or you can buy just the add-on for $35.

Description of the MPD Traveler is you pull out two Queens. You show that you simply have two red back Queens and lay them on the table. You spread the deck and ask them to look at and remember any card. Once you have them name their card, you pick up the Queens and spread them showing their card is now sandwiched in between the two Queens. Then with a snap of the fingers you throw them down on the table and reveal just two playing cards. Gimmicks allow for any of the possible MPD outs. Christian showed the gimmick and working and it is really clever.
Not currently listed on Card Shark site. Probably will be loaded after Blackpool. They sell the package with a MPD for $60 or you can buy just the add-on for $35.

Description of the MPD Traveler is you pull out two Queens. You show that you simply have two red back Queens and lay them on the table. You spread the deck and ask them to look at and remember any card. Once you have them name their card, you pick up the Queens and spread them showing their card is now sandwiched in between the two Queens. Then with a snap of the fingers you throw them down on the table and reveal just two playing cards. Gimmicks allow for any of the possible MPD outs. Christian showed the gimmick and working and it is really clever. [/quote]

That sounds very cool and a great use of the MPD. I have an extra Phoenix MPD lying around which I haven't used so it's good to hear of something that might make me get use out of it. Looking forward to this and the other new releases.
Card Shark stuff is always great but this yearís new stuff was all too gimmicky for me. Super creative, but a lot of concepts in play. They did have a nice new card warp kicker. Like Wonder Bill where the bill turns inside out while spectator is holding a flap in the bill. This version uses a signed card. Spectator hold flap torn in the card. Card turns inside out even though spectator is still holding the flap. However, the flap is now reversed and can be given away in an impossible confition. A little convoluted but a cool giveaway
[quote]On Jan 19, 2019, emyers99 wrote:
Card Shark stuff is always great but this yearís new stuff was all too gimmicky for me. Super creative, but a lot of concepts in play. They did have a nice new card warp kicker. Like Wonder Bill where the bill turns inside out while spectator is holding a flap in the bill. This version uses a signed card. Spectator hold flap torn in the card. Card turns inside out even though spectator is still holding the flap. However, the flap is now reversed and can be given away in an impossible confition. A little convoluted but a cool giveaway [/quote]

Sounds intriguing. Iím a fan of card-warp style effects, can you remember the name of it?
I might ask a friend to pick one up for me at Blackpool. Thanks
On the off chance that someone following this thread spoke to Eric Mead about the Tim Conover book. Any chance it might get published in 2019?
[quote]On Jan 19, 2019, emyers99 wrote:
Card Shark stuff is always great but this yearís new stuff was all too gimmicky for me. Super creative, but a lot of concepts in play. They did have a nice new card warp kicker. Like Wonder Bill where the bill turns inside out while spectator is holding a flap in the bill. This version uses a signed card. Spectator hold flap torn in the card. Card turns inside out even though spectator is still holding the flap. However, the flap is now reversed and can be given away in an impossible confition. A little convoluted but a cool giveaway [/quote]

Isn't their stuff usually pretty gimmicky?
Magi-Fest was a blast. Keith gives us a dealerís room tour.
https://youtu.be/0qW38_4AD3A
Who was the surprise guest at the final show?
If anyone wants to see Polish Poker and/or Travelers MPD by Card Shark then it is featured in Chris Ramsay's most recent video (as well as various other things at the Magi-Fest dealer's room).
[quote]On Jan 21, 2019, Psyfl wrote:
If anyone wants to see Polish Poker and/or Travelers MPD by Card Shark then it is featured in Chris Ramsay's most recent video (as well as various other things at the Magi-Fest dealer's room). [/quote]

Here's the link: https://youtu.be/ZhzB4k5kNrs

The video starts with MPD Travelers and Polish Poker is around 9:09.

Mike
Do prices for effects at these fests/conventions tend to be same as buying online or are they generally discounted?
Eric Mead told me the book will be out in 2020, and he is going to go to multiple conventions to promote it.

Gala Show

MC Eric Mead

Miguel Munoz (FISM WINNER)
Harrison Greenbaum
Yann Frisch(FISM WINNER)
Guy Hollingworth Stage Act(Reminded me of Fred Kaps)

Alex Alejandro
[quote]On Jan 21, 2019, tenchu wrote:
[quote]On Jan 21, 2019, Psyfl wrote:
If anyone wants to see Polish Poker and/or Travelers MPD by Card Shark then it is featured in Chris Ramsay's most recent video (as well as various other things at the Magi-Fest dealer's room). [/quote]

Here's the link: https://youtu.be/ZhzB4k5kNrs

The video starts with MPD Travelers and Polish Poker is around 9:09.

