(Close Window)
Topic: Ambitious Card Question
What do you think is the best ending for the Ambitious card is out of the following choices?

card to mouth
shoe't
card to wallet
Ultimate ambition

Also, you can say shoe't followed up with Ultimate ambition. Thanks a lot.
Its hard to beat a signed card to sealed envelope in wallet.... Then again you can read the thread in this forum entitled "Ambitious Card Ending" and get another few dozen ideas....

S.Segal
Card in sock by Carl Cloutier IMHO is the best ending for an ambitious card .

If the ambitious card does not have to end in an impossible location, I end it in an impossible situation/state, either by using the dark card ,or kundalini rising.

I sometimes end it with my interccesor.

Rannie
There are no best endings for the Ambitious Card. It is a plot with no ending. No matter what you do, the spectator knows what is going to happen. This is a puzzle, not a magic trick, as it is usually seen. It appeals to magicians, and it puzzles laymen, but it is certainly not a good magical effect. You make the card rise, then you do it again, then you do it again, then you do it more imposssibly, then you do it with a bend, then you do it to a shoe, then you're done - ho, hum! The AC is a challenge effect, and it shows how clever you can be, but it certainly has no plot - think about that! By the way, there are solutions, I've seen some. They're not in print, and I hope they never are, but there are solutions...

Best, PSC
I like the one where you put a forklift on top of the deck and a wallet on top of that and I'll be darned if that there card don't end up in the wallet somehow. Sorry Paul, had to do it...
Though I will undoubtedly have a magician or two disagreeing with me, if you wish to have people remember the ambitious
card as... the ambitious card, then you want to avoid most of the endings you mentioned. If you end with a card to impo
ssible location, all they will remember about the effect is that the card ended up in an impossible location. If you do
ubt this, keep in mind that most laypeople just remember "the big balls" in a chop cup or cups and balls routine.

The card to impossible location is such a ridiculously strong effect that the ambitious portion will be readily forgotte
n. If this is of no concern to you, then by all means go right ahead. But why do two effects if the audience will reme
mber one when you can do two and have a better chance of them remembering two?

- From a "pure" standpoint, Daryl's Ultimate Ambition is very likely the best most widely available way of ending the ro
utine. I also like Raise Rise (Ray Kosby), the SWE Shift or Shifty (Christ Kenner) for those looking to avoid anything
extra. And if you do not mind leaving minor crimps, the "bent card ploy" (Hugard/Braue) is always strong.

My latest ending I have toyed with is one inspired by rumors regarding Gaetan Bloom's approach. It looks like Raise Ris
e only the cards are in the box, and you literally see it rise to the top. My lone complaint about this is there is ver
y little mystery. It's not that the methodology is transparent, but rather, the spectators are seeing the cards do exac
tly what you say they are doing. And here, you have an argument over whether it is better to imply a miracle than to sh
ow it, and that is a whole different conversation.

And just to be canonical, Vernon's apparent intent of the routine (Stars of Magic) was not a pure "card comes to the top
" but rather intended to be a misdirection/guessing game to the spectator. The spectator is to be lead to believe he ca
n follow what is going on, only to find out this is not so as the card will go to the bottom in his version. His perfor
mance of the routine in the Revelations series proves as much.
The endings here sound really good. I wouldn't know how to do them but that's not the point.
I finish my ACR with the well know pop up move (braue I believe, please correct me if I am wrong)There is something incredibly deceptive about it. I love that move!
As a finale, tell spec you'll see what happens when you put the card in face up. Put the card in using a tilt, then do an Erdnase color change to bring in to the top. Or if you've been snapping your fingers, put it in tilt face down and do a snap type change holding an indifferent top card.
I agree with Pedkac.... about people only remembering the end of a routine type trick. I have even tested this theory on several ppl that I work with. What I did was show each person the same routine, in a different order. The tricks still flow and the patter is still the same for the most part. I then ask the person which trick he likes the best, they always say the last one that I performed is the best. After this I waited about 3 months and did the same routine but again in a different order for each person. (I only had one person recognize that I was doing the same tricks just in different order.)They all picked different tricks as there favorite, and guess what they where all the last trick it did. All the tricks where similar in reactions that I get from ppl.
Oh... as for the ACR I use a similar version to Bill Malone’s..... ACR is just a classic...
To answer the original question...card to mouth - not folded card in mouth. The version where the signed card is seen fairly put into the deck and then suddenly is seen hanging from your mouth.
It depends on who you are and what audience you are performing for. The card from mouth, shoe, sock are all great endings if you are in a bar.

But depending on where you are performing and how high class your audience is they may or may not be a good ending for that performance evening.

If you are performing at a high class cocktail party they may not find it in good taste if the magician pulls off his sock and shoe and exosed a bare foot. Just of find a selected card.

Also the card in the fly may also not be a good choice.

I like card in the box, card to pocket or wallet or the card under the drink if the performance venue and audience calls for it.

I feel this very strongly just as you should dress one step better dressed than your audience is a good rule - I also feel magicians should choose their effects from their audience point of view.

Anyway that is my slant... others have their own way and if it works that is great for them!
Has to be the pop up card. It's simply gobsmacking
I agree with Paul. I took me more than twenty years to find a way to present Ambitious Card that overcame my misgivings about the plot.

