(Close Window)
Topic: Free Business Card Peek PDF
Hello everyone,

I'm very new to the mentalism community and have been quite an isolated figure but have been studying the craft for roughly a decade. I've made very few friends in the industry and have largely kept myself to myself. As a way of introducing myself to you all I'd like to offer a short PDF teaching my 'go to' business card peek I've been using for the last 2 years. I am very fond of it and I hope many of you will love it as much as I do. It is a first draft taken from an ebook that I hope to be releasing later in the year. To receive your free copy just send me a friendly hello in my PM with your email address and Ill send a copy out to you. I wont be keeping anyone's information for marketing purposes, I just want to give back to the community. Also you must have at least 50 posts for obvious reasons. I look forward to hearing from you and any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Arthur sent me his idea. For those interested in business card peeks then be sure to get on this before he takes it away.

It's simple to do and only needs a stack of cards and a pen. It uses a move some will know or have done, but not in this way. I've seen one similar, but not in this way. The written card is cleanly put into the middle of the stack and never moved from that area... and it's not a simple pinky break thing.

Very good idea, Arthur. It's well worth knowing to keep in anyone's arsenal.

Greg
I like this very much. It is well thought out & something I will use. Thanks Arthur!
Yeah I agree. It's clever and simple. In full disclosure I've only just read it, but I like it, especially the cover. Kinda stumped that others haven't done it this way before, it seems so natural an idea in hindsight. Very nice,I wanna use this.
Hi All,

I have to concur with the comments above. It's impromptu and you get a full peek... very nice.

Regards, Steve
Very cool idea. Simple and direct, nicely covered by blocking and psychology. Thanks for sharing!
I can only agree with the posts above. Seems really practical and motivated!
I agree with what has been said already. I feel that this peek is going to be put to work.
It is indeed a very nice peek and quite unique! I will play with it! :) Jan
Interesting twist to a business card peek. I hope that when Arthur releases it, heíll also include a video. Good thinking Arthur!
Played with this for a bit... I was using double blank playing card stock. The mechanics work wonderfully. Now to take it out to the real world and test drive it!
Many thanks for sending me this, Arthur. It's certainly unlike anything I've come across before and has a lot of potential.

Barry
Hello,

Thank you for all the kind words on this post and to those who messaged me privately, It means a lot!

As you can imagine my Inbox has been hit hard but I think I've managed to reply to everyone so far. If you've messaged me but not received your PDF it may have got lost or deleted. Just pop me another PM and Ill get it out to you as soon as I can.

Yet again thank you for the warm support it means the world. Ill be leaving this offer open for a couple more days so all the Cafť regulars get a chance to see it. If any of you guys are having success out there in the real world with this id love to hear from you!

All the Best
Thanks for sharing Arthur.
This is really good. Easy to use and itís
a new tool that can help us get the information in
a secret way.

Lior
Inspired simplicity always makes me smile. Very generous of you for sharing. Thanks.
L Ekin
Thanks Arthur, I can see this having many uses!
Yup itís a worker
I like it too, I would've paid good money for it
For those of you who use playing cards in your mentalism (Touchy subject I know) this is also a very deceptive peek. You can have a card selected and returned to the deck which your head turned the entire time(Eliminating the thought of a M***** deck) and still have access to the card with no breaks at all. Its very useful when someone hands you a borrowed shuffled deck and your not in the mood to bust out sleight of hand!
Just to add - this is a great simple wee peek and I'll definitely be having a play with it

Great stuff Arthur!
I agree with everyone about how clever this is.
Thank you very much Arthur for sharing so freely.
just great!
This peek combined with the blocking technique taught is ingenious! This is something I will use.

Very mice work, Arthur!!
Got it, thanks to Arthur for releasing it.

It is a well-written 4-page PDF describing the "buckle" peek technique. The move is borrowed from card tricks, but laymen won't suspect card moves on a business card stack, especially in the context of a mentalism routine. I look forward to more releases along these lines from this author.

