(Close Window)
Topic: Black Door by Riccardo Berdini
Hey guys, Penguin Magic is releasing what I believe is possibly the best version of the switching envelope available. These sold out at Magic Live so if you attended you may have seen them.

Double envelopes aren't new but these are very good, and from just about the best I have found out there. These envelopes are black, just bigger than a playing card, andlocking, so you can place an object inside and in the action of closing the envelope it performs a switch and locks.

The spectator can then open the envelope themselves revealing the forced or swapped object.

Riccardo teaches several card effects, and a few billet routines on the video. I love how clean and direct you can get with this. Place a borrowed bill inside and divine the serial number, or you can vanish playing cards inside the spectator's hands.

I have performed a chair test with double envelopes for the past few years. I'm going to trade from my homemade envelopes to these. They make everything much simpler and easier to do. I have also run into some issues with people taking apart my homemade envelopes. After I was told the secret to Black Door and I still couldn't access the compartment without knowing the secret thing you had to do to open it. After learning what you had to do it was a piece of cake.

I'm stoked for this!
Link?
Google didn't find a link either, but it found this video.

[youtube]LGf31ENDaz8[/youtube]
Nothing on the Penguin site and the "video" above won't be working until tomorrow. I can barely contain my excitement. Another black switch envelope. Woo. Hoo.
This envelope is great. Iíve been using it for about a year now. It has many uses in both magic and mentalism!
Here's the envelope and a demonstration of the switch. The main trailer will be posted tomorrow when the envelopes become available to the general public.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B16esJPl0YI/?igshid=guljbtpb1a5y
[quote]I can barely contain my excitement. Another black switch envelope. Woo. Hoo. [/quote]

Black Door is good, no hype. I think it would fair well when compared to just about anything other envelope out there that does a similar thing.
1. Does it has to be black? Canít you make it in manila?

2. Is it DIY? Or you buy refills?
Just checked and the link is here.

2 envelopes, $40, many routines:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12449
[quote]On Sep 2, 2019, Maxyedid wrote:
1. Does it has to be black? Canít you make it in manila?

2. Is it DIY? Or you buy refills? [/quote]

1. It's only in black for the time being. I'm pretty sure it will stay in black as well. The black hides part of the locking mechanism to an extent.

2. There is no DIY at all. The envelopes come ready to work out of the box. These envelopes do not seal and you do not destroy them in any way between performances. So, they will last longer than some classic versions where you have to rip the envelope open. A new envelope could last you hundreds of performances.

Refills will be available once Penguin can assess the popularity of the gimmick. The details are still being discussed.
Looks great. The spectators are handling the envelope freely. The fact that the magician is bold enough to perform a card change effect using the envelope and the spec is the one that takes out the card is a great sellin point, he instantly suspected the envelope but looked inside and was fooled.. wow
Is anyone stocking this in the UK?
[quote]On Sep 3, 2019, Manos Kartsakis wrote:
Is anyone stocking this in the UK? [/quote]

Be good if they are. Fingers crossed.
Would be great if it's in the usual manila colours. I perform as a mentalist and I would prefer them to be brown, since black envelopes are really not commonly used in my area...
[quote]On Sep 3, 2019, stanz wrote:
Would be great if it's in the usual manila colours. I perform as a mentalist and I would prefer them to be brown, since black envelopes are really not commonly used in my area... [/quote]

Yeah, as I said earlier it's only available in black at the moment. This is necessary because the black helps hide some of the method.

[quote]On Sep 3, 2019, StatingTheObvious wrote:
[quote]On Sep 3, 2019, IAIN wrote:
Except that people can buy all kinds of coloured envelopes in physical and online shops really really easily...if there was no market for them, they wouldn't be sold... [/quote]

No one says they cannot be bought. We said they are not commonly used. And they are not commonly used. Thanks for joining in though. [/quote]

Black envelopes ARE commonly used by mentalists. Seeing how this is a product made for mentalists I don't see it as an issue. Even if they are not commonly used by the general public, they are commonly available. I recieved an invitation recently in a black envelope with metallic ink a little while back. Even if it seems suspicious, the envelope can take quite a lot of inspection. It looks and acts like a normal envelope that just happens to be black.

If you are worried that it looks odd, there are many mentalists out there that use gimmicked and ungimmicked colored envelopes in their work. Here are some examples.

Max Maven using a black envelope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9QVP3cn3jc

Derren Brown using a red envelope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28rNuaSj7Pc

Marc Paul using bright yellow envelopes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDQjAI7cfZA

I've seen John Archer use bright blue and orange envelopes in this routine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2gGbuHVTNU

I'm sure you are not the only ones that don't love the color but, for now, Black Door is black. I don't see this as a problem. I don't think we'll see a "Brown Door" anytime soon, though I suppose it is possible. We just might have to wait a while.
Here's a free lesson :
Don't order anything online if you have just got up from a nap-I just ordered a video called "Backdoor" by mistake.
40 dollars and you get only 2 small envelopes ? So if you want to do a bank night type routine, you have to buy for 120 dollars ? It seems very expensive...
Think about pairing this with Avalanche. You place a blank card in the envelope and hand it to the spectator. You use Avalanche to force a card and make it disappear cleanly from the deck. And now the blank card they have been holding from the start is their missing card.
Looks super clean. A definite purchase for me.
[quote]On Sep 3, 2019, Luccky wrote:
40 dollars and you get only 2 small envelopes? So if you want to do a bank night type routine, you have to buy for 120 dollars? It seems very expensive... [/quote]

A bank night style routine is taught using just 2 envelopes.

