(Close Window)
Topic: Metal!⁷
Calling all headbangers!
This is the Metal Thread!
A place for all lovers of heavy metal music.
Anything goes - New Wave British, west coast thrash, Death, Doom, Sludge, Norwegian Church Burning Black Metal, Post Metal.
From Posessed to Pelican,
From Venom to Dark Throne
From Celtic Frost to Dying Fetus
This is...
The Metal Thread
Anyone like the new Judas Priest album?
I didn't expect much but it sounds great.
Hmmm...
Ronnie James Dio?
For the love of G*d , Ozzy Osbourne?!
The reality TV show guy?
Yes! The Reality show guy! Some say his band Black Sabbath invented heavy metal.
Ok let's keep it going. Ahem.. ahhhh...
Dokken? Twisted Sister? Helix?
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Jun 28, 2019 09:19AM)
Geeze, I was thinking of posting some links to BabyMetal and (in humor maybe a reference to Yoko Ono or the Cookie Monster)
Henry Rollins, Slayer? .... sound of crickets
"That was a great time,
the summer of '71!
I can't remember it,..
but I'll never forget it."
Lemmy Kilmister

Motörhead!
,...i didn't know there were any other metal bands...?

"If you’re going to be a !@#$*ing rock star, go be one!
People don’t want to see the guy next door on stage;
they want to see a being from another planet.”
Lemmy

"It seems that our brave new world
is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated,
than it ever was when I was young.”
Lemmy

And man,
could he play bass.....
Detroit Metal City.

(OK, they don't really exist, but they are SO cool!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CiG-VbtNKk
[quote]On Jun 28, 2019, gallagher wrote:
"That was a great time,
the summer of '71!
I can't remember it,..
but I'll never forget it."
Lemmy Kilmister

Motörhead!
,...i didn't know there were any other metal bands...?

"If you’re going to be a !@#$*ing rock star, go be one!
People don’t want to see the guy next door on stage;
they want to see a being from another planet.”
Lemmy

"It seems that our brave new world
is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated,
than it ever was when I was young.”
Lemmy

And man,
could he play bass..... [/quote]

Yes he could! Lemmy rules!
I can feel the secret metal loving members lurking. Come on fellas, don't be shy.

I love Holy Diver by Dio. There, I said it.
My favorites hail mostly from the 1960s and ’70s, but there are a few exceptions:

Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
Uriah Heep
Iron Butterfly
Steppenwolf
Led Zeppelin
Alice Cooper
The Pretty Things
The Yardbirds
AC/DC
Metallica
Twisted Sister
Guns N’ Roses
Def Leppard

I also really like the track Bring Me To Life by Evanescence:

[youtube]3YxaaGgTQYM[/youtube]
Love Sabbath.
I think Master of Reality is my favourite album. It often gets credit for starting the Doom subgenre.
Territory by Sepultura.

Heavvvvy
Magicfish, I did a bit of research because I hadn’t kept up with any new metal bands for a number of years. Glad to say the genre is still alive and well!

Slipknot - Unsainted

[youtube]VpATBBRajP8[/youtube]

Lamb of God - Ruin

[youtube]iFm9v0wvEnw[/youtube]

Gojira - Stranded

[youtube]FNdC_3LR2AI[/youtube]

FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE - Sugar

[youtube]Xmq3iyW02b8[/youtube]

Arch Enemy - Under Black Flags We March

[youtube]Yw2W94PvYgQ[/youtube]
For a few years, I was the lone lead guitarist in a local “dual tribute” band covering the catalogs of both Black Sabbath (Ozzy and Dio eras) and Ritchie Blackmore’s Rainbow (just the Dio era).

We played War Pigs, Heaven & Hell, Stargazer, Gates of Babylon, etc.

Would love to launch a Deep Purple tribute band, covering both Ian Gillan and David Coverdale eras. Hardest part? Finding a capable singer! (Not too many can do justice to “Child in Time.”)

Also love Uriah Heep, who are still touring today — with Judas Priest, as I speak. So are magisterial elder axemen Robin Trower and Martin Barre (former longtime guitarist extraordinaire of the ever-epic Jethro Tull).
Wow! Awesome to have you contributing to this thread Karnak.
Most of you folks know I played with Peter Frampton, doubling on keyboards and guitar. And I can tell you, there’s nothing like cranking up your guitar volume through a stack of Marshall amps!

