(Close Window)
Topic: Roll by Chris Congreave
Chris Congreave has created a interactive and self-working mental card effect that works beautifully in any language. There is no memory work to be done making it easy to learn and go out to perform. You have the option to use it with or without dice depending on your style.

More info:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=65562

Best regards,
Titanas
It looks like the card says: "You will roll 14". This looks a lot like a not-so-clever force of both sides of two dice. I'm not asking for the method, but if what I said has something to do with the method, then I wouldn't be interested. Can anyone help me decide if this might be good for me, given what I just said? Anyone can PM me if you don't want to say something public.
Thanks.
KJ
They are actually normal dice which are included with this item, so you can begin performing straight away after learning. Also, there is an option to perform this effect without dice. as Titanas said.

Point to remember:
Works in any language
No duplicate cards
No long and short
No rough and smooth
No forces
Different numbers may be chosen
Different cards will be chosen
Instant reset
No memory work
May be performed on 1-3 spectators
Totally self-working!
Use with or without dice
It does not look like the number is forced. In the trailer the totals of three dice is being added together and they are even given the choice to re-roll. Several different totals are used in the trailer.

Mark
[quote]On Sep 13, 2019, 1KJ wrote:
It looks like the card says: "You will roll 14". This looks a lot like a not-so-clever force of both sides of two dice. I'm not asking for the method, but if what I said has something to do with the method, then I wouldn't be interested. Can anyone help me decide if this might be good for me, given what I just said? Anyone can PM me if you don't want to say something public.
Thanks.
KJ [/quote]
Maybe read the description and watch the trailer....
Wow - I already do (almost) this trick! I thought I had adapted it from something I read but I have no idea where... Maybe Iíll dig it out with a bit of searching (and maybe itís credited in this trick anyway).
I only use two dice, which slightly simplifies things. I use ordinary dice and ordinary cards from red and blue decks. So if this product works the same it could easily have been a download rather than a physical product. My working is perfectly consistent with the trailer video.
Very curious now!
Hi, I start by saying it is a great trick.
No force , you can do it with no dice and let spectator select the numbers on the dice.
That said, PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS WAS PUBLISH BEFORE WITH ANOTHER NAME:
*Roll was previously marketed as DieCeption By Chris Congreave - From Alakazam site.
So if you already have DieCeption this is the same trick.
Exactly true . Same trick- different name now _ good effect
[quote]On Sep 14, 2019, Eitay wrote:
Hi, I start by saying it is a great trick.
No force , you can do it with no dice and let spectator select the numbers on the dice.
That said, PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS WAS PUBLISH BEFORE WITH ANOTHER NAME:
*Roll was previously marketed as DieCeption By Chris Congreave - From Alakazam site.
So if you already have DieCeption this is the same trick. [/quote]
Ahhh thank you! Yes Iím sure thatís where I got my trick from, the free download from Alakazam actually included this I believe. I prefer it with two dice for the reveal method used in Roll but it is exactly the same trick otherwise. Cheers.
See Scott creasey's acaan
Alakazam put out a free sampler download and it had that effect on it. It is worth getting. It is a very good effect.
Allen
So if it was given as a free download, why would anyone buy this? However, I remember doing a similar trick (I'm guessing it works in a similar way) but it had the spectator write 2 single digit numbers down, when added, going thru deck one card had name of chosen card and the random number written on the back. Possibly from an early Harry Baron book (but could be wrong, but I'll have a search for it!). But the effect does appear similar.
[quote]On Sep 15, 2019, markymarkmagicuk wrote:
So if it was given as a free download, why would anyone buy this? However, I remember doing a similar trick (I'm guessing it works in a similar way) but it had the spectator write 2 single digit numbers down, when added, going thru deck one card had name of chosen card and the random number written on the back. Possibly from an early Harry Baron book (but could be wrong, but I'll have a search for it!). But the effect does appear similar. [/quote]
Totally agree. Aside from a way to sell some 50c dice and a combination of parts of a couple of $2 decks for fifteen times that price, there seems no justification for this when the method was already freely available. Unless thereís genuinely something new and original here?
As others have said before, it was originally released as "Dieception", but it also explained in full detail in his excellent book, "Congreaves Curiosities" (currently priced at $34.95 at Penguin magic). The deck is easy to construct as it only took me about 15-minutes to make. The effect itself is incredible (this will fool layperson's badly) and I was pleasantly surprised that it doesn't use rough/smooth, the reset is instant, and there's no sleight of hand required other than a double-undercut...This is HIGHLY recommended.
[quote]On Sep 14, 2019, mtstic44 wrote:
Alakazam put out a free sampler download and it had that effect on it. It is worth getting. It is a very good effect.
Allen [/quote]