The manufacturing process is expensive.

At Magic LIVE, Penguin discussed pricing the sets of refills that would make each envelope cost somewhere from $5-10. The details have not been nailed down yet.
This sounds like Quiver but perhaps more organic.

Best

Steve
I placed my order immediately after seeing this. Steve Conner's comment is right on the money...It looks similar to Quiver, but is more organic. Moreover, you can place a full-sized playing card inside without having to bend it. Utility props like this generally offer excellent value because their uses are limited only by your imagination. I also liked that replacements will be available at a considerable discount.
[quote]On Sep 3, 2019, The Mac wrote:
Here's a free lesson :
Don't order anything online if you have just got up from a nap-I just ordered a video called "Backdoor" by mistake. [/quote]

Now THAT'S funny!!!
How durable are the envelopes? I would be a little nervous handing them to a spectator. Do they tear easily?
[quote]On Sep 3, 2019, Luccky wrote:
40 dollars and you get only 2 small envelopes ? So if you want to do a bank night type routine, you have to buy for 120 dollars ? It seems very expensive... [/quote]

More than you think....What about the money you have to put into the envelopes?
[quote]On Sep 3, 2019, Firestorm60 wrote:
How durable are the envelopes? I would be a little nervous handing them to a spectator. Do they tear easily? [/quote]

These look great, just about ready to buy- but this is a good question. I'm curious as to how freely they can be handled buy the spec in general-otherwise, why not stick to the tried and true double-ended 'lopes? There is a point in the vid where you can make out how things work(or at least where they work), so I'd like to know how securely things are 'locked away.' If the spec handles the evelope in the wrong way, will the secret be revealed?
Bought it at Magic Live from Brent Braun and it is a clever utility.
[quote]On Sep 3, 2019, Jared wrote:
I placed my order immediately after seeing this. Steve Conner's comment is right on the money...It looks similar to Quiver, but is more organic. Moreover, you can place a full-sized playing card inside without having to bend it. Utility props like this generally offer excellent value because their uses are limited only by your imagination. I also liked that replacements will be available at a considerable discount. [/quote]

It is similar to Quiver in many ways. I think they are both quality devices and they each have their own uses. If I wanted to carry a switching device with me, I'd use Quiver. I personally feel it would be awkward to use multiple wallets in one routine and prefer the envelopes on stage or in a formal setting. If I have a routine that needs multiple switches I think Black Door is the way to go. Also, I think it feels less suspect. A small thin envelope seems very unassuming.
[quote]On Sep 3, 2019, Calvin826 wrote:
[quote]On Sep 3, 2019, Firestorm60 wrote:
How durable are the envelopes? I would be a little nervous handing them to a spectator. Do they tear easily? [/quote]

These look great, just about ready to buy- but this is a good question. I'm curious as to how freely they can be handled buy the spec in general-otherwise, why not stick to the tried and true double-ended 'lopes? There is a point in the vid where you can make out how things work(or at least where they work), so I'd like to know how securely things are 'locked away.' If the spec handles the evelope in the wrong way, will the secret be revealed? [/quote]

Good questions for sure.

The paper is the same as a high-quality paper envelope. It can tear and it is not made of Tyvek or anything super durable like that.

As far as getting into the secret pocket, if you don't know how to get in it is very difficult to figure it out. At Magic LIVE they handed me an envelope, told me that it was a double envelope and I still couldn't get into it. Then, when I learned the secret thing you have to do yo open it, I could do it with one hand before the convention was over.

Contrast this with an old method I have used. I have used a set of DIY double envelopes for years in my stage shows. More than once I have been distracted and found a spectator had completely disassembled my envelope when I asked them to remove what was inside. I just don't see how that is possible with Black Door. There's no way to accidentally open the secret spot, and even if they know what they are looking for it's difficult to open without knowing the right combination of moves.

The "lock" is VERY effective and the envelope with stand up to many uses and performances as long as it is taken care of.
Reminds me of the teleport envelope from Ted Lesley, but taken into the 21st century. So looking forward to this!
Looks great. Any chance of larger versions being made? Or would this be possible for purchasers to make themselves if they had decent DIY skills?
Can this be used the same way as a Himber wallet or is only a 1 time switch?
[quote]On Sep 3, 2019, Recoplon wrote:
Can this be used the same way as a Himber wallet or is only a 1 time switch? [/quote]

You can switch it, and switch it back without a problem if you are doing the opening and closing.

At any point, the spectator can only open it and get to only one of the two pockets. The spectator can not get into the locked pocket, but the magician can open it and dump the contents into the spectator's hand without a problem.
No, this is not the kind of thing you can recreate easily. Some of you have skills with gaffs and paper, maybe you'll be able to do it, but I think even those who are pretty crafty will have a difficult time recreating the envelopes.