My ending (which will be included in my upcoming manuscript "Tribute") has the signed card appear face up on top while the pack is out of your hands. It's an ungaffed method, well suited for use with a borrowed pack, with good (but not great) angles. It requires significant skill in both sleight of hand and audience direction but it's as magical a rise as you could ask for...

Some folks here on the Café may have seen the video I had posted on my website a year ago...

For those who wish to do their own "work" on the idea I'll give you a hint. It's based upon a Marlo technique (which I've refined a bit) that can be found in Card Finesse.
[quote]
On 2004-05-19 14:36, pepijn wrote:
The endings here sound really good. I wouldn't know how to do them but that's not the point.
I finish my ACR with the well know pop up move (braue I believe, please correct me if I am wrong)There is something incredibly deceptive about it. I love that move!
[/quote]

Here, here. A great way to end this effect!!!
I like the pop up move the best so far. It always gets oohs and ahs. I have thought about ending with card to wallet, but havent tried it yet.
I like for the card to remain "ambitious" throughout my whole card routine, not just this one trick. After performing just a short typical AC I move on to other tricks. However, it's not long before the previously selected and signed card appears under a glass on the far side of the table or other impossible locations. I force the card later for example at the start of another trick, the card always shows up no matter what I do. The card haunts me. I then can explain why I am tearing the card up only to restore it. My ambitious card is haunted by the ghost of my grandfather. I finish my whole card routine card to ceiling to free his sole to the above, whatever that might be. Not everyones cup of tea, but, it explains why I am performing several tricks that really are not related in any way.
They will only remember the end of the ambitous card if its much stronger than the first stages, the solution, make the first stages stronger, I did this by doing my acr face up and at the end it dissapears and ends up in my pocket. the card to pocket is stronger , but not so much stronger that they forget about the first few stages .
ollie
I like the idea of the card been sign twice like in Gregory Wilson video, Pyrotechnic Pasteboards.
One of the few endings that actually makes sense is Paul Harris's Solid Deception.
I have done an ACR with the entire deck face up and the card signed on the back. I used it with the presentation of making sure you know what you put your signature on, as it appears on many different cards. It got great reactions. To end, the signature ended on card that said "IOU $100". I would take out my wallet to collect and in the wallet would be the IOU card with a "PAID" stamped across it and the specs signature on the back.

Trevor
I think having the card reach it's "ultimate destination" one could have the card end up on the ceiling. I've done this a few times and have gotten great reactions.

Just my thoughts!

Stever
[quote]
On 2004-05-19 16:13, twistedace wrote:
To answer the original question...card to mouth - not folded card in mouth. The version where the signed card is seen fairly put into the deck and then suddenly is seen hanging from your mouth.
[/quote]

I would have to agree. This always gets a good laugh from the audience, especially if it takes them a while to realize their card is hanging from your mouth.
I use card to wallet, at least formally.
[quote]
On 2004-05-24 17:41, Steve Landavazo wrote:
I think having the card reach it's "ultimate destination" one could have the card end up on the ceiling. I've done this a few times and have gotten great reactions.

Just my thoughts!

Stever
[/quote]

Michael Ammar talks about this and finally decided against finishing the ACR with a card to ceiling because it diminished the Card to Ceiling. His reasoning was that in the card to ceiling the card has to be lost in the middle. That illicits the, "how did it get from the middle of the deck to the ceiling?" But in the ACR the spectators, by the end, know that the card just popped up to the top. So no big deal on why the card stuck to the ceiling, other than the "how" of how it stuck.
I really like the Bill Malone version where the whole deck dissapears except the selected card, but now that I've read this, I've gotten some new ideas. Thanks
Finish off with the Card 2 Toilet :D
Another vote for the Pop-up card. Great reactions.
Card to mouth would be the best.

Ryan
For escapologists, "Card to Sub Trunk" would be the topper!
From your list, I think Daryl's Ultimate Ambition is the strongest and in best keeping with the plot of the effect. Pop-Up Card is another one to consider. Personally, I used to finish my Ambitious Card routine by having the signed card end up folded in a small, brown, staple-sealed paper bag. It got very strong reactions. In case ya didn't know, it's Super Sack from AoA vol. 2.
End an ACR with the simplest moves like
the

-Snap Change
-Braue Pop-Up move
-Shape Shifter
-Long Distance Spinner
-Any Color Change
-or a face-up rise doing a riffle pass
Do you know the inventor of ACR and why it called ACR?

Then if you ask what is the best ending for ACR, you should try to answer that question first. What is the sense of ACR?

I really do not agree with card to impossible location. It is very confusing for the audience.

I always create my routine based on this simple question: "If the spectator have to tell the whole routine to their friend, what should they say?"

Then I create the routine.

Budiono
Nobody mentioned Jay Sankey's "Airtight." It's pretty dramatic to have the entire deck zapped inside a balloon, and then pull the Ambitious Card out without popping it. Sankey's "Paperclipped" is another nice Ambitious Finale.

The bottom line, though, I go along with Budiono, Pebkak, and the rest of you who have said ACR stands well on its own without any fancy finales.

Ultimate Ambition doesn't float my boat. It's too gimmicky. And Card to Mouth is too unhygienic. (I mean, yeah, that's one way to end a trick. Get your saliva all over the card and try to hand it back to the spec.)

