(Close Window)
Topic: Best Magician ever
Could fellow magicians please tell me who they think are the best magicians ever and why, as I am doing a servey that will be shown on a new magic series on itv in the summer
Thankyou all
PURE EFFECT
Dead or alive?

Dead: Dai Vernon

Alive: Lance Burton. He's a brilliant sleight of hand performer.
Different Magicians excel in different areas of magic so I don't think you can simply identify just one person.

I think Michael Ammar is a fantastic Close Up Performer, and teacher this this type of magic. His technical skill is excellent and his teaching through books and videos is clear.

I agree with Magic Chris's choice of Lance Burton as a Stage Performer. In fact it was through watching his Manipulation act on TV in 1980 or 1990 which sparked off my now lifelong interest in Magic.

I could go on at length, but the two above are people I've observed and been impressed with above and beyond others.

Best wishes,

Brian.
Definitely David Blaine. He can float 3 feet off the ground. Oh wait, that was trick editing. I take it back.
Definitely "The Mentalist."- He can make a person taste specific soups by just tasting a spoonful of water. For instance he gave someone the ability to taste "French Onion" soup. I mean I can see how someone could taste onion in their water, but French Onion. That's amazing. Unless it was a stooge. Oh wait, it had to have been a stooge. In fact it doesn't even make sense that you'd say French Onion. Nobody tastes French Onion. You taste onion. That's a major oversight on his part. In fact that effect just plain sucks. How can you screw up a mentalism effect with a stooge. Oh my goodness, did I say Gerry The Mentalist" was the greatest. I meant to say he's the greatest hack.
Classical Stage Magic = Harry Blackstone, Jr. (loved that beautiful DEEP voice!)
David Blaine caused renewed interest in our art. The "character" he and Paul Harris created for him was perfect for out times!!
Mike Walton... hands down.
It's gotta be Derek Heron (www.derekheron.com)

er, you can vote for yourself, can't you, oh yeah it's called marketing, hee hee!
Local Chicago magician Reis O'Brien.
As a fan of Coin Manipulation, I would say Roth.
Living, I'm a great admirer of Mc Bride for that elegant stuff. Deceased - Tommy Cooper was a blast - not classic, but he stamped his personality on his magic.
Daryl
Tommy wonder
Michael Ammar

A close tie for all three
I would have to say Ammar and Daryl. I may be crazy, but David Copperfield is fun to see and he has sparked a lot of interest in the art.
[quote]
On 2004-05-20 14:56, BlaineWannaBe wrote:
Blaine Blaine Blaine!

[/quote]

Thanks for continuing to propagate the memory of the late , great Lorenzo Blaine ("The Jekyll Island Fakir" ).

As I wrote in my response to your post on the "Most Underated Magician" topic , not many remember him these days , but old-timers fondly recall his brilliant impromptu effect , Lobster from Milady's Handbag .
Thankyou people 4 your posts
In my opinion, Cooperfiel,Daryl,Mcbride, and Ammar.
But I cant't forget Bill Malone, this guy is a great magician and really funny.
Hi!
first of all, I don't think that it's possible to say: there is ONE best magician ever!
in my opinion there a lot of magicians which are overestimated. many people think the larger an illusion is, the better is the magician who performs it!
I think there are many great magicians out there, who are infamous and just do magic for fun!
(of course there are MANY great professions too!!!)
greetings!
andy
Dave Neighbors - Wonderfull to watch him do coin work on his knees with his mat.
Dead as an entertainer for close up - Don Alan and Heba Haba Al and Max Malini

Live as an entertainer for close up - Johnny Thompson & Bill Malone

Dead as a stage performer - Harry Blackstone Sr.
Live as a stage performer - Lance Burton & Jeff McBride

Dead cabaret performer - Chop Chop, Johnny Platt
Live cabaret performer - Mac King

Mentalist (single) dead - Dunninger
Mentalist (single) live - Kreskin and Derren Brown