Alas, the need for refills.
This looks really good. I have one question: in the trailer, only the magician puts the card in the envelope. I understand why you cannot give the ďemptyĒ envelope to the spectator for them to put the card in by themselves. But, is it possible for the magician to hold the ďemptyĒ envelope open, with the mouth of the envelope facing the spectator, and have the spectator put the card into the envelope themselves? Or would this risk them seeing something they shouldnít? Thanks!
[quote]On Sep 3, 2019, AndrewI wrote:
This looks really good. I have one question: in the trailer, only the magician puts the card in the envelope. I understand why you cannot give the ďemptyĒ envelope to the spectator for them to put the card in by themselves. But, is it possible for the magician to hold the ďemptyĒ envelope open, with the mouth of the envelope facing the spectator, and have the spectator put the card into the envelope themselves? Or would this risk them seeing something they shouldnít? Thanks! [/quote]

You could do this, there is something they could see but it's not something that with arouse too much suspicion. With the magician's help the spectator can put stuff in or remove the contents of the locked side.

They don't need the magicians help at all to access the other side.
[quote]On Sep 3, 2019, goatears wrote:
No, this is not the kind of thing you can recreate easily. Some of you have skills with gaffs and paper, maybe you'll be able to do it, but I think even those who are pretty crafty will have a difficult time recreating the envelopes.
Alas, the need for refills. [/quote]

I've been making this type of envelope since 1971, when I called it Switcheroo. It is easily made from most types of envelopes, and the advantage of making it yourself is that you can choose the size, shape and color of the envelope. Of course, in 1971, I was using a low tech solution and it still works just as well today.
[quote]On Sep 4, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
[quote]On Sep 3, 2019, goatears wrote:
Alas, the need for refills. [/quote]

I've been making this type of envelope since 1971, when I called it Switcheroo. It is easily made from most types of envelopes, and the advantage of making it yourself is that you can choose the size, shape and color of the envelope. Of course, in 1971, I was using a low tech solution and it still works just as well today. [/quote]

Jim, is your switcheroo a locking envelope and spectator proof.

Best

Steve
Yes, Steven. That is what this discussion has been about. Switcheroo just uses different technology to bring the locking envelope about. To the spectator, both of these appear to be the same. However, neither method is "spectator proof"; just be satisfied if you can fool the dickens out of them. That's your job as a magician.
Even though I already had one, I just purchased because I think it would be amazing to have multiple. Iíve only had 1 this past year and there were a ton of uses already.. But 2 or 3 of these opens up a huge amount of possibilities.

Also, these could be made yourself. But itís not something Iíd do, mostly because I just donít think Iíd be able to make it as well. However, I did want to make a big version of this. I think it could definitely be possible with a large envelope.
Definitely going to get this- I already have a few routines of mine that would benefit from it.
[quote]On Sep 4, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
However, neither method is "spectator proof"[/quote]

Jim, with all due respect, I'm sure your envelope works great as a switching envelope. Obviously, the idea of a switching envelope isn't new, mentalists and spiritualists have been using these for hundreds of years. There are many that lock as well. I have used several in my own work, and I have never seen a better envelope, for my purposes, than Black Door. I'd love to see yours at some point.

I want to be clear, Black Door is about as close to "spectator proof" as I have ever seen. I'd even go as far as to say that it is basically magician proof. I was handed the envelope, told what it was, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to open the secret compartment. Once I learned the secret method to get in, it was super easy. It was like learning the passcode.

Black Door can go through quite a lot of inspection without anything being noticed, more than any envelope I am aware of that doesn't get destroyed with each use.
I'm interested, but will wait until the extra envelopes are available.

Perhaps an early package deal of product and extra envelopes would increase sales? I would hate to buy this and have the envelopes discontinued...
[quote]On Sep 4, 2019, Animated Puppets wrote:
I'm interested, but will wait until the extra envelopes are available.

Perhaps an early package deal of product and extra envelopes would increase sales? I would hate to buy this and have the envelopes discontinued... [/quote]

Yeah, I understand. The routine that I'm looking to do with this requires 9 envelopes. After performing a bit with Black Door I really think that they are the way to go.
Black Door, sold out at Magic LIVE and sold out online in 24 hours.

Penguin put aside a small supply to sell at Penguin MAXX East 2019. So, if you didn't get a chance to purchase them online yet the fastest way to get ahold of them would be to attend MAXX while Penguin awaits another shipment.

Here are the details on MAXX:

MAXX EAST 2019
September 13-14, 2019
Hilton Hasbrouck Heights/Meadowlands
650 Terrace Ave, Hasbrouck Heights, NJ 07604

Headliners: Max Maven, Dan Harlan, Jason England, R. Paul Wilson, Garrett Thomas, Nick Locapo, Erik Tait, and Brent Braun

Dealers: Joe Rindfleisch, Philly Magic (Dan Hauss), Meir Yedid, and Abracadabra Magic Shop

If you can't attend the convention, refills, and a new shipment will be coming to Penguin it will just take some time.
Here's an uncut performance of Black Door if you are interested.

