(Close Window)
Topic: Walmart
I am starting a new thread for magic props that you can buy at Walmart--other than their toy department tricks.

Testor's Dull Coat spray (found with the model paints in the toy department)is a great roughing spray. You can use it (at less than $3 a can!) to make your own rough and smooth gaffs.

Try their hardware section for clothesline. Sometimes they have the kind that is braided around a core. De-core it for cut and restored ropes and other rope tricks.

Check out their fabric section starting the day after Labor Day. In recent years they have had great Halloween fabrics with loads of magical uses. Also check fabrics on November 1 (the day after Halloween) for great half price specials on the same fabrics.

Does anybody else have props they buy there?

Ed
Bicycle cards 2 for $3.
Rope, bulldog clips, Realistic Looking fruit (but fake) for cups and balls, etc.

I do pickup the occasion card sets as well...good and cheap, but I found that Cosco has them in bulk for CHEAP.
Replacement rings for Dean's Box in the craft department, probably next to the fabrics.

Amos McCormick
I know that I live in another country, but at our shopping mart we have woolly nylon for about $3 US dollars.
Yes...wooly nylon is also in walmart.
Grab bags of various size rubberbands in the school supplies dept.
How many of you remember Woolworths? Same kinda stores 50+ years ago... Then there were "five and dime stores" ... gag used to be "Woolworth's, the world's magic shop."
"F.W. Woolworth", if I remember correctly. They had the coolest army men and army vehicles I ever saw - 25 men for 10 cents or 2 vehicles for 10 cents.

If you ever go to Branson, there is an old-time "five and dime" store in downtown Branson, with almost all the stuff I remember from my childhood. There's also some pretty good magic in Branson.

Amos McCormick
Maybe I'm too young for this crowd?

Today I used that line Pete! As I started into my rope routine, I cut off 8' of line and said, "This is special magic rope from that famous magic shop, WalMart." I've been doing that since 1979 when I changed to WalMart rope. I think I will just keep it in my act. I like the rope.

Ed,

I never core this rope. (Except for silk to rope which I don't do anymore.) And I cut it with poultry shears.

Pete,

I remember 15" silks from the dime store for less than $.20 each! There were times when I would go for broke and pay $2.50 for fancy 36" silks there. I will have to admit that there was no way to ever match colors (even bought at the same time). But we didn't mind running or tearing one either.

We used hair nets from there too. I'm not sure anyone uses those in magic tricks anymore. They added suspense to the act for the performer too! They were as great for vanishes as they were for productions. Anyone here old enough to remember those?

My first milk pitcher came from a 5&10. I made a gimmick from one of those fancy "new" clear plastic cups and hung it on the outside of the pitcher. I used that into the late 1960s. Later the "new" clip on microphones made me have to buy a Super Leprechaun Pitcher (About $6) with the internal gimmick that didn't talk because it didn't hit the clip on microphone. (However, I don't really miss boom microphones!)

It's just awful to be pushed by technology!

When I have to replace my real doves with Bionic Robots, I'll just quit. (I've already had to learn how to work under black light with them!) Lucy and I bought a new registered Quarter Horse filly just yesterday to be a live unicorn in shows to come. She is really a blue eyed doll. We can't wait to see her under stage lights. With her pink skin, she should be any color that the jells allow.

Bob
Bubba@AmazedWiz.com
The most surprised person at the show!
I bought almost a lifetimes supply of adhesive for Jim Pace's "The Web" for about $2
[quote]
On 2004-05-12 19:42, Pete Biro wrote:
How many of you remember Woolworths? Same kinda stores 50+ years ago... Then there were "five and dime stores" ... gag used to be "Woolworth's, the world's magic shop."
[/quote]

Woolworth's. I used to go there years ago...I still remember buying baseball cards there for cheap.
Oh, for a time machine, $100, and a trip to Woolworth in the '50s...

I also bought the 36" silks for $2 - $3. Very nice, and I still have all of them!

Amos McCormick
[quote]
On 2004-05-13 08:37, jsmagus wrote:
I bought almost a lifetimes supply of adhesive for Jim Pace's "The Web" for about $2

What is that adhesive, by the way?
It's a white block of what looks like play-doh or silly putty in kit kat formation. (You'll see if you buy it). It's also available at staples. It's used for sticking posters to walls without leaving tape, holes, or a sticky/greasy mess when you take it off.