All that being said, I'd love to see Dorian's Forklift ending. (snicker snicker)

Pick a card,

Steve
Airtight, while cheap, I feel is another sankey product worth the money. however, that's only 2 that I count that are worth buying :lol:
There can never be an ending to AC, only different ways the card comes back to the top..
Full circle..............This is what makes the effect so powerfull magicians are trying their best top create different ways to bring the card back to the top of the pack.
One could find the card at the bottom of the ocean in Titanc's safe this would not en the effect ....

vinny
The Titanic safe :) LOL!

That would made a bloody marvelous closer.

Everyone interested for an ambitious card routine with focus and strong conviction, should read Darwin Ortiz's book Scams&Fantasies. It's one of the most well constructed routines, along with Wesley James in his book Enchantments.

They both stress the fact that most ambitious card routines lack in some perspective. That is the presentational factor. I think you'll find their thoughts very interesting and their routines extraordinary.
My vote is for Bill Malone's 'I Don't Even Have a Pocket'. It's a funny take on the card to pocket idea.
Wonderful post about 'how would someone tell the story to a friend'. Bravo!

I hope we get more of this kind of thinking around here.

Wouldn't a really ambitious card keep appearing in your WALLET where it tries to mingle with your credit cards?
In my opinion, it doesn't get any better than Card to Wallet.

Shane Wiker
Card to wallet (zipper, envelope etc) is its own effect and very strong.

I was suggesting something ELSE above.
[quote]
On 2004-07-24 10:55, mattisdx wrote:
Finish off with the Card 2 Toilet :D
[/quote]

Follow this with card to mouth to really get your audience gasping in awe :)

Dave
I don't' know if anyone will care about this but I would love to use a blue backed deck for the whole routine then use Paul Harris' Cros twist to rutn the ambitious card red! and it still has the signature.

Thre routine would contain more double lifts or double sided tape on one card..but that's an amazing ending.
Patter Idea: look this card is getting so much attention its blushin, its turning red..do the move!

hope you like it!

MACGYVER
I think there is no proper ending. It just came to me.. no matter how many times you lose the card it always reveals itself - on the top, face up in the deck or in an impossible location.. :)
I rarely do the ACR anymore, but I like using Peter Scarlett's Dark Card principle. Basically, after having the card signed and handled by the spectator, the finale is the card's back changed color.

.....or was it always like that?

-Christian
My favorite ending for AC is to show that the deck contains only the AC. The deck is then handed to your spectator who looks through the deck and finds all it different. The AC is then removed from your pocket. Most spectators think that the deck is made up of the same card any way.
Best two I've seen are Daryl's tied rope ending and Tommy Wonder's folded card in box. Both great endings to an ambitious card routine.
While I have always liked this trick for its inherent magic and impossibility. I've come to realize just "making it more impossible" for the card to come to the top is selling the trick short. Sure you can make the card appear in you wallet, but what's more impossible after that? In other words, why does the trick stop?

Jonathan, has a good idea. Atleast that gives a reason for the card going to your wallet, which is more than I can say for most of the presentations I've seen.

Can the audience be more involved - can they have something at stake? Do you give them something else to think about, rather than just how's it going to come to the top this time? If they are more involved in the hook of the routine they are less likely to be wondering how you did it.
[quote]
On 2004-05-22 17:29, wsduncan wrote:
I agree with Paul. I took me more than twenty years to find a way to present Ambitious Card that overcame my misgivings about the plot.

My ending (which will be included in my upcoming manuscript "Tribute") has the signed card appear face up on top while the pack is out of your hands. It's an ungaffed method, well suited for use with a borrowed pack, with good (but not great) angles. It requires significant skill in both sleight of hand and audience direction but it's as magical a rise as you could ask for...

Some folks here on the Café may have seen the video I had posted on my website a year ago...

For those who wish to do their own "work" on the idea I'll give you a hint. It's based upon a Marlo technique (which I've refined a bit) that can be found in Card Finesse.

[/quote]

This sounds intriguing - which means the rest of your manuscript would be intriguing. Please let us know when and where it's available.
[quote]
On 2004-08-01 22:43, Steinbock wrote:
Nobody mentioned Jay Sankey's "Airtight." It's pretty dramatic to have the entire deck zapped inside a balloon, and then pull the Ambitious Card out without popping it....

Ultimate Ambition doesn't float my boat. It's too gimmicky. And Card to Mouth is too unhygienic. (I mean, yeah, that's one way to end a trick. Get your saliva all over the card and try to hand it back to the spec.)
[/quote]

Too gimmicky? Moreso than "Airtight"? I find Ultimate Ambition easier to ring in than a deck prepped for "Airtight"; as well, it can be handled more freely than the "Airtight" setup -- less gimmicky, in that sense.

Having said that, I can see the impact that "Airtight" can have as an ending. But I can also see it easily overpowering the entire "rising to the top of the deck" sequence that would precede it.

In my current ACR, I've ditched the "ambitious" patter completely and focused on something else. The routine is called "Affinity in Action" and is rooted in the idea of the spectator having a connection to the card he/she selected which results in the card being drawn toward the spectator. The theme/patter justify the card's repeated movement to the top of the deck but also opens the door to other effects, such as jumping from one packet of cards to another (held by the spectator) or appearing in the spectator's pocket. Ending by giving the signed card to the spectator provides closure since it both accomplishes the card's own "goal" and serves to remove such a potentially troublesome pastboard from the magician's deck.
Mormonyoyoman, I've sent you a PM.

bill
The way I like to end my ACR is by revealing that their signed card had a different coloured back all this time... basically in the whole routine I deal with DLs so I never really show the real back of the card since the beginning... and after the revelation, its just a stunner...
Interesting...
So you have a card signed face-up.
Then you turn it face down, meaning that face-up must be a double to be able to turn it face down and not (yet) revealing it's *other* backcolor.
Then you push it off (the other one) to insert it into the deck, and now the backcolour of the signed card is revealed..?
Well done..???