My suggestion would be to offer such PDF in the "Inner Thoughts" section instead of the public forum
I understand your point about the inner circle but I have less than 50 posts😧 the pdf was only sent to people with more than 50 posts to avoid snoopers! Very valid point though and thanks for the feedback
The more I play with this, the more I like it. The choreography reminds me of an old Banacek peek, but the general idea is better since the drawing is buried in the center of the stack rather than on top. This may end up replacing "Bold Business" in my performances.
Iím amazed at the variety of ways to glimpse a business card. This is another clever, simple and well thought out version. Thanks for sharing Arthur!
It takes a while to appreciate peeks. At first you tend to think they will notice. But after a while, and lots of experience, you notice that a good peek with the right and NATURAL distraction is the essence of great mind reading.
This peek by Arthur is great. It is also done with a card in the center of a stack of business cards with no break? hehe.

We have to be careful as mentalists, of chasing the holy grail while we are ignoring fundamentals. For example, after searching forever for the perfect peek wallet, I found that an Acidus peek, while inserting a billet into a regular wallet is the best peek wallet. Why? The best misdirection takes the heat off in a very natural way. Acidus alone, can have the heat on the billet at the wrong time. But with a wallet, you have a perfectly natural distraction to get a peek.

In the same way, this peek is a killer. It is very subtle and the distraction is natural. Well done!!! bravo!
I agree with what's been said above. It's a very clever peek and the choreography is just perfect. Well done Arthur and thank you for sharing.
What a wonderful and beautifully choreographed peek. I was all smiles when I read the simple and well written pdf, and saw the accompanying photographs. This one is a worker. Congrats Arthur and thank you for your generosity.
I can only echo the above thoughts thanks for sending this through to me Arthur, it is a great peek, practical as it only uses a stack of cards, and has great motivated cover and you get a complete peek of the card in the blink of an eye, an excellent addition to your toolbox.
Very nice idea. I donít see this replacing my go-to peek, but I will undoubtedly be playing with this and am glad to have this in my toolbox. Thanks for sharing.
Simple, and I especially like how disarming everything looks once the spectatorís drawing goes into the centre of the stack - and then you get your peek.

Thank you for sharing, Arthur.

~ Nique
I've had chance to have a play with this and I also really like it. It ticks a lot of boxes when it come to things I like in a peek. I'd go as far as to say I prefer it to other business card peeks that have been sold for around 40 rips! So this really was a gift. Looking forward to seeing more of your ideas. Thanks
Terrific idea, Arthur. One of the most (if not THE most) fair-looking peeks I've come across. Bravo!
Hi Arthur,

Your business card peek (so far seen only in my mirror, as I just got it) seems really lovely.

With a high SF ("Sneakiness Factor"), it's the kind of move that makes you smile to yourself when you do it.

The choreography perfectly hides the moment of the peek, so I'll feel confident trying it out.

Thanks for sharing this one!

Cheers,
Jerry
I have also received e-book.
Very nice and interesting method and so simple.
Very nice idea.

Thank you Arthur.

And now you have to publish your nice idea, make some money with it :thumbsup:.

Darko
It's a bu###e pass ok.
[quote]On May 10, 2019, dj wrote:
Very nice idea.

Thank you Arthur.

Darko [/quote]

No. Not everything is to make money. He did the right thing by giving it out.
Nice work Arthur!
Thanks for sharing!
I appreciate Arthurís contribution. Itís subtle but also has nice, natural misdirection to peek without some awkward off beat necessity. I look forward to putting in the time to make it fluid and also Arthurís future releases.
I agree. This is a unuique and nicely choreographed peek. One small thing. I don't like having to turn pack face up.
Hey John, I get what you mean but with all peeking methods there will be a compromise, I've tried to remove as many as possible but as of yet I haven't solved this one perfectly but I have some alternatives.

A few tips I hope will help.

If you angle the pack enough when hidden out of site (behind the hand) you can infact see the image without turning it over, you just need to angle it roughly 90 degrees (Thats how I originally did it, your not technically turning them over plus the specs. cant see it)

The use of blank cards helps disguise the orientation of the pack, if you want to disguise it more you can flip them over casually whilst taking the pen back in the same hand.

I typically do my work with my blank cards, but I write the reveals on branded cards I have in my pocket if its important to hand them out.

If using branded cards you can turn the pack 'face to face' to help disguise the orientation and turn over.

I hope some of these suggestions help and you get to use it!
[quote]On May 10, 2019, John C wrote:
Very nice idea.

Thank you Arthur.

Darko [/quote]

No. Not everything is to make money. He did the right thing by giving it out. [/quote]
Why not, why give everything away?
You do not have to give everything away.
At some point, the time comes when you have to make money with your own beautiful ideas.