I found a great flashpaper container, but not at walmart. Go to Longs Drugstore (or maybe any other drug store) where they have a pharmacy. I saw a small shelf of pill boxes, and there is one that looks like a gold pocketwatch, but it's a pill box (or rather, a small container. Very very cool.
How about a nice looking small jewelry box on the cheap? Any suggestions for who might have one, or where to look?

I need one for my floating crystal.
Walmart has great supplies for my act in the sporting good dept. Such as fish-hooks golf balls & Matches by the bulk!! You name it its a great place to wander and let my creative juices go wild!!
Great Post Cheers Chris
Just bot a mirror to place in front of the monitor for practicing. Perfect size 15" x 12" - $3.97.
I was able to make a couple of nifty reaching rods for a seance from $5.00 Walmart tent pole repair kits.... They worked great for Burger's "Birds"

Kevin
FYI

The “silly putty” stuff at Walmart is not anything like the adhesive that comes with he Web. Not at all as sticky.
Bob
If you do Joe Karson's Chinese Egg bag as on the Cellini DVD...I found a great place mat to use that is made of bamboo with a embrodered type of design in red...it handles smoother than the mat that comes with the effect...very classy looking!
Wal-Mart has gold-plated metal rings of various size. You can use these for linking rings, ring & rope routines, or whatever.

Their jewelry section has realistic-looking engagement rings you can use for switching out during your ring tricks.
I've found some nice looking reproduction exotic Chinese coins in small packs of jewelry making trinkets in the crafts section. They are a bit larger than half dollars, and cost about $3 for each. A few smaller, nickel sized coins come in each pack, too.

There are some pretty realistic plastic fruits and vegetables for cups or bowl loads in the crafts area.

Some white, rolled paper lollipop sticks found in the crafts area can be easily painted black along the middle, leaving the ends white, to make some nice cheap small magic wands for giveaways.

I check the crafts aisles at Walmart or any other department store, and often find things that make great magic props by applying just a bit of imagination.

Greg
[quote]
[/quote]

I do Pete! I loved their lunch counter. and the prices were wonderful!!! Thanks for the memory!!!!
Don't forget stuffed animals to produce from wherever. It is more humane, less cleanup, and less upkeep. You can give them away as souveniers also.
So far I've never found the large scarves used in M. Ammar's "See through Coins through Scarf" anywhere but at Wal-Mart.

As Michael said, "If you can't find them you're shopping in too nice a place. If you paid more than $2 you paid too much."

That used to be true, but they now go for $2.25 :(
The magnetic backings for your business card- allows them to be hung on the fridge- make for an interesting way to vanish magnetic items out of spectator's hands, off table, etc- such as foreign or old coins.
I live 1/2 hour from Branson and Fred's 5 & 10 is GREAT. I remember Woolworth and Ben Franklin's also. As for Wal-Mart, they have everything from pay envelopes to velvet cord for ring and string.
Since I personally would never shop at a Wal-Mart nor do we have many around us (thank goodness) I can't add much to this thread. However no store in the world can hold a candle to Archie McPhees. Fortunately I live but a stone's throw (OK a stone's throw if you put it in a trebuchet; they used to be closer before they moved) and I have found the most marvelous treasures there. Miniature arks of the covenant which convert nicely into Kennedy card boxes, replacement beads for my Beads of Prussia, key wound music boxes to power those assorted seance effects, jumbo cards for Card Warp for under 5 bucks a deck, tin lunch boxes of all shapes and sizes including a magic themed one, rubber fried eggs, tiny tools, and the list just goes on and on. If I'm having a dry spell or need a special something Archies is the first place I go to. Sometimes it seems half of my act has come from this fine establishment.
As for flashbacks of the Five & Dimes of my youth, antone remember Grant's or Newberry's.
Mom used to take us to the soda fountain at Newberry's where we'd watch the orders come out of the kitchen on a long conveyer belt that ran the length of the counter. We'd always wonder what would happen if they got to the end but they never did as the wait staff was always on their toes.
I also find great stuff at Target, especially around Halloween and Easter.
While Walmart is inexpensive, their treatment of employees is horrible. They have helped put the small businesses out of business. In the bigger picture of things it might be useful to find and support the little shops. Chances are you will find more interesting things and people. joey
I found some 3 x 4 clear ziplock baggies in the craft section, perfect for storing your packet tricks...

