(Close Window)
Topic: New book from Matt Baker - The Buena Vista Shuffle Club
Matt Baker has his new book on pre-order at his website https://www.mattbakermagic.com/bvsc
You can download the contents as a PDF on the website above.
A whole chapter "Memorized Miracles" !
Very promising. All the tricks in the book are stack independent!
Here's a short video review of the book by Simon Aronson: https://youtu.be/H5xBEghcjFs

[quote]On Mar 12, 2019, Waterloophai wrote:
Matt Baker has his new book on pre-order at his website https://www.mattbakermagic.com/bvsc
You can download the contents as a PDF on the website above.
A whole chapter "Memorized Miracles" !
Very promising. [/quote]
Message: Posted by: scottvraneshfallin (Mar 13, 2019 10:14AM)
This looks very interesting (and payday is tomorrow!). Thank you for the alert, Danny.
Hi matt baker...will your book be available to the uk via a dealer or is it only available from you directly?
[quote]On Mar 17, 2019, mattH wrote:
Hi matt baker...will your book be available to the uk via a dealer or is it only available from you directly? [/quote]

Hello Matt,

adding to this question: in case, are you shipping overseas? If you are, what would shipment cost to Italy be?

Thanks
Mark
Hi mattH! I know that Vanishing Inc will be carrying my book at some point in the next month or so, but I don't know what their shipping rates are to the U.K. At the moment the book it only available directly through me. It might eventually be available from overseas dealers but I don't have immediate plans for that... If you order the book through my website, you can pay a $50 deposit now and then I'll send you an invoice for the actual shipping cost once the book has been mailed. I hope that the shipping will be no more than $15 (but I am not certain as I don't have the books in hand yet). If the shipping is more than $20 (which I don't expect) I will pay the difference myself. Thanks for your interest and let me know if I can help with any further questions! Matt B.

[quote]On Mar 17, 2019, mattH wrote:
Hi matt baker...will your book be available to the uk via a dealer or is it only available from you directly? [/quote]
Hi Mark! Please see my answer to MattH's question above. Thanks for your interest! Matt

[quote]On Mar 18, 2019, mlippo wrote:

Hello Matt,

adding to this question: in case, are you shipping overseas? If you are, what would shipment cost to Italy be?

Thanks
Mark [/quote]
[quote]On Mar 18, 2019, mbakermagic wrote:
Hi Mark! Please see my answer to MattH's question above. Thanks for your interest! Matt

Hello Matt,

Thanks
Mark [/quote] [/quote]

Matt,
I've just pre-ordered the book from your site. I'm sure it's going to be a great book!
Waiting for updates about shipment cost.

Mark
Hi matt baker my order is also in...let me know about postage...
Thank you, Mark! Will update you on postage once I know the amount. Cheers, Matt

[quote]On Mar 19, 2019, mlippo wrote:
[quote]On Mar 18, 2019, mbakermagic wrote:

Hello Matt,

Thanks
Mark [/quote] [/quote]

Matt,
I've just pre-ordered the book from your site. I'm sure it's going to be a great book!
Waiting for updates about shipment cost.

Mark [/quote]
Thank you, MattH! Will update you on postage as soon as I know the amount. Cheers, Matt

[quote]On Mar 22, 2019, mattH wrote:
Hi matt baker my order is also in...let me know about postage... [/quote]
A review from Caleb Wiles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTyyX_lZcpE&feature=youtu.be
Just got my copy of this today. Thank you Matt and can I just say... WOW! What a beautiful book. This is really great. I have only scratched the surface, but this is the kind of Magic I love. I am staying in today. It looks like I have a lot to learn Ł
Thank you so much, stickmondoo! I really hope that you enjoy reading the book! All the best, Matt

[quote]On Apr 3, 2019, stickmondoo wrote:
Just got my copy of this today. Thank you Matt and can I just say... WOW! What a beautiful book. This is really great. I have only scratched the surface, but this is the kind of Magic I love. I am staying in today. It looks like I have a lot to learn Ł [/quote]
I'm so torn between books. Now I want this one.
Today my book from Matt arrived.
My postman is a friendly young woman.
I gave her a kiss.
Message: Posted by: scottvraneshfallin (Apr 9, 2019 02:55PM)
[quote]On Apr 5, 2019, Waterloophai wrote:
Today my book from Matt arrived.
My postman is a friendly young woman.
I gave her a kiss. [/quote]

I'm waiting for my postman with bated breath, though I'm certain he's not as friendly as your carrier :)
Received last week and so far love it, exactly the kind of dream book with excellent magic and methods, best book buy in 2019 so far ! I recommend it (especially if you're mem deck lover).
Thank you so much, mimo67, it makes me really happy to hear this! Matt

[quote]On Apr 10, 2019, mimo67 wrote:
Received last week and so far love it, exactly the kind of dream book with excellent magic and methods, best book buy in 2019 so far ! I recommend it (especially if you're mem deck lover). [/quote]
A first half review of The Buena Vista Shuffle Club by Matt Baker...