Or, did you give away your ideas, your routines, or did you sell them?

Darko
Thanks Arthur. That's helpful!
This is a clean, well-motivated addition to the peek arsenal. Thank you for your generosity.
[quote]On May 9, 2019, highmagic wrote:
Got it, thanks to Arthur for releasing it.

It is a well-written 4-page PDF describing the "buckle" peek technique. The move is borrowed from card tricks, but laymen won't suspect card moves on a business card stack, especially in the context of a mentalism routine. I look forward to more releases along these lines from this author.

My suggestion would be to offer such PDF in the "Inner Thoughts" section instead of the public forum [/quote]

Are you suggesting this should be in Inner Thoughts because up here attracts a certain class of moron with an over whelming need to show off their tiny knowledge of magic by openly exposing methods using "terminology in quotation marks" and maybe adding a pseudo history by sharing where moves are borrowed from?
Good job exposing this, I'm sure you're the hit of your local magic club and the ladies can't keep their hands off you when you describe all the techniques you've read about.

p.s. This is a lovely peek.
Iíve never seen this move explained or used in card literature before and Iíve done my fair share of card tricks. I asked about and no one seems to know where itís come from. If anyone has any ideas please pm me. Iíd like to credit it properly if I can.

On another note, the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive for my little creation. Iím glad so many people see the potential in it. Thank you all for the kind response
Nice peek and a very nice piece of work. Kind of you to share Arthur, thankyou
[quote]On May 10, 2019, John C wrote:
Very nice idea.

Thank you Arthur.

Darko [/quote]

No. Not everything is to make money. He did the right thing by giving it out. [/quote]
Why not, why give everything away?
You do not have to give everything away.
At some point, the time comes when you have to make money with your own beautiful ideas.

Or, did you give away your ideas, your routines, or did you sell them?

Darko [/quote]

I routinely give them away. I also trade for others ideas. I don't announce a giveaway because it's very time consuming responding to everyone and emailing to them. And also you'll end up like Sudo with everyone crying because the pm box is filled up.

So yes I do routinely send things to people Instead of telling them to PayPal me. Or, if it's just an idea, I write it in IT and that's that.
This will be fun to try out .. Good thinking here and the choreography is the hard part .. Great job!!!! Thanks!!!! :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:
Arthur T shared this with me, and I agree with the consensus here. The move is quick, requires no folding of the billet, allows the billet to be cleanly placed in the middle of the stack of cards and is never removed. Uses an old principle in a new way.

Will I give up my current peek? Probably not. But this is something I can see myself using in certain situations. Even if you already have a favorite, this is something you will likely add to your toolbox. Great thinking and welcome to the Cafť.
The method is very clever and well conceived
Great stuff, Arthur and thanks a lot for your generosity

Fabio
Bravo. Very nice peek. I've tried it a few times with good results. Thanks for your generosity.
Very useful, quick and easy. Well presented in a very complete PDF.
Many thanks for this. Will be in my toolbox.
Lovely addition to the business card p**k toolkit. Thanks for sharing Arthur. You have found an interesting way to incorporate what is typically reserved when handling playing cards, into something we can now use to p**k information on a business card.
Thank you very much Arthur for sharing and for your generosity.
Very nice and interesting method. I love it.
First and foremost, I applaud your act of generosity Arthur. I enjoyed reading this very much, and while I don't know that it will replace any of the methods I'm using, I think it is an excellent peek with good economy of action and cover.

Keep up the good work and thank-you for sharing.
Very simple and deceptive handling. I'll be adding this to my toolset.

Thanks a lot, Arthur.
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (May 14, 2019 02:49PM)
I concur with all of the positive feedback. Thanks Arthur for sharing your simple, yet very practical, peek with us.

You seem like a great, knowledgeable, and humble man. We need more like you!

Lou
Thank you for sharing this Arthur. Wonderful addition to my tool box. Very deceptive and practical.

Ray
Message: Posted by: scottvraneshfallin (May 15, 2019 10:30PM)
Arthur was kind enough to let me have a look at his peek and I am extremely happy he did. As has been said above, this is a clean and well motivated peek that I will be practicing and putting to work.
Thank you very much for sharing. This is a very clean peek and the method and handling all make sense to the observer/spectator. No funny moves!
When I got this from Arthur & only 'glanced' at it, I figured this isn't going to be used by me.
After reading through it, I think it is a very, very good peek & I am now excited to try it out.