-Jason
Wooly Nylon? I have searched Walmart for Wooly Nylon. Anyone have any exact product names or anything? I found some different things that strip out single threads, but it is very shiny, and easily seen. AHHH!! LOL I have been on this Wooly Nylon hunt for about a year now, looking at Hobby Lobby, Walmart and anywhere else I could.
While not Walmart, there are many things to be found at thrift stores and trinket shops. Maybe not always what you would be looking for, but stuff that can inspire you to add new props to your act.

Lincoln

Walmart isn't a magic shop, it is an evil magician,... Making mom and pop shops disappear, as well as health benefits. :(

Forgot to mention, Hobbys and Crafts stores from the small ones to the big ones like Micheals and Joan's fabrics have lots of great stuff. From adhesives to threads to wierd little props.

Lincoln
[quote]
On 2004-06-15 00:41, Ben721 wrote:
Wooly Nylon? I have searched Walmart for Wooly Nylon. Anyone have any exact product names or anything? I found some different things that strip out single threads, but it is very shiny, and easily seen. AHHH!! LOL I have been on this Wooly Nylon hunt for about a year now, looking at Hobby Lobby, Walmart and anywhere else I could.
[/quote]

Try a fabric store such as Hancock Fabrics or Jo-Ann. Since you didn't state where you are from it's hard to recommend a place. Hancock and Jo-Ann has stores all over the US. I've seen wooly nylon at both.
I needed a new packing trunk (Camp size) for the act recently and some inexpensive repacement trays and, unbelievably, Walmart had nothing! Maybe it was a bad day? I ended up getting the trunk at K-Mart and the trays from a local Dollar Store.

I enjoy looking around IKEA for things to use since their home market is well stocked. I picked up a nice water pitcher with a rubber stopper for a disappearing water trick and a goblet for Snowstorm. Both pieces look nice and cost a total of $6.00.

I'm sure you can also pick up some nice things to use at Church and Group Tag and Yard Sales (but I have a thing about yard sales and avoid them!)

(Just a quick note; my Mother's first job as a kid was in the Caféteria of the large Woolworth's on 34th Street in NYC. I miss Woolworth's you could always get what you wanted without having to go to more than one store.)
I had the same problem with footlockers at Walmart and wound up at Kmart. They only carry what moves and do not carry a full line like the stores that they put out of business. But it is still cheap. I buy up my supplies of colored hair spray from Walmart after Halloween. One year I bought 82 cans at .10 a can and sold at the festivals for $2. Can't beat Walmart for profitability.

Try true Dollar Stores. No telling what you will find there.

Martin :pirate:
Bought my daughter 2 packs of "magic" cards at Wal-Mart this week for $1 each. A Svengali and Stripper deck (a la Marshall Brodien). They had one other type of deck too. I think it was a Svengali with blanks (also $1).
At WAL-MART I have found very realistic looking plastic roses for very cheap. Not to mentions lots of other stuff I've bought there for magic over the years...

Also ARCHIE MCPHEE (www.mcphee.com) has a website where they have all kinds of cool gizmos and toys.
[quote]
On 2004-05-11 00:35, wmhegbli wrote:
Bicycle cards 2 for $3.

[/quote]

Yeah, but you gotta get red and blue and I don't like red. I get Hoyle cards for $1.26.
[quote]
On 2004-05-12 21:53, Bob Sanders wrote:
Pete,

I remember 15" silks from the dime store for less than $.20 each! There were times when I would go for broke and pay $2.50 for fancy 36" silks there. I will have to admit that there was no way to ever match colors (even bought at the same time). But we didn't mind running or tearing one either.

We used hair nets from there too. I'm not sure anyone uses those in magic tricks anymore. They added suspense to the act for the performer too! They were as great for vanishes as they were for productions. Anyone here old enough to remember those?

