(Close Window)
Topic: NEW David Regal Book: Interpreting Magic
I got an email today from David Regal about his new book, interpreting magic. This appears to be a sequel to approaching magic. It’s release is scheduled for September.
Below is the table of contents.

http://davidregal.com/Contents.pdf
I was just about to post this topic when I saw you had already! It seems like it's going to be a book like Approaching Magic (in other words, an exceptional book!). However, in the contents you'll see a vast list of great magicians that Mr. Regal has had conversations with and recorded in the book. Since the giant Magic Rainbow released last year, this seems to be the best book that will release.

I can't wait to get my hands on it.
Very much looking forward to this being released.
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG <Skips around in a circle clapping like a school girl>
I'll take two please...one for each eye!
I think that he's publishing material from his magic castle acts (unless he's already dome that). He has a trick with a ring, with rocks and a trick that seems to be a card warp (warp drive).

Also, he's explaining one of his marketed tricks, "In Flight'
I should also point out that there's a trick called "My Crush" which could be his card to photo frame, also from one of his castle videos.
Message: Posted by: Aaron Smith Magic (Jul 23, 2019 10:10PM)
I can't wait!
Message: Posted by: Emerson Rodrigues (Jul 24, 2019 01:00AM)
The list of contents looks amazing!
Yes. Just looking at all the "conversation with..." interludes knocks me out. I am definitely picking this up. True; Derek DelGaudio's testimonial is what really sells it to me. I can wait for this but I don't want to.
[quote]On Jul 24, 2019, reese wrote:
Yes. Just looking at all the "conversation with..." interludes knocks me out. I am definitely picking this up. True; Derek DelGaudio's testimonial is what really sells it to me. I can wait for this but I don't want to. [/quote]
What was his testimonial? I’ve attempted to get on David Regal’s newsletter, but no dice.
Derek's testimonial was that his mother was younger then David Regal's mother! Honest!.Just a bit of a gag as he does have an interview in the book so he must like it a bit.
Very nice, looking forward to this release!
Love David's magic! Looking forward to this!
I think Regal could compose a book SOLELY on his Conversations with other magicians and it would be worth 100x what he’s asking for this tome.

His creative process is one of those things that lives so much bigger than the scope of his released material. (Especially because we all already know anything he touches is gold.)

Looking forward to this book IMMENSELY; If just to feel like a fly on the wall as he talks shop with some of the greatest thinkers out there.
[quote]On Jul 24, 2019, Markymark wrote:
Derek's testimonial was that his mother was younger then David Regal's mother! Honest!.Just a bit of a gag as he does have an interview in the book so he must like it a bit. [/quote]
No. The quote Derek gave to David is "My mother is 10 years younger than you" I was already sold on the book. But the laugh I got from reading that sealed the deal.
Wow! I wish he had some accompanying clips like Mike Power’s books. Love David’s stuff, I’m just a visual learner.
Hi All -

The book should be arriving in early September. I don't do pre-orders and I'm on location working on another order of The Carbonaro Effect, so the books will be going through a company for fulfillment. I will be selling direct initially, and my mailing list will be the first to get the book. If you'd like to join my list, go here:

[url=https://davidregal.us12.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=f436f7ee3a21697284f0b4a8e&id=97c79a063f]Click here[/url]

Many thanks for your interest!

David
I had the wrong mailing list link in the above post but it is now FIXED. Sorry about that.
Man, you made my day with this news.
Very, very excited for this one! David’s books are gold.
David’s work is fantastic! Approaching magic is one of my favorite books. Can’t wait to get this one!
How much will this be? I can’t recall seeing the price anywhere?
Https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/blog/the-insider-david-regal

This is a podcast with David Regal. During it he talks about Interpreting Magic.
[quote]On Aug 6, 2019, Prahlad wrote:
Https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/blog/the-insider-david-regal

This is a podcast with David Regal. During it he talks about Interpreting Magic. [/quote]

Thank you for sharing!
[quote]On Jul 26, 2019, DanielChard wrote:
How much will this be? I can’t recall seeing the price anywhere? [/quote]

http://davidregal.com/

75 dollars plus shipping
Cant wait!!!
David's books are required reading - he's my favorite magic creator, and on top of that, he has some wonderful essays and interviews. This is going to be an amazing book!!
Book written by David Regal is some of those cannot to be missed magic publication release, and it is one of the few I will continue to buy after start magic as a serious hobby close to 20 years. Although I may not use the material in previous Approaching Magic, the wealth of knowledge and experience from Mr Regal deserve to read and think about.

I only met Mr Regal back in Magic Con once many moons ago, and looking forward to see him again.

Thank you for such a wonderful release.
I am just finishing a review of Interpreting Magic for Vanish, and it is a GREAT book! Approaching Magic is one of my favorite books and this is every bit as good a book. A must read for Regal and Magic Fans!!!!!
Looks like this is available to purchase from David now! Will this be making its way to the dealers eventually?
[quote]On Aug 16, 2019, mayniac wrote:
Looks like this is available to purchase from David now! Will this be making its way to the dealers eventually? [/quote]

I saw that to. Is this some sort of error on his website? David mentioned no-pre orders and the book isn't due out until September yet the website gives the option to buy now.
Earlier this week he had a splash page that said available to order on 9/16. He might be doing a “soft launch” on his website and then there will be more promo once Murphy’s distributes it (assuming they do).
[quote]On Aug 17, 2019, mayniac wrote:
Earlier this week he had a splash page that said available to order on 9/16. He might be doing a “soft launch” on his website and then there will be more promo once Murphy’s distributes it (assuming they do). [/quote]

Just ordered, hopefully its not a pre-order and ships soon. I'll update if I get a shipment notification.
Oh man, tempted to order.
Definitely on my "must buy list".
Hi All -

I am in Chicago shooting the current (and final) order of [i]The Carbonaro Effect[/i]. It's a crazy sort of schedule and, somehow, my book is coming out at the same time.