Or you do a triple, top card is the one getting signed with another back, the 3d card from the top is a DB, then you can do a triple turn over and insert the now top with a normal back into the deck..hmm..could be done, but therefrom??
Oh no..don't explain, I want to figure it out myself.. :)
Well, inserting it face-up and doing a well done pass is another pop-up..but I really can't se one can go much further with this concept..

All the above just reconstructed in mind-not with a deck in my hands..but I sense some probs in that approach you described.. :)
Folks, it all HAS to come back to the [b]meaning[/b] of the magical activity in the routine.

The premise is in the minds of the beholder on this one, and so is the most effective conclusion.

You have to set the premise and follow it to its conclusion.

Yeah, you.
Well, thinking for a minute more..there are possible solutions to that plot, though I wouldn't use that premise, meaning, not even that finish..
I don't think it is THAT strong..

One can start with the 'Chicago Opener' instead and hit them hard already there, before doing the ACR and find a stronger ending for the ACR..there is enough to choose from..
When doing an ambitious card routine the ending depends on the situation. For example at a fancy dinner party the card to mouth wouldn't be appropriate for the circumstances, in this situation a card to wallet would be best. However on the street corner the card to mouth or card to shoe would be more acceptable. Situations effect all magic. Where your performing for and who should be the decider.
Thanks,
A Aptaker
What's wrong with the spectators walking away remembering only the ending to the trick? They have a simple summary that they can describe to a friend and you definitely made an impression. AND, as an added bonus, should they tell someone else what you did, and you are approached later on to perform it again, (given that the spectator only told his/her friend only about your finale) the friend will think you're performing a different trick than the one his friend described to him when you're first startign the routine. Therefore, it still makes the ending spontaneous because they don't expect it, or at least don't know when to expect it.
[quote]
On 2004-05-18 19:06, magicman222 wrote:
What do you think is the best ending for the Ambitious card is out of the following choices?

card to mouth
shoe't
card to walllet
Ultimate ambition

also, you can say shoe't followed up with Ultimate ambition. thanks alot.
[/quote]

From where I sit only one of those is an ending to the Ambitious Card: Ultimate Ambition. The others are "card to impossible location" effects that have nothing to do with the card rising to the top of the pack.
When I do the ACR, my last "to the top" phase is always the pop up move. Nothing more visual than seeing that.

That being said, having that card end up in a box is POWERFULL!!! I have never encountered anyone who forgot the card going to the top over and over. In fact, as they always explain it back later, its usually, "I saw the card pop up on top of the deck from the middle, the end up in a box that was in my pocket/hand the whole time!" I start out by handing my box (Destination Box - Jon Allen) to a spectator at the very beginning of my set, which sells the impossibility of the card ending up there. Also, you do not have to do card to box right after the ACR ending. In fact, I will frequently go on to other effects, and at the end of the set, have the card (ACR) show up in the box they have been holding since the beginning.

I never do card to wallet with this though, I do that as a stand alone effect, ala Eugene Burger.
Okay, two of the best AC routies that I've viewed and would like to incoporate into my routine are 1 ) Daryl's Ultimate AC with the gaffed finale with rope, and 2 ) Martin Sanderson's signed card to sealed envelope/omnideck AC routine! I think Daryl's AC routine is amazing and the end always get a standup oviation from the audiences. Martin Sanderson's AC routine is very strong also and not very long. However, it really hits between the teeth with his short table-hopping AC routine. If you opted for Martin's routine, make sure you like doing palming and also get a Jerry O'Connel's Plus Wallet and not forgetting an omnideck.
I think there's something to be said for using Jenning's Ambitious Classic to end the ACR. Instead of using the Joker, as does Ammar in ETMCM, use the AC as the kicker to end the trick and don't bring attention back to the deck. I see that as a natural ending. You have gone from having a full deck and now hold only one card. What's more, you have gone from working with a specific card that always returns to the top to a related but different routine that uses 5 different cards, none of which is the selection. This makes the appearance of the AC at the end that much more magical.
I tend to agree with a much earlier post that if you place the card in an impossible location, the "Ambitious Card" aspect of the routine can easily be forgotten. I end by explaining that the cards ambition can extend to its desire to just rebel against the rest of the deck. I visibly place their actual card into the center of the deck face down (the same direction as the rest of the deck), then with a snap of the fingers their card is turned the opposite direction of the rest of the deck. I follow this by placing the the card in the deck deliberately facing the opposite direction(also in full sight of spectator). Then using the Erdnase color change the entire deck flips around, except their card. The only other move used in this ending is a Braue reversal.
YOu could always swap the deck for an identical rising deck, and the card is still 'ambitious' even when the deck is put on its side
A lot of people have mentioned the pop-up move as a potential ending, but I don't think anyone mentioned why (aside from there being a bigger reaction than the other phases in their routines). It CAN be a logical ending, assuming you don't stick to the "ambitious" plot, because the card is bent. Once the card is bent, placed in the middle, and visibly pops up, any future revelations "would look the same" to the spectator - put it in, pops up to the top. Easy time to just end it and let them keep their card, rather than straighten it out and do yet another move.

