(Close Window)
Topic: Big bang theory
Was there published mention of how they handled Teller's voice on the show?
Https://ew.com/tv/2018/05/10/big-bang-theory-finale-teller-speaks-stephen-hawking-tribute/
He was on a few episodes of the last season. And it looked like they cut away every time he spoke. So I was wondering who did the voice. :)
My guess is it is Teller's voice but disguised in some way.
Teller is one of the few people allowed a single-name on his American passport.
A pal of ours whos first name is Prince gets the Royal treatment.
I saw Teller speak a couple of times on BBT. In his first appearance, his wife (Kathy Bates) is constantly cutting him off as he's about to respond to a question. Near the end, she freaks out because the wedding is late, certain that Sheldon has run out on her daughter. (Actually, both of them have had a science breakthrough, and are in the back writing equations!) As she tells her husband to get up, they're going to get Amy and leave, Penny lashes into her that she's NOT going to ruin this day for Amy and she should shut up and sit down! Stunned, she looks at her husband and says; "Say something!" In a voice, raspy from lack of use, Teller looks at Penny and says; "Thank you."

There are two other episodes; one, he's supposed to be checking on Amy and Sheldon's apartment while they're on their honeymoon, he moved in completely to get away from his wife! In the other, Sheldon is trying to bond with him, but he's more interested in Howard and his cheezy magic tricks. In both cases, he speaks with no cut aways.
Hi Ed, did you watch the last season? It seemed like a running gag with cut-away during that character's moment of speaking.
I only saw him in the two episodes, we saw him speak both times.
Hmmm wish I kept them on the cable/PVR. Okay, I'll keep a watch for season 12 on reruns.
I have clamped my hands over my mouth. Having been accused of "pontificating" here on the Cafť, and having no desire to do so, I shall simply say that I choose to support the opinion of Pope Francis on the matter of Big Bang and Evolution.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Sep 19, 2019 06:31PM)
[quote]On Sep 4, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Was there published mention of how they handled Teller's voice on the show? [/quote]

For example look at 0:17 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arzVssxTuuc whose voice?
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Sep 19, 2019 09:26PM)
The question, about a TV character's voice, is about listening. :)
Https://the-big-bang-theory.com/episodeguide/gueststar/Teller/
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Sep 22, 2019 07:55PM)
Okay, and his voice?
"Teller almost never speaks while performing. There are exceptions, such as when the audience is not aware of it; for example, he provided the voice of "Mofo the psychic gorilla" in their early Broadway show with the help of a radio microphone cupped in his hand."

"Teller plays himself, with voice, in Showtime's Dice season 2, episode 4.[23] He also appeared in the season 11 finale of CBS's The Big Bang Theory as Amy's father. Throughout the show, he is prevented from speaking by his wife, played by Kathy Bates. Once Penny shuts her down, however, Teller tells her (albeit in a whisper) "Thank you." In the first episode of season 12 he participates in dialogues normally."

See Voice:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teller_(magician)#Voice
[quote]On Sep 19, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
[quote]On Sep 4, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Was there published mention of how they handled Teller's voice on the show? [/quote]

For example look at 0:17 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arzVssxTuuc whose voice? [/quote]

Why wouldn't that be Teller's voice? He's NOT appearing as "Teller" the magician, he's appearing as Amy's father.
The joke (and the charm) of casting him was in the fact that in his FIRST appearance (the wedding) he's cut off from speaking for 90% of the episode by his wife (Kathy Bates). But he does get two words at the end of that episode, and whenever he's seen without his wife, he appears to speak normally.
In the clip, Teller sounds pretty much just like I remember him sounding at the last convention I met him at.

FWIW, this article confirms he spoke in the 2018 season finale. And those (or at least most) of us who watched the following season, know he spoke in his appearances there as well.

https://ew.com/tv/2018/05/10/big-bang-theory-finale-teller-speaks-stephen-hawking-tribute/
I thought it was his voice on the clip and donít know why it wouldnít be.
Iím not sure that many outside of magic would think anything about him speaking.

Tom
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Sep 23, 2019 08:25PM)
[quote]On Sep 23, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:
I thought it was his voice on the clip and donít know why it wouldnít be. [/quote]P&T have pulled voice switches before. It seemed like their kind of prank. :) So I asked.
Yeah, but this isn't him being "Teller," this is him being a separate character. I don't think he'd pull anything on that kind of venue
[quote]On Sep 26, 2019, ed rhodes wrote:
Yeah, but this isn't him being "Teller," this is him being a separate character. I don't think he'd pull anything on that kind of venue [/quote]

Thatís what I was thinking too. Not talking is just a part of the act to most people and this wasnít to be taken as a part of the act.

But I could be wrong; I didnít know they had switched before.

Tom