(Close Window)
Topic: Sports
Anybody into sports?
Ping pong?
Lifelong football fan .... known as soccer in USA.
I enjoy watching sports in which I have participated.

I like (American) college football, much more than (American) professional football.

I like baseball (much more at the park than on the telly).

I like badminton, tae kwon do, judo, and equestrian sports. And, yes, table tennis (ping pong).

I don't particularly care for basketball, ice hockey, football (soccer), or curling.
[quote]On Aug 29, 2019, S2000magician wrote:

I don't particularly care for basketball, ice hockey, football (soccer), or curling. [/quote]

Olympic Curling is good for a mesmerizing hour every four years.
I'm a baseball and basketball guy.
No, it's just a conspiracy theory. If sports fans were real, we would have found remains of dead ones by now.
Oh yeah. That's right, I completely forgot all about that.
[quote]On Aug 29, 2019, arthur stead wrote:
Lifelong football fan .... known as soccer in USA. [/quote]
Who's your team?
[quote]On Aug 29, 2019, tommy wrote:
No, it's just a conspiracy theory. If sports fans were real, we would have found remains of dead ones by now. [/quote]

European football (soccer) matches, I can say no more!
[quote]On Sep 1, 2019, magicfish wrote:
[quote]On Aug 29, 2019, arthur stead wrote:
Lifelong football fan .... known as soccer in USA. [/quote]
Who's your team? [/quote]

Growing up in Pretoria, South Africa, I played for the Arcadia Shepherds youth teams. At the same time, every Saturday morning, we listened live BBC soccer broadcasts on shortwave radio (we had no TV). So Manchester United became my favorite team, with one of their star players, George Best, becoming my idol. Been a fervent Man Utd supporter ever since.
The Reds! Ooh Ahh Cantona.
CANTONAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!
The King.
Nowadays mostly just football, Iím a New Orleans Saints Fan.

Tom
I've never really been into sports. Living in New England, if the Patriots are in the Super Bowl, I'll watch, but that's it.
Hockey and Football. Grew up playing football and played 2 years into college before getting hurt but I wish my parents had the money for us to play hockey. Really have come to love that game. Takes so much more skill to play hockey than it does football. I would say hockey is probably one of the toughest sports to play as far as technique and skill involved. I do love to watch a great Tennis match as well!
Love tennis.
[quote]On Sep 4, 2019, RNK wrote:
Hockey and Football. Grew up playing football and played 2 years into college before getting hurt but I wish my parents had the money for us to play hockey. Really have come to love that game. Takes so much more skill to play hockey than it does football. I would say hockey is probably one of the toughest sports to play as far as technique and skill involved. I do love to watch a great Tennis match as well! [/quote]

I think most sports on a professional level are very tough.

But I offer this as a point of view you may not have considered.

https://fenwaypark100.org/2016/02/28/the-hardest-thing-to-do-in-all-of-sports-without-question-is-to-hit-a-baseball-ted-williams/
[quote]On Sep 4, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
[quote]On Sep 4, 2019, RNK wrote:
Hockey and Football. Grew up playing football and played 2 years into college before getting hurt but I wish my parents had the money for us to play hockey. Really have come to love that game. Takes so much more skill to play hockey than it does football. I would say hockey is probably one of the toughest sports to play as far as technique and skill involved. I do love to watch a great Tennis match as well! [/quote]

I think most sports on a professional level are very tough.

But I offer this as a point of view you may not have considered.

https://fenwaypark100.org/2016/02/28/the-hardest-thing-to-do-in-all-of-sports-without-question-is-to-hit-a-baseball-ted-williams/ [/quote]

Hmm. Yes, I do see your point. I also played baseball for 15 years. It is hard when you are in a hitting slump to come out of it. I looked up top 10 sports as far as difficulty level, ESPN ranked Boxing #1 and Ice Hockey #2. I believe it then went Football #3, Basketball #4 and Wrestling #5. I am surprised to see football at #3. I never though it to be very difficult to play as far as skills/technique. I wrestled one year and that was enough for me! Tough sport with super tough practices. Just never liked it from day one.
Yea difficulty level is hard to gauge isn't it? I want to see any boxer hit a curve ball, or fast ball or for God sake a knuckle ball!