My ACR ending is more of a transition phase. Again, the patter has nothing to do with being ambitious, but essentially the last phase uses the James/Ellis Loading move to get the spectator to sign an indifferent card on the back, which becomes their card after they see their card go into the deck. Since it's signed on both sides now, it's easy to move on (unless you just want to add a bunch of riffle passes or cardini changes... I don't). I say it's a transition phase because I can then perform Torn with the card before giving it to the spectator. So my ACR ending isn't really an ending to the audience, though it no longer "comes to the top of the deck" after the loading move.

HB
I should not say this...i like gary ouellet's threshold as a finish to acr...

dug
I always end with these three things, one after the other - pop-up move, then card to pocket, then torn and restored.

Hope this helps,
F.D. :bg:
Does anyone know of the routine where the AC is used with more than one card and more than one spectator? I saw this routine where a magician asked three people to pick a card, and the three cards appeared either on the top or the bottom, even when placed a different places in the deck.. it was many years ago that I saw this and have no idea who performed it, but it was on some television show. Very cool, but seem very complicated

Dxsare
Message: Posted by: FlippingWonderful (Aug 23, 2006 04:30PM)
I've seen a torn and restored ending to an ACR with two people (Richard Bellar - Urban DVD)

Very nice, and how I end my ACR now.
Depending on the situation...
!card to mouth
!solid deception
!t&r
!card thru window
!pop up move
I often use Jay Sankey's Rubber-Rise with subtleties from Justin Hane's Ambition Bound.
[quote]
On 2006-08-20 13:53, dxsare wrote:
Does anyone know of the routine where the AC is used with more than one card and more than one spectator? I saw this routine where a magician asked three people to pick a card, and the three cards appeared either on the top or the bottom, even when placed a different places in the deck.. it was many years ago that I saw this and have no idea who performed it, but it was on some television show. Very cool, but seem very complicated

Dxsare
[/quote]

I would reread our good friend Mr. Erdnase- The top and Bottom production (which is one of my favorite pieces). I hope that helps!

Also, in regards to card to impossible location being so powerful that an audience will forget the previous phases, I don't agree. If you are dealing with an even semi-aware audience, that shouldn't be an issue. If what you mean is it overshadows it, then heres my question to you- do you only perform one trick, with one climax, per set? Otherwise, by the same logic, if you started with AC and then the next effect was card to wallet (which several people have said they feel is so strong audiences will forget the AC sequence) they would forget the AC sequence ANYWAY!

I think magic should build, I think it should flow, and I think there should be SOME sort of logic (even if the logic is occasionally "because it makes it more deceptive/entertaining). I used to agree with not ending with an impossible ending, not because I was worried that it would overshadow the earlier sequences (in all honesty, everything I do I think is strong enough to stand on its own, otherwise I wouldn't do it), but because I didn't see how it fit with the rest of the routine. Now I think I've found that. Although I do Jazz it up a little, I think with some though card to impossible location can be a very good, strong, and LOGICAL ending.

End ramblings.
I'm surprised no one has picked up on Thernier's presentation idea. It sounds wondefully engaging for the spectator. I don't see the problem as how the ACR should end, but rather how should ACR be presented. The problem with finishing the ACR arises because the effect is inherently directionless in a presentation sense. Thernier's idea for a presentation makes his finale meaningful,logical and coheres the entire performance.

More post on presentations based on the ACR rather than moves to finish a directionless series of sleights and card controls.
How about performing Wayne Houchin's Indecent so show that not only can the ambitious card melt through other cards to reach the top, it can also change its physical properties and melt through a plastic ziplock bag?

Evikshin
Personally I love to do Card to mouth, its easy, clean, and has that "what the heck!" factor, also occasionally you can get your audiance to really roll with it when after several seconds only one or two notice. Also card to impossible location if good too but ill admit that the only one I know is card to breast pocket.
I like to end with card to box {mistery box 2 } this has never failed to FRY.
Message: Posted by: Sword of the Soldier (Nov 18, 2008 07:39PM)
I use a misdirection palm, and make the card appear somewhere. Usually I do the work, talking about how fast it comes up, the do a tossing action with the deck and "catch" the card two feet above the air. People freak out haha!

Josh
I like to finish my ACR with paperclipped.
I really like doing an ACR with a one-way force deck in which the ambitious card is the only odd card. "The problem with this trick is that any 5-year old knows how it's done. You've figured it out right?" Someone is almost sure to say "They're all the same card." "Exactly, they're all the same card" (reveal) "Hey, they're not all YOUR card. That would make it too easy..."
Here's my two cents.
I have heard people complain about using omni-deck or solid deception as a closer to ACR. They say it doesn't make sense.

My current ACR finale is card to forehead (WOW says the audience)/deck switch/omni block in their hands.

It just plain works really well for me. I used to just do forehead... and that was super sufficient. One time, I added the Omni and boom! It became super duper sufficient.

Two climaxes that seem to work really well. Kind of a double kick to the head.

