(Close Window)
Topic: Looooooooong color changing rope?
Iím incorporating the old color changing rope into some of my kidís routines. The fact is, I havenít purchased or used this effect since the 70ís. I believe I purchased it back then from Tannenís catalog. But that was decades ago.

Anyway, I had a hankering to revive it for my kid shows, so I looked online for the effect and found some reviews that they are not all created equal, quality wise. I found complaints about shabby workmanship on some products. So I went to a reputable shop, namely Big Guyís, and purchased one. It arrived today, and it is well made, no problems there. But itís way too short. Only about a foot. I recall the one I bought from Tannenís way back then was much longer.

Can anybody recommend a place or a link where I can purchase one of GOOD QUALITY, yet generously longer than the mere one foot length?
I have never seen a CCR that is any longer then that, as the change will not work if it is longer. Zanadu magic company made the 1st models way back when.

I don't think quality is the issue with most people. It is their handling of the prop. My only concern was there was not way to preset the rope so all you had to do was pick it up or remove it from your pocket and you were ready to perform it.
It was a long time ago. Decades, really. So I guess my memory is faulty. *sigh*
And I agree about what you said about not being able to preset it. That was one of the first things to occur to me when I started messing around with the new prop. It would be very cool to have it preset in my pocket ready to go at a moments notice, but I donít see a way. I.ll have to brainstorm it.

Itís like another rope classic that I do, where you tie a knot in the center of a rope and a watch instantly appears in the knot. I do that a lot for kids ďOk, kids, itís TIME for magic!í

But Iím sure you are familiar with it, and there is no practical way to preset it in your pocket, so you have to secretly preset, and it has to be your opening trick.
No, I like your watch "Time" idea, good thinking.

Actually, the CCR cannot be preset, as the outer rope sheath has to stay springy. If it gets creases, then it will not work as fast. There are ways around it, like attach the rope to the inside of your case or table. Then when you reach for it, just pass your hand along the rope, then move your hand up and remove the other end.

If in a pocket, make it feel like your hand is stuck in your pocket, hold the rope through your pants, and draw your hand out. All set to go.

When I use to do the effect, I would change the color then move hands inward and clip the red rope between the 1st and 2nd finger tips. Then release my grip from the little finger hold on each end. Then move the 2 fingers holding the red rope up, showing the complete rope stretched out between the fingers very fairly.

This is one of those tricks that is the closest we can come to performing real magic.
Hi Bill, my, your phrase about it being so magical..... makes me want to learn and perform it again. we all owe you for this. God bless u!!
I also remember my color changing silks. (Got those from Tannenís, too.) But to me, the changed silk looks kind of ďfakey,Ē now that I look back on it.
The sheath doesn't have to be made from "rope". You'll find that a silk sheath (made from an old beat-up silk handkerchief) works nicely, and comes right off the rope so the rope (about 3 feet long) can be used for rope magic and the sheath can be disposed of as you reach for a ring or a wand. Can't sew? Tiny dots of flexible fabric glue suffice, because no one is going to see the sheath or examine it once the rope has changed color. A magnet embedded in one end of the rope allows you to pull the rope into the sheath at the start using a string with a weight on one end and a magnet on the other.
Iím pretty good at the arts and crafts side of magic, but that sounds hard! Or tricky at the very least!
To the OP.... yes your memory is definitely faulty on this. I've had one of these ropes for over 35 years. It is kind of short but the effect is quite startling. The difficulty is trying to make anything of it. On it's own it's a quick visual bit but it's always a challenge to make something of it.
I know. A quick visual is all I wanted out of it.
The color changing shoelace can be made quite long and can be set up beforehand. It is very easy to make too.
The latest trend in shoelaces is to make them flat, when you need them to be hollow tubes. To make color-changing shoelaces, shop for them in local shoe stores rather than on-line, so you can make sure you are getting the tube laces and not flat ones!
The CCC Shoe Lace is still available, in better colors then the original Black and white from the 1960's. It was always and still in made with original flat shoe laces.

I use to open all my shows as a teenager with it, nice routine back then, don't know what the current routine is, but it sounds familiar.
Doug give Abbott Magic in Michigan a call, (269) 432-3235. They have been around for decades and I've lucked out with them having some old stuff still around.
David Ginn sells the Color Changing Shoe lace in several different color combinations, including the classic.

https://www.ginnmagic.org/?s=color+changing+shoe+lace&post_type=product