Mentalists (couple) - Falkenstein & Willard

Bizarre (dead) - Tony Andruzzi (Masklyn ye Mage)
Bizarre living - Eugene Burger

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
I just can say, who is surley not: DAVID BLAME (you see the word-game??-->BLAME!!! hahahahhahhaahha)
David Blaine got me interested in magic in the first place. He is certainly not the most skilled, but he pulls off his image and character so well, that it makes up for it. He is a genius for taking to television and making famous the basic tricks that we have been doing for years and years (when I say "we," I mean magicians in general. I have only been in it for 2 or 3 years). I think he gets a lot of rap from fellow magicians because they think, "Why the heck didn't I think of that? I can do THAT!!"

I don't like his stunts though.
[quote]
On 2004-05-18 18:15, MagicChris wrote:
David Blaine caused renewed interest in our art. The "character" he and Paul Harris created for him was perfect for out times!!
[/quote]

OK. I'm game. Had no idea about Paul Harris's involvement, other than contributing effects. Could you explain further?
How about Mac King? This is because I have tickets (part of a package) to see him in Vegas in July:)
What Andy said is right. The best magician is not one of us, but all of us working together as a team.
Best is an adjective with an unclear definition. Let's get a good criteria.
Fill out this form and post it:

Best Magicians At:

Publicity :
Skill :
Influence on the magic community :
Influence on the lay community :
Presentation :
Creating Effects :
Teaching others :
Your personal favorite :

The organizer of chaos,
The Hungry Magician
Hes not my fav.. but criss angel did win magician of the year twice....that counts for something... but then again - they didn't have these competitions..

what about lennart green?
The best magician is a mentalist... he's name is DEDDY CORBUZIER. He always amazed people... That's what magician should do, right?
A whole lot of great one's have already been mentioned. I'd like to add Flosso to the list. If you ever get a chance to see the video of him doing the misers dream, you'll have a new appreciation for slight of hand.
Banachek, Vernon, currently Paul Wilson, maybe.
Platt, no stooge, I promise, and my kids life I was there. You may have to re-think that effect if it was that good you think Stooge.

As for greatest, thanks prospero but I think I am way down on the list somewhere, there are so many greats out there. In mentalism you have Jeff & Tessa as a two person team, the best I have seen or ever think there was. And illusionists you have Copperfield who is alive and probably the best ever despite what some think of his current show. Those who have ever seen Penn & Tellers live show (goldfish production, shadow rose) might want to give them the nod for comedy drama show. Vernon for card work, Slydini for close up.

There are so many areas it really would be hard to list them all. But maybe fun to try. Might be easier to list the top 100 magicians of all time.
Dai Vernon to me was the greatest magician-because of his inventions and making all moves/sleights easier and believable.Michael Ammar for being the modern Tarbell.Paul Harris for the greatest visual magic.Richard Osterlind for being himself.Tommy Wonder-His effects are amazing,but some of them to envolved with complicated apparatus-though nothing could look more like real magic.David Copperfield for elevating the art more than Houdini.Blaine for the same reason.
But all in all Dai Vernon-You were and always will be the MAN.
Andre
In my opinion I am the greatest magician of all time
I would probably say David Coperfield for stage, and Brad Christian for street.
Time to restart this.

Vernon

Peace,
Parson
Stevie Starr...I have always considered in a realm beyond magic as we know it.

He is [IMHO] the most amazing performer I have ever seen.

If you are unfamiliar with him, here are a couple of video links to...ahem...whet your appetite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDEIYflt6IA

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/just_plain_stupid/Stevie_Starr/

Traditional magical performers that I have had the pleasure of watching perform in person...that I feel fall in the category of great: Richiardi; Blackstone, Jr.; Rene Levand; and Frank Garcia.

Rich
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Aug 21, 2007 11:57PM)
I guess each generation has their heroes. Devant used to be a superstar.
Houdini - He is still fooling people 80 some years later...
I think that Houdini was a better answer than mine.