Here are a couple of things that stand out:
-He performs the trick twice.
-The reset is super fast.
-The participant handles and examines the envelope quite a bit.
-He basically has the spectator remove the contents of both envelopes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrK-4IpHOZU
Envelopes can only be possibly made in a certain number of ways . I think this is based very much on a very old principle that I have certainly read up on to a certain degree before imho . I also have made 100 envelopes in the space of one hour that yes you can only use once but they are perfect and fully examinable and cost me one hour of my life and £2 in monetary terms . Having said that I will buy this as the money doesnít bother me and I am interested how really new this is . I canít believe itís not made in Tyvek ? Actually I can as they will be wanting refills to be bought Gaz 🙂
By the end of Magic Live the demo envelopes were starting to tear - they must have been demoed several hundred times before this happened

Ed
Are there any DIY switching envelopes that you can recommend? Especially if the spectators can open it.
Mark Leveridge is a great resource for some , regards Gaz 🙂
I believe his book is called Forever flapping.
Indeed it is Glenn , and itís a good un Gaz 🙂
From the first part of the instructional video Iíve been able to watch this looks like a winner.
The quality and durability of the envelopes will be the deciding factor.
Hopefully refills will be available and affordable.
Just so you may have another option: Blake Vogt has for sale a 4 way envelope...A little cheaper (but you do only get one) and it is made out of Tyvek so it should have good durability:

https://www.facebook.com/blakevogtmagic/videos/2353393044696579/

https://blake-vogt.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/number-4-envelope
I will buy this and as I love arts and crafts take it apart and make my own refills out of Tyvek for my own use . Best wishes Gaz 🙂
[quote]On Sep 5, 2019, dman11 wrote:
Just so you may have another option: Blake Vogt has for sale a 4 way envelope...A little cheaper (but you do only get one) and it is made out of Tyvek so it should have good durability:

https://blake-vogt.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/number-4-envelope [/quote]

Now this one... I mean, 4. Is AWESOME!!!!!
Iím in!!!!
Ordered from Penguin. Should be a nice substitute for the double sided envelope provided with 'Will to Read."

https://blake-vogt.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/number-4-envelope [/quote]
Thatís a great product, but it doesnít quite do the same. Itís better used as a multiple out rather than a switch in my opinion. You canít put a card in Blakeís envelope, then open it again at the same end and take out a different card. Yes you could discreetly flip it end for end, but if you go from putting it in one end to taking it out one side then the spec is likely to notice somethingís up!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 6, 2019 12:12AM)
They would. (Unless you use misdirection, like a beautiful piece of performance art that refers to Dante. :lol:)
[quote]On Sep 5, 2019, AndrewI wrote:

Thatís a great product, but it doesnít quite do the same. Itís better used as a multiple out rather than a switch in my opinion. You canít put a card in Blakeís envelope, then open it again at the same end and take out a different card. Yes you could discreetly flip it end for end, but if you go from putting it in one end to taking it out one side then the spec is likely to notice somethingís up! [/quote]

Another important thing to consider is that the spectator cannot handle it. Two different products indeed. Both great in my opinion.

And... it's already sold out.
It's nice to be able to make your own variation Switcheroo from materials found at any Dollar Store. https://www.magicnook.com/WizJournal/WJ-40ALL.htm#Switcheroo The Dollar Store won't run out any time soon. Note, this does not use the same method or technology as Black Door, but it may work for you depending on your requirements.
I think the problem for Black door is definitely durability... Even if you are clear with your instructions it only takes one person not listening and rip the thing open and you're $20 down...

The Vogt envelope, definitely a different job but the tyvek is a smart touch...
I am hoping when mine arrive I can fathom out how to recreate one in Tyvek or no tear paper . Sounds a great utility as does Blakeís , best wishes Gaz 🙂
I ordered one, got bit by the gimmick bug. But hey, I guess I'll review it on the podcast! I now have a great excuse to buy random magic/mentalism products.

I do have a very deceptive 1 off version I make myself where the participant can open it themselves and the envelope is never sealed, but it only goes one direction so I guess this is a little different.
The PayPal button has just been added to Switcheroo at The Magic Nook, but make sure you have been verified as a magician or you won't be able to purchase it.
[quote]On Sep 6, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
The PayPal button has just been added to Switcheroo at The Magic Nook, but make sure you have been verified as a magician or you won't be able to purchase it. [/quote]

Why you don't create a thread for yourself instead of hijacking this one?
Thanks.
I received Black Door today. Not bad, I guess. Not going to replace the ones I make though.

I avoided watching the vid so I could see if I could open them without knowing how they work. I very quickly got it open, but I suppose I'm fairly familiar with the concepts at work here (I saw what it was immediately).

And yes, IMO, easy to make replacements/different sizes provided you find the right materials.

