(Close Window)
Topic: Jim Zee box question
I have a Jim Zee coin box that I picked up at a sale.

It has the Z in the base and a really thin lid, but it's just a fraction too small to take a half dollar or English penny so I thought it might be a sucker box, but then when I put a smaller coin in it I found it had a slot.

Does anyone know what coin it was made for?
You didn't ask when you purchased the coin box?
What was the smaller coin that did fit?
Was it to small?

Use a caliper to accurately measure the coin box and then go here to see which coins will work:

https://www.air-tites.com/coin_size_chart.htm#.XUa083t7ldg
[quote]On Aug 4, 2019, Jerry wrote:
You didn't ask when you purchased the coin box?
What was the smaller coin that did fit?
Was it to small?

Use a caliper to accurately measure the coin box and then go here to see which coins will work:

https://www.air-tites.com/coin_size_chart.htm#.XUa083t7ldg [/quote]

I didn't ask. It was a second hand magic sale and to be fair it only cost me 1 so it's not a disaster. It looked half dollar size but it is a few 10ths of the millimetre too small. That coin I have in the picture is a UK 2 pence.
I saw on another post than Zee boxes had a bit of extra room around the coin by design. Whereas a Keuppers boxes etc are a much more snug fit.
How does a 50 Pence coin fit?
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Aug 12, 2019 08:26PM)
The odd shaped coin? - listed as 30mm diameter, 2.4 mm thick. half dollars are slightly more than 31 mm diameter and 2.8 mm thick.
There was mention that a regular half dollar and an e] would fit in okay. As would and English Penney.
If it was second hand.. does Jim see have a initial on the box? I gotta get up to go check mine
They have the Z in the base.. make sure they are legit..
[quote]On Aug 11, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:
How does a 50 Pence coin fit? [/quote]

Five 50 pence coins fit in with space for the lid to close perfectly, but the coins are too thick to catch in the slot.

Only four 2 pence coins comfortably fit in, but they do catch.
[quote]On Aug 16, 2019, ShawnB wrote:
They have the Z in the base.. make sure they are legit.. [/quote]

here's the Z
[quote]On Aug 12, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
The odd shaped coin? - listed as 30mm diameter, 2.4 mm thick. half dollars are slightly more than 31 mm diameter and 2.8 mm thick.
There was mention that a regular half dollar and an e] would fit in okay. As would and English Penney. [/quote]

I don't have any calipers, but using a ruler and measuring it by eye it is as close to 30mm diameter as I can judge.

I have coins that will fit, but I'm more intrigued about what it was originally sold for now.

Sacagawea dollars are a bit bigger than a 2p and 2 Euro coins about the same size, but I can't find any mention that boxes were made for those coins.