(Close Window)
Topic: The Surprise by Think Nguyen video DOWNLOAD
Message: Posted by: Titanas (Sep 17, 2019 02:02PM)
"Fooled me so badly!!! I'd perform this to others just to entertain myself!"
-Zee J. Yan

"I'm on my way to the store to pick up some new jeans because this fooled the pants off me!"
-Richard Sanders

After YEARS of lecturing, Think has NEVER given out the secret.
It has been kept in this personal repertoire. His finale. The effect that is crushing magicians and spectators alike.

And you can learn it RIGHT NOW!

More info:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=65236

Best regards,
Titanas
Message: Posted by: no2ss (Sep 17, 2019 02:09PM)
Every time I swear I'm done with ACAAN style effects a new fascinating one comes along. Have only watched that trailer once and, ***, that looks clean. Am almost afraid to watch it a second time to see if I spot anything.

Reviews, anyone?
Message: Posted by: sjrw (Sep 17, 2019 03:19PM)
Think has fried me with this over and over again.
I asked him to never ever explain it to me because I enjoyed being fooled by it.

But now I'm feeling tempted.
Message: Posted by: dooblehorn (Sep 17, 2019 04:20PM)
Looks great, just wondering how advanced you must be to perform this. How difficult are the moves?
That really I couldn’t see in the demo. I consider myself intermediate with cards but really love acaan
Message: Posted by: TimonK (Sep 17, 2019 04:25PM)
This is great. Think and I teamed up for a double-lecture-tour last year, and this piece was a steady highlight with all who saw it performed.
Message: Posted by: dscanning (Sep 17, 2019 08:28PM)
Why do I feel like I just saw the best scenario possible. I wish we could see a less than perfect scenario, so I could decide if this is a killer effect or another rip-off.
Message: Posted by: Tom G (Sep 17, 2019 09:02PM)
My thoughts too dscanning.
Message: Posted by: Calvin826 (Sep 17, 2019 09:03PM)
[quote]On Sep 17, 2019, dscanning wrote:
Why do I feel like I just saw the best scenario possible. I wish we could see a less than perfect scenario, so I could decide if this is a killer effect or another rip-off. [/quote]

You are correct. Bought this on impulse, should have known better. I wouldn't call it a rip-off as it's an interesting idea, but know that it ain't gonna look like that all the time. Not saying the video was a set-up, but if it wasn't, boy did they get lucky.
Message: Posted by: tester2006 (Sep 17, 2019 09:21PM)
I also ordered on impulse. The trailer shows the best case scenario and audience management is required. This is not self-working.
Message: Posted by: videoman (Sep 17, 2019 09:27PM)
So what percentage of times will the best case scenario happen?
Could someone share their opinion of this? Were you disappointed? Will you use it? How difficult is it?
Message: Posted by: Nathan Alexander (Sep 17, 2019 09:36PM)
I like it and will for sure use it. It's exactly my style, relying on confidence and practice for a great moment.

The only negative is that the trailer feels suggestive (if only by omission) that what you see almost always happens. That being said, practice, intuition and confidence can get this result often enough to make me happy.

It's not for everyone, but I like gutsy and this kind of thinking. While some will hate it (and could rightfully argue about being mislead by lack of acknowledgement of it being the best-case scenario. Think jazz mentalism), I love it.
Message: Posted by: dscanning (Sep 17, 2019 10:23PM)
Nathan, just wondering if you miss, what is the fartherest you will miss (in most cases...3...4...5 cards?), and also, when you say "jazz mentalism", are the 'outs' standard, well-known outs, or are they a new thinking...something that will benefit magician for other effects, as well? I mean, if the outs are something new and different, then I will buy it just for the OUTS!
Message: Posted by: no2ss (Sep 17, 2019 10:47PM)
[quote]On Sep 17, 2019, dscanning wrote:
Nathan, just wondering if you miss, what is the fartherest you will miss (in most cases...3...4...5 cards?), and also, when you say "jazz mentalism", are the 'outs' standard, well-known outs, or are they a new thinking...something that will benefit magician for other effects, as well? I mean, if the outs are something new and different, then I will buy it just for the OUTS! [/quote]

