(Close Window)
Topic: Looking for something that plays for the whole room
For those of you that perform close up magic at weddings ie walk around magic and tables what do you recommend for those occasions when your asked if you can do a quick something for the whole room ?

Ideally I'm looking for something that I can put in my car and take it with me for those just in case situations, originally I was thinking of a smash and stab type routine but then started wondering about something a bit more family friendly as there are usually children at weddings so any suggestions welcome :)
Depends on the "size" of the whole room. I've found a rope routine like Fiber Optics by Richard Sanders or variation ,Zander's Loose Ends, makes for a fun routine for a larger audience. Makes scense...Marriage,tying the knot... fwiw
I agree with the rope. A good rope routine can be done in the round and doesn't take much pocket or magic case space.
YUP
Some favorite pack small, play big with few angle problems:

Rope: Daryl's rope routine, professor's nightmare, walking knot, linking ropes

Coins: miser's dream, coin in bottle

Cards: invisible deck, Smart Ass

Silks: 20th century silks, color changing silk, Duke's Dye Version

Linking rings
Thanks for everyone's input, a rope routine is certainly a possibility but I usually consider rope routines as a middle piece where as in this instance as I would only be performing one effect it needs to fall into the closer category if that makes sense. Also professors nightmare whilst being a great effect has been exposed far to much and as this is a family environment there is a chance that some child in the audience will know how it's done as I've been told by a child in the past he knew how it was done in a close up situation.

Thanks again for the input even if I don't use the effects mentioned I really do appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts on the subject :)
Inception by Chris Randall
Why not do a multiple reveal card routine. The [url=https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/card-magic/multiple-revelation-project/]Multiple Revelation Project by Vanishing Inc.[/url] offers a 70 different reveals, along with controls and insights.

The [url=https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/card-magic/the-mrd-deck/]MRD deck by Liam Montier[/url] simplifies this effect while enhancing it's impossibility and puts the multiple reveal routine in the range of those who are not already intermediate or advanced card handlers.
[quote]On Mar 6, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
Why not do a multiple reveal card routine. The [url=https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/card-magic/multiple-revelation-project/]Multiple Revelation Project by Vanishing Inc.[/url] offers a 70 different reveals, along with controls and insights.

The [url=https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/card-magic/the-mrd-deck/]MRD deck by Liam Montier[/url] simplifies this effect while enhancing it's impossibility and puts the multiple reveal routine in the range of those who are not already intermediate or advanced card handlers. [/quote]

I actually perform a multiple card routine as part of my close up set so I'm after something a bit different but agree it's a fantastic effect that goes down very well with spectators.
Signed card on seat. Plays really big, can use the groom or anyone you want and uses props already in your case. It is definitively a closer.
[quote]On Mar 6, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Signed card on seat. Plays really big, can use the groom or anyone you want and uses props already in your case. It is definitively a closer. [/quote]

That's not a bad idea Danny thank's for the suggestion :)
How about using something like [url=http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8133]Amazebox[/url] to collect messages, suggestions or predictions that relate to the bride and groom, obviously with some sort of big reveal.

Depending on your style, you could use I hate kids by Steve Bargatze and involve one or multiple kids, winning or losing, depending on how you want to play it.
Kaliix that has potential too thanks for your input 😊
[quote]On Mar 7, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
How about using something like [url=http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8133]Amazebox[/url] to collect messages, suggestions or predictions that relate to the bride and groom, obviously with some sort of big reveal.

Depending on your style, you could use I hate kids by Steve Bargatze and involve one or multiple kids, winning or losing, depending on how you want to play it. [/quote]

That is a very good idea!
Warren, what kind of things do you already do?
I have done Anniversary Waltz for a very large room. The reactions of the bride and groom will convey to those that may not actually see the cards well. Also, Sponge balls play huge...no real need for larger props or routines, let your "close up" play larger...
[quote]On Mar 7, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
Warren, what kind of things do you already do? [/quote]

I do a mixture in close up ie cards, coins, rope, ring & rope, chop cup basically everything apart from Rubiks Cube and metal bending magic.

So far I have considered the following

The Pain Game which I then thought may not be family friendly enough.

