(Close Window)
Topic: What a disappointment!
I just stumbled across a cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Up Around The Bend" by Elton John.

I really, really like Elton John, but he should have left that song alone.

Some songs - including most by CCR - are best left to the original artist.

What a disappointment!
He also covered their "Travelin' Band".

Wow!

What I didn't know!

Another disappointment.
Perhaps it was revenge against this:

[youtube]lul-Y8vSr0I[/youtube]
Elton John is such an amazing and creative artist. But yes there are some examples of songs that would have benefited from his not interpreting them.
Definitely extremely talented. Never been a big fan though.
I haven't listened to the CCR covers but I assume they're missing the Authentic-Grit.
Thanks for warning me. I definitely won’t be looking for those cover versions!

CCR songs should be left alone.

Can’t imagine Elton doing this justice:

[youtube]xMgKEh0lRMc[/youtube]
Reminds me of Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas” as covered by Black Sabbath.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Aug 31, 2019 08:21PM)
Agreed, Mr. Salk. The Elton John version sounds like any grit was harmonized out.
Always liked Seger’s cover of Fortunate Son.
[quote]On Sep 1, 2019, motown wrote:
Always liked Seger’s cover of Fortunate Son.[/quote]
The third verse always bothered me; it should have been "[b][i]general's[/i][/b] son", not "[i]military[/i] son". It breaks the established pattern (being the son of a specific individual (senator, millionaire)), and it has the wrong number of syllables.

I'll have to listen to Seger's cover; I can imagine that it would be creditable.
It is great. I have always enjoyed the Silver Bullet Band. "Like a Rock" was the album I believe it was on is good work.

It is not going to fix your issues with military instead of general's son though. He sings military.

Which didn't bother me until now. So thanks for that.
[quote]On Sep 1, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Which didn't bother me until now. So thanks for that.[/quote]
My mission here is complete.
[quote]On Sep 1, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
It is great. I have always enjoyed the Silver Bullet Band. "Like a Rock" was the album I believe it was on is good work.

It is not going to fix your issues with military instead of general's son though. He sings military.

Which didn't bother me until now. So thanks for that. [/quote]Danny, it’s on American Storm.
I've been listening to "Coffee House Covers" station on Pandora radio. I have come to believe that any song can be improved with an acoustic guitar, slower tempo, and gravelly voice.
[quote]On Sep 4, 2019, imgic wrote:
I've been listening to "Coffee House Covers" station on Pandora radio. I have come to believe that any song can be improved with an acoustic guitar, slower tempo, and gravelly voice. [/quote]

Exceptof course for "Won't Get Fooled Again".
Or "Smoke On The Water", "Gimme Some Lovin'" and many others ...
To avoid disappointment always expect copies to be degrading.
Shatner puffing on that coffin nail doing that recitation of Rocket Man was the stupidest thing I have ever saw.
I've been listening to "Coffee House Covers" station on Pandora radio. I have come to believe that any song can be improved with an acoustic guitar, slower tempo, and gravelly voice.[/quote]
Do you mean like this:

[youtube]WYzEIIx_KHg[/youtube]

?
[quote]On Sep 4, 2019, arthur stead wrote:
Or "Smoke On The Water", "Gimme Some Lovin'" and many others ... [/quote]

I actually try to blot a lot of that out of my mind LOL.

Interestingly enough I once saw an interview with Pete Townsend who talked about the creative process of The Who. He was talking about one of the anthems they sang and mentioned how he had envisioned it as a balled and Roger turned it into a screaming anthem. I was at the time thinking THANK GOD he did!
[quote]On Sep 4, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
I've been listening to "Coffee House Covers" station on Pandora radio. I have come to believe that any song can be improved with an acoustic guitar, slower tempo, and gravelly voice. [/quote]

Exceptof course for "Won't Get Fooled Again". [/quote]

Actually Townsend did a killer acoustic versions of that song at The Secret Policemans Ball in 1979

[youtube]wNjczDq5D4E[/youtube]

No vocals, but some pretty fine guitar playing on this cover of “Smoke on the Water”

[youtube]2hGn6OgRpiA[/youtube]

I think you got me on “Gimme Some Lovin’” I couldn’t find a slow acoustic version (though I found video of Weird Al doing a cover of it)
[quote]On Sep 6, 2019, imgic wrote:
[quote]On Sep 4, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:

Exceptof course for "Won't Get Fooled Again". [/quote]

Actually Townsend did a killer acoustic versions of that song at The Secret Policemans Ball in 1979

[youtube]wNjczDq5D4E[/youtube] [/quote]

Yep hated it. That was actually what I was referring to. Being fair I believe I once heard an interview with Townsend in which he mentions the song was originally intended more like this version until Roger got hold of it.

My favorite thing from Secret Policeman's ball is later in 2006. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqNl6Tc70M0
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Ao-iNPPUc

This is my favorite cover of Thunderstruck. Don't immediately click off.

Not necessarily musically my favorite but for innovation.
[quote]On Sep 6, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
My favorite thing from Secret Policeman's ball is later in 2006. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqNl6Tc70M0 [/quote]
All that rehearsal time and no one bothered to tell him he was miming the slide guitar completely wrong? #PerformerFail
Not having been there I am not sure.

But consider this is not the first place he did that. He had done it for quite a while, which was why he was asked to do the show in the first place. So your point actually goes MUCH deeper than just the rehearsal.
[quote]On Sep 6, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:

Yep hated it. That was actually what I was referring to. Being fair I believe I once heard an interview with Townsend in which he mentions the song was originally intended more like this version until Roger got hold of it.

My favorite thing from Secret Policeman's ball is later in 2006. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqNl6Tc70M0 [/quote]

That was great.