I'm only about half way through this book and I have to say that it is extremely good so far. Every effect is strong enough to plug directly into ones repertoire. Matt has taken some of my favorite plots in memorized deck magic and made them either more fooling through method, more practical through their use & reset, more entertaining through presentation or all 3 at the same time. If the rest of the routines in the book are as good as the first half (which I have no doubt they will be) then this is already an early front runner for 2019's book of the year. Not only are the routines in the book great but it is a very entertaining read as well. At the end of each effect Matt writes in a fictional jam session between 3 magicians who each have their own distinct personality and humor. He uses these characters to brainstorm alternate handling's, presentations and other ideas regarding each effect. Instead of simply giving us his best version of the effect and moving on, this fictional conversation between great characters really gets you thinking creatively about each routine and how you may incorporate it to your own style.

I'll try to give a brief review of each effect I've read thus far...

Card College - This is a memorized deck effect that does destroy your stack. However, it is more than strong enough to end any set using a memorized deck. It is a 3 phase routine that incorporates estimation, mental agility and card calling although Matt has added a fooling twist where the spectator gets to shuffle the full deck from the beginning and even hides away a large portion of the deck completely out of sight of the magician. Although the routine is great, the presentation might be even better. Its such a logical and entertaining premise.

Casablanca - This is a duel thought of card in pocket type routine where the presentation revolves around the magician and spectator creating a new magic duo of mind reader and fortune teller. The trick also pretty much instantly resets your stack. I can see myself using this one a lot.

Location Sensing Device - This is basically Matts variation of Simon Aronson's effect Everybody's Lazy. Anyone who's performed that trick knows it is one of the most fooling routines in memorized deck magic. Well, Matt has put his own entertaining twist on the presentation and a new handling of the method that keeps your stack completely intact, believe it or not, making this version insanely practical.

Tilapia - This is sort of a variation of the effect Simon's Eyes from the Aronson Approach which might be one of the most fooling and direct pieces of mind reading with playing cards ever devised. Although with Matt's enhancements you won't need a dedicated deck with a specific stack as it works with the Memorized deck you're already using and it doesn't even disrupt your stack. The mental selection procedure, while still very fair, isn't near as tedious as it is in the original either. I very much like his thinking with this one.

Histed Hoisted - This is Matt's variation of Histed Histed although, he's made it practically impromptu when you have your standard Memorized Deck on hand. There are no set ups or changes to the stack needed. His climax alternative is great too. Although, there is maybe a little more mental gymnastics here than in the original (not much), his very nice thinking makes this a much more practical effect for everyday use.

Elementary My Dear Vernon - This is wonderfully presented effect that has a nice one, two punch and as a bonus it will either stack your half stack from a shuffled deck or full stack from a half stack in its process. You may already be using something similar to do this but I'm willing to bet you may adjust your presentation and handling after reading this.

Clue - This is a stage mentalism piece similar to a chair prediction (but much more in depth) that incorporates a lot of audience participation. It has an entertaining theme that anyone can relate to and a fooling multilayer approach to method.

Say Anything - This trick was inspired by Paul Harris' Anything Deck or Deep Astonishment. I've always loved this plot although the opening effect leading to the final reveal always left something to be desired. Matt very original changes to the opening effect and presentation make this much more entertaining and sensical in my opinion and his changes to the method make this very fooling as well.

The Origami Test & The Lemon Law - Matt's thoughts on a favorite plot of most magicians, the Bill in Lemon. Very nice to hear his thoughts and presentation ideas on this effect. I do believe I will be incorporating some of this in my own future performances.

3 Coin Monte - A great version of the Monte theme that cuts out the cards and just makes the money itself the star. I really like what he's done here. Although, he teaches a great alternative where you don't need anything special, I may have to finally purchase a Quiver now to perform this effect the way he does. It's that good!

Hive Mind - This effect is so well thought out that Penguin Magic made it an instant download. It's a coin trick but really a prediction effect where the spectators create the prediction themselves then make all of the free choices throughout, themselves. The math professor in Matt really shines here (Although, in practice it isn't difficult at all) but the layers that he has added makes this extra fooling.