But I was also a founding member of Frehley’s Comet, which is the closest I ever came to performing heavy metal. (And also the loudest band I ever played with). Although I only played keyboards in that line-up, Ace Frehley and Ritchie Scarlett’s guitars were so loud that people in the front rows of our audiences used to gesture for me to raise the volume of my keyboards … which was impossible, since my volume was already maxed out.

One thing I’ll never forget is that whenever Ace tuned his guitar strings, even at private rehearsals or in the studio, he did so with the volume all the way up!

Hey Karnak, if I was a few years younger I would join you in a Deep Purple tribute. One of my favorite bands of all time! How can you beat Ritchie Blackmore’s exciting guitar solos or Ian Pace’s superb drumming?

And you’re right about the vocals. There’s never been another Ian Gillan. A vocalist friend go mine, Joe Lynn Turner (who worked with Blackmore in the band Rainbow), did a stint with Deep Purple but I doubt if he would have been able to reach the high notes required for Child in Time.

Great memories!
In keeping with this heavy metal thread:

Here I am, in purple shirt, performing Soundgarden’s “Black Hole Sun” with a bunch of fellow old farts (except for our drummer, Shawn Fichter).

Peter’s guitar is in the center, while the two rhythm guitars (Gordon Kennedy and me) are panned left and right. John Regan is on bass.

[youtube]nL40Ak5QV6I[/youtube]
Very cool Arthur!
Heavy-Metal is just Halloween all year; dress in black-rags and act scary.
The fashions (not followed by all metal bands) are mere window dressing. What counts is the talent, which in metal can be considerable even if it doesn’t happen to be your particular cup of tea, and of course the aesthetic quality of the music itself. (Duh.)

Many musical genres are associated with distinctive attire. Are you equally dismissive of classical musicians for performing in formal evening wear? Jazz and blues folks for their shades and fedoras? Rap or hip-hop artists for their unique garb? Are country artists to you just cowboy movie rejects?

Sheesh.
Yes to all of the above. Trappings.
So. Just indiscriminately dismissive, on principle. Gotcha.
Generally dismissive of silliness in the guise of seriousness. I do like some heavy though. Just can't watch them perform without giggling.
[quote]On Jul 9, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Heavy-Metal is just Halloween all year; dress in black-rags and act scary. [/quote]
Pantera dressed in black rags? Do tell!
[quote]On Jul 10, 2019, magicfish wrote:
[quote]On Jul 9, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Heavy-Metal is just Halloween all year; dress in black-rags and act scary. [/quote]
Pantera dressed in black rags? Do tell! [/quote]

Google image-search agrees. Scary!!
I suspect my tastes in heavy are merely hard-rock, not quite metal.

Sabbath (paranoid album)
Soundgarden
Monster Magnet
AC/DC
The Cult
Sabbath is absolutely metal.
Probably just one of mother nature's curious mistakes.
Sabbath is absolutely metal. [/quote]

Maybe, but I like Planet Caravan.
King Arthur’s sword Excalibur was absolutely heavy metal in rock, for those who know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h7E5rtnFH4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0yYxOV-bRU
[quote]On Jul 10, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Sabbath is absolutely metal. [/quote]

Maybe, but I like Planet Caravan. [/quote]
No maybe about it. Planet Caravan is very cool and is definitely metal.
Heavy Metal is a Medieval, Dark Age, Celtic sort of thing.

Grave Diggers album Excalibur is all about King Arthur's mythology.