Peace,
Parson
I think I may be the only magician who really dislikes Houdini. He wasn't that good at actual magic, and he did everything he could to hurt other magicians.
Well, my prejudice for the Blackstones is well known. But that aside, based on all I've read on these forums, the world's greatest magician is 14 years of age or younger, been in magic maybe a whole 5 years, tops, or less, and has released at least 50 e-books and 500 instructional videos on YouTube. Of course there are so many of those, it's hard to pick one.
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (Aug 23, 2007 11:58AM)
Considering I never saw Houdini perform, other than in a clip here or there, I couldn't say whether he was any good at magic or not. I know what others have said, but his name is still synonymous with magic over 80 years after his death, so he must've done something right.

I certainly couldn't narrow the list down to "the one". Almost everyone mentioned so far would be up there, though.... Notice I said, "Almost." ;)
Houdini was a magician long before being an escape artist. How do you think he got the name "King of Cards?" Like I said, he is still fooling people to this day.
[quote]He wasn't that good at actual magic, and he did everything he could to hurt other magicians.[/quote]

The truth is that Houdini was an extremely complex individual and very obsessed about protecting his name and reputation.

My understanding is that he was actually quite good at magic, but that many other magicians who were jealous would say disparaging things to damage his reputation. Ironically, Houdini was not above damaging the reputations of other magicians and escape artists who crossed him. He could also be quite generous and helpful to others that respected him and his act by asking for permission to perform something that was in his show.

Perhaps the greatest example of Houdini's wrath was his "exposure" book on Robert-Houdin.

Personally, I consider "The Secret Life of Harry Houdini" a must read.

As for my vote for greatest magician, I would have to say Houdini for escapes, Doug Henning for stage, and Michael Ammar for close-up. In mentalism, it would be a toss-up between Kreskin and Darren Brown.
Well, could you imagine...just imagine...if Uri Geller made a video to be released on his death. And this video said: "I am a magician, and I fooled the world for a lifetime..." Would that make HIM the greatest magician of all time? Bigger than Houdini?

I rather think so.

Just surmising, folks!

Drew
Dead = Cardini, Vernon, and/or Houdini
Alive = McBride and/or Burton
I truly don't believe there is a "Best Magician Ever". Many could be considered the best, but there isn't one who puts all others to shame in all categories of magic.
Does no one remember Doug Henning?
[quote]
On 2007-08-24 22:07, Drewmcadam wrote:
Well, could you imagine...just imagine...if Uri Geller made a video to be released on his death. And this video said: "I am a magician, and I fooled the world for a lifetime..." Would that make HIM the greatest magician of all time? Bigger than Houdini?

I rather think so.

Just surmising, folks!

Drew
[/quote]

Drew, do you know more than you're saying ? ;) Just kidding, mate. But IF, IF Uri would ever consider doing such a thing, it would be marvelous to see him in the international spotlight once more before he outs himself. People over here have not the faintest idea who he is nowadays (perhaps because I live in a silly country) and I'd love to see a revival of all this.
Going to sound common, and very typical, but Criss Angel.
I really enjoy Michael Ammar. Does anyone think he could be the Dai Vernon of magic someday?
John Hammon or the one and only person to fool houdini, the Professor.
[quote]
On 2004-06-02 21:42, TheHungryMagician wrote:

Best Magicians At:

Publicity :
Skill :
Presentation :
Creating Effects :
Teaching others :
Your personal favorite :
[/quote]
Publicity : Criss Angel
Skill : Dai Vernon
Influence on the magic community : Jay Sankey
Influence on the lay community : Criss Angel
Presentation : Jeff McBride
Creating Effects : Jay Sankey
Teaching others : Jay Sankey
Your personal favorite : David Copperfield
Vernon

Robert
[quote]
On 2007-09-07 00:17, PirateJohn wrote:
[quote]
On 2004-06-02 21:42, TheHungryMagician wrote:

Best Magicians At:

Publicity :
Skill :
Presentation :
Creating Effects :
Teaching others :
Your personal favorite :
[/quote]
Publicity : Criss Angel
Influence on the magic community : Jay Sankey
Presentation : Jeff McBride
Creating Effects : Jay Sankey
Teaching others : Jay Sankey
Your personal favorite : David Copperfield
[/quote]

I completely agree with you.
Ublicity : David Blaine
Skill : Dai Vernon and Daryl
Influence on the magic community : Vernon and Daryl
Influence on the lay community : Blaine
Presentation : Vernon and Daryl
Creating Effects : Jay Sankey, Daryl and richard Osterlind
Teaching others : Daryl
Your personal favorite : Vernon
[quote]
On 2004-05-23 00:06, Thinker wrote:
In my opinion, Cooperfiel,Daryl,Mcbride, and Ammar.
But I cant't forget Bill Malone, this guy is a great magician and really funny.
[/quote]

who is Cooperfield? I hope you were refering to Copperfield
[quote]Does no one remember Doug Henning?[/quote]

Starry, apparently you missed my previous post.

Publicity : Houdini
Skill : Daryl and Brandon Williams
Influence on the magic community : Ammar
Presentation : undecided
Creating Effects : Jay Sankey, Justin Miller
Teaching others : Daryl
Your personal favorite : Houdini

I know many will argue about my choice of Houdini for peronal favorite or publicity, but he was an incredible self-promoter and showman or he wouldn't be remembered today.

What makes him my favorite is that I have an incredible respect for the man's drive and tenacity. He led a life most of us can only dream of. He made things happen rather than waiting for things (or life) to happen to him and tried to live to his fullest potential.
[quote]
On 2007-09-09 12:40, clynim wrote:
I know many will argue about my choice of Houdini for peronal favorite or publicity, but he was an incredible self-promoter and showman or he wouldn't be remembered today.
[/quote]

Nah, I was definitely thinking Houdini for that one. The only reason I chose Criss Angel is because he has one thing Houdini never had -- television. Most people just never got to see Houdini because all his performances could only be done live.
For pure theater, Jeff McBride, for pure wonder, Doug Henning. Skill female Suzy Wandas. Manipulative skill, Cardini/ Vernon. Spectator management and amazing magic, John Calvert. MC work, Jay Marshall and Aldo COlombini.
I can think of a few more categories to add:

Card handling: Ricky Jay
Mentalism: Derren Brown
Theatrics: David Copperfield
Escapes: Well, I suppose this one is obvious...
I have to add a performer to my short list I entered earlier...'Salvano'[an amazing performer].If you can get hold of a video put out by Stevens...sit back and be a witness to magical enchantment.

Also discussed here.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=55020&forum=27&start=30

Rich
I have always been a fan of Gregory Wilson .I just like how he connects with people and has a great sense of humor and makes magic seem so easy .
[quote]
On 2007-09-04 23:46, Mr.Crebar wrote:
I really enjoy Michael Ammar. Does anyone think he could be the Dai Vernon of magic someday?
[/quote]

I thought Dai Vernon was already the Dai Vernon of magic.
[quote]
On 2007-08-21 18:13, PaleoMagi wrote:
Stevie Starr...I have always considered in a realm beyond magic as we know it.

He is [IMHO] the most amazing performer I have ever seen.

If you are unfamiliar with him, here are a couple of video links to...ahem...whet your appetite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDEIYflt6IA

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/just_plain_stupid/Stevie_Starr/

Traditional magical performers that I have had the pleasure of watching perform in person...that I feel fall in the category of great: Richiardi; Blackstone, Jr.; Rene Levand; and Frank Garcia.

Rich

I think he is awesome but is Stevie a magician or a freak show entertainer? :)
[/quote]
Hi Jim:That's why I carefully phrased my opening sentence:"Stevie Starr...I have always considered in a realm BEYOND magic as we know it".