Yes. All of the above is kind of important. And disappointing that the ad copy wasn't more honest about this. I knew there had to be at least some multiple out scenarios since the trailer shows one version where he picks up the next card, and then the demo shows that it was the last card placed down, but am still curious about how frequently that happens and how fooling is it when it's not a best case scenario?
Message: Posted by: Nathan Alexander (Sep 18, 2019 12:13AM)
Oh, a lot of the outs are weak, and he even admits that. In fact, if you can't jazz it within a few attempts, he agrees it really loses strength (it does, and even some of the outs seem ridiculous to me). Yet he says he rarely has to go to far, and I believe him with his experience doing it. If you do Mnemonicosis, you'll understand this (and if you like that you might like this, if you hate it, you'll hate this).

I don't think there's much new, but his approach is novel. Look, it's a nicely pieced together...manipulation, I guess is what I would say, to have a decent-to-potentially-awesome payoff.

There's a trick I learned waaay back when that is so simple, but it still slays and is something I still do with a regular shuffled deck and no prep. Most card guys would see right through it, it's almost insulting because you'd find it in a library book, no hard sleights or gimmickry. But it [i]works[/i]. (Maurice Fogel's Triple Prediction anyone?)

This trick makes me think of that, not in method at all, but just because it's fairly organic and easy to understand what happens.
Message: Posted by: dscanning (Sep 18, 2019 12:31AM)
Thanks, Nathan. You saved me $15 and a letdown.
Message: Posted by: no2ss (Sep 18, 2019 12:48AM)
[quote]On Sep 18, 2019, Nathan Alexander wrote:
Oh, a lot of the outs are weak, and he even admits that. In fact, if you can't jazz it within a few attempts, he agrees it really loses strength (it does, and even some of the outs seem ridiculous to me). Yet he says he rarely has to go to far, and I believe him with his experience doing it. If you do Mnemonicosis, you'll understand this (and if you like that you might like this, if you hate it, you'll hate this).

I don't think there's much new, but his approach is novel. Look, it's a nicely pieced together...manipulation, I guess is what I would say, to have a decent-to-potentially-awesome payoff.

There's a trick I learned waaay back when that is so simple, but it still slays and is something I still do with a regular shuffled deck and no prep. Most card guys would see right through it, it's almost insulting because you'd find it in a library book, no hard sleights or gimmickry. But it [i]works[/i]. (Maurice Fogel's Triple Prediction anyone?)

This trick makes me think of that, not in method at all, but just because it's fairly organic and easy to understand what happens. [/quote]

That's disappointing. Honestly, if the description given had explained most of this *THEN* I probably would have still bought it, because I'm curious about the details/nuances/ideas. But I'm trying not to support dishonest ads these days (and going out of my way to support the more honest ones).
Message: Posted by: Santie321 (Sep 18, 2019 06:38AM)
Magic Café has saved me so much money I should send them a check.
Message: Posted by: Nathan Alexander (Sep 18, 2019 08:44AM)
On the other hand, you get that wonderfully clean effect you see in the demo, and potentially quite often. That's a killer. But yes, it's not for everyone.
Message: Posted by: MurphysNEW (Sep 18, 2019 11:36AM)
Luke Dancy is interviewing Think Nguyen LIVE TODAY at 12pm PST! Get your questions ready now and tune in!
https://www.facebook.com/events/1077377072462868/
Message: Posted by: solidoak (Sep 18, 2019 12:59PM)
Nathan, thanks for your review and honesty. This sounds great for some magicians, but not for me. Best-case scenario adds frustrate me terribly!
Message: Posted by: Luke Dancy (Sep 18, 2019 02:02PM)
I'm live with Think to chat about The Surprise, click here to join us! https://www.facebook.com/MurphysMagicSupplies/videos/733479810406942
Message: Posted by: JosephKerr (Sep 18, 2019 03:36PM)
I feel like there is a lot of value in this effect if for no other reason than
to be exposed to some of Think's approach to magic.
It's the real deal and it's one of the essential frames of mind that differentiates
magicians from someone that does tricks.
He has a philosophy and then he proceeds to demonstrate it. For the price of buying
this guy a lunch you can learn to perform with the frame of mind of etching a memory
in your spectator for life.
Message: Posted by: Luke Dancy (Sep 18, 2019 03:42PM)
Couldn't join us live? Catch the replay now to get ALL the details about The Surprise