"Pendragon" is about Uther Pendragon, father of Arthur.
"Excalibur" is about the powerful sword handled by Arthur.
"The Round Table (Forever)" deals with the principles of the Knights of the Round Table.
"Morgane Le Fay" is about the witch Morgane.
"The Spell" is about the enchantment that Nimue used on Merlin to gain his powers, after a promise of sex and love.
"Tristan's Fate" is about the tragic history of Tristan and Isolde. Tristan here is a knight of the round table. (In some tales, he's not even connected to Arthur)
"Lancelot" is about the love of Lancelot (Arthur's knight) for Guinevere (Arthur's wife).
"Mordred's Song" is about the treachery of Mordred.
"The Final War" is about the last battle of Arthur and Mordred. Arthur ends mortally wounded.
"Emerald Eyes" is Arthur's last words to Guinevere.
"Avalon" is about the fantastic island that Arthur went, where he died.
"Parcival" is about the knight Parcival and his quest for the Holy Grail.
For those who want to hear tales from events in military history, check out Sabaton.
I'm old enough to remember when "heavy metal" basically (originally) meant the triumvirate of Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Led Zeppelin.

Uriah Heep, too. Then came Judas Priest, Scorpions, Rainbow, Whitesnake, Dio, solo Ozzy. Then Iron Maiden, pop-friendly "hair" metal, glam, etc.

Some of Cream and Hendrix might be considered early proto-metal.

Although mostly bluesy in a dark and heavy (often almost psychedelic) way, Robin Trower also comes pretty close to metal at times.

Later metal got much darker and faster (speed metal, death metal, thrash, etc.), but to my ears much less melodic.

I prefer the classics.

(Remember when Jethro Tull beat out Metallica and won the Grammy for 1989's "Best Heavy Metal Performance"?)
Are you old enough to remember the name of Jimmy Page's legendary guitar?

https://www.apnews.com/afc2078aaf894b08ba7d1e184fead7af
His old Telecaster, dubbed Excalibur? Otherwise known as the Dragon? Sure.

Fender now sells a Jimmy Page Signature guitar which is a copy of it: https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/telecaster/jimmy-page-telecaster/0146230721.html

Kinda reminiscent of the trippy day-glo custom-painted Gibson SG that Clapton played while in Cream, which was dubbed "the Fool": http://www.edroman.com/guitars/gibson/fool.htm
Jimmy Page owns the beautiful San Graal tapestries which depict scenes from the legend of King Arthur and the quest for the Holy Grail. Said to be the most significant tapestry series woven in the nineteenth century. He loaned them to the Tate recently. Jimmy Page retreated in 1970 to a stone cottage in Wales, enter the dragon, called Bron-Yr-Aur, with no power or running water. Legend has it King Arthur fought his last battle nearby. Etcetera.

There is a mountain by there and they say spending a night there either drives you insane or to commit suicide or to become a poet or something like that. Some say a stairway to heaven.
Bron-Yr-Aur also features in the titles of a couple of Zeppelin tunes, naturally.

As I recall, Page also used to own Aleister Crowley's old house on Loch Ness, known as Boleskine.

Black Sabbath obviously utilized a lot of occult imagery and mystical themes. (And then there's solo Ozzy's classic song "Mr Crowley").

Ritchie Blackmore (of Deep Purple and Rainbow) has a longstanding fondness for seances, and tells stories about spirits (and not just the liquid kind!) interfering with recording sessions. The lyrics to the Rainbow song "Man On the Silver Mountain" read like a therugic invocation.

Metal has a long association with metaphysics and the supernatural.

On another note -- that of Arthur and the Grail -- there is the decidedly non-metal, keyboard-centric Rick Wakeman (from Yes) epic solo album "The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table."
I find no harm in him. He is very open and honest about his interest in the mystical.
I find no harm in any of the bands and individuals I mentioned.

For most, whatever interest they have in such things seems genuine.

For some, there may also be a greater or lesser degree of calculatedly using mystical trappings as evocative window dressing in order to help sell more records. In other words, as a marketing ploy.

Black Sabbath was born when its members pondered a cinema marquee advertising a Boris Karloff horror film, and wondered why it was that people were willing to pay good money in order to be frightened. Thus was born their spooky subgenre of rock music.
[quote]On Jul 13, 2019, karnak wrote:
Bron-Yr-Aur also features in the titles of a couple of Zeppelin tunes, naturally.

As I recall, Page also used to own Aleister Crowley's old house on Loch Ness, known as Boleskine.

Black Sabbath obviously utilized a lot of occult imagery and mystical themes. (And then there's solo Ozzy's classic song "Mr Crowley").

Ritchie Blackmore (of Deep Purple and Rainbow) has a longstanding fondness for seances, and tells stories about spirits (and not just the liquid kind!) interfering with recording sessions. The lyrics to the Rainbow song "Man On the Silver Mountain" read like a therugic invocation.

Metal has a long association with metaphysics and the supernatural.

On another note -- that of Arthur and the Grail -- there is the decidedly non-metal, keyboard-centric Rick Wakeman (from Yes) epic solo album "The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table." [/quote]
Awesome info my friend.
Man on the Silver Mountain rocks!
[quote]On Jul 13, 2019, magicfish wrote:
Awesome info my friend.
Man on the Silver Mountain rocks! [/quote]

It does indeed. When I had my Sabbath/Rainbow tribute band, playing Man on the Silver Mountain always went over well, as did Stargazer and Gates of Babylon. For Sabbath, we opened with War Pigs and closed with Heaven and Hell. That set was bookended by epic-length showcases.
I agree that a rumored interest in the occult could be a useful marketing strategy, but some people take it very seriously. For example, whenever Joe Lynn Turner and I hung out and imbibed too much, if the topic of Rainbow came up, he would go on and on about how freaked out he felt about Ritchie Blackmore’s dabbling in black magic.

Jimmy Page’s immersion in the “dark arts” freaked Peter Frampton out, too. The latter once confided in me told that he blames Jimmy for the car accident he had for which part of his upper arm muscle had to be removed. Peter believes that Jimmy cast a revenge spell on him after finding out that he (Peter) had fooled around with Jimmy’s girlfriend.
Hey Karnak, you mentioned Ian Anderson’s great band. Around 1972, I was playing in a cover band with a steady club gig. One night, in-between songs, a guy came up to the bandstand and kept asking us to play "Methrofill." "What's that?" we asked. "Play Methrofill." Our band members quizzed him a little more, but just couldn't figure out what he meant by "Methrofill."

A while later, the band launched into our rendition of "Locomotive Breath.” Which caused the guy to run up to us, smiling and obviously very pleased, yelling "Methrofill." It turned out what he meant was "Jethro Tull."
[quote]On Jul 13, 2019, arthur stead wrote:
... whenever Joe Lynn Turner and I hung out and imbibed too much, if the topic of Rainbow came up, he would go on and on about how freaked out he felt about Ritchie Blackmore’s dabbling in black magic.[/quote]

Blackmore’s interest in such things is no doubt genuine, but he was also a notorious practical joker. There are stories of him rigging rocking chairs to rock spookily by themselves in band members’ hotel or castle rooms, etc., just to scare them after an evening regaling them with ghost stories. Freaked out Rainbow band members are not uncommon for such reasons.

[quote]Jimmy Page’s immersion in the “dark arts” freaked Peter Frampton out, too. The latter once confided in me told that he blames Jimmy for the car accident he had for which part of his upper arm muscle had to be removed. Peter believes that Jimmy cast a revenge spell on him after finding out that he (Peter) had fooled around with Jimmy’s girlfriend. [/quote]

When I was in high school in the 1970s, I had a bit of a reputation for being interested in occult matters (I read a lot of kabbalistic stuff back then). One kid who used to bully me a bit accidentally fell down the school’s stairs one day and broke a leg. He became convinced that I must have cast a spell on him which caused his accident, and so he kept a very deferential demeanor and a respectable safe distance from me henceforth, even though I had absolutely done nothing of the kind (nor even suggested or hinted that I had done so).

These kinds of things can just sort of perpetuate themselves, even when there’s nothing to them.
A while later, the band launched into our rendition of "Locomotive Breath.” Which caused the guy to run up to us, smiling and obviously very pleased, yelling "Methrofill." It turned out what he meant was "Jethro Tull." [/quote]

Same sort of thing happens with misheard/misunderstood song lyrics. My brother long thought “Smoke On the Water” was “Slow Comin’ Water.” Ozzy famously thought Hendrix’s line “‘Scuse me, while I kiss the sky” was “‘Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.”

Tull is a favorite band of mine. They were the first band I ever saw live in concert, and Ian Anderson’s flamboyant, exuberantly expressive frontman stage presence floored and spoiled me (all other frontmen subsequently seemed tame by comparison, without all that leaping about and wild yet precise gesturing). Martin Barre is a very tasteful, interesting and highly underrated guitarist, too.

Ritchie Blackmore is on record as ranking Tull as a favorite band, and Ian Anderson as being a genius. High praise indeed from a guy who doesn’t dole out such praise very often.
Yes, I used to trip out to Jethro Tull in the late 1960s and early ‘70s. Never got to see them live. But whenever I met someone who had, I’d make them describe the band’s performances and Anderson’s onstage antics to me in detail.

P.S. Back then I had my own dabblings with the occult … sometimes with devastating results!
Yes, I used to trip out to Jethro Tull in the late 1960s and early ‘70s. Never got to see them live. But whenever I met someone who had, I’d make them describe the band’s performances and Anderson’s onstage antics to me in detail.[/quote]

Tull recorded the Aqualung LP in a studio where Zeppelin was also recoding an album at the same time. Page peeked in while Martin Barre was recording his guitar solo for the title track, a solo which in its own way is as iconic and delicious as Page’s solo in Stairway to Heaven.

[quote]P.S. Back then I had my own dabblings with the occult … sometimes with devastating results! [/quote]

My occult thriller novel, referenced in my “signature” at the bottom of each of my posts, is mostly imaginary but also contains a few autobiographical tidbits.
Karnak and Arthur are two of my heroes. Nuff said.

But you want black, dark, even perhaps blasphemous?

Batushka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgfa5UlZAL8
The Excalibur legend is a story of transition from the Dark to the Light ages, from the Pagan to the Christian era. So there is this great conflict and drama going on at this time and place. Likewise, we have this on-going battle between light and heavy music. As above so below, one cannot have heavy without light. Come on the good guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JNlOTccdck
[quote]On Jul 14, 2019, tommy wrote:
... from the Dark to the Light ages, from the Pagan to the Christian era[/quote]

For their part, I suspect that Pagans might not concur with that characterization of their age/era!

[quote]Likewise, we have this on-going battle between light and heavy music. As above so below, one cannot have heavy without light[/quote]

Light and heavy, yin and yang, neither inherently "good" or "bad" in themselves. Polar opposites, but complementary rather than contradictory. Both are necessary, like the twin poles of battery -- one we call "positive" (+) and the other "negative" (-), though no moral value judgment is thereby actually implied.
Is heavy metal pure and virtuous like the Virgin Mary, or a wicked temptress like Eve?
[quote]On Jul 14, 2019, tommy wrote:
Is heavy metal pure and virtuous like the Virgin Mary, or a wicked temptress like Eve? [/quote]

Yes.
From a physics standpoint, noise is indistinguishable from sound.
Or music.
When I joined Frampton’s band in 1980, he owned a 66-acre estate in upstate New York. Massive modern mansion with a state of the art recording studio in the basement. The first time I got there, I was curious as to why the limo driver dropped me a little distance away from the house. But as I walked towards the house, I realized why, when two naked sunbathing girls waved at me from beside the pool!

Before scheduling the band’s full rehearsals, Peter and I regularly worked together at his house, running through all the song arrangements. He had all the needed keyboards available (Hammond B-3 Organ, Yamaha CP-88 Grand Piano, Fender Rhodes Electric Piano, Hohner Clavinet, Moog Prophet 5 Synth, etc.). We also ran through all the guitar parts I would be playing, in particular the open tuning guitar voicings he used for certain songs. And of course the harmonies I would be singing.

One day Peter wanted to explore the extent of his property with his guitar roadie, J.D. As they traipsed through the woods, they came to a clearing where they discovered a large rock formation in the shape of a pentagram. It had obviously been there for several years, and there were clues that it was still in use for who knows what kind of satanic or pagan ritual gatherings.

This made Peter very angry, and he started dislodging some of the rocks and scattering them, breaking the pattern. J.D. tried to prevent him, but Peter was adamant. Call it superstitious, or whatever you want, but I always felt that Peter’s actions may have invoked some sort of curse.
Awesome info my friend.

It does indeed. When I had my Sabbath/Rainbow tribute band, playing Man on the Silver Mountain always went over well, as did Stargazer and Gates of Babylon. For Sabbath, we opened with War Pigs and closed with Heaven and Hell. That set was bookended by epic-length showcases. [/quote]

I hope Iron Man was part of your Sabbath set!

-Alan
I hope Mary and Eve didn’t catch a cold.
[quote]On Jul 15, 2019, Alan M wrote:
I hope Iron Man was part of your Sabbath set!
[/quote]

Of course!
[quote]On Jul 15, 2019, tommy wrote:
I hope Mary and Eve didn’t catch a cold. [/quote]

Not to mention Adam's ex, Lilith.
[quote]On Jul 14, 2019, arthur stead wrote:
One day Peter wanted to explore the extent of his property with his guitar roadie, J.D. As they traipsed through the woods, they came to a clearing where they discovered a large rock formation in the shape of a pentagram. It had obviously been there for several years, and there were clues that it was still in use for who knows what kind of satanic or pagan ritual gatherings.

This made Peter very angry, and he started dislodging some of the rocks and scattering them, breaking the pattern.[/quote]

Rock vs. rock!

(Rock star vs. rocks)
Awesome info my friend.

It does indeed. When I had my Sabbath/Rainbow tribute band, playing Man on the Silver Mountain always went over well, as did Stargazer and Gates of Babylon. For Sabbath, we opened with War Pigs and closed with Heaven and Hell. That set was bookended by epic-length showcases. [/quote]
Awesome set.
I love heavy riffs.
Hey Magicfish (and Karnak),

Just for fun, check out the sample of the song entitled “Pain Killer” from my Cutting Edge CD. It’s track number 18:

http://www.arthurstead.com/Make_it_Cutting_Edge.htm
Very nice, Arthur!

I also liked your track #12, "Arabesque," as I have a taste for exotic "Arabian Nights" scales (like in Rainbow's Stargazer, Gates of Babylon, or Eyes of Fire [which your friend Joe Lynn Turner sang]).

I am particularly fond of the "Byzantine" (Turkish) a.k.a. double harmonic major scale (a Phrygian dominant with a raised 7th), which Blackmore used to call his "snake charmer scale."

On guitar, it goes: E - F - G# - A - B - C - D# - E.
That’s one of my favorite scales, too, Karnak!

I also love some of the Indian raga variations of those types of modes, for example where the last 4 notes are similar to double harmonic major when ascending (B, C, D#, E), but different when descending (E, D, C. B).
[quote]On Jul 16, 2019, arthur stead wrote:
... where the last 4 notes are similar to double harmonic major when ascending (B, C, D#, E), but different when descending (E, D, C. B). [/quote]

Yes, like with melodic minor -- played as a natural minor going down, but with its last two notes altered when going up.
I don't listen to metal much these days. But the one band that still wows me is Dream Theater. I saw them live three weeks ago. One thing I like about them is, that they don't bother you with the usual nonsense that surrounds many metal bands. It's all about the music.

Nice to see that Jethro Tull has fans here, one of my favorite bands of all time.
First concert I ever saw: the iconic Jethro Tull’s 1975 tour: https://images.app.goo.gl/61ivSzwJHWXZsJEG7
A lot of the old heavy metal boys were from my home city Birmingham and the surrounding Black Country. Think Peaky Blinders - a dirty old industrial place. Well, rather it used to be when we had an industry. https://homeofmetal.com/
A brummy eh?
Yes, our joint is in Brummy Gem’s Jewellery Quarter. https://stirlingsbar.co.uk/ Some magicians pass through on their way to Blackpool. The Asylum though could be the place for you, which is just around the bend. https://www.theasylumvenue.co.uk/
[quote]On Jul 16, 2019, tommy wrote:
A lot of the old heavy metal boys were from my home city Birmingham....[/quote]

Yes, the founding members of Black Sabbath were all from Aston, a ward within metro Birmingham.
Aston was a rough area: no bathrooms, outsides toilets etcetera. Fellows from Smokey city slums, working in grimy factories smashing sheet metal into shape, couldn’t really relate to the flower people with their Californian sunshine music. Out of these heavy industry towns came the heavy metal boys - dressed as women.
Some great early pics of Led Zeppelin here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-48746287
Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath's sole guitarist and chief riff-meister) worked in one of those Aston sheet metal factories as a youth. The day before his band was to go on tour, he accidentally chopped off the tips of his two middle fingers on his fretting hand. He thought he'd never play guitar again. Look at him now: Sabbath just won a grammy lifetime achievement award for 50 years of metal.
It goes to show you never can tell. Despite their image, they were down to earth-friendly fellows. The working-class fans had a great relationship with them. One was a pal of my elder brother but for the life of me I can't remember his name, he had a funny nickname.
[quote]On Jul 17, 2019, tommy wrote:
One was a pal of my elder brother but for the life of me I can't remember his name, he had a funny nickname. [/quote]

“Geezer,” perhaps?

Geezer (Terry) Butler is Sabbath’s bass player.

Coincidentally, today (July 17) happens to be Geezer ‘s birthday. He just turned 70 today.
Sorry, it was Trevor Burton I was thinking of, he was an Aston lad.
[quote]On Jul 17, 2019, karnak wrote:
Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath's sole guitarist and chief riff-meister) worked in one of those Aston sheet metal factories as a youth. The day before his band was to go on tour, he accidentally chopped off the tips of his two middle fingers on his fretting hand. He thought he'd never play guitar again. Look at him now: Sabbath just won a grammy lifetime achievement award for 50 years of metal. [/quote]
There is talk of a reunion.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Jul 22, 2019 07:18PM)
Much to look up and listen thanks to the ongoing dialogue here - thanks arthur, karnak, tommy, ... :)
Looks like a science fiction author also listens to metal. He posted this on his blog - apropos? * https://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=8862

* the blogger uses the f word so adult content warning *
"now I have you with me, under my power
our love grows stronger now with every hour
look into my eyes, you will see who I am
my name is lucifer, please take my hand"

-Black Sabbath
Maiden, Sabbath, Queensryche (up to & including Mindcrime, and also the new album), Dio, Fates Warning, Monster Magnet, Priest, (early) Metallica...
[quote]On Jul 10, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
I suspect my tastes in heavy are merely hard-rock, not quite metal.

Sabbath (paranoid album)
Soundgarden
Monster Magnet
AC/DC
The Cult [/quote]

Love me some Monster Magnet. Superjudge is one of my all-time favorite albums, and "Cyclone" from 4-Way Diablo was one of the key songs at my wedding.
[quote]On Jul 23, 2019, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Maiden, Sabbath, Queensryche (up to & including Mindcrime, and also the new album), Dio, Fates Warning, Monster Magnet, Priest, (early) Metallica... [/quote]

DIO!!!!
Canadian Hiker stalked by cougar says Metallica song helped her escape:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/hiker-stalked-by-cougar-says-metallica-song-helped-her-escape/ar-AAFc1Sj?li=BBUPk4T
Well, it's been 13 years. Tool has finally released their new album
Know Your Enemy- Rage Against the Machine.
Great track.
An oldie but goodie … Brings back memories of playing that venue with those types of crowds!

[youtube]n_GFN3a0yj0[/youtube]
I saw them live at SARS stock. They came on second last right before the Stones.
They brought the house down. Best live rock performance I've ever seen.
Must have been great, Magicfish!

I was in the studio with my friend Mutt Lange when they were working on drum sounds for the song “For Those About To Rock”.

[youtube]eyOmH7_1lj8[/youtube]
Goosebumps on that intro
Speaking of intro riffs … this is among my favorites:

[youtube]2UoTINOo0-I[/youtube]
Https://youtu.be/JVN-b_lGO1Y
Place earbuds
Lock door
Sip beverage
Turn up volume
That is all.
Nice! Thanks for posting that.
Lars Ulrich is a machine
Five Finger Death Punch - Wash It All Away

[youtube]l9VFg44H2z8[/youtube]
Speaking of great drummers:

[youtube]HQmmM_qwG4k[/youtube]
Latest headline for Metal fans (9/28/2019):

"Metallica cancels upcoming tour as lead singer James Hetfield enters rehab."
Young girl drummer does Smoke On The Water cover:

[youtube]d33x1HyJZ10[/youtube]
Wow. Amazing.
Https://youtu.be/zguCFjHyVeM
Https://youtu.be/4aGx4gsCV8o
Haha, Stone . . . you've lived in Germany for too long!