It is a fact that reaction time is just less than a second. See the ball, decide to swing, and make contact somehow. It is about 2/10 of a second.

I mean is difficult the most athletically demanding? The need for physical prowess? What is the meaning of the word difficult as it is applied in that case? It is sort of ambiguous.

Of course at 52, carrying about 30 extra pounds, pretty bad knees and shoulder replaced I am hard pressed to find a sport of any sort that is NOT difficult!
I'd like to see any baseball player survive a few rounds with any professional boxer.
Cycling. The worlds most arduous sport.
[quote]On Sep 5, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Cycling. The worlds most arduous sport. [/quote]

Nah. Once you reload your doped-blood you feel like superman.
[quote]On Sep 5, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
[quote]On Sep 5, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Cycling. The worlds most arduous sport. [/quote]

Nah. Once you reload your doped-blood you feel like superman. [/quote]

Lance would confirm that.
I'd like to see any baseball player survive a few rounds with any professional boxer. [/quote]

Any baseball player and any boxer? I'll take that bet if I can pick which of each. Just survive? Easy.

But obviously your point is professionals in their own sport are quite good at it. A pro baseball player will not be nearly as good as a honed athlete who has trained to box.

Even within combat sports there is not much crossover that works well. Ask Connor McGregor.

If I had an athletic kid I would encourage him to be a left handed relief pitcher. Long career, not much injury, good after sports life and great pay. Statistically that is not a bad job.
[quote]On Sep 10, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
I'd like to see any baseball player survive a few rounds with any professional boxer. [/quote]

Any baseball player and any boxer? I'll take that bet if I can pick which of each. Just survive? Easy.
[/quote]

Yeah... you still have to stick to weight-class. No way they make 12 rounds, but technically alive.
Https://www.soccertackle.com/football-goal---dollie-736-p.asp
I'd like to see any baseball player survive a few rounds with any professional boxer.[/quote]
And I'd like to see any professional boxer survive a Formula 1 race at speed.

Your point, such as it is, is, well, pointless.
That is very tough at speed, for long periods of time.

That is my point about how tough any particular sport is in comparison to another is hard to quantify.
Especially in boxing gloves.

That is my point about how tough any particular sport is in comparison to another is hard to quantify. [/quote]

Agree. Though for example, recently there were a couple NFL players that tried to put ice skates on (Larry Fitzgerald being one) and grabbed a stick to try hockey. Well, let's just say Larry wasn't even able to use his stick with a puck because he couldn't stand long enough. Now, you take an NHL player and put pads on him to play football, he will be able to at least compete. I understand this first hand as I played football since I was 9 until I was 20 years old (2 years at a Div. III school) and now I have been an assistant coach for 2 youth ice hockey teams for 3 years and I can confidently say that Ice hockey is much harder to play than football. Not even close.
Well that is those equipment issues you are talking about. Most NHL players could not do the Luge or Bobsled in the Olympics.

Being able to get the equipment on and walk around is ne being able to compete.
It's more of a skill issue in that they can't skate on ice. Whereas an NHL player can put on football equipment and right away would be able to compete. A football player cannot put on ice skates and go out there and compete.

I was comparing Hockey to Football. It's funny because there were a few NFL players that said they could make the NHL in 6 months!, LOL! UNTIL they put on ice skates and went out on the ice and fell on there butt, LOL!
I get it. You can't extrapolate past your own experience. Putting on pads in no way qualified one for the NFL.

I saw Tom Kite once at a Pro/Am tournament many years ago. We were having almost this exact discussion. He was talking about how some incredible athletes wind up riding in the cart after 12 holes, how their game drops off so badly and so on.