Mike [/quote]

Thanks for the link.
We had some other new releases that you can see here:

www.card-shark.de/newreleases
[quote]On Jan 22, 2019, Card-Shark wrote:
We had some other new releases that you can see here:

www.card-shark.de/newreleases [/quote]

Some good looking effects there.
Will any be available to order before / during Blackpool?
ID360 is a clever idea. Very clean too.
I expect to release them right after Blackpool. Want to refine the packaging on those.
After my Live Show and lecture at Magi-Fest on Friday morning, I pre-sold my book for the first time.

It's coming in May, but it was awesome to get such a great response from the Magi-Fest attendees.

Although I sold enough to fully fund the book, I'll be launching a kickstarter soon with different bonuses leading up to the launch.

PM me your email address if you'd like me to send you info when the kickstarter goes live.
At that point, you'll get a description of the book, video, etc.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/B3pGLt8/perform-book-cover.jpg[/img]
[quote]On Jan 22, 2019, pegasus wrote:
ID360 is a clever idea. Very clean too. [/quote]
I guess that the handling of the ID360 is not as free as ultimate brainwave.
Need to be really careful while spreading the deck.
Nope, the handling is pretty free. You just need to know what you CAN do and what you CAN't do with the deck.
I really enjoyed Tim's show and lecture at Magi-Fest. I believe 2008 was the last time he was there. Ever since the new format with a kids show, with kids brought in from outside, I've been hoping Tim would get that spot. I ordered the book, and eagerly await its arrival. Tim's audience management and message in the show are fantastic.

The most memorable part of the show for me was his ring to gumball machine routine. He had a great story, or play, using a couple kids from the audience and a teacher.He borrowed the ring, vanished it, had a lot of fun dialog with the kids playing an important part, and then the gumball machine made an appearance after being hidden from site the entire time. Just brilliant. It really took away the sting that I've seen in this routine sometimes: "I made your ring disappear, I'm a jerk, now look how clever I am that I managed to get your ring into a gumball machine". Tim's routine is much different, and it should inspire those who saw it to use similar presentation techniques for the tricks they do.

All that to say, I look forward to reading his book.
Not really new, but an updated and revised version of both sets of my lecture notes "A Lecture Brought To You By Comedy" and "A Paper Menagarie" were released after my performance on The Saturday Session. One new trick was added to each along with essays on performance theory, and they were updated with brand new photos taken by the immensely talented Brandon Wolf who also did the cover art and the layout. They both sold out, and Ultra Lucky Coin almost sold out. Soooo sort of new.
[quote]On Jan 23, 2019, Rspangl wrote:
I really enjoyed Tim's show and lecture at Magi-Fest. I believe 2008 was the last time he was there. Ever since the new format with a kids show, with kids brought in from outside, I've been hoping Tim would get that spot. I ordered the book, and eagerly await its arrival. Tim's audience management and message in the show are fantastic.

The most memorable part of the show for me was his ring to gumball machine routine. He had a great story, or play, using a couple kids from the audience and a teacher.He borrowed the ring, vanished it, had a lot of fun dialog with the kids playing an important part, and then the gumball machine made an appearance after being hidden from site the entire time. Just brilliant. It really took away the sting that I've seen in this routine sometimes: "I made your ring disappear, I'm a jerk, now look how clever I am that I managed to get your ring into a gumball machine". Tim's routine is much different, and it should inspire those who saw it to use similar presentation techniques for the tricks they do.

All that to say, I look forward to reading his book. [/quote]

Thanks Ron!

Yes, that gumball machine stared at me and haunted me until we came up with the routine.

I love performing it, as it never fails to get laughs from the entire audience, and everyone on stage leaves a hero!

I'm glad you're excited about the book!
Thoroughly enjoyed Magi Fest (first one) and spent too much in the Dealers room :). Tim was amazing and watching those kids file out totally silent after the show was very cool... show was so well structured.

Eric Tait (ULockJustice) was a very nice surprise. I did not know much about Eric prior to seeing him at Magi Fest. He is the past IBM Gold Cups winner and performed his eye popping "Invisible Monte" on the big stage. Had the pleasant opportunity of spending some time with Erik at the bar chatting and he is a very articulate and smart magic thinker along with being an excellent card technician and very funny. I think we will be hearing a lot from Erik.