THANKS! and good luck with your book!
I received the PDF a couple days ago from Arthur and have been having some fun with it. I agree with others. Thank you Arthur for the great PDF.
Really nice simple peek.
Aobolutely love this, started practicing it last night on my wife and she had no idea when I was getting the peek. She was even watching for it. Absolutely love this. Also works with a deck of playing cards!
Many thanks for the PDF.
The method used, never seen anywhere else.
I sat at my desk and did not have any business cards there by accident. So I quickly took 20 playing cards.
And ... it worked perfectly!
After playing around with the principle, I noticed that "what you have to do in preparation" should not necessarily be very hard.
That will of course depend on the structure and individual thickness of your business cards.
Very grateful to have received the PDF. This is something I will use!

From now on, give the users of this forum 24 hours to request the PDF and stop distributing it for free afterwards.
Put this in your book!

Congratulations to the creator!

P.S.: Perhaps one little remark (but that is really hair-splitting), in the first photo I did not immediately see whether the cards had to be "treated" in length or width. However, the following photos immediately resolved that.
It is indeed a very simple, clever and effective peek.

Nicely done, Arthur.
Thank you all so much for the positive comments everyone. A few people have messaged me saying they now use this on a daily basis which is great to hear, itís whatís its intended for.
If there is anyone new to the thread I will be keeping the offer open for 24 hours if anybody is on the fence. It will then be released for general sale with an updated design and video tutorial with a little bonus handling for anyone whoís missed out!
This is great material. I've played with it and am now ready to go out and use it in public. I have been using a double undercut or the SUC business card wallet by mark Strivings. This is invaluable for impromptu performances. Definitely a winner.

Ray
Absolutely love this, glad I got in when I did, definitely adding this to my daily repertoire.
Just received the pdf and I love it. Can see myself using this regularly but even if you have a favorite peek method, it's good to have this in your toolbox.

Thank you again!
This is a an elegantly simple business card peek that I think would be a welcome addition to any performer's peaking arsenal. The PDF is clearly and concisely written with suitable photo illustrations. It feels like the kind of peak that you should already have read about elsewhere - but have not.

Thank you for your generosity in sharing this with the community.
[quote]On May 22, 2019, Rik Gazelle wrote:
...It feels like the kind of peak that you should already have read about elsewhere - but have not... [/quote]

The closest thing that comes to mind is a Jose Prager effect from "The Man Who Knows How to Amuse and Mystify"

I won't give the name of the effect as that would be exposure. There are pluses and minuses to Prager's method as it relates to Arthur's method. There is just the commonality of how the peek is obtained, even if the cover is drastically different. I actually like both approaches and have used Prager's a few times (I keep the materials in my little business card pouch, which has business cards, folded index cards, and envelopes and is always in a jacket pocker).

I personally think the method by Arthur is a bit better, but there is an aspect of Prager's that I really like now that I am thinking about it.... hmmmm....

In any case, a very nice method, thanks for sharing.
PM sent in case this is still available.
I really like this it is easy to use no gimmicks and it works with the 3 by 5 billets that I usually use.
Within a few minutes of receiving the pdf Arthur kindly and generously sent I was able to try this out with business cards in hand and it works a treat. Very clever and I particularly like its simplicity plus you get such a good and full peek. Also, as paranormal says above, it is possible to use this with just a few business cards and it will again be very effective.

A great peek. Thanks a lot Arthur.

Neil
Arthur told me that this is no longer available (it will be up for sale instead), so those of you that received it can count yourself lucky. :-)
NeilS, I assume you received it earlier, and just posted about it now?
[quote]On May 20, 2019, Arthur T wrote:
Thank you all so much for the positive comments everyone. A few people have messaged me saying they now use this on a daily basis which is great to hear, itís whatís its intended for.
If there is anyone new to the thread I will be keeping the offer open for 24 hours if anybody is on the fence. It will then be released for general sale with an updated design and video tutorial with a little bonus handling for anyone whoís missed out! [/quote]

I managed to miss the cutoff. Can you post the link to the general-sale for perusal?
Definitely agree with the positive comments regarding Arthur's peek. It's definitely one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" methods - very direct and easy to execute. All you need are your business cards and a pen.

I think this is a wonderful piece and wish Arthur the best with his release.
Simple yet effective. Cannot add much to the positive words that preceded. Always great to have another weapon in the arsenal. Thanks for sharing!
Arthur was kind enough to send me the peek, and it's certainly a great bit of thinking. I really appreciate the generosity! Thanks Arthur!
I received this gift, too. It came right as I was started to dedicate myself to doing more billet work. I haven't tried it under fire, but I've rehearsed it a few times, and I really like it. It started me thinking, and I can see this becoming a go-to method. I appreciate the generosity.

SS
Arthur,

Thank you again for your generosity. This is truly wonderful tool and completely different from anything else I've ever seen before.

It is very kind of you to share your idea with all of us.
Nice idea, thank you Arthur for sharing.
Peter
Arthur, thanks again for sending me your peek. Your generosity is to be commended! I've been playing around with it, and I really like it. I plan to use it "under watchful eyes" soon. It certainly seems to be a winner! Thanks again!

Mark
Thank you all for the positive comments, it means more than you can imagine. The whole purpose of the giveaway was to introduce myself to members of the Cafť and I've met some very kind individuals so It been very worthwhile! Unfortunately the giveaway is no longer available but if you anyone new would like to see a copy it is available at www.mindofmagic.co.uk

My original intention was only to give it away for 2/3 days but I extended to well over 2 weeks so the majority of Cafť regulars would get a chance to see it. At this point I've shared it with almost 200 people but have to draw a line somewhere, sorry If you've missed out!

Yet again thanks for all the kind words and if anyone is going out in the real world and using this Id love to hear your stories!
Good luck with it, Arthur. It is a very useful peek to know.

Greg
I love this peek. My entire approach to billet work shifted when Scott Creasey released MMM and I'm always looking for innovative ideas requiring nothing more than a stack of cards to add to the toolbox. Arthur's peek fits in beautifully.

Well done and thank you for sharing, I will definately be picking up the expanded version.
[quote]On May 27, 2019, Arthur T wrote:
Thank you all for the positive comments, it means more than you can imagine. The whole purpose of the giveaway was to introduce myself to members of the Cafť and I've met some very kind individuals so It been very worthwhile! Unfortunately the giveaway is no longer available but if you anyone new would like to see a copy it is available at www.mindofmagic.co.uk

My original intention was only to give it away for 2/3 days but I extended to well over 2 weeks so the majority of Cafť regulars would get a chance to see it. At this point I've shared it with almost 200 people but have to draw a line somewhere, sorry If you've missed out!

Yet again thanks for all the kind words and if anyone is going out in the real world and using this Id love to hear your stories! [/quote]

Thanks again for sharing. Time to put at least your website in your signature, if not an item blurb for Underlooked itself. Best of luck!
Advice taken! Thanks a lot for pointing that out to me
[quote]On May 27, 2019, Arthur T wrote:
Advice taken! Thanks a lot for pointing that out to me [/quote]

You can also adjust your preferences to "Attach my signature to all posts"

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/profile_pedit.php
I was just wondering why it wasnít showing up, youíre a star!
Thank you very much Arthur for sending me this PDF. The peek is really good, I liked it a lot. I will definitely use this.
Just missed out by the looks of it lol good luck with it Arthur 👍
Bought this the other day and like everything about it :) Can't wait to start using it and was at such a reasonable price.
Arthur, I've just looked at your website. You might like to rethink the photo for "Overlooked"; I can't read the white text on the light background. The text for Underlooked is also hard to read.

Barry
Thanks for letting me know Barry. The designer will be updating the site tonight as overlooked is going live. Iíll try and sort out the visuals
Thanks Arthur! An excellent, invisible peek and an amazing price. I fully echo everything positive that has been said before me.

This, I will use.
[quote]On May 27, 2019, John Arcanum wrote:
I love this peek. My entire approach to billet work shifted when Scott Creasey released MMM and I'm always looking for innovative ideas requiring nothing more than a stack of cards to add to the toolbox. Arthur's peek fits in beautifully.

Well done and thank you for sharing, I will definately be picking up the expanded version. [/quote]

Thanks for highlighting the good combination with MMM. I fully agree.
Hi Arthur!!

if you buy this apart from the pdf there are video instructions for the two effects that are on your website

all the best
Hey mentaldiego,

The peek (underlooked) comes with an updated pdf as well as video explanation with a bonus peek. The other effect on my site is just a downloadable video. Hope that helps
Thanks Arthur!!!!