His point was that his golf muscles were developed better. Not that one was a better athlete.

Try playing soccar and tell me it is not an endurance sport. Watch the joke that was Michael Jordan, arguably the best basketball player ever, try to catch a fly ball in right field. He liked like a guy trying to catch an egg in a hurricane. His batting was worse.

Putting on pads does not mean you can compete any more than knowing how to hold a club makes you able to compete in golf. The comparison is ridiculous, but since you can't see outside your own experience yout don't even see it.
[quote]On Sep 11, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
I get it. You can't extrapolate past your own experience. Putting on pads in no way qualified one for the NFL.[/quote]

Nobody is suggesting athletes are capable of competing in every professional sport. Specialization is a massive gatekeeper.
But non-pro athletes are competitive in non-pro sports. Muscles and speed are universal.
Not the way they are used. Not the way they are developed. It is somewhat akin to thinking body builders are power lifters.

Muscles and speed are simply not universal. That is a gross oversimplification. If it was true then specialization would not be such a gatekeeper.

You can have all the muscles and speed you want and without having trained them they are useless. Which gets me back to why it is hard to compare which is tougher to do.
Not the way they are used. Not the way they are developed. It is somewhat akin to thinking body builders are power lifters.

Muscles and speed are simply not universal. That is a gross oversimplification. [/quote]

With modern-fitness most high-school and some college athletes can play any sports they want.
OK the exception not the rule. Those same exceptions existed forever.

They do not contradict my point though they make a wonderful straw man.
[quote]On Sep 11, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:

Muscles and speed are simply not universal. That is a gross oversimplification.[/quote]

With modern-fitness most high-school and some college athletes can play any sports they want.[/quote]
Give me any high school or college athlete who hasn't ridden a horse and I'll go up against them any day in endurance riding, and trounce them.

Give me any high school of college athlete who hasn't driven a Formula 1 (or, for that matter, Formula 2, or most go-karts) and they'll never last the race distance at speed. Their necks won't take it.

Your generalization is completely wrong.
Generally, endurance horse-back riding and Formula 1 are not high-school or college sports.

Specifically, almost any healthy adult-human can pick 5 contestable skills in which no other human on earth can sweep them.
Not a chance. Plus you keep changing what you are saying.
Generally, endurance horse-back riding and Formula 1 are not high-school or college sports.[/quote]
You didn't restrict it to high school or college sports, you wrote:

With modern-fitness most high-school and some college athletes can play [b][i]any sports[/i][/b] they want. [Emphasis added.][/quote]
Are you now saying that they're allowed to want to play [b][i]only[/i][/b] high school and college sports?

Even if we accept your restriction, I'd be very surprised to find many high school or college baseball, football, or basketball players who would give even a marginally decent showing at diving, swimming, or water polo, all of which are generally high school and college sports, without specific training and practice in those sports.
[quote]On Sep 11, 2019, RNK wrote:

That is my point about how tough any particular sport is in comparison to another is hard to quantify. [/quote]

Agree. Though for example, recently there were a couple NFL players that tried to put ice skates on (Larry Fitzgerald being one) and grabbed a stick to try hockey. Well, let's just say Larry wasn't even able to use his stick with a puck because he couldn't stand long enough. Now, you take an NHL player and put pads on him to play football, he will be able to at least compete. I understand this first hand as I played football since I was 9 until I was 20 years old (2 years at a Div. III school) and now I have been an assistant coach for 2 youth ice hockey teams for 3 years and I can confidently say that Ice hockey is much harder to play than football. Not even close. [/quote]
Put the best hockey player in the world, or the fastest, or the strongest and put him in an NFL game and he'll probably never compete in any sport ever again. Or eat solid food.
And I'm Canadian.
Not a chance. Plus you keep changing what you are saying. [/quote]

This is merely a thought-experiment addendum. Even you Danny, have five skills that no one on earth could sweep.
They may be obscure and non-formal competitions, but true nevertheless. Even card-tricks, speed-walking and MASH trivia would drop your remaining competition down to the thousands.