Also picked up ID 360 as I am an invisible deck fanatic and it is a very interesting option.

John
[quote]On Jan 24, 2019, J M Talbot wrote:
Thoroughly enjoyed Magi Fest (first one) and spent too much in the Dealers room :). Tim was amazing and watching those kids file out totally silent after the show was very cool... show was so well structured
[/quote]

Thanks John! Whether it's audience of kids, adults or families, I think that having a connection with them is so much more important than whatever tricks or routines we are doing.

Yes, I want my magic to be strong, but who cares if the audience doesn't? Thanks for noticing how the kids responded to the show!

I'm also an Erik Tait fan... his Ultra Lucky Coin was one of my Magi-Fest purchases and I'm very pleased! He's a great guy to talk to as well.

So glad you enjoyed your first Magi-Fest!
How much was ID360? I literally was working on this exact thing on my own, so this saves me a considerable amount of time
One thing that bother me with ID360, since you have the full pack face up, you will at some point spread with the named card face up, no? I donít know if itís clear, itís hard to explain but is there any risk of flashing the named card face up before finding it face down ?
[quote]On Jan 25, 2019, Alex DLF wrote:
One thing that bother me with ID360, since you have the full pack face up, you will at some point spread with the named card face up, no? I donít know if itís clear, itís hard to explain but is there any risk of flashing the named card face up before finding it face down ? [/quote]

Good point Alex.
The cards are separated in odd and even cards, like with a normal ID. Every ďmatchĒ is 26 cards away.

Just make sure that you will open the deck within the first 26 cards, so if you have the odd cards showing in the first half and you want to reveal an even card, you are safe. If you want to reveal an odd card, you either cut the deck and bring the even faces to the top or you spread through the deck face down, using the markings of the backs.
[quote]On Jan 25, 2019, Card-Shark wrote:
The cards are separated in odd and even cards, like with a normal ID. Every ďmatchĒ is 26 cards away.

Just make sure that you will open the deck within the first 26 cards, so if you have the odd cards showing in the first half and you want to reveal an even card, you are safe. If you want to reveal an odd card, you either cut the deck and bring the even faces to the top or you spread through the deck face down, using the markings of the backs. [/quote]

Clear enough for me, thanks a lot :)

What will be the retail price ?
[quote]On Jan 24, 2019, J M Talbot wrote:
Thoroughly enjoyed Magi Fest (first one) and spent too much in the Dealers room :). Tim was amazing and watching those kids file out totally silent after the show was very cool... show was so well structured.

Eric Tait (ULockJustice) was a very nice surprise. I did not know much about Eric prior to seeing him at Magi Fest. He is the past IBM Gold Cups winner and performed his eye popping "Invisible Monte" on the big stage. Had the pleasant opportunity of spending some time with Erik at the bar chatting and he is a very articulate and smart magic thinker along with being an excellent card technician and very funny. I think we will be hearing a lot from Erik.

Also picked up ID 360 as I am an invisible deck fanatic and it is a very interesting option.

John [/quote]

Totally agree about Eric. Have had a chance to see him perform live and in person a few times over the last couple of months in Columbus and he has some SERIOUS chops. And a great way of thinking about his magic. I wasn't there on Saturday and didn't realize he was selling his lecture notes, but definitely going to pick up a set. Well worth studying anything he has to offer.

Other new release I really liked was Coercion by Paul Richards. But of course, with all of Paul's material, you have to find him at a convention as he does not sell his effects publicly. [/quote]

Coercion:
https://youtu.be/3SjrMJx9oIc
How does Magi Fest compare to magic live, blackpool etc. I have never been to any magic convention ever. Is this a good convention for noobs? LOL Am I going to see anyone famous just walking around besides the speakers? THANKS
[quote]On Aug 14, 2019, DavidKenney wrote:
How does Magi Fest compare to magic live, blackpool etc. I have never been to any magic convention ever. Is this a good convention for noobs? LOL Am I going to see anyone famous just walking around besides the speakers? THANKS [/quote]
I have not been to MagiFest since Joshua and Andi became hosts. It was a great convention when I went. If it is anything like it was in the past, not only is it a great place for noobs, but a great place for experienced persons too. It is my opinion, if you go, you will probably enjoy the experience, make new friends and perhaps catch up with some other friends you havenít seen.
Itís one of the best values for the money...GREAT convention! It was my first, and I drive 8+ hours every year to attend.
Hi all, here's my review of the Mind Power Traveler by Card Shark mentioned previously.