[youtube]_Om6CykLZwM[/youtube]
Message: Posted by: Nathan Alexander (Sep 18, 2019 04:39PM)
[quote]On Sep 18, 2019, JosephKerr wrote:
I feel like there is a lot of value in this effect if for no other reason than
to be exposed to some of Think's approach to magic.
It's the real deal and it's one of the essential frames of mind that differentiates
magicians from someone that does tricks.
He has a philosophy and then he proceeds to demonstrate it. For the price of buying
this guy a lunch you can learn to perform with the frame of mind of etching a memory
in your spectator for life. [/quote]

I agree. Wish I had said that. I liked his thoughts on the initial layout of the prediction, too.
Message: Posted by: AndrewI (Sep 18, 2019 05:30PM)
[quote]On Sep 19, 2019, Nathan Alexander wrote:
[quote]On Sep 18, 2019, JosephKerr wrote:
I feel like there is a lot of value in this effect if for no other reason than
to be exposed to some of Think's approach to magic.
It's the real deal and it's one of the essential frames of mind that differentiates
magicians from someone that does tricks.
He has a philosophy and then he proceeds to demonstrate it. For the price of buying
this guy a lunch you can learn to perform with the frame of mind of etching a memory
in your spectator for life. [/quote]
I agree. Wish I had said that. I liked his thoughts on the initial layout of the prediction, too. [/quote]
Fair enough, but then advertise it like that! The way it is being promoted, with a "it's too hard to explain so just watch this video and see!" implies that you're paying for the amazing, fooling effect that you see on the video. It does NOT imply that the video is just one possible outcome, and the absolute best one, and there are others which the creator admits are very weak.
I think it's the advertising, much more than the product, that people are justifiably annoyed by, which renders them less likely to feel warmly about the content.
Message: Posted by: no2ss (Sep 18, 2019 07:20PM)
[quote]On Sep 18, 2019, JosephKerr wrote:
I feel like there is a lot of value in this effect if for no other reason than
to be exposed to some of Think's approach to magic.
It's the real deal and it's one of the essential frames of mind that differentiates
magicians from someone that does tricks.
He has a philosophy and then he proceeds to demonstrate it. For the price of buying
this guy a lunch you can learn to perform with the frame of mind of etching a memory
in your spectator for life. [/quote]

I completely, 100% get that. Indeed, that's why I said that I'm still intrigued by the idea, and WOULD HAVE PURCHASED IT if they had been honest and upfront in the ad copy and/or trailer - even if it meant admitting that the effect doesn't always work out so cleanly. If they had said that this is a best case scenario, but that Think provides such a useful philosophy, blah blah blah, I would have bought it in a second. But the fact that they felt they had to be misleading means I don't want to support that sort of advertising and makes this a lost sale.
Message: Posted by: Tom G (Sep 18, 2019 08:54PM)
I agree the "best scenario" version of the trick being shown is getting old. When a trick doesn't end the way it should and you start tap dancing, people know.
Message: Posted by: nico360 (Sep 19, 2019 02:07AM)
This is the trick that cannot be explained, right?
Message: Posted by: Martin Pulman (Sep 19, 2019 05:17AM)
The only thing that is "the surprise" here is that magic producers are still getting away with such blatant false advertising, lies and utter disdain for their customers.
Message: Posted by: Rizzo (Sep 19, 2019 05:53AM)
[quote]On Sep 19, 2019, nico360 wrote:
This is the trick that cannot be explained, right? [/quote]


It actually is when the CAAN does not pan out
Message: Posted by: pegasus (Sep 19, 2019 05:30PM)
[quote]On Sep 18, 2019, Santie321 wrote:
Magic Café has saved me so much money I should send them a check. [/quote]

Listen to me and you’ll save yourself a bloody fortune. Why oh why would anyone take the plunge on this type of effect, that looks too good to be true, and not be disappointed. Some people will never learn.

