(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite color-changing knife routine?
Obviously your own; but where did you learn it? Who influenced you?
One of the better books on the color changing knives is the Ascano World of Knives by Jose De La Torre.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13173

The 1st CC knife routine I got with the knife set, it is a great routine and finale is shocking as the knife penetrates your pocket. This is the best for everyday carrying.

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/empire-color-changing-knives/
Pop Haydn has a fantastic color changing knives routine. It's on his website in the form of notes, and also in his Penguin Live lecture.
[youtube]0CQ8r8OhSqE[/youtube]

The most influential was the routine and thinking of Al Leech with ideas from Johnny Brown, Jay Friedman.
Ascano World of Knives by Jose De La Torre has several method for showing both sides of the knife. Some people have a problem with this basic sleight. It also helps to have other ways of showing and displaying the knife. Not to mention several routines and one by the famous late Fred Kaps.
The DVD CHAMELEON KNIVES by Joe Mogar has everything that you want to know about color-changing knives. Moves and routines. 95 minutes
My routine for the color-changing knives is the Intricate Web of Distraction. There is video above. The instructional video is available here:

https://www.popsmagic.com/store/p39/Pop_Haydn%27s_%22The_Intricate_Web_of_Distraction%22_~_DOWNLOADABLE_VIDEO.html
I have A 2 knives routine Where the One Knive Changes five Times at the end of the Routine ! :) It is in My not just coins Notes !
Another vote for Intricate Web of Distraction.
Doc eason has a very nice clear and direct routine that I like a lot.

pop's is also one I like.
Yet another vote for Intricate Web... I don't think Pop has a bad routine with anything he does! I also like Daryl's routine... and Richard Mendez has been posting some nice videos on the FB Color Changing Knives group.
[quote]On Oct 11, 2019, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:

pop's is also one I like. [/quote]

Doc's routine is a truncated version of my original routine about the "vanishing knife." He shortened the routine to suit his larger set of Roger Lovins knives.
Bill Malone's "Walk Around Knives" on his "On the Loose" DVD set.

Jim
I recently read Matt Schuliens routine at the magic castle library and it seems amazing. Definitely going to work on it in addition to Pop’s routine.
Joe Mogar has everything that you want concerning the CCK:

http://joemogar.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/allknives50.jpg.w180h297.jpg

Available here:

http://www.joemogar.com/

Doug
[quote]On Oct 27, 2019, Pop Haydn wrote:
[quote]On Oct 11, 2019, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:

pop's is also one I like. [/quote]

Doc's routine is a truncated version of my original routine about the "vanishing knife." He shortened the routine to suit his larger set of Roger Lovins knives. [/quote]

I recently added Roger Lovins Magnum knives to my collection. A little thick but I really like them and the larger size makes them more visible. I was previously using a 30+ year old set of Brad Burt's Buck knives, which are also very nice. Just a little too small for my liking.

For the OP... I have both Ascanio's World of Knives and Merrill's Knife Book. Both are worth owning.

For video, one to consider is World's Greatest Magic Color Changing Knives DVD. It features:

Walk Around Knives - Bill Malone
Color Changing Knife - Johnny Thompson
My Pen Knives - René Levand
Color Changing Knives - Steve Draun
Daryl's Color Changing Knives - Daryl

Mark
Right, Mark..If you can find Daryl's knives, and then learn how to
handle them, they are really good...
What makes a good knife routine? What should we look for in a routine?
[quote]On Nov 9, 2019, Pop Haydn wrote:
What makes a good knife routine? What should we look for in a routine? [/quote]

For me, I really like letting the spectator handle the knives. That's why I like the Mogar Stag set with the 2 normal knives. Many times they'll tell people later that they were holding the knife as it changed color!
I agree. I think the trick is pointless unless the audience examines "both" knives.
I had the distinct privilege of seeing the one and only Matt Schulien perform his version of the Color Changing Knives at Schulien's on Irving Park Rd. on a trip to Chicago in 1969. Man, that was SPECIAL! Matt was an exceptionally "hands on" kinda guy.... sitting down with his customers and performing "in their face" Up Close and Personal as they dined and drank at his establishment....and he LITERALLY had them laughing so hard they had tears rolling down their cheeks. What FUN watching that man entertain!!!

In terms of Audience Reaction, it was the strongest I had seen to that point.