So with all the waxing poetically about this should be done, or that shouldn't be done... or whatever... I have decided to go with what the experts tell me. The experts being the audience.
I really like the ending that Johnathan Kamm uses in his ACR, a double signed card - sig on front and an X on the back.
I might start to perform Tagged as my "impromptu looking" acr finale.
[quote]
On 2008-11-18 22:32, scody wrote:

So with all the waxing poetically about this should be done, or that shouldn't be done... or whatever... I have decided to go with what the experts tell me. The experts being the audience.
[/quote]

You are a VERY smart performer!
I've been re working my ACR's finale and have been thinking the Mystery box seems like a great ending! I may also employ the use of Extractor with or without the box! Using both may be gilding the lilly as they say but in practice it works well!

I agree Uriel, Kamm's ACR is one of the best!

Mick
How about Loophole by our member, Cameron Francis?
Card To THEIR Mouth is always a killer... But I'm yet to work out a method.

I disagree that the Ambitious Card Routine is a puzzle and not a magic effect. When it is presented as a puzzle it is usually very boring. When it is presented as a full blown routine with twists and turns, and the spectators burning your hands but still not seeing what is going on and then an ultra surprising ending it becomes not only card magic, but magic with the spectator. They have to challenge what there eyes are seeing. This is hugely entertaining and makes it a great effect.

Colin
My favorite endings are:

ungaffed - pop-up move or card to pocket
gaffed - Daryl's Ultimate Ambition improved - this is truly the strongest way to end an AC routine but requires a tad bit of set-up.
Remember your spectators perceive magic in terms of power. ACR claims the magic power to bring a card to the top (or any location in the deck).
Daryl's Ultimate ambition seems to be the only in your list that stays within the same power. Therefore it will be better perceived as the others. Ending with card to wallet is a little bit like ending coins across making the last coin vanish.... different effect, different power. Unless.... you place a wallet on top of the deck or find a motivation why the card gets inside the wallet.
I'm not really sure which move to recommend since I don't know how you're trying to structure your routine or what your goal is for the ACR presentationally. Personally, I've never really seen the appeal of using a card to impossible location as a closer for the ACR since it seems like a totally different effect (ie. the card is traveling invisibly to somewhere impossible rather than coming to the top, which is what it's been doing for at least several phases thus far), but it's certainly possible that I just haven't seen a good presentation of it yet. As such, I usually end with the Braue pop-up move since it looks completely fair and "move"-free, but something else might work better with your presentation. I'd recommend trying out at least several of the alternatives you mention in front of real spectators and see what seems to work the best (or whichever you like the most in actual performance). Hope that helps somewhat!

[quote]
On 2004-05-18 22:13, Paul Chosse wrote:
There are no best endings for the Ambitious Card. It is a plot with no ending. No matter what you do, the spectator knows what is going to happen. This is a puzzle, not a magic trick, as it is usually seen. It appeals to magicians, and it puzzles laymen, but it is certainly not a good magical effect. You make the card rise, then you do it again, then you do it again, then you do it more imposssibly, then you do it with a bend, then you do it to a shoe, then you're done - ho, hum! The AC is a challenge effect, and it shows how clever you can be, but it certainly has no plot - think about that! By the way, there are solutions, I've seen some. They're not in print, and I hope they never are, but there are solutions...

Best, PSC
[/quote]

With all due respect, I completely disagree; I think this can be one of the most magical effects possible when performed well. Granted, many people don't perform it well (I think), and as a result the magic becomes trivialized and the whole routine just becomes a mere puzzle for the audience. At a higher level though, the ambitious framework allows you to clearly appear to do the impossible without any "moves," and then repeat it in an even more fair, open manner to prove to them that you really are doing "real" magic. Basically, by virtue of the effect being repeatable you have the opportunity to apparently prove that you are doing something amazing without using any trickery or sleight of hand at all - what could be more magical than that? If you still don't think it's magical to laymen, I'd suggest you go and re-watch the original Blaine specials. I still remember when they first came out, and one of the routines that lay people talked about a lot was his ACR.

As for there being no innate plot or ending to the ACR, I think that could be said of just about any effect. Any one trick or routine on its own is just a series of moves - it's up to the performer to create a justification for his audience to watch his/her tricks and effects in the first place by adding patter, plot, etc. to the effect. I think the ACR just requires a little more effort in this regard than most other tricks since it tends to have a looser framework and structure.
I totally agree with Essie. Whether ACR has a plot or not only depends on the performer. The challenge is one way of presenting it. But there are tons of others. I like to present it as a piece of 'real magic'. Structuring ACR well with canceling methods and so on, allows to make it a very deceptive routine.
I like to do my ACR with the popup move, Wow with rubberband (as ways to prevent me from switching) to bring the card on top while facing up, and card to mouth as the volunteer pushes the "card" into the deck. This will bring laughter at the atmosphere relaxes. That's when I do card to envelope in wallet or card to impossible location--merging with a bill to lemon plot. I've performed ACR as a bill to lemon effect of having one spectator hold onto a package in the very beginning as I perform the ACR routine. Towards the end, I go either that everything they saw never existed as it was in the package all along or something along the lines of that
And just to clarify things, I do the ending in that order. From experience, a lot of people enjoy those endings so why not put them all together? I try to create the ACR routine like a roller coaster and have the card to mouth part as a "downhill" part of the ride. Then I proceed to end with a card to wallet or card in a package that was given to another spectator before the ACR routine (Bill in Lemon idea). Lastly, I sign "To" in front of the spectator's signature in the card, and "From Dave" and date it (Jeff McBride idea) to be given to the spectator as a gift.
I liked the pop up move but now I have high flyer from Peter Eggink.
I think that the ending should emphasize the effect, the whole routine. Non-sequitur endings can be strong, and work well, but I think, even with them there should be some aspect that, somehow, ties in to/emphasizes the over all routine, in some way.