My first milk pitcher came from a 5&10. I made a gimmick from one of those fancy "new" clear plastic cups ...etc.
[/quote]
Awww! I wish I lived in those days! I go looking for useful props and accessories in common stores here all the time, but find NOTHING! The few things that have some use to them are probably just as expensive as getting the professional items. Perhaps I will start up my own magic shop and import everything - it would be a niche market for sure in this city!
Just to reiterate what wmhegbli stated:
2 decks of Bikes for only $2.99!!! When everyone else is selling one deck for $2.59!!!
I don't get to excited about much, but...........
[quote]
On 2004-06-15 13:05, triadsong wrote:
I needed a new packing trunk (Camp size) for the act recently and some inexpensive repacement trays and, unbelievably, Walmart had nothing! Maybe it was a bad day? I ended up getting the trunk at K-Mart and the trays from a local Dollar Store.
[/quote]

Oddly enough, my Wal-Mart just put out some student trunks last week.
For those of you buying bicycle cards at walmart, you should go to walmarts sister company, SAM's. you can get a box of bicycle cards, 12 decks - 6 red and 6 blue for $13.00.
Wal Marts have bulk, cheap sponges cut into various shapes in a single pack, including star shaped.

Anyone have any suggestions to how they can be used?

John
For those of you with larger size cups, like Gazzos or Animals, check in the hardware department by the ceiling fans. They have chain pulls, and among those, are these neato little 1.25" baseballs. Unscrew the eye and voila! It leaves a tiny pinprick hole, but the balls are really nice and better than those being sold on Ebay... if you can handle a slightly larger ball. Here's a photo that shows them. http://www.themagiccompany.com/cups_with_cherry_wand.html

The pet dept. has various balls including bi-color tennis balls in a couple sizes. Yesterday, I found some cool yellow sponge practice golf balls. Harder than sponge balls. I don't yet have a use for them, but I'm thinking about them.

Around Halloween, they usually have hanging monsters that have foam-filled latex heads/upper torso with fabric draping for the bodies/costume. They make awesome hand puppets.

Wood dowels make quick and easy magic wands.

At one time they sold a plastic canister of Oxyclean that had a screw-on lid and would make a great substitute container for spring snakes, if your routine had a reason for it (Soft Soap?). Although Oxyclean was also sold in the laundry supplies, these canisters were in the household cleaning supplies near bathroom and kitchen cleaners and furniture polish.

One of the best things I've found around Christmas time are these nesting cube-shaped gift box sets. They came with lids similar to the trick, Color Vision. They would come two to a set in two different package sizes. One set had a large box and a medium box inside. The other set had a medium box and a small box inside it. Buy both sets and discard one of the medium boxes. You now have three nesting boxes with a holiday theme. Anyone with a little insider know-how can quickly convert these, by a couple different methods, into a very sturdy, but very inexpensive nest of boxes.

Many years ago, a magician from Illinois named Ralph Sabetti presented a lecture called, "The Five Dollar Magic Show". The idea was to show you how to put together an act for very little money should you ever find your luggage has taken the wrong flight. Times have changed, so it may take $15. or $20. now, but WalMart is where I'd start looking first.
In the kitchen area there are some kitchen counter rubber mats for putting clean glasses and dishes on after washing. They are rolled up and can be easily cut to suit your length. They are a sort of mesh thin rubber that can easily be folded up and put in pocket for a dry space on bars and tables for a substitute close up pad. Come in three or four different colors.

John
[quote]
On 2004-08-18 23:19, Michael Baker wrote:...
Many years ago, a magician from Illinois named Ralph Sabetti presented a lecture called, "The Five Dollar Magic Show". The idea was to show you how to put together an act for very little money should you ever find your luggage has taken the wrong flight. Times have changed, so it may take $15. or $20. now, but WalMart is where I'd start looking first.

[/quote]

At the Invisible Lodge KonKlave in Ft Smith, AR last week, Opie Houston brought to his close up lecture a sack of things bought at a dollar store. With each product he showed how it could be used in a magic act.
I can restock my entire mentalism act for about $6 at Wal-mart. El-cheapo Maverick cards, an occasional dry erase marker, small posterboard and some post-its.
With "dollar stores" springing up everywhere, spending an hour or so in one can have lots of benefits. Card decks, stuffed animal or other giveaways, shears, lights, tape, small or oversized "normal" items ad to many effects, these are all there almost anytime. Stock is constantly changing and seasonal stuff is always plentiful. Some are even selling regular magic now: Svengali, stripper and marked decks and smaller packaged sets. Buy the sets then make larger versions. As with most things, you are only limited by your own imagination. Wal-Mart, K-mart, the dollar stores, etc. are just places to find these tools for our imaginations!
I too have had trouble finding wooly nylon at Wal Mart. Guess I need to look again.
Hi

F.W. Woolworth are still a going concern here in the UK - they are american owned though.

