(Close Window)
Topic: The Time Traveler
[img]http://logs.surnateum.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/barbie1840e-527x1024.jpg[/img]

As usual, I'm at the Old Brussels Flea Market, which is a veritable vortex for strange objects. One of my favorite merchants has just for sale a set of paper sheets on which are stapled various models of seamstress work, handkerchiefs, sleeves, embroidery... The set dates from 1840 and is quite pretty, but does not particularly fit in the Surnateum collections. It is also a bit expensive.
But a miniature dress catches my eye. It looks like a kind of apron that was worn over clothing in the middle of the 19th century. At first sight, it would be perfect for a Barbie doll.
Amazing! Mattel's Barbie doll did not make its appearance until 1959 in the USA, although it was inspired by a 1955 German doll, the Bild Lilli.

So I negotiate the purchase of the dress and shawl that accompanies it, and I hasten to find a Barbie of the 1960s at the same market. The dress seems to have been cut to measure for her, she adjusts to perfection. I was amused at the idea of getting my hands on the oldest Barbie dress, created 120 years before the doll…

Of course, the logic is that it is a miniature model of an apron, which was used to present the creations of the seamstress.

Nevertheless, the Barbie has absolutely no proportions of a normal woman, her size is too thin, her chest too big, her hips are aberrant ... If the dress had been a miniature dress for a normal woman, she does not would not adjust at all to Barbie.

There is therefore no rational explanation for this "coincidence".

The lover of fantasy and science fiction that lies dormant in me imagines the following scenario.

A 1960s scientist, after seeing George Pal's film "The Time Machine", based on H.G.Wells' novel, imagines a model of a time machine as in Georges Pal's film. In place of the cigar that serves as a traveler, he places a Barbie, belonging to his daughter, and sent her 120 years in the past. As Barbie's undershirt from the 1960s may seem outrageous in 1840, someone makes him clothes more in keeping with the era...

Who knows…
I don't know about anyone else, but you just described my perfect woman.
[img]http://logs.surnateum.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/time-machine1.jpg[/img]

Barbie's Time Machine :)
Now you understand why everyone is gone from the forum.
It was a very simple test.
Are you referring to Al's comment? If so, perhaps you are correct. Certainly indicative of why women don't feel welcome in the magic community.
The problem with this forum, is mainly when anyone posts anything truly interesting or helpful there is crowd here that rushes to turn the thread into a joke.

The interesting people are rarely here anymore, but the funny people remain.

Just take a look at how most threads end around here.

I would bet most people that post here a lot are fine with the direction things have taken and like the low brow humor and that is fine, just don't be surprised that many of the more interesting people don't post here anymore.
This reminds me of [url=http://forgetomori.com/2010/fortean/time-traveler-caught-in-museum-photo/]that 1940's photograph[/url] where a man wearing what seems to be a very modern outfit looks like some time traveller. It seems a proper coincidence, yet it makes one wonder what the alternative could be.

Seeing things that seem so out of time can be such a disruptive experience. I should visit the Brussels Flea Market again some time, it's been too long. Amazement and wonder is up for grabs over there.
I love those sorts of things.
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Sep 5, 2019 06:04PM)
[quote]On Sep 5, 2019, justcookin wrote:
This reminds me of [url=http://forgetomori.com/2010/fortean/time-traveler-caught-in-museum-photo/]that 1940's photograph[/url] where a man wearing what seems to be a very modern outfit looks like some time traveller. It seems a proper coincidence, yet it makes one wonder what the alternative could be.

Seeing things that seem so out of time can be such a disruptive experience. I should visit the Brussels Flea Market again some time, it's been too long. Amazement and wonder is up for grabs over there. [/quote]

Sadly, none of the items that the man is wearing are actually anachronisms:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/time-traveling-hipster/
[img]http://logs.surnateum.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/barbie-time2.jpg[/img]

Here's the source of the dress. Every other clothes have standard human size, in reductio. But the Barbie dress hasn't.
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Sep 6, 2019 07:29AM)
The "Barbie" outfit is truly a mind-boggler.

I love that you noticed it, and how you plan on using it.
The fun part is that it's not the only item that can be use in a concept of time travel. Futility, written in 1898 by Morgan Robertson, may be considered either as a premonition or an evidence for time travel.
Could it be a miniature model of a dress meant to be worn with a corset?
Not really, it's an apron dress.
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Sep 6, 2019 07:55PM)
[quote]On Sep 6, 2019, The Curator wrote:
The fun part is that it's not the only item that can be use in a concept of time travel. Futility, written in 1898 by Morgan Robertson, may be considered either as a premonition or an evidence for time travel. [/quote]

Of course, Robertson denied any claims of premonition or time travel, but instead said that he just had extensive knowledge of ships.

But why let that get in the way of a good story? ;-)
I'm quite intersted in things or events, well documented, that can be "proof" of possibility of time travel.
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Sep 7, 2019 09:43AM)
I'm definitely fascinated by Out-of-place Artifacts (OOPArts). Sometimes there is a reasonable explanation for the object, but other times, you are just left scratching your head.

A personal highlight for me was seeing the actual Antikythera device in a Greek museum (on my 50th birthday).

Sometimes the explanation is that our ancestors were far more clever than we give them credit for.
[quote]On Sep 7, 2019, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
I'm definitely fascinated by Out-of-place Artifacts (OOPArts). Sometimes there is a reasonable explanation for the object, but other times, you are just left scratching your head.

A personal highlight for me was seeing the actual Antikythera device in a Greek museum (on my 50th birthday).

Sometimes the explanation is that our ancestors were far more clever than we give them credit for. [/quote]

They built roads and structures that lasted thousands of years, and then the modern engineers were invented and everything changed.
I've several Out-of-place Artifacts at the Surnateum (like a Sao culture terracotta head from the XIIth century representing a sauropod (the Mokele Mbembe?)or a flower money from Central Africa that looks perfectly like a Kraken...
The interest of those artefacts is that they open to lot of strange scenarios and theories that "may" be right. A gold mine for the bizarrist.
Http://logs.surnateum.com/?p=2879

In French, but the photos tell it all.
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Sep 8, 2019 01:57PM)
And now, this just in:
Archaeologists find 2,100-year-old 'iPhone' buried in a grave in Russian 'Atlantis'
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1175302/archaeologists-find-old-phone-grave-russian-atlantis-natasha-fashionista
[quote]On Sep 8, 2019, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
And now, this just in:
Archaeologists find 2,100-year-old 'iPhone' buried in a grave in Russian 'Atlantis'
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1175302/archaeologists-find-old-phone-grave-russian-atlantis-natasha-fashionista [/quote]
It certainly does have an uncanny resemblance to a modern iPhone.
Does the battery still works? :)
[quote]On Sep 9, 2019, The Curator wrote:
Does the battery still works? :) [/quote]

Yes, but the line is dead so it only calls dead people.