Well, that is as far as I've gotten in the book for now. I'm excited to finish reading his other routines and implementing some of them in my various situational acts. Highly recommended to anyone because these effect stretch the gambit of both magic plots & props, but it's especially recommended to those that use a memorized deck.

Steve Langston
Hey Matt. I received my book just after it was released. Thanks for the fast postage. I just wanted to say that the first 30 pages on Memorized Deck Magic were worth the price of the book for me. And some. I am only half way through the rest of the book, but am loving every second of it. There is so much magic in here its ridiculous. You have a very easy to read way of writing, and I have not enjoyed reading a magic book as much as this in a long time. I have been studying magic for over 15 years now but have already learnt a lot from your book, and the best thing about it (apart from the incredible routines) is that it is sparking my imagination like never before. So many ideas spinning round in my head at the moment. Thanks Matt for such a great Magic Book. It is right up there with all my favourites. Beam, Lorayne, Bannon, Aronson, Trost. Thanks again.
Triple-fried is the best secret I have found in a Magic book since god knows when. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
[quote]On Apr 10, 2019, mimo67 wrote:
... exactly the kind of dream book with excellent magic and methods, best book buy in 2019 so far ! ... [/quote]
and with a probability bordering on certainty for the remainder of 2019, 2020 and 2021.
And I don't mean this as a joke. Buy this book!

And no, I didn't get the book for free or with a discount, I have never met Matt Baker personally and he has never asked me to write anything positive about his book.(I was introduced to his magic through his Penguin Live Act.)
Perhaps important to know for those who know some "tactics" on this forum.
I agree with everything Waterloophai says above. I just canít imagine another book this year topping this one. He improves two Simon Aronson routines! How is that possible? The presentations are engaging and the methods diabolical.

I also do not know Matt personally. I heard about his book on this forum and then went to his website and saw a short video book review by Simon Aronson who highly recommended it. If Mr Aronson recommends a book I buy it. When it arrived I was gobsmacked by how good it was. I had never seen anything by Matt before and had no idea what was coming. After Simons review I was very hopeful, but was not prepared for what I got. Every effect in the book is brilliant. There is just no filler here. One of the best things is that after each effect the presentation and method are discussed as if between a group of fictional friends (the Shuffle Club). During these conversations so many insights are gained and different ways of looking at things gone into. Itís so well written too.

Thank you so much Matt. Every single aspect of this book is quality. I appreciate so much the time you have obviously put into this book so you could share your brilliant magical ideas with all of us.
Could you stop that, please? Your teasing is unendurable... ;) I ordered the book some time ago and I am still waiting that it hits my door... I know, it must be superb... alone Simon's endorsement speaks for itself :) ... Jan
Hey Jan, I know how knowledgeable you are about magic and M Deck, so you might already know the principle behind Triple-Fried, but it was new to me and I was soooo happy when I read it ;-)
[quote]On Apr 14, 2019, stickmondoo wrote:
I heard about his book on this forum .....
Thank you so much Matt.... . [/quote]

So you have to thank me ! :-) :-) :-)
[quote]On Apr 14, 2019, JanForster wrote:
Could you stop that, please? Your teasing is unendurable... ;) I ordered the book some time ago and I am still waiting that it hits my door... [/quote]
I do not know if it is true, but there are rumors that the sending of the book to Germany has been delayed for 8 months.
That must be terrible if you live in Germany. Probably has something to do with the Brexit.
:-)
Thank you so much Waterloophai!!
[quote]On Apr 14, 2019, Waterloophai wrote:
[quote]On Apr 14, 2019, JanForster wrote:
Could you stop that, please? Your teasing is unendurable... ;) I ordered the book some time ago and I am still waiting that it hits my door... [/quote]
I do not know if it is true, but there are rumors that the sending of the book to Germany has been delayed for 8 months.
That must be terrible if you live in Germany. Probably has something to do with the Brexit.
:-) [/quote]

This is why I asked to delay the Brexit at least until end of October... so, that has worked for me... now I am working and dealing with the American, British and German post. That should be done pretty fast compared with my negotiations with British politicians, if you still want to call them that... :) Jan
I am ashamed to be British at the moment. I will always consider myself European whatever the dipsticks in power here decide in the end. Peace. Anyway, no politics, just Magic.
Yes, we do... :) Jan
I pre-ordered a copy before its release and received it on Friday. Knowing the proverbial slowness of Italian mail service, this is to be considered a bonus magic effect by Matt Baker!