Later, I met Scotty York at an early Desert Magic Seminar in Las Vegas......he showed me his routine and I loved it and bought the routine and his knive set.

Most recently, on Pop's Advice....I purchased his "Intricate Web of Distraction".

The Color Changing Knives is a trick that THRIVES on audience participation and "The adventures of their ongoing interaction with the Knives and The Magician as he "Does his thing."
Examinable knives. Audience participation. Those are both important. I think that the routine must be tightly scripted in order to not let the audience get a chance to ask to see the knife.
Pop,
Agreed - Ring out the special ones long before it becomes interesting...
Pop Haydn Is Joe Mogar still making knives? Are Joe's knives still the best? I see most (if not all) places are listing Joe's knives as "out of stock" Im looking to buy a set because I really want to start working on practicing your "intricate web of distraction" but really only want to buy 1 set and so I'm on a hunt for the best knives I can find,
Rodger Lovins will be putting out an amazing set of color-changing knives this month. It is a three knife set that will work with my routine.
Pop,
thanks so much for the quick response! just to clarify are Joe Mogar's "Pop Haydn stag knives" no longer available or are you recommending the ones that Rodger Lovins will be coming out with over Joe's? I'm just super excited to start working on the intricate web & wanna have the best knives to do your routine and the work I'm planning on putting in justice . thanks in advance for the advice
Joe has pretty much stopped making knives, but you may be able to find a set online or in some of the magic shops. The Rodger Lovins knives are the best, but expensive. If you want to make a lifetime investment, the Lovins knives are the way to go. Lanny Kibbey also makes beautiful high end knives.

You can find more knowledgeable people here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/670336429673248/
It is a Facebook group just on the Color-Changing Knives.
Great input as always! I actually joined that faceBook page earlier today. thanks.
Foe everyone's information. I am still making The Stag Knife sets for Pop Haydn's routine. Plus many other routines.
I have fallen way behind due to my wife Joan having a little trouble with her Parkinson's. I have many other favorite
knife sets available. Email me at magicstars@usa.com and see my website www.joemogar.com
Thanks, Joe
Joe,
Its great to hear that your still making knives, are your DVD's still available too? I am very sorry to hear about your wife's troubles. I truly wish her the very best. I know Parkinson's can be very hard on those who have it as well as their loved ones I wish you both strength & patients.
Great to hear that Joe is still making knives. His knives are great, and were designed and are perfect for my routine. They are also the best value price-wise. I have used the Mogar knives for many, many years.
Message: Posted by: thegreatscungilli (Mar 14, 2020 09:39PM)
Favorite routine Pop Haydn's "Intricate Web of Distraction", watching any of Pop's routines is a real treat, if you like Linking Rings his Linking Rings Routine is really good as well. I like Daryl's knife routine as well..

My favorite knives are Joe Mogar's stag set, for me the stag makes it easier to know which knife/side by feel.. . Roger Lovins Knives are superb as well but they are a little too long for my hands...
I am a big fan of "paddle" tricks like the Jumping Gems and the Money Paddle, and I would also like to get into the CC Knives.

I do have one concern about using the knives. Unlike most paddle effects, where the top and bottom edges of the paddle are the same, a penknife has a different top (the small exposed part of the blade) than the bottom (the smooth bottom of the knife). So when the paddle move is used, the exposed top of the knife will end up in a different position in your hand (the top and bottom will be reversed).

Doesn't this look odd to an observant spec, and provide a possible tip to the method? SETH
[quote]On Mar 16, 2020, sethb wrote:
I am a big fan of "paddle" tricks like the Jumping Gems and the Money Paddle, and I would also like to get into the CC Knives.

I do have one concern about using the knives. Unlike most paddle effects, where the top and bottom edges of the paddle are the same, a penknife has a different top (the small exposed part of the blade) than the bottom (the smooth bottom of the knife). So when the paddle move is used, the exposed top of the knife will end up in a different position in your hand (the top and bottom will be reversed).