https://youtu.be/yahnsPyKls4

Have a great day :)
[quote]On Aug 14, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
[quote]On Aug 14, 2019, DavidKenney wrote:
How does Magi Fest compare to magic live, blackpool etc. I have never been to any magic convention ever. Is this a good convention for noobs? LOL Am I going to see anyone famous just walking around besides the speakers? THANKS [/quote]
I have not been to MagiFest since Joshua and Andi became hosts. It was a great convention when I went. If it is anything like it was in the past, not only is it a great place for noobs, but a great place for experienced persons too. It is my opinion, if you go, you will probably enjoy the experience, make new friends and perhaps catch up with some other friends you havenít seen. [/quote]

I've never been to magifest, but I've attended MagicLIVE twice and it has always been an incredible experience. I often hear that it's the best in North American and one of the best in the world.

Many people just go to Magic live without registering just to hang out outside the convention because there are so many people hanging out. You will see MANY magic celebs.
I have been to both MagicLive and MagiFest, magic live was awesome to experience and I live like 10 min away from magifest so I just go to hang out...both are awesome!
[quote]On Sep 17, 2019, stevefaulkner wrote:
Hi all, here's my review of the Mind Power Traveler by Card Shark mentioned previously.

https://youtu.be/yahnsPyKls4

Have a great day :) [/quote]

Not for sale anymore which is a shame.
I will have it with me at the Real Magic Roadshow. And now also available for the first time: The Mind Power Deck and Mind Power Traveler as Large Index versions.
[quote]On Sep 17, 2019, Card-Shark wrote:
I will have it with me at the Real Magic Roadshow. And now also available for the first time: The Mind Power Deck and Mind Power Traveler as Large Index versions. [/quote]

Can you reserve me one please Christian?
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 18, 2019 12:27PM)
Stephen Fry will tell you to !@#$ ***, Pegasus...
[quote]On Sep 18, 2019, pegasus wrote:
[quote]On Sep 17, 2019, Card-Shark wrote:
I will have it with me at the Real Magic Roadshow. And now also available for the first time: The Mind Power Deck and Mind Power Traveler as Large Index versions. [/quote]

Can you reserve me one please Christian? [/quote]

sure, which one are you coming to?
Sorry, I meant can you reserve one to post.
Does anyone here remember Herman Carr, the mc at the Magi Fest? Better known as the guy with the terrible jokes?
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 21, 2019 12:31AM)
Considering your username and the fact you only have one post Iím wondering what this is going to be about
[quote]On Sep 20, 2019, MagicCar wrote:
Does anyone here remember Herman Carr, the mc at the Magi Fest? Better known as the guy with the terrible jokes? [/quote]

Sure do
[quote]On Sep 21, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
Does anyone here remember Herman Carr, the mc at the Magi Fest? Better known as the guy with the terrible jokes? [/quote]

Sure do [/quote]

Unfortunately, he passed away on September 20. He was 83 years old.
[quote]On Sep 22, 2019, MagicCar wrote:
[quote]On Sep 21, 2019, Wravyn wrote:

Sure do [/quote]

Unfortunately, he passed away on September 20. He was 83 years old. [/quote]
Iím sorry to hear that. Many condolences to his family and friends. Thoughts and prayers are with them.
[quote]On Jan 23, 2019, Rspangl wrote:

All that to say, I look forward to reading his book. [/quote]

Thanks again Ron!

The book is now available at http://performbettershows.com
I remember Herman Carr. Always had a bunch of cold weather jokes.
Yes. Herman had a bunch of corny old jokes. Herman passed away last fall, 2019. I was one of the 'redcoats' for about 17 years so I knew him for many years. My wife and I drove over to Springfield, Ohio for funeral visitation. Herman's son Clark, hired a company to display some of Herman's memorabilia, props, and costumes. It was a bit like walking through a museum as you entered the funeral parlor. His family paid good tribute to Herman's love for magic. The Magi-Fest stage contest was Herman's passion, and he really enjoyed giving people, especially the kids, a chance to get up in front of the convention and show what they could do. There are some great performers out there now who passed through Herman's stage contest in their early years of magic.