Fizz Roulette which is like the smash and stab routine but without the danger

And finally Cody Fisher's Comedy Book Test
In a wedding reception situation, in my opinion, it should be something fun. Not sure about a book test, though Cody Fisher’s is very entertaining. If you are looking for something that packs flat, has good entertainment value with ease of doing so you can remain focused on the presentation, perhaps take a look at John Archer’s BLANK NIGHT.
The miser's Dream entertains all ages.
Whilst Misers dream is a great effect it wouldn't suit my performing style and lacks a certain something for me but thanks for your input.
How about a McCombical Deck presentation (either poker or Jumbo size)?

Julie
[quote]On Mar 9, 2019, Julie wrote:
How about a McCombical Deck presentation (either poker or Jumbo size)?

Julie [/quote]

Thanks Julie that's not a bad suggestion 😊
There are three that I bring to every wedding - Anniversary Waltz (previously mentioned), rope (previously mentioned), and egg bag (surprisingly not mentioned).

I always bring egg bag and rope to every closeup gig. Always a risk you will be asked to get up in front of everyone. I alway always bring some closeup props to every stage show - a magician is prepared! No matter how well you try to communicate, something can always happen - easy enough to carry a few extra things and be prepared with versatile, visible props.

Hudson
Some thoughts:

Chinese sticks-
fairly small to transport, very visual, plays big

Silk to egg with fake explanation.
needs prep work, glass for egg.

Half dyed silk routine-
fairly small to transport, plays big. Whit Hayden and Levent both have work on this.

Bob White's torn and restored napkin.
Seeing Douglas.M suggestion of torn and restored napkin made me think of Tony Slydini’s Paper Balls.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MLpq9CvN_pA
[quote]On Mar 16, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
Seeing Douglas.M suggestion of torn and restored napkin made me think of Tony Slydini’s Paper Balls.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MLpq9CvN_pA [/quote]

Great effect. Unfortunately, drunk people have a tendency to yell out ruining effect. So have to be careful with certain types of venues.
Hi Warren,
For a couple more things that play to a whole room at a wedding but ideas that have not been mentioned so far...
> Cards Across plays to a whole room (see Bill Malone On the Loose)
> Magic Square (see John Archer 'Educating Archer')
> A card silk routine - nice and visual if you have a large card silk and a dupe coloured silk with no card on it
Thanks for the ideas even if I don't use them you have all gave me something to think about it's much appreciated.
My vote's on Confabulation. It involves many people, is funny and plays big. If I'm unprepared, I do an impromptu Confabulation with the Social Prediction.
You could use the jumbo split deck or jumbo comedy split deck with the bride and groom. The cards will demonstrate that the bride and groom are a perfect couple. It's even better with the comedy split deck and matching prediction.
I was almost, ALMOST going to have a Himber ring as my wedding band, but Stevens was out of my size

That'll play big, long as you can walk around and project your voice

It'll also play small - I've done it walkaround by getting rings from different tables - once the specs accept that you're a performer, they don't try too hard to compare notes afterwards
Slydini Silks...being able to tie the knot, as it were.

Just a thought!

Cheers! ;)
[quote]On May 1, 2019, Stanyon wrote:
Slydini Silks...being able to tie the knot, as it were.

[/quote]

Oh, that’s brilliant. You could generate a lot of fun with that.

If you use Hudson’s egg bag idea, one suggestion would be to consider a final load of a dozen or so sponge eggs. You could build some patter line where the bag is “home” and the appearing/disappearing egg is our ideal mate, who we hope exists but is elusive. Then someday for the lucky ones the illusion becomes real and every aspect of their lives becomes richer and more fruitful.
When thinking of a question like this I break it down to a list of requirements. This is the list of requirements I came up with.
- Needs to be visual,
- Needs to be easy to follow,
- Possible have no table and no stage,
- Pack small and light,
- Instant set up,
- Also note it may be something I have not practiced or performed recently so needs to be of capable level,

So with this in mind I have come up with,
- Single rope routine based on fiber optics. this is fast pace brain fryer sets me out as a performer,
- 5 Card Opener,I tell a story with this and lots of audience participation,
- And Blank night John Archer. The crowd love this with a chance to win $500,

I would also consider Best EVER Knots Off Silk - Jeff McBride and a classic Egg bag routine.

Hope this helps
Why is not practiced recently a requirement?
[quote]On May 2, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why is not practiced recently a requirement? [/quote]

that was a little left to begin open to interpretation. I meant it as for your regular pieces you probably practice regularly. And perform several times every gig. But a piece of this nature you may not perform as much. So it need to be accessible in that sense. But yeah to clarify only perform stuff that is well practiced.