Pretty sure we're all on the same page with respect to specialization dominating pro-sports (and pretty much everything).
Being a thought does not allow you to keep changing what you are saying.
[quote]On Sep 11, 2019, magicfish wrote:

Agree. Though for example, recently there were a couple NFL players that tried to put ice skates on (Larry Fitzgerald being one) and grabbed a stick to try hockey. Well, let's just say Larry wasn't even able to use his stick with a puck because he couldn't stand long enough. Now, you take an NHL player and put pads on him to play football, he will be able to at least compete. I understand this first hand as I played football since I was 9 until I was 20 years old (2 years at a Div. III school) and now I have been an assistant coach for 2 youth ice hockey teams for 3 years and I can confidently say that Ice hockey is much harder to play than football. Not even close. [/quote]
Put the best hockey player in the world, or the fastest, or the strongest and put him in an NFL game and he'll probably never compete in any sport ever again. Or eat solid food.
And I'm Canadian. [/quote]

Guess you never heard of Dustin Byfuglien? Look him up and you will see that he easily can play in the NFL whereas NO NFL player would be able to play in the NHL.

Danny, you can't see past your own points either. Simply comparing TWO sports, Hockey and Football, that's it. Hockey players would be able to compete at football with no practice necessary whereas a football player would not be able to immediately compete in hockey. Not hard to understand that statement.
Jalen Ramsey from the Jaguars said he could make the NHL after 6 months of training. Then Jalen visits the Predators and doesn't even get on the ice, just synthetic ice, to shoot pucks. At the end of the video, Jalen re-issues his statement that he probably can't make the NHL after 6 months of training, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqOh2_36gn4
[quote]On Sep 12, 2019, RNK wrote:

Guess you never heard of Dustin Byfuglien? Look him up and you will see that he easily can play in the NFL whereas NO NFL player would be able to play in the NHL.

Danny, you can't see past your own points either. Simply comparing TWO sports, Hockey and Football, that's it. Hockey players would be able to compete at football with no practice necessary whereas a football player would not be able to immediately compete in hockey. Not hard to understand that statement. [/quote]

It is not hard to understand the statement. That does not make it correct.

I'm sorry this is just ludicrous. You are now making the claim that ANY hockey player can compete in NFL football with no practice necessary? Seriously you just wrote that. It is like talking to a 4 year old with superhero worship. So at his prime Wayne Gretzky could have played half back or guard for the Super Bowl Championship team that year? Or he could have played defensive back or linebacker? Do you read what you claim before you post it?

Hockey players can not even switch positions all that effectively within their own sport much less automatically play in the NFL. Why do you think they have specific positions in the first place? I get it. For whatever reason you have hockey player idol worship. It is obvious. (May want to get it looked into because it seems as if it has dampened your critical thinking skills.)

So if a hockey player can play in the NFL without practice, why has the NFL not gone and recruited all the amazing hockey players to play football? They can save lots of money on practice and such simply by using such a superior athlete! The statement is just crazy!

Do you want to revise your obviously way overstated position? Can a hockey player hit a fastball with a .300 average? If so then he is taking a heck of a beating for no reason.
Jalen Ramsey from the Jaguars said he could make the NHL after 6 months of training. Then Jalen visits the Predators and doesn't even get on the ice, just synthetic ice, to shoot pucks. At the end of the video, Jalen re-issues his statement that he probably can't make the NHL after 6 months of training, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqOh2_36gn4 [/quote]

So one guy can't do it. That in no way backs up your ridiculous statements about any NHL player being in the NFL with NO PRACTICE.
NFL Linemen are just giant slabs of meat. Any slab'll do.

