(Close Window)
Topic: The Black Box by Wayne Dobson and Alan Wong
The Black Box by Wayne Dobson in association with Alan Wong

For years I have been working on developing a switch that was plausible and effective, creating a gimmick to replace the pocket switch.

Recently I came up with this switch device. It takes the pain out of the switch, and lends itself to the multitude of effects that rely on a deck switch.

This utility device harks back to one of the big magical influences on me. It was in my early performing days, in 1977, when I had the pleasure of watching first hand Fred Kaps's charming performance of Scotty York's ingenious Razor Card routine. Ken Brooke was desperately keen to put this on the market, but Kaps was determined to keep it for himself, such did he prize the effect.

This delightful routine has seldom been seen over all those decades since, primarily because it depended on a pocket deck switch - although I did perform it on TV a couple of times.

Alongside my take on the Razor Card routine, I also developed two other strong routines that rely on The Black Box. One was inspired by Dean Dill's splendid Blizzard, a rather different effect that relied upon a singular switching device; suffice to say that it has now become my favorite application of The Black Box! Another is a version of an effect I previously published, which has been enhanced by the use of The Black Box.

Thanks to Alan Wong's fine craftsmanship and Bob Gill's beautifully-written instructions, the final product is one we are proud to present.

Available now at your favorite Murphy's Magic retailer.

See more info here: https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=63697
Another useless trailer.
I have to agree with Pegasus, just horrible!
I want back the minute of my life I just wasted watching that @$%&!! trailer!! :( :( :(
Useless by its simpicity. « The best deck switch NEVER seen ».
The deck switch was so go can’t even see it in the trailer !!!!!!!
Dealers really should learn that trailers such as this not only annoy but put potential customers off. Few will buy or be tempted by a trailer such as this.
Until we see the product's worth, retailers won't see much interest or custom.
I take it there are no live demos as of yet then? I'm wondering if it's anything like the Cooler.
You apparently show 2 deck Blue and Red inside the box. And you can switch one of the deck with any gimmick deck you want. Just a simple as that.
Yes, the trailer isn't really good on this one :lol:
Yikes. That video.
[quote]On May 8, 2019, Topcliffe wrote:
I take it there are no live demos as of yet then? I'm wondering if it's anything like the Cooler. [/quote]

Cooler IMO is better because it's more clean just only the deck, not plastic box involve.
[quote]On May 8, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Another useless trailer. [/quote]

[quote]On May 8, 2019, RNK wrote:
I have to agree with Pegasus, just horrible! [/quote]
[quote]On May 8, 2019, Jonathan1000 wrote:
I want back the minute of my life I just wasted watching that @$%&!! trailer!! :( :( :( [/quote]
[quote]On May 8, 2019, makulit974 wrote:
Useless by its simpicity. « The best deck switch NEVER seen ». [/quote]
[quote]On May 8, 2019, MR Effecto wrote:
The deck switch was so go can’t even see it in the trailer !!!!!!! [/quote]

[quote]On May 8, 2019, NeilS wrote:
Dealers really should learn that trailers such as this not only annoy but put potential customers off. Few will buy or be tempted by a trailer such as this.

Until [quote]On May 9, 2019, Ceierry wrote:
Yes, the trailer isn't really good on this one :lol: [/quote] we see the product's worth, retailers won't see much interest or custom. [/quote]

[quote]On May 9, 2019, saysold1 wrote:
Yikes. That video. [/quote]

Have to Agree with ALL of the above the Video is as Useless as a Chocolate Teapot

Message to Wayne and any other dealers if you can't put out a proper Demo then it would be better not to put out anything at all

All this has done is put people off buying !
IMO cold case is the best deck switch. The cooler does not really look live a card box but is sturdy. The flash deck switch does look like a real box but is extremely fragile. So cold case is made of metal and a real card box so it is the best of both worlds and doesn't use a weird looking black box.
[quote]On May 9, 2019, indomagic wrote:
You apparently show 2 deck Blue and Red inside the box. And you can switch one of the deck with any gimmick deck you want. Just a simple as that. [/quote]
Thanks for your reply. That's what I was afraid of with BB: I already have one of those, which I got really cheap through Magic Warehouse (iirc). I've never used it though, because it raises the question of why I keep my cards in a black box to begin with, and it's impractical to carry around. Seems at least at this point, unless Black Box has some dazzling new feature(s), that the money would be better spent on something like Giobbi's book of gimmickless switches. I have Cold Case and the Cooler, both of which I like, but as stated elsewhere here, Cold Case is probably the cleanest of the switch gimmicks, nothing to explain.