Which free download was this? I have the "Zero to Hero 2 Lesson 1" which was the Alakazam Academy free download but Diception (similar to ROLL) is not on it.

TIA
Phil
Perhaps this should be in another thread but Lybrary just released the video for diception for $10.00

https://www.lybrary.com/diception-p-923291.html
It was the Alakazam Magic Academy Sampler DVD or download. I don't no if you can still get it.
Allen
[quote]On Sep 23, 2019, mtstic44 wrote:
It was the Alakazam Magic Academy Sampler DVD or download. I don't no if you can still get it.
Allen [/quote]

Thanks Allen! I found and followed the original link to the free dvd. It now lands on a blank page -- gone.
Phil
I'm sorry about that docguitarman . It was over a year ago. I wish they still had it because it had some good stuff on their from John Carey Chris Congreave Jamie Dawes and others
Allen
I usually like Alakazam tricks and their customer service has always been great. This time however they missed the boat a bit. The fact that this is an old Congreave effect, Die-Ception, is really only mentioned in rather small letters at the end of the description. In the trailer and in their vlog they act as if they have never seen this effect and are hyping it as if were brand new. I find that quite misleading. I have emailed them several times to ask if they would post their new handling into my account (I have purchased numerous effects from Alakazam) but have had no replies whatsoever. Disappointing, to say the least.
This is a great effect and I really like it. I wish that they would have said this in the trailer.
Rob, did you purchase Roll? Because if you did and they haven't giving you access to the handling, that's out of order and needs to be addressed. If you didn't, then why would they did you access? My response to you would be at or near the bottom of emails I would need to send.
To hopefully help clear some things up, Chris did say the reason this was re-released was aside from a few subtle additions, he was never compensated for the original release. So Itís good to actually support the creator this time... and itís a fantastic effect.
Actually TuneHV this is not true. Chris was contacted about him telling Alakazam he didnít get paid but didnít respond as he did get paid and evidence was also supplied to Peter Nardi that Chris received payment. So Chris sold the rights to a trick he was paid for by saying he never received payment. Your statement doesnít clear anything up.
[quote]On Oct 2, 2019, The Greek wrote:
Actually TuneHV this is not true. Chris was contacted about him telling Alakazam he didnít get paid but didnít respond as he did get paid and evidence was also supplied to Peter Nardi that Chris received payment. So Chris sold the rights to a trick he was paid for by saying he never received payment. Your statement doesnít clear anything up. [/quote]

😂
And if you believe that Iíve got a timeshare for sale.

I wasnít paid for my work, anyone who believes that should order some stuff from his website and see what turns up, or release a trick with him.
Chris you are saying you didnít get paid. What was the payment made to you on the 14th of August 2015. You need to stop telling people you are a victim when a full and final settlement was made to you and proof of payment was shown to Peter Nardi. You got sacked due to your dishonesty and all you are trying to do is make someone else out to be the dishonest one.

Chris received a full and final settlement for all work done after he got sacked and started spreading rumours. Donít detract from the matter at hand. You are saying you never got paid. Either you received payment or not. As there is d offence you did get paid, stop telling people you didnít.
If The Greek is the guy who owns and runs magictao, I don't think he has any right to critique someone else for bad business practices. Whoever runs magictao is a charlatan.
[quote]On Oct 3, 2019, The Greek wrote:
Chris you are saying you didnít get paid. What was the payment made to you on the 14th of August 2015. You need to stop telling people you are a victim when a full and final settlement was made to you and proof of payment was shown to Peter Nardi. You got sacked due to your dishonesty and all you are trying to do is make someone else out to be the dishonest one.