I'll give a more detailed review on the next Mystery Arts Podcast (see my sig).
Thanks Last Laugh I didnít think it could be a completely new concept as it would be impossible imo .
I pretty much know every permutation of an envelope already .
Nevertheless I am looking forward to receiving them and hopefully being proved wrong again 😉Gaz 🙂
I received Black Door a few days ago and have watched the training video twice. A few thoughts;

It is made of quite sturdy paper stock. In fact when I put a playing card in the envelope I could not detect the card. Of course you do need to manage how the spectator handles the envelope but Riccardo discuses that in some detail.

The switching technique is quite undetectable. After handling the envelope only a few times I was quite comfortable with it. And of course the there are so many applications which he discusses well and throughly.

It would be quite difficult/impossible for me to replicate or other magicians with limited arts and crafts skills.

Iím buying a few more!
[quote]On Sep 6, 2019, bob44leo wrote:

It would be quite difficult/impossible for me to replicate or other magicians with limited arts and crafts skills.

[/quote]

Assuming you had the envelopes and the other thing (Which is available on Amazon), I'm quite sure you could do it with only a pair of scissors. It really is very simple.

I just made one out of a black coin envelope. I happened to have some of the other thing on hand. It took a few minutes.

However- big important caveat. Riccardo says that the envelopes are custom made (the envelopes themselves, before they are gimmicked) and they do have a slight difference from standard coin envelopes that make them slightly better for this application. There is a workaround though...
[quote]On Sep 6, 2019, no2ss wrote:

And... it's already sold out. [/quote]

And...they are back in stock, lol. In fact, he posted on instagram that this is the last weekend these will be available AND you can get one free with any physical product order on his site by adding it to the cart and using coupon code Free. So, I ordered one and got another Free.
Thanks for mentioning that...just nabbed a couple of no4s...
Yeah, very cool. Thanks for the heads up on that dman!
Just to clarify, this is for Blakeís 4 way envelope and you have add 2 to your cart and using the discount code one will be marked as free upon checkout.
Also, it can work for other items as well. Doesnít have to be 2 envelopes.
When I get home will check it out (Blakeís)

As it depends on what the postage to the UK is - as sometimes the postage is very high (no fault of the USA shops itís just how it is)
Thx for the heads up on the ďNumber 4Ē, I just grabbed 2 with the Free code
It's roughly 14 dollars postage...so if you use the offer and get two, it works out at around 36 quid all in...
For Bank Night I recommend the method described in Spellbinder's "Banker's Dream" from The Wizards' Journal #20 ( https://www.magicnook.com/WizJ20/wizj20-04BankersDream.htm ) which uses ordinary security envelopes from the Dollar Store and doesn't risk the loss of your money from having a spectator rip open his envelope any way he pleases. "Switcheroo" is not recommended for mentalists; it is for magicians performing magical transformations, transpositions, appearances, vanishes and the like. Mentalists require a different degree of trust in props to maintain their believability with their audiences than either "Switcheroo" OR "Black Door" can provide. That's my opinion. I do have one situation in which a mentalist can reliably use a switching envelope, in the case of switching dollar bills to reveal serial numbers because in that instance it doesn't seem as if anything has been switched at all. Other than that, leave the switchers for performing magic tricks, not mental miracles.
[quote]On Sep 7, 2019, IAIN wrote:
It's roughly 14 dollars postage...so if you use the offer and get two, it works out at around 36 quid all in... [/quote]

Thanks x
[quote]On Sep 7, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
For Bank Night I recommend the method described in Spellbinder's "Banker's Dream" from The Wizards' Journal #20 ( https://www.magicnook.com/WizJ20/wizj20-04BankersDream.htm ) which uses ordinary security envelopes from the Dollar Store and doesn't risk the loss of your money from having a spectator rip open his envelope any way he pleases. "Switcheroo" is not recommended for mentalists; it is for magicians performing magical transformations, transpositions, appearances, vanishes and the like. Mentalists require a different degree of trust in props to maintain their believability with their audiences than either "Switcheroo" OR "Black Door" can provide. That's my opinion. I do have one situation in which a mentalist can reliably use a switching envelope, in the case of switching dollar bills to reveal serial numbers because in that instance it doesn't seem as if anything has been switched at all. Other than that, leave the switchers for performing magic tricks, not mental miracles. [/quote]

I know your just hi-jacking .... but Blakeís I would use as multiple outs not a magic effect

So I see it as a mentalists prop
[quote]On Sep 7, 2019, The Duster wrote:
[
I know your just hi-jacking .... but Blakeís I would use as multiple outs not a magic effect

So I see it as a mentalists prop [/quote]
HEíS just hi-jacking?? This thread is about black door, not Blakeís envelope 😀
He hijacks so many threads I'm sure he's on a watch-list...
[quote]On Sep 7, 2019, AndrewI wrote:
[quote]On Sep 7, 2019, The Duster wrote:
[

So I see it as a mentalists prop [/quote]
HEíS just hi-jacking?? This thread is about black door, not Blakeís envelope 😀 [/quote]

Yes heís hi-jacking .... heís trying to sell stuff

Me... Iím just derailing

X
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 7, 2019 04:03PM)
Can everybody please stop derailing threads that are hijacked that are commented on by people that are derailing by commenting?
No "hi-jacking" involved here, as the ignorant call it. The Magic Nook only sells to verified magicians, and I can see that none are present, so I'll be on my way.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hijack
No "hi-jacking" involved here, as the ignorant call it. The Magic Nook only sells to verified magicians, and I can see that none are present, so I'll be on my way.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hijack [/quote]

Yep that defined exactly what you are doing

You are stealing someone else's thread - you have taken it hostage - to try and sell your own stuff.