:-)

Still going through each effect, but so far the material in it is definately bloody good!

Great job, Matt!!!

Mark
The Buena Vista Shuffle Club has now been entered into the Conjuring Archive database, thanks to Denis Behr and Harapan Ong!
https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/book/1828
I just received this book--directly from Matt on Saturday. I have gone through a few things, but I need to say this. This book is possibly one of the most well-designed, interesting and enjoyable layouts. Matt clearly cares about how his work is presented.

I received the Penguin lecture as well with my purchase. I started to watch it--and then bailed on it. Reading the book and doing the presentational calculus in my head based on his writing is way more fun (this is not a criticism of Matt's performing--just that the book is so "alive.")

It should contend for best of 2019, easily. I will review it in depth later, but "Card College" is an absolute joy to learn--especially if you love memorized deck principles. I wish Mnemonica were written like this. I'd probably get more out of it.
I bought this book via Vanishing Magic UK and it arrived yesterday. What a treat! I'm halfway through and I simultaneously want to devour it and slow down so it never ends. The second trick in the book is one I have an immediate use for and fits in with something I'm putting together. So far I haven't read one bad trick nor a single trick I felt "meh" about. It's all stellar stuff and the "Club" stuff could easily have been annoying but it's lovely.

I cannot endorse this enough but also don't want anyone else reading it.

Well done Matt - when's the next one out?
What a GREAT book!! One of the best for MD-Workers!!! Please keep going!!!!!
It is indeed a wonderful book! An absolute pleasure to read, style, humour, content, superb! I am not even half through as I want to take my time, trying out things and discuss and session with the funny guys in it... ;) ... If you do any MD work, get this book! If you don't, still get the book, you might want to start it latest by now... Jan
Just ordered! Can't wait for it to arrive.
Terrific review, Steve. Thanks very much.
I just got my copy. I'm about a third of the way through, but let me assure there is some GREAT thinking going on in this book. I love his memorized deck work - the first trick alone is a masterpiece! If you enjoy mem deck work, I think you will be very happy with your purchase! And the way he outlines each trick, explains how to do it, gives it extra thought and credits, and then has his gang of friends offer more advice - really original construction. (And there is more than just mem deck work - other really smart stuff.) I strongly recommend it.
I was trying to slow my book buying this year, but you guys made me crack. I ordered this tonight, and really looking forward to it.
I've written a blog post on Vanishing Inc. which talks about how I developed the unusual concept for the book:
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/blog/buena-vista-shuffle-club
Finally my copy came in just today! Thanks Matt for this wonderful book.

Now I'll really need some Omega 3 supplements to go with the material featured in the book.
Mine was apparently lost in the post. God help me.
***, this book looks incredible. Been hearing such great things
[quote]On Sep 2, 2019, holdingoutflat wrote:
***, this book looks incredible. Been hearing such great things [/quote]
You should have ordered it this weekend, he sent out an email to his list and offered 20% off plus his Penguin Lecture at a deep discount. I ordered both. :-)
Excellent book, highly recommended.
In addition to great magic, Matt presents two excellent jokes based on quantum physics. The problem is finding someone who knows enough to get them.
For those of you that havenít read Matt Bakerís book ĎThe Buena Vista Social Clubí I have to say itís amazing.

On my new review show we review the book and Ryland performs one of our favourite routines from the book.

You can check out the review and performance at the link below but rest assured this book it ace!

https://youtu.be/WCMnK8bHZZg
Outstanding book.

For those who have it, I think this is the Mnemonica equivalent for the table on page 163:

Red 27 - 14 - 93
Black 27 - 13 - 78
Following up on my last post, here is a full table for Mnemonica. It's broken down into the top 27 cards and the bottom 25 cards of the stack. The idea here is that no matter what they call out at the conclusion of the trick (face-up, face-down, red, black), you have your numbers memorized.

If you know the key numbers, you really only need to remember one set, like the previous one, and you can do the math in your head. Or you can be like me and just print a line of text and put it under a bar code and paste it on the bottom of the card box.

[b]Total value for each color[/b]

[b]Top 27 (Mnemonica)[/b]
Red: 27 - 14 - 93
Black: 27- 13- 78

[b]Bottom 25 Mnemonica)[/b]
Red: 25 - 12 - 89
Black: 25 - 13 - 104

I'm fairly sure nothing of the above is of any value for people who don't own the book but please report to the admins if you consider this exposure.