The order window was made live briefly so that the fulfillment company I'm using could check things out to make sure information was passing through into their system - some orders came in during that open window, but I did not mean to offer the book for sale yet, as the book will not arrive until the 2nd week of September.

The first official ordering window will go to my mailing list (you can get on it at [url]https://davidregal.us12.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=f436f7ee3a21697284f0b4a8e&id=97c79a063f[/url]) followed by online links here and at www.regalmagic.com.

I will be selling the book directly for a time, and you will understand why when you see the final product, which is lovely. I have an advance copy in my Chicago apt where they put me up, and I sleep with the thing some nights. It turned out well, but the costs involved with going the extra mile were significant... and for that reason I'll be selling the book directly.

The price, while it is sold direct, will be $75 plus s&h, the same retail as [i]Approaching Magic[/i] although this book is slightly larger, and more deluxe in a couple of ways.

The book is a labor of love, and a different sort of book. There is a lot of material... and a lot of other things as well. Thanks in advance for your interest, and I hope you are pleased with the purchase.
Thanks for the update in the midst of your crazy schedule, David! I fully trust that the book will be worth every penny. Really looking forward to getting my hands on this in September.
Dude, I only buy books these days ( at nite I'm drunk and end up buying novelty socks online... socks are useful too) Magic stuff? Mostly not. You? A book? Yes Mam. Sir. M. Regal. 10 Q. ( 5Q + 5Q = you're welcome )
What happens to orders that went in during the time the page was up?
No worries if you made an order when the window opened. All were received. They’ll be shipped when they arrive.
Beautiful. Cheers David.
FYI David, it appears to me that the page I still up.....unless its being cached
With his books or dvds, David never disappoints. Can't wait to read this one.
I'm sure, it's a good book. Like all the books from David. But 45 $ for the international shipping ! Ouch !
[quote]On Aug 31, 2019, learachel wrote:
I'm sure, it's a good book. Like all the books from David. But 45 $ for the international shipping ! Ouch ! [/quote]

Agreed - in the UK I will have to wait until he starts selling it via other retailers. In his email, David indicates that only he will be selling it at first (and I appreciate mailing individual volumes is expensive) - but I'm sure in time it will be available elsewhere and from experience that is usually at the cover price. I like to try and support a creator directly but this level of shipping cost is too expensive for me (I don't disagree that this is what it does cost to ship).
On that very topic I wonder if David is planning to have these with him at The Session 2020 where he is lecturing. Would save on postage for those in the UK going to the convention? Maybe if David pops back here he could answer I for one plan to pick this up either way but if I can get it at The Session I will wait till January!
[quote]On Aug 31, 2019, rmorrell wrote:
On that very topic I wonder if David is planning to have these with him at The Session 2020 where he is lecturing. Would save on postage for those in the UK going to the convention? Maybe if David pops back here he could answer I for one plan to pick this up either way but if I can get it at The Session I will wait till January! [/quote]

I asked David this via his Facebook page. He said he plans to have them at The Session. How many is another matter entirely though as I'd imagine shipping a bunch of books this size over will be really expensive for him!
My new book [i]Interpreting Magic[/i] will be available in two weeks. Here is an advance review:

[b]INTERPRETING MAGIC
Review by Michael Close[/b]

It has been ten years since David Regal has gifted us with a big book of magic; that book was the wonderful[i] Approaching Magic[/i]. His new book is [i]Interpreting Magic[/i], and it, too, is wonderful, with a wide variety of clever routines of all types (suitable for close-up, parlor, and stage), insightful essays, and interviews with a who's-who of top creators and performers. There is literally something for everyone here.

If you want to skip the rest of the review and head right to David's website to order the book, here's the bottom line. If this book only had the magic routines, it would be worth the price. If this book only had the essays, it would be worth the price. If this book only had the interviews, it would be worth the price. To get all three, packed into a beautifully produced, 565-page book is a gift. In fact, it's the gift that keeps on giving, because I know you will return to it often to find magic you previously overlooked and to remind yourself of the wealth of useful information contained within.

David Regal performs regularly at the Magic Castle and makes infrequent convention appearances. What has kept him off the magic radar is his work as a consultant for television and movies. In particular, he has been the driving magical force behind the popular hidden camera/prank show, [i]The Carbonaro Effect[/i], which is currently taping its fifth season.