Chris received a full and final settlement for all work done after he got sacked and started spreading rumours. Donít detract from the matter at hand. You are saying you never got paid. Either you received payment or not. As there is d offence you did get paid, stop telling people you didnít. [/quote]
It's amusing you are trying to portray yourself as a person of honestly and integrity! Yet one only has to read the dozens and dozens of posts on here about your business practices, to make their own minds up. All the threads of people paying you for items they never received, but funnily enough, you didn't respond to those posts.

If anyone is on the fence, I suggest you search for "Magic Tao" on here and elsewhere.

Iain.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Oct 3, 2019 02:57AM)
Being a neutral observant I have to say the Iains and other non-Greek parties are winning this discussion.
One of us is dishonest, I'll let everyone else decide which one.
I don't generally get involved in magician's arguments but I've never met anyone with a bad word to say about Chris yet I know from experience that Magic Tao (or The Greek) is not someone you want to have any dealings with. Still waiting for my order or a refund.....
Just saying a payment was made doesn't prove nothing. You may not have paid all the money actually agreed.A search of your company on here doesn't show your business practises in a great light.
Costas the guy who owns TAOMagic also stole and sold an effect off me. Avoid this guy like the plague.

This guy is an absolute JOKE.

We donít need dishonest people in the magic community.
[quote]On Oct 3, 2019, magicianphiltay wrote:
Costas the guy who owns TAOMagic also stole and sold an effect off me. Avoid this guy like the plague.

This guy is an absolute JOKE.

We donít need dishonest people in the magic community. [/quote]

Unfortunately, though there are those that do tend to crop up now and then. Knowing that this is a re-release and that Peter Nardi has been shown evidence I think I may well buy it. I am 99.9% sure that if the evidence were convincing then Alakazam would not be putting this out. It suggests to me that all is good with them selling it.
The Greek how about not spending time here and use it wisely like... ship/fulfill orders and make some pending refunds... some are still waiting?

Walk the talk.

an example of many as a reminder: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=668313&forum=177
[quote]On Sep 23, 2019, docguitarman wrote:
Perhaps this should be in another thread but Lybrary just released the video for diception for $10.00

https://www.lybrary.com/diception-p-923291.html [/quote]

Good call, Doc.$10 and a couple of decks, bargain! Easy to make up, too
[quote]On Oct 18, 2019, roblane wrote:

Good call, Doc.$10 and a couple of decks, bargain! Easy to make up, too [/quote]

And Costas will make money from that, how about you buy it from Alakazam, or Any dealer as ďRollĒ or from me....?

Or would you rather support someone who rips off his brothers?
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Oct 19, 2019 02:51PM)
I think Chris' suggestion is the right thing to do.
I am a huge fan of card reveals written on the backs of cards. This looks great! Love it, Chris.
Sean Mann, just to clarify. I did by Diception by Chris Congreave. I emailed Alakazam asking them if they would add the new handling to my account since Roll is the same effect. They explained to me after my post and email that they have bought the rights to the trick. Diception was published by Magictao and therefore not an Alakazam product. I fully understand this now. I highly recommend "Roll". It is a fantastic effect. Reminds me of Annihilation Deck by Cameron Francis.Also great.
Thanks Cameron, as Rob mentions above your brilliant effect "Anhialation deck" was a big part of my inspiration for this effect.
[quote]On Oct 19, 2019, chriscongreave wrote:
[quote]On Oct 18, 2019, roblane wrote:

Good call, Doc.$10 and a couple of decks, bargain! Easy to make up, too [/quote]

And Costas will make money from that, how about you buy it from Alakazam, or Any dealer as ďRollĒ or from me....?

Or would you rather support someone who rips off his brothers? [/quote]

Agree - it would be best to buy it directly... I'm heading over to Chris now...

One quick question though Chris. If anyone buys from Lybray.com is that supporting you or is that nothing to do with Roll?
Nothing to do with Roll.
Ok will avoid. Thanks for clarifying.
This is a killer effect love it - bought mine from Alakazam.