Rich
DAVID WILLIAMSON and GARY KURTZ of course !:-)
Ammar?...pfffffffffff :)
1. Jay Noblezada
2. Brad Christian
3. Criss Angel

those 3 gonna be right up there lool
1. Professor Vanek
2. Doug Henning
3. David Copperfield
Me!
Card: Daryl , Ackerman , Ortiz, Green.
Coin: Roth, Sankey
Mentalist : Maven, Banacheck, Osterlind
Stage : Copperfield
Jay Noblezada
Rob Stiff
Ben Salinas
Brad christian
I have many that I would say are better magicians/mentalists, but David Blaine got me into this (for better or worse), so I have to give my ultimate nod to him. He is the one magician that I saw that changed the way I thought.
[quote]
On 2008-03-25 09:57, realorcy wrote:
Jay Noblezada
Rob Stiff
Ben Salinas
Brad christian
[/quote]

Wow, that's quite a list...
[quote]
On 2007-09-30 11:09, darrylasher wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

No, Dai Vernon is the Dai Vernon of silhouette cutting!
[quote]
On 2004-05-28 13:01, GypsyPirate wrote:

David Blaine got me interested in magic in the first place. He is certainly not the most skilled, but he pulls off his image and character so well, that it makes up for it. He is a genius for taking to television and making famous the basic tricks that we have been doing for years and years (when I say "we," I mean magicians in general. I have only been in it for 2 or 3 years). I think he gets a lot of rap from fellow magicians because they think, "Why the heck didn't I think of that? I can do THAT!!"

I don't like his stunts though.

[/quote] Im not trying to start anything with anyone but I do not like david blaine and a lot of other magicains that hire people accomplish a trick I think a true magicain will not need to hire anyone I think that everyone in the Café is better than blaine. David Blaine does not deserve where he is now in magic he is no different than any of us we all use effects from different people so does david blaine I don't think (but do not know) that he created a trick all by himself with no help from anyone. I honestly cant tell you who my favirate magicain is but probably dai Vernon
Doug Henning, Dai Vernon and Gary Oulette. Ok my old Canadian roots are maybe coming through just a little. I haven't forgot my roots.

It's interesting to see everyones favourites and the reasons why. Guess it comes down to all of our opinions and influences. Even the Blaines or Angels, if your newer to magic and they helped to get you into it all the power to you guys. One has to start some where.

Jeffrey Kraemer
[quote]
On 2008-04-19 01:09, jfkkraemer wrote:
Doug Henning, Dai Vernon and Gary Oulette. Ok my old Canadian roots are maybe coming through just a little. I haven't forgot my roots.

It's interesting to see everyones favourites and the reasons why. Guess it comes down to all of our opinions and influences. Even the Blaines or Angels, if your newer to magic and they helped to get you into it all the power to you guys. One has to start some where.

Jeffrey Kraemer
[/quote] You do got a really good point
I like the sense of humor of Gregory Wilson and bill Malone, makes me laugh everytime
Gregory Wilson, Bill Malone, Vernon, Blackstone, Houdini, Lance Burton, and really enjoy Guy Hollingworth. Too many more to mention. But these would top my list.
Erich_Weis
My sig line says it all...
I'd have to say Tony Slydini and Lance Burton. Lance Burton for being the first magician I ever saw and therefore my inspiration, and Tony Slydini for his mastery of misdirection.
To me, the "best" doesn't necessarily mean the best technical performer. Who entertains me the most?

I LOVED watching Doug Henning. He was the epitome of someone who could bring this sense of wonderment and awe. He looked like he truly loved touching you with his magic.

Harry Blackstone Jr. was a throwback. To me, he represented what magicians of the vaudeville era and prior must have been like. Classy, professional.

Mark Wilson got me interested in magic. First through his TV show when I was little, then I got to see him at the NY World's Fair - my first live performance.

David Copperfield, just because he's the only really big touring show these days. And he never fails to entertain.