There’s a reason they called it the surprise.
Message: Posted by: Ray Haining (Sep 19, 2019 05:47PM)
Yes, follow the old saying, that if something looks too good to be true, it probably is.
Message: Posted by: Nick-V. (Sep 21, 2019 11:38AM)
If and when there really comes a method where a spectator can shuffle the entire deck themselves and then count to any number they thought of AND turn over the arrived card themselves... Let US KNOW. Thank You!
Message: Posted by: Martin Pulman (Sep 22, 2019 09:24AM)
My favourite part of the advertising is:

"If you're the type of magician that relies on self-working gimmicks as a crutch, this effect is definitely not for you."

Yeah, all those cowardly little magicians using a cr*ppy ID with its paltry little 100%-guaranteed-miracle-outcome. Throw away your embarrassing crutches you losers and perform this work of genius, instead!
Message: Posted by: docguitarman (Sep 22, 2019 10:23AM)
The advertising is not completely misleading. The trailer does have a brief clue that the effect does rely on m.o's. It is brief and can fly by. I caught it on the second viewing. It is at 1:22 in the trailer. Which is why I took a pass -- not my cup of tea.

Phil
Message: Posted by: peppermeat2000 (Sep 22, 2019 08:25PM)
I remember as a kid...waaaay before Al Gore invented the internet, ordering magic from a dealers catalog was hit or miss. I realized at 11 years old that the more fantastic the effect read in the advertisement, the more likely it would be a piece of $#@% when I opened up the package it was delivered in.

However, as I became more engaged with magic, I discovered that the premise the piece of $%$#@ effect utilized could be tweaked and possibly improved to lead to a better version of the effect, or a different effect altogether.


Those who order the Surprise will hopefully find SOMETHING within it's content which can be used in some way in other card effects...or better yet a stepping stone to create a cleaner ACCAN that works 100% of the time.
Message: Posted by: tophatter (Sep 23, 2019 02:33AM)
I know remember the days of the catalog Thank God for the Café !!
Message: Posted by: Last Laugh (Sep 23, 2019 10:19AM)
I think this release is actually pretty good. No, it's not necessarily going to be like the trailer every time, but it's 45 minutes of solid thinking on strategies for jazzing.

I'm going to review it more extensively on the next episode of my podcast. Should be out this evening (Monday night US time).
Message: Posted by: Martin Pulman (Sep 23, 2019 12:01PM)
[quote]On Sep 23, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
I think this release is actually pretty good. No, it's not necessarily going to be like the trailer every time, but it's 45 minutes of solid thinking on strategies for jazzing.

I'm going to review it more extensively on the next episode of my podcast. Should be out this evening (Monday night US time). [/quote]

And if it was advertised as a 45 minute exploration of jazz strategies people would have less of an issue with it.

But it isn't. It is advertised as:

"Using a borrowed and freely shuffled deck, this is the most impossible Card At Any Number we've ever seen. Describing it in ad copy just doesn't do it justice, so we're not even going to try. Seriously, go watch the trailer."

As a 'card at any number' it is extremely poor, in my opinion, featuring poorly taught ideas borrowed and half-digested from various sources. Certainly, anyone with a half-decent knowledge of Berglas' and Turner's work on ACAAN will find little here of use. I also found it rather poor as a lecture on jazzing with cards, but that is personal taste.

The blatant misrepresentation in the advertising remains a disgrace.
Message: Posted by: Last Laugh (Sep 23, 2019 01:08PM)
Yeah, it's definitely not a CAAN, and you are correct that it being advertised as such is no good. It's more of a take on Dai Vernon's TTTCBE. It should have been sold as such.

Nonetheless, I learned a few things from it. Admittedly, I haven't read the Berglas Effects book (sadly is out of print).