Silly question - why don't you just start your own thread. As that would seem like a good idea.

The reason people aren't 'attacking' Blake - is because he didn't come on here himself to push the item... it was other magicians helping magicians
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 8, 2019 01:17AM)
[quote]On Sep 8, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
No "hi-jacking" involved here, as the ignorant call it. The Magic Nook only sells to verified magicians, and I can see that none are present, so I'll be on my merry way [/quote]

:lol: So being one of the ignorant and not verified I take it you will not accept my inferior money?
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 8, 2019 01:30AM)
BTW If you spend any time here, you should know that implying Iain is not a magician isnít going to offend him ... at all ... :lol:
What you are doing is normal Cafť stuff and doesn't bother me.

That being said, use the proper contextual definition if you are going to call someone ignorant, lest you be guilty of it yourself.

[url=https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thread%20Hijacking]Thread Hijacking[/url] - A thread hijacking occurs when one or more individuals commenting on the original posting, go off topic, creating a separate conversation.

Jim,

What a pompous thing to say. I think myself, along with many others here, will make it a point not to purchase from your site. Yes, please be on your way.

-Paul
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 8, 2019 05:07PM)
Hold on, Paul. First things first. Are you a verified magician? Otherwise Iím afraid you are not worthy of talking to Jimmy.

How did you know my middle name is ďThe IgnorantĒ ? Thanks!!! Now everybody knows. 😡
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 9, 2019 12:46AM)
You must have accidentally mentioned it when filling out the verification form ...
I got my hands on the Black Door envelopes on Saturday. Theyíre great! Very easy to use, and very innocent looking. Theyíre quite well made, I have zero reservations about handing them out to an audience member. I have a feeling these are going to become a staple for a lot of people.
Thank you Mercury ---Can I ask, did you receive 1 or 2 gimmicked envelopes?
The package comes with 2 envelopes. Both gimmicked.
[quote]On Sep 9, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
You must have accidentally mentioned it when filling out the verification form ... [/quote]

😂😂😂😂 I knew I shouldnít have volunteered my personal information
On the latest episode of The Mystery Arts Podcast, I review Black Door.

You can listen on SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcast/07-mentalism-as-a-business-with-david-thiel

Also on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Stitcher, etc.
I received a set of Black Door envelopes and really like them. They're wonderfully deceptive and function exactly as described. I do hope that replacements are available at a fair price. However, as others have said, it is possible to construct your own, but if the replacements are priced reasonable then these could easily become a consumable staple for magicians and mentalists.
Ordering TWO SETS for four-way possibilities, monte routines, etc.! :jump:
[quote]On Sep 10, 2019, EZrhythm wrote:
Ordering TWO SETS for four-way possibilities, monte routines, etc.! :jump: [/quote]

I'm waiting for the additional envelopes to be offered and or a package deal. Why spend $80 when you don't need to?
At the risk of bringing back the trolls and critics of magician verification, I am returning long enough to thank Riccardo Berdini for "Black Door" (I just received mine in the hurricane delayed mail) and am glad to reassure everyone that it is nothing like my Switcheroo. However, a caveat - don't perform with all black envelopes. It does no harm to decorate the outsides of the envelopes as long as they remain black internally, and if you perform with an envelope with red stripes and I perform with a yellow envelope with green polka-dots it adds further distance to the idea that we might be employing the same techniques to accomplish several different end results. OK, now I leave you to your ... whatever it is you do here.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 10, 2019 01:53PM)
[quote]On Sep 10, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
At the risk of bringing back the trolls and critics of magician verification [/quote]

Don't worry. Every mentalist loves polka dots.
I will personally put unicorn stickers and glitter all over mine :)

//Dan
I'll cover mine in Harry Monk...
You do you, Iain... it will certainly be unique :D

Maybe we should create a big database of everyones different envelope decorations, so that we don't step on each others toes. Because I don't want some guy see me perform with a black envelope with unicorns and glitter, and then later see someone else with the same decorations, and thus suspecting these are some special envelopes. If only there was a way of avoiding this? Maybe just make them look like regular envelopes, so no one will pay attention to them?

//Dsn
Iím keeping it traditional. Mine are covered in edible sprinkles with a bit of paint chips.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 10, 2019 04:31PM)
We could perhaps humbly ask Jim to use his database, the one where we are filed under ďNot Verified & IgnorantĒ. (Although Iain might be filed under ďStickyĒ by now.)
I just hope someone starts posting where to buy other, lesser quality envelopes that aren't really anything to do with the initial post; and then have a massive hissy fit when asked to stop...
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 10, 2019 05:04PM)
Oh stop dreaming your crazy, impossible dreams! That will never happen on a forum full of gnorant people, where the unverified are weeded out.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 10, 2019 05:18PM)
(gnorant being the opposite of ignorant, but Iím sure you linguistic-wonder-words people got that)
Rather than switching, would it be possible to show the envelope empty, maybe let the spectator feel inside to verify and then have something appear?

