(Close Window)
Topic: Help Tracking Down a Self Working Card Trick That Uses a Spectrum Deck
I have a number of DVDs and downloads devoted to self working card tricks. Recently I watched one that used a Spectrum deck and so I purchased one of those decks. Now I can't remember which download the trick was on. If you know then please let me know by either posting here or PMing me

Thanks

Ed
All worked out - it's on John Carey's Sweet Simplicity DVD - a trick called Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Ed
Is there a performance of the trick somewhere that I can see?
I don't think so - it's only on the DVD

Ed
Sounds intriguing, Ed. Would you be willing to describe the effect?

Thanks,

Bob
Just on a cruise in the Caribbean at the moment. Iíll post something when I get back in a weeks time. Iíll have to watch the DVD again.

Ed
Enjoy! No need to look up the effect. That's more work than is worthwhile.

Bob
Just watched the performance and explanation again and it really is very good. Everything is in the handling and there are no sleights involved. The spectator does not know that a rainbow beck is in play and thinks all the backs are blue. The cards are cut into 4 piles and each cut gives a blue backed card. These four cards are turned over to reveal 4 aces and then the rest of the deck is spread out to show all different backs. Very easy to do and everything can be examined.

Ed
Thanks for this, egoli; I appreciate the time you took to watch the performance and explanation again. I wrote to you privately that I was going to order the disk -- forgetting that I'd already ordered it! Luckily I remembered before I bought another copy.

So, I looked at Over the Rainbow, and I agee with you -- what a great, easy-to-do trick. I'm going to give it a try. A bonus: when you watch the explanation you get to hear Carey jokingly sing a few bars of Over The Rainbow. He has quite a nice voice!

A related question: has anyone tried the Perception Shuffle that's also on this disk? To my mathemtically trained eye, it's totally obvious what's going on -- and I'd think that secretaries and teachers and anyone who handles stacks of paper routinely, would also not be fooled. So I'm wondering what people's experience is with this one. It's wonderfully easy, and I'd love to use it if people have found that it flies. I particularly like the touch that Carey mentions at the end of the explanation: finishing with a waterfall.

Bob