PS: I emailed WD through his website, and the reply I got was: "Unfortunately due to the nature of the gimmick it is very hard to relay this on video." I'm having trouble making sense of that answer: if a gimmick is meant to be used in a real-life working setting, why would it be problematic to show a clip of it in action? Sorry, that sounds kinda fishy.
Ha. Not only is the trailer worthless, check out 0:29 - "Simpicity". I guess "simpicity" means style over substance and the inability to spell. Sure, I'm totally inspired to fork over $50 for .... what exactly? And 3 routines? Cold Case comes with a *ton* of teaching from Gregory Wilson and about a dozen quality routines.
[quote]On May 8, 2019, MurphysNEW wrote:
See more info here: https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=63697 [/quote]

Here, I corrected it for you:
See less info here: https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=63697
The trailer is useless. Can't see laying out $50.00 for a switching device I know nothing about. I'll sit this one out till someone shots a real video. Regards, Byron
[quote]On May 9, 2019, CardGuyMike wrote:
Ha. Not only is the trailer worthless, check out 0:29 - "Simpicity". I guess "simpicity" means style over substance and the inability to spell. Sure, I'm totally inspired to fork over $50 for .... what exactly? And 3 routines? Cold Case comes with a *ton* of teaching from Gregory Wilson and about a dozen quality routines. [/quote]
He also uses "it's" for "its"! And yeah, Gregory Wilson was so generous with the routines for Cold Case.
Update: I got an email from someone at WD's website, and he said that they're working on a demo trailer.
[quote]On May 10, 2019, Topcliffe wrote:
Update: I got an email from someone at WD's website, and he said that they're working on a demo trailer. [/quote]

I am sure we will all be waiting with Baited Breath !!
Must get this. Not
Looks like the same thing is available on Amazon for $9.89

https://www.amazon.com/Hugging-Tree-Hill-Soap-Pack/dp/B076LGSN1J?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_3
[quote]On May 10, 2019, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Looks like the same thing is available on Amazon for $9.89

https://www.amazon.com/Hugging-Tree-Hill-Soap-Pack/dp/B076LGSN1J?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_3 [/quote]

You get three of them!
Even with a video there seems to be no benefit to this over any other switch as That box is unnatural and why would you have both decks in there?
Well, I just got notice that there's a trailer: https://vimeo.com/335739377. I'll withhold commentary and let it speak for itself.
Well, I applaud them for releasing a true video. Though, now I can see why they didn't make one in the first place. For me, using a black box to carry decks of cards is strange. I don't know, maybe it's just me.....
Pass.
Where can the video be viewed
[quote]On May 13, 2019, cardbiker wrote:
Where can the video be viewed [/quote]
Here:
https://vimeo.com/335739377
[quote]On May 13, 2019, Thomas Walter wrote:
[quote]On May 13, 2019, cardbiker wrote:
Where can the video be viewed [/quote]
Here:
https://vimeo.com/335739377 [/quote]

Thank you
Oh dear !
Just need a guy with a camera behind the spectator so they can turn around and show the camera at the appropriate time
What.
Message: Posted by: Aaron Smith Magic (May 13, 2019 05:58PM)
Ouch
This comes to mind. Dean Dill's Blizzard.
Watch this
https://youtu.be/G0Ssj6mzvu8
So it's just a d**k sh**l that looks like a weird black box instead of a card case? For $50? And that rather un-subtle switch is the best they can do? Pass.
I normally love Wayne's releases. This is aweful. The routine and demo shown on Vimeo is lacking any thought. "Cards isolated in box"...then taken out again to be shuffled. Bad! The switch itself is dreadful. And there is no reason for a plastic black box. I suggest Shawn Fahquar pocket switch or Cold case or even better the deck shell.
I applaud them for showing you exactly what it is at least. Better than lots of other vendors.
[quote]On May 13, 2019, CardGuyMike wrote:
So it's just a d**k sh**l that looks like a weird black box instead of a card case? For $50? And that rather un-subtle switch is the best they can do? Pass. [/quote]

I'll never forget seeing Dill do this for me at his shop. I was baffled. Then at the end he handed the deck to me and said "Are you familiar with rough and smooth?". I had a glimmer of understanding until I spread through the cards and felt like I got smacked over the head!
Looks like they’ve taken down the Vimeo performance video at the link above.
[quote]On May 16, 2019, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Looks like they’ve taken down the Vimeo performance video at the link above. [/quote]

They've re-edited it so that the move now takes place off-camera. Not a great solution either. ***ed if you do...