Paula
Message: Posted by: thegospelmagicman (Aug 26, 2004 09:25AM)
I've been able to find a plastic golf ball set - great for small vanishes when you cut a hole in one. Same with plastic fruit. Also used rope in place of magic rope. Usually all at great pricing. If you are creative you can even buy coloring books to make the "magic" color book. Takes just a little time but well worth the effort, especially if you need it for a particular topic.

Blessings!
John
The Gospel Magic Man
I buy light bulbs and other various supplies for making Scotty York Lamps.

Bob Phillips
I have been practicing cut and restored rope routines with walmart rope because it's cheap and I can practice a lot and not waste my precious "magician's rope,"...my precious rope! :)

I think cheap rope is good for destroying it, unless visibility is an issue. But I couldn't do a fluid ring on rope routine without some chunky rope like "magician's rope," so I save the good stuff for that.
Bought 10 Branday decks at Walmart for $12.50 (!).
5 to perfect my Mercury Card Fold, and 5 to experiment making my own ID deck and Rising Card Deck.
Feels like Bicycles but they get worn a lot faster.
Jack.
Ahhh! Woolworths.

I used to like their hot dog on a toasted bun and buying ten, packaged 45 records for next to nothing.

Let's not forget those craft and office supply stores.
These places get my heads spinning with ideas.
At my Sam's Club there used to be those big cartons of 12 bikes, but now all of a sudden they don't have them anymore. Now they have some no-name decks. Is that the same anywhere else?
On Saturday I made my magic supply run to Wal-Mart with a list from this thread.
I found the following:

Thimbles: $0.67 each
Safety pins: $0.99 a pack
Fake lemons : $0.97 each
Slimeline fishing box $2.96

I will post a picture of the box later.
I don't think it can be a "prop" but you can use it to help your close up: tile mirrors. They come in a pack of 6 for 10 bucks and are 20"x20." I bought some black duct tape and: wallah! I have 2 close-up mirrors for a 3rd of the price you can buy one!
I know I'm really late on this thread but I had to put my 2 cents in... I worked for Walmart back when Sam Walton was still alive and even then their idea of full time employment was only 29 hours a week. Hard to make a living on that.
I get the sketch pads to make Cardiographic in the WalMart craft department. Just like the ones Martin Lewis uses, for less than $4! Also, I got a paper cutter in their scrapbooking dept. that I can use to trim playing cards if I need a short card or a stripped card.
They now stock a large "tacky" rubber eye-ball that is just right for final load(s) for some cups & balls / chop cups just in time for Halloween shows = $1 each!
Oh boy, this is going to be a long one I think.

Dollar Store recent buys:
leather shoelaces (to make monkey-paw balls for C+B)
bright paper napkins
bright silk lei that matches my silks for changebag
dozens of decks of cheap cards to play with and mutilate
blank sticker paper to make giveaways
little capsules that produce sponge unicorns, flowers, hearts, etc.
cheapo "magic kit" that included a quite nice penetration frame
mini spiderman cards to use with above
2 scarves
3 mens handkerchiefs
nail glue and eyelash glue (for those tiny adhesive emergencies!)
6 bouncy balls
paper lunch sacks
envelopes
safety pins
pretty carboard hinge-top boxes for storage
3 fine point black markers
1 box of crayons, 12pack (all 12 of which now vanish *G*)
1 small stuffed rabbit

and I'm not even sure that's all of it! Oh Dollar Store, how I adore thee.
[quote]
On 2005-09-19 12:03, Julie wrote:
They now stock a large "tacky" rubber eye-ball that is just right for final load(s) for some cups & balls / chop cups just in time for Halloween shows = $1 each!
[/quote]

I've just discovered these rubber eye balls LIGHT UP when they're bounced on the table top! :)
[quote]
[/quote]

The last one in the Corpus Christi area closed years ago but I remember it alright. Grandmother spoiled me on Saturdays by taking me downtown shopping with her. First stop was WOOLWORTHs. I'd stock up the toy items that just had to be had, visited with the animals in the pet section, and then sit down for a cheeseburger and fries. Hey what kid wouldn't want that deal? They also had the old soda shop style jukeboxes at each table. Push of the button and the selection pages flipped back and forth.