Danny, you can't see past your own points either. Simply comparing TWO sports, Hockey and Football, that's it. Hockey players would be able to compete at football with no practice necessary whereas a football player would not be able to immediately compete in hockey. Not hard to understand that statement. [/quote]
Heard of him? I fall asleep reciting his career stats.
Great athlete. Good nhler. Would get annihilated in the NFL.
[quote]On Sep 12, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
NFL Linemen are just giant slabs of meat. Any slab'll do. [/quote]
Incorrect. They are incredible athletes. The best of the best. Young, huge, and fast.
If you arent also nfl worthy like an nhl player, or roger federer, or Shaquille o'neal, they will hurt you. Badly.
Yea if you don't understand the game you believe they are slabs of meat. If you don't understand hockey you think they are figure skaters. Lack of knowledge speaks volumes. At least Mr. Salk is attempting to be humorous. Failing miserably as usual, but attempting anyhow so he gets full credit for that.
[quote]On Sep 12, 2019, magicfish wrote:
NFL Linemen are just giant slabs of meat. Any slab'll do. [/quote]
Incorrect. They are incredible athletes. The best of the best. Young, huge, and fast.
If you arent also nfl worthy like an nhl player, or roger federer, or Shaquille o'neal, they will hurt you. Badly. [/quote]

I agree. Lineman aren't considered skilled.
No. You don't agree.
They are extremely skilled.
No. You don't agree.
They are extremely skilled. [/quote]

Being meaty isn't a skill.
Argue with the NFL.

NFL skill positions:

The skill positions are: Quarterback. Running back, particularly halfback. Wide receiver. Cornerback. Safety. Return specialist. Less commonly, linebacker and defensive end.
That is ridiculous. Because not just anyone can be a pulling guard, know how to defend the passer, and so on. Maybe not "as skilled" as a QB, but certainly differently skilled.

When all your information comes from Wikipedia maybe you don't actually know. It has more to do with handling the ball, and scoring points than the word "skill" implies. They pay premium for the ball skills. This is true. I mean to say a guy who opens holes in defensive lines, or sacks a quarterback has no skills is idiotic.
How dare you accuse me of using Wikipedia. I get my information from the Google answer-box.
No. You don't agree.
They are extremely skilled. [/quote]

Argue with the NFL.

NFL skill positions:

The skill positions are: Quarterback. Running back, particularly halfback. Wide receiver. Cornerback. Safety. Return specialist. Less commonly, linebacker and defensive end. [/quote]
Defensive End is a Lineman.
It is clear you don't know football- it was clear before this gaff.
And that's ok.
Spouting opinions on something you know nothing about isn't against the rules here.
No. You don't agree.
They are extremely skilled.[/quote]
Argue with the NFL.

NFL skill positions:

The skill positions are: Quarterback. Running back, particularly halfback. Wide receiver. Cornerback. Safety. Return specialist. Less commonly, linebacker and defensive end.[/quote]
"Skill position" is a technical term to refer to positions that commonly handle the ball.

It most certainly is not intended to suggest that other positions do not require skill; only that they are far less likely to require [i]ball-handling[/i] skill.
It is clear you don't know football- it was clear before this [b][i]gaff[/i][/b].[/quote]
It is clear that you don't know spelling - it was clear before this gaff[b][i]e[/i][/b].

(Sorry: it was simply too easy to pass up.)
[quote]On Sep 12, 2019, S2000magician wrote:
It is clear you don't know football- it was clear before this [b][i]gaff[/i][/b].[/quote]
It is clear that you don't know spelling - it was clear before this gaff[b][i]e[/i][/b].

(Sorry: it was simply too easy to pass up.) [/quote]
I do know spelling. I don't always know electronics. Unlike you, I still make errors occasionally.
I'll give back my awards, Bill. Forgive me.
John Randle and Randall MacDaniel were very skilled.
You'll have to google their names to see if I spelled them correctly.
If so, commence lambasting.
Unlike you, I still make errors occasionally.[/quote]
You and I both.

I'll give back my awards, Bill. Forgive me.[/quote]
All's forgiven, and you can keep the awards; I've no place to put them.

;)
Antonio Brown is done.
And I predicted it before game 1