I am a longtime fan of David Regal's work. He has a knack for creating well-constructed, sneaky routines. As I read through them, I almost always encounter something that makes me think, "Ah, that's clever." In addition to the craftsmanship shown methodologically, what I really appreciate is that every routine he publishes has a "hook," a premise, some bit of unexpected whimsy that draws the spectator into the proceedings. David also emphasizes scripting; each piece has a thought-out presentation. You might not (and probably won't) use his words verbatim, but he offers a pathway that can aid you as you write your own script. A third important factor is staging; David understands how to elevate an effect (and conceal sneaky stuff) through blocking and audience management. Even if you never perform any of his routines, you will learn a lot by studying how he puts them together.

Scattered throughout [i]Interpreting Magic[/i] are essays devoted to topics such as the things I mentioned in the previous paragraph: Staging, Structure, and Conditions; Writing Magic; Magic in Motion; Method and Effect; The Power in Not Knowing; Examining Examination; The Human Element; Falling Down; and several others. All of this information is backed up by David's years of experience as an improvisational comedian, a comedy writer for television, and a consultant/coach for many projects. The overarching priority, however, is given in the title: the need for magicians to be interpreters of the magic effects they perform. In the Preface he writes:

[b][i]This book has many pages, but its intent can be summed up in a sentence: The surest pathway to good magic is through interpretation.

It's strange that there is a need to point this out, as it is something that goes without saying in the case of all the other arts. No singer purchases the sheet music to a song, and thinks, "I'm done." The singer is not done. The singer is just beginning, and the sheet music is a tool that allows the singer to begin.

That is what a magic secret is. It's wonderful, essential, and just the beginning.

Secrets are a necessary component of magic. They allow a performance of magic to occur, and as such are a means to an end, not the end. They give us a way in which to reach a desired aim, and the better secrets and methods provide pathways that allow our aim to be realized with elegance. The audience does not enjoy the secret, because the audience does not perceive the secret. All the audience can take in is the presentation of our intent. The decisions we make in the process of creating that intent become our interpretation.[/b][/i]

How important is this idea of personalized interpretation? I'll let you make up your own mind about that, but here's a hint. [i]Interpreting Magic[/i] includes interviews with more than thirty of the top performers and creators in magic today. I'll give you a partial list. As you read through the names, make note of the fact that each and every one of these magicians has established an identifiable, unique performing style: Simon Aronson, Barry & Stuart, John Bannon, Gaetan Bloom, Eugene Burger, Derren Brown, Lance Burton, John Carney, Mike Caveney, Raymond Crowe, Charlie Frye, Guy Hollingworth, Helder Guimaraes, Kevin James, Mac King, Martin Lewis, John Lovick, Max Maven, Eric Mead, Jeff McBride, Andy Nyman, David Roth, Juan Tamariz, Teller, Johnny Thompson, Suzanne, Paul Vigil, Michael Weber, David Williamson, R. Paul Wilson, Rob Zabrecky. If you have been in magic for any length of time at all, merely reading the name conjures up images of that person's performing style. This is the importance of interpretation.

I've touched on the essays and the interviews, what about the tricks? As I mentioned above, there is just about something for everyone – card tricks, coin tricks, close-up routines, and magic for parlor and stage. I should mention most of these routines are designed for a formal presentation, like the Close-up Gallery or the Parlor of Mystery in the Magic Castle. They are longer routines, and some require the addition of extra "secret" stuff – like a servante for example. While this means you won't be table-hopping with this repertoire, you will find routines that would work perfectly at the magic theaters that have recently sprung up around the country. I would not classify any of the routines as technically difficult, but they are not geared for the beginner – some magic experience is required. For those of you who love little gizmos and gadgets, you'll find quite a few of them here; and you'll probably have a delightful time sitting at your kitchen table putting them together.

And that's about all I have to say about that. Please support this project; as you'll hear in my conversation with David this month, producing a magic book is a labor of love. You simply cannot imagine the amount of time and effort that goes into it. [i]Interpreting Magic[/i] has everything you want in a magic book: a wide variety of cool tricks, valuable essays, and insightful conversations with magic's upper echelon of performers and creators. I give it my highest recommendation.

You can download a newsletter containing an advance trick and an audio interview at www.michaelclose.com
Any updates?
Will you be at the Genii convention? If so, will you have copies with you for sale?
[quote]On Sep 16, 2019, atouchofmagic1 wrote:
Any updates? [/quote]

According to his website it is available today.
Message: Posted by: strollingmagician (Sep 16, 2019 07:07PM)
[quote]On Sep 16, 2019, Paul Rathbun wrote:
Any updates? [/quote]

According to his website it is available today. [/quote]

What you saw was his last book update on sept. 16 2010. Same date, different year.
[quote]On Sep 16, 2019, strollingmagician wrote:
[quote]On Sep 16, 2019, Paul Rathbun wrote:
Any updates? [/quote]

According to his website it is available today. [/quote]

What you saw was his last book update on sept. 16 2010. Same date, different year. [/quote]

No, it says September 16 for Interpreting Magic.
David’s last post on September 4 said 2 weeks so it should be released very soon hopefully.
Message: Posted by: strollingmagician (Sep 16, 2019 11:51PM)
Sorry, was going off of the books section of his website.
Check your emails! It’s live!
🙌🙌🙌 can't wait to get my copy!
IT'S ARRIVED - IT'S SHIPPING
I'm pleased to report that The Regal Has Landed...