There was a blind man with his seeing dog who'd be there having his coffee. His name was Mitch and he always knew we were nearby and would ask what I'd picked out that weekend. One day I asked how he knew I was sitting next to him when I hadn't said anything. He said "Oh you said plenty alright....about thirty minutes when you and your Grandman walked in.....so what ya get?..."

Mitch was great. I had no problem talking to him about his being blind. I didn't get it then but understand now what he meant when he'd say that with his ears he'd seen more than he wanted over the years.
[quote]
On 2004-05-12 20:50, amosmc wrote:
If you ever go to Branson, there is an old-time "five and dime" store in downtown Branson, with almost all the stuff I remember from my childhood. Amos McCormick
[/quote]

If on I-20, magicians may enjoy looking in the oldest continually open Western Auto store. Minden is a small town, 30 miles east of Shreveport. The store is downtown and easy to find if you just ride Main Street.
What I have learned is I need to be paying more attention on my next trip to Walmart. It is a shame so many of you turned this into a quasi-political discussion but as one who enjoys a good laugh I suggest you put JibJab into your search engine and click on the video "Big Box Mart".

It will bolster the egos of the Walmart haters and for the rest of us who don't quite lean that far left, you'll just get a great laugh out of it.

Frank Tougas
3 full length mirrors for stand up practice and a roll of duct tape..under $20.
[quote]
On 2005-10-14 22:59, Frank Tougas wrote:
What I have learned is I need to be paying more attention on my next trip to Walmart. It is a shame so many of you turned this into a quasi-political discussion but as one who enjoys a good laugh I suggest you put JibJab into your search engine and click on the video "Big Box Mart".

It will bolster the egos of the Walmart haters and for the rest of us who don't quite lean that far left, you'll just get a great laugh out of it.

Frank Tougas
[/quote]

For another great laugh, watch the South Park episode on the same topic. Too funny! The South Park residents trash the big box store because it is too big and isn't the "local store". Then the local store expands and grows to be as big as the big box store and is promptly trashed for the same reasons :) Can't stop the market place. You'd also be hard pressed to find a store that contributes as much to local areas in times of need (ala Katrina)...
[quote]
On 2005-09-19 19:25, Julie wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-09-19 12:03, Julie wrote:
[/quote]

I've just discovered these rubber eye balls LIGHT UP when they're bounced on the table top! :)
[/quote]

What department are they located? I looked for 1/2 hour without luck

Dick
Being in Iceland I miss Walmart.
Sorry I live in the boondocks, what are woolly nylons and what are they for, and what can "we" use them for aside from their general purpose?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
"If you are creative you can even buy coloring books to make the "magic" color book. Takes just a little time but well worth the effort, especially if you need it for a particular topic.

Blessings!
John
The Gospel Magic Man "
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey that gives me a great idea!!!, I've used the magic coloring book ever since and still keep it, because of my knock out routine. (I've had parents see me after my show saying "never mind the doves, rabbits and the rest of your effects, how did you do the coloring book?") and I've worn out around 5 already, and As Soon As Possible I will be creating, and most importantly will be "coloring" my own custom made coloring book, to have that "normal" look. I have given it a little thought in the past but it didn't really quite sink in, up until now. thank you for putting the spark back back on the idea john!!!

greetings godfather sir, Rannie "The Manila Enforcer" Raymundo is my brother in magic and he speaks highly of you. KUDOS to all of you!!!
[quote]
On 2005-10-27 20:42, magicmanila wrote:
Sorry I live in the boondocks, what are wooly nylons and what are they for, and what can "we" use them for aside from their general purpose?