That was the only thing I used quiver for and it would be nicer to use an envelope for my purpose.
Yeah, it would work, though it should be noted that with Quiver, both sides look identical. With Black Door, one side wouldn't be as good to have scrutinized.
At the risk of bringing back the trolls and critics of magician verification, I am returning long enough to thank Riccardo Berdini for "Black Door" (I just received mine in the hurricane delayed mail) and am glad to reassure everyone that it is nothing like my Switcheroo. . [/quote]

Everybody has been focusing on the joy of patterned envelopes that this hasn't been given fair attention.

I don't think there was any danger anywhere that anyone thought this would be anything like your product.
David, have you been verified by the magical-envelope fraternity recently? If not, please remove your post or at least post a link to some aub-par not really related envelope work please...
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed or enveloped!

Unless the envelope is like, really, really, pretty.
I think a multi coloured spangly envelope is far less suspicious than a black one...
I think at the very least getting the glitter glue stick out to add some showbiz sparkle to the black envelopes is necessary.
For some time many mentalism releases claimed to "push the envelope" in some way. Now is the era for taking that pushed envelope and colouring the bejaysus out of it.
And this is preferable instead of Quiver, how?
[quote]On Sep 11, 2019, EZrhythm wrote:
And this is preferable instead of Quiver, how? [/quote]

I guess it's context. It is for me. Some things don't naturally get put inside an envelope but do a coin purse and vice versa...

You could technically put a mini playing card in a coin purse, but should you? That kinda thing...
Are there cheaper ways to achieve the same effect with decorated envelopes? I've been religiously following the thread but it's still not clear to me
[quote]On Sep 12, 2019, paperinick wrote:
Are there cheaper ways to achieve the same effect with decorated envelopes? I've been religiously following the thread but it's still not clear to me [/quote]
You could buy my effect "Sucker!" for a couple of cents less.
Basically and without giving the method away at all, you take a regular envelope, and after putting the card inside, you point to the window and shout "Ooooh - look at that!!" whilst removing card one and inserting card two.
Job done and everything can be inspected.
For this method I do NOT recommend decorating the envelope as this can attract the audience and remove them from the necessary misdirection.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 12, 2019 12:10AM)
Andrew1, Iíd like to pre-order, but I canít find a verification form.
[quote]On Sep 11, 2019, EZrhythm wrote:
And this is preferable instead of Quiver, how? [/quote]

I think if you want the spec to open the envelope, this is preferable to Quiver.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 12, 2019 01:37AM)
:lol: nicely understated explanation
This appears locked at the off and only unlocked for the switch if needed . That move appears to be when the magician needs to open the envelope imo .
If the prediction goes the way you wish the spectator just opens normally . I am speculating as I donít think this locks both ways Gaz 🙂 ps I will
find out very soon now
Correct speculation as usual Gaz.
I now have both Black Door and Blake Vogt's Number 4 Envelope.
Both have pros and cons but I prefer Black Door overall but of course it only has half the number of outs so that is a big disadvantage.

I can attest that! This nook refused to sell me a product
[quote]On Sep 20, 2019, videoman wrote:
Both have pros and cons but I prefer Black Door overall but of course it only has half the number of outs so that is a big disadvantage. [/quote]

Which makes it more of a switch device than an outs tool perhaps
[quote]On Sep 20, 2019, saysold1 wrote:
[quote]On Sep 20, 2019, videoman wrote:
Both have pros and cons but I prefer Black Door overall but of course it only has half the number of outs so that is a big disadvantage. [/quote]

Which makes it more of a switch device than an outs tool perhaps [/quote]

Yes Brett, that's a good way to put it.
Thanks guys for your input , I have preordered from Penguin and I agree itís a switch but looks a good one Gaz 🙂
There is a nice way to do more than 2 outs taught in the download. It's attributed to Colin Cloud. I've used it with 4 myself.
Oh cool, I need to finish watching the video.
I already had a particular use in mind for mine so I got right into that.

FYI, for those with decent A&C experience you can certainly make additional envelopes as long as you have, or know where to get, the secret ingredient. I unfortunately do not know of a source, but I haven't tried looking either. With care the envelope should hold up pretty well.

However, I did shorten the length of one envelope about 3/4" because I wanted it to fit in my wallet. This means it will no longer hold playing cards or business cards but I only needed it to hold a folded billet.
The secret ingredient is easily acquired on Amazon. You can also use something else that's commonly available by using scissors and glue.
I figured as much since there aren't many items which are not available on Amazon. :)

But I had completely forgotten about a stash of the required material that I had in storage and hadn't used or seen for a while. I dug it out and there is plenty to make envelopes for days.
Coincidentally, in the same box as the secret ingredient was a ton of black construction paper I had also forgotten about. Now I'm starting to wonder if maybe I had made of some of these envelopes or something very similar a long time ago??????

