(Close Window)
Topic: Extreme Burn original performance ideas? (Not Methods)
Message: Posted by: obrienmagic (May 5, 2019 06:00PM)
Hello everyone!

I have recently decided to toss EB by Richard Sanders back into my act. For those not familiar I'll post a performance of it below. I want to come up with some kind of presentation idea for this. I want to avoid the classic "This is how magicians make money" plots. If anyone has seen any unique performances involving bill changes to draw inspiration from, I would love to see it!

Every bill change I have ever seen usually has the same patter. I also will be changing from $1s to $100s then back again. How do I justify the changing them back? So many questions haha HMMMMMM.........

Extreme Burn Silent Performance
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxFxxpOhy7G/

The way I am performing it now is as follows:

"I once had someone steal my wallet because they knew I was carrying $500 with me. So I have started disguising my money. Anytime I want I can change the denomination. OR change it back when I need to put it away."
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (May 6, 2019 07:51AM)
The silent video does not help as we cannot get any idea of what your personality is, and the showing of the effect becomes meaningless. Hard to suggest something for a silent performer.

I was going to suggest you change the bills back, because you notice the spectators eyes getting bigger, as they stare at my money hundred dollar bills. Act nervous change the bills back to ones.
Message: Posted by: Wravyn (May 6, 2019 09:21AM)
Sent a pm
Message: Posted by: obrienmagic (May 6, 2019 06:10PM)
[quote]On May 6, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:
The silent video does not help as we cannot get any idea of what your personality is, and the showing of the effect becomes meaningless. Hard to suggest something for a silent performer.

I was going to suggest you change the bills back, because you notice the spectators eyes getting bigger, as they stare at my money hundred dollar bills. Act nervous change the bills back to ones. [/quote]

The video was intended to show what Extreme Burn is in case you didn’t know. I posted this topic before and people kept suggesting bill switch methods which was not what I wanted. I was after performance ideas.

If you want a look at my personality, check out obrienmagic on YouTube. I have a ton of performance videos there.
Message: Posted by: hawkbird (May 6, 2019 11:19PM)
One method I use is ask a spectator to borrow four $1 and you will show him or her how a magician changes them into 4 larger bills! Once given the 4 ones fold them like the prepared packet in your pocket! Once folded place them in the pocket behind the prepared pack and say now off to my accountant and I'll be back in 6 mos. lol. Just kidding! Bring back out your pack and do the routine! When you change them back to ones tell spec. now you will go on vacation and put them in your pocket patting your pocket! Then smile and come back out with their bills and tell them you can't expect them to pay for your vacation! Just one you may could use along the lines! Hope it helps! hb:)
Message: Posted by: obrienmagic (May 6, 2019 11:29PM)
Yes that sounds like a fun idea! Borrowing the bills sounds interesting! The 2.0 has a handout method so I could easily do that!
Message: Posted by: JustJoshinMagic (May 7, 2019 11:51AM)
Greg Wilson and Karl Hein put out a project called Switchcraft. It used Hundy and Heiny 500, but the ideas can EASILY be applied to EB
Message: Posted by: obrienmagic (May 7, 2019 06:15PM)
Great suggestion as well!

I came up with something I think will work. Maybe? Haha I show my $500 and borrow $5 from a spectator. I place the $100s into their wallet. I then change the $1s into $100s and show that they now have the $1s in their wallet. So like a transposition type deal.
Message: Posted by: Wravyn (May 8, 2019 06:14AM)
[quote]On May 7, 2019, obrienmagic wrote:
Great suggestion as well!

I came up with something I think will work. Maybe? Haha I show my $500 and borrow $5 from a spectator. I place the $100s into their wallet. I then change the $1s into $100s and show that they now have the $1s in their wallet. So like a transposition type deal. [/quote]
Sounds interesting. Look forward to hearing how it plays for you.
Message: Posted by: Expertmagician (May 12, 2019 07:08PM)
Can Extreme Burn Locked and Loaded switch back OR are you locked after one transformation ?
Message: Posted by: Wravyn (May 13, 2019 07:50PM)
[quote]On May 12, 2019, Expertmagician wrote:
Can Extreme Burn Locked and Loaded switch back OR are you locked after one transformation ? [/quote]
It can switch back.
Message: Posted by: obrienmagic (May 15, 2019 06:52PM)
[quote]On May 12, 2019, Expertmagician wrote:
Can Extreme Burn Locked and Loaded switch back OR are you locked after one transformation ? [/quote]

The gimmick functions exactly the same way whether or not you have locked and loaded. Having L&L just means the hidden bills after the change won’t drop out. If you own the original version you should understand what I mean.
Message: Posted by: James927 (Jun 4, 2019 08:59PM)
A little of topic as to new ways to perform but I noticed today that the US Post Office is selling 'The Art of Magic' stamps. Both the Post Office clerk and I had such a great time when I 'was forced' to use a little magic to change my ones to twenties in order to pay for the magic stamps.
Message: Posted by: Xcath1 (Jun 20, 2019 10:10PM)
I obsess over my Extreme Burn make up. Currently I am using white Tyvek paper that I have printed the words “flash cash” on. I explain that I have trouble borrowing money for tricks because no one carries cash anymore, including me. Have you seen this, it’s flash cash, it’s very big in Europe (or whatever place you think is funny to say) It comes in several denominations and then if need actual money it changes with a flip (I usually flick once or twice and feign frustration before it “works”). This also works when just paying for something and I ask the vendor if they take flash cash.
1. I have done 1 to 100s. People obviously respond to seeing 500 dollars. It was hard for me not to have the amount of cash I was holding overshadow the magic, maybe just me. Of course it also was a lot of money to tie up in a trick.
2. I have used several things as my starter bills, low denomination currency, blank sheets of paper, specially printed Monopoly money to match the size of US currency. I find it is helpful if the original stack is something curious to look at as it draws attention from the beginning of the trick. That is why I settled (for now) on “Flash Cash”.
3. I use tyvek cause it lasts longer than paper.
4. I use mixed denominations for my “change to” stack. It goes along with my suggestion that the flash cash is of different denominations, I can put a 100 in for show and a few twenty’s to actually pay for something and hand to a vendor
Message: Posted by: obrienmagic (Jun 29, 2019 03:20PM)
[quote]On Jun 20, 2019, Xcath1 wrote:
I obsess over my Extreme Burn make up. Currently I am using white Tyvek paper that I have printed the words “flash cash” on. I explain that I have trouble borrowing money for tricks because no one carries cash anymore, including me. Have you seen this, it’s flash cash, it’s very big in Europe (or whatever place you think is funny to say) It comes in several denominations and then if need actual money it changes with a flip (I usually flick once or twice and feign frustration before it “works”). This also works when just paying for something and I ask the vendor if they take flash cash.
1. I have done 1 to 100s. People obviously respond to seeing 500 dollars. It was hard for me not to have the amount of cash I was holding overshadow the magic, maybe just me. Of course it also was a lot of money to tie up in a trick.
2. I have used several things as my starter bills, low denomination currency, blank sheets of paper, specially printed Monopoly money to match the size of US currency. I find it is helpful if the original stack is something curious to look at as it draws attention from the beginning of the trick. That is why I settled (for now) on “Flash Cash”.
3. I use tyvek cause it lasts longer than paper.
4. I use mixed denominations for my “change to” stack. It goes along with my suggestion that the flash cash is of different denominations, I can put a 100 in for show and a few twenty’s to actually pay for something and hand to a vendor [/quote]

Great points! Yeah I have noticed too that the $500 does tend to overshadow the magic a tad bit. The actions are great but by the end of it they just want youth give away the money haha