[/quote]

Wooly nylon (not nylons) isn't something you wear to keep your legs warm. It's simply a type of sewing thread that doubles quite nicely as IT.
In this thread, or another there was mention of coin holders at Walmart. Just want to repeat it for those that missed it. They are in the section where the digital cameras are. They are used normally for holding the little cards that go in your digital camera. Made by Case-Logic and great for silver dollars. Happy shopping.
[quote]
On 2005-10-14 22:59, Frank Tougas wrote:

Frank Tougas
[/quote]

I was going to suggest that. I also ended up at Wal-Mart when my company down-sized. However, it didn't down-size so they could make the stuff "cheaper to sell to Big Box Mart." They down-sized because they got absorbed by a bigger company which liquidated the assets and sent the equipment and work to Minnesota and Iowa where they had bigger companies!
Got IT Dave!!! and I didn't even "BREAK" a sweat thinking about it, ;) thank you!
If you go to the sewing section. I don't remember what they are called but there are metal rings that are used as guides for sewing or something that can be cut. A set of linking rings for less then 5 bux. They feel just like real ones too.
If you're talking about the rings that clip together for embroidery, it's been suggest they be used as a production device. See Henry Hay's "Amateur Magician's Handbook" for suggestions on "tamborine coils." Can't really see them being useful as "linking rings" though!
[quote]
On 2005-02-04 18:42, sr9004 wrote:
I know I'm really late on this thread but I had to put my 2 cents in... I worked for Walmart back when Sam Walton was still alive and even then their idea of full time employment was only 29 hours a week. Hard to make a living on that.
[/quote]

Walmart is getting a lot of attention. I also used to work there at the distribution center and worked 3, 10hrs days a week. Not a good living. Working there was not great, but leaving was what started me going into Magic full time so I cannot complain. :) I have to also agree that Fabric stores and thrift store yield good finds for me. However I pick up stuff where ever I find them, just about any place is a magic shop, especially a Fair, I picked up a nice leather cigarette case from a purse vendor that works well as a close up pouch that holds my entire walk around act. At a pier I bought a wallet that was easily modified into a card to wallet prop, complete with the card appearing in a zippered compartment.
Around here we have the Ocean State Job Lot. They buy closeouts and liquidations so you never know what will show up each week.
Recently purchased a neat pewter finish cup that was screaming "Chop me!" so I did and it came out great. - Less than $3.
Wallmart rock I made a backdrop with there stuff
I've bought stuff both at Wal-Mart & Dollar Tree. Lately Dollar Tree has added some cool magic tricks to there stock: Small Cups & Balls, Linking Rings, Penetration Frame, etc.. However, the coolest thing I found was rubber baseballs that I can use for final loads in my Phoenix cups. For a buck you get a ball with a long, black elastic cord that goes through the middle of the ball leading to a wrist strap. I bought 4 of them & removed the elastic cord to use the balls as final loads. I then removed the black, elastic cord to use as a "gimmick." Still haven't figured out what to do with the wrist strap yet.

Picked up those yellow, foam practice Golf balls from Target for 6 bucks and use 4 of them as final loads in my "Rub-A-Dub-Dub" routine.

Personally, I don't care for Wal-Mart all that much either, but will not let that deter me from saving money!

Sir Richard.
Oops, forgot to list some of my purchases at Wal-Mart...Sharpies, a cool camera bag that can be used as a "prop bag." White hankerchiefs, bandanas, small, stainless steel "condiment cups" that make great "mini cups." And so on.

Sir Richard.
In the craft section they sell sponges for painting, some of them are alphabet sets....work great in a sponge ball routine.
I got a really nice misers dream can from there. It had a glass lid attached with a metal band that just popped off ive been using it for years.
Message: Posted by: Robert//Livingston (May 22, 2010 11:51PM)
Mugs for a Cups and Balls Routine
Bullclips
Rubberbands
Adhesives
Envelopes
Bikes 2 for 4
Power Cords
Duct Tape
Shoelaces
Rope
Chains
Sharpies

The place has everything for homemade effects.
Wallmart does not carry the shaped rubber bands, but they can be found at Wall greens and other drug stores. They cost around $3.00 a pack of 15. Not cheap, but should anyone wanting to do rubber band magic should buy and learn to use like regular rubber bands. They are a little harder to manipulate, but at the school I teach all most of the students are wearing them. They would also make great give aways, but are expensive. Any rubber band moves that require the band to be stretched extensively probably wont work, but crazy man hand cuffs and the basics are easy enough.