Basically, the finally should not make them forget the rest of the routine. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but the Ambitious Card doesn't really work for that. Especially considering the amount of work and thought most put into the routine before the finale.
Not that any of this is original thinking.

So, in the end, IMHO, and that of many others I imagine, something like card to wallet, etc, takes away from both your ambitious card routine and your card to wallet, where as something like a more impossible ambitious phase, or something that retroactively makes the entire routine more impossible, like an omni-deck, work much better as a finale.
I normally don't like using gimmicks with cards, but when I saw WOW 2.0, I bought it specifically so that I can use it for the ending of an ACR. As some of you said, ACR is more of a puzzling effect rather than a magic trick, but when you end it with the WOW 2.0 gimmick it turns it into an impossible magic effect.
I got wow too
but I rarely use it, but considering what you said, I might give it a try
I am not sure if this is the most correct topic to ask this, but I am trying to find a way to link the "card to mouth" sequence with the "bent card" sequence in my AC routine. Due to the nature of my routine, I really need to perform them in this order. Card to mouth and then Bent card. But I do not want to do it like Oz Pearlman does it on his Born to Perform video, because I do not like to turn over the top card. The way I thought about it is to control it again second from the top with a riffle shuffle, but it makes little sense to reshuffle the card in the middle of the routine. Therefore I await your suggestions.

Thank you in advance.
[quote]
On 2011-08-09 07:25, Aelumag wrote:
I am not sure if this is the most correct topic to ask this, but I am trying to find a way to link the "card to mouth" sequence with the "bent card" sequence in my AC routine. Due to the nature of my routine, I really need to perform them in this order. Card to mouth and then Bent card. But I do not want to do it like Oz Pearlman does it on his Born to Perform video, because I do not like to turn over the top card. The way I thought about it is to control it again second from the top with a riffle shuffle, but it makes little sense to reshuffle the card in the middle of the routine. Therefore I await your suggestions.

Thank you in advance.
[/quote]

I don't see problem turning over the card, as long as ur spectators don't see it.
well, you can do a tilt in between two of them.

or
use a DB, which I thick is unnessary, and killed the whole impromptu, non-gimmick ACR.
"This is a puzzle, not a magic trick, as it is usually seen. It appeals to magicians, and it puzzles laymen, but it is certainly not a good magical effect. You make the card rise, then you do it again, then you do it again, then you do it more imposssibly, then you do it with a bend, then you do it to a shoe, then you're done - ho, hum! "

it's not at all clear to me how this "clearly" renders it a puzzle, and not "magical."
Interesting; guess I've been making a mistake doing my ACR all these decades. What "fools" me is that I have never, ever, gotten "it's a puzzle" reaction. As a matter of fact, jaws always drop when I do it, otherwise - why in the world would I do it when I know thousands of other card effects? Could it be, is it possible that, maybe, [i]presentation[/i]has something, perhaps a little bit, to do with it?
This last poster might be onto something.
"I end by explaining that the cards ambition can extend to its desire to just rebel against the rest of the deck."

I don't know; I find that the more ambitious cards are typically fairly conservative and rule-bound. They have been among the least likely to rebel against the rest of the deck -- at least so long as the existing structure and order allows them to pursue their ambitions, reasonably unimpeded. It is a thin line, too, between ambition and greed. Once an audience doesn't like a card, they lose all emotional investment in the narrative, virtually no matter how compelling it is to have ascended to the top of the deck following a flawless tilt insertion.
I agree it is better to get a link to the final effect (why would an ambitions card suddenly decide to hop to your mouth, etc.)
It makes sense that the card goes up, so if you are going to do card to location, ceiling makes sense.
Also what about, for those using card to box, placing the box on the top of the deck to "catch" the card? this would make sense of the location, making the two effects link better?
As for airtight, I'm afraid I don't know that one, sounds clever - but if it's card to balloon, could it be done with a helium balloon? That would be an awesome closer..
I end it with two signatures joining each other on one card, one on the back one on the front.
This is also nice to do for couples.
I met this girl when filming magic at a night club, and she remembered me from a few years before in another club. She pulled the double signature card from her wallet, she had kept it for years. I did it for her and her sister, they were identical twins.
[quote]
On 2011-08-05 14:32, metaljohn wrote:
As some of you said, ACR is more of a puzzling effect rather than a magic trick, but when you end it with the WOW 2.0 gimmick it turns it into an impossible magic effect.
[/quote]

I beg to differ. When you end it with the WOW gimmick it turns it into.....a trick with a plastic....uh...ummm...what exactly is that thing? And can I play with it please?

Think about it. Or not! Your choice.

Cheers.
Message: Posted by: MG Entertainments (Jan 16, 2013 05:35PM)
I use David stones Cell as my finally.

I have used some of the above ideas in the past.

I start off with Mark Mason stuck up Monte, with a signed card, I then move onto the ACR, using a mixture of Oz Pearlman, Daryl, and along the lines of the David regal type story, and the card ends up folded up in the back of a phone battery compartment, that the spectator has been holding or lying on the table from the very beginning of the first phase of the routine.

The funniest part is people go absolutely wild, and keep referring to the card as a dog, proving they are hooked on the story line.

