(Close Window)
Topic: The Sign by Liam Montier
I spotted this in my email. Very nice application of an old effect by Nick Trost. I've manufactured one (with permission of the Trost estate) based on photographs and emotions called ... wait for it... "Emotions." But the use of zodiac signs is pretty clever.

https://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=TB7639
Sad to see this. Sudo created this effect years ago and had talked on this forum about publishing it a year or two back. There was a snafu with the printing of his cards so it wasn't sold at that point, but it was talked about. Sudo's cards are WAAAY better looking too (though I'm partial as I designed them).
Tis true - though it was nearly 3 years ago that I had you design the cards for this. :)

Where does all the time go?

In fact, I've discussed this effect on more than a few threads over the years at the Café. I'd also shared this idea with Max Maven and Dan Harlan going back as early 2000 - 2001? Somewhere around there.

Here's but one of the threads where I discussed it openly and shared images of my cards - which Last Laugh did a wonderful job of designing. If you scroll down the first page of that thread a little further, you'll also get to see the back designs.

https://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=626479&forum=15&start=0

It was also advertised on my website a few years ago. I have about two dozen sets of these remaining still. The large run I had initially ordered were badly miscut (among other things), and so I was only able to put together roughly 30 or so sets that were serviceable when all was said and done.

But you won't hear me screaming bloody murder or pondering over the curious fact that they chose not to announce this release in "Latest and Greatest"... and it would be far from the first time this has happened to me. The difference between me and most others, is that I am not so closely-guarded with my work and am overly generous in sharing because I have a genuine passion and love for the art and delight in small ideas that make big differences. And yes, that means I sometimes get burned because of it.

But that's ok; I'll never ever run out of creativity. It's no biggie to me. :)
[quote]On Jul 9, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
There was a snafu with the printing of his cards so it wasn't sold at that point, but it was talked about.[/quote]

Just to clarify: I actually did sell a number of these sets through my website. I only pulled it because I wanted to keep the remaining sets for my own personal stock. I planned (and still do!) on re-releasing these cards at some point and just haven't gotten around to it as money is hardly a motivating force in my life. Knowledge and the endless pursuit of perfection is more my cup of tea.

What I [i]didn't[/i] share on this site, was my extra addition which would allow one to do this all night long while table-hopping and have the EXACT same result every single time...

My cards were designed to be multi-purpose and had several other built-in features for those who wanted to use them for a variety of other things as well. For that reason, I wanted them to appear as professionally made and colourful high-quality Zodiac cards that you might [i]actually[/i] find in a new-age shop - which they absolutely do. They are simply gorgeous.
Man, I forgot how nicely those turned out! They really are gorgeous. Liam's cards don't hold a candle...
[quote]On Jul 10, 2019, Sudo Nimh wrote:
What I [i]didn't[/i] share on this site, was my extra addition which would allow one to do this all night long while table-hopping and have the EXACT same result every single time...

My cards were designed to be multi-purpose and had several other built-in features for those who wanted to use them for a variety of other things as well. For that reason, I wanted them to appear as professionally made and colourful high-quality Zodiac cards that you might [i]actually[/i] find in a new-age shop - which they absolutely do. They are simply gorgeous. [/quote]

As we all realize, we build on the shoulders of the greats. Even the original idea for Nick Trost's "Eight Card Brainwave" was built on the great Ed Marlo's subtlety. We're either building or improving some great effect that we love, or we're building by way of mutual independent discovery OR - as we have seen many times - some are intentionally "borrowing," if you will, from other creators without permission. Since I don't know what the case is with this recent release by Liam Montier, I won't speculate. I just thought it was a great idea to use zodiac cards. I haven't seen that before.

That said, I can't attest to the quality or design but I am intrigued by your further comments regarding additional purposes. If and when you elect to release them, I'd be interested in more information. Please keep us posted on the Café and thanks for your thoughts and comments.
Liam is a nice guy, easily contactable via Facebook...he's not a rip off merchant..
I'm sure that he is a nice guy Iain.

To be honest, I don't want to fight or argue with anyone. I've got too much on my plate emotionally right now in light of some really tragic recent events in my personal life to even be able to handle this (much less anything else), right now. I just received word a few days ago that my mother likely has leukemia. For anyone that knows me even a little, they'll know that her and I have never been close and it's really thrown me for a loop. And that's not the only development that's happened. For this reason, I'm feeling that I'm going to disappear for a very long while. My mind is not well right now and my thinking is definitely not proper. Every time I get close to healing certain things in my life, three new tears open up. It never ends.

I don't like hard feelings with anyone. I just simply can't do this anymore.
[quote]On Jul 12, 2019, Sudo Nimh wrote:
I'm sure that he is a nice guy Iain.

To be honest, I don't want to fight or argue with anyone. I've got too much on my plate emotionally right now in light of some really tragic recent events in my personal life to even be able to handle this (much less anything else), right now. I just received word a few days ago that my mother likely has leukemia. For anyone that knows me even a little, they'll know that her and I have never been close and it's really thrown me for a loop. And that's not the only development that's happened. For this reason, I'm feeling that I'm going to disappear for a very long while. My mind is not well right now and my thinking is definitely not proper. Every time I get close to healing certain things in my life, three new tears open up. It never ends.

I don't like hard feelings with anyone. I just simply can't do this anymore. [/quote]

You're in my prayers, Sudo.