Sorry for any confusion.
1[quote]On Mar 9, 2019, warren wrote:
Whilst Misers dream is a great effect it wouldn't suit my performing style and lacks a certain something for me but thanks for your input. [/quote]

I'll bet that you haven't seen MY Misers Dream, or MY 20TH CENTURY SILKS!!!
Anniversary Waltz would be great like others have mentioned, but if you want to think outside the box, I would try The Growing and Shrinking Head Illusion.
[quote]On Mar 5, 2019, FrankFindley wrote:
Some favorite pack small, play big with few angle problems:

Rope: Daryl's rope routine, professor's nightmare, walking knot, linking ropes

Coins: miser's dream, coin in bottle

Cards: invisible deck, Smart Ass

Silks: 20th century silks, color changing silk, Duke's Dye Version

Linking rings [/quote]

Exc~eept for the rings and a bucket for the MD, you could carry all of that stuff in your pockets! (You don't need a red velvet bag on a stick to vanish an 18: silk
[quote]On May 21, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Exc~eept for the rings and a bucket for the MD, you could carry all of that stuff in your pockets! (You don't need a red velvet bag on a stick to vanish an 18: silk [/quote]

Let me please point out how amazingly "light" your miser dream set up is! I used to use two d******s until I read and watched your routine. LOL.

The other big point to your Miser's Dream routine is the use of multiple kids. This is a gold mine for PR. We magicians get to do something many other performers don't, make others stars. Parents LOVE this. At a wedding or other type of party each parent is going to be having their phone/camera out taking pictures and video of their child's moment in the spotlight. Then they are going to share this far and wide with famly and friends. When they have a party who do you think they are going to call? Some random name in the phone book/online or the magician they know will produce a fun time and make their young one a hero?
Hi Frank!

Thanks for pointing out the PR "VALUE" in the MD routine. If there is enough space, I have used as many as 20 kids!!

Glad you like my routine!

But, what the heck is a "d******s" ??? (heehee)
Richard Osterlind has a brilliant routine for his "Transparent Forces" that can use up to 7 spectators. Talk about packs flat and plays big!
[quote]On Jun 25, 2019, solidoak wrote:
Richard Osterlind has a brilliant routine for his "Transparent Forces" that can use up to 7 spectators. Talk about packs flat and plays big! [/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion I know that Richard is an amazing mentalist but unfortunately I'm not really the mentalist type meaning that it wouldn't suit my performance style.
I appreciate your reply though as other people who read the thread might well be mentalists so what might not suit one performer might be brilliant for another :)
Here's another suggestion Warren (already made 3 in an earlier post), 'The Bigger Finish' by Jay Sankey plays well.
If I was in that situation and asked to perform for the whole room, I would probably go with Gazzo’s Tosses Out Deck. I love the Effect because it involves at least 6 people that could be picked randomly to cover the room, it has the opportunity to add elements of comedy & it’s quite a stunning effect 😊
As an update to this post as it's been a while since I started it, I have recently purchased Paul's Balls by Wayne Dobson & Paul Martin which is a tossed out lottery book test which uses 6 members of the audience similar to the suggestion by Paul V...I have also ordered Cody's Comedy Book Test as I think this could be a lot of fun to perform.
Coming the party late... but still thought I'd share. Ditto the suggestion for the Anniversary Waltz. If you can make it happen around toasts or at the end of dinner... where the head table is still intact, and everyone seated it can play big for the entire room. I've done it with a guest count of 250 and everyone enjoyed it... and kept asking the Bride to see the card as they visited tables later.

Hope that helps.
I recently started performing Shawn Farquhar’s SheerLuck Comedy Book Test. Shawn fooled Penn & Teller with it in season 3, episode 1. Although, Shawn used a different method for that performance. Both methods play exactly the same to a lay audience, he just needed something extra to successfully fool P&T.

I am getting very strong reactions to the effect. The entire audience (except for one volunteer) thinks they are in on it, much to everyone’s amusement. Then they discover they’ve been fooled too.

Here is Shawn’s P&T performance:

https://youtu.be/nRzC9US0SI4

Mark
Thom Peterson - Pit Boss