Jeff McBride, he's just different.

-gary
[quote]
On 2007-09-30 11:09, darrylasher wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

How about "Dai Vernon of the modern day?"

My list would be David Copperfield, Doug Henning and Mark Wilson.

All of these people took major steps to bring magic to the general audience with out damaging the reputation of magic in the attempt.
David Copperfield - for the the new way of modern magic!
Did Copperfield actually a trick invented himself.
Publicity : Cris Angel
Influence on the magic community : Michael Ammar
Influence on the lay community : David Blaine
Presentation : Bill Malone
Creating Effects : Paul Harris
Teaching others : Daryl Martinez
Your personal favorite : Joshua Jay

I could continue for as long as there are catagories!
Brad christian ???? hes dreadful, best thing ive seen him do was get 6 eyeliners on 1 eye!!!

personally my fave is david stone
On the top of my list is Dai Vernon. I was fortunate enough to attend his last lecture tour in West Hartford, Ct sponsored by The Magic Shop. The shop was owned by Tom Verner and Milt Nichols. Tom is a wonderful person. A retired Professor of psychology and the creative and compassionate mind behind "Magicians Without Borders". Check out his website at Magicians Without Borders.com. Milt was responsible for bringing the $100 Bill Switch to the magician's arsenal.

Back to Dia Vernon. You would never want to meet a nicer, sweeter person. His magic was always 'Real Magic' never just a trick. He was always humble, never arrogant, and the magic happened to him, too, when he performed. The audience loved HIM. That's important. You have to sell YOU.

He personally instructed me on his coin retention vanish. You see so many amateur AND professional magicians do the pass with a coin or sponge ball that is very aukward and unnatural. With Vernon's pass, you actually SEE the object go into the hand. Very important. Get his tapes and view them. They will change your prospective on what magic presentation should be.

That's why he gets by vote for being one of the best all-around performers of magic that ever lived, if not the best.
Correction on Tom Verner's Website....It's http://www.magicianswithoutborders.org
(I have only seen a few magicians so far so my opinion will probably change as I grow in knowledge.)
The HUGE names like Blaine, Angel, and Copperfield are fine, but I'm not sure I'd call them the best.
What got me REALLY interested was watching Celebracadabra and seeing the coaches.
Max Mavin had a great character and look. He presents himself in an very entertaining manner.
I also liked Rocco. His slight of hand and organic manipulations are very cool. It's something I hadn't really seen before. I think I'd have to say Rocco for my favorite.
Harry Houdini....He's the best Magician icon in 20th century.....
almost all magician on tv always said that "i will do something that Houdini never do" or "i will do it for my respect to Houdini".....if they want to perform escape magic specialy......

Criss Angel and David Blaine is a Fresh icon in modern magic.....Criss and Blaine is the magician that can successfully combine close up, mentalism, on the street....

David Coperfield is the unforgetable illusionist, of course we can't forget David when he's fly, when his body cut into 2 pieces,and make Libery vanish......

But, in Indonesia, I think Deddy Corbuzier can be a living legend magician in indonesia (if you don't know who is deddy corbuzier, please visit his web http://www.deddycobuzier.com)

in Indonesia, art of magic is little bit diffrent with another country, in past, 1980-1990, if you hear word "magician" in indonesia, most people think about the person standing in front of few people with a clown make up, doing a old trick, such as ballon, wand, silk, ect......usually in birtday party.......
but since Deddy present the new style of magic (mentalism combine with close up and street magic) art of Magic in Indonesia has an Upgrading level......
he's also the creator of free will.
so, all the mgician in Indonesia should say "thank you" to Deddy Corbuzier.....

that's all my opinion

Regads,

Miraclemakers (van)
Has anyone mentioned John Carney?
Shimada (over Channing Pollock because he had three or four great acts - not just one)
Tommy Wonder and George Wiesensel
Jeff McBride....
Fred Kapps