David regal routine, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH0SUHT1qsI

Kind regards

Mark
Loved watching David (Regal) do the ACR, then - surprise - someone else came on doing an ACR! Interesting.
One of the seven basic effects of magic is transposition or teleportation. That's what Ambitious Card is, a transposition of a card from the middle of the deck to the top. It's not a puzzle unless you simply want to define all magic effects as puzzles because the are "something to be figured out."

David Regal is great!

Dennis Loomis
[quote]
On 2011-09-20 05:24, J.Warrens wrote:
When you end it with the WOW gimmick it turns it into.....a trick with a plastic....uh...ummm...what exactly is that thing? And can I play with it please?
[/quote]
Indeed! To end an ACR (what CAN be a wonderful piece of magic in the right hands)with a "toy" that you can buy on e-Bay for 2$ is a shame.
I even try to avoid EVERY trick that the dealers throw on the (open) market, how good it may be.
It kills all the creativity of many magicians.
[quote]
On 2013-01-17 05:29, Waterloophai wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-09-20 05:24, J.Warrens wrote:
When you end it with the WOW gimmick it turns it into.....a trick with a plastic....uh...ummm...what exactly is that thing? And can I play with it please?
[/quote]
Indeed! To end an ACR (what CAN be a wonderful piece of magic in the right hands)with a "toy" that you can buy on e-Bay for 2$ is a shame.
I even try to avoid EVERY trick that the dealers throw on the (open) market, how good it may be.
It kills all the creativity of many magicians.
[/quote]
Playing card is a toy. it is quite obvious to layman.
The unexpected is the best ending, the best jokes have unexpected punch lines, the best movies have unexpected endings etc etc

MAGIC is no different, the fact that card to wallet worked for a while means only one thing, more magicians used that ending and more people saw it, hence it wont be truly unexpected.

that's why if you must do card to wallet, do card to sealed envelope in wallet, at least that is less common then just card to wallet.

On the DVD series Visions of Wonder with Tommy Wonder (I do not remember if its dvd 1, 2 or 3) Tommy Does the ACR routine, the ending is the card "folded" and in a "ring box" (was displayed on table from start to end of routine).

During the explanation part, Max Maven spoke about how amazed he was on how the audience volantariy all got up and gave him a standing ovation, what follows is a great interview worth watching.

For those who never saw the routine here ya go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrApPgoWZqE

Please note, 144,000+ views 655 thumbs up 9 thumbs down (thumbs down either by someone clicking it by mistake or a jealous magician)

The problem is we are creatures of habit, we have all kinds of excuses why what we are comfortable now is really the best way to do things, and while we lie and BS ourselves the new guys comes, and makes our work look very dated.
For a while I was really enjoying finishing an ACR through a false ending, then incorporating the signed card into my 3 card monte as a follow-up kicker. I've been toying around with the "Clarity Box" concept though - a very nicely put together utility device and so far it is slaying audiences.
Of the ones you listed I would say card to wallet (especially if you are using a fire wallet).

The ending I have been using lately is after a signed ambitious card I have a nother card signed and then the signature jumps from card to card until both signatures end up being on the selected card (sort of an anniversary waltz) .
I have recently revised my ambitious routine after having seen Michael Close's "Trick that fooled Houdini" version from his Devious dvd's.

I loved the entertaining story line and have come up with something similar but with a different angle about a meeting between these two legends,

I have thought for a long time that David Jade's "Pixel" would be a great ending but could never work out how to incorporate it with the ambitious card in a way that makes sense.

Thanks to Mr Close's inspiration I now have a perfectly logical reason to use Pixel as my final fourth phase.

Regards

In Our Magic, the only time that mixing effects is recommended is when one effect is an Effect of Repetition which then is followed by an Effect of Surprise. The meaning of "effect" in M&D is what sort of theatrical effect that the trick involves. Using Fitzkee's idea that effect is the Law of Nature being broken, both the Ambitious Card and the Card to Envelope are effects of magical transit.

This is my routine:

[youtube]WadTjR1WwyI?list=UUCGHDgQyGBPOQi-F_BKA3Fg[/youtube]
I use the pop up move, but I can also recomend Mr. Wonder's card to box.
Card to sealed cardbox, for every 500 times magicians do the card to wallet 1 guy does card to sealed box, if you must do wallet do into sealed envelope
I like your style, Pop. Really nice work
I like to make the card disappear somehow, I either palm the card or use some other method to make it vanish.
In a parlor setting, I grab a different colored deck and have the card rise to the top.
I usually have them sign the back after I do my last ac routine, then move into a torn and restored card and then they get to keep the card that would not die
I like to do gutsy things - I'll often steal card from top with palm - and then produce it,
but I'm choosing my production location right then and there:
- her purse
- someone's ear
- a zipper
- a glass
- etc

I like this approach - it makes the show exciting for me -
risk= excitement

Martini
It can also create an off the cuff tension
Definitely some great insights into the Ambitious Card Routine - it should noted that the
'magical experience' is a relative emotional and individual experience - it's imperative,
if seeking to be logical, that we often project our experiences and style of thinking
on to the audience - this can be misleading.

Therefore, in my opinion, the posts that emphasize the importance of presentation and the fact
that MANY audiences LOVE! their version of the ACR, suggests that we need to keep
an open mind as to what constitutes a great Ambitious Card Routine.

Martini