(Close Window)
Topic: Cos Play fees ?
While the idea of calling around to your local magicians to determine what they charge (in order to set your own fees) might be an old, yet workable,idea, working a brand new venue creates it's own set of problems. So...

How do I determine what to charge for a contract with a Cos Play festival, where we work two 1/2 hour shows per day, over two days? Any thoughts?

And, if you don't want to discuss numbers publicly, please PM me. We have an "in", but they want pricing first, and I have no idea what to ask for...
As you do not indicate what type of show you are offering (is it a stand-up ESP show?) a simple start with "what have you budgeted" for the shows could be a starting point. Pricing will be all over the place. I have also seen static illusions taken in and folks were charged to participate with it and take a photo. ie. a person sitting on a Harry Potter broom which made them look like they were flying.

If you have an "in" does the "in" know your regular rates? Then work with them.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
In the end the answer is much more simple than you are making it. What is "your time worth"?

I mean really that is the only answer here. If they can not afford you then life goes on. But it is about your time and effort. If you are worried you may not get the gig and need the gig then that is a thing.

But ALL pricing is about you and what you need to do the show.
I agree with all that has been said. Pricing is one of the questions I am most-asked-about primarily because many performers have different views and approaches toward it. Many fear it and many others simply don't have a structured approach.

While Danny is right about what your time and value is worth, the problem is many when considering this question will think things like "I've been doing this 20 years, I do this full-time, my wife is part of the show, I have a crew of 2, and I feel I should be getting (just as an example) $2,500 per show. Just because you think or feel this is what you need or should be getting in no way means that what others are willing to pay for you.

Other elements, not about you, come more into play. This is why I often explain in-depth thinking from the customer's perspective - this is what matters most to them, not your belief.

As Blair mentioned there are some variables that definitely come into play. How good or tight is your "in"? Just someone you were introduced to or someone that knows you well, including your experience, value, pricing? Do they understand your type of performance and is it being compared to other variety acts? Have you established your value to them before getting to the point ofdiscussing pricing? So many things come into play.

More than likely they have an amount or range that is acceptable or normal to them they are comfortable paying. When asking your pricing they are simply wantig to see if you are in their budget or ballpark, before determining other factors or continuing on in discussions?

I has been my experience when they say a 30-minute show this is not on a mainstage or feature stage. It may be a smaller or less primary area performance. I also know they are looking for a price for the run or block of shows, meaning they expect a deal from your normal pricing. So let's say you've established your normal pricing is $750. For 4 shows that would be $3,000. So they would more than likely be expecting a discounted rate of perhaps $2,000 ($500 per show) or perhaps $2,400 for the run ($600 per show.)

They key is to establish your pricing BEFORE discussing you rate for this.

If they do not know you or any value, you will simply be compared to other things they may have had in the past in these performance spots such as magicians, jugglers, or other variety acts.

These are just some basics as I get more in-depth into the pricing issues because you have to not think just from your perspective. There can also be other things that come into play as well.

Also, not knowing your business model it is hard to answer this or offer much more advice. How do you make your money? Is it all front-end rate, or is there more on the back? So many other things to consider. What does the market bear? You can say whatever you want as far as price, but if the event, venue or performance market (not your geographic market) can't bear it, you won't even likely be a consideration.
If you watch any good sales pitch it is all about establishing value. As a matter of fact it is why you don't find Kirby in stores. They demonstrate to establish value.

If you have not established value prior to giving price you have a major uphill climb.
Exactly
So how did this turn out?