"I give it my highest recommendation."
Michael Close

"'Interpreting Magic' is outstanding."
Josh Jay

“This book offers a wealth of wonderful ideas that will ignite your passion of magic and put you to work.”
Asi Wind

"An enthusiastic five-star rating out of a possible five stars."
Nick Lewin - VANISH Magazine

"'Interpreting Magic' is smart, creative, and insightful on every level."
John Guastaferro

"I haven't had this much fun reading a magic book in many years."
Mark Kalin

AVAILABLE NOW
WWW.REGALMAGIC.COM
Already ordered!

Jim :pepper:
David Regal has one of the most creative brains in magic. ( I don't know whose it is. I'm told he keeps it in a jar in his fridge) Ordered his new book!
You can't do a better price for the international shipping?
Has anyone received a shipment notification? My order was one of the ones that "slipped" through last month when ordering went live by mistake. I never even got a confirmation email from my order though - has me nervous about it.
No email here either, other than the PayPal receipt.

Jim
Hi Everyone -

The books arrived just yesterday! I'm in Chicago shooting another season of [i]The Carbonaro Effect[/i] so I engaged a major magic company to handle orders - you are in very good hands. I will contact them by the end of the week to make sure they are up to date with the orders, and I will stay in contact with you.

I realize that shipping domestically is cheap and shipping out of the country is expensive. I am paying the fulfillment company (and I turned down others) because they are saving you about $25 on every overseas purchase. Believe it or not, the USPS cost for shipping a medium flat rate box (the size of the book) is slightly over $70. The fulfillment company does immense volume and gets better rates... but yes - it costs a lot to ship overseas.

The book is one I've worked on for some time. It's a little bit different, and I think it worked out. It's my every hope that you consider it a good value.

Again, if you ordered I will take care of you - no worries!

David
Great to hear. Thank you very much for the update David.
[quote]On Sep 18, 2019, David Regal wrote:
Hi Everyone -

The books arrived just yesterday! I'm in Chicago shooting another season of [i]The Carbonaro Effect[/i] so I engaged a major magic company to handle orders - you are in very good hands. I will contact them by the end of the week to make sure they are up to date with the orders, and I will stay in contact with you.

I realize that shipping domestically is cheap and shipping out of the country is expensive. I am paying the fulfillment company (and I turned down others) because they are saving you about $25 on every overseas purchase. Believe it or not, the USPS cost for shipping a medium flat rate box (the size of the book) is slightly over $70. The fulfillment company does immense volume and gets better rates... but yes - it costs a lot to ship overseas.

The book is one I've worked on for some time. It's a little bit different, and I think it worked out. It's my every hope that you consider it a good value.

Again, if you ordered I will take care of you - no worries!

David [/quote]

thank you for your answer ,Do you think other dealers (I think Penguin) will sell your book?
I am selling the book directly as it was a very expensive book to make.
I checked - the books have been shipping in a very efficient manner by the folks I'm using. You will be receiving them soon!
I also got in on early ordering and have seen the money applied to my PayPal account and have not received any e-mail of order received. Any why to check on orders?
[quote]On Sep 20, 2019, Leo Reynolds Jr wrote:
I also got in on early ordering and have seen the money applied to my PayPal account and have not received any e-mail of order received. Any why to check on orders? [/quote]

Same here. I trust David and I'm sure his
fulfillment company is taking care of everything. Perhaps there is no tracking information. Hope to have it soon though as I'm very excited.
If anyone wants a tracking number I was given a printout of the shipping through yesterday. Email me at david@davidregal.com
Don't mind us, David. We're just working ourselves through the several steps of anticipating a new magic book:

First comes the helpless excitement, and statements that the author has never done us wrong, and we will be buying immediately, even if the book is not yet written.

Second, comes blind rage that the book is not yet written.

Third, come dark hints that we might want our money back, and how long does it take to write a book exactly? We actually don't want our money back, and genuinely would like to know how long it takes to write a magic book, because we honestly don't know.

Fourth, comes great joy that the book is shipping, accompanied by some dismay that the author has not contacted us personally to talk about that.

Fifth comes some muttering about the post office. Cost is always an issue, and we will point out that if the author would simply live closer to us, it would keep the cost of shipping down considerably.

Sixth and next in the current case of your book, will come some annoyance directed at our fellow magicians and Café denizens. Why have they not written a review yet? And yes, we realize that because of the post, they have not actually RECEIVED their books yet, but still. We WERE going to buy this book, back when we said we were going to buy it, and we WILL buy it, if someone will just buy it first and tell us what is in it, and whether we should buy it. And also.. which are your favorite tricks, and what page number are they on..?

But seriously.. thanks for giving us another book. The others have all been great, and that makes us eager. You'll probably be hearing from us again when Book of the Year is voted, I'd guess. I hope the book is a great success for you.
Just ordered.....looking forward to diving right in to your book David. Want to thank you for all your magic expertise and sharing your ideas and thoughts.

Joe :magicrabbit:
Message: Posted by: strollingmagician (Sep 24, 2019 02:04PM)
Anybody get this yet?
[quote]On Sep 24, 2019, strollingmagician wrote:
Anybody get this yet? [/quote]

Nope. Mine is on the way, last scan was on the 21st with no new updates. Hopefully soon

i have just a sad lonely mailbox
[quote]On Sep 24, 2019, dman11 wrote:

i have just a sad lonely mailbox [/quote]

Well mine certainly hasn't been lonely as it always seems to be stuffed with bills lol. Never a shortage of those
The first books out should be getting into your hands this week. They are shipped via UPS from California.
Received my copy today and this is a beautifully produced book.

There's a nice sewn binding, lovely paper stock (which seems a bit upgraded from the stock used for [i]Approaching Magic[/i]) and what a wonderful upgrade to the photos! Cover design looks very cool sans dust jacket.

Can't wait to dig in and enjoy this book.
Got mine today. I ordered during the early bird mistake sale and all is good.

The book is a monster. Has to weigh a good 6-8 pounds. Can’t wait to start perusing.
I got mine today. Too heavy to pick up and read but will look great on the coffee table.
Me too. First read "a date with Marlo" ( an intro to a Marlo effect) Oh my. (Love Marlo) The book already has my vote for the heaviest book of the year. So glad I sprung for it.
[i]"I gained knowledge and joy from every page of this book."[/i]
Norman Beck - M.U.M. Magazine

The shipping company is now sending out confirmations to purchasers including shipping/tracking numbers. They are doing an amazing, precise job and books are being shipped same-day.

Thank you all.
Mine should be here tomorrow 🙌🙌🙌

Super excited.
Same day? Not happening. I ordered on the 17th and no email here. (No book either!) But I remain patient.
:)
Jim
Hi Jim - I just meant they are shipped out of the warehouse usually on the same day ordered. They travel via UPS out of California.
Thanks David. I'm not worried or upset.. I just figured I'd be a little contrary.

Jim
Well, what I thought was an auto accident in front of my house was just the sound of the book landing on my front porch. What a bruiser! Beautiful book, congrats and thank you David
Got mine today!! Only briefly flipped through it but boy oh boy is this going to be fun to read. Great Job David and thank you again for sharing your amazing work with us.
Mine just arrived as well. And, yes, as everyone says: it's big and heavy and looks amazing. Still making my way through some other books from earlier this year, but this is getting added to the pile to read soon...
When you receive your book, check all the pages very carefully.

My copy has a major production defect with a block of about 20+ pages that are out order, contain duplicate pages, etc.

I've reached out to David via e-mail and hopefully he can get me going with another copy that isn't all messed up.

Not David's fault, but really aggravating/disappointing.

Here's a short clip showing the messed up pages order : https://photos.app.goo.gl/TcyAKyTHyCA9iuQB6
Sorry to hear that Chris. And of course you know David will make good the printer's mistake. I went through my own copy and it's fine. Hopefully yours is a unique anomaly.
[quote]On Sep 27, 2019, Chris Aguilar wrote:
When you receive your book, check all the pages very carefully.

My copy has a major production defect with a block of about 20+ pages that are out order, contain duplicate pages, etc.

I've reached out to David via e-mail and hopefully he can get me going with another copy that isn't all messed up.

Not David's fault, but really aggravating/disappointing.

Here's a short clip showing the messed up pages order : https://photos.app.goo.gl/TcyAKyTHyCA9iuQB6 [/quote]

Yikes! I just checked mine and flipped through all the pages and it *seems* fine at first glance (I didn't check all 500+ pages, but did flip through the whole thing and spot checked as I went without seeing any problems). Sounds like you just got a dud. I'm sure David will get you a proper copy.
I just saw Chris' email (he wrote to me as well) and of course I'm taking care of him. I guess the new guy who works at the printing company showed up drunk one day.
[quote]On Sep 28, 2019, David Regal wrote:
I just saw Chris' email (he wrote to me as well) and of course I'm taking care of him. I guess the new guy who works at the printing company showed up drunk one day. [/quote]
I guess this makes the odd book more rare and valuable now?
I just saw Chris' email (he wrote to me as well) and of course I'm taking care of him. I guess the new guy who works at the printing company showed up drunk one day. [/quote]
Thanks David!

I really appreciate your quick action on this and look forward to reading the book. The parts that I could read were terrific.
[quote]On Sep 28, 2019, CopperChopCup wrote:
I guess this makes the odd book more rare and valuable now? [/quote]
Hah, more like "Can't wait to get the fixed copy so I can throw this one in the garbage".

So far, it sounds like I might be the only person affected by this and let's hope it stays that way.
Got mine today and it is huge. See you in the spring have to dig in. Should be about half way thru this book by then.

Thank you David Regal
Got mine in today as well. Already 115 pages in and there is some great magic between these pages and some wonderful advice. Can’t wait to finish the rest.

Madison
I got my copy today. I love the colored photos.
I'm looking forward to reading this in the future.
I’ve now read all of the tricks in the book. I will make my second round reading the interviews more slowly.

There’s some wonderful effects. Some truly great impromptu card effects, some baffling card effects using gimmicks to help, some wonderful stand up pieces using a myriad of props and premises, and some very strong principles and concepts to help make your magic as incredible as it can be.

I am excited by a lot of the material. I love David’s ability to tell a story with his magic. Every routine is so entertaining and so memorable. It is really inspiring stuff. I believe he thinks deeply about his routines before they ever see the light of day, and this shows.

I will definitely be using some of the material in this book. My favorite thing taught is the one with a wine bottle. WOW it’s genius. I can see why David has kept it a closely guarded secret—talk about a perfect illusion.

Madison
[quote]On Sep 29, 2019, MadisonH wrote:
I’ve now read all of the tricks in the book. I will make my second round reading the interviews more slowly.
Madison [/quote]

Man! you are fast! I've only read through about 5 effects and 4 interviews.
Received the replacement book today in record time. Really appreciate David's quick action in getting it to me.

Have now read about two hundred pages and the book is fantastic. Buy it!
I’m jealous of all of you who have gotten your books already! I ordered on 9/20 and still in pre-shipment purgatory :/ One day!
[quote]On Sep 30, 2019, Chris Aguilar wrote:
Received the replacement book today in record time. Really appreciate David's quick action in getting it to me.

Have now read about two hundred pages and the book is fantastic. Buy it! [/quote]

I don't get it. Magic books with a myriad of routines, detailed instructions and essays of course ; how can you possibly absorb the content so quickly to determine how fantastic it is. I realize David Regal's work speaks for itself but it always bothered me regarding reviews of magic instructional books so quickly. Maybe it's just me.
Here's what I think: If you are reading my book, which took years of extraordinary effort to realize, and you like it, tell everyone and post everywhere.
Reading David’s book...there is much to absorb, but that is what so extraordinary about the book...it is clearly written and photographed superbly. Plus you have input from many other magicians on their insight, ideas and theory on many aspects of magic. Thank you David for the immense amount of time, effort and expertise you have offered the magic community in this publication. Greatly appreciated.

Joe
Received my book today! You guys weren't kidding; this is a very weighty, quality book. Looks like it will be a great, long read!
Mine arrived today too. Only had a moment to glance through it, but from a production quality perspective, this is top-notch. Clear photos, good paper, nice end papers. This is first class all the way.
I read the first effect in the book ("The Magicians") with cards in hand. I worked through the moves a few times grinning from ear to ear. Today I shared it with some friends after work at our local hang-out...the reactions were far better than what I imagined.

Looking forward to learning (and PERFORMING) the effects he has shared in this great book...along the interviews with some of magic's best magicians.
I finished making up “David’s Bottle” today.

Wow. It is a beautiful item. The retention is stunning. Can’t wait to bring this one out in a show next month.

Madison
[quote]On Oct 4, 2019, MadisonH wrote:

Wow. It is a beautiful item. The retention is stunning. Can’t wait to bring this one out in a show next month.

Madison [/quote]

This post prompted me to check this out...CLASSIC Regal thinking! If you have the abilities to make this prop you'll have a piece of magic that will stay in your act forever.
What’s the effect?
[quote]On Oct 6, 2019, emyers99 wrote:
What’s the effect? [/quote]

Basically a utility prop that let's you do a mystery card or prediction in bottle effect. It's really clever.
Is "David's Bottle" covered in [i]Interpreting Magic[/i] or somewhere else?
[quote]On Oct 6, 2019, Ray Haining wrote:
Is "David's Bottle" covered in [i]Interpreting Magic[/i] or somewhere else? [/quote]
It’s taught in the book this thread is talking about :)

Madison
[quote]On Oct 4, 2019, MadisonH wrote:

Madison [/quote]

There's a good reason he noted that he wasn't initially interested in giving the details of that one up... It looks pretty good.
I'm a big Regal fan and ordered this when it was posted for sale. The book arrived and it's beautiful. Any recommendation on where/how to start - should I read in order, or jump to specific tricks and routines, saving the theory and discussion dialog for last? Just looking for any guidance for folks that have pieced their way through the entire book already - thanks.
[quote]On Oct 7, 2019, Steincat04 wrote:
I'm a big Regal fan and ordered this when it was posted for sale. The book arrived and it's beautiful. Any recommendation on where/how to start - should I read in order, or jump to specific tricks and routines, saving the theory and discussion dialog for last? Just looking for any guidance for folks that have pieced their way through the entire book already - thanks. [/quote]

that's a tough one...how do you typically approach a book on magic? I'm the jump around the book type of reader while others go cover to cover...some read the card effects first, others go to the parlor stuff. I guess the short answer is, "To each his own".
I read from cover to cover. I figure that helps me read the book the way the author intended. I have found that the theory and interviews give a nice break from the tricks and vice versa. But yes, to each their own!
What are your top three effects in the book?
Paul, if you are asking [i]me[/i] that question, I don't have the tricks ranked! In addition, there are some very different sorts of effects in the book - it's like comparing apples and thumb tips.
Thanks for the reply David. I was just asking the other guys on the thread as someone mentioned “David’s Bottle” and I found it fun to skip ahead and read someone else’s recommendation. I started at the beginning and am about half way through. If anybody is interested in what I found as my top three thus far let me know. This is probably my favorite magic book I have ever read. If you haven’t already you should buy this book!
I'd like to hear your top three Paul.
My Crush pg.184
Glass & Gold pg.178
One for the Ladies pg.38
Do you have any teaser descriptions on those, for those of us who do not yet have this book?
Don't want to give too much away but here are some brief descriptions:

My Crush - basically a card to picture frame with a great presentational/comedic hook.
Glass & Gold - a shot glass, dollar bill and borrowed ring are used. The ring vanishes in a very clean manner then reappears.
One for the Ladies - a demonstration of misdirection, think card under glass (or card box) for example.
Paul, I don’t have the book in front of me so I don’t know the names, but my favorites are:

David’s Bottle
His take on Homing Card
His take on mystery card (with normal cards)
Lucky Number
Doctor Doctor

Madison
Really disappointing book is not available from UK dealers, I don’t think I’m alone not purchasing due to $45 postage.
You're not, Philippe.
Considering what I pay for some stand alone magic tricks , to get a whole variety in a boook which will offer me joyous reading time for years to come 45 usd was no barrier for me and I am eagerly awaiting the receival,
Yes, shipping internationally has become very expensive. It has essentailly doubled since my last book came out. The book is large, about 6 pounds, and for me to personally ship a book overseas (which I've done, for some of the contributors) costs me $70! $45 represents a discount I receive by paying a fulfillment company to do the shipping instead of me. They have a much lower rate due to the fact they ship in great volume and have negotiated lower prices. So I support your outrage, but don't imagine it's a source of profit.
[quote]On Oct 1, 2019, davidpaul$ wrote:
[quote]On Sep 30, 2019, Chris Aguilar wrote:

Have now read about two hundred pages and the book is fantastic. Buy it! [/quote]

I don't get it. Magic books with a myriad of routines, detailed instructions and essays of course ; how can you possibly absorb the content so quickly to determine how fantastic it is. I realize David Regal's work speaks for itself but it always bothered me regarding reviews of magic instructional books so quickly. Maybe it's just me. [/quote]

It's not just you and it's not just on books. I always laugh when I see reviews of a product the day it's released.

That's not to say this product (especially this product - as you said, David Regal's work speaks for itself and I expect this book to be great), or any one in particular, is not good. But I've sadly come to realize that the vast majority of reviews are worthless. They are made by people that oftentimes have not even watched / read all the instructions and have never performed the effect.

The magic companies don't help since they want reviews ASAP after something is released to help with sales. So I wait awhile and see what people say some time after it is released. Of course, for most things, people have already moved on to something else. But their review of the effect they never performed remains.
I'd review my book for you, but I'm biased. That said, it truly was a labor of love.

As far as reviews go, I do have advice: Find someone whose reviews you trust. A person who, by and large, looks for and appreciates much the same things you do in the subject being reviewed, be it music, film or, in this case, magic. When you have that person, you can absolutely look for his or her first blush opinion of that new piece of music, movie, new magic effect, or great big hunk of writing. We know how we feel about things pretty quickly. I'm only 1/4 into [i]The Way of All Flesh[/i] by Samuel Butler but I've already turned to my wife to tell her how I'm feeling about it (it's great).

So please, if someone is pleased with my efforts, let them have their say! Writers need that word of mouth for all the reasons you can imagine.
Here are a few reviews. More should be coming in a couple of weeks.

"It took David eleven years to publish this companion piece to his previous release, and the polish on these routines is a testament to taking the time to get things right... There is nothing that is served half-baked in [i]Interpreting Magic[/i]. The toughest part of this book is separating the gems from the gems; this is a book that you will be dipping into, and exploring for many years to come."
[b]Nick Lewin - Vanish Magazine[/b]

"One of the best magic books ever... I gained knowledge and joy from every page."
[b]Norman Beck - M.U.M. Magazine[/b]

"If this book only had the magic routines, it would be worth the price. If this book only had the essays, it would be worth the price. If this book only had the interviews, it would be worth the price. To get all three, packed into a beautifully produced, 565-page book is a gift... I give it my highest recommendation."
[b]Michael Close Book Review[/b]
David. I've sent the link to my family as a priority Christmas gift. Once I read it I'll talk about it.

Hope all is well.
I just like that your Christmas list has a "priority" section.
From an interview subject in the book, who just received his copy of [i]Interpreting Magic[/i]:

"Congratulations on a beautiful and fascinating book! There are so many interesting ideas here, and every one has a great premise and script. I can't imagine anyone not being inspired by your explorations."

[b]John Carney[/b]
I made jury duty!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10220457782174012&set=a.1831894156525&type=3&theater
Has anyone received David's book yet in the UK?
I know some people have as I've heard back from them.
Excellent book. Really well produced with full color pics. So far I’m only through the stand-up material, but there are some really creative ideas.
Still only about 200 pages in, but I am loving this book. The variety and quality of material is excellent.

Perhaps most importantly, between the essays, interviews, and the creativity of the scripts and effects, it is a book that inspires one to perform and become better. Love the pictures that David includes of him performing some of the effects at the Magic Castle as well!
I admit I've been clicking on the Genii website for a few days now, waiting for the November issue and the review of [i]Interpreting Magic[/i]. The review, by Francis Menotti, has been published, and here is the first paragraph:

[b]"David Regal is not human. Over the hours, no-days-of thoroughly digesting the more than 500 pages of his freshly released tome, it is evident that the man is part elfish imp, part unstoppable robot, and a fully whimsical creative genius with the witty demeanor of a mischievous Terry Pratchett character. If one is looking for another procedural, academic textbook featuring the here's-a-trick, here's-the-method format, they will be disappointed. This is a journey through magic and its construction and its betterment. It is a collection of time-and experience-tested thoughts, cleverly disguised in tricks, moves, routines, essays, and an impressive number of interviews with many of today's top minds in magic."[/b]

The book was a journey and a labor of love, so I am pleased that people are responding to it. Many thanks.
I like Elfish Imps! Unstoppable Robots...not so much.
Hope David can bring enough for sale at The Session.
From the review of Interpreting Magic in today's [i]Magicseen Magazine[/i]:

"If the book consisted of only the tricks, it would already be a "Must Buy," but that is only one third of the book's content."
[b]Mark Leveridge[/b]
Hi David,

I just purchased your book from your website but got too excited and made an error confirming my old address!!! I sent you a private message through here and your personal e-mail with the right address. Do you think you can help with that?? Thank you in advance!
I realize things happen. I’m contacting the fulfillment company and trying to sort it out. We’ll get you your book one way or another.
David, I got an email saying the book is shipped and it has the correct address on it. You must be very busy these days and I really appreciate you taking the time to fix this! :jump:
I like it when things work out!
David,
Still reading through this amazing work. Thank you for your great contributions to our art.
Howard
I saw David lecture last week with his bottle effect. Very clever!! I bought his book and it is a monster!!
Some people have written to ask if there are tricks in the book. There are TONS of tricks.

[url=https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2518087178306244&set=pb.100003149594968.-2207520000.0.&type=3&theater]Click here for a general idea[/url]
It is a wonderful book although I just started to dive into it! The interviews are outstanding... Jan
Indeed a Wonderful book and a source of inspiration and ideas for many years to come ! :-) thank you David :-) Martin
Many, many, MANY people have written to me saying "When will the book be in magic shops?" For now, I am the only one selling [i]Interpreting Magic[/i], and for a good reason: I paid for the printing costs personally, and those costs were high - I spared no expense. When I die they'll say: "I didn't like him as a person, but did you feel the quality of the paper stock on his last book?" This is a lovely physical object as well as, I dearly hope, a book you will enjoy reading and give you material that you enjoy performing.

The reviews are in:

Genii Magazine – Francis Menotti:
“A valuable, highly recommended piece of magic literature from which every reader can gain inspiration.”

Vanish Magazine – Nick Lewin:
“An enthusiastic five-star rating out of a possible five stars.”

M.U.M.– Norman Beck:
“I gained knowledge and joy from every page.”

Michael Close Book Reviews:
“I give it my highest recommendation.”

Magicseen – Mark Leveridge:
“Another brilliant collection.”

It is my Christmas present to the world. And my Channukah present to a smaller portion of the world.

xo
David, I like your comment on the quality of the paper stock. My home town had one industry, paper-making. The mill made all kinds of paper, including coated paper.
Whenever I buy a magic book, I always check out the quality of the paper. I certainly noticed the quality of the paper on your latest book.
I can only imagine your costs to produce your book. I think it's smart to handle it your way. After-all, only you know the true costs.
We all need to work on our patience in this, I want it now world. Yes, myself included.
Sadly, the mill in my home town had a hostile take over. The mill was demolished years ago. The town has suffered greatly in the name of progress.
I'm glad you took the time to produce your book on your terms and to sell it on your terms. It made me be more patient. I'm enjoying taking my time reading your book. I'm also going back over your/my other books that you wrote. I really enjoy your books.
[quote]On Nov 16, 2019, David Regal wrote:
Many, many, MANY people have written to me saying "When will the book be in magic shops?" For now, I am the only one selling [i]Interpreting Magic[/i], and for a good reason: I paid for the printing costs personally, and those costs were high - I spared no expense. When I die they'll say: "I didn't like him as a person, but did you feel the quality of the paper stock on his last book?" This is a lovely physical object as well as, I dearly hope, a book you will enjoy reading and give you material that you enjoy performing.
[/quote]

Why wait until you die? I'll say it now! I'll also say the *content* of the book is amazing and I'm still only part way through it...
I finally got this. If you care about first editions, David sent out an email that the first editions were almost gone so that pushed me over the edge.

As everyone else has said this is a massive, beautiful book with quality paper stock and vibrant photographs. One thing I really appreciate is that the binding is sewn, meaning the book will stay open anywhere you want as you read it with props in hand. This will keep me occupied for months, and if you look at it that way it's a great value. Of course given David's history with really well thought out and fooling effects, I'm sure it's a great value regardless.
Now available to preorder at your favorite Murphy’s Magic retailer.

Over 500 pages with over 60 routines for close-up, parlor and stage. All this paired with over 1,000 photographs. There are also 30+ conversations with artists, inventors, and contributors to the magic craft.

"David Regal understands more than magic - he understands the moment."
- David Copperfield

"Interpreting Magic is OUSTANDING, and I look forward to returning to it again and again."
- Joshua Jay

More info:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=66460

Best regards,
Titanas
Very glad this is now generally available,

From me, in The UK, to buy direct from the author with shipping would have been $120 now have ordered it from Penguin for under £58 delivered! (less than half the price).

I do try and support creators but this price difference was just too much (I do understand the author's shipping costs etc).
Many, many, MANY people have written to me saying "When will the book be in magic shops?"

I too prefer to order direct from the source, but the international shipping can be prohibitive, so I was really excited to receive an email from my local magic shop saying they will be carrying this book 'soon'.
Really looking forward to reading through this, granted that will take some time!
It's available in magic shops, in case any one doesn't know. I ordered mine to India with free shipping. There wasn't a problem.
In case there's anybody who hasn't bought and read this book yet, get it, read it. You'll love it!
I couldn't put it down.