Doesn't this look odd to an observant spec, and provide a possible tip to the method? SETH [/quote]

I have been doing the knives for more than forty years, and have never had anyone ever notice that discrepancy. They are looking at the color of the handle.
I could see it being a problem if your doing a simple paddle routine with knives but if you do a knife routine that moves along their brain doesn’t have time to question or even notice it. I highly recommend Pop Haydn’s “ Intricate Web of Distraction”
Message: Posted by: thegreatscungilli (Mar 17, 2020 08:25AM)
If you are worried about one side of the knife not having the little groove to open the knife I believe the Rodger Lovins knives have it on both sides..
[quote]On Mar 16, 2020, Pop Haydn wrote:

I have been doing the knives for more than forty years, and have never had anyone ever notice that discrepancy. They are looking at the color of the handle. [/quote]

Thanks Whit, for your thoughts. I think your comment pretty much settles the matter. Maybe I was thinking about this a little too hard! Seth
An observant spectator noticed the blade discrepancy with the Mogar knives when I performed it one on one. During the paddle move the blade will jump from one side to the other. Best to keep it moving and not pause at the top of the move.
[quote]On Mar 17, 2020, Leo H wrote:
An observant spectator noticed the blade discrepancy with the Mogar knives when I performed it one on one. During the paddle move the blade will jump from one side to the other. Best to keep it moving and not pause at the top of the move. [/quote]

What routine were you doing?
[quote]On Mar 17, 2020, Leo H wrote:
An observant spectator noticed the blade discrepancy with the Mogar knives when I performed it one on one. During the paddle move the blade will jump from one side to the other. Best to keep it moving and not pause at the top of the move. [/quote]

Haven't had this problem before... I think because they get to handle both knives before... they are concentrating more on the color change of the knife they just had in their hand than they are the blade position.
It was Michael Skinner's routine, the first half, then I use Johnny Thompson's ending. Skinner's ending is unsatisfying. Afterwards the spectator looked at me deadpan and said something like funny how the blade jumped to the other side. The blades on Mogar knives really stand out. You can hardly see them on Merrill knives.

Some people are really observant of small details. They can surprise us. I performed the routine really close with the individual standing about a foot away. At a bar or restaurant table the distances are greater so the blade discrepancy shouldn't be noticed. A strolling magician might want to stand back just a little and do the paddle move with a bit more hug around the knife.
I wonder if there is something about the way the move is done that lets them notice the turnover. I have never had that problem, and I have done this routine for many years. I suspect it may have to do with the way the moves are done, for example, the knife is "shown" on both sides to the spectator. That should not happen. The move should be done for yourself, as if you are checking to see the back of the knife. If it looks like a move, or you are "proving" with the move, the audience will be on alert. If the knives are handled casually, and the performer uses the Friedman Flip and other convincers, the audience should not be so focused. It is important to have a routine that controls the audience's thinking, and answers their objections before they are voiced. Most color-changing routines have too much proving, and not enough leading. You want to use both hands working separately with two knives as much as possible, to split focus.
Message: Posted by: thegreatscungilli (Mar 18, 2020 02:45PM)
Pop, your comments and advice on this topic have been great and very helpful to me in improving this routine..
BTW, I have used the Mogar Knives for many years and never, ever had the problem of people noticing the knife blade move. The new Boker knives from Rodger Lovins have much less noticeable blades, but it really shouldn't be important. If you ask for agreement in any way, by turning the knife over to show the back of the knife to the spectator, he will want to take the knife and look at it. This is what provokes that response. When you "show" both sides to the audience, it is asking for agreement--"See it is white on both sides." You do that, and the audience is provoked into "checking" and their gaze will sharpen. If you casually check for yourself, and not show towards the audience, they can see "over your shoulder" and check for themselves. Since you are not seeking "agreement" they will not feel they are being tricked.
I think it's also important to note that almost any magic trick or sleight has a weak spot -- bad angles, illogical moves, phony or suspicious-looking props, and so forth.

It's our job to either strengthen or cover up that weak spot, through routining, misdirection or technical work, so that's it's less noticeable or almost invisible. And having good control over the audience helps, too. There is also a fine line between convincing the specs that something is "normal" by your handling or your words, and either handing everything out for examination (never a good idea) or being challenged to do so. SETH
The reason I ask is Professional; I'm now making CC knife sets and want a good beginner and advanced routine to include. (With permission, of course!)
[quote]On Mar 31, 2020, Comedy Writer wrote:
The reason I ask is Professional; I'm now making CC knife sets and want a good beginner and advanced routine to include. (With permission, of course!) [/quote]

Aldo Colombini's routine is one of the best beginner ones because it simplifies bringing knives in and out of play. [url]https://www.lybrary.com/color-changing-knife-routine-p-422235.html[/url]

[youtube]dBTPKOk-TcU[/youtube]