I also think it's also perhaps worth pointing out that this is a $15 download.
Message: Posted by: pegasus (Sep 23, 2019 03:52PM)
[quote]On Sep 23, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
I think this release is actually pretty good. No, it's not necessarily going to be like the trailer every time, but it's 45 minutes of solid thinking on strategies for jazzing.

I'm going to review it more extensively on the next episode of my podcast. Should be out this evening (Monday night US time). [/quote]

:heckno:
Message: Posted by: Last Laugh (Sep 23, 2019 05:13PM)
Have you seen it or are you commenting on the marketing?
Message: Posted by: Nathan Alexander (Sep 23, 2019 05:25PM)
Again, I think, and agree with Matt, that there's a lot to like about it. Especially for 15 bucks. That I like something someone else doesn't, doesn't make it objectively good, just as others not liking it doesn't make it objectively bad.
Message: Posted by: no2ss (Sep 24, 2019 12:27AM)
[quote]On Sep 23, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
Yeah, it's definitely not a CAAN, and you are correct that it being advertised as such is no good. It's more of a take on Dai Vernon's TTTCBE. It should have been sold as such.

Nonetheless, I learned a few things from it. Admittedly, I haven't read the Berglas Effects book (sadly is out of print).

I also think it's also perhaps worth pointing out that this is a $15 download. [/quote]

Yeah. That's part of what's annoying me about this. I want to get it. I'm interested in his thoughts on jazzing/TTCBE... but I'm trying not to support false advertising, so I'm going to continue to say no. I'd happily spend $15 if it had been advertised accurately. But the only way to get more effects marketed honestly is to not buy the ones that weren't.
Message: Posted by: Last Laugh (Sep 24, 2019 12:53AM)
I went a little more in depth in my podcast:

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcast/09-drew-backenstoss

The review starts at about 1:11:30, but the rest of the show is a really great interview with Drew Backenstoss so might as well listen to the whole thing :)
Message: Posted by: nico360 (Sep 24, 2019 02:34PM)
I just started watching, and yes, the first thing he literally says "It's my take on TTCBE"
So yeah.. nothing really new here
Message: Posted by: GeorgeKerzon (Sep 25, 2019 12:44AM)
Can this be performed by the average magician or does it require a lot of skill?
Message: Posted by: Last Laugh (Sep 25, 2019 12:57AM)
It's more about thinking on your feet than sleight of hand. An important facet of the effect requires a skill that may take a little practice (but is easier than it sounds IMO).
Message: Posted by: nico360 (Sep 25, 2019 03:58AM)
[quote]On Sep 25, 2019, GeorgeKerzon wrote:
Can this be performed by the average magician or does it require a lot of skill? [/quote]
It does not require a lot of skill, although it requires a lot of experience (in my opinion)

Since it's his take on the TTCBE, if you want to get out of certain situations, you need fast thinking and that comes with experience
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 25, 2019 06:57AM)
I thought this was very lack-lustre... mainly because Jermay's GAME is far better...

3/10

needed much better blurb too....
Message: Posted by: Last Laugh (Sep 25, 2019 09:51AM)
Game requires a gimmick, though. And it's twice the price.

Agreed that it's a much more reliable (and better) effect though.
Message: Posted by: magic.99 (May 18, 2020 09:17AM)
[quote]On Sep 24, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
I went a little more in depth in my podcast:

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcast/09-drew-backenstoss

The review starts at about 1:11:30, but the rest of the show is a really great interview with Drew Backenstoss so might as well listen to the whole thing :) [/quote]

Thank you Drew for the honest review on your Podcast! Really enjoyed it! My first response was to buy this right away. Now, I'm going to save the money on the download...
Message: Posted by: Miraclemakers (Aug 28, 2020 08:22PM)
The video is the best scenario you can have, too much possibilities......
for me, no....
Message: Posted by: pegasus (Aug 29, 2020 05:42AM)
I find it incredible that members here still fall for these ‘best case scenario’ demo’s. It’s laughable. :rotf: