(Close Window)
Topic: Force a Country
Hi Friends,
Looking to force a country for a stage routine, any ideas?
At the time I found:
- Vortex Magic Presents DESTINATION by Philip Ryan (Svengali Postcards)
- It's in My Genes (Gimmicks and Online Instructions) by Michel
-Mental Pen by Joćo Miranda and Gustavo Sereno (combined with a Map)
-sv....y pad
Pick any country. Have them pick a number 1 to 26.
Each number represents a letter in the alphabet. The following 3 letters will only have one country
Number 15 represents the Letter O and you get Oman,
Number 17 for Q for Qatar,
Number 25 for Y for Yemen.
If you can verify with PROOF that you are actually a magician, you could probably use my "Sealed Envelope Prediction" in The Wizards' Journal #40, item 5. However, without knowing what your stage routine is and why you must force a country and make it big enough to perform on a stage... we are pretty much guessing what on earth you are thinking about.
What is proof of being a magician? Lol
[quote]On Aug 17, 2019, TomB wrote:
Each number represents a letter in the alphabet. The following 3 letters will only have one country
Number 25 for Y for Yemen. [/quote]

Thank you for your idea
[quote]On Aug 17, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
If you can verify with PROOF that you are actually a magician, you could probably use my "Sealed Envelope Prediction" in The Wizards' Journal #40, item 5. However, without knowing what your stage routine is and why you must force a country and make it big enough to perform on a stage... we are pretty much guessing what on earth you are thinking about. [/quote]

I would like to present a "confabulation" in my mental show
where there are some "forcing" and other "free choices"
to reveal in the end a great prediction with, the various choices, and even a Country.
[quote]On Aug 17, 2019, Drylid wrote:
What is proof of being a magician? Lol [/quote]

I need to complete a confabulation in a mental show
[quote]On Aug 17, 2019, Drylid wrote:
What is proof of being a magician? Lol [/quote]

https://www.magicnook.com/forum/bioFG.htm and scroll down to my name.

That's my proof. What's yours? 43 posts like this one?
[quote]On Aug 18, 2019, magictia wrote:
I would like to present a "confabulation" in my mental show
where there are some "forcing" and other "free choices"
to reveal in the end a great prediction with, the various choices, and even a Country. [/quote]

One of the routines described in my "Sealed Envelope Prediction" in The Wizards' Journal #40 ( https://www.magicnook.com/WizJournal/WJ-40ALL.htm and scroll down to item 5) is to pass out three large manila window envelopes to three people in the audience. Through the windows you can see that each large envelope contains a smaller airmail envelope, which also has a window. Then to one of the "contestants" you toss an inflatable globe for picking either an ocean or a continent. To another "contestant" you hand a deck of cards wrapped in a rubber band, and have him reach into the deck and remove one card. To a third contestant, you hold out a handful of bills (currency) from a variety of countries around the world and while your back is turned, you have him "snitch" one and stick it in his pocket. Now their envelopes are opened and reveal a smaller sealed airmail window envelope which they can then tear open and discover that all three selections were predicted long before when they were first sealed up. Contestant number 1's envelope contains the name of the continent or ocean he chose from the globe. Contestant number 2's envelope contains a duplicate to the card he chose from a jumbo deck. Contestant three's envelope contains a duplicate of the currency he "snitched" and pocketed. That's one kind of confabulation I am releasing in my "Sealed Envelope Prediction", and there are other routines possible as well. If you are interested. But I am serious about having you VERIFY that you are a magician before you order. I don't sell my magic secrets to just anybody who wants to know the secrets and who probably won't perform them.
That's not proof Jimbo.
Get a copy of Oxfords Guide to Countries of the World then have a playing card inserted among the pages in bookmark fashion and have the book opened at the inserted card taking note of the country on the revealed page. Look into Dai Vernons Magazine test in tarbell 5 for the forcing method used for this process.

Magically

Aus
There was a magic trick where you blindfolded a person and they stuck a tack in the map. I am not sure but they may have even lit the map on fire to reveal something. This is a faded memory maybe someone can help name this magic trick.

There is also an app map trick where you give your phone to a person and they select a location. And then you magically know it. I have never used it, found it searching for the the method above. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andrieum.mapeffect)
You can have a photo of a world map and show it to them, blank. Then you ask them to sit back and relax (pseudo-hypnosis style presentation). Secretly switch the paper out for one that has your target country circled. Give them the paper face down on a clipboard. Spin the clipboard so that nobody knows the orientation of the map. Have the spectator circle a random spot on the page, but give him a dried pen or marker.
[quote]On Aug 17, 2019, TomB wrote:
Number 25 for Y for Yemen. [/quote]

Although, Yugoslavia has been changed over to individual republics...I suppose somebody could think of it (rather than Yemen)...I did! :)

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
[quote]On Aug 19, 2019, TomB wrote:
There was a magic trick where you blindfolded a person and they stuck a tack in the map. This is a faded memory maybe someone can help name this magic trick.
[/quote]

I have seen this in the 13 Steps to Mentalism by Corinda. Called A Million to One in Step Four part 3 (Predictions for the Stage).
AceOfShades, that is the one, thank you!

magictia,
So you can do the map version that Corinda does, or the globe version of Cook and Buckley from Gems of Mental Magic. You should be able to find Corinda online for free as it's out of copyright, or hard copy pretty cheap. It is a must for all mentalists.
Thank yo so much, toAceOfShades I have Corinda,
and thanks to :
AUS, TomB, ryanshaw9572, Mark Williams
I think I will use a Map with the addition of the Mental pen by Joao Miranda
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8572
This will be very practical and direct
in anticipation of having more choices made,
it is better not to be too long or have multiple phases for a single choice ....
Thanks to all of you and your support
You could read Psychological forces vol 7 by Peter Turner, he explains an awesome way to force Paris, if you can pull it off then you will have a tool and an effect that will serve you forever.
Why don't you use a force pad full with countrys???
[quote]On Nov 14, 2019, walidosama wrote:
Why don't you use a force pad full with countrys??? [/quote]
Because I use a pad to another effect and try to not repeat method .
Have all pick a number between 2 -10, times it by 9, add the 2 numbers,deduct 5, think of the Alphabet letter that matches that number, think of a Country that starts with that letter, take the 2nd letter of that Country and think of a large animal that starts with that letter, think of the Animals color. "I didn't know there was Gray Elephants in DENMARK" Try it, if not too much thinking for you. If you don't get it?? -PM me I'll explain it to you --L-O-L
[quote]On Dec 13, 2019, Russo wrote:
Have all pick a number between 2 -10, times it by 9, add the 2 numbers,deduct 5, think of the Alphabet letter that matches that number, think of a Country that starts with that letter, take the 2nd letter of that Country and think of a large animal that starts with that letter, think of the Animals color. "I didn't know there was Gray Elephants in DENMARK" Try it, if not too much thinking for you. If you don't get it?? -PM me I'll explain it to you --L-O-L [/quote]
Thank you so much but I want to be more direct in the spectator choice.
I will performe this selection using a laminated world's map where spectator pot an "x" (forced by a "Mental pen" by Joao Miranda)
There's a lot of ways to go about forcing obscure things.

I liked the idea mentioned before of a forcing pad.

I also like the idea posted earlier of the Countries of the World book and the Vernon Method.
Alternatively, you could use any book test method that forces a page.
Annemann's method of forcing two cards by having a shuffled deck cut around a joker is a nice way to get a page number.
You could miscall the page of a second book.
Options here are endless.

If you're better at handling cards or prefer it to look quite random, you could always invest in a blank deck and fill the faces with the names of countries. Then classic force, cross cut force, equivoque, Hindu force, riffle force, Charlie Christ Force (a personal favorite), grilled cheese sandwich force etc (I made up the grilled cheese one!)

Write the countries on a board and have the spectator roll loaded dice.

Have the audience write a bunch of countries on billets and use a forcing bag.

Let it be a fair choice, but use a billet switch.

You could try to narrow it down by forcing a letter, like J and hope they go for Japan and not Jordan or Jamaica. Someone pointed out earlier there are a few letters where only one country in the world begins with them.

It looks as though there's no shortage of methods for forcing this information, my friend. If you're at the point where you really need to force a country for your stage show, odds are you already know a bunch of ways to force information. Choose whatever feels most natural for you and don't complicate things too much. Focus on the plot and making it enjoyable for the audience, not unbeatable for magicians.
[quote]On Aug 25, 2019, AceOfShades wrote:
[quote]On Aug 19, 2019, TomB wrote:
There was a magic trick where you blindfolded a person and they stuck a tack in the map. This is a faded memory maybe someone can help name this magic trick.
[/quote]

I have seen this in the 13 Steps to Mentalism by Corinda. Called A Million to One in Step Four part 3 (Predictions for the Stage). [/quote]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richard Osterlind does a great video presentation of the map effect on the 13 steps DVD set. Very cool stage routine!

S.
You could hand out a bunch of slips of paper and pens. Have the spectators write down different countries. Gather them up and place them in the middle of a cloth sitting on the table gather up the corners of the cloth (like a bag) and have someone reach in and grab one piece of paper out. That's the country you use.

Of course the cloth is a devils hank and the pocket is loaded with slips all written with the force country.

This accomplishes two things. First you get the country you want, and it seems like it was a country thought of by the spectators and not the magician, which adds an extra layer of impossible to it!
You could also use a LARGE Clear Plastic bag (gimmicked, if you know what I mean).
Get a load of holiday brochures from a travel agent, say about 6-10, all for the country you want to force.
Make sure the covers are different and then hold them up, fan them and get one chosen.
This is the easiest way I can think of that doesn't look like a magician's "move".
[quote]On Dec 30, 2019, Tom Fenton wrote:
Get a load of holiday brochures from a travel agent, say about 6-10, all for the country you want to force.
Make sure the covers are different and then hold them up, fan them and get one chosen.
This is the easiest way I can think of that doesn't look like a magician's "move". [/quote]

Tom, that's a great idea! Annemann would be proud. I could see Docc Hilford doing exactly that and getting away with it no problems at all. :cucumber: :pepper:
Thank you.
Tom, 👍🏼
Thank you Docc.