Well, I probably won't need to make any for quite a while but if and when I do then I am all set.
Being in the mystery arts for a while you tend to have stashes of a wide range of esoteric goods!
My set is wearing out from the one hand practicing. Has anyone used clear tape on the outer edges of the envelopes by chance?

Decomposing Card Stock
I am still awaiting mine from penguin , but I am certainly going to use some no tear clear matt tape on one of mine to experiment .
I have also ordered some Tyvek A4 paper to try to make one up if I can in that . Plus also some normal paper spares providing I like it when it arrives .
It looks great on the tutorial Gaz 🙂
Good idea Gaz.....yeah no tear. I have used tape on other paper props in the past and never been questioned...as long as it does not hinder the operation of course.
[quote]On Sep 3, 2019, Jared wrote:
...It looks similar to Quiver but is more organic. [/quote]

You folks keep saying but more organic.

I thought quiver was genuine leather ....surely that's organic as it was on a living animal.

.....oops there I go again being a typical British to$$er deliberately taking things to heart and using the wrong meaning. :)

LOL :lol: Have a great day.

PS I have ordered this too.... looks good.
[quote]On Sep 4, 2019, goatears wrote:
Here's an uncut performance of Black Door if you are interested.

Here are a couple of things that stand out:
-He performs the trick twice.
-The reset is super fast.
-The participant handles and examines the envelope quite a bit.
-He basically has the spectator remove the contents of both envelopes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrK-4IpHOZU [/quote]

Man how stong would that be to convince them that you can influence them the other way - put their money in and every time you could influence them to get theor money back. Nice!

Great demo - very good indeed.
[quote]On Sep 8, 2019, Paul Rathbun wrote:

Jim,

What a pompous thing to say. I think myself, along with many others here, will make it a point not to purchase from your site. Yes, please be on your way.

-Paul [/quote]

he he he he.... I liked it but I want to point out how funny I found your comment, Paul! Very astute (feel free to post a link to the meaning of astute if you feel the need.
At the risk of bringing back the trolls and critics of magician verification, I am returning long enough to thank Riccardo Berdini for "Black Door" (I just received mine in the hurricane delayed mail) and am glad to reassure everyone that it is nothing like my Switcheroo. However, a caveat - don't perform with all black envelopes. It does no harm to decorate the outsides of the envelopes as long as they remain black internally, and if you perform with an envelope with red stripes and I perform with a yellow envelope with green polka-dots it adds further distance to the idea that we might be employing the same techniques to accomplish several different end results. OK, now I leave you to your ... whatever it is you do here. [/quote]

But your version of it will no doubt be available on the magic nook just as soon as one of the wiz kids works out how to rip it off.
[quote]On Sep 7, 2019, IAIN wrote:
He hijacks so many threads I'm sure he's on a watch-list... [/quote]

I sometimes wonder if ther may be other types of watch list too?
You may note that I am late to this thread - I have read it all the way through and well I had to comment on some of the posts.

All thoughts are my own and I take full responsibility for my words. If anyone is unclear or thinks I may be wrong please feel free to let me know via PM and I will make sure I have made my point clear - I am happy to reword something if needed.
[quote]On Sep 10, 2019, EZrhythm wrote:
Ordering TWO SETS for four-way possibilities, monte routines, etc.! :jump: [/quote]
Same here.
The ma..ets are not that strong and most bills tend to spring the compartment back open from my experience . Best wishes Gaz 🙂
[quote]On Oct 20, 2019, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
The ma..ets are not that strong and most bills tend to spring the compartment back open from my experience . Best wishes Gaz 🙂 [/quote]

US are no problem. Just crease them flat.

Best
Yes I think itís the polymer note issue in the UK and the £20 and the £50 paper ones are so big the folding of those still make it spring open . Better for playing cards at least in the UK imo Gaz 🙂
Purchased it and like it having used it for card switching.
Rather than producing refills perhaps bring out a mark 2 that is made of a more durable paper. I have found I have to be careful when placing the envelope into pockets both to avoid damagie but also and to keep clean and presentable. Curry grease is not a good look. Note to myself donít place on restaurant table.
[quote]On Nov 6, 2019, Firestorm60 wrote:
Rather than producing refills perhaps bring out a mark 2 that is made of a more durable paper. I have found I have to be careful when placing the envelope into pockets both to avoid damagie but also and to keep clean and presentable. Curry grease is not a good look. Note to myself donít place on restaurant table. [/quote]

I keep mine in my monte wallet, that way it takes up no additional room and protects at the same time.

Best

Steve
[quote]On Nov 6, 2019, Firestorm60 wrote:
Rather than producing refills perhaps bring out a mark 2 that is made of a more durable paper. I have found I have to be careful when placing the envelope into pockets both to avoid damagie but also and to keep clean and presentable. Curry grease is not a good look. Note to myself donít place on restaurant table. [/quote]

It is not that difficult to make replacements. I've been experimenting with a few improvement tweaks (for my planned usage) as well, even though the original is quite excellent. I will note that once I realized I could make competent replacements, it made me a lot less precious about how I used the originals, as I don't worry about them so much any more (of course, amusingly, those originals are still going strong).