Evan
[quote]***ed if you do...[/quote]

I've been censored!
[quote][quote]On May 16, 2019, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Looks like they've taken down the Vimeo performance video at the link above. [/quote]

They've re-edited it so that the move now takes place off-camera. Not a great solution either. ***ed if you do...

Evan [/quote]
Wow. When I wrote to WD via his website, the answer I got for why there was no demo was because it was so secret, as though some new breakthrough in deck switches was on the horizon. Then they release a demo that's a total letdown (years of development to come up with a much less appealing version of the Cooler?). And now they cut out the really clumsy and obvious switch? Youch.
Wayne Dobson always guaranteed clever thinking and quality. This looks a little....err...different. :(
[quote]On May 16, 2019, Topcliffe wrote:
[quote][quote]On May 16, 2019, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Looks like they've taken down the Vimeo performance video at the link above. [/quote]

Evan [/quote]
Wow. When I wrote to WD via his website, the answer I got for why there was no demo was because it was so secret, as though some new breakthrough in deck switches was on the horizon. Then they release a demo that's a total letdown (years of development to come up with a much less appealing version of the Cooler?). And now they cut out the really clumsy and obvious switch? Youch. [/quote]

In fairness, creating a video demo of a utility like this is an impossible task. The switch relies on misdirection, which is fine, but you can't misdirect the camera. So they have a difficult choice between complete exposure and deceptive editing. I'm sure that, in performance, the switch works fine. But still, there are certainly better, cleaner, more organic methods.

Evan
[quote]On May 13, 2019, colin underwood wrote:
I normally love Wayne's releases. This is aweful. The routine and demo shown on Vimeo is lacking any thought. "Cards isolated in box"...then taken out again to be shuffled. Bad! The switch itself is dreadful. And there is no reason for a plastic black box. I suggest Shawn Fahquar pocket switch or Cold case or even better the deck shell. [/quote]

Colin, you are so in tune with the *simpicity* of Dobson's Black Box that it's certainly "aweful" as you say - by the by, aweful is the obsolete spelling of "awful". Pointing the finger & you ended up misspelling "awful". Categories: English non-lemma forms. English misspellings. Anyone can make a mistake, but are you going to take their *word* for it? Chears!
When the camera needlessly turned to show the spectator’s selection, I literally laughed out loud.
I get that this is not a magician fooler and, yes it it a little overpriced but some of the adjectives being applied to the box are a tad ott, 'weird' and 'unnatural' being two examples.
What's odd about the presence of a fairly unobtrusuve box on a magician's table?
[quote]On Jun 14, 2019, art85y wrote:
I get that this is not a magician fooler and, yes it it a little overpriced but some of the adjectives being applied to the box are a tad ott, 'weird' and 'unnatural' being two examples.
What's odd about the presence of a fairly unobtrusuve box on a magician's table? [/quote]

Ok How many magicians have you seen in the last 20 years approach table with a plastic Box

NONE ?

Fact is he has spent time working on a solution to a problem that does not exit

If you need a switching Device already there is Cold Case by Greg Wilson that does the Job and its Lower cost
Ok, you don't like it and I am far from being its advocate, but, isn't it the case that very often a stage or TV magician will not be standing there introducing himself with prop/s in hand, but approach a table with the props already in place upon it? (eg Paul Daniels)

My point is to offer genuine criticisms and not lapse into fanciful adjectives, it's a bloody box, nothing weird or unnatural about it.
[quote]On Jun 14, 2019, art85y wrote:
Ok, you don't like it and I am far from being its advocate, but, isn't it the case that very often a stage or TV magician will not be standing there introducing himself with prop/s in hand, but approach a table with the props already in place upon it? (eg Paul Daniels)

My point is to offer genuine criticisms and not lapse into fanciful adjectives, it's a bloody box, nothing weird or unnatural about it. [/quote]

Well, as I am not opposed to using any type of props or how they look because magic, for me, is fun and can be accomplished using an array of items. Though, I must say that I have reservations introducing a black box that is holding my deck of cards. Not sure why but I do. Just my opinion of course...
Thanks RNK, balanced and objective comments.
I can imagine this effect with a suitable tarot deck [and a suitable box :-)] in which all the unchosen cards turn into The Devil. This might